This day on January 18
Acquired: Micah Aivazoff (1995) Len Esau (1995) Dean Kennedy (1995)

Happy Birthday To: brad233, gloss233, joker911

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » PK SubbanPages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: RthatRe: PK Subban [message #736578 is a reply to message #736573 ]
Sat, 27 April 2019 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

jeff340 wrote on Sat, 27 April 2019 14:34

Maybe the Oilers should have just signed Erik Gustafsson a few years ago instead of just letting their draft pick sign with Chicago

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /unsigned-edmonton-oilers-draft-pick-erik-gustafsson-has-agr eed-to-an-entry-level-deal-with-the-chicago-blackhawks

He had 17G and 43A for 60 points playing for Chicago this year.

But how good is he at breaking up cycles? Brandon Manning level? Doubt it!

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Send a private message to this user  

Re: PK Subban [message #736582 is a reply to message #736364 ]
Sat, 27 April 2019 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

I think there's a faction of Oilers fans that are too quick to trade Nurse (probably also a faction that overvalued him). Truthfully, they probably should have locked him up long term this past summer like Vegas did with Theodore; I predicted at the time that by not doing so it would cost them more in the long-run.

Option A should be finding Nurse a RHD partner rather than trading him. That's the gap in the Top-4. Nurse, Klefbom, and Larsson fill out the rest quite nicely, but trying to force Sekera, Russell, or Benning into that Top-4 is just not working (and won't work).

(Also, this being the case, Sekera and Russell make too much to be toiling on the third pairing, and should be looked to be moved to open cap space. Bear and Jones are close to ready if not already there).

Remember: Nurse is the first Oilers defenseman to hit 40 points in a decade (Souray and Gilbert being the last). He's very close with McDavid, and I think that has to be a factor. He's adding something on that blueline we've been missing for a very long time.

So, before they ever go exploring trading Nurse, they should look to find him a partner. I'd be looking at the list of guys one year away from UFA - perhaps teams are looking to move them now and an extension can be reached. Barrie, Faulk, Spurgeon, Tanev, Pysyk... I'd be making calls on those guys.

Re: PK Subban [message #736595 is a reply to message #736582 ]
Sun, 28 April 2019 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vagabond  is currently offline vagabond

No Cups

My statement was

IF I WAS THE PREDS

I do not want to trade Nures, more over I do not want PK on the team and more on point--we have interesting pieces on the back end where I think going big game hunting is not in order

Top pairing in a few years

Nurse-Bouchard
Klefbom-Larson
Bear- Jones

Once developed that is not a bad top 6

Bouchard could easily be our PK

Re: PK Subban [message #736603 is a reply to message #736595 ]
Sun, 28 April 2019 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

vagabond wrote on Sun, 28 April 2019 10:40

My statement was

IF I WAS THE PREDS

I do not want to trade Nures, more over I do not want PK on the team and more on point--we have interesting pieces on the back end where I think going big game hunting is not in order

Nurse-Bouchard
Klefbom-Larson
Bear- Jones

Except Bouchard and PK are completely different players. Bouchard will move the puck with a nice long outlet pass or a smart short pass. Meanwhile PK can do all of the above and. Lead acrush and walk the line on the PP.

Not discounting Bouchard, but. If both were the same age I’d take Subban every day. That being said I avoid Subban today, tomorrow and every other day unless they want to eat Lucic’s contract.

Re: PK Subban [message #736604 is a reply to message #736603 ]
Sun, 28 April 2019 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sun, 28 April 2019 13:51

My statement was

IF I WAS THE PREDS

Nurse-Bouchard
Klefbom-Larson
Bear- Jones

Except Bouchard and PK are completely different players. Bouchard will move the puck with a nice long outlet pass or a smart short pass. Meanwhile PK can do all of the above and. Lead acrush and walk the line on the PP.

Not discounting Bouchard, but. If both were the same age I’d take Subban every day. That being said I avoid Subban today, tomorrow and every other day unless they want to eat Lucic’s contract.

Speaking of Nashville and Lucic. I wonder if they would swap Turris and Lucic. Turris had a horrible year, and is owed 6M a year for 5 more years, same cap hit as Lucic. But, Turris has no signing bonuses. Lucic costs less real money, so they could save money by taking Lucic on in return, and his deal is 1 year less.

We would take Turris with the hope he could rebound his career a bit playing wing with Drai or McDavid. And if he's just not working out after a couple years, his buyout is less painful than Lucic's. More term, but cap hit is 2M a year instead during these crucial years when we're trying to give McDavid and Drai reasons to believe this team isn't a dead end.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: PK Subban [message #736615 is a reply to message #736604 ]
Sun, 28 April 2019 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 28 April 2019 21:00

My statement was

IF I WAS THE PREDS

Nurse-Bouchard
Klefbom-Larson
Bear- Jones

Speaking of Nashville and Lucic. I wonder if they would swap Turris and Lucic. Turris had a horrible year, and is owed 6M a year for 5 more years, same cap hit as Lucic. But, Turris has no signing bonuses. Lucic costs less real money, so they could save money by taking Lucic on in return, and his deal is 1 year less.

We would take Turris with the hope he could rebound his career a bit playing wing with Drai or McDavid. And if he's just not working out after a couple years, his buyout is less painful than Lucic's. More term, but cap hit is 2M a year instead during these crucial years when we're trying to give McDavid and Drai reasons to believe this team isn't a dead end.

turris buy out is a lot easier to swallow then Lucic

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/kyle-turris/20 19-06-15

Re: PK Subban [message #736618 is a reply to message #736604 ]
Sun, 28 April 2019 16:01 Go to previous message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 28 April 2019 14:00

My statement was

IF I WAS THE PREDS

Nurse-Bouchard
Klefbom-Larson
Bear- Jones

Turris could be a good 3C also. That's still a big hole (sorry Oilers, Cave is not the answer). I think they'll probably have to pay a lot more to fill that spot than Strome's 3M; either through free agency (Marcus Johansson for example) or through trade (though flipping Lucic in a deal like this would definitely be more palatable).

Re: PK Subban [message #736614 is a reply to message #736603 ]
Sun, 28 April 2019 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sun, 28 April 2019 20:51

My statement was

IF I WAS THE PREDS

Nurse-Bouchard
Klefbom-Larson
Bear- Jones

but they are not the same age and that contract is still a killer for a team like the oilers with cap problems

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:New Third Jersey
Next Topic:Hypothetical ‘BIG’ trade...
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca