Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers qualify 2 players
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739397]
Tue, 25 June 2019 13:33 Go to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

The Oilers tendered qualifying offers to Khaira and Puljujarvi. They let
Rieder, Rattie, Larkin, Vesel and Norell become free agents.

Pretty logical moves here.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739399 is a reply to message #739397 ]
Tue, 25 June 2019 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 25 June 2019 13:33

I for one am shocked, SHOCKED, that they didn't qualify Tobias Rieder.

If Nicholson didn't torch that bridge, I'd have been interested in possibly bringing him back at a significant discount because I think he's likely to bounceback this year, but I can't see the player having any interest after Bobby Burger's braindead bumbling.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739400 is a reply to message #739399 ]
Tue, 25 June 2019 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Why would you want to qualify Rieder and potentially be on the hook to pay a guy that had no goals and set a record for shots taken without scoring over 2 mill? I could see a tam taking a flyer on him for league minimum but I sure wouldn't pay him 2 mill.

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739403 is a reply to message #739400 ]
Tue, 25 June 2019 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 25 June 2019 13:43

Why would you want to qualify Rieder and potentially be on the hook to pay a guy that had no goals and set a record for shots taken without scoring over 2 mill? I could see a tam taking a flyer on him for league minimum but I sure wouldn't pay him 2 mill.

Nope - didn't say qualify him. I'd offer him half of that on a one year deal.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739412 is a reply to message #739399 ]
Tue, 25 June 2019 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 25 June 2019 13:38

If Nicholson didn't torch that bridge, I'd have been interested in possibly bringing him back at a significant discount because I think he's likely to bounceback this year, but I can't see the player having any interest after Bobby Burger's braindead bumbling.

Just tell Rieder that he will have a shot to play with his buddy Drai if he joins the Oilers. I bet he signs cheap then.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739413 is a reply to message #739412 ]
Tue, 25 June 2019 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 25 June 2019 16:26

Adam wrote on Tue, 25 June 2019 13:38

Just tell Rieder that he will have a shot to play with his buddy Drai if he joins the Oilers. I bet he signs cheap then.

For that matter, what are Marco Sturm and Uwe Krupp doing these days? Kolzig in goal too!

The scary thing is, I've always thought that the Oilers and Oilers media seem to believe that you need little groups of nationalities whenever you have someone who's from any country not named Canada. How often have we seen the comment that they need to bring in some journeyman because he'd be great in the room for the other young Finn/Czech/Swede/etc.

It's a good thing the Oilers never drafted Kopitar. MJ would have found himself on the team's fourth line.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 June 2019 16:36]

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739420 is a reply to message #739413 ]
Tue, 25 June 2019 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Watch it, you're going to get him excited!! icon_biggrin icon_lol

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739448 is a reply to message #739413 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 25 June 2019 16:34

It's a good thing the Oilers never drafted Kopitar. MJ would have found himself on the team's fourth line.

You say that like it's a bad thing!

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739452 is a reply to message #739448 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

bigEfromGP wrote on Wed, 26 June 2019 12:44

You say that like it's a bad thing!

You clearly haven't seen MJ skate...it ain't pretty.

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739485 is a reply to message #739413 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

For that matter, what are Marco Sturm and Uwe Krupp doing these days? Kolzig in goal too!

Sturm is in L.A. with McLellan, Yawney and Ranford! Almost an Oiler...

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739401 is a reply to message #739397 ]
Tue, 25 June 2019 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

I would maybe still take a look at Rattie. We're thin as hell on the wings, and he has shown he can play with 97 at times. He got injured early last year and never really seemed to settle back into the line-up. 1 year, 750K or something like that.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739402 is a reply to message #739401 ]
Tue, 25 June 2019 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

jds308 wrote on Tue, 25 June 2019 13:44

I would maybe still take a look at Rattie. We're thin as hell on the wings, and he has shown he can play with 97 at times. He got injured early last year and never really seemed to settle back into the line-up. 1 year, 750K or something like that.

They had 2 seasons with Rattie and he didn't seem to get a lot of traction on top of the time he was up and down with the Blues. I am not saying it's a bad idea but wouldn't you just rather try someone else?

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739407 is a reply to message #739402 ]
Tue, 25 June 2019 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 25 June 2019 12:49

They had 2 seasons with Rattie and he didn't seem to get a lot of traction on top of the time he was up and down with the Blues. I am not saying it's a bad idea but wouldn't you just rather try someone else?

Sure, but will someone else at that price point be better? Possibly, maybe not. Could also end up signing another Rieder at more money and get less production. Not saying sign him today, it really just depends what else is out there. Maybe agree to circle back 2nd week of July or something.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739415 is a reply to message #739407 ]
Tue, 25 June 2019 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

jds308 wrote on Tue, 25 June 2019 15:25

Sure, but will someone else at that price point be better? Possibly, maybe not. Could also end up signing another Rieder at more money and get less production. Not saying sign him today, it really just depends what else is out there. Maybe agree to circle back 2nd week of July or something.

I would have qualified Rattie and if it was a choice between them, not qualified Patrick Russell. I'm not saying Rattie is The Answer, but the Oilers signed all of Gambardella, Currie, Malone, and Russell, all guys about the same age and price. I think Rattie is the best of that group, has the ability to move up and down a lineup, and has proven the most of that group. If you are looking for a depth forward who can be in the press box, play anywhere in the lineup in the short-term, or move between AHL and NHL, I think Rattie is the best option. So in that sense, it's a little disappointing that decision.

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739417 is a reply to message #739415 ]
Tue, 25 June 2019 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 25 June 2019 16:11

I would have qualified Rattie and if it was a choice between them, not qualified Patrick Russell. I'm not saying Rattie is The Answer, but the Oilers signed all of Gambardella, Currie, Malone, and Russell, all guys about the same age and price. I think Rattie is the best of that group, has the ability to move up and down a lineup, and has proven the most of that group. If you are looking for a depth forward who can be in the press box, play anywhere in the lineup in the short-term, or move between AHL and NHL, I think Rattie is the best option. So in that sense, it's a little disappointing that decision.

I kind of agree with you there P. Russell I predict will be barely NHL capable, and he'll essentially burn off a pro contract, Rattie at least could keep up with the play and pot the odd goal, P. Russell has slow boots, and old. Potentially sign Rattie again after UFA season is over and the dust settles, just before training camp if he hasn't signed yet..

No way I want Reider, qualified or at league minimum, too s-l-o-w, got nothing done, he was a psychic bleeder, not worried at all what he potentially does elsewhere...

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739435 is a reply to message #739417 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 25 June 2019 18:50

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 25 June 2019 16:11

I kind of agree with you there P. Russell I predict will be barely NHL capable, and he'll essentially burn off a pro contract, Rattie at least could keep up with the play and pot the odd goal, P. Russell has slow boots, and old. Potentially sign Rattie again after UFA season is over and the dust settles, just before training camp if he hasn't signed yet..

No way I want Reider, qualified or at league minimum, too s-l-o-w, got nothing done, he was a psychic bleeder, not worried at all what he potentially does elsewhere...

I think the difference between Rattie and Russel is Russel in a pinch can fill a 4th line role. He's decent defensively, can be on your PK, can forecheck a bit, and not kill you when he is on the ice. He won't score squat but for a couple of games, you can survive with him. Rattie is not good defensively, he can't be on your PK and doesn't bring much if he doesn't score which he doesn't do at the NHL level.

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739441 is a reply to message #739435 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 26 June 2019 08:27

I think the difference between Rattie and Russel is Russel in a pinch can fill a 4th line role. He's decent defensively, can be on your PK, can forecheck a bit, and not kill you when he is on the ice. He won't score squat but for a couple of games, you can survive with him. Rattie is not good defensively, he can't be on your PK and doesn't bring much if he doesn't score which he doesn't do at the NHL level.

I don't really think that's true. There's not a lot to show that Rattie's much worse defensively than Russell, and Rattie's more of a threat to score. There's a reason one guy was in the AHL last year and one was in the NHL.

I'm not losing any sleep over Ty Rattie, but he's a better player than Patrick Russell - full-stop.

Russell has now played 6 NHL games at age 26, posting a solid 0-0-0 stats line. Given his age, he's not even a tweener - he's an AHLer.

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739443 is a reply to message #739441 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 26 June 2019 10:45

I don't really think that's true. There's not a lot to show that Rattie's much worse defensively than Russell, and Rattie's more of a threat to score. There's a reason one guy was in the AHL last year and one was in the NHL.

I'm not losing any sleep over Ty Rattie, but he's a better player than Patrick Russell - full-stop.

Russell has now played 6 NHL games at age 26, posting a solid 0-0-0 stats line. Given his age, he's not even a tweener - he's an AHLer.

I am not advocating for Russell what so ever. He in my opinion he is a decent AHLer who in a pinch could come up to the NHL play a few games, he won't produce squat but he won't kill you. You can say there is a better chance of Rattie scoring, I can buy that but at the same time it doesn't mean much if he doesn't produce.

In my opinion, Rattie didn't stick in St. Louis and in 2 years, he didn't stick with the Oilers. Time to move on. What I don't buy is anyone arguing he didn't get a chance. When you are a tweener NHLer like he is, you have to make your opportunities. He had a shot to play with McDavid because in a very brief stint, he did OK with him. He got hurt. But that's not an excuse. This team wasn't blessed with a huge amount of wingers. They were desperate for someone to step up. He didn't do that. He came back from his injury, got introduced in lower lines and didn't do anything. All you have to do and I mentioned it is look at Chiasson. Chiasson wasn't even in the starting line up for the first few games. He got put in and he made an impact with the ice time he got. Then he continued to play well and forced the coach to notice him and ultimately elevate him. Rattie never did that and given the lack of wing depth, it wouldn't have taken much for him to get noticed and moved up. Time to try someone else.

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739450 is a reply to message #739443 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 26 June 2019 11:03

Adam wrote on Wed, 26 June 2019 10:45

I am not advocating for Russell what so ever. He in my opinion he is a decent AHLer who in a pinch could come up to the NHL play a few games, he won't produce squat but he won't kill you. You can say there is a better chance of Rattie scoring, I can buy that but at the same time it doesn't mean much if he doesn't produce.

In my opinion, Rattie didn't stick in St. Louis and in 2 years, he didn't stick with the Oilers. Time to move on. What I don't buy is anyone arguing he didn't get a chance. When you are a tweener NHLer like he is, you have to make your opportunities. He had a shot to play with McDavid because in a very brief stint, he did OK with him. He got hurt. But that's not an excuse. This team wasn't blessed with a huge amount of wingers. They were desperate for someone to step up. He didn't do that. He came back from his injury, got introduced in lower lines and didn't do anything. All you have to do and I mentioned it is look at Chiasson. Chiasson wasn't even in the starting line up for the first few games. He got put in and he made an impact with the ice time he got. Then he continued to play well and forced the coach to notice him and ultimately elevate him. Rattie never did that and given the lack of wing depth, it wouldn't have taken much for him to get noticed and moved up. Time to try someone else.

I think the coach made a huge difference here. He was in tough as soon as McLellan left and Hitchcock took over. He never really got a fresh start with Hitch (who is still advising Oilers decisions apparently).

I do wonder how different things would be if he didn't get hurt early. Apparently he trained hard last summer realizing his opportunity. And pre-season he looked great. But then the injury happening and he never really was a lock on that line again, simply one of the many rotating guys throughout the year.

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739434 is a reply to message #739407 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Rattie is a borderline NHLer, a tweener. He's no different than Brad Malone. Brad Malone resigned for 1 season at 700K in the NHL which is league minimum and he will make 275K in the minors. Brad Malone is an excellent AHLer who puts up good numbers in the minors but in the NHL struggles to stay in the line up. That's exactly what Rattie is. Rattie supposedly has offensive ability. It hasn't translated to the NHL. One can argue that its hard for offensive guys to produce in lower lines. That's a fair comment but at the same time, if you are a borderline NHLer, you have to do something no matter what. Look no further than Chiasson. Came to the Oilers on a PTO, signed for 650K, didn't even start the season in the line up. When he came in, started on the 4th line and made an impact. He worked his way up. So it's not impossible for Rattie in limited ice time to make and impact and work his way up. He didn't do it and that is the knock on him.

I am not pissing on Rattie. If they had of qualified him, it wouldn't have bothered me but at the same time, for 2 yrs he's had a chance to solidify a spot and he hasn't done it. It's not like there isn't opportunity on the Oilers for wingers in all lines. In my opinion, there are 100's of Ratties out there. Tweener guys, most of whom flame out but the odd one doesn't. Personally, a tweener guy that I would go after over Rattie is David Carr who was Vegas property. He had 30 goals and 71 pts in the AHL last season. IN a 100 NHL games, he has 15 goals, 35 pts. Rattie in 98 games has 13 goals, 30 pts. Rattie never put up 71 pts in the AHL. His best year was 48 pts.

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739451 is a reply to message #739397 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Oil King bias alert.

Lazar not qualified by the Flames. Not sure what happened to this guy. He was a well rounded dominant WHL’er. Fell off a cliff after the dub.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739455 is a reply to message #739451 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 26 June 2019 11:54

Oil King bias alert.

Lazar not qualified by the Flames. Not sure what happened to this guy. He was a well rounded dominant WHL’er. Fell off a cliff after the dub.

Interesting... I was just thinking about Lazar on the RFA list, he had a pretty decent AHL season.. all around player.. I think Calgary ran out of cap room with the projected signings they have to get done..

2018/2019 AHL

57 20 21 41

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739459 is a reply to message #739455 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 26 June 2019 13:58

Oil King bias alert.

Interesting... I was just thinking about Lazar on the RFA list, he had a pretty decent AHL season.. all around player.. I think Calgary ran out of cap room with the projected signings they have to get done..

2018/2019 AHL

57 20 21 41

Guaranteed Holland will have multiple people in the org telling him Lazar is a great option to try to fill the bottom 6. Guess we shall see

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739460 is a reply to message #739459 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 26 June 2019 13:12

Oil King bias alert.

2018/2019 AHL

57 20 21 41

Guaranteed Holland will have multiple people in the org telling him Lazar is a great option to try to fill the bottom 6. Guess we shall see

He has the skill . I just can't remember how fast he is.. speed is absolutely king ...

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739461 is a reply to message #739460 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 26 June 2019 14:15

Oil King bias alert.

2018/2019 AHL

57 20 21 41

He has the skill . I just can't remember how fast he is.. speed is absolutely king ...

He can't skate.

Hey remember when the Oilers signed Cam Barker and it took 14 seconds for everyone not employed by the Oilers to realize he couldn't keep up? I remember. Anyway, this comment is unrelated to the rest of the thread.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739473 is a reply to message #739461 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 26 June 2019 14:43

Oil King bias alert.

2018/2019 AHL

57 20 21 41

He can't skate.

Hey remember when the Oilers signed Cam Barker and it took 14 seconds for everyone not employed by the Oilers to realize he couldn't keep up? I remember. Anyway, this comment is unrelated to the rest of the thread.

I think I saw someone criticizing Rieder's speed earlier??? I didn't think that was an issue for him. I mean, the guy got breakaways pretty regularly this year. Just had no scoring touch at all...

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739476 is a reply to message #739473 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 26 June 2019 18:11

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 26 June 2019 14:43

Oil King bias alert.

2018/2019 AHL

57 20 21 41

He can't skate.

I think I saw someone criticizing Rieder's speed earlier??? I didn't think that was an issue for him. I mean, the guy got breakaways pretty regularly this year. Just had no scoring touch at all...

IMHO he had average straight ahead speed, but he was a classic fly-by specialist, wouldn't start and stop if his life (or job) depended on it, he was always getting to the point late during PK's, his forecheck was abysmal. . You might recall some PK breakaways, but that would usually be when the d-man got caught flat footed at the blue line. I can't remember him ever working the cycle, total perimeter.

so .. I guess what I'm saying is.. I'm glad they didn't sign him :)
Money better spent elsewhere .. hopefully!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739489 is a reply to message #739397 ]
Thu, 27 June 2019 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

If they even think of going after Lazar they should have just qualified Rattie.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Oilers qualify 2 players [message #739558 is a reply to message #739489 ]
Fri, 28 June 2019 10:02 Go to previous message
steve.kreys  is currently offline steve.kreys

No Cups

Reider get 0 goals did him in.

He was given all the chances in the world and did nothing with em

Previous Topic:Yep, Talbot for Stolarz
Next Topic:2019-20 Full Oilers Regular Season Schedule
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca