This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #737825]
Tue, 21 May 2019 13:22 Go to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Spector on Stauffers show just said that the Oilers parted ways with Duane Sutter and J.J Hebert.

Another one down on the pro hockey side. So far at least there is some positive change in the organization. I hope it continues.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 May 2019 13:34]

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #737826 is a reply to message #737825 ]
Tue, 21 May 2019 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 21 May 2019 13:22

Spector on Stauffers show just said that the Oilers parted ways with Duane Sutter and J.J Hebert.

Another one down on the pro hockey side. So far at least there is some positive change in the organization. I hope it continues.

They've been signalling the Sutter departure since January. It would have been awkward if he was still there next year. Least surprising dismissal ever...it really should have been done by Nicholson months ago.

JJ Hebert...who cares. He's the media relations guy. The only way this move is at all relevant is if he was one of the guys leaking to the media. Or if he was behind the terrible decision to put Yakupov out to face the media by himself after the Larionov trade request furor. Or if he was the one who decided Hall needed to go out and give a show of support for Dallas Eakins. Hmmm...maybe there was a need to get rid of the PR guy...still, it's a minor move at best.

Worth noting, neither of these guys were important enough to make my email signature. Would prefer to have heard Howson was cleaning out his office...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #737827 is a reply to message #737826 ]
Tue, 21 May 2019 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Lulz. It was the PR guy all along!

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #737828 is a reply to message #737827 ]
Tue, 21 May 2019 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

I'm just glad to see that the website has been updated, and Keith G. is holding firm. Love that guy.

Regarding Wayne:

"Wayne Gretzky, 57, enters his third season as the Oilers Entertainment Group (OEG) Vice Chair with Kevin Lowe, after being named on October 12, 2016. In this role, Gretzky works closely with Daryl Katz, OEG CEO and Vice Chair Bob Nicholson and Vice Chair Kevin Lowe in all aspects of the organization, including business and !!!hockey operations!!!."

So the drunk guy is the VP of something and gets to give his take on hockey ops.

Greeeaaaaaat.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #737829 is a reply to message #737827 ]
Tue, 21 May 2019 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

I have no idea what the reasoning behind letting the PR guy go is, but honestly, the team has had blunder after blunder at press conferences over the years. From Lowe and his tiers of fans, and 6 rings, to MacT announcing all of his intentions while slamming his own players publicly, not to mention Nicholson sounding completely clueless about the team he's supposedly overseeing for DK. I assume some of that responsibility has to fall on the PR guy not prepping these guys, and having a good feel for the temperature of the fan base and media and what questions are likely coming their way. The PR guy needs to be protecting the public image of the brand, yet these knobs continuously become memes and the laughing stock of the league. Sure, guys are going to put their foot in their mouth once in a while, but man this group have had it firmly planted through the back of their craniums for 15 years.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #737832 is a reply to message #737829 ]
Tue, 21 May 2019 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

jds308 wrote on Tue, 21 May 2019 14:10

I have no idea what the reasoning behind letting the PR guy go is, but honestly, the team has had blunder after blunder at press conferences over the years. From Lowe and his tiers of fans, and 6 rings, to MacT announcing all of his intentions while slamming his own players publicly, not to mention Nicholson sounding completely clueless about the team he's supposedly overseeing for DK. I assume some of that responsibility has to fall on the PR guy not prepping these guys, and having a good feel for the temperature of the fan base and media and what questions are likely coming their way. The PR guy needs to be protecting the public image of the brand, yet these knobs continuously become memes and the laughing stock of the league. Sure, guys are going to put their foot in their mouth once in a while, but man this group have had it firmly planted through the back of their craniums for 15 years.

I'm not sure what a PR guy could do about any of that. Most of it is people being who they are and letting their guard down even for a moment. Even Bobby "Blame Toby" Nicks, who you'd think would be wiser.

I think the Oilers to its core need a new more humble and hard working value to steer itself by.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #737834 is a reply to message #737829 ]
Tue, 21 May 2019 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Tue, 21 May 2019 15:10

It would be tough to work with these numbskulls though and actually make them look smart. They are so headstrong in their belief they've figured it all out, that I doubt they check with the PR guy before they do anything.

I remember talking to a guy who was in communications at the time of the 6 Rings/2 Tiers press conference (a guy who recommended that Kevin Lowe get out and apologize), and he wasn't in the building but was following on twitter, flabbergasted at what he was seeing come out from those genius's mouths...

I don't think anyone needs to defend JJ Hebert, but PR is the least of the team's concerns, and if that's the extent of the blood-letting and they think that will satisfy the team's critics, then they're deluded.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #737836 is a reply to message #737834 ]
Tue, 21 May 2019 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 21 May 2019 15:01

It would be tough to work with these numbskulls though and actually make them look smart. They are so headstrong in their belief they've figured it all out, that I doubt they check with the PR guy before they do anything.

I remember talking to a guy who was in communications at the time of the 6 Rings/2 Tiers press conference (a guy who recommended that Kevin Lowe get out and apologize), and he wasn't in the building but was following on twitter, flabbergasted at what he was seeing come out from those genius's mouths...

I don't think anyone needs to defend JJ Hebert, but PR is the least of the team's concerns, and if that's the extent of the blood-letting and they think that will satisfy the team's critics, then they're deluded.

Yeah, fair enough. I'm not letting the MGMT peeps off the hook and laying the blame exclusively on JJ Pr dude, I'm only suggesting that with him being let go, perhaps there is a perception amongst the new regime that he either hasn't been doing enough prep with the former bafoons, or perhaps he just wasn't being listened to. Either way, probably a good time for a fresh face in the PR department. Afterall, a lot of what we as fans talk about can be somewhat controlled by the team if they play their cards strategically.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #737841 is a reply to message #737836 ]
Tue, 21 May 2019 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Tue, 21 May 2019 16:21

Adam wrote on Tue, 21 May 2019 15:01

Yeah, fair enough. I'm not letting the MGMT peeps off the hook and laying the blame exclusively on JJ Pr dude, I'm only suggesting that with him being let go, perhaps there is a perception amongst the new regime that he either hasn't been doing enough prep with the former bafoons, or perhaps he just wasn't being listened to. Either way, probably a good time for a fresh face in the PR department. Afterall, a lot of what we as fans talk about can be somewhat controlled by the team if they play their cards strategically.

Seeing the Edmonton area scribes saddened by Hebert's departure probably means it was a good decision. If he was just helping those lackeys carry the mail, then I don't think we need him here.

Here's Mark Spector's take on things:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/depth-oilers-roster-shal low-holland-keep-sutter-aboard/

He suggests that this isn't the last change. It really shouldn't be. If the organization believed that one scout, one PR guy and a guy you basically congratulated for chasing his dreams as he left were all the changes needed...well, it would be business as usual for the Oilers, but really, they need deeper cuts.

Spec does parrot this lame take from Jim Matheson though:

Quote:

Jim Matheson
@NHLbyMatty

I get the sense VP of player development Scott Howson will be staying on in Edmonton in that capacity or another one. He made an hour-long presentation on prospects at pro meetings last week...

Ignoring the fact that an hour long presentation about all the team's prospects is really just a short recap on each guy - especially if there's any dialogue about any of them - this is not a reason to keep the guy.

I'm sure he made a really nice powerpoint slide too...but he has a long history of being a top exec on failing NHL teams. And he advocated for Nikita Nikitin. He should be sent away.

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #737837 is a reply to message #737825 ]
Tue, 21 May 2019 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

My ideal pack-your-crap list looks something like this:

1. Kevin Lowe
2. Bob Nicholson
3. Scott Howson
4-6. The vague roles of Messier, Coffey, and Gretzky.
7-8. The Paul Messier/Keith Gretzky brotherly dream team

It hasn't changed today.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 May 2019 16:55]

Clean house or bust

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #737872 is a reply to message #737837 ]
Wed, 22 May 2019 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 21 May 2019 16:48

1. Kevin Lowe
2. Bob Nicholson
3. Scott Howson

It hasn't changed today.

Yeah this is how I'd like the order to go down.

I'll be satisfied if the Oilers axed to #3, the rest I can handle because they weren't directly involved in destroying the franchise. Lowe, Nicholson and Howson all have to go.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #737894 is a reply to message #737872 ]
Wed, 22 May 2019 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

WhoreableGuy wrote on Wed, 22 May 2019 12:01

1. Kevin Lowe
2. Bob Nicholson
3. Scott Howson

It hasn't changed today.

I'll be satisfied if the Oilers axed to #3, the rest I can handle because they weren't directly involved in destroying the franchise. Lowe, Nicholson and Howson all have to go.

More realistically, if I’m Jeremy Coupal, Oilers Video Coach, I’m polishing up my résumé as the inevitable deck chair that gets moved.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #737906 is a reply to message #737894 ]
Thu, 23 May 2019 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 22 May 2019 16:46

WhoreableGuy wrote on Wed, 22 May 2019 12:01

1. Kevin Lowe
2. Bob Nicholson
3. Scott Howson

It hasn't changed today.

More realistically, if I’m Jeremy Coupal, Oilers Video Coach, I’m polishing up my résumé as the inevitable deck chair that gets moved.

Definitely the Video Coach. It's all his fault!

It's also been 3-4 years since we last fired the goalie coach too...and he never actually played for the Oilers...

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #737840 is a reply to message #737825 ]
Tue, 21 May 2019 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Less idiots the better. Good riddance to Duane. Hebert, whatevs. This org has done nothing well for a long time, and he's probably at least a tiny part of it :)

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #737851 is a reply to message #737840 ]
Tue, 21 May 2019 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vagabond  is currently offline vagabond

No Cups

With all the bad choices that was made if picking up currently NHLERS it was time for the head of pro scouting to go

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #737860 is a reply to message #737840 ]
Wed, 22 May 2019 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 21 May 2019 17:44

Less idiots the better. Good riddance to Duane. Hebert, whatevs. This org has done nothing well for a long time, and he's probably at least a tiny part of it :)

Well Sutter was the main guy for pro scouting and supposedly the main person Chia got info from so I would say it's a definite step in the right direction.

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #737864 is a reply to message #737825 ]
Wed, 22 May 2019 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

The situation requires a sacrificial lamb or two no matter what. Hopefully it doesn't end there. Somebody had to go to appease the masses at the very least. I do suspect Sutter wasn't very good at his job but who really knows, it's not all on one man to make the decisions on players, some of which turn out badly.

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #737871 is a reply to message #737864 ]
Wed, 22 May 2019 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Could we have a sacrificial goat? Maybe two? The GOAT in Gretz and the management goat in Lowe?

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #738034 is a reply to message #737825 ]
Mon, 27 May 2019 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

"Not I" said the wolf.. when being asked why there is are no chickens left in the hen house.

I bet this happens when people look around the room and wonder why the team is just so bad.

It's not getting better.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #738035 is a reply to message #738034 ]
Mon, 27 May 2019 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 27 May 2019 10:25

"Not I" said the wolf.. when being asked why there is are no chickens left in the hen house.

I bet this happens when people look around the room and wonder why the team is just so bad.

It's not getting better.

Don't worry. We have a Holland and probably a Tippett now.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #738088 is a reply to message #738035 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 27 May 2019 10:30

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 27 May 2019 10:25

It's not getting better.

Don't worry. We have a Holland and probably a Tippett now.

Worry intensifies.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #738102 is a reply to message #737825 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Spector saying the Oilers and Coffey have parted ways.

He will surely be missed.

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #738104 is a reply to message #738102 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 12:17

Another old Oiler gone. They are slowly being weeded out which is a good thing.

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #738105 is a reply to message #738104 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 12:26

Another old Oiler gone. They are slowly being weeded out which is a good thing.

Leaves a massive void. Who is coaching his kids’ team now?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #738107 is a reply to message #738102 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oh no, our Dman skillz coach.

Who is gonna teach the skillz now?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WeirdSneakyArachnid-size_restricted.gif

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #738109 is a reply to message #738102 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oilers leaked a part of Holland's interview with Coffey.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #738566 is a reply to message #737825 ]
Mon, 10 June 2019 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

We aren't talking about it but the team has showed real improvement since these moves.

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #738569 is a reply to message #738566 ]
Mon, 10 June 2019 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 10 June 2019 12:17

We aren't talking about it but the team has showed real improvement since these moves.

I haven't noticed any glaring PR mistakes in the last month, so there's that.

Less Bob Nicholson seems to have played a big role in that though...

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #738584 is a reply to message #738569 ]
Mon, 10 June 2019 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 10 June 2019 13:25

Congrats, by the way, to Mr. Nicholson on his promotion.

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #738585 is a reply to message #738584 ]
Mon, 10 June 2019 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 10 June 2019 16:32

A well-deserved honour. I mean, not only is this guy iconic in hockey in Canada - directly responsible for three gold medals, I believe - but he's also done two forensic audits (results unavailable) and a very thorough GM search including the unorthodox approach of asking his competitors who he should hire!

Outside-the-box thinking like that needs to be rewarded. Although, if I'm Bob I might be asking what the promotion actually is, since the reporting structure didn't seem to change at all. I wonder if it came with a raise? Undoubtedly, for the entire Oilers management structure, the rest of the day after the press conference was spent deep in their cups celebrating. After all, it's Monday!

Re: Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out [message #738593 is a reply to message #738585 ]
Tue, 11 June 2019 02:25 Go to previous message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 10 June 2019 16:42

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 10 June 2019 16:32

A well-deserved honour. I mean, not only is this guy iconic in hockey in Canada - directly responsible for three gold medals, I believe - but he's also done two forensic audits (results unavailable) and a very thorough GM search including the unorthodox approach of asking his competitors who he should hire!

Outside-the-box thinking like that needs to be rewarded. Although, if I'm Bob I might be asking what the promotion actually is, since the reporting structure didn't seem to change at all. I wonder if it came with a raise? Undoubtedly, for the entire Oilers management structure, the rest of the day after the press conference was spent deep in their cups celebrating. After all, it's Monday!

Sounds like he was fired upwards to avoid embarrassment.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Previous Topic:Keith Officially Named AGM
Next Topic:Anselmi to be President, Nicholson named Chairman
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca