This day on March 29
None

Happy Birthday To: SMURDS, JRock71, Cpt Waffle, TexasOiler, Morgan99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #32)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #32) [message #748946]
Sun, 08 December 2019 20:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final (OT)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Buffalo to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #32) [message #748947 is a reply to message #748946 ]
Sun, 08 December 2019 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Drai was brutal in OT...

Re: Review: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #32) [message #748948 is a reply to message #748946 ]
Sun, 08 December 2019 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Good moral victory against a Sabres team that played the night before and went to OT then too. Good job, Oilers. icon_rolleyes icon_rolleyes icon_rolleyes icon_rolleyes icon_rolleyes icon_rolleyes icon_rolleyes icon_rolleyes icon_rolleyes

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #32) [message #748949 is a reply to message #748948 ]
Sun, 08 December 2019 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

what is going on with 29 the last week? brutal

Re: Review: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #32) [message #748957 is a reply to message #748949 ]
Sun, 08 December 2019 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Sun, 08 December 2019 20:34

what is going on with 29 the last week? brutal

There was a play he was shaken up on about a week ago - can't remember which game, but I remember the commentators saying he looked hurt. He was back pretty soon afterwards, but I wonder if he's not nursing something. He looked off all night tonight.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #32) [message #748952 is a reply to message #748946 ]
Sun, 08 December 2019 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

The dynamic duo weren't so dynamic in this one but over all not a bad team effort. It sucks to lose but a point is better than no points. Nygard with a really strong game.

[Updated on: Sun, 08 December 2019 22:01]

Re: Review: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #32) [message #748953 is a reply to message #748946 ]
Sun, 08 December 2019 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Welp, we can lose the next 7 straight now in regulation and stuff have a better finish to 2019 than we did 2018 now.

Mission accomplished!

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #32) [message #748954 is a reply to message #748946 ]
Sun, 08 December 2019 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

I'd like to try Bear in OT with McD and LD, Klef just doesn't seem mobile enough.
LD looking pretty dopey out there in OT, feet stopped moving, coaches needs to highlight that.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #32) [message #748961 is a reply to message #748954 ]
Sun, 08 December 2019 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

I can understand the reasoning, and I can't say in a similar situation I wouldn't do the same thing, but Tippett has to move away from McD and Drai as the only go to solution this team has. It was clear through the game that neither were particularly playing well and luck wasn't favouring either of them.

So why not send out the second unit first in OT, why did he persist with the first PP unit for so long when it wasn't working? We bemoan our secondary scoring, but if the primary scorers are having a off day, then give the others a chance, how must it feel to be stuck watching them two struggle as they did tonight, knowing that no matter what you won't get a chance.

I've seen Tippett do this a few times now and as I say I can see why he does it as all it takes is a bit of fortune for the top two guys, but I feel it hurts the team when it's clear it isn't going right for them. He'd bench someone off the other lines for the performance that Drai and McD put in tonight, and I'm not suggesting he goes that far, but reduce the shifts, let someone lead the team if they are playing well.

Apart from that moan, we blew this game in the first period, didn't really recover and once Drai had hit the post in the third you knew what was going to happen. I was just happy it went to OT, rather than them scoring with say 20 seconds to go which what would have happened a year or so ago.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #32) [message #748963 is a reply to message #748961 ]
Sun, 08 December 2019 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Leia wrote on Sun, 08 December 2019 23:22

I can understand the reasoning, and I can't say in a similar situation I wouldn't do the same thing, but Tippett has to move away from McD and Drai as the only go to solution this team has. It was clear through the game that neither were particularly playing well and luck wasn't favouring either of them.

So why not send out the second unit first in OT, why did he persist with the first PP unit for so long when it wasn't working? We bemoan our secondary scoring, but if the primary scorers are having a off day, then give the others a chance, how must it feel to be stuck watching them two struggle as they did tonight, knowing that no matter what you won't get a chance.

I've seen Tippett do this a few times now and as I say I can see why he does it as all it takes is a bit of fortune for the top two guys, but I feel it hurts the team when it's clear it isn't going right for them. He'd bench someone off the other lines for the performance that Drai and McD put in tonight, and I'm not suggesting he goes that far, but reduce the shifts, let someone lead the team if they are playing well.

Apart from that moan, we blew this game in the first period, didn't really recover and once Drai had hit the post in the third you knew what was going to happen. I was just happy it went to OT, rather than them scoring with say 20 seconds to go which what would have happened a year or so ago.

Worth mentioning - I thought McDavid was decent. Had some great chances, including that cross-bar. His linemates struggled to hit him with passes, but I didn't think 97 was the problem this game. I thought Kassian and Draisaitl both had tough games.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #32) [message #748964 is a reply to message #748963 ]
Sun, 08 December 2019 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 08 December 2019 23:25

Leia wrote on Sun, 08 December 2019 23:22

Worth mentioning - I thought McDavid was decent. Had some great chances, including that cross-bar. His linemates struggled to hit him with passes, but I didn't think 97 was the problem this game. I thought Kassian and Draisaitl both had tough games.

He wasn't as bad as he was the other week, after he and Drai had done the whole of the 5 mins of OT. However, you know it's not his game when passes go astray and the PP looks like it has for the past few years. His control of the puck was a bit loose as well. Here's the thing, when they have a poor game they look ordinary, and on the same level as everyone and games when that happens are few and far between thankfully. However, my plea isn't about them two, it's about the coach having the courage to run with other players when it isn't going for them two. It cost us tonight as it has before.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #32) [message #748965 is a reply to message #748946 ]
Mon, 09 December 2019 05:37 Go to previous message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Tipps presser he was saying he was just like the fans standing on the bench watching the top guys out there while yelling “shoot, shoot”. Have to think this coaching staff made a point of telling them they don’t have to/can’t pass the puck into the net every night.

Get pucks deep.
Get pucks on net.

Ya know?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Previous Topic:Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #32)
Next Topic:Brian Burke on the Almost-Barn-Fight with Lowe
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca