This day on March 29
None

Happy Birthday To: SMURDS, JRock71, Cpt Waffle, TexasOiler, Morgan99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749348]
Thu, 12 December 2019 20:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Minnesota to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749358 is a reply to message #749348 ]
Thu, 12 December 2019 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike is currently online Mike

1 Cup

Whelp. Was fun while it lasted.

Not gonna win many games if we need to score 7.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749361 is a reply to message #749348 ]
Thu, 12 December 2019 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Streaking!!

Honestly, if you score 5, odds are you should get a W.

The goaltending starts are about to get lopsided, I would think, as both are dropping off but Smith is holding an anvil. We'll see how this goes, outside of injuries the season will hinge on goaltending. If the Oilers even had mediocrity tonight in net, this is probably a W.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749368 is a reply to message #749361 ]
Thu, 12 December 2019 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 12 December 2019 20:48

Streaking!!

The goaltending starts are about to get lopsided, I would think, as both are dropping off but Smith is holding an anvil. We'll see how this goes, outside of injuries the season will hinge on goaltending. If the Oilers even had mediocrity tonight in net, this is probably a W.

I'm starting to think giving both goalies no-move clauses may have been a mistake...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749370 is a reply to message #749368 ]
Thu, 12 December 2019 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 12 December 2019 21:38

Streaking!!

I'm starting to think giving both goalies no-move clauses may have been a mistake...

Do they have NMC? I think they only have NTC. We can drop Smith now and save all his bonuses and 1.075M of cap hit :)

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749373 is a reply to message #749370 ]
Thu, 12 December 2019 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 12 December 2019 21:53

Streaking!!

Do they have NMC? I think they only have NTC. We can drop Smith now and save all his bonuses and 1.075M of cap hit :)

The NMC clause only applies high on the glove side.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749377 is a reply to message #749373 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Thu, 12 December 2019 21:31

Streaking!!

The NMC clause only applies high on the glove side.

That's freaking GOLD!! rofl

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749374 is a reply to message #749370 ]
Thu, 12 December 2019 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Streaking!!

Hmmm...Capfriendly saying full no-trade, but not no-move for Smith. Modified no-trade for Koskinen - he can pick 15 teams he'd go to.

Honestly, I'd be pretty tempted if a decent back-up goes on the waiver wire to make a claim...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749375 is a reply to message #749374 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Thu, 12 December 2019 22:09

Hmmm...Capfriendly saying full no-trade, but not no-move for Smith. Modified no-trade for Koskinen - he can pick 15 teams he'd go to.

Honestly, I'd be pretty tempted if a decent back-up goes on the waiver wire to make a claim...

It's not even a question at this point. In Mike Smith's last 57 games, he's a sub .900 goaltender. Time to move on. When someone else comes available, put him on waivers and grab the best option out there.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749434 is a reply to message #749375 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 13 December 2019 00:08

Adam wrote on Thu, 12 December 2019 22:09

It's not even a question at this point. In Mike Smith's last 57 games, he's a sub .900 goaltender. Time to move on. When someone else comes available, put him on waivers and grab the best option out there.

So it's being reported that the Penguins tried to trade Tristan Jarry all summer with no takers. Might have been nice to get him instead of that late pick for John Marino...and we would have significantly more cap room too!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749438 is a reply to message #749434 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Mike Smith is trash

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749365 is a reply to message #749348 ]
Thu, 12 December 2019 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Smith post game.

Interviewer - “How do you think it went? I mean personally for yourself?”

Smith - “I mean...there was some breakdowns in our zone that ah, you know...as a goalie want to cover those mistakes up and make some saves. And ah, you know the last two games you let in six as a group you’re not going to fair too well, so..”

When I mess up at work, I like to rationalize too.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749366 is a reply to message #749348 ]
Thu, 12 December 2019 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

This is needed. Hopefully Holland wasn’t fooled enough by the first two months to think that no further work is needed.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749367 is a reply to message #749348 ]
Thu, 12 December 2019 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Score 5 and still find a way to lose against Minny.

https://i.imgur.com/l2Cmq2c.gif

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749449 is a reply to message #749367 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 12 December 2019 21:34

Score 5 and still find a way to lose against Minny.

https://i.imgur.com/l2Cmq2c.gif

lol. Roy Munson, the everyman's hero.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749371 is a reply to message #749348 ]
Thu, 12 December 2019 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Coach’s loss.

All on Tippett. Koskinen should've started. No? Should’ve been brought in after the 3rd goal on 9 shots. Should’ve started the 3rd.

Smith’s glove hand was atrocious. Brutal. Disgusting. Etc......

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749380 is a reply to message #749371 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

No Cups

Surprised there wasn't a goalie change after 3 goals.
Need less of Smith.
But this is how I expected the team to go, not many upgrades from last year besides getting rid of Lucic.
Nurse fight was pretty good.

Look at that Calgary now is tied with Edmonton in points..... who knew. Next up Vegas and Vancouver.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749394 is a reply to message #749348 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

No Cups

As bad as the goaltending has been the past few games - and make no mistake, the goaltending has been pretty bad, the Oilers defensive coverage has been equally horrid. Too many players have no idea how or who to cover in most situations.

I don't know about anyone else, but the pass to Staal last night before he ripped home the winner was so obvious. He was just stood there for a few seconds while Dumba played with the puck. No one was close to him.

Two nights before, those two goals that Carolina tapped in on the backdoor... was anyone close to those players? How do you let someone just roam around your net and pay no attention to them?

I don't know if players are cheating for offence cause they feel they have to, or if they simply aren't aware of what/where they need to be. But until the team tightens up in their own end, the mediocre goalies that the team is putting out there don't stand a chance.

It's too bad that Shane Starett is still recovering. This would be the perfect opportunity to see what he's capable of at this level. He carried Bakersfield last year through the middle of the season. The Oilers could use that kind of support now.

Twitter: @AitchOil

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749397 is a reply to message #749394 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Hibernia wrote on Fri, 13 December 2019 09:10

As bad as the goaltending has been the past few games - and make no mistake, the goaltending has been pretty bad, the Oilers defensive coverage has been equally horrid. Too many players have no idea how or who to cover in most situations.

I don't know about anyone else, but the pass to Staal last night before he ripped home the winner was so obvious. He was just stood there for a few seconds while Dumba played with the puck. No one was close to him.

Two nights before, those two goals that Carolina tapped in on the backdoor... was anyone close to those players? How do you let someone just roam around your net and pay no attention to them?

I don't know if players are cheating for offence cause they feel they have to, or if they simply aren't aware of what/where they need to be. But until the team tightens up in their own end, the mediocre goalies that the team is putting out there don't stand a chance.

It's too bad that Shane Starett is still recovering. This would be the perfect opportunity to see what he's capable of at this level. He carried Bakersfield last year through the middle of the season. The Oilers could use that kind of support now.

I'd agree with that. There's been a few pretty scrambly plays the last couple of games. Worth noting though, the Oilers dominated the stats last night - so while they had some glaring errors, they were pushing the play the other way most of the night - it's pretty deflating when you can't allow shots, knowing every fourth or fifth one is going to hit the back of the net.

Same thing as the Buffalo game - the Oilers overcame a rough start and played pretty well in attack, but when they break down, they break down hard.

5 on 5 numbers still are pretty awful for the whole team - even 97 & 29 aren't shining there any more (although I suspect exhaustion plays a role there - hopefully they get a good break over Christmas).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749398 is a reply to message #749397 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 13 December 2019 09:18

I'd agree with that. There's been a few pretty scrambly plays the last couple of games. Worth noting though, the Oilers dominated the stats last night - so while they had some glaring errors, they were pushing the play the other way most of the night - it's pretty deflating when you can't allow shots, knowing every fourth or fifth one is going to hit the back of the net.

Same thing as the Buffalo game - the Oilers overcame a rough start and played pretty well in attack, but when they break down, they break down hard.

5 on 5 numbers still are pretty awful for the whole team - even 97 & 29 aren't shining there any more (although I suspect exhaustion plays a role there - hopefully they get a good break over Christmas).

Think it's a feedback loop. When the players start realizing they aren't getting saves anymore, we start going into an scared panicky mode in our zone, which just leads to more mistakes.

This is not a team that can consistently overcome weak goaltending. Just not enough good players. We are stuck waiting now for one of these goalies to reinstill confidence in the players. Let us all pray to the hockey gods.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749399 is a reply to message #749398 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 13 December 2019 09:22

Think it's a feedback loop. When the players start realizing they aren't getting saves anymore, we start going into an scared panicky mode in our zone, which just leads to more mistakes.

This is not a team that can consistently overcome weak goaltending. Just not enough good players. We are stuck waiting now for one of these goalies to reinstill confidence in the players. Let us all pray to the hockey gods.

It's true - and Smith wasn't just bad, he was horrible. Here's the take from Bruce McCurdy:

Quote:

#41 Mike Smith, 1. He fought the puck and the puck won. Allowed 2 goals in each period, never facing more than 10 shots in any of them. Failed to catch an eye high wrist shot from distance on his first test, instead whacking the puck off of Greenway and into the net. Was beaten cleanly on the glove side for the next four tallies, just above the leather in all four cases. No chance at all on the final tally, a one-time rocket to the stick side by an uncovered opponent. But on a night the Oilers desperately needed a couple of big saves, none were forthcoming. His stretch of weak play has now entered its second month, during which time he has posted a save percentage of .870 or below in 7 of his last 9 appearances (all Edmonton losses). Heck, in three of them he was below .770, including this one. 26 shots, 20 saves, .769 save percentage.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /player-grades-oilers-pump-home-five-goals-but-still-find-a- way-to-lose-to-wild

There's some other glaring holes on the roster - the depth forwards aren't good enough, but we've said that all year. And the defence have two youngsters, two guys in Larsson & Russell who struggle to make plays with the puck many nights, and then Nurse and Klefbom. Klefbom's played almost 20 minutes more than any other player in the league - so there's probably a fair bit of exhaustion there too.

It's a little crazy to look at the TOI leaders and see:

#1 - Oscar Klefbom
#15 - Leon Draisaitl (#1 among forwards - 15 mins more than McDavid)
#17 - Darnell Nurse
#21 - Connor McDavid #2 among forwards - 50 mins more than #3 Eichel)

Tippett is playing the wheels off these guys, which is as damning a statement as you can make about the team's depth. It's not that surprising that those four are struggling to continue their early season form - they're being played too much and it takes its toll.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749400 is a reply to message #749399 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

One more TOI piece to add, looking at rookies:

#1 Ethan Bear - 715:20
#2 Quinn Hughes - 644:16

I initially missed it, but Ethan Bear is currently #36 in the entire league as an NHL rookie. That's insane.

After Bear, the Oilers only have one other player in the top 200 in minutes played - James Neal at #178.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749401 is a reply to message #749399 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 13 December 2019 09:32

It's true - and Smith wasn't just bad, he was horrible. Here's the take from Bruce McCurdy:

Quote:

#41 Mike Smith, 1. He fought the puck and the puck won. Allowed 2 goals in each period, never facing more than 10 shots in any of them. Failed to catch an eye high wrist shot from distance on his first test, instead whacking the puck off of Greenway and into the net. Was beaten cleanly on the glove side for the next four tallies, just above the leather in all four cases. No chance at all on the final tally, a one-time rocket to the stick side by an uncovered opponent. But on a night the Oilers desperately needed a couple of big saves, none were forthcoming. His stretch of weak play has now entered its second month, during which time he has posted a save percentage of .870 or below in 7 of his last 9 appearances (all Edmonton losses). Heck, in three of them he was below .770, including this one. 26 shots, 20 saves, .769 save percentage.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /player-grades-oilers-pump-home-five-goals-but-still-find-a- way-to-lose-to-wild

There's some other glaring holes on the roster - the depth forwards aren't good enough, but we've said that all year. And the defence have two youngsters, two guys in Larsson & Russell who struggle to make plays with the puck many nights, and then Nurse and Klefbom. Klefbom's played almost 20 minutes more than any other player in the league - so there's probably a fair bit of exhaustion there too.

#1 - Oscar Klefbom
#17 - Darnell Nurse

Tippett is playing the wheels off these guys, which is as damning a statement as you can make about the team's depth. It's not that surprising that those four are struggling to continue their early season form - they're being played too much and it takes its toll.

From the stats, it looks like Klef, McDavid and Drai were still our best players. And they keep racking up points. Certainly looks like Nurse/Bear struggled, but that's not unexpected to happen now and then. I didn't watch the game, just going by Corsi % which Drai dominated, Mcdavid not far behind.

Same issue as it's been for a while, depth sucks, and a return to goalies not making any saves. Our depth players sure as heck should not be experiencing any exhaustion :) Neither should the goalies.

[Updated on: Fri, 13 December 2019 09:40]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749405 is a reply to message #749401 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 13 December 2019 09:38

Quote:

#1 - Oscar Klefbom
#17 - Darnell Nurse

From the stats, it looks like Klef, McDavid and Drai were still our best players. And they keep racking up points. Certainly looks like Nurse/Bear struggled, but that's not unexpected to happen now and then. I didn't watch the game, just going by Corsi % which Drai dominated, Mcdavid not far behind.

Same issue as it's been for a while, depth sucks, and a return to goalies not making any saves. Our depth players sure as heck should not be experiencing any exhaustion :) Neither should the goalies.

Gagner line was good too - outshot the Wild when they were on the ice by a rate of 3-to-1.

I think you see the exhaustion play out on the backcheck. McDavid isn't catching people and stripping them like we're used to. They're getting out-muscled at times too.

Klefbom is among the league leaders for worst +/- now at -18, and that's after going +2 last night.

These guys still are the best players, but I don't think they're playing at the same level as they were and I think they're bleeding 5-on-5 goals where we wouldn't expect them to now.

With the depth, I just can't blame Riley Sheahan when ideally we have better players and he's not even in the lineup most nights. We made a bunch of low end gambles on depth, and most of them aren't really paying off. We really needed 1-2 more top-six players, so that the bottom end is in the pressbox or the AHL and we have three better lines.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749406 is a reply to message #749405 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 13 December 2019 09:49

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 13 December 2019 09:38

Quote:

#1 - Oscar Klefbom
#17 - Darnell Nurse

Gagner line was good too - outshot the Wild when they were on the ice by a rate of 3-to-1.

I think you see the exhaustion play out on the backcheck. McDavid isn't catching people and stripping them like we're used to. They're getting out-muscled at times too.

Klefbom is among the league leaders for worst +/- now at -18, and that's after going +2 last night.

These guys still are the best players, but I don't think they're playing at the same level as they were and I think they're bleeding 5-on-5 goals where we wouldn't expect them to now.

With the depth, I just can't blame Riley Sheahan when ideally we have better players and he's not even in the lineup most nights. We made a bunch of low end gambles on depth, and most of them aren't really paying off. We really needed 1-2 more top-six players, so that the bottom end is in the pressbox or the AHL and we have three better lines.

Not to hate on McDrai, but I've found their defensive effort has been poor since game 1 this year. Not sure what to really make of it. Maybe they just knew how the year was gonna go again and have decided that D zone time is energy saving time. If we do manage to improve the depth over the next 2 years, hopefully that changes. Drai has been better than McDavid in our end. McDavid, I have been noticing him coasting all year in our zone. Surprised Matheson hasn't been talking about it yet :) Maybe he doesn't want to get hammered on twitter again.

Statistically, McDrai have had poor analytics on average all year. At least by their standards.

[Updated on: Fri, 13 December 2019 09:54]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749408 is a reply to message #749406 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 13 December 2019 09:51

Not to hate on McDrai, but I've found their defensive effort has been poor since game 1 this year. Not sure what to really make of it. Maybe they just knew how the year was gonna go again and have decided that D zone time is energy saving time. If we do manage to improve the depth over the next 2 years, hopefully that changes. Drai has been better than McDavid in our end. McDavid, I have been noticing him coasting all year in our zone. Surprised Matheson hasn't been talking about it yet :)

He was +9 in October - but he's been -7 since. If they're able to tilt the ice, then I don't really care if they're not completely responsible - but when they're getting outscored at 5v5, it's a concern. To my eyes, they've been worse as the season's gone on, and I think the time on ice, as well as the long shift length both contribute to that. I don't mind them playing the full 2 minutes on the PP, but it would be good to see the coaching compensate for that in other ways, and instead you often see shifts that go on one or two rushes longer than you expect.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749409 is a reply to message #749408 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 13 December 2019 10:03

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 13 December 2019 09:51

Not to hate on McDrai, but I've found their defensive effort has been poor since game 1 this year. Not sure what to really make of it. Maybe they just knew how the year was gonna go again and have decided that D zone time is energy saving time. If we do manage to improve the depth over the next 2 years, hopefully that changes. Drai has been better than McDavid in our end. McDavid, I have been noticing him coasting all year in our zone. Surprised Matheson hasn't been talking about it yet :)

He was +9 in October - but he's been -7 since. If they're able to tilt the ice, then I don't really care if they're not completely responsible - but when they're getting outscored at 5v5, it's a concern. To my eyes, they've been worse as the season's gone on, and I think the time on ice, as well as the long shift length both contribute to that. I don't mind them playing the full 2 minutes on the PP, but it would be good to see the coaching compensate for that in other ways, and instead you often see shifts that go on one or two rushes longer than you expect.

They were getting the saves in October. Goalies have needed to be really good with the 1st line out this year, and that stopped happening in Nov for one goalie, and now both in Dec. I think they have been at or below 50% corsi since the start of the season. They still created more quality than they give up on average of course.

Don't disagree that they may be slowing down a bit, and Drai specifically may be noticeably run down, or maybe even fighting through some kind of injury now. Not sure he's been the same since he took that head shot (think he slid/fell into a guys elbow) a week or 2 ago. But I do think there was a notable shift in defensive effort from game 1 this year.

[Updated on: Fri, 13 December 2019 10:10]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749414 is a reply to message #749409 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Just was curious howMcDrai's seasons have gone month by month, just by analytics:

October 5v5:
McDavid with Drai: CF 50.00%, xGF 50.07%, HDCF 53.01%, GF 73.91% - 205 minutes
McDavid w/o Drai: CF 46.38%, xGF 46.07%, HDCF 46.15%, GF 0.00% - 40 minutes
Drai w/o McDavid: CF 39.29%, xGF 50.12%, HDCF 46.15%, GF 33.33% - 31 minutes

November 5v5:
McDavid with Drai: CF 45.97%, xGF 49.92%, HDCF 50.96%, GF 48.15% - 204minutes
McDavid w/o Drai: CF 51.43%, xGF 40.20%, HDCF 53.85%, GF 60.00% - 21 minutes
Drai w/o McDavid: CF 46.43%, xGF 52.90%, HDCF 33.33%, GF 66.67% - 20 minutes

December 5v5:
McDavid with Drai: CF 37.89%, xGF 30.60%, HDCF 40.00%, GF 16.67% - 45 minutes
McDavid w/o Drai: CF 58.33%, xGF 72.74%, HDCF 78.95%, GF 75.00% - 59 minutes
Drai w/o McDavid: CF 41.49%, xGF 36.06%, HDCF 37.50%, GF 20.00% - 54 minutes

Oct and Nov are pretty similar in terms of quality they produced together. xGF same for both 5v5. Only, the luck ran out. More started going in against us, and opposing goalies were making more stops.

December though, McDavid seems OK, but Drai has really fallen off the map. Hurt and/or just plain exhausted. I could never see him being able to handle the minutes McDavid plays. Drai has so much more weight to carry around and grinds on the boards so much more. Couple considerations as well would be McDavid's recovery from injury, but also that the quality of competition was easier in oct I believe.

Overall, the only stats that look like prime McDavid are December away from Drai. Everything else is below what he achieved in the past.

[Updated on: Fri, 13 December 2019 12:01]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749403 is a reply to message #749348 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

What's the Oilers record since Adam Larsson has come back from injury? Obviously it's not him in net but I remember being jacked when he was coming back since the Oilers were killing it even without him.

Maybe Matt Benning is really that much of a factor.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749407 is a reply to message #749403 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

WhoreableGuy wrote on Fri, 13 December 2019 09:42

What's the Oilers record since Adam Larsson has come back from injury? Obviously it's not him in net but I remember being jacked when he was coming back since the Oilers were killing it even without him.

We all knew this team is built around a superstar. If that player doesn’t make the difference we lose the game. That man’s name is Matt Benning and he has been out for this entire losing streak.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749410 is a reply to message #749407 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 13 December 2019 09:52

WhoreableGuy wrote on Fri, 13 December 2019 09:42

We all knew this team is built around a superstar. If that player doesn’t make the difference we lose the game. That man’s name is Matt Benning and he has been out for this entire losing streak.

lmao
Bingo!

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749421 is a reply to message #749348 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Hate to lay all the blame for losses on the goaltenders but in this case it's pretty obvious that a couple of key saves would have made the difference. The team defense needs to take some heat for it too though, just giving up too many grade A chances because of lack of defensive awareness and effort on the back check. Smith looked pretty small in the net which is an indicator of lack of confidence. It's not like they're getting dominated in offensive zone time, just the quality of chances they give up due to poor decisions without the puck. Really need a win next game to stop the bleeding. I expect like some have mentioned on here that burn out by overworked players is becoming a real factor now.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749422 is a reply to message #749421 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Is hating the Oilers a hate crime?

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749427 is a reply to message #749422 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I am not going to say much about the game other than they need a stop. I get that guys make mistakes, guys make bad reads, guys make a bad give away. Those aren't Oilers things, that's every team things. There is another team who's physically trying their best to force you to make mistakes. Every mistake you make can't be an automatic goal.

The first goal against was terrible. Catch the freaking puck!! That's all you have to do is catch it. That can't go in.

I didn't like the 3rd goal. Mid body, glove side from a guy who's not a goal scorer. If it's Ovie, I get it. Marcus Foligno? He has a career high 13 goals 3 yrs ago. Would it have been a good save, sure. But NHL goalies are supposed to make good saves all the time. Make a stop.

I HATED the 4th goal. 2 on one, I thought Bear played it decent. He cut off the pass, pushed the guy to the outside. The player didn't have a ton to shoot at. Smith saw him the WHOLE way. Mid body so it's not even top shelf. Again it would have been a good save but make a stop.

Then they tie it up. Staal goal was a onetimer but it was from a bit of range and again, it wasn't top shelf, mid body.

Then the 6th goal. Smith goes out, stops the puck behind the net. Jones is coming and could have easily played it and been fine but it's Smith so he has to play it. So he fires a grenade pass to Nurse. Now Nurse fanned on the pass but he had like half a second to do something. The Minnie guy knew EXACTLY what Smith was doing. He telegraphed it so he was coming full tilt into Nurse. So Nurse goes "Oh crap!!"because he sees the guy coming and has to get rid of it in a split second. All Smith had to do was stop it and nothing happens. Oh no!!!

You can't win if you have to score 6 or 7 a night. The Oilers scored 4 legit goals, a 5th with the empty net and they STILL lost. They need to be better as a team but they need some bloody stops.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749431 is a reply to message #749348 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

It’s okay, the top line of McDraissian is back together.

Today’s practice lines;
Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Granlund-RNH-Chiasson
Neal-Haas-Gagner
Khaira-Sheahan-Archibald

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749433 is a reply to message #749431 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 13 December 2019 13:12

Today’s practice lines;
Granlund-RNH-Chiasson
Neal-Haas-Gagner
Khaira-Sheahan-Archibald

Poor Nuge.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #34) [message #749456 is a reply to message #749431 ]
Fri, 13 December 2019 20:34 Go to previous message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 13 December 2019 12:12

Today’s practice lines;
Granlund-RNH-Chiasson
Neal-Haas-Gagner
Khaira-Sheahan-Archibald

Your gifted in the art of portmanteau my good sir! I really liked McDropkins.

RNH be like "come home Hallsy!"

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #35)
Next Topic:Review: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca