2.T. Jurco (taking a top 6 Winger job) 1 / 2%
3.Z. Kassian (Effective Compliment with LD & McD) 2 / 3%
4.C. McDavid looks actually better than before Injury 1 / 2%
5.Benning doesn't Suck as much as in the past 3 / 5%
6.M. Smith looks like a legit starter 7 / 11%
7.M. Koskinen hasn't been pulled yet 2 / 3%
8.Oiler PK 10 / 15%
9.Oiler PP 4 / 6%

I'm leaving out J. Neal, because that would probably be a 100%. Wish this poll function had a selection for multiple choices so we could get a ranking of all choices.

I should have really picked McD.. but that E. Bear kid is looking so freaking awesome!

[Updated on: Sat, 12 October 2019 17:27]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner, Petrovic = Nathan Legare

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #744561 is a reply to message #744558 ]
Sat, 12 October 2019 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

It's all good, but after Neal, I'm voting Mike Smith looking decent, followed by Koskinen also showing some confidence.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #744562 is a reply to message #744558 ]
Sat, 12 October 2019 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
airdrieoil  is currently offline airdrieoil

No Cups

I have to vote for Bear. Even if Neal was on the list. Neal is having a bounce back which was what i had expected. I did not expect 7 goals in 4 games but this is a hot streak and it will not last 20ish goals is probably what he will end up with.
But Bear is playing like a top wearing defence man in his first full season as an Oiler. He is what we have been looking for and missing since....

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #744567 is a reply to message #744558 ]
Sat, 12 October 2019 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

I took Bear too but was surprised to see how many others I could quite easily have chosen. This is a very good thing !

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #744569 is a reply to message #744558 ]
Sat, 12 October 2019 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

3 Cups

To me the surprise with the most significance is the kill. Difference-maker.

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #744576 is a reply to message #744558 ]
Sat, 12 October 2019 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

I'll give it to Smith. We so badly needed a goalie that can give the team a little confidence, and he's been good so far. Swap Smith with Talbot and we are probably all in the depression zone already this season. Smith may be lighting a fire under Koskinen's butt too.

Bear right there with him. I'm starting to seriously question Larsson's place on this team is Bouchard is about to take another step too. And Persson has looked fine to me. I'm actually dreading what happens when Larsson comes back and starts killing the pace of play with his lack of puck moving ability.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #744587 is a reply to message #744576 ]
Sun, 13 October 2019 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 12 October 2019 21:28

I'm actually dreading what happens when Larsson comes back and starts killing the pace of play with his lack of puck moving ability.

Right now things are looking good with a healty D core besides Larsson but you can never have too many able bodied d men. With all the decent prospects on deck a trade or two will have to be made at some point. That mobility and puck moving that Bear and Persson bring has made a huge difference. Nice that they didn't have to spend big on a proven vet although the odds of landing one of those is pretty slim.

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #744600 is a reply to message #744576 ]
Sun, 13 October 2019 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 12 October 2019 21:28

I'll give it to Smith. We so badly needed a goalie that can give the team a little confidence, and he's been good so far. Swap Smith with Talbot and we are probably all in the depression zone already this season. Smith may be lighting a fire under Koskinen's butt too.

Bear right there with him. I'm starting to seriously question Larsson's place on this team is Bouchard is about to take another step too. And Persson has looked fine to me. I'm actually dreading what happens when Larsson comes back and starts killing the pace of play with his lack of puck moving ability.

The next year is likely when you have to move Larsson. He’s still on a team friendly deal and theoretically he’s still a top four defenceman. Once Bear, Bouchard and possibly Persson and even Benning push him down the depth chart he becomes a lot harder to move. I’m not sure we are at the point where I pull the trigger yet - but it’s starting to seem less likely that next season starts with him still an Oiler.

The problem is that if you push him down and he’s playing as a third pairing guy for any length of time, other teams will start to question whether he’s anything more than that...

And the fact is, the team could still use a shot in the arm on the wing, so if the right move was there sometime this year...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #744609 is a reply to message #744600 ]
Mon, 14 October 2019 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greg  is currently offline Greg

No Cups

I wonder if we could get an all-star, Hart trophy winning left winger for him?

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #744735 is a reply to message #744609 ]
Wed, 16 October 2019 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

3 Cups

Greg wrote on Mon, 14 October 2019 03:01

I wonder if we could get an all-star, Hart trophy winning left winger for him?

F Chia.

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #744579 is a reply to message #744558 ]
Sat, 12 October 2019 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

Hard to point to any one thing because the whole team has hit the ground running to start the season. Probably the one thing I would have to put the finger on is the goaltending. It’s been refreshing to watch the team not give up a goal on the first shot against.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #744617 is a reply to message #744558 ]
Mon, 14 October 2019 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

looks like I'm not the only one that's noticed E. Bear's improvements :)

.. Bouchard, Broberg, Samarukov, C. Jones .. still to come!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner, Petrovic = Nathan Legare

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #744624 is a reply to message #744617 ]
Mon, 14 October 2019 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 14 October 2019 13:49

The Oil could actually have a respectable blue-line corps for the first time since ‘06....

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #744669 is a reply to message #744624 ]
Tue, 15 October 2019 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

4 Cups

I picked Bear. It's early so I am taking what he is doing with a grain of salt but he's been pretty solid and doing exactly what the Oilers need which is move well, be decent defensively and move the puck.

The rest.

Jurco is a top 6 for now but it could have been anyone. I think it could be a revolving position and he hasn't looked great lately.

Kassian I expected to continue on what he did. Opportunity of a life time for him and he has the skill set to compliment those guys.

McDavid I fully expected to be ready to go and good. I always thought that if this team was EVER going to improve, yes the roster needs to get better but McDavid and Leon improving their overall game had to happen.

Benning, I have never been a fan and still don't think he will be with the team next year but all the numbers guys say in a 3rd pairing role, he can be decent. Tippett hasn't move him what so ever and he's been solid.

Smith, I expected to be solid. Solid being middle of the pack. I wouldn't call him "the starter", I think they split time.

Koskinen I expected to be solid. See above.

Oilers PK has been at the bottom or a spot or 2 near the bottom so I didn't think it could be that bad forever.

PP when you have Leon and McDavid on your PP, it should be automatically good.

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #744726 is a reply to message #744624 ]
Tue, 15 October 2019 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Mon, 14 October 2019 17:36

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 14 October 2019 13:49

The Oil could actually have a respectable blue-line corps for the first time since ‘06....

I was thinking about how good the returns on the young d are looking. If this continues we could see Holland dumping RFA's (Larsson, Russell even Nuge) for high draft picks, and just replace them internally with over seasoned prospects. We could finally be entering a positive drafting and developing cycle...like real NHL teams do.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #744734 is a reply to message #744558 ]
Wed, 16 October 2019 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sloiler  is currently offline sloiler

No Cups

I voted Bear, but I would like to have this poll again at 20, 40, 60 game mark. wonder what the differences could be?

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #745098 is a reply to message #744734 ]
Sat, 19 October 2019 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

sloiler wrote on Wed, 16 October 2019 05:04

I voted Bear, but I would like to have this poll again at 20, 40, 60 game mark. wonder what the differences could be?

we will..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #745097 is a reply to message #744558 ]
Sat, 19 October 2019 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Koskinen is turning out to be a really big surprise, I thought we'd be cursing that contract for the next 2 years, and looking for a goalie trade resulting in selling off some good assets.... lo and behold the guy has looked pretty solid so far.. absolute bonus!

Dustin Schwartz should probably get some credit here..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #745102 is a reply to message #745097 ]
Sat, 19 October 2019 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Honestly, if he has a pretty good year I'm looking to trade him in the offseason. He's got a very chaotic style that I just don't think you can gamble on for 3 years.

Clean house or bust

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #745211 is a reply to message #745102 ]
Mon, 21 October 2019 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sat, 19 October 2019 19:11

Honestly, if he has a pretty good year I'm looking to trade him in the offseason. He's got a very chaotic style that I just don't think you can gamble on for 3 years.

I tell you - watch how deep he is, and how many times he still ends up scrambling. It's not promising. He's big, and he's going to do okay some nights just from taking up a lot of space, but I think long-term, he's probably a .900 goalie, which is not good enough.

I'll be really happy if I end up eating my words, but he started last year alright too...short sample sizes are misleading.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #745216 is a reply to message #745211 ]
Mon, 21 October 2019 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

You know who else played very deep in their net? Mr D. Hasek
Now I’m not saying Koskinen is Hasek quality, but some Euro goalies play that way, this isn’t new. Also, Koskinen is huge, so he doesn’t *have* to play far out to block out the sun. 😉😁

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #745232 is a reply to message #745216 ]
Mon, 21 October 2019 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Mon, 21 October 2019 20:05

Now I’m not saying Koskinen is Hasek quality, but some Euro goalies play that way, this isn’t new. Also, Koskinen is huge, so he doesn’t *have* to play far out to block out the sun. 😉😁

My men's league team once had a goalie who was really big, but who could make himself very small in the net and had an amazing ability to miss pucks. When the other team came across the blueline, he was very soon after on his knees covering as much of the bottom of the net as he could. Even in beer league, that wasn't a successful strategy and teams picked him apart. We pushed him to change his style. We were all late teens, early 20s, so plenty of time to adapt...but he would tell us, completely straight-faced that people criticize Dominik Hasek's style too...

Now, he was letting in 8 or 9 goals a game in mens' league, and Dominik Hasek was winning Vezinas at the time, but still, he thought the comparison worth mentioning.

I think it's unlikely that there's many goalies out there you can compare to Hasek. He was a one-of-a-kind superstar, and so I don't think you can defend an unorthodox style just because Hasek was also unorthodox. Hasek at Koskinen's age was stopping 93% of the pucks shot at him. He finished his career stopping just below that.

Koskinen is big, and one of the things we see with a lot of big goalies that come in to the NHL is that they rely too much on their size. At lower levels, that works - they cover so much of the net that other teams struggle to score, but in the NHL they're facing elite shooters who are better at picking their spots.

As I said earlier, it's possible that Koskinen's really turned a corner here and figured out how to be a star netminder in the NHL...but I think it's more likely that he's riding a bit of a hot streak and will come back down to earth pretty soon.

I'll be SHOCKED if Smith and Koskinen provide above average goaltending for the entire season. Pleasantly, for sure, but shocked nonetheless.

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #745236 is a reply to message #745232 ]
Mon, 21 October 2019 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 21 October 2019 20:58

My men's league team once had a goalie who was really big, but who could make himself very small in the net and had an amazing ability to miss pucks. When the other team came across the blueline, he was very soon after on his knees covering as much of the bottom of the net as he could. Even in beer league, that wasn't a successful strategy and teams picked him apart. We pushed him to change his style. We were all late teens, early 20s, so plenty of time to adapt...but he would tell us, completely straight-faced that people criticize Dominik Hasek's style too...

Now, he was letting in 8 or 9 goals a game in mens' league, and Dominik Hasek was winning Vezinas at the time, but still, he thought the comparison worth mentioning.

I think it's unlikely that there's many goalies out there you can compare to Hasek. He was a one-of-a-kind superstar, and so I don't think you can defend an unorthodox style just because Hasek was also unorthodox. Hasek at Koskinen's age was stopping 93% of the pucks shot at him. He finished his career stopping just below that.

Koskinen is big, and one of the things we see with a lot of big goalies that come in to the NHL is that they rely too much on their size. At lower levels, that works - they cover so much of the net that other teams struggle to score, but in the NHL they're facing elite shooters who are better at picking their spots.

As I said earlier, it's possible that Koskinen's really turned a corner here and figured out how to be a star netminder in the NHL...but I think it's more likely that he's riding a bit of a hot streak and will come back down to earth pretty soon.

I'll be SHOCKED if Smith and Koskinen provide above average goaltending for the entire season. Pleasantly, for sure, but shocked nonetheless.

I did say he wasn’t Hasek quality ....

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #745237 is a reply to message #745236 ]
Mon, 21 October 2019 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Mon, 21 October 2019 21:06

He's a lot closer than my old beer league 'tender!

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #745252 is a reply to message #745237 ]
Mon, 21 October 2019 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 21 October 2019 21:07

Your group probably gave up too many open looks, and didn't block enough shots.
confused2 😁

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #745253 is a reply to message #745252 ]
Mon, 21 October 2019 23:36 Go to previous message

No Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 21 October 2019 23:16

Adam wrote on Mon, 21 October 2019 21:07

Your group probably gave up too many open looks, and didn't block enough shots.
confused2 😁

Yes, Adam - you should have played more like K. Russell does ... lol

Re: Best surprise of (Early) Oiler 2019/2020 Season [message #745210 is a reply to message #745097 ]
Mon, 21 October 2019 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 19 October 2019 17:29

Koskinen is turning out to be a really big surprise, I thought we'd be cursing that contract for the next 2 years, and looking for a goalie trade resulting in selling off some good assets.... lo and behold the guy has looked pretty solid so far.. absolute bonus!

Dustin Schwartz should probably get some credit here..

I'm going to reserve judgement on the goaltending and Koski in general, although the goaltending has a lot to do with the PK that I'm pleased about. We've seen excellent stretches from Koski before, and probably more mediocre to abysmal play. I think what's important when one guy does go cold, that another can get 2-3 starts until things get sorted out.

Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #9)
Next Topic:James Neal for Lucic trade
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca