This day on April 24
None

Happy Birthday To: foxbird, sspOILERS, hazmat, Tarnom, RankinSpankin

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #24)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #24) [message #747448]
Thu, 21 November 2019 23:00 Go to next message
OilFans is currently online OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Los Angeles to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #24) [message #747449 is a reply to message #747448 ]
Thu, 21 November 2019 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Just beat in every aspect. Making the Kings look fast.

Good job, Todd.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #24) [message #747451 is a reply to message #747448 ]
Thu, 21 November 2019 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Garbage effort. Go home OIlers. You're drunk.

Story of the game

https://media.giphy.com/media/l2JdYOGLl5Mps8GXK/giphy.gif

[Updated on: Fri, 22 November 2019 01:36]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #24) [message #747453 is a reply to message #747451 ]
Fri, 22 November 2019 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

I'm going to the game in Phoenix on Sunday - second half of a back to back...after Vegas...I am concerned.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #24) [message #747456 is a reply to message #747453 ]
Fri, 22 November 2019 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

No Cups

Well that wasn't a great game.
Took us over 10 minutes to register the Oilers second shot of the game.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #24) [message #747457 is a reply to message #747448 ]
Fri, 22 November 2019 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

This is why the skepticism remains high with this team.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #24) [message #747458 is a reply to message #747457 ]
Fri, 22 November 2019 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

The dreaded trap game and the Oilers fell right into it.

Smith was absolutely terrible in my opinion. He was fighting the puck from the time it was dropped. Toffoli's goal I think you need stop, get a piece of it, something. The first shot of the game, second shift and you are down a goal. Shades of Talbot all over again.

The second goal I didn't think was great either. The way he tried to save it was weird. He's a huge guy and the made himself look small and it goes far side mid body height. Move your body normally and it probably hits you.

The 3rd goal was a pile of garbage and an absolute back breaker. The Oilers were coming on in the first, had lots of good chances, Quick made a few good stops. Despite a rough start from the goalie, if you are down 2-0 after taking over the period, you can build on that. Kings float in a shot with a few seconds left, Smith somehow can't handle it. Spits the rebound onto Carters stick, goal with less than 3 seconds left. That was the dagger, game over. Any momentum they may have built was gone.

Leon struggled with the puck but I didn't think the Oilers were that bad. Not close to the Sharks game but not the worst. I pin this on the goaltending 100%. You can't win a game with junk goaltending like that. The Kings didn't have a lot of good scoring chances in the first but the few they got, they scored on.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #24) [message #747459 is a reply to message #747458 ]
Fri, 22 November 2019 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Maybe Smith was so rested he got rusty. Coach probably should have pulled him earlier than he did but.... When the tender sags, usually the rest of the team does too.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #24) [message #747460 is a reply to message #747459 ]
Fri, 22 November 2019 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Fri, 22 November 2019 08:31

Maybe Smith was so rested he got rusty. Coach probably should have pulled him earlier than he did but.... When the tender sags, usually the rest of the team does too.

I think Smith has looked like a spaz the last 3 or so games. Looks so bad when he is flailing around as pucks go by him, some you could swear his spastic movements actually make him move out of the way of the puck. Hope he gets it together soon. If he is faltering, and we have to start overplaying Koskinen...well, that didn't work out so good last year.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #24) [message #747461 is a reply to message #747460 ]
Fri, 22 November 2019 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I understand and think it s a good idea for the whole rotation thing. It keeps the guys fresh, keeps the competition up and in the West due to travel, the days of having one guy play a ton I don't think is realistic. You also don't want a guy sitting for too long but Koskinen has been going for a while now. The guy looks hungry and wanting to prove everyone wrong about him where as Smith has been OK but not great. At somepoint, play the hot had a little more than just a game or 2 in a row.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #24) [message #747462 is a reply to message #747461 ]
Fri, 22 November 2019 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 22 November 2019 09:07

I understand and think it s a good idea for the whole rotation thing. It keeps the guys fresh, keeps the competition up and in the West due to travel, the days of having one guy play a ton I don't think is realistic. You also don't want a guy sitting for too long but Koskinen has been going for a while now. The guy looks hungry and wanting to prove everyone wrong about him where as Smith has been OK but not great. At somepoint, play the hot had a little more than just a game or 2 in a row.

He got to play two periods. What more can a guy ask for?

Anyways I wouldn’t worry about the loss. We are going to make the playoffs and then lose to somebody like Vegas. That’s way more than anyone could have reasonably hoped for

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #24) [message #747463 is a reply to message #747462 ]
Fri, 22 November 2019 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 22 November 2019 09:44

Anyways I wouldn’t worry about the loss. We are going to make the playoffs and then lose to somebody like Vegas. That’s way more than anyone could have reasonably hoped for

Last year's Pacific winner ran into a wild card buzz saw from the Central. That seems about right.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #24) [message #747464 is a reply to message #747462 ]
Fri, 22 November 2019 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 22 November 2019 09:44

You are right there. Too bad the game was already over.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #24) [message #747469 is a reply to message #747448 ]
Fri, 22 November 2019 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I haven't watched a lot of the post-games this year, but I think the messaging from Tippett is really good here.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1197770493186588674

Basically, says there aren't weak teams, so he's not more upset about this than any other loss. He's generally happy with the team, and not throwing them under the bus after a bad game.

It will be interesting to see how he approaches things when we have a tough spell, but I like that he refused several invitations from the media guys to dig in to why they lost or to really criticize the team and players. Closest he comes is just agreeing with Draisaitl's own assessment that he wasn't great - and even there he offers a qualifier saying they weren't great off the start.

It's quite a contrast from watching McLellan try to dissect every goal against and who was at fault, while expressing his disappointment in his wayward children.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #24) [message #747474 is a reply to message #747469 ]
Fri, 22 November 2019 11:20 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 22 November 2019 10:48

I haven't watched a lot of the post-games this year, but I think the messaging from Tippett is really good here.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1197770493186588674

Basically, says there aren't weak teams, so he's not more upset about this than any other loss. He's generally happy with the team, and not throwing them under the bus after a bad game.

It will be interesting to see how he approaches things when we have a tough spell, but I like that he refused several invitations from the media guys to dig in to why they lost or to really criticize the team and players. Closest he comes is just agreeing with Draisaitl's own assessment that he wasn't great - and even there he offers a qualifier saying they weren't great off the start.

It's quite a contrast from watching McLellan try to dissect every goal against and who was at fault, while expressing his disappointment in his wayward children.

That is definitely refreshing after McLellan, and Hitch who seemed more concerned with making themselves look good than being a buffer from the media for the players. How it should be, there is no reason (that leads to better performances from players on the ice) to pick your players apart to try to look smart in the media scrums.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Las Vegas (Game #25)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #24)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca