This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749021]
Tue, 10 December 2019 03:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   0%
Carolina to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2019-20 Regular Season
Tuesday, December 10, 2019Carolina 6 @ Edmonton 3Loss
Sunday, February 16, 2020Edmonton 4 @ Carolina 3 (OT)Win
Home Record: 0-1-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 1-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 3/4 Total: 7
Home / Road Goals Against: 6/3 Total: 9

2018-19 Regular Season
Sunday, January 20, 2019Carolina 7 @ Edmonton 4Loss
Friday, February 15, 2019Edmonton 1 @ Carolina 3Loss
Home Record: 0-1-0       Road Record: 0-1-0       Overall Record: 0-2-0
Home / Road Goals For: 4/1 Total: 5
Home / Road Goals Against: 7/3 Total: 10

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749023 is a reply to message #749021 ]
Tue, 10 December 2019 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Urgent: How must of a win is this one?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749024 is a reply to message #749023 ]
Tue, 10 December 2019 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 10 December 2019 09:39

Urgent: How must of a win is this one?

MUSTIEST of wins.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749027 is a reply to message #749021 ]
Tue, 10 December 2019 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Bro, Flames are only 4 points back of the Oilers.

Bro, the Oilers are only 5 points ahead of the last Wild Card team.

This is a MUST WIN.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Pregame: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749028 is a reply to message #749027 ]
Tue, 10 December 2019 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Let me check my notes.

hmmm, We lost last game so yes, this is a scheduled win.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Pregame: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749030 is a reply to message #749028 ]
Tue, 10 December 2019 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

The good news is I think they are playing the good goalie so maybe they have a chance. Someone tell McDavid and Leon they play today so they need to show up.

Re: Pregame: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749037 is a reply to message #749030 ]
Tue, 10 December 2019 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 10 December 2019 09:04

The good news is I think they are playing the good goalie so maybe they have a chance. Someone tell McDavid and Leon they play today so they need to show up.

That's good to hear. Everyone seems to love Smith so much, but he is not best goalie on this team and should be getting less starts.

Re: Pregame: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749038 is a reply to message #749037 ]
Tue, 10 December 2019 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Pseudoreality wrote on Tue, 10 December 2019 10:13

That's good to hear. Everyone seems to love Smith so much, but he is not best goalie on this team and should be getting less starts.

They seem to be separating, for sure. It's important for Smith to get starts though because Koskinen can't be ridden and thrive. Smith just has to be average when he starts, which yes, should be less.

I think if the top line manages the puck and d zone coverage better and , they'll be fine. There will be games where they just don't go in for the top line, and in those games they can't be turning pucks over and being liabilities defensively.

Re: Pregame: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749044 is a reply to message #749037 ]
Tue, 10 December 2019 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I have no problem with Smith. He did his job. He came in, pushed Koskinen to be better, gave the Oilers quality starts and took away games to lessen the work load. But he is 37 yrs old, he is a back up at this point in his career. I would even say he's a good back up. But he's a back up so they need to play him like a back up.

Re: Pregame: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749056 is a reply to message #749044 ]
Tue, 10 December 2019 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 10 December 2019 10:50

I have no problem with Smith. He did his job. He came in, pushed Koskinen to be better, gave the Oilers quality starts and took away games to lessen the work load. But he is 37 yrs old, he is a back up at this point in his career. I would even say he's a good back up. But he's a back up so they need to play him like a back up.

Smith had a similar start last season with the Flames, lost the job to Rittich.

He eventually got the job back and became the starter and their MVP all the way to the playoffs, I think Rittich had only 5 losses all season last year but Smith never gave the reigns back.

I'd ride Koskinen more obviously but Smith has shown he can finish strong.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Pregame: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749061 is a reply to message #749056 ]
Tue, 10 December 2019 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Tue, 10 December 2019 11:40

He eventually got the job back and became the starter and their MVP all the way to the playoffs, I think Rittich had only 5 losses all season last year but Smith never gave the reigns back.

It is amazing how much people are willing to forgive with regards to Mike Smith. He was a bad signing, and other than a few games at the start, he's shown that.

Given the stats last year, it was probably foolish of the Flames to play Smith (.898 sv%) over Rittich (.911) in the playoffs. It didn't matter in the end - Smith actually played really well against Colorado in that short sample size but the team couldn't score.

This year, despite a hot start, he's down to .903 for save percentage - which is really bad considering he was .919 in October. His stats in the 9 games he's played since have been atrocious. He's currently 35th out of 50 for goalies playing over 10 games this year, but if he continues to play at the level he's been at the last 5 weeks, he'll finish near the very bottom of that list.

I hope that he rebounds and plays a little better, but at this point - at his age, and given where he's been at the last couple of years, I think we're fooling ourselves if we think he's going to be a lot better.

The bad news is that we need him - I don't think we can over-play Koskinen and expect him to be successful. Smith has a no-move clause so it is unlikely we'd even be able to shove him aside unfortunately.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749072 is a reply to message #749061 ]
Tue, 10 December 2019 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

All I'm saying is the Oilers should play Smith a little less, and not be affraid to pull him when he lets in 3 in the first.

Re: Pregame: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749064 is a reply to message #749056 ]
Tue, 10 December 2019 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Tue, 10 December 2019 10:40

Here is the thing about goalies. For the most part, they are very unpredictable. And it makes sense. If you stop 28/30 shots every night, you are probably winning the Vezina (.933 save %). If you stop 27/30 shots every night, you are on your way out of the league (.900 save %). The room for error is so slim. There are very few goalies in this league that you can count on long term with some predictability that they will be in the top half of starters.

But you can still try and make smart bets. However, Mike Smith is 38 in March. One thing that is inevitable is that he will fall off of a cliff in the near future, only due to age. It may have already begun. It may begin next year or the year after that. But this is something we actually can safely predict. So I am not liking the odds of Mike Smith rebounding for an MVP season after he has posted .900 in his last 60 games. Maybe he will make a big comeback, maybe he won't...but I don't think it's something we should look forward to.

Clean house or bust

Re: Pregame: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749035 is a reply to message #749021 ]
Tue, 10 December 2019 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

I know I say this every game day... but tonight is a MUST WIN!

Seriously. The division and the conference is pretty tight. Arizona and Calgary play tonight, so one is guaranteed 2 points.

Keep up this recent play and the Oilers will/may be out of a playoff spot this time next week.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33) [message #749095 is a reply to message #749021 ]
Tue, 10 December 2019 18:26 Go to previous message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

https://media2.giphy.com/media/sDwSCyqDOPnmE/giphy.gif

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Previous Topic:GDT: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #33)
Next Topic:GDT: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #32)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca