This day on April 23
None

Happy Birthday To: Ramone, Giant Moo, mogal, booyaka!, Blue Thunder, BDR1

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #738953 is a reply to message #738855 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

an estimated $81,000,000 salary cap (talking heads a couple years ago were saying we should expect it go up to 90+); NHL rosters usually carry what, 22-23 players? Makes average salary for a player on the roster about $3,000,000. Meanwhile GM's are throwing out 9-10-11 million (on top of handing out NMCs) to sign players who are either injured, over the hill, or average to inconsistent. I get that cap is intended to increase parity and level the playing field, but my god, NHL GM's are truly doing it themselves, while also screwing the league, and to an extent players in the process. Need to have someone (or multiple people) who are more than just capologists, who can predict salary cap trends over 3-4-5 years. Tough to do. Absolute mess.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 June 2019 13:54]

Send a private message to this user  

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #738965 is a reply to message #738953 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

philly boy wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 12:52

an estimated $81,000,000 salary cap (talking heads a couple years ago were saying we should expect it go up to 90+); NHL rosters usually carry what, 22-23 players? Makes average salary for a player on the roster about $3,000,000. Meanwhile GM's are throwing out 9-10-11 million (on top of handing out NMCs) to sign players who are either injured, over the hill, or average to inconsistent. I get that cap is intended to increase parity and level the playing field, but my god, NHL GM's are truly doing it themselves, while also screwing the league, and to an extent players in the process. Need to have someone (or multiple people) who are more than just capologists, who can predict salary cap trends over 3-4-5 years. Tough to do. Absolute mess.

When you have 31 GMs all competing for the same players, the players will inevitably get what they want from someone. The only real fix is making salary performance based. But then you have more problems with good players only going to already good teams.

Maybe each team pays 6 5.5 5 4.5 4 3.5 to it's defencemen based on minutes and performance. If a player thinks he has a better shot at more ice time on another team then they have in incentive to play for weaker teams.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #739031 is a reply to message #738953 ]
Wed, 19 June 2019 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

philly boy wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 13:52

Players are definitely getting screwed. Like you said, there's an average of 3-4M per player available. These monster contracts will only serve to drive down the salaries of the average-skilled player and increase the gap between the ultra-rich hockey players and the kinda-rich ones. What sport should I follow during the next lockout? I tried basketball, but I just couldn't....

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #739039 is a reply to message #739031 ]
Wed, 19 June 2019 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Wed, 19 June 2019 12:56

philly boy wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 13:52

Players are definitely getting screwed. Like you said, there's an average of 3-4M per player available. These monster contracts will only serve to drive down the salaries of the average-skilled player and increase the gap between the ultra-rich hockey players and the kinda-rich ones. What sport should I follow during the next lockout? I tried basketball, but I just couldn't....

I think that makes sense though. People don't come to see the average hockey player, they come for the stars. The stars sell tickets, they sell merchandise - how many Kris Russell shirts do you see at Oilers games? - they sell sponsorships. They should get more of the money.

The teams that understand that and pay their stars while learning to get the most out of cheaper roster players are the ones who've done the best. The Blackhawks are a great example of this. They may be hurt now by staying committed too long to the same group, but they won three Cups because they identified the core that they needed to keep and paid them and as other players became too expensive, they dealt them away.

Bowman wouldn't have likely prioritized signing Moreau and Staios over Ryan Smyth, and if there was less left for those two because of that, then either they take less or you let them leave - knowing that a third line winger or a middle of the road second pairing defenceman is more easily obtained than a first line winger - even a low-end first liner like Smyth.

The Hawks wouldn't have signed Russell & Gryba to above-market deals just before the negotiations with Draisaitl and McDavid, because they realize that you don't convince the stars to take discounts if the foot soldiers are getting overpaid. You can sometimes convince the foot soldiers to take less if they think either the stars are willing to help a little there too, or the stars are so good that they're passing up championships by not signing on.

MacT said a lot of stupid things, but he was right about one thing - you can't have too many $4MM price point defencemen. If your third pairing or your third and fourth liners are making above the NHL average, your team is likely in cap hell.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #739048 is a reply to message #739039 ]
Wed, 19 June 2019 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

do people really come to see star players though? If I had more time, or cared more, I'd like to dig deeper into that claim. The NHL is not a star driven league. Star and superstar players are constantly hurt. Grinders, tweeners and support players get more shine than in any other pro sports league in North America. There is a big emphasis on teams being able to have depth. I think that most hockey fans, that is, those who are either season ticket holders of a team, or who watch the league consistently, or are just hardcore fans of the home team, want to see their team succeed first and foremost. There are precious few players in the league who individually I think are "worth the price of admission". Off the top of my head, Ovechkin, Conner, Sid (although not so much anymore), Patrick Kane, maybe a healthy Erik Karlsson? Sure, sprinkle in a few more. It's a much more egalitarian, team driven game than other pro sports and leagues, in terms of star players getting their shine much. Maybe casual fans are different, hear the name of a player and say to themselves, "he's worth seeing". Maybe tickets are cheaper in the States and they'd be willing to pay to see individual players if they're casual fans.

Talent level of the league will continue to get watered down as teams look to fill roster spots with cheaper alternatives. That, and middling players have to take less money, although this is also unlikely, given how terrible NHL GM's are.

[Updated on: Wed, 19 June 2019 17:20]

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #739052 is a reply to message #739048 ]
Wed, 19 June 2019 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

philly boy wrote on Wed, 19 June 2019 17:17

do people really come to see star players though? If I had more time, or cared more, I'd like to dig deeper into that claim. The NHL is not a star driven league. Star and superstar players are constantly hurt. Grinders, tweeners and support players get more shine than in any other pro sports league in North America. There is a big emphasis on teams being able to have depth. I think that most hockey fans, that is, those who are either season ticket holders of a team, or who watch the league consistently, or are just hardcore fans of the home team, want to see their team succeed first and foremost. There are precious few players in the league who individually I think are "worth the price of admission". Off the top of my head, Ovechkin, Conner, Sid (although not so much anymore), Patrick Kane, maybe a healthy Erik Karlsson? Sure, sprinkle in a few more. It's a much more egalitarian, team driven game than other pro sports and leagues, in terms of star players getting their shine much. Maybe casual fans are different, hear the name of a player and say to themselves, "he's worth seeing". Maybe tickets are cheaper in the States and they'd be willing to pay to see individual players if they're casual fans.

Talent level of the league will continue to get watered down as teams look to fill roster spots with cheaper alternatives. That, and middling players have to take less money, although this is also unlikely, given how terrible NHL GM's are.

Okay - you’re told you can only see three Oilers games this year. Which teams do choose to watch?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #739063 is a reply to message #739052 ]
Wed, 19 June 2019 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

trick answer, none, cuz I don't want to give this team any of my time or money lol

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #739069 is a reply to message #739063 ]
Wed, 19 June 2019 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iamheretoday  is currently offline Iamheretoday

No Cups

philly boy wrote on Wed, 19 June 2019 19:40

trick answer, none, cuz I don't want to give this team any of my time or money lol

Posting here to the contrary faint

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #739079 is a reply to message #739069 ]
Thu, 20 June 2019 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Iamheretoday wrote on Wed, 19 June 2019 21:33

It's true. But I mostly come here out of habit, and for the rational, level headed, biting, satirical, intelligent commentary of the posters. Organization has been such a joke for so long I enjoy seeing people (our own) pile on.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #739083 is a reply to message #739079 ]
Thu, 20 June 2019 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

philly boy wrote on Thu, 20 June 2019 09:38

It's true. But I mostly come here out of habit, and for the rational, level headed, biting, satirical, intelligent commentary of the posters. Organization has been such a joke for so long I enjoy seeing people (our own) pile on.

It's still a good hypothetical question. If you have three games, who are you picking?

For me, I'm taking a Flames game on Saturday night (early in the season when the games still theoretically mean something), the Lightning, and the Pens or Caps. Star power and rivalries.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #739084 is a reply to message #739083 ]
Thu, 20 June 2019 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 20 June 2019 09:55

It's still a good hypothetical question. If you have three games, who are you picking?

For me, I'm taking a Flames game on Saturday night (early in the season when the games still theoretically mean something), the Lightning, and the Pens or Caps. Star power and rivalries.

Pens
Caps
Lightning

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #739112 is a reply to message #739083 ]
Thu, 20 June 2019 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Caps (Ovechkin who I love)
Leafs (to beat them and see some stars and run n' gun)
Flames (to beat them)

right off the top of my head

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #739120 is a reply to message #739112 ]
Thu, 20 June 2019 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

philly boy wrote on Thu, 20 June 2019 17:49

Caps (Ovechkin who I love)
Leafs (to beat them and see some stars and run n' gun)
Flames (to beat them)

right off the top of my head

Winnipeg
Tampa
Washington

Honourable mentions to Nashville, Calgary, Pittsburgh, Montreal, Boston, Colorado, Dallas, Vegas.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #739071 is a reply to message #739052 ]
Wed, 19 June 2019 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 19 June 2019 17:14

Okay - you’re told you can only see three Oilers games this year. Which teams do choose to watch?

I don't want to speak for my boy, philly boy. But I for one would not be missing any Philadelphia Flyer games. Did you hear they signed Kevin Hayes? The seven million dollar man himself! Have you seen what that guy can do with the puck? Man! Back in southy they used to call him Kevin HAZE! Cuz when he be skating by it's so fast he looks straight hazey yo!

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #739096 is a reply to message #739052 ]
Thu, 20 June 2019 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 19 June 2019 18:14

I would agree that stars play a pivotal role in revenue generation and this is pretty obvious. That said, there seem to be a lot of top tier level salaries being handed out to players who are decidedly not stars. This is a great year to be a 60-70 percentile talent UFA player. If NHL GM's continue to make deals with only the short term in sight while triggering huge long term implications, I can't see it being good for the league. I guess we'll see.

Edit: many criticized the Eberle deal last week. It's beginning to look like a steal now!

[Updated on: Thu, 20 June 2019 12:57]

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #739098 is a reply to message #739096 ]
Thu, 20 June 2019 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

JPro wrote on Thu, 20 June 2019 12:55

I would agree that stars play a pivotal role in revenue generation and this is pretty obvious. That said, there seem to be a lot of top tier level salaries being handed out to players who are decidedly not stars. This is a great year to be a 60-70 percentile talent UFA player. If NHL GM's continue to make deals with only the short term in sight while triggering huge long term implications, I can't see it being good for the league. I guess we'll see.

Edit: many criticized the Eberle deal last week. It's beginning to look like a steal now!

Does not bode well for keeping Nuge around, does it? If Skinner is a 9mill contract, if Hayes is a little over 7, what will RNH command for his 3rd contract 2 summers from now? Madness.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #739099 is a reply to message #739098 ]
Thu, 20 June 2019 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 20 June 2019 13:52

Does not bode well for keeping Nuge around, does it? If Skinner is a 9mill contract, if Hayes is a little over 7, what will RNH command for his 3rd contract 2 summers from now? Madness.

GM’s sign these monster deals because they quite often aren’t there when the contract gets to be a boat anchor. Imagine if the NHL somehow tied salary caps to the GMs that made the deals. It could never work but I bet they’d negotiate harder

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired [message #739124 is a reply to message #739096 ]
Thu, 20 June 2019 19:55 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Agreed - the Hayes deal is idiotic. I'd suggest that the Flyers will come to regret that one. They've got a young, cheap defence, and a starting goalie on a rookie deal, so they're likely fine to absorb that, but Hayes, not being a star, probably shouldn't be getting paid like one. That team has four forwards on deals worth $7MM or more. No other team in the league has that many players making that much. There are only 34 forwards in the NHL making over $7 mill - so Hayes is a mistake. The problem is that one GM's mistake is always another GMs issue, because it's now a comparable that is going to get used moving forward.

We probably have 50 guys making over 7 in 15 months. And that takes money out of the pot for the guys lower on the list.

Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4]  
Previous Topic:Puljujarvi wants out.
Next Topic:Oilers 19-20 pre-season schedule
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca