This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » McLellan Out. Hitchcock In.Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735200 is a reply to message #735197 ]
Sun, 07 April 2019 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sun, 07 April 2019 21:30

It would be wonderful for the Kings to pick up McLellan and for the Ducks to promote Eakins.

This is fully within the realm of possible!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Send a private message to this user  

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735201 is a reply to message #735200 ]
Sun, 07 April 2019 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 07 April 2019 21:52

It would be wonderful for the Kings to pick up McLellan and for the Ducks to promote Eakins.

It's nice that competitors in the Pacific Division have looked at what the Oilers have done and though, "yeah, I want some of that".

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735203 is a reply to message #735201 ]
Sun, 07 April 2019 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 07 April 2019 22:03

It's nice that competitors in the Pacific Division have looked at what the Oilers have done and though, "yeah, I want some of that".

Maybe it’s the day drinking turned dinner drinking turned night drinking... but would there be any(many?) complaints about Lombardi being our next GM? In typical Oilers fashion... a one for one. McLellan for Lombardi.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735220 is a reply to message #735201 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 07 April 2019 22:03

Yeah, or they realize that if you pull someone out of a pool of raw sewage they are probably going to smell.
Hose them off and remove them from the liquid feces and they could actually be useful.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735198 is a reply to message #735195 ]
Sun, 07 April 2019 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 07 April 2019 21:28

Soooo the Kings have asked the Oilers permission to speak with Todd re: their HC vacancy

Good for Katz. Lots of money to be saved!

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735236 is a reply to message #722722 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

I'm still of the opinion that Todd should have never been fired, but it's now proven that with the change the end result was the same and that was the wrong players are with the team.

I think by Hitch's performance, Todd is vindicated.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735254 is a reply to message #735236 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 10:20

I'm still of the opinion that Todd should have never been fired, but it's now proven that with the change the end result was the same and that was the wrong players are with the team.

That's something of a false argument. It's equally possible that Hitchcock and McLellan equally mismanaged the Oilers in their time as coach. There is ample evidence Todd was unwilling or unable to make adjustments and it should be noted that Chiarelli (alone, all by himself, no one else to blame) made the team much worse after McLellan was fired.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735257 is a reply to message #735254 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 10:39

That's something of a false argument. It's equally possible that Hitchcock and McLellan equally mismanaged the Oilers in their time as coach. There is ample evidence Todd was unwilling or unable to make adjustments and it should be noted that Chiarelli (alone, all by himself, no one else to blame) made the team much worse after McLellan was fired.

Replaced stubborn old school guy with older stubborn old school guy.

I'm not surprised that Drai said nothing changed between coaches.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735258 is a reply to message #735257 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 10:41

Replaced stubborn old school guy with older stubborn old school guy.

I'm not surprised that Drai said nothing changed between coaches.

Hitchcock was a better quote. I'm surprised Drai didn't mention that fact.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735267 is a reply to message #735254 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Okay, so lateral move at best?

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735269 is a reply to message #735267 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 11:25

Yup.

To my point, it's equally possible that McLellan and Hitchcock were equal good, but the assembled team never had the chance of being anything more than a dumpster fire. We'll never know because they'll never fire everyone and actually work on solving the problem.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735274 is a reply to message #735269 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 11:27

Yup.

To my point, it's equally possible that McLellan and Hitchcock were equal good, but the assembled team never had the chance of being anything more than a dumpster fire. We'll never know because they'll never fire everyone and actually work on solving the problem.

But McLellan breaks a long streak - first Oilers coach since Ron Low to get another head coaching gig in the NHL! Congrats to him?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735278 is a reply to message #735274 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 11:43

Yup.

But McLellan breaks a long streak - first Oilers coach since Ron Low to get another head coaching gig in the NHL! Congrats to him?

Hopefully this is a retirement gig. Somewhat of a fire to the frying pan move for him.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735283 is a reply to message #735278 ]
Mon, 08 April 2019 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 08 April 2019 11:57

Yup.

Hopefully this is a retirement gig. Somewhat of a fire to the frying pan move for him.

He may not be the one to break it... 'Ol swarm may get that honour if the Ducks act quicker than the Kings.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735484 is a reply to message #735274 ]
Wed, 10 April 2019 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

That is pretty telling isn't it? That no other Oilers head coach got another NHL job since.. since.. I can't remember when.

Congrats to MacLellan entirely I'd think.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735544 is a reply to message #735484 ]
Wed, 10 April 2019 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 10 April 2019 10:33

That is pretty telling isn't it? That no other Oilers head coach got another NHL job since.. since.. I can't remember when.

Ron Low with the Rangers. That’s the last one.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735567 is a reply to message #735544 ]
Wed, 10 April 2019 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 10 April 2019 17:55

Don’t forget Dallas Eakins with the ducks in a bit.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735568 is a reply to message #735567 ]
Wed, 10 April 2019 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 10 April 2019 22:53

Well, once the curse is lifted, who knows how many times we will see it happen.

McLellan, Eakins, Nelson...we might see a few get new gigs.

For what it’s worth, I hope teams hire McLellan and Eakins. I think they both were pretty poor here and so I’m happy to see them flounder on one of our rivals. Eakins can drive their players nuts with stupid mantras and ridiculous defensive schemes, while McLellan can kill their special teams and then belittle his own players. I’m less excited about Nelson working as head coach somewhere else as he could be entirely competent.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735569 is a reply to message #735568 ]
Wed, 10 April 2019 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 10 April 2019 23:29

For what it’s worth, I hope teams hire McLellan and Eakins. I think they both were pretty poor here and so I’m happy to see them flounder on one of our rivals. Eakins can drive their players nuts with stupid mantras and ridiculous defensive schemes, while McLellan can kill their special teams and then belittle his own players. I’m less excited about Nelson working as head coach somewhere else as he could be entirely competent.

Rumor is that Ralph is looking for a management job if he comes back to the NHL. Might be an ultra rare guy to get promoted vs his Oiler job.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735572 is a reply to message #735569 ]
Wed, 10 April 2019 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 10 April 2019 23:35

Rumor is that Ralph is looking for a management job if he comes back to the NHL. Might be an ultra rare guy to get promoted vs his Oiler job.

What do you mean? We’ve had plenty of our guys get promoted up:

Kevin Lowe - asst coach to head coach
Kevin Lowe - head coach to GM
Kevin Lowe - GM to POHO
Kevin Lowe - POHO to Vice-Chair and Alternate Governor
Craig MacTavish - Asst Coach to Head Coach
Craig MacTavish - Head Coach to stepped down to Special Assistant to the GM
Craig MacTavish - Special Assistant to the GM to GM
Craig MacTavish - GM to Asst GM and special advisor
Craig MacTavish - Asst GM to whatever the hell his title is now.
Scott Howson - Assistant GM to Blue Jackets GM
Scott Howson - Blue Jackets GM to Special Advisor.
Scott Howson - Special Advisor to Assistant GM
Scott Howson - Assistant GM to not renewed to scout to whatever the hell he is now.

You play your cards right and being an Oilers exec isn’t a hindrance to getting a promotion. It’s just that they don’t promote based on ability or aptitude and if you lose your Oilers job, no one at another team is likely to touch you...

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735573 is a reply to message #735572 ]
Wed, 10 April 2019 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 10 April 2019 23:52

Kevin Lowe - GM to POHO
Scott Howson - Assistant GM to not renewed to scout to whatever the hell he is now.

You play your cards right and being an Oilers exec isn’t a hindrance to getting a promotion. It’s just that they don’t promote based on ability or aptitude and if you lose your Oilers job, no one at another team is likely to touch you...

I was actually thinking of Howson, so could only say Krueger would be a rare case. obviously those other 2 turds don't count :)

Krueger definitely has a chance to be the first to earn a promoton vs his oilers job and not be a sad disappointment though!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735669 is a reply to message #735573 ]
Fri, 12 April 2019 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 10 April 2019 23:55

Kevin Lowe - GM to POHO

I was actually thinking of Howson, so could only say Krueger would be a rare case. obviously those other 2 turds don't count :)

Krueger definitely has a chance to be the first to earn a promoton vs his oilers job and not be a sad disappointment though!

To distill all this banter down.. since MacLellan and Eakins aren't in the NHL and seems to be the head coaches in waiting Ron Low is the only former Oilers coach to be rehired in the NHL. That's a sad state of affairs donchaknow?!

Krueger was unfairly treated by the Oilers Management as was Tom Renney.. but Tom landed on his feet rather well and Ralph went to an entirely different sport and rose to an area of prominence!

I don't think Ralph would give up his sweet European deal to come back to volatile world of NHL coaching. I think he's done.. he like to coach for sure but his deal in Soccer is amazing.. or so it appears.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735670 is a reply to message #735669 ]
Fri, 12 April 2019 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 12 April 2019 11:10

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 10 April 2019 23:55

Kevin Lowe - GM to POHO

To distill all this banter down.. since MacLellan and Eakins aren't in the NHL and seems to be the head coaches in waiting Ron Low is the only former Oilers coach to be rehired in the NHL. That's a sad state of affairs donchaknow?!

Krueger was unfairly treated by the Oilers Management as was Tom Renney.. but Tom landed on his feet rather well and Ralph went to an entirely different sport and rose to an area of prominence!

I don't think Ralph would give up his sweet European deal to come back to volatile world of NHL coaching. I think he's done.. he like to coach for sure but his deal in Soccer is amazing.. or so it appears.

Ralph is back on the market. His EPL contract expired and I think I saw that the new owners of his EPL team are not that good and he wants to move on anyways. His name is out there now for NHL jobs

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735671 is a reply to message #735669 ]
Fri, 12 April 2019 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

His amazing soccer deal is about to come to an end, weather Mr. Krueger wants to give it up or not.

https://www.tsn.ca/krueger-departs-as-chairman-of-southampto n-1.1289378

"SOUTHAMPTON, England — The ongoing shake-up at Premier League club Southampton has led to the departure of chairman Ralph Krueger after five years in the role."

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735672 is a reply to message #735671 ]
Fri, 12 April 2019 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 12 April 2019 10:28

His amazing soccer deal is about to come to an end, weather Mr. Krueger wants to give it up or not.

"SOUTHAMPTON, England — The ongoing shake-up at Premier League club Southampton has led to the departure of chairman Ralph Krueger after five years in the role."

He has said before that he would be interested in coaching in the NHL again if the situation was right. I can't fathom why he would possibly want to come back to this team though, in any capacity.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735673 is a reply to message #735671 ]
Fri, 12 April 2019 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 12 April 2019 11:28

God, 6 years since we kicked Ralph to the curb, added a generational player, another 100 point C via failed seasons and high picks. And the team is performing the same as when Ralph was here. Worse arguably, if the Oilers got to play Eastern teams in 2013 we would have been higher in the standings likely, since that team was really build for the eastern conference at the time. Good old days when we would do well against the East and get beat up vs the West. Now we just get beat by almost everyone evenly.

Does look like Ralph is leaving on good terms:

Quote:

Majority shareholder Gao Jisheng praised Krueger’s work. He said: “Ralph represented our club with honour and integrity, and followed ‘The Southampton Way’ with great passion. We thank him for the foundations he has helped to build and wish him well for the future.”

Fellow shareholder Katharina Liebherr added: “Ralph laid the foundations for the Saints to be a sustainable team that put pressure on the top sides in the Premier League. I, along with my family, will always be grateful for all that Ralph has done for the club.”

New ownership rode out his deal, and just want to go another way now. They kinda cleaned house.

If I recall correctly, when he joined that team, he had to sell off a lot of players that wanted out, and his first goal was trying to instill a good culture and get guys to embrace the underdog role. Worked for a while, but, in the end, it's a budget team and that league is pretty darn rigged for the big boys.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 April 2019 12:41]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735675 is a reply to message #735673 ]
Fri, 12 April 2019 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 12 April 2019 12:24

If I recall correctly, when he joined that team, he had to sell off a lot of players that wanted out, and his first goal was trying to instill a good culture and get guys to embrace the underdog role. Worked for a while, but, in the end, it's a budget team and that league is pretty darn rigged for the big boys.

Yeah, I almost feel a bit guilty as a Liverpool FC supporter, since they've probably plundered Southampton the most over the past 5 years or so, including Virgil Van Dyck. On the flip side, they DID pay Southampton a ton of money for those players, so it's not like they were left with nothing.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735676 is a reply to message #735675 ]
Fri, 12 April 2019 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 12 April 2019 13:05

Yeah, I almost feel a bit guilty as a Liverpool FC supporter, since they've probably plundered Southampton the most over the past 5 years or so, including Virgil Van Dyck. On the flip side, they DID pay Southampton a ton of money for those players, so it's not like they were left with nothing.

hehe yeah, I think that was another job Krueger had early on. Making ownership a butt load of money. Think he achieved that goal well, and still managed to get some good results out of what was left. Think that was his claim to fame for the first years of his time there.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735714 is a reply to message #735675 ]
Fri, 12 April 2019 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 12 April 2019 12:05

Not to nitpick, but Virgil's last name is spelled van Dijk.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #735695 is a reply to message #735671 ]
Fri, 12 April 2019 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 12 April 2019 11:28

...and SouthamptonFC makes me not as right as I usually am.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 April 2019 16:28]

Generally Disappointed.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #736217 is a reply to message #722722 ]
Tue, 23 April 2019 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Todd, spoke very highly of the city and the fans in his response. So I guess that's a plus.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/qa-todd-mclellan-fired-o ilers-rebuilding-kings/

Generally Disappointed.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #736667 is a reply to message #722722 ]
Mon, 29 April 2019 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Funny Perron quote:

https://www.ksdk.com/article/sports/berube-tinkering-with-to p-two-lines-and-defensive-pairing-for-monday-night-game/63-0 a48241e-6bf6-4acf-a2e2-d7085824a9c3

Quote:

Perron was adamant about talking about continuity instead of making it a focus on changing lines looking for a spark.

"Hopefully we don't turn into Hitch daily with a line update where we talk about a new line and it's going to be the whole solution of our problems," Perron said. "I think we've just got to play hard, we've got to be on the inside more and I think yes, it's nice to be on the right side because it's where I played for the most part this year, but again, I think 'Schenner' played a lot on the left side this year. They're going to take draws from strong side, him and Sunny, and we'll go from there."

I think we get what he's talking about :) Funny how "Hitch daily" is a thing though with players.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #736725 is a reply to message #736667 ]
Wed, 01 May 2019 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 29 April 2019 20:23

Funny Perron quote:

https://www.ksdk.com/article/sports/berube-tinkering-with-to p-two-lines-and-defensive-pairing-for-monday-night-game/63-0 a48241e-6bf6-4acf-a2e2-d7085824a9c3

Quote:

Perron was adamant about talking about continuity instead of making it a focus on changing lines looking for a spark.

"Hopefully we don't turn into Hitch daily with a line update where we talk about a new line and it's going to be the whole solution of our problems," Perron said. "I think we've just got to play hard, we've got to be on the inside more and I think yes, it's nice to be on the right side because it's where I played for the most part this year, but again, I think 'Schenner' played a lot on the left side this year. They're going to take draws from strong side, him and Sunny, and we'll go from there."

I think we get what he's talking about :) Funny how "Hitch daily" is a thing though with players.

I mean... he ain’t wrong

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #743967 is a reply to message #722722 ]
Fri, 04 October 2019 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Spector interviewed McLellan:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/qa-mclellan-divorce-oile rs-new-coaching-project-kings/

Some tidbits:

Quote:

SN: Looking back on Edmonton, what would you change that might have turned what ultimately was a failure, into a success?

T.M.: I’ve been asked that question a lot. I enjoyed every day I had in Edmonton — I could have stayed there for a long, long time. But the marriage has to be a two-way street, and obviously my partner (GM Peter Chiarelli) didn’t want to stay married. Every day I was there was good. Except for the last day, just because of the way things shook down. I’ll just leave it at that.

(Chiarelli, already planning to dismiss McLellan and having spoken with successor Ken Hitchcock, had McLellan fly with the team to San Jose for a road trip. There he fired McLellan the next morning, and put him on a plane back to Edmonton. It marked a sour, distrustful ending to the relationship, a story that McLellan does not tell, but one we learned elsewhere.)

We built the team up, and then it crumbled back down a little bit. We all need to take responsibility. And when I say “all,” I mean all — not just the coach or the general manager. I’ve accepted my role in it, and I’ve moved on. I’m happy here in L.A.

lol, Chia. What a douche.

Quote:

SN: One last question: What would you say to Oilers fan about the experience you had in their town? Any words for them, as they start down the road on another regime change?

T.M.: I am so thankful I got the opportunity to coach in Canada, but particularly in Edmonton. For me, if I was ever to get adopted by a community, that’s the community I would fit best. Growing up in Saskatoon, there are so many comparisons.

I would just tell the Edmonton fans, just keep being Edmonton fans. Because they are outstanding in their support of that team, and they just need to keep doing what they do.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #743985 is a reply to message #743967 ]
Sat, 05 October 2019 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 04 October 2019 20:42

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/qa-mclellan-divorce-oile rs-new-coaching-project-kings/

Some tidbits:

Quote:

SN: Looking back on Edmonton, what would you change that might have turned what ultimately was a failure, into a success?

T.M.: I’ve been asked that question a lot. I enjoyed every day I had in Edmonton — I could have stayed there for a long, long time. But the marriage has to be a two-way street, and obviously my partner (GM Peter Chiarelli) didn’t want to stay married. Every day I was there was good. Except for the last day, just because of the way things shook down. I’ll just leave it at that.

(Chiarelli, already planning to dismiss McLellan and having spoken with successor Ken Hitchcock, had McLellan fly with the team to San Jose for a road trip. There he fired McLellan the next morning, and put him on a plane back to Edmonton. It marked a sour, distrustful ending to the relationship, a story that McLellan does not tell, but one we learned elsewhere.)

We built the team up, and then it crumbled back down a little bit. We all need to take responsibility. And when I say “all,” I mean all — not just the coach or the general manager. I’ve accepted my role in it, and I’ve moved on. I’m happy here in L.A.

Quote:

SN: One last question: What would you say to Oilers fan about the experience you had in their town? Any words for them, as they start down the road on another regime change?

T.M.: I am so thankful I got the opportunity to coach in Canada, but particularly in Edmonton. For me, if I was ever to get adopted by a community, that’s the community I would fit best. Growing up in Saskatoon, there are so many comparisons.

I would just tell the Edmonton fans, just keep being Edmonton fans. Because they are outstanding in their support of that team, and they just need to keep doing what they do.

So Chia fit right in with the alumni way of running things.

McL was nothing more than a scapegoat. Unfortunately in these situations the coach is changed before the GM is.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #743988 is a reply to message #743985 ]
Sat, 05 October 2019 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sat, 05 October 2019 18:52

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 04 October 2019 20:42

Some tidbits:

Quote:

Quote:

So Chia fit right in with the alumni way of running things.

McL was nothing more than a scapegoat. Unfortunately in these situations the coach is changed before the GM is.

He wasn't that good of a coach still IMO. Pretty old school like Hitch. But for sure, he was much lower than Chia on the list of problems with the org last season.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: McLellan Out. Hitchcock In. [message #744046 is a reply to message #743988 ]
Sat, 05 October 2019 23:58 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 05 October 2019 18:59

He wasn't that good of a coach still IMO. Pretty old school like Hitch. But for sure, he was much lower than Chia on the list of problems with the org last season.

Agreed - even with this interview, he's throwing everyone else under the bus. Chia, the players, possibly the Old Boys...he's not really taking any responsibility, and yet his special teams were generally awful - which is in large part due to coaching - and his tenure was marked by stubbornness on things that weren't working (Lucic on PP1, for example) and throwing his players under the bus.

I'm pretty happy we're rid of Todd McLellan. I predict another miserable couple seasons for him in LA, where once again he can use the excuse of a weak roster to explain why he got next to nothing out of them.

Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Next Topic:Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca