This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732205]
Sat, 02 March 2019 13:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Columbus to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732206 is a reply to message #732205 ]
Sat, 02 March 2019 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Solid game by the whole team. Was just waiting for the wheels to start wobbling but they never did. Koski with a well deserved shut out!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732212 is a reply to message #732206 ]
Sat, 02 March 2019 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

overdue wrote on Sat, 02 March 2019 13:34

Koski with a well deserved shut out!

yes indeed. Not a whole lot of spectacular saves considering the firepower the Blue Jackets have, but great positioning and rebound control. The Defense and Goaltending were on the same page today.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732213 is a reply to message #732212 ]
Sat, 02 March 2019 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Whilst not being spectacular that was a whole team performance, one that if I didn't know better would instill some confidence in the said team. As impressive as they were in that second period, I was equally as impressed by the third for the way they managed the game, without busting a gut to keep them at bay or trying to run up a basketball score. They'll have come out of that period with something in the tank in prep for Monday's game.

The 3 stars were obvious, but both Lucic and Kasssian really did well today, they take a lot of heat off the fans, so it's only right to acknowledge better performances from them.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732215 is a reply to message #732212 ]
Sat, 02 March 2019 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Leon has 40 goals. The kid is hot (not in a Chia sexy kind of way, just in a finding-his-way-to-the-net kind of way). I think the few detractors he has can get off his case now. He's pulling his weight.

I swear I saw a 10 ton monkey getting off his back when Chiasson scored that goal. Maybe that will give him a healthy dose of confidence.

Three points and +4 for McDavid. A long shot, but that Art Ross Trophy isn't out of his grasp yet.

Lots of guys had quiet games (Brodziak, Gagner, Reider, Cave, Rattie, even Nugent-Hopkins) Not saying that like they were just passengers. More like they hustled and outworked the Blue Jackets and did what had to be done without drawing attention to themselves.

Kassian is probably overpaid and suited to playing on the third or fourth line and providing a physical presence, but he does show flashes of skill.

Have to be happy for a guy like Josh Currie. No idea how long his NHL career will last, but I hope he gets more than a cup of coffee in The Show. The guy works his tail off.

McPoints, a smattering of secondary scoring, goaltending and defense on the same page, 60 minutes of effort from everyone. Maybe a regular theme next season?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732268 is a reply to message #732215 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sat, 02 March 2019 14:16

Leon has 40 goals. The kid is hot (not in a Chia sexy kind of way, just in a finding-his-way-to-the-net kind of way). I think the few detractors he has can get off his case now. He's pulling his weight.

I swear I saw a 10 ton monkey getting off his back when Chiasson scored that goal. Maybe that will give him a healthy dose of confidence.

Three points and +4 for McDavid. A long shot, but that Art Ross Trophy isn't out of his grasp yet.

Lots of guys had quiet games (Brodziak, Gagner, Reider, Cave, Rattie, even Nugent-Hopkins) Not saying that like they were just passengers. More like they hustled and outworked the Blue Jackets and did what had to be done without drawing attention to themselves.

Kassian is probably overpaid and suited to playing on the third or fourth line and providing a physical presence, but he does show flashes of skill.

Have to be happy for a guy like Josh Currie. No idea how long his NHL career will last, but I hope he gets more than a cup of coffee in The Show. The guy works his tail off.

McPoints, a smattering of secondary scoring, goaltending and defense on the same page, 60 minutes of effort from everyone. Maybe a regular theme next season?

Unfortunately for Leon there will be a segments of fans who will think he's lazy and overpaid no matter what he does. I always want all players to make less but when he signed his contract, I never thought it was that bad. Given what he has done and mostly because of the contracts that have been signed since his, his contract gets better by the day in my opinion.

When it comes to Kassian, I do not know what to think about him. I like him as a player, I just thought he was making too much money for what I thought was a 4th liner. But he's scoring goals and if he keeps scoring like a 3rd liner, then he's fine. I just do not know if he's a 3rd liner and can keep this going if he is on a 3rd line or is this is just a heater while playing with good players. His goal last game was a good goal on his part but it wasn't something that if he was on a 3rd line he couldn't duplicate. It wasn't like Leon's pass was this unbelievable, only 5 guys in the league can do pass. Kassian went to an open space, there was room, Leon found him and hit him on the tape.

When it comes to Currie, I am not expecting this guy to fill the net and rack up a ton of points but if he could become a solid bottom 6 contributing forward making very little money that your team developed in the AHL, that would be perfect. Other teams have guys like him. I look at Yanni Gourde from Tampa. He worked is way up from the ECHL, then the AHL, now he is a pretty good NHLer. It took him a long time but he made it. Not saying Currie will be on his level but guys that start out like Currie can make it and make impacts on your team.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732207 is a reply to message #732205 ]
Sat, 02 March 2019 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Oilers loving the Saturday morning BJs

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732221 is a reply to message #732207 ]
Sat, 02 March 2019 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 02 March 2019 12:36

Post of the day! You deserve a prize for that one mang!

You win...a Superman cape! Lois Lane and real BJ are up to you (what am I a pimp?!), but this may help you out.
https://images.halloweencostumes.com/products/30441/1-2/adult-deluxe-superman-cape.jpg

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732224 is a reply to message #732221 ]
Sat, 02 March 2019 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Xombie wrote on Sat, 02 March 2019 17:15

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 02 March 2019 12:36

Post of the day! You deserve a prize for that one mang!

You win...a Superman cape! Lois Lane and real BJ are up to you (what am I a pimp?!), but this may help you out.
https://images.halloweencostumes.com/products/30441/1-2/adult-deluxe-superman-cape.jpg

Perhaps his prize was the aforementioned...

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732208 is a reply to message #732205 ]
Sat, 02 March 2019 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Woah. What... didn’t watch, the bot has the score reversed, yeah?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732209 is a reply to message #732205 ]
Sat, 02 March 2019 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

This team wants to draft 8th overall and won’t take no for an answer

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732214 is a reply to message #732205 ]
Sat, 02 March 2019 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

According to the logic that beating Ottawa the other night resulted in Boucher being fired, (
final straw,beat by as inferior a team as Edmonton ) Tortorella must be pooping cubes right about now.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732217 is a reply to message #732214 ]
Sat, 02 March 2019 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Kassian quietly putting up a career year. Glad we kept him in lieu of a 5th round draft pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732219 is a reply to message #732217 ]
Sat, 02 March 2019 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Huge games by Klef, Drai & McDavid. Happy for Koskinen to get the S/O.

REALLY liking what I'm seeing from Currie too. Would be nice for him to get a chance on that first line, though Kassian is surprising me. That was a heck of a snipe on his goal. 10 goals now for the big fella?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732216 is a reply to message #732205 ]
Sat, 02 March 2019 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

Haven't watched a game in months. Wouldn't dare. Still loosely following the team through OilFans and TSN 1260, both of which I visit/listen to purely out of habit. Just wanted to say Dean Millard is a bad radio host. Legitimately dumb. Of course, I feel somewhat bad stating this since I am a faceless person on the internet and I generally don't like to hurl jabs at people anonymously, but seriously, the station has to do better than him. He's just not good...

Also, why is this team winning games. They need to be losing!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732220 is a reply to message #732205 ]
Sat, 02 March 2019 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

If someone told you you would get 40 goals between Rieder and Drai 65 games in, I think most of us would be pretty happy. German power!

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732223 is a reply to message #732220 ]
Sat, 02 March 2019 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 02 March 2019 16:58

If someone told you you would get 40 goals between Rieder and Drai 65 games in, I think most of us would be pretty happy. German power!

... until you tell me the break down between the two! Drai may just need Toby Rieder if we’re going to see a German score 50 for the first time ever in the NHL.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732225 is a reply to message #732223 ]
Sat, 02 March 2019 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 02 March 2019 16:58

... until you tell me the break down between the two! Drai may just need Toby Rieder if we’re going to see a German score 50 for the first time ever in the NHL.

Don't get what you mean.

Here is the breakdown among guys that played for the Oil this year:

2 Germans = 40 goals = 20 goals per German
34 non-Germans = 142 = 4 goals per non-German

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732227 is a reply to message #732225 ]
Sat, 02 March 2019 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Maybe the Oilers should be looking at potential players from the German leagues for next season ! It only stands to reason.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732228 is a reply to message #732227 ]
Sat, 02 March 2019 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

So the Oil pick now to try and go on a streak? Sigh, they're only going to @%$@ up their draft position.... icon_frown

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732230 is a reply to message #732225 ]
Sat, 02 March 2019 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 02 March 2019 18:35

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 02 March 2019 16:58

Don't get what you mean.

Here is the breakdown among guys that played for the Oil this year:

2 Germans = 40 goals = 20 goals per German
34 non-Germans = 142 = 4 goals per non-German

If only it worked like hey? Toby Rieder would make a few dollars over $2M next year if he hit the 20 goal mark.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732232 is a reply to message #732205 ]
Sat, 02 March 2019 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

MOGA!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732274 is a reply to message #732205 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

I guess this is what the alt-Oilers looked like. Solid game by everyone.

Sekera continues to amaze me of how solid he has been.. Could I have been wrong about him?

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732289 is a reply to message #732274 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Considering how good he was at last years WC, I have been puzzled as to the attitude toward him this season.

As for you, well, "if you have to ask the question ... " fishing

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65) [message #732292 is a reply to message #732274 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 14:02 Go to previous message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 04 March 2019 10:59

I guess this is what the alt-Oilers looked like. Solid game by everyone.

Sekera continues to amaze me of how solid he has been.. Could I have been wrong about him?

Wrong? A lot of us have been considering I have also seen him as solid so far.

As far as if that opinion is the right one to have BEFORE seeing him on the ice I think preparing for the worst should always be the proper plan.

For years the Oilers have planned for career seasons from players, bounce back at the highest possible level from others, recovery from injury to be ahead of timeline and back to original form for the rest.
Each year it proves to be a losing formula.

If the Oilers planned for the worst more often. Or at least had a marginal backup plan if every thing doesnt go their way they would not be looking at the playoffs as a wish or an anomaly but a likely result.

Of all the things I hate about how the team has been run for 12 years the "everything will be just fine" attitude is the my biggest pet peeve.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #66)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca