This day on April 19
None

Happy Birthday To: jari17, trehorse, 5mowill, Dragon_Matt, smyth2007

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » MacT the coach of LokomotivPages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737739 is a reply to message #737737 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

overdue wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 17:50

A face saving move for sure. I'm sure he's realized for a long time that the fans wanted him gone and he likely got a little encouragement from Holland. Maybe Locamotife or whatever has a management position opening up that has Kevin's name on it. They are likely due for a re build, a very..... long...... re build and Kev has all the credentials for the job.

Plus they are very good at controlling the media, which is a plus over there.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737751 is a reply to message #737737 ]
Fri, 17 May 2019 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

A face saving move for sure. I'm sure he's realized for a long time that the fans wanted him gone and he likely got a little encouragement from Holland. Maybe Locamotife or whatever has a management position opening up that has Kevin's name on it. They are likely due for a re build, a very..... long...... re build and Kev has all the credentials for the job.

I think the fans had a small part with it.

Looking at the structure what did MacT really do? Sr VP of Hockey Operations? So he's responsible for jacking up the beer prices or..? Like seriously what did he do? He most assuredly advised on hockey moves this franchise made.

I think MacT looked around and saw that the deck looks full and decided welp, I go or I'm going to be tossed because the fans want blood.. MacT is the sacrificial lamb and will be lauded by the Oilers as his removal as the significant step to propel the team forward.

It's all BS in the end. I remain discouraged by this team.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737752 is a reply to message #737751 ]
Fri, 17 May 2019 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 17 May 2019 09:48

Looking at the structure what did MacT really do? Sr VP of Hockey Operations? So he's responsible for jacking up the beer prices or..? Like seriously what did he do? He most assuredly advised on hockey moves this franchise made.

I think MacT looked around and saw that the deck looks full and decided welp, I go or I'm going to be tossed because the fans want blood.. MacT is the sacrificial lamb and will be lauded by the Oilers as his removal as the significant step to propel the team forward.

Hey. He was in charge of the AHL team, in a non-definable way, the second it started to have any success. So his contributions to the Oilers will haven been extremely valuable for the two years he's in Siberia some random part of Russia paving the way for him to come back in an important role when the Oilers have FINALLY turned it around.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737757 is a reply to message #737752 ]
Fri, 17 May 2019 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 17 May 2019 09:55

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 17 May 2019 09:48

Hey. He was in charge of the AHL team, in a non-definable way, the second it started to have any success. So his contributions to the Oilers will haven been extremely valuable for the two years he's in Siberia some random part of Russia paving the way for him to come back in an important role when the Oilers have FINALLY turned it around.

I love watching the media here spin this as a "very graceful exit" - and "surely he's the lightning rod for fans, so now that he's gone, it takes pressure off the team to make other changes." I just heard Dave Jamison talking about how Howson is a former GM and you have to value what he brings...

A) No, there's no value to Scott Howson. He was a crappy GM who traded Voracek, Couturier, Carter and Nash and left Columbus with little to show for it other than Brandon Dubinsky. He came here and advocated for Nikita Nikitin to be given a three year deal that we needed to buy him out of. He's terrible. Flush him.

B) The lightning rod is Kevin Lowe. MacTavish is always Number Two, but Lowe has just been excrement. He's led the team through a totally disastrous 20 years with two little glimpses of sunshine in all that time. He has made Edmonton a laughing stock and built the culture where there's no accountability, as long as you're a Friend of Katz, and where nepotism is just part of the way of life. It's all just a family business, right?

He probably won't get dumped, because A) he's too vain to realize he's the problem and B) the owner won't axe his buddy and C) because the media NEVER EVER tries to hold him accountable in the least - but he's the one most responsible for the mess that is the Edmonton Oilers, and he's the lightning rod. Fire Lowe and all those other guys can't hold their jobs anyhow. Fire Lowe and the cloud over the team lifts. Fire Lowe and finally there would be real accountability. Fire Lowe and it's franchise-altering.

MacTavish leaving is a really nice thing to see. It's healthy for the team to flush #2, but he was never the biggest issue...not even when he was the team's disastrously bad general manager. That is, was and remains Kevin Lowe.

#FireLowe

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737759 is a reply to message #737757 ]
Fri, 17 May 2019 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oiler76  is currently offline Oiler76

No Cups

I might be in the minority here but I didn't mind MacT at all. Sure he made a few mistakes along the way but not many GM's are perfect.

Things he did well:

1. He picked Darnell Nurse in 2013
2. He picked Leon in 2014 (over Sam Bennett who was ranked higher)
3. He won two David Perron trades, not his fault Chia threw away the 16th pick (along with a 2nd) for magic beans.
4. Signed RNH to a reasonable deal
5. Signed Derek Roy, who was a great mentor for Yak

Things he didn't do well:

1. Fired Krueger over Skype and hired Eakins
2. Was too honest with the media, needed to hold his cards closer to his chest
3. Signed Pouliet and Fayne to long term deals.
4. Didn't sign Petry to a long term deal when the time was right.

I could go on for both categories but in my opinion he was the only OBC guy that was actually was trying to get something done.

I hope he does well in Russia and is back coaching in the NHL soon (just not in Edmonton :P)

" The Vancouver Canucks: Celebrating Second Round Losses for 50 years!"

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737761 is a reply to message #737759 ]
Fri, 17 May 2019 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Oiler76 wrote on Fri, 17 May 2019 12:19

I might be in the minority here but I didn't mind MacT at all. Sure he made a few mistakes along the way but not many GM's are perfect.

Things he did well:

1. He picked Darnell Nurse in 2013
2. He picked Leon in 2014 (over Sam Bennett who was ranked higher)
3. He won two David Perron trades, not his fault Chia threw away the 16th pick (along with a 2nd) for magic beans.
4. Signed RNH to a reasonable deal
5. Signed Derek Roy, who was a great mentor for Yak

Things he didn't do well:

1. Fired Krueger over Skype and hired Eakins
2. Was too honest with the media, needed to hold his cards closer to his chest
3. Signed Pouliet and Fayne to long term deals.
4. Didn't sign Petry to a long term deal when the time was right.

I could go on for both categories but in my opinion he was the only OBC guy that was actually was trying to get something done.

I hope he does well in Russia and is back coaching in the NHL soon (just not in Edmonton :P)

I'm with you, McT was not the best of the lot.
Howson? he's next, and should have been 1st... then its pro-scouts.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737767 is a reply to message #737752 ]
Fri, 17 May 2019 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Man.. eloquently put. Eff it.. I'm in lockstep with you and the bandwagon that is this team! The future is so bright I got to wear shades.

Hey.. Pi.. ol'bean that edge of the cliff is approaching quickly. Whatever shall we do? Ask the cliff to move? Good show, good show! That is what we shall do.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737769 is a reply to message #737767 ]
Fri, 17 May 2019 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 17 May 2019 16:16

Man.. eloquently put. Eff it.. I'm in lockstep with you and the bandwagon that is this team! The future is so bright I got to wear shades.

Hey.. Pi.. ol'bean that edge of the cliff is approaching quickly. Whatever shall we do? Ask the cliff to move? Good show, good show! That is what we shall do.

What cliff?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737774 is a reply to message #737671 ]
Fri, 17 May 2019 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Poor Radish.

Doth we all fondly remember how he valiantly reached up and thrust his un-armoured hand in to yon southern kingdoms hell hound mascot and pulled the tongue straight out! With the strength of a giant he proudly waved the tongue like a crimson flag of war for all the southern kingdom to see, and oh how they fled!

Seriously we should raise a banner for ol' Craig. Just a blank banner with a detached severed tongue on it. Or just something to commemorate how he never wore a helmet.

He may be the best of the "old boys" when it came to coaching/management. Although I agree he was doomed by doing 3 good things, then one colossal how-could-he-be-so-stupid bad thing. Example: rotating backup goaltenders in the frickin' Stanley Cup finals! Like he was a bantam coach or something!

I'd go out on a limb and say he was a more valuable situational hockey player and more integral to the Oiler teams he played on than Kevin Slowe.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737775 is a reply to message #737774 ]
Fri, 17 May 2019 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Xombie wrote on Fri, 17 May 2019 23:07

Poor Radish.
Example: rotating backup goaltenders in the frickin' Stanley Cup finals! Like he was a bantam coach or something!

Conkey was the backup in all seven games. The issue was only in game one when he had to come in because Rolo got hurt. Juice (rightly) played all the minutes in all six other games.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #741295 is a reply to message #737775 ]
Sun, 04 August 2019 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Not much to go on yet, but MacT seems to be off to a good start with his Lokomotiv team defeating
Bob Hartley's squad in an early pre-season KHL game.

https://en.khl.ru/news/2019/08/03/454695.html

Lander with a couple of helpers, Rattie with a power play goal.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #741525 is a reply to message #737671 ]
Thu, 15 August 2019 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Quote:

HC Lokomotiv
@hclokomotiv
ХК «Локомотив» сообщает о том, что на позицию ассистента Крэйга Мактавиша в главную команду клуба приглашен Денис Сергеевич Гребешков.

Гребешков является уроженцем Ярославля и воспитанником нашего клуба.
Translated from Russian by
HC Lokomotiv reports that Denis Sergeevich Grebeshkov has been invited to the position of assistant Craig MacTavish in the club’s main team. Grebeshkov is a native of Yaroslavl and a pupil of our club.

Hilarious.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #741526 is a reply to message #741525 ]
Thu, 15 August 2019 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 15 August 2019 08:26

Quote:

HC Lokomotiv
@hclokomotiv
ХК «Локомотив» сообщает о том, что на позицию ассистента Крэйга Мактавиша в главную команду клуба приглашен Денис Сергеевич Гребешков.

HC Lokomotiv reports that Denis Sergeevich Grebeshkov has been invited to the position of assistant Craig MacTavish in the club’s main team. Grebeshkov is a native of Yaroslavl and a pupil of our club.

Hilarious.

I believe this is called living the dream. Congrats to MacT. All his wishes are coming true in Russia.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #741527 is a reply to message #741526 ]
Thu, 15 August 2019 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 15 August 2019 08:27

Quote:

HC Lokomotiv
@hclokomotiv

Hilarious.

I believe this is called living the dream. Congrats to MacT. All his wishes are coming true in Russia.

Staios and Moreau must have turned him down...

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #741528 is a reply to message #741527 ]
Thu, 15 August 2019 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 15 August 2019 08:30

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 15 August 2019 08:27

Quote:

HC Lokomotiv
@hclokomotiv

Hilarious.

Staios and Moreau must have turned him down...

You don't think Grebeshkov would have been his 1st choice? I do :)

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #741530 is a reply to message #741525 ]
Thu, 15 August 2019 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 15 August 2019 07:26

Quote:

HC Lokomotiv
@hclokomotiv

Hilarious.

Old Boys Club, Russia edition.

Clean house or bust

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #741534 is a reply to message #741525 ]
Thu, 15 August 2019 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Quote:

HC Lokomotiv
@hclokomotiv

Hilarious.

Hard to believe Grebeshkov never won the Norris...

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #741536 is a reply to message #741534 ]
Thu, 15 August 2019 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 15 August 2019 10:16

Quote:

HC Lokomotiv
@hclokomotiv

Hilarious.

What's the KHL equivalent?

I hope MacTavish still gives long press conferences there about what he's hoping to accomplish.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #741539 is a reply to message #741536 ]
Thu, 15 August 2019 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Thu, 15 August 2019 10:23

Quote:

HC Lokomotiv
@hclokomotiv

Hilarious.

I hope MacTavish still gives long press conferences there about what he's hoping to accomplish.

I hope he hires 6 or 7 assistant coaches, all unproven or underwhelming, making roughly the same.
Coaching by committee box checked.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #741553 is a reply to message #741539 ]
Thu, 15 August 2019 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 15 August 2019 10:21

Adam wrote on Thu, 15 August 2019 10:23

Quote:

HC Lokomotiv
@hclokomotiv

Hilarious.

I hope he hires 6 or 7 assistant coaches, all unproven or underwhelming, making roughly the same.
Coaching by committee box checked.

It's the cyclical nature of the KHL.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #741554 is a reply to message #741553 ]
Thu, 15 August 2019 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Next up. Toby Freaking Peterson and Marty “don’t call me Joe” Reasoner.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #741609 is a reply to message #737671 ]
Sun, 18 August 2019 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

I just noticed that 3 of the top 5 scoring leaders currently in the KHL are former Oilers.

https://i.imgur.com/Z25yHdB.jpg

And people say that the Oilers can’t develop hockey players, pshhhh. Checkmate, Tier 2 fans.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #741923 is a reply to message #741609 ]
Tue, 27 August 2019 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

I hope there isn't something weird in the water in Yaroslavl. Also, I wonder if MacTavish will have any lagguage issues there. Otherwise, it looks like his KHL team is good to go, with the regular season starting next week.

https://en.khl.ru/news/2019/08/27/455236.html

As much as I disliked his contribution to the Oilers the past few seasons, I hope he does well in his new role. At least he has a few ex-Oilers to help with the transition.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #741927 is a reply to message #741923 ]
Tue, 27 August 2019 10:29 Go to previous message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Tue, 27 August 2019 10:05

I hope there isn't something weird in the water in Yaroslavl. Also, I wonder if MacTavish will have any lagguage issues there. Otherwise, it looks like his KHL team is good to go, with the regular season starting next week.

https://en.khl.ru/news/2019/08/27/455236.html

As much as I disliked his contribution to the Oilers the past few seasons, I hope he does well in his new role. At least he has a few ex-Oilers to help with the transition.

I hope he fails miserably there too. I'm sick of these guys who helped to ruin my favourite hockey team, and I don't think I can root for their success until this team has finally rebounded from their poisonous influence.

You can call me bitter for that. It's a fair charge, but these fellows have really worked to earn my disdain.

Also your link didn't work for me.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Puljujarvi signs in Finland
Next Topic:Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca