This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743736 is a reply to message #743734 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 15:22

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 15:13

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 15:11

Adam wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 15:01

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 12:34

Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug
Tippett on McDavid-Draisaitl together: 'It set a 40-year record for the rest of the forwards not scoring'

I still find it hard to believe just how bad our depth performed last year. Scoring was up around the league and we still manage to get a record amount of futility. It must go beyond just the personnel. There must have been a firm belief among the depth players that the game plan assumed they were completely useless and everyone just needs to sit back and watch the McDavid Drai and nuge show.

This is a terrible take by Tippett. The rest of the forwards didn't not score because McDavid and Draisaitl were together, they didn't score because we employed an AHL-level group on lines 3 and 4 and traded away the couple guys who had showed any ability beyond that in Strome and Caggiula.

Nuge scored a career high number of points, playing mostly without 97 and 29 and still almost no one else got any goals.

Playing Nuge with Draisaitl instead of McDavid and Draisaitl isn't going to increase the number of goals from the bottom half the roster.

The fact of the matter is that the Oilers were 20+ goals worse than 29 other teams in the NHL for depth scoring so the performance has to be much MUCH better just to be mediocre.

Already carving up the coach and they haven't even played a game yet.

So? What's wrong with carving the coach?

Are we not allowed to point out when the coach says something dumb any more?!?! Crap. I didn't realize the ToS had changed in here...

It's like carving a Prime Minister (or President - lol) before he's had a chance to govern for even a day. Sometimes we just know what's going to happen, make accurate predications that everyone gets mad at us for, then forgets when we're proven correct.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743738 is a reply to message #743736 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 15:24

Adam wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 15:22

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 15:13

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 15:11

Tippett on McDavid-Draisaitl together: 'It set a 40-year record for the rest of the forwards not scoring'

I still find it hard to believe just how bad our depth performed last year. Scoring was up around the league and we still manage to get a record amount of futility. It must go beyond just the personnel. There must have been a firm belief among the depth players that the game plan assumed they were completely useless and everyone just needs to sit back and watch the McDavid Drai and nuge show.

This is a terrible take by Tippett. The rest of the forwards didn't not score because McDavid and Draisaitl were together, they didn't score because we employed an AHL-level group on lines 3 and 4 and traded away the couple guys who had showed any ability beyond that in Strome and Caggiula.

Nuge scored a career high number of points, playing mostly without 97 and 29 and still almost no one else got any goals.

Playing Nuge with Draisaitl instead of McDavid and Draisaitl isn't going to increase the number of goals from the bottom half the roster.

The fact of the matter is that the Oilers were 20+ goals worse than 29 other teams in the NHL for depth scoring so the performance has to be much MUCH better just to be mediocre.

Already carving up the coach and they haven't even played a game yet.

So? What's wrong with carving the coach?

Are we not allowed to point out when the coach says something dumb any more?!?! Crap. I didn't realize the ToS had changed in here...

It's like carving a Prime Minister (or President - lol) before he's had a chance to govern for even a day. Sometimes we just know what's going to happen, make accurate predications that everyone gets mad at us for, then forgets when we're proven correct.

So why bother watching the team or paying attention to them if you know it will end up in failure? It's like watching a move after someone told you every single detail on what happened. What's the point.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743742 is a reply to message #743738 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 15:31

So why bother watching the team or paying attention to them if you know it will end up in failure? It's like watching a move after someone told you every single detail on what happened. What's the point.

This is what I don't understand from your viewpoint. You seem to believe if we're not willing to stick our heads in the sands and ignore all evidence that suggests anything but Stanley Cup parades in our future, we're not fans of the team.

That's clearly not true. There's a large number of us who've spent an awful lot of time posting in a forum about the Edmonton Oilers because the team does matter to us and we want them to do well. If we're critical, it's because we want better for them, and because we can see the pattern of mistakes.

Even if things were good, it's unlikely we'd agree with everything said or done, and this forum is for discussing the team - so it's a pretty good place to air those grievances.

To be sure - after this much failure, and a stubborn insistence on doing everything wrong SO MUCH OF THE TIME, it's a good question why we haven't given up on the team. For me, it's a pretty deep love that was built watching this team win Cups in my formative years, and the desire to someday see that again and share that joy with my kids. But in a way it IS a bad relationship because the team doesn't return the love adequately. They do stupid things, and they never are successful because of that. We basically need to overcome 30 other teams PLUS an incompetent head office, and that's no small task.

But I still say "we" when I talk about this team, so it's unlikely I'm going to leave the bad relationship any time.

That means, unfortunately, you're likely going to see me continuing to be critical of the team whenever I disagree with something they're doing...so you might as well accept that it's going to happen.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743731 is a reply to message #743728 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

That isn’t reason enough for it to be that bad though. Teams have iced worse bottom 6 groups before through years of crap budget teams, expansion teams, many through the dead puck era. There was something pretty painfully wrong with how this team was approaching games last year, right from the start, and Hitch IMO made it worse with his idea to have all forwards hanging around our own red line to start offense. Secondary scoring went from bad to zero under Hitch.

In any case, even if it is better it is doubtful it is enough. And the Goals against issue has many ways to be bad.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 October 2019 15:16]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743737 is a reply to message #743731 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 15:14

That isn’t reason enough for it to be that bad though. Teams have iced worse bottom 6 groups before through years of crap budget teams, expansion teams, many through the dead puck era. There was something pretty painfully wrong with how this team was approaching games last year, right from the start, and Hitch IMO made it worse with his idea to have all forwards hanging around our own red line to start offense. Secondary scoring went from bad to zero under Hitch.

In any case, even if it is better it is doubtful it is enough. And the Goals against issue has many ways to be bad.

The team almost went out of their way to shoot themselves in the foot last year. They kept Yamamoto for ages (17 games plus some healthy scratches) when it was clear he couldn't score - even with a push on the top lines. They traded Strome despite the fact he was generating relatively high chances for Spooner who was already firmly in the doghouse (how many guys did they trade for who'd been healthy scratches last year)? They waived Aberg because he missed a practice months earlier - may not be a great guy, may not be a great teammate - but he scored more than most of those plugs we kept. We yo-yoed Puljujarvi back and forth, managing to completely lose the player. We did give him that one period with McDavid and Nuge though - where he did manage an assist, but then he had a giveaway where they scored so we locked him up after that.

I do think that both McLellan and even moreso Hitchcock had a philosophy of just don't give anything up when it came to bottom six players. They had no rope to go try to create offense - their whole roll was just kill some time until the big guys can come back on the ice.

I'm a little concerned with the Gagner/we-need-PKers thing that the same philosophy may be somewhat in play and the belief will be that we win games with the top guys and everyone else is just responsible for not losing them.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743725 is a reply to message #743685 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

What's the over/under in minutes till someone sends it up the middle on a turn over and it finds the back of the netting then the shoulders slump. I give if 5 mins. I hope they win and get back to being a fun team to watch but I have been disappointed too long.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743740 is a reply to message #743725 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I am going to the game tonight. Home openers are always exciting. I am not going to let a few probably forever miserable fans bring me down.

I am going to be interested to see what happens with Smith, his puck moving and if it helps the Oilers. Could we see Smith hit McDavid for a break away? I sure hope that Benning is able to settle down because he looked pretty rough in preseason.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743744 is a reply to message #743740 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 15:38

I am going to the game tonight. Home openers are always exciting. I am not going to let a few probably forever miserable fans bring me down.

I am going to be interested to see what happens with Smith, his puck moving and if it helps the Oilers. Could we see Smith hit McDavid for a break away? I sure hope that Benning is able to settle down because he looked pretty rough in preseason.

I'm curious - did you give your wife the option of Oilers tickets or a trip to Paris this year?

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743745 is a reply to message #743744 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Sigh, I guess we'll just have to see if I crack out the Denzel Washington drinking gif after Game #1 tonight. I'm telling my liver to get ready for imminent destruction.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743746 is a reply to message #743745 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 15:51

Sigh, I guess we'll just have to see if I crack out the Denzel Washington drinking gif after Game #1 tonight. I'm telling my liver to get ready for imminent destruction.

Let’s top up the glasses early to be prepared

https://media2.giphy.com/media/l0MYMizgnsTpoMuoo/200.gif

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743747 is a reply to message #743746 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 16:07

That is a damn near perfect gif. I really had to stare to see where it repeated.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743753 is a reply to message #743747 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 16:10

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 16:07

That is a damn near perfect gif. I really had to stare to see where it repeated.

It really is.

My wife knows me so well. She showed up after work it a bottle of Bookers Small Batch to kick off the season.

That means this ;
PlusOne wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 15:00

For players new to the team I am going to try and wait 7 or 8 games before passing judgment. For those that were here at least last season or longer I will try to wait until the end of the first or my third bourbon, whichever comes first.

may happen sooner than later

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743750 is a reply to message #743744 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 15:50

I'm curious - did you give your wife the option of Oilers tickets or a trip to Paris this year?

Underrated post.

It is amusing for me to watch the annual Adam VS RDOF discussion on whether being critical is some form of character flaw. Or if being endlessly optimistic in the face of overwhelming evidence is equally bad.
This is almost a carbon copy of last years discussion

The funny part to me is that those of us that get called negative or whatever are right more often then we are wrong.

Optimism can never be higher than it is today.

This is game one on the road to the YQROFPP.

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743751 is a reply to message #743750 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 18:56

Underrated post.

It is amusing for me to watch the annual Adam VS RDOF discussion on whether being critical is some form of character flaw. Or if being endlessly optimistic in the face of overwhelming evidence is equally bad.

The funny part to me is that those of us that get called negative or whatever are right more often then we are wrong.

Being right every time is so boring though isn't it? Come on, let's put a bet on double zero once in a while to spice things up!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743755 is a reply to message #743751 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 18:58

Underrated post.

Being right every time is so boring though isn't it? Come on, let's put a bet on double zero once in a while to spice things up!

The Oilers just make it too easy to be right. If you always take the stance against the decisions they make you are likely to be right about 75% of the time!

Still though, optimism never higher! 91% of Oilfans predicting a win tonight, including me!

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743752 is a reply to message #743750 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Underrated post.

I personally see a second reply from either of them in their ‘discussions’ and scroll to the next comment in the thread not made by one of them. But then again most of you probably do the same when you see a post by yours truly icon_wink

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743754 is a reply to message #743752 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 18:58

Underrated post.

I personally see a second reply from either of them in their ‘discussions’ and scroll to the next comment in the thread not made by one of them. But then again most of you probably do the same when you see a post by yours truly icon_wink

I liken it to a political debate. As long as they have relevant, logical and fact based opinions I quite enjoy it.

To your point though I think everyone should have an easily identifiable avatar. Makes it easier when I am in a hurry and want to skip the dumb stuff.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743893 is a reply to message #743754 ]
Thu, 03 October 2019 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 19:02

To your point though I think everyone should have an easily identifiable avatar. Makes it easier when I am in a hurry and want to skip the dumb stuff.

Agreed!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743894 is a reply to message #743893 ]
Thu, 03 October 2019 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 03 October 2019 15:24

Agreed!

Fantastic!

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743895 is a reply to message #743894 ]
Thu, 03 October 2019 15:36 Go to previous message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 03 October 2019 15:28

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 03 October 2019 15:24

Agreed!

Fantastic!

Chortle.

I'd hope on board, but I'm pretty lazy and I like my 5 Burger Baron banners too much.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743890 is a reply to message #743744 ]
Thu, 03 October 2019 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

We plan on doing a European trip in a few years when my boys are a bit older. Just going to Hawaii this year. Thanks for asking.

Since you are so curious. The 4 of us are going to the game on Saturday. Going to stay at the JW Marriott. We checked it out, its pretty sweet. We don't like to take the kids to week day games. School night.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 October 2019 15:11]

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743748 is a reply to message #743685 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Boys.

Boys boys boys.

This is a must winski.

Best believe Neal rides shotty with McDeezy on the reg this year to hit that over/undsie from the Lucic’ deal.

Real Deal with 2 tonight

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Adam Larsson on LTIR
Next Topic:GDT: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca