This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers 2019 Training Camp RosterPages (6): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742894 is a reply to message #742885 ]
Tue, 17 September 2019 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Tue, 17 September 2019 11:17

I thought the Oilers wanted Koskinen to play a lot in the pre-season, and playing behind this mostly AHL caliber team would be a good warmup for him. Oh. well, no big deal. Starrett, in my opinion, is the best backup the Oilers have for Smith and Koskinen, so he might as well show his stuff.

Bouchard is getting a long look this training camp, and he certainly isn't doing anything wrong so far. Tonight should be a good test for him. I understand the Canucks will be playing a lot of their projected season-opening lineup.

The game is on all the Sportsnet channels. I would guess the broadcast team will be the usual gang of clowns that are the regular Canucks TV crew. Oh, well, ours isn't much better.

See if Garret dyed his hair again.. and still without the moustache.. he looked like a tortoise head last year.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742895 is a reply to message #742885 ]
Tue, 17 September 2019 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

[Updated on: Tue, 17 September 2019 23:37]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742893 is a reply to message #742880 ]
Tue, 17 September 2019 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 17 September 2019 10:05

Tom Gazola tweeted the lines for the game tonight in Vancouver

Benson - McLeod- Hebig
Gamberdella - Malone - Peluso
Granlund - Cave - P.Russell
Jurco - Marody - Currie

Nurse - Larsson
Samorukov - Bouchard
Manning - Bear

Starrett

Extras are Jones, Haas, Wells.

The ones I'm most curious about are;

McLeod
Benson
Bear
Granlund
Jurco
Hebig
Manning

Heard Bear came in with best fitness of his life, and supposed to be quicker... we'll see
Hebig has looked good so far, see if he can do it vs. better comp.
McLeod, see if his speed is NHL
Granlund.. need my memory refreshed.. supposed to have speed and skill..and he's playing against his old team..
Manning.. see if he's as bad as I remember.. maybe he had a good summer.
Benson.. see if he shows enough to make the club

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742911 is a reply to message #742559 ]
Tue, 17 September 2019 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Benson-McLeod-Hebig looks good

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742916 is a reply to message #742559 ]
Tue, 17 September 2019 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

The goaltending pipeline looks as good as I’ve ever been a fan of the Oil, Wells and Skinner looked great last night and Starrett looking good tonight. Dominigue is also an up and comer. Maybe it’s time to get a bonafide goalie coach, Schwartz seems to ruin whatever goalie he gets his hands on.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742921 is a reply to message #742916 ]
Tue, 17 September 2019 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Tue, 17 September 2019 21:13

The goaltending pipeline looks as good as I’ve ever been a fan of the Oil, Wells and Skinner looked great last night and Starrett looking good tonight. Dominigue is also an up and comer. Maybe it’s time to get a bonafide goalie coach, Schwartz seems to ruin whatever goalie he gets his hands on.

I have sooooooo much more confidence in Starrett, Skinner and Wells over Koskinen. We need some rash inducing equipment for the big Finn.

Jurco looks like a NHL’er.

Bouchard is going to be very very very good...and soon.

Nurse either had a lot of bad bounces or was rusty. Had some high scoring chances that died on his TPM2020.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742918 is a reply to message #742559 ]
Tue, 17 September 2019 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Jurco looks like he could be useful. Definitely has some speed and skill.

Nurse/Larsson pair is worrisome. Very off night for Nurse especially. Larsson looking mediocre too.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742925 is a reply to message #742918 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 17 September 2019 22:24

Nurse/Larsson pair is worrisome. Very off night for Nurse especially. Larsson looking mediocre too.

They still looked better than Tyler Myers. Turnover machine.

That was 2 pretty good periods tonight for the team that dominated for the most part. On the 2nd Sutter goal, my thought is that Cave lost Sutter, but went out to pressure the point instead....not sure who the winger was to cover high or where he was. That easy tap in for a wide open uncovered Sutter was the type of play we've seen a couple or three hundred times since 2006.

Nurse had at least 2 if not 3 chances dead to rights, he should toss that whole batch of sticks.

The Oilers are breaking the puck more quickly out of their own zone hitting guys in motion in the middle. The forechecking effort seems better. These games have had some surprising tempo. The Canicks figured the breakout out a bit better later in the game, but it appears that the ol' deflection out from the boards to the middle or banging it down the boards has mostly disappeared.....mind you we haven't seen Russell on D yet.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742932 is a reply to message #742918 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 17 September 2019 22:24

Don't worry about it! It's preseason! Hard to go too hard against a bunch of lame kids who'll never make the show. Just getting through the pre-season without injuries should be the goal for vets who are definitely already on the team.

And if they don't improve, Matheson's been stumping hard for the Oilers "forgotten defenceman" Brandon Manning. He was very complimentary of his play last night!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742935 is a reply to message #742932 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I don't take much stock in players who look good early in the preseason. Didn't Rattie lead the NHL in preseason scoring last year or was at least right near the top?

The nice thing is you don't want guys looking like crap in camp.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742936 is a reply to message #742932 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

So many players wanting to show well with the possibility of playing full time in the NHL. Not sure how the Oilers are going to fit all these guys in over the next while, especially all the D but if they do have what it takes some of them will likely be decent trade chips as things progress with the team. It's a good problem for Holland to have.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742944 is a reply to message #742936 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

The Oilers assigned six players to Bakersfield.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-make-roster-m oves/c-309256664

"The Oilers assigned the following six players today:

Vincent Desharnais - assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)

Luke Esposito - assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)

Jake Kulevich - assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)

Ostap Safin - assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)

Beau Starrett - assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)

Nolan Vesey - assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)"

No big surprises on that list, as near as I can see

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742997 is a reply to message #742944 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 18 September 2019 09:57

The Oilers assigned six players to Bakersfield.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-make-roster-m oves/c-309256664

"The Oilers assigned the following six players today:

Vincent Desharnais - assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)

Luke Esposito - assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)

Jake Kulevich - assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)

Ostap Safin - assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)

Beau Starrett - assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)

Nolan Vesey - assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)"

No big surprises on that list, as near as I can see

Are you allowed to demote a close relative of a Glory Years Oiler so early in camp???

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742986 is a reply to message #742559 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

From last night in Vancouver.. guys that provided some positivity..

Jurco.. good combo of speed, skill and puck savvy
Samaroukov.. that guy will be a regular, calm play, good passing, decent speed, he'll be a human eraser.
McLeod.. SPEED! SPEED! SPEED! ... he has decent hands, and he's a face off machine.
Bouchard.. similar to Samaroukov, a little more polished offensively, no surprise, just reinforced previous evaluations.
Starret.. kid has a future.
Manning .. solid.. I'm surprised.. he was written off.. Tippet is giving him a chance.. might as well you're stuck with the contract.
Hebig.. solid.. good hussle.. speed is not much of a detriment (ie he isn't the slowest!)
P. Russell.. lumbering forward, but seems to know where to play, in on forecheck, puck savvy. I remember him being was slower..

Neutral Opinion
Bear.. didn't see enough from him to judge, needs to do more to move the needle .. meh..
Marody.. meh..
Granlund.. meh..

[Updated on: Wed, 18 September 2019 18:00]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742993 is a reply to message #742986 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 18 September 2019 17:08

Samaroukov.. that guy will be a regular, calm play, good passing, decent speed, he'll be a human eraser.
McLeod.. SPEED! SPEED! SPEED! ... he has decent hands, and he's a face off machine.
Bouchard.. similar to Samaroukov, a little more polished offensively, no surprise, just reinforced previous evaluations.
Manning .. solid.. I'm surprised.. he was written off.. Tippet is giving him a chance.. might as well you're stuck with the contract.
Hebig.. solid.. good hussle.. speed is not much of a detriment (ie he isn't the slowest!)
P. Russell.. lumbering forward, but seems to know where to play, in on forecheck, puck savvy. I remember him being was slower..

Neutral Opinion
Bear.. didn't see enough from him to judge, needs to do more to move the needle .. meh..
Marody.. meh..
Granlund.. meh..

I agreed with most of your assessment, but Manning gets a meh from because he wasn't a tire fire, he was good compared to late season but that's still a solid meh. Bear I thought looked pretty quick and confident, better than Jones in the 1st game, and yes still more to do. I think the D in general are looking pretty decisive north-south....is that the Playfair effect?

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #742999 is a reply to message #742993 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 18 September 2019 17:57

Neutral Opinion
Marody.. meh..
Granlund.. meh..

I agreed with most of your assessment, but Manning gets a meh from because he wasn't a tire fire, he was good compared to late season but that's still a solid meh. Bear I thought looked pretty quick and confident, better than Jones in the 1st game, and yes still more to do. I think the D in general are looking pretty decisive north-south....is that the Playfair effect?

You're right, I'm not saying Manning was great, just not as bad as I remembered from last year, Tippet doing due diligence to make sure he isn't passing over some value because the guy got a bad rap from previous people, wants to decide for himself... good sign. Based on the defensive system the Oilers coaches are using now (Playfair), maybe Manning just needs a better defensive structure to succeed. . (?)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743003 is a reply to message #742999 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 18 September 2019 18:16

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 18 September 2019 17:57

Neutral Opinion
Marody.. meh..
Granlund.. meh..

You're right, I'm not saying Manning was great, just not as bad as I remembered from last year, Tippet doing due diligence to make sure he isn't passing over some value because the guy got a bad rap from previous people, wants to decide for himself... good sign. Based on the defensive system the Oilers coaches are using now (Playfair), maybe Manning just needs a better defensive structure to succeed. . (?)

Reminds me of when we had Huddy, we had a weak back end but he seemed to be able to squeeze the most out of them. We could use some of that know how this season.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743007 is a reply to message #742986 ]
Wed, 18 September 2019 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Neutral Opinion
Marody.. meh..
Granlund.. meh..

What the heck, Granlund was in that game? lol. I watched over a period of it and I swear I didn't hear his name once.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743019 is a reply to message #743007 ]
Thu, 19 September 2019 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I keep hearing that Manning has looked good. Whatever good for Manning is. My preference is he not be on this team what so ever but he's here. Thanks Chia!! That being said, I'd rather have Manning as the #7 eating popcorn in the pressbox than have a young dman like Bear, Jones, Lagesson, even Persson, not playing.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743020 is a reply to message #743019 ]
Thu, 19 September 2019 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 19 September 2019 08:34

I keep hearing that Manning has looked good. Whatever good for Manning is. My preference is he not be on this team what so ever but he's here. Thanks Chia!! That being said, I'd rather have Manning as the #7 eating popcorn in the pressbox than have a young dman like Bear, Jones, Lagesson, even Persson, not playing.

I'm pretty sure that was Jim "I've lost touch" Matheson saying that about Manning. Manning wasn't NHLer when we traded for him. I'm gonna go ahead and guarantee he still isn't.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743025 is a reply to message #743020 ]
Thu, 19 September 2019 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 19 September 2019 08:43

I'm pretty sure that was Jim "I've lost touch" Matheson saying that about Manning. Manning wasn't NHLer when we traded for him. I'm gonna go ahead and guarantee he still isn't.

I don't think he's a good player either but like I said, I'd much rather Manning sitting in the pressbox watching games than any of the young guys I listed. I'd rather they all go down, play, hopefully clean up whatever is left that keeps them from the NHL and then come up when they are 100% ready. I don't even want Manning playing in Bakersfield taking icetime away from any of the young guys. He's on the books regardless if he's here or not so might as well use him for something which might be sitting on his ass doing nothing.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743033 is a reply to message #743025 ]
Thu, 19 September 2019 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Oilers lineup per Reid Wilkins twitter

Nygard-McLeod-Neal
Jurco-Marody-Chiasson
Benson-Haas-P. Russell
Granlund-Malone-Peluso

Klefbom-Persson
Samorukov-Benning
Lowe-Jones

Koskinen
Starrett

is expected lineup tonight.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743038 is a reply to message #743025 ]
Thu, 19 September 2019 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 19 September 2019 09:07

I don't think he's a good player either but like I said, I'd much rather Manning sitting in the pressbox watching games than any of the young guys I listed. I'd rather they all go down, play, hopefully clean up whatever is left that keeps them from the NHL and then come up when they are 100% ready. I don't even want Manning playing in Bakersfield taking icetime away from any of the young guys. He's on the books regardless if he's here or not so might as well use him for something which might be sitting on his ass doing nothing.

Keep Persson, and have less cap hit. There's no reason to have Manning even near the team. I'd try to find him a spot with someone else's minor league team.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743039 is a reply to message #743038 ]
Thu, 19 September 2019 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 19 September 2019 12:12

Keep Persson, and have less cap hit. There's no reason to have Manning even near the team. I'd try to find him a spot with someone else's minor league team.

My point is does it do any good to have Persson sitting in the pressbox not playing?

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743091 is a reply to message #743039 ]
Fri, 20 September 2019 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 19 September 2019 12:18

Adam wrote on Thu, 19 September 2019 12:12

My point is does it do any good to have Persson sitting in the pressbox not playing?

Persson is 25 years old. He's not a raw kid and he's not going to be wasted if he's in the pressbox sometimes.

If he's good enough, he is the 6th d-man. It's likely down to him, Bouchard or Bear for that third RD. I could see him and Bear spelling each other off.

Worth noting - the Oilers haven't made it that difficult for a kid to make this team at the bottom of the roster on D...

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743021 is a reply to message #743019 ]
Thu, 19 September 2019 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Manning was a top four at one point, I'd be thrilled if he started progressing upward.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743042 is a reply to message #743021 ]
Thu, 19 September 2019 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Magnum wrote on Thu, 19 September 2019 08:56

Manning was a top four at one point, I'd be thrilled if he started progressing upward.

He didn't get to the NHL by being a total wash so maybe he can regain that and up his value either as an Oiler or maybe in a trade.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743043 is a reply to message #743042 ]
Thu, 19 September 2019 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iamheretoday  is currently offline Iamheretoday

No Cups

overdue wrote on Thu, 19 September 2019 14:02

Magnum wrote on Thu, 19 September 2019 08:56

He didn't get to the NHL by being a total wash so maybe he can regain that and up his value either as an Oiler or maybe in a trade.

Sounds like Winnipeg could use some help, just send for future considerations....

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743037 is a reply to message #743007 ]
Thu, 19 September 2019 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 18 September 2019 21:09

Neutral Opinion
Marody.. meh..
Granlund.. meh..

What the heck, Granlund was in that game? lol. I watched over a period of it and I swear I didn't hear his name once.

Yeah that was a surprise for me, I figured he was a burner.. but wasn't even in the frame..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743087 is a reply to message #743037 ]
Fri, 20 September 2019 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-reduce-roster -to-33/c-309337270

Oilers made some deep cuts.

Benson, Hebing, Jones, Maksimo, Marody, McLeod, Peluso, Samorukov, Wells.

On waivers to be assigned.
Currie, Gambardella, Lowe, Malone.

Only one that surprises me.
Marody I thought hasn't been bad and thought maybe he would stay for a bit longer.
Jones I thought might stay for awhile longer.
They are down to 33.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743088 is a reply to message #743087 ]
Fri, 20 September 2019 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 20 September 2019 10:50

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-reduce-roster -to-33/c-309337270

Oilers made some deep cuts.

Benson, Hebing, Jones, Maksimo, Marody, McLeod, Peluso, Samorukov, Wells.

On waivers to be assigned.
Currie, Gambardella, Lowe, Malone.

Only one that surprises me.
Marody I thought hasn't been bad and thought maybe he would stay for a bit longer.
Jones I thought might stay for awhile longer.
They are down to 33.

Marody was OK, but really needs to find a way to up his speed. If he gets lost on a play, he's gone for quite a while trying to get back. Takes a beating too out there. Not sure i would enjoy seeing him get pounded against 4th lines.

Wish Jones showed something. He'd still be up if he did. That was a pretty brutal pre-season for him.

McLeod looks like he could be a useable depth forward down the road, but really needs the seasoning in the pros. Benson has some steps to take too, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him back up later this year.

[Updated on: Fri, 20 September 2019 11:05]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743089 is a reply to message #743088 ]
Fri, 20 September 2019 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I was a bit disappointed in Benson, he really didn't show up. But he's played 1 year of pro hockey. I hope he goes down, rips it up and I could see him getting called up later in the year.

I didn't think Marody was bad, better than Benson, he just needs more development time. Like Benson, he has 1 year of pro.

But I think these 2 have legit shots at being players.

McLeod I think is a future 3rd line center. He hasn't played any pro yet but this is the second camp in a row he hasn't looked out of place completely. It wouldn't shock me to see him on the team next year.

I was a little surprised by Jones but at the same time, he is a leftie, they need righties and I keep hearing about how good Lagesson has looked. Everyone talks about Bear and Jones but then you look at Lagesson, he scored almost as much as Jones but gets no PP time. He's bigger, more physical and apparently skates pretty well and moves the puck OK.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743128 is a reply to message #743089 ]
Fri, 20 September 2019 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Jones...I wouldn't say i'm dissapointed but, him and Bear are gonna get passed by Bouch Samo and Bro.

It would fit what we want to happen more if Jones and Bear could make the team while the youngers "over ripen".

What would Bear and Jones be worth to another franchise? Are they Seattle bait?

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743129 is a reply to message #743128 ]
Fri, 20 September 2019 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Xombie wrote on Fri, 20 September 2019 20:35

Jones...I wouldn't say i'm dissapointed but, him and Bear are gonna get passed by Bouch Samo and Bro.

It would fit what we want to happen more if Jones and Bear could make the team while the youngers "over ripen".

What would Bear and Jones be worth to another franchise? Are they Seattle bait?
I think Seattle would take Bear. He had a fine WHL career in Seattle. I've been pulling for him and would like for him to have success with the Oilers, but you are right. Lots of younger guys will be pushing for openings on the Oiler D and pretty soon.

Samorukov needs to stay healthy and take a dominant role in Bakersfield for a year or two, and Jones didn't look so great in training camp. Bouchard will be fine, but he seems to be a little out of his depth as the games get more intense. Better he is a top or second pairing in the AHL rather than a #7 in the NHL.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743140 is a reply to message #743129 ]
Sun, 22 September 2019 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

It probably doesn't mean very much, but the Oilers practice lines in Kelowna included McDavid on the top line.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/main-camp-news-videos-from-d ay-1-in-kelowna/c-309388156

Kailer Yamamoto and Logan Day are not skating.

Lines at practice:

"Draisaitl - McDavid - Kassian

Gagner - Nugent-Hopkins - Neal

Granlund - Cave - Chiasson

Khaira - Sheahan - Archibald

Jurco - Haas - P. Russell (Nygard, Burdasov rotating in)

Defence:

Klefbom - Persson

Nurse - Larsson

Russell - Benning

Manning - Bouchard

Lagesson - Bear

Goal:

Koskinen

Smith

Starrett"

McDavid continues to practice with the regulars and what probably could be the first line opening night, I hope that second line can stay on track. I think Nugent-Hopkins would benefit from having a defined role and regular line mates.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743142 is a reply to message #743140 ]
Sun, 22 September 2019 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sun, 22 September 2019 12:30

It probably doesn't mean very much, but the Oilers practice lines in Kelowna included McDavid on the top line.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/main-camp-news-videos-from-d ay-1-in-kelowna/c-309388156

Kailer Yamamoto and Logan Day are not skating.

Lines at practice:

"Draisaitl - McDavid - Kassian

Gagner - Nugent-Hopkins - Neal

Granlund - Cave - Chiasson

Khaira - Sheahan - Archibald

Jurco - Haas - P. Russell (Nygard, Burdasov rotating in)

Defence:

Klefbom - Persson

Nurse - Larsson

Russell - Benning

Manning - Bouchard

Lagesson - Bear

Goal:

Koskinen

Smith

Starrett"

McDavid continues to practice with the regulars and what probably could be the first line opening night, I hope that second line can stay on track. I think Nugent-Hopkins would benefit from having a defined role and regular line mates.

That seems pretty close to opening night roster. Those five guys battling for two press box seats. Probably one of Bear or Lagesson sticks around.

Hate seeing Cave in a 3C position, even though I think he's had a good camp (good camp meaning he probably earned the 4C or 13F spot).

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743146 is a reply to message #743142 ]
Sun, 22 September 2019 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sun, 22 September 2019 14:34

That seems pretty close to opening night roster. Those five guys battling for two press box seats. Probably one of Bear or Lagesson sticks around.

Hate seeing Cave in a 3C position, even though I think he's had a good camp (good camp meaning he probably earned the 4C or 13F spot).

As someone (Jonathan Willis?) pointed out on twitter today, Cave has 8 points in 56 NHL games as a forward. That's basically the definition of a fringe player. If he's an everyday player, then the Oilers are a weak team. If he's the third line center? That's damning.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743152 is a reply to message #743146 ]
Mon, 23 September 2019 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 22 September 2019 21:35

As someone (Jonathan Willis?) pointed out on twitter today, Cave has 8 points in 56 NHL games as a forward. That's basically the definition of a fringe player. If he's an everyday player, then the Oilers are a weak team. If he's the third line center? That's damning.

It is possible that he’s changed something and is better.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743153 is a reply to message #743152 ]
Mon, 23 September 2019 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Magnum wrote on Mon, 23 September 2019 08:24

Maybe he over-ripened over the summer. That's what our players are going to do now.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743159 is a reply to message #743152 ]
Mon, 23 September 2019 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

He's 24. You don't usually see guys take quantum leaps forward at that age. His best full season in the AHL was 35 points in 76 games. He was doing really well last year in the AHL before being recalled by Boston - 6-12-18 in 15 games, but the sample size is so small that it's hard to make any judgements on it. Given everything else he's done, it looks more likely that that was just a really good hot streak than that he'd suddenly developed in to a point a game player at the AHL level - especially since he failed to duplicate results at the NHL level. His production was marginal when he came up to the Bruins, and then declined further when he came to the Oilers.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that he was an extremely late bloomer and he's suddenly going to be ready to be an NHL third liner...it's just extremely unlikely.

Re: Oilers 2019 Training Camp Roster [message #743167 is a reply to message #743159 ]
Mon, 23 September 2019 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 23 September 2019 10:26

He's 24. You don't usually see guys take quantum leaps forward at that age. His best full season in the AHL was 35 points in 76 games. He was doing really well last year in the AHL before being recalled by Boston - 6-12-18 in 15 games, but the sample size is so small that it's hard to make any judgements on it. Given everything else he's done, it looks more likely that that was just a really good hot streak than that he'd suddenly developed in to a point a game player at the AHL level - especially since he failed to duplicate results at the NHL level. His production was marginal when he came up to the Bruins, and then declined further when he came to the Oilers.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that he was an extremely late bloomer and he's suddenly going to be ready to be an NHL third liner...it's just extremely unlikely.

The extremely unlikely is where you find the best value/$. Point I'm making is that it's worth a look and not a good idea to conclude without.

Pages (6): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  >  »]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Next Topic:Burdasov joining Oilers on PTO
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca