This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » NHL Draft Lottery 2019Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: NHL Draft Lottery 2019 [message #735447 is a reply to message #735446 ]
Tue, 09 April 2019 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 09 April 2019 21:44

steve.kreys wrote on Tue, 09 April 2019 21:42

So do we trade the pick for help now or wait 2 or 3 years for the player to be ready

No cap space to add a quality player. Only help now we can do with may be attaching it to Lucic to get rid of his terrible contract. Think I would rather get the new youngin.

Kirby Dach, please.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Send a private message to this user  

Re: NHL Draft Lottery 2019 [message #735448 is a reply to message #735445 ]
Tue, 09 April 2019 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

So do we trade the pick for help now or wait 2 or 3 years for the player to be ready

We should at least try to destroy his value before we deal him...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: NHL Draft Lottery 2019 [message #735451 is a reply to message #735448 ]
Tue, 09 April 2019 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 09 April 2019 21:56

Indeed. Tell this pick to ditch the hotel room and start house shopping during training camp I say.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: NHL Draft Lottery 2019 [message #735452 is a reply to message #735448 ]
Tue, 09 April 2019 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 09 April 2019 21:56

"[BPA] is so bad, even the Oilers didn't want him!"

Re: NHL Draft Lottery 2019 [message #735456 is a reply to message #735452 ]
Tue, 09 April 2019 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve.kreys  is currently offline steve.kreys

No Cups

My math maybe crazy. But I am from the school. 1st overall, yeah he starts on your team in the fall. 2 and 3 maybe. 4 and below back to juniors for at least one or two. The guy we take at 8 might not be ready tlll 2022 at earliest

Re: NHL Draft Lottery 2019 [message #735463 is a reply to message #735456 ]
Wed, 10 April 2019 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

steve.kreys wrote on Tue, 09 April 2019 22:57

My math maybe crazy. But I am from the school. 1st overall, yeah he starts on your team in the fall. 2 and 3 maybe. 4 and below back to juniors for at least one or two. The guy we take at 8 might not be ready tlll 2022 at earliest

Yeah, but you aren't doing Oilers math:

1st Round Pick + No Talent in the Lineup = Opening Day Roster.

Re: NHL Draft Lottery 2019 [message #735471 is a reply to message #735463 ]
Wed, 10 April 2019 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 10 April 2019 02:53

steve.kreys wrote on Tue, 09 April 2019 22:57

Yeah, but you aren't doing Oilers math:

1st Round Pick + No Talent in the Lineup = Opening Day Roster.

But only for nine games... unless he shows some signs of being useful, then you have to destroy his confidence AND burn a year on his entry level contract.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: NHL Draft Lottery 2019 [message #735480 is a reply to message #735442 ]
Wed, 10 April 2019 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Taylor Hall, cementing his future in management, or at the very least draft lottery mercenary.

Re: NHL Draft Lottery 2019 [message #735483 is a reply to message #735480 ]
Wed, 10 April 2019 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Picking 8 means the Oilers will most likely miss out on of course Hughes and Kakko but also most likely Byram, Dach and Cozens. So anyone they draft will be years away. I wonder if you can package the pick to bring in a player. A team like the Leafs who will have some cap problems with Marner needing a new contract. Could you get a guy like a Kapanen or a Johnsson, both young, 20 goal scorers needing a new contract. Give them your #8 and something for one of them plus the Leafs late round pick.

Re: NHL Draft Lottery 2019 [message #735486 is a reply to message #735483 ]
Wed, 10 April 2019 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 10 April 2019 10:25

Picking 8 means the Oilers will most likely miss out on of course Hughes and Kakko but also most likely Byram, Dach and Cozens. So anyone they draft will be years away. I wonder if you can package the pick to bring in a player. A team like the Leafs who will have some cap problems with Marner needing a new contract. Could you get a guy like a Kapanen or a Johnsson, both young, 20 goal scorers needing a new contract. Give them your #8 and something for one of them plus the Leafs late round pick.

Think things have changed a bit. Forwards picked high can only be a year away if you make a solid pick. That little d-bag tkachuk down south was an impact player immediately.

There is really no quick fix for this team. I wouldn't rush anything to try to go nuts next season. The new GM will need a year at least to try to clean up the mess he is being handed.

Kapanen and Johnsson were both playing for contracts this year and had a pretty sweet situation getting cherry ice time on a deep team. Bet they are both 10-15 goal scorers in the mess we have here next season after we would have to give them a nice contract like they are 20+ guys.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: NHL Draft Lottery 2019 [message #735496 is a reply to message #735486 ]
Wed, 10 April 2019 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 10 April 2019 10:39

Think things have changed a bit. Forwards picked high can only be a year away if you make a solid pick. That little d-bag tkachuk down south was an impact player immediately.

There is really no quick fix for this team. I wouldn't rush anything to try to go nuts next season. The new GM will need a year at least to try to clean up the mess he is being handed.

Kapanen and Johnsson were both playing for contracts this year and had a pretty sweet situation getting cherry ice time on a deep team. Bet they are both 10-15 goal scorers in the mess we have here next season after we would have to give them a nice contract like they are 20+ guys.

I understand that in some cases, a forward drafted a bit later can be in the pros. But based on all the mock drafts, unless someone falls, the Oilers are probably picking a kid out of the US National Development program or I heard Lowetide advocating for Krebs who's a skinny kid and will probably need a few years just to fill out. I don't pretend to know a ton about the US Development league but I am of the belief that kids out of the the CHL get ready for the NHL a lot faster. I look at Middlestadt who I believe came out of the same National program. Played an entire season in college, then came out this past season and wasn't ready. He was drafted in 2017. He turns 21 in November.

I am also of the opinion that at some point the Oilers need to stop "building". You of course need to always stock pile more young kids to develop but you also have to stock the NHL team. I don't know if the guys I listed are the right guys, I just picked them because I knew they needed contracts and the Leafs are up against it. But even if they did go and get them, what is wrong with going out and getting a legit NHLer who is fast and you know will give you at least 15 goals plus another asset for the #8? The best case scenario for the #8 is in a couple of years he has earned a spot on your NHL team, what kind of player he will be in 2 years, won't be know. The worst case could be another Puljujarvi. The Oilers did not develop JP properly. He should have spent 2 years in the minors. BUT even if they did do that, it appears that JP was a player that needed at least 3 years of development before he could crack the NHL full time and be considered an every day top 9 player.

Re: NHL Draft Lottery 2019 [message #735487 is a reply to message #735483 ]
Wed, 10 April 2019 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeff340  is currently offline jeff340

No Cups

They need someone who can put the puck in the net. Arthur Kaliyev:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=208689

Re: NHL Draft Lottery 2019 [message #735497 is a reply to message #735483 ]
Wed, 10 April 2019 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

I think they have something in the wings and see who potentially falls to them.

Re: NHL Draft Lottery 2019 [message #735499 is a reply to message #735480 ]
Wed, 10 April 2019 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

After squandering so many high picks justice has been served on the Oilers as far as I'm concerned. That said, there is no guarantee that a top seven will be NHL ready other than maybe Huges and there is no guarantee that a below seven won't be ready sooner than later. Top picks for the Oilers other than McDavid don't really mean much. Just get a good quality guy and do a better job of bringing him along.

Re: NHL Draft Lottery 2019 [message #735500 is a reply to message #735499 ]
Wed, 10 April 2019 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Wed, 10 April 2019 12:16

After squandering so many high picks justice has been served on the Oilers as far as I'm concerned. That said, there is no guarantee that a top seven will be NHL ready other than maybe Huges and there is no guarantee that a below seven won't be ready sooner than later. Top picks for the Oilers other than McDavid don't really mean much. Just get a good quality guy and do a better job of bringing him along.

We really need to figure out how to draft well now. A high pick that is showing lots of promise in draft+1 and +2 years is worth more than that pick at the time. You can make trades like what the Pens did for Kessel with a quality prospect. Really too early to start selling out in the draft IMO, we need to keep trying to stock the cupboards, and we need to free up cap space so we can make actual good moves to bring quality players in. Chia completely screwed this team over for next year. We might not even have an NHL starting goalie yet. So many problem to try to sort out still before we start selling the future.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: NHL Draft Lottery 2019 [message #735535 is a reply to message #735500 ]
Wed, 10 April 2019 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve.kreys  is currently offline steve.kreys

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 10 April 2019 12:24

overdue wrote on Wed, 10 April 2019 12:16

We really need to figure out how to draft well now. A high pick that is showing lots of promise in draft+1 and +2 years is worth more than that pick at the time. You can make trades like what the Pens did for Kessel with a quality prospect. Really too early to start selling out in the draft IMO, we need to keep trying to stock the cupboards, and we need to free up cap space so we can make actual good moves to bring quality players in. Chia completely screwed this team over for next year. We might not even have an NHL starting goalie yet. So many problem to try to sort out still before we start selling the future.

But sometimes we can not catch a break

Yakupov- Him and Murray were 1a and 1b with Golenchyuk a distant 3rd. No one on the day of the draft were screaming for the oilers to take Hertl or Reily they were projected to be a step down from the other 3

When the blue jackets bypassed Pool Party--most said we stole a player there. We now know why the Blue Jackets did not take him. We should have sent him back to Europe for maybe two years. Not many people projected him to bust so hard and so fast.

We need to improve our development and hopefully Bear and Jones change the pattern

Re: NHL Draft Lottery 2019 [message #735536 is a reply to message #735500 ]
Wed, 10 April 2019 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Agree, the Oilers are limited by that bad cap management and really can't make a big splash unless they want to sell the future, so stay the course and keep developing more young players. It may take awhile but we have some good prospects coming on in Bakersfield ( that are actually playing in a winning environment for a change ) and we have two super star players to build around. All is not lost. ( you could include Nurse, Klef and Nuge as part of a pretty solid core )
Quote:

Really too early to start selling out in the draft

[Updated on: Wed, 10 April 2019 17:06]

Re: NHL Draft Lottery 2019 [message #735978 is a reply to message #735366 ]
Wed, 17 April 2019 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

People aren’t talking about it but there are some legitimate concerns about the Oilers’ draft lottery success. It might be time to admit that the dynasty has ended. We wasted Peter Chiarelli’s Oiler career which was arguably the best chance for us to continue drafting on top. People will say “oh what about The McDavid draft?” But that was really MacTavish that did the leg work there. Teams like the Devils keep winning and there we are drafting outside the top five again. It’s a frightening pattern.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: NHL Draft Lottery 2019 [message #735979 is a reply to message #735978 ]
Wed, 17 April 2019 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 17 April 2019 13:07

People aren’t talking about it but there are some legitimate concerns about the Oilers’ draft lottery success. It might be time to admit that the dynasty has ended. We wasted Peter Chiarelli’s Oiler career which was arguably the best chance for us to continue drafting on top. People will say “oh what about The McDavid draft?” But that was really MacTavish that did the leg work there. Teams like the Devils keep winning and there we are drafting outside the top five again. It’s a frightening pattern.

It's not Chiarelli's fault. Success in the draft lottery is cyclical. Truly no one is to blame.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: NHL Draft Lottery 2019 [message #735980 is a reply to message #735979 ]
Wed, 17 April 2019 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 17 April 2019 13:18

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 17 April 2019 13:07

It's not Chiarelli's fault. Success in the draft lottery is cyclical. Truly no one is to blame.

All you can do is laugh at how the past success is causing the current down cycle.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: NHL Draft Lottery 2019 [message #735989 is a reply to message #735366 ]
Wed, 17 April 2019 15:18 Go to previous message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

I guess I should prepare the "NHL Draft Lottery 2020" thread here soon.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:McDavid named a Ted Lindsay Award finalist
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #82)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca