This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Woodcroft signed to an extension
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Woodcroft signed to an extension [message #738674]
Wed, 12 June 2019 10:25 Go to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

The Oilers just signed Woodcroft to an extension that takes him to the 21-22 season.

I think that is a very good thing as he did a really good job this season in Bakersfield. This extension would take him to when Tippet's deal would be up. Potentially locking up their next head coach as he would have 4 years of AHL head coaching under his belt which would probably be enough to be ready to make the jump.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Woodcroft signed to an extension [message #738676 is a reply to message #738674 ]
Wed, 12 June 2019 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Yeah it's a good signing, did great in his first year in Bakersfield.

It was frustrating the lack of attention the Oilers brass gave to the Gerry Fleming led Barons/Condors, he made the playoffs the year he took over Todd Nelson but then missed 3 years in a row. There was a step backwards in any player development down there. What the hell was Chiarelli and Nicholson doing during that time? Was that Mac T's job? Imagine if there was even a prospect or two in that time that could have came up during McDavid's first 3 seasons.

We've finally seen some strides taken with the farm team, Benson, Marody, Gambardella, Jones. I think Woodcroft deserves some credit for that. Maybe a year of JP under Woodcroft could help elevate him.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Woodcroft signed to an extension [message #738677 is a reply to message #738676 ]
Wed, 12 June 2019 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I see this signing as the Oilers organization having people in place who finally recognize talent. In the past they had young coaches who they let go. Nelson was a guy who was an up and comer but they did try him for a short time at their HC. A guy I am thinking of is Rocky Thompson who's a rising start and leading other teams AHL teams to do very well. So this is a good move.

Plus Woodcoft is a skills type of coach so I think he will make a big impact in helping to develop their young players. In the past when the Oilers had Flemming as their AHL coach, I think he was a guy who was more concerned about trying to coach to win games vs development. So he leaned on AHLers way too much. You want to win in the AHL but development of players should be the #1 priority.

Re: Woodcroft signed to an extension [message #738681 is a reply to message #738676 ]
Wed, 12 June 2019 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

WhoreableGuy wrote on Wed, 12 June 2019 10:38

Yeah it's a good signing, did great in his first year in Bakersfield.

It was frustrating the lack of attention the Oilers brass gave to the Gerry Fleming led Barons/Condors, he made the playoffs the year he took over Todd Nelson but then missed 3 years in a row. There was a step backwards in any player development down there. What the hell was Chiarelli and Nicholson doing during that time? Was that Mac T's job? Imagine if there was even a prospect or two in that time that could have came up during McDavid's first 3 seasons.

We've finally seen some strides taken with the farm team, Benson, Marody, Gambardella, Jones. I think Woodcroft deserves some credit for that. Maybe a year of JP under Woodcroft could help elevate him.

Let's be clear here, Craig MacTavish only had anything to do with the successful versions of the minor team. Any points, even within a given season, where the team was underperforming were unrelated to Craig's amazing work. Why else do you think he was offered that sweet Russian gig?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Woodcroft signed to an extension [message #738684 is a reply to message #738681 ]
Wed, 12 June 2019 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

One of the most consistent aspects of the Lowe / MacTavish era (you know this as the 19 year long "decade of darkness") is the undervaluing of the AHL club. I wonder if Chiarelli played a big part of Bakersfield success this year. Considering they handed over Hamilton to Montreal, abandoned Toronto, abandoned Edmonton, went a year or two without a club, apologized to Springfield, pulled out of OKC in a less that positive way, and apologizes to Bakersfield before having ONE good year.

I'm not against this signing, but maybe let's see the Condors have a second good season before anointing Woodcroft as the second coming.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Woodcroft signed to an extension [message #738703 is a reply to message #738684 ]
Wed, 12 June 2019 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 12 June 2019 14:04

One of the most consistent aspects of the Lowe / MacTavish era (you know this as the 19 year long "decade of darkness") is the undervaluing of the AHL club. I wonder if Chiarelli played a big part of Bakersfield success this year. Considering they handed over Hamilton to Montreal, abandoned Toronto, abandoned Edmonton, went a year or two without a club, apologized to Springfield, pulled out of OKC in a less that positive way, and apologizes to Bakersfield before having ONE good year.

I'm not against this signing, but maybe let's see the Condors have a second good season before anointing Woodcroft as the second coming.

You forgot to end with "Get off my lawn !!! " fishing fishing fishing

Re: Woodcroft signed to an extension [message #738753 is a reply to message #738674 ]
Thu, 13 June 2019 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

He proved himself to be a pretty good head coach and this looks like an example of creating the stability in the organization that Holland is talking about.

Re: Woodcroft signed to an extension [message #738760 is a reply to message #738753 ]
Thu, 13 June 2019 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Thu, 13 June 2019 19:42

He proved himself to be a pretty good head coach and this looks like an example of creating the stability in the organization that Holland is talking about.

Yeah, the 2017 Oilers were pretty good, oh wait, you’re talking about the condors. Never mind. I mistakenly got two teams confused. My bad.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Woodcroft signed to an extension [message #738765 is a reply to message #738760 ]
Fri, 14 June 2019 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 13 June 2019 23:23

Yeah, the 2017 Oilers were pretty good, oh wait, you’re talking about the condors. Never mind. I mistakenly got two teams confused. My bad.

Anyone overly excited that Woodcroft's team got in to the playoffs and won a round should remember that Dallas Eakins' team got in and won two rounds...including knocking off the Condors.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Woodcroft signed to an extension [message #738767 is a reply to message #738765 ]
Fri, 14 June 2019 07:07 Go to previous message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 14 June 2019 02:26

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 13 June 2019 23:23

Anyone overly excited that Woodcroft's team got in to the playoffs and won a round should remember that Dallas Eakins' team got in and won two rounds...including knocking off the Condors.

Gulls had a better team overall, especially the forward group after Condors lost Morody last round. Refs also ruined that series off the bat allowing the Gulls to tie the game late off a blatant interference play. COndors goaltending had a rough run as well.

Was just typical DUcks vs Oilers franchise stuff. Woodcroft is still upgraded to Steelcroft in my books. Gotta see what he does next year though :) Another good year, and he might be upgraded to Silvercroft or maybe Goldcroft.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Woodcroft signed to an extension [message #738762 is a reply to message #738674 ]
Thu, 13 June 2019 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Hope he can reproduce last season. And he should get a roster upgrade with a couple new D prospects.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Previous Topic:Oilers 19-20 pre-season schedule
Next Topic:Keith Officially Named AGM
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca