This day on April 25
None

Happy Birthday To: Scott, kayla_foley

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi [message #732056 is a reply to message #730694 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Hip surgery next week, 2nd opinion agrees it's needed.

https://oilersnation.com/2019/02/28/jesse-puljujarvi-out-for -the-season-for-edmonton-oilers/

Jim Matheson @NHLbyMatty
Puljujarvi's hip problem is a body structure issue. Not an injury.

Wonder if he has been struggling with skating because of some hip issue born out of just growth and physically maturing. Unusual stuff. Hopefully Pulju can get fixed up.

Gregor suggested a bone spur.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 February 2019 14:17]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi [message #732062 is a reply to message #732056 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 13:10

https://oilersnation.com/2019/02/28/jesse-puljujarvi-out-for -the-season-for-edmonton-oilers/

Jim Matheson @NHLbyMatty

Wonder if he has been struggling with skating because of some hip issue born out of just growth and physically maturing. Unusual stuff. Hopefully Pulju can get fixed up.

That's a lame excuse

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi [message #732063 is a reply to message #732062 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 14:38

Jim Matheson @NHLbyMatty

That's a lame excuse

If it is a bone spur, I think they can take many forms. Many ways that bones can be messed up and rubbing against eachother or in joints. If he was in pain just from skating, I would think it's a pretty good excuse :)

Guess we will eventually see if it makes any difference for him.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi [message #732064 is a reply to message #732063 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 14:41

Jim Matheson @NHLbyMatty

That's a lame excuse

If it is a bone spur, I think they can take many forms. Many ways that bones can be messed up and rubbing against eachother or in joints. If he was in pain just from skating, I would think it's a pretty good excuse :)

Like so many other Oiler issues, in a vacuum this isn’t a big deal. Added to al of the other poor decisions and poorly developed prospects it’s just one more reason everyone needs to be fired.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi [message #732065 is a reply to message #732063 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Jim Matheson @NHLbyMatty

That's a lame excuse

Quick little Google search says that a hip bone spur can also cause pain and problems in the knee. I wonder if this is something that has been a problem for a while.

And who knows what the outcome will be. Has it been bugging him and as soon as it is fixed, he becomes a rejuvenated and renewed player who tears up the league being healthy? Does he skate better but still isn't able to piece it together? Or is it something chronic that keeps recurring and jeopardizes the length and quality of his career? I truly have no idea, but it sounds like it has been an issue for a while potentially.

Re: Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi [message #732067 is a reply to message #732065 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 14:54

Jim Matheson @NHLbyMatty

That's a lame excuse

Quick little Google search says that a hip bone spur can also cause pain and problems in the knee. I wonder if this is something that has been a problem for a while.

And who knows what the outcome will be. Has it been bugging him and as soon as it is fixed, he becomes a rejuvenated and renewed player who tears up the league being healthy? Does he skate better but still isn't able to piece it together? Or is it something chronic that keeps recurring and jeopardizes the length and quality of his career? I truly have no idea, but it sounds like it has been an issue for a while potentially.

Dustin Nielson @nielsonTSN1260
It was told to me a few months ago that one of the issues with Jesse is that he would come to the rink and tell people his legs weren’t feeling good that day. I didn’t think much of it at the time...now it makes sense.

Another consequence of the language barrier? Geez, this kid may have been dealing with this for some time with no good soundboard to actually discuss with trainers what was going on.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi [message #732073 is a reply to message #732056 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Ok well Murphy has infected the Oilers to the core. What can go wrong will go wrong.

Highly touted prospect falls into our lap? Body structure issue.

Is this God asking for payback on the lucky McDavid lottery win? Karma? Is our water really that toxic?

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi [message #732109 is a reply to message #730694 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

From the latest 31 Thoughts:

Quote:

11. There was some Zack Kassian action in Edmonton. Nashville apparently checked in before acquiring Brian Boyle. The Oilers wanted to keep him.

12. Edmonton announced Thursday that Jesse Puljujarvi is out for the season due to upcoming hip surgery. That explains why GM Keith Gretzky said it was much more likely the winger be traded during the summer as opposed to the deadline. It will be interesting to see, though, if the Oilers try to package him with a contract they wish to move.

Kassian is on pace for another season of around 23-24 points. That's with a late surge and a fair bit of top-6 ice time. He's scoring like a 4th liner, and getting paid like a good 3rd liner. The Oilers are tight to the cap and could use some relief from the bad contracts they've signed. Worth noting, Boyle garnered a 2nd round pick from Nashville.

To be fair to the team, the wingers just flat out suck. Kassian is likely to finish as the 5th highest scoring forward on the team, so maybe the Oilers cannot afford to part with him, overpaid as he is.

As for the second point, Keith Gretzky is saying that the team is likely to trade a 20-year old winger in the summer?!!?!? What the hell?!? If they were really going to trade Puljujarvi, does tipping our hand make any sense at all? And do they really believe that trading him after a down season where the whole team sucked and he apparently played all year hurt is going to get them anything but rock bottom value for him?

Just more Oilers idiocy. And that's without me even getting in to Kretzky signalling that he's going to be here to make trades in the summer...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi [message #732320 is a reply to message #730694 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Quote:

John Shannon
@JSportsnet

Jesse Puljujarvi had his hip surgery...Both hips...In NYC today.

Surgery on both hips...I wonder if we'll hear how serious this is, and what the timeline might be for his return? It sounds bad, but I suppose there are minor surgeries for anything.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi [message #732321 is a reply to message #732320 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 04 March 2019 18:17

Quote:

John Shannon
@JSportsnet

Surgery on both hips...I wonder if we'll hear how serious this is, and what the timeline might be for his return? It sounds bad, but I suppose there are minor surgeries for anything.

https://www.is.fi/nhl/art-2000006023005.html

Based on this Pulju says something like he has "old man hips". Sounds...odd, but I guess he figures he can be in good shape for next season. Must have just had some unlucky thing happening to him with his body development as he grew.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi [message #732322 is a reply to message #732321 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 04 March 2019 19:20

Quote:

John Shannon
@JSportsnet

Based on this Pulju says something like he has "old man hips". Sounds...odd, but I guess he figures he can be in good shape for next season. Must have just had some unlucky thing happening to him with his body development as he grew.

My grandma has had surgery on both hips before... she’s uses a walker now, the Oiler equivalent of being on a line with Brodziak, so I’m sure Puljujärvi will be fine next year, just like my grandma.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi [message #732323 is a reply to message #732322 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 04 March 2019 18:32

Quote:

John Shannon
@JSportsnet

My grandma has had surgery on both hips before... she’s uses a walker now, the Oiler equivalent of being on a line with Brodziak, so I’m sure Puljujärvi will be fine next year, just like my grandma.

Wonder what his offer sheets are gonna look like.

And for us, does a player saying he has old man hips help us negotiate?

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi [message #732325 is a reply to message #732323 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 04 March 2019 19:35

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 04 March 2019 18:32

Quote:

John Shannon
@JSportsnet

Wonder what his offer sheets are gonna look like.

And for us, does a player saying he has old man hips help us negotiate?

How do you say, “I get new hips, I good” in Fin?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi [message #732396 is a reply to message #730694 ]
Tue, 05 March 2019 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

The diagnosis is in!

Jason Gregor @JasonGregor
Jesse Puljujarvi had a Femoroacetabular Impingement (FAI) and had surgery on it. https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/femoroace tabular-impingement … From the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. "Exercise does not cause FAI." Not sure I agree with notion incorrect training was his issue.

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/femoroace tabular-impingement

Quote:

In FAI, bone overgrowth — called bone spurs — develop around the femoral head and/or along the acetabulum. This extra bone causes abnormal contact between the hip bones, and prevents them from moving smoothly during activity. Over time, this can result in tears of the labrum and breakdown of articular cartilage (osteoarthritis).

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi [message #732399 is a reply to message #732396 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 05 March 2019 22:20

The diagnosis is in!

Jason Gregor @JasonGregor
Jesse Puljujarvi had a Femoroacetabular Impingement (FAI) and had surgery on it. https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/femoroace tabular-impingement … From the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. "Exercise does not cause FAI." Not sure I agree with notion incorrect training was his issue.

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/femoroace tabular-impingement

Quote:

In FAI, bone overgrowth — called bone spurs — develop around the femoral head and/or along the acetabulum. This extra bone causes abnormal contact between the hip bones, and prevents them from moving smoothly during activity. Over time, this can result in tears of the labrum and breakdown of articular cartilage (osteoarthritis).

Well that page was more informative than "old man hips".

I wonder if he'll be damaged goods forever like Whitney.
Quote:

Long-Term Outcomes
Surgery can successfully reduce symptoms caused by impingement. Correcting the impingement can prevent future damage to the hip joint. However, not all of the damage can be completely fixed by surgery, especially if treatment has been put off and the damage is severe. It is possible that more problems may develop in the future.

While there is a small chance that surgery might not help, it is currently the best way to treat painful FAI.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi [message #732404 is a reply to message #732399 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

This sort of thing only happens to the Oilers. Think about all the weird injuries that have happened over the years.
- Nuge in his rookie year trips on his stick blows out a shoulder.
- I think it was Gagner the first time around who got his wrist or arm severely cut by his own teammate on a freaking line change when he was jumping the boards.
- Roloson blows out his knee crushing the Oilers cup shot because his dman pushed his man the wrong way.
- Hall gets his head sliced open in warm up because he tripped.
- McDavid breaks his collar bone on a pretty innocent play racing for a puck his first year. If he takes a slightly different angle or does any of 100 things slightly different, it probably doesn't happen.
- Klefbom gets a staff infection in his ankle somehow.
- Sekera after coming back from a major knee injury, blows out his achilies training.

I know there is more, I just can't think of them right now.

Now JP has some bone overgrowth. Not an injury but something he was born with that you wouldn't detect or test for unless you were looking specifically for it.

The Oilers kick themselves in the nuts with some stupid decisions, the last thing they need is just flat out bad luck giving them another shot.

Re: Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi [message #732515 is a reply to message #730694 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jesse back to work after surgery

https://twitter.com/OilersNation/status/1103727034365140992

Dang it, please do something good next year Pulju. For us I mean.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi [message #732516 is a reply to message #732515 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 14:26

Riding a bike 3 days after surgery? Is it just me or is that pretty impressive!? Also, dude looks thin. Like, someone get him on a meat and potato diet thin.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi [message #732526 is a reply to message #732516 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 14:40

Riding a bike 3 days after surgery? Is it just me or is that pretty impressive!? Also, dude looks thin. Like, someone get him on a meat and potato diet thin.

I noticed that too. He is still just a kid growing into that lanky frame but man his legs are skinny.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi [message #732531 is a reply to message #732516 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 13:40

My bro is a Physio and they don't waste much time getting you up and doing things with a lot of surgeries.

I do agree with you on how skinny he looks. I guess at 6'4 and only 201 lbs, he's not going to look that thick. Maybe it's just the angle but you'd think a pro athlete who's sport involves a lot of leg work would have quads like tree trunks. They sure look skinny.

Re: Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi [message #732545 is a reply to message #732531 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 16:45

My bro is a Physio and they don't waste much time getting you up and doing things with a lot of surgeries.

I do agree with you on how skinny he looks. I guess at 6'4 and only 201 lbs, he's not going to look that thick. Maybe it's just the angle but you'd think a pro athlete who's sport involves a lot of leg work would have quads like tree trunks. They sure look skinny.

I guess it makes sense to get at it ASAP. Just seems quick to me (the layman).

I suppose his height could create an illusion to make him look skinnier that he is. I’m not expecting every pro athlete to have Saquads (trademark pending), but to be a pro athlete in a sport that physically demanding on your legs I’d expect more than spaghettini. Though again he is only 20, guess I should cut him some slack. He’ll physically mature soon enough.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi [message #732589 is a reply to message #732545 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 21:26 Go to previous message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 17:17

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 16:45

I guess it makes sense to get at it ASAP. Just seems quick to me (the layman).

I suppose his height could create an illusion to make him look skinnier that he is. I’m not expecting every pro athlete to have Saquads (trademark pending), but to be a pro athlete in a sport that physically demanding on your legs I’d expect more than spaghettini. Though again he is only 20, guess I should cut him some slack. He’ll physically mature soon enough.

I think it’s because he’s got such a big pumpkin, people think he would be big boned under that equipment.

I agree. He is only 20 with not enough meat on the tall frame yet.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Oilers open to trading Puljujarvi [message #732517 is a reply to message #732515 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

There sure seemed to be a disconnect between the player and the team. I hope the new GM can rectify that. It can easily be done. I am still concerned with what JP will be though.

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67)
Next Topic:GDT: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca