This day on April 18
None

Happy Birthday To: spaz44, Formica, JDmassive, timothyparis12

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732590]
Thu, 07 March 2019 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Vancouver to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732591 is a reply to message #732590 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

WE'RE GOING STREAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732592 is a reply to message #732590 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

I’m usually the optimistic guy here but hated the last half of this game. Oilers got too cute, if this was anyone but Vancouver they would have been eaten alive.

Got to bury those empty netters, that’s 2 games in a row it should have been an easy EN but missed with time left.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732593 is a reply to message #732592 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 21:44

I’m usually the optimistic guy here but hated the last half of this game. Oilers got too cute, if this was anyone but Vancouver they would have been eaten alive.

Got to bury those empty netters, that’s 2 games in a row it should have been an easy EN but missed with time left.

This is nothing new, as the Oil are easily the worst EN team in the league.

Damnit, the plan is to Lose for Hughes! Stupid pride @#%%ing with the Oil's heads.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732594 is a reply to message #732593 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 21:45

Damnit, the plan is to Lose for Hughes! Stupid pride @#%%ing with the Oil's heads.

Back to back games with posts on the empty nets from our top two players is something else...

Only problem tonight is the other teams almost all won too. Blackhawks, Coyotes, Wild, Stars all win. We pushed the Canucks down, but we didn't make up any ground on the playoff spot.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732596 is a reply to message #732594 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 22:51

Ragnarok73 wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 21:45

Back to back games with posts on the empty nets from our top two players is something else...

Only problem tonight is the other teams almost all won too. Blackhawks, Coyotes, Wild, Stars all win. We pushed the Canucks down, but we didn't make up any ground on the playoff spot.

Heeeeeeeeey. We gained on Colorado!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732598 is a reply to message #732596 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 23:21

And McDavid gained ground on Kucherov too...although not on Kane, who also had two assists.

And Ovechkin remained up five goals on Draisaitl...that might be an insurmountable hill to climb with just 15 games left and Hitchcock separating 97 and 29...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732612 is a reply to message #732598 ]
Fri, 08 March 2019 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Is this whole Kassian playing well with McDavid just a mirage? The guy scored again. 4 goals in 4 games. Like I know McDavid will make ANY player look better but he's scoring some good goals. Last night he drives to the net hard, deflects in a McDavid feed. The previous game he one times a McDavid pass. The pass was decent but it was hoping a touch so you needed some skill to pick it up. The previous game he rips a Leon pass from a high danger scoring spot and puts it far side. It was a good shot. He's big, fast, makes some plays, has some skill, rocks guys when needed, mucks in the corners, creates some space for McDavid. Basically everything Lucic was supposed to do. I don't know if he can keep it up but right now, Nuge - McDavid- Kassian looks like a pretty freaking good line. You have the skilled, fast guy on one side that McDavid needs and the garbage man who can skate and play a bit on the other.

The other benefit is it allows the team to play Leon on his own line which the team desperately needs. I don't know what happened to him but something clicked in with Leon and he is realizing he can be a dominate player. He is playing on another level.

Another really good game for Koskinen. The first goal was just a dumb mistake goal as he didn't play it well at all but he got the win, made some BIG saves and you can't argue with a .946% for the game. Over his last 9 games, 6 wins, 1 loss, 2 OT losses. In that time, he was bad against the Leafs and had a .750, had a .870 against the Islanders but won and part of that was the Isles didn't get a lot of shots and he was decent. BUt other than those 2 games, his loses % was .921. Over his last 9 games, that's a .921%. That's pretty good. Hopefully that's a sign that he's going to be alright for next season.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732616 is a reply to message #732612 ]
Fri, 08 March 2019 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 08 March 2019 09:54

Is this whole Kassian playing well with McDavid just a mirage? The guy scored again. 4 goals in 4 games. Like I know McDavid will make ANY player look better but he's scoring some good goals. Last night he drives to the net hard, deflects in a McDavid feed. The previous game he one times a McDavid pass. The pass was decent but it was hoping a touch so you needed some skill to pick it up. The previous game he rips a Leon pass from a high danger scoring spot and puts it far side. It was a good shot. He's big, fast, makes some plays, has some skill, rocks guys when needed, mucks in the corners, creates some space for McDavid. Basically everything Lucic was supposed to do. I don't know if he can keep it up but right now, Nuge - McDavid- Kassian looks like a pretty freaking good line. You have the skilled, fast guy on one side that McDavid needs and the garbage man who can skate and play a bit on the other.

The other benefit is it allows the team to play Leon on his own line which the team desperately needs. I don't know what happened to him but something clicked in with Leon and he is realizing he can be a dominate player. He is playing on another level.

Another really good game for Koskinen. The first goal was just a dumb mistake goal as he didn't play it well at all but he got the win, made some BIG saves and you can't argue with a .946% for the game. Over his last 9 games, 6 wins, 1 loss, 2 OT losses. In that time, he was bad against the Leafs and had a .750, had a .870 against the Islanders but won and part of that was the Isles didn't get a lot of shots and he was decent. BUt other than those 2 games, his loses % was .921. Over his last 9 games, that's a .921%. That's pretty good. Hopefully that's a sign that he's going to be alright for next season.

Love seeing this Kassian emergence of late. He's got wheels, he does have skill and hockey smarts, goes to the dirty areas, drives the net and perhaps most importantly he is showing he understands HOW to play with Connor McDavid. It shouldn't come as too big a surprise though, we saw a quote/unquote grinder, in Maroon, perform well with McDavid. An added bonus, if/when things get tough, Kassian can keep guys from taking liberties on McDavid.

By all accounts, Zack and Patty were good pals when Maroon was here, may still be. Is it beyond reasonable to think that Kass spoke with Maroon to find out what he did to be successful playing on a line with Connor?

Having Leon centre his own line is huge. Gagner and Chiasson, for now, aren't the worst options to have with him either. They make a decent second line.

Another small sample size with Koski, but perhaps he's not much different from Talbot in that we were often told (by TMac) that when Talbot plays frequently Talbot is on his game. Maybe that's the secret for Koskinen as well? I dunno. But he has looked better over this last stretch than he did in January/early Feb. Most nights, he is giving the team an opportunity to win.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732625 is a reply to message #732616 ]
Fri, 08 March 2019 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 08 March 2019 09:37

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 08 March 2019 09:54

Love seeing this Kassian emergence of late. He's got wheels, he does have skill and hockey smarts, goes to the dirty areas, drives the net and perhaps most importantly he is showing he understands HOW to play with Connor McDavid. It shouldn't come as too big a surprise though, we saw a quote/unquote grinder, in Maroon, perform well with McDavid. An added bonus, if/when things get tough, Kassian can keep guys from taking liberties on McDavid.

By all accounts, Zack and Patty were good pals when Maroon was here, may still be. Is it beyond reasonable to think that Kass spoke with Maroon to find out what he did to be successful playing on a line with Connor?

Having Leon centre his own line is huge. Gagner and Chiasson, for now, aren't the worst options to have with him either. They make a decent second line.

Another small sample size with Koski, but perhaps he's not much different from Talbot in that we were often told (by TMac) that when Talbot plays frequently Talbot is on his game. Maybe that's the secret for Koskinen as well? I dunno. But he has looked better over this last stretch than he did in January/early Feb. Most nights, he is giving the team an opportunity to win.

As long as Chiasson doesn't want a ridiculous contract, I would resign him. Ideally he's on your 3rd line and you have someone else on Leon's wing. I do not mind Gagner at all. Smart player.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732634 is a reply to message #732625 ]
Fri, 08 March 2019 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

It's getting better. Looking at the 50/50 odds on sportsclubstats we only need a 10-3-1 record to have a 50% shot at the wild card. A .750 winning percentage. It's getting a little less unlikely.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732654 is a reply to message #732634 ]
Fri, 08 March 2019 20:21 Go to previous message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Fri, 08 March 2019 12:35

It's getting better. Looking at the 50/50 odds on sportsclubstats we only need a 10-3-1 record to have a 50% shot at the wild card. A .750 winning percentage. It's getting a little less unlikely.

I think thats about right. 11-4 would give them a decent chance to make it, even at 10-5 it's a stretch.

Minnesota loses tonight to move back to 5 games over .500. Oilers are right on .500. 2.5 Games back is not a huge mountain to climb in a month but Yotes and Avs still in the way.

Tomorrow night will might be the toughest game left. They don't do well vs the Leafs. If they can find a way, it really makes the playoffs a lot more of a possibility.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732635 is a reply to message #732625 ]
Fri, 08 March 2019 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 08 March 2019 09:16

I'm really curious what happened with Gagner in Vancouver. I think their expectations were too high and he didn't live up to them, but he's clearly an NHL calibre player.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732638 is a reply to message #732635 ]
Fri, 08 March 2019 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 08 March 2019 13:05

I'm really curious what happened with Gagner in Vancouver. I think their expectations were too high and he didn't live up to them, but he's clearly an NHL calibre player.

I agree. Yes his skating isn't the best and if he is at center, I think it hurts him even more but on the wing, the guy can make plays and has good hands. First shift of the game, that looked like a set play. Puck gets fired in, goes off the end boards, Gagner races in and gets off a good, hard shot and the goalie had to make a good save. That's a smart play. Chiasson's goal. He forechecked hard and he's never been the type to shy away from contact. For a short guy, he's stocky at 200, made the hit, stole the puck, fired out a good pass. Another good play.

I wish he was making half as much money but at the same time, 5 pts in 10 games. Over 82 games, that's a 41 point pace. If he could at all keep that up or get close to that next season, that's not that bad. He will be a UFA. He's going to be 30 in August so he should have lots of hockey left in him. He's been in the AHL for most of the year and if you are a guy who thinks you have lots of hockey left in you and you want to be in the NHL, you have to think spending almost a whole year in the AHL would make you hungry. If you look at how he reacts when he scores of even when is linemate scores, the guy is fired up. He looks like a guy who's excited to be in the NHL again and hungry to stay. 2 seasons ago, he had a 18 goal, 50 pt year in Columbus after spending the previous year playing part of the year in the minors for the Flyers. I don't know if he's got that in him but could a hungry guy, looking for another contract give the Oilers 3/4 of that next year? Maybe.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732640 is a reply to message #732635 ]
Fri, 08 March 2019 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 08 March 2019 13:05

He scored 31 points for them in 74 games last year. He was always an NHL player, but I think they wanted to give more time to younger guys this year. It was a rebuilding year (that Pettersson has screwed up for them!)

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732618 is a reply to message #732612 ]
Fri, 08 March 2019 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Kassian is a good fit for McDavid because he has some skill and can also be a physical presence. Good for him, taking advantage of the opportunity. Nice to see them winning but unless somebody above them goes on a skid they are too far out at this point. Calgary shut out by Arizona, and Tampa shut out by Minnesota? Makes you wonder. Maybe these top teams are resting players already ? Koski has been good enough to leave the winning and losing up to the rest of the team. That's all you can ask, no goal tender can stop them all on most nights. Can't believe they almost blew that big lead again. That taking you're foot off the gas and getting sloppy will come back to bite you. Lots of promise for next season if nothing else.

[Updated on: Fri, 08 March 2019 13:33]

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732615 is a reply to message #732598 ]
Fri, 08 March 2019 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 08 March 2019 00:30

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 23:21

And McDavid gained ground on Kucherov too...although not on Kane, who also had two assists.

And Ovechkin remained up five goals on Draisaitl...that might be an insurmountable hill to climb with just 15 games left and Hitchcock separating 97 and 29...

They'll both be hard pressed to pass either guy and finish as the Art Ross/Rocket winner respectively, even if paired together.

Hope they make it interesting though! Especially because if they can make those races close, then our playoff hopes and perhaps more importantly, ORPP hopes, stay alive!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Previous Topic:Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #68)
Next Topic:Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca