This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733563]
Tue, 19 March 2019 20:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
St. Louis to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733565 is a reply to message #733563 ]
Tue, 19 March 2019 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

Aside from the absolute no show, was that 6th Blues goal not about 1.5ft offside?

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733568 is a reply to message #733563 ]
Tue, 19 March 2019 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

LOL.

After Hitch talked about how they needed two of three on this trip, and the Oilers get spanked in two out of three, do they finally stop talking and pretending they are making the playoffs?

This team is a mess. And the goaltending box is not checked, despite locking into Kostawin as the starter for the next three.

How does everyone feel about the Oilers going all in on Koskinen for the first half of McDavid's extension? Do we even see McDavid in an Oilers uniform for the last half of it?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733571 is a reply to message #733568 ]
Tue, 19 March 2019 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lew19  is currently offline Lew19

No Cups

Management submarined this team for years and years. McDavid and his agent should really sit down and discuss his future. Absolutely love the kid, we re blessed to have him. But let's be realistic here...we are ruining a generational talent by surrounding him with sub par talent. Please do this kid a favour. If you can't make this team competitive next season, trade him to someone who is. Enough of this horse shxt. I've been a die hard Oilers fan since the days of hearing names like Jeff Buekaboom, Vladimir Vujtek, so on. I am embarrassed to be an Oiler fan this season, and I am embarrassed for the players who try to show up. Cut Hitch lose, God himself couldn't change the way this team is....find a way to get Yzerman here to fix your shxt....and gut this loser 6 ring mentality and send them off to pasture. Wouldn't mind seeing the team owned by someone other then a rich drug dealer....

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733603 is a reply to message #733571 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Lew19 wrote on Tue, 19 March 2019 21:21

I am embarrassed to be an Oiler fan this season

What took you so long?

The team is doing the same things they have always done. The only difference is that it has now happened so often that people are (maybe?) starting to wake up to the reality.

Go back to 2003 and look at how the Comrie for Perry situation was handled. Nothing has changed since then because the guys making the decisions are the same now as they were then.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733575 is a reply to message #733568 ]
Tue, 19 March 2019 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 19 March 2019 20:49

LOL.

After Hitch talked about how they needed two of three on this trip, and the Oilers get spanked in two out of three, do they finally stop talking and pretending they are making the playoffs?

This team is a mess. And the goaltending box is not checked, despite locking into Kostawin as the starter for the next three.

How does everyone feel about the Oilers going all in on Koskinen for the first half of McDavid's extension? Do we even see McDavid in an Oilers uniform for the last half of it?

Don’t you mean Losskinen?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733577 is a reply to message #733575 ]
Tue, 19 March 2019 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 19 March 2019 21:44

LOL.

Home run.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733578 is a reply to message #733575 ]
Tue, 19 March 2019 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

LOL.

god

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733579 is a reply to message #733575 ]
Tue, 19 March 2019 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

LOL.

Ha. This board rules. I can't even claim Kostawin as my own, and Losskinen is fantastic. Thank you both.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733569 is a reply to message #733563 ]
Tue, 19 March 2019 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

-Quiet night from a couple of the Oilers who usual suspects that you can count on offense so not good.
-Not much for stops from koskinen, reverting back to preseason, thanks again Peter for that contract.
-Guys like Sek, Russell, and Benning made to look weak and small by STL forecheck and cycle. I'm not sure why Larsson is dressing lately given his play, other than a plug draws in....

Late arrival for goals from Nuge and Kass. MIA for the guys who are usually MIA.

Sorry, Gambardella, you're not an NHLer....but you're not alone in this bottom 6.

Let's just run this out, please...I'm hoping to get out early for once and work on my golf a bit this spring. And theres always the forever basement reno.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733573 is a reply to message #733569 ]
Tue, 19 March 2019 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 19 March 2019 21:18

-Quiet night from a couple of the Oilers who usual suspects that you can count on offense so not good.
-Not much for stops from koskinen, reverting back to preseason, thanks again Peter for that contract.
-Guys like Sek, Russell, and Benning made to look weak and small by STL forecheck and cycle. I'm not sure why Larsson is dressing lately given his play, other than a plug draws in....

Late arrival for goals from Nuge and Kass. MIA for the guys who are usually MIA.

Sorry, Gambardella, you're not an NHLer....but you're not alone in this bottom 6.

Let's just run this out, please...I'm hoping to get out early for once and work on my golf a bit this spring. And theres always the forever basement reno.

Truthfully need to turnover half of the “NHL 23” of this roster.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733572 is a reply to message #733563 ]
Tue, 19 March 2019 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Other than a few guys they pretty much mailed it in. Sad looking bunch when Batman and Robin are having an off night.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733585 is a reply to message #733572 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

overdue wrote on Tue, 19 March 2019 21:24

Other than a few guys they pretty much mailed it in. Sad looking bunch when Batman and Robin are having an off night.

They stayed in Vegas after the game there, then flew into a city where you cross the river into a magical place called Sauget with 24hr strip clubs.
Shocking no show.

~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733587 is a reply to message #733585 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Ales Cooper wrote on Tue, 19 March 2019 23:00

They stayed in Vegas after the game there, then flew into a city where you cross the river into a magical place called Sauget with 24hr strip clubs.
Shocking no show.

.... did you say ... 24 hr strip clubs? .....

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733588 is a reply to message #733587 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 20 March 2019 02:05

Shocking no show.

Sauget. Right across the river. The 4am shift might be missing a few teeth, but you can buy whatever you need while she does her thing.

~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733590 is a reply to message #733588 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

No Cups

Ales Cooper wrote on Wed, 20 March 2019 03:58

Shocking no show.

Sauget. Right across the river. The 4am shift might be missing a few teeth, but you can buy whatever you need while she does her thing.

Random facts that you learn here, more interesting then this team lately.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733594 is a reply to message #733590 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

McDavid97 wrote on Wed, 20 March 2019 08:08

Ales Cooper wrote on Wed, 20 March 2019 03:58

Shocking no show.

Random facts that you learn here, more interesting then this team lately.

I’m learning a small bit of what it would be like to be ruled by a self-interested monarchy. So that’s interesting.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733580 is a reply to message #733563 ]
Tue, 19 March 2019 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

That was a Fast Forward special. Gawd awful.
So few NHL players on this team.
Overall Team speed is AHL level.
Don't really want Chiasson back, there's a reason he was on PTO.
Larsson and Klefbom are looking worse each game. Incredibly Dopey. How does Both F-bomb and Larsson leave Taresenko behind them both by about 30 feet? That's like something you'd expect out a rookie call up. That wasn't the only play, its become routine.

And Koskinen .. what a mess.faint

Only about 6 players with NHL speed. Tragic.

[Updated on: Tue, 19 March 2019 22:34]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733592 is a reply to message #733580 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Pathetic, completely pathetic. Not a single player showed up. Not even McDavid. It's pretty hard for any team to win when your best players don't play well. It's physically impossible for the Oilers to even be in games when their best players don't play well. Too a man, truly pathetic effort.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733598 is a reply to message #733592 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve.kreys  is currently offline steve.kreys

No Cups

Everytime I see Koskinen play, I say to myself he is not an nhl goalie. Looks to be he used his size in the KHL. NHL is quicker and he needs ability and a better reaction time. I just do not see it

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733604 is a reply to message #733563 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

This team badly needs some more character defensive forwards (good on faceoffs ideally) and cycle stopping D.

I've seen this team win 2-1 before. Coulda happened tonight with more character.

[Updated on: Wed, 20 March 2019 09:28]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733609 is a reply to message #733604 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 20 March 2019 09:26

This team badly needs some more character defensive forwards (good on faceoffs ideally) and cycle stopping D.

I've seen this team win 2-1 before. Coulda happened tonight with more character.

More character is for sure the answer. What about...and this is pretty outside the box but hear me out here....a guy like..wait for it... Matt Hendricks!!? I've heard tell that he is good in the room to.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733619 is a reply to message #733609 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

I see a St. Louis team who realistically, would have our top pairing D men (Klef/Nurse and Larsson) pencilled in as their bottom pairing. That speaks volumes about this team. Don't get me wrong, I think Sekera and Benning are playing great in our bottom pair, Nurse has potential and Klef and Larsson would be a solid 2nd pairing on a lot of teams, but if you do not have the horses up front to help break pucks out and consistently take O-zone time, then your back end is going to suffer.

This is a vicious circle; we don't have the forwards to skate pucks out of our zone, sustain a forecheck or Ozone attack, and we don't have D men who are great at stopping the cycle, breaking off passes in our end, or transitioning the puck (either through passes or skating it), and that in turn impacts our goaltending when missed assignments happen from both D and forwards.

This team honest to god can turn the corner, but it's going to require getting rid of salary, making a trade for an impactful top pairing right sided D man, and getting competition in for cheap bottom 6 forward spots.

However, it pains me to think of a team that if they hadn't done anything in terms of trades, would mirror the Maple Leafs aside from goaltending. Honest to god, look at the lineups and I will include key signings and draft picks:

EDM

Hall - McDavid - ?Erikson Ek? (1st round pick from Reinhart trade)
Lucic - Draisatl - Eberle
Caggiula - RNH - JP
Khaira - Brodziak - Pitlick
Extra Malone

Klefbom - Schultz
Nurse - Russell
Sekera - Benning
Extra Gravel

Kostkinen
Brossoit (I know he left as UFA, but league minimum)

ROSTER SIZE: 22 CAP HIT: $79,911,167 CAP SPACE: (-$411,167)
and you need to sign 3 more guys to get up to a 25 man roster.

TOR

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
Moore - Petan - Brown

Rielly - Hainsey
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Dermott

Andersen
Sparks

ROSTER SIZE 25 CAP HIT: $75,514,726 CAP SPACE: $3,985,274

It's sickening to see this!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733632 is a reply to message #733619 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

mazankowski wrote on Wed, 20 March 2019 10:36

I see a St. Louis team who realistically, would have our top pairing D men (Klef/Nurse and Larsson) pencilled in as their bottom pairing. That speaks volumes about this team. Don't get me wrong, I think Sekera and Benning are playing great in our bottom pair, Nurse has potential and Klef and Larsson would be a solid 2nd pairing on a lot of teams, but if you do not have the horses up front to help break pucks out and consistently take O-zone time, then your back end is going to suffer.

This is a vicious circle; we don't have the forwards to skate pucks out of our zone, sustain a forecheck or Ozone attack, and we don't have D men who are great at stopping the cycle, breaking off passes in our end, or transitioning the puck (either through passes or skating it), and that in turn impacts our goaltending when missed assignments happen from both D and forwards.

This team honest to god can turn the corner, but it's going to require getting rid of salary, making a trade for an impactful top pairing right sided D man, and getting competition in for cheap bottom 6 forward spots.

However, it pains me to think of a team that if they hadn't done anything in terms of trades, would mirror the Maple Leafs aside from goaltending. Honest to god, look at the lineups and I will include key signings and draft picks:

EDM

Hall - McDavid - ?Erikson Ek? (1st round pick from Reinhart trade)
Lucic - Draisatl - Eberle
Caggiula - RNH - JP
Khaira - Brodziak - Pitlick
Extra Malone

Klefbom - Schultz
Nurse - Russell
Sekera - Benning
Extra Gravel

Kostkinen
Brossoit (I know he left as UFA, but league minimum)

ROSTER SIZE: 22 CAP HIT: $79,911,167 CAP SPACE: (-$411,167)
and you need to sign 3 more guys to get up to a 25 man roster.

TOR

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
Moore - Petan - Brown

Rielly - Hainsey
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Dermott

Andersen
Sparks

ROSTER SIZE 25 CAP HIT: $75,514,726 CAP SPACE: $3,985,274

It's sickening to see this!

Toronto won’t be like that for much longer

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733612 is a reply to message #733604 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I know you are being a little tongue in cheek but Yes they could use a center or 2 that can win a freaking faceoff. Their PK would get better. Every PP starts in your zone and if you can't win a faceoff, the other team immediately gets possession. I know winning faceoffs doesn't seem to mean as much to some in the stats community but in the same breath, they love puck possession and it's all about puck possession and zone time. So every time an Oilers center loses a draw, that line has to spend a good part of their shift trying to get the puck back. If you spend most of your shift chasing the puck, you aren't going to get into the other teams zone and you won't score.

So even though I know you aren't being very serious, there is merit to your comment because more than half the guys on the Oilers still can't figure out how to lift a stick or know that if you leave a guy wide open in front of your goal, bad things will happen.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733616 is a reply to message #733612 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 20 March 2019 10:03

Every PP starts in your zone and if you can't win a faceoff, the other team immediately gets possession. If you spend most of your shift chasing the puck, you aren't going to get into the other teams zone and you won't score.

Now, I’m not an expert and I tend to drink during Oilers games... but I thought it was PK’s that start in the defending zone while PP’s therefore start in the attacking zone. So if you’re on the PK, you’re starting in your zone.

Also. You don’t score, until you score.

Am I the only one that sees Seann William Scott in Zack Kassian?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733635 is a reply to message #733616 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 20 March 2019 10:31

Every PP starts in your zone and if you can't win a faceoff, the other team immediately gets possession. If you spend most of your shift chasing the puck, you aren't going to get into the other teams zone and you won't score.

Now, I’m not an expert and I tend to drink during Oilers games... but I thought it was PK’s that start in the defending zone while PP’s therefore start in the attacking zone. So if you’re on the PK, you’re starting in your zone.

I meant it as every PP against is in the Oilers zone. I know the rules, just poorly worded.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733637 is a reply to message #733635 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 14:09 Go to previous message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 20 March 2019 13:11

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 20 March 2019 10:31

I meant it as every PP against is in the Oilers zone. I know the rules, just poorly worded.

Ah, my bad for reading it wrong, I see what you meant!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733614 is a reply to message #733563 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilCanSam  is currently offline OilCanSam

No Cups

Go Oilers!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733615 is a reply to message #733614 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

OilCanSam wrote on Wed, 20 March 2019 10:06

Go Oilers!

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol rasta

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #73) [message #733617 is a reply to message #733614 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

OilCanSam wrote on Wed, 20 March 2019 10:06

Go Oilers!

https://media.giphy.com/media/6JPA2jUox3FEQ/giphy.gif

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Previous Topic:Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #74)
Next Topic:Oilers acquire goalie Hayden Hawkey
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca