This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #731978]
Wed, 27 February 2019 19:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Toronto to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #731981 is a reply to message #731978 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

https://deadorkicking.com/wp-content/uploads/featured-img/j/jiri-dopita-300x405.jpg

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #731983 is a reply to message #731978 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Tied in shots, double the hits, more blocks, slightly more giveaways.

The non-goal stats say the Oilers deserved more.

We really do need an answer to 5 penalties for and 2 against. Always goes this way. Are we goons? why do we get the short end every night?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #732010 is a reply to message #731983 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 18:50

Tied in shots, double the hits, more blocks, slightly more giveaways.

The non-goal stats say the Oilers deserved more.

We really do need an answer to 5 penalties for and 2 against. Always goes this way. Are we goons? why do we get the short end every night?

Whether its # of PK's, # of PP's, no calls on McD, always getting the max suspension length, pretty clear by now, success in Edmonton is not viewed favorably by NHL Corp.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #731984 is a reply to message #731978 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Okay, if we buy out Lucic, Russell, Koskinen, Manning and Hitchcock how do we look against the cap?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #731986 is a reply to message #731984 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 19:57

Okay, if we buy out Lucic, Russell, Koskinen, Manning and Hitchcock how do we look against the cap?

Bad, because buyouts are for terrible GMs, just look at the 2 guys we are paying now, both wildly bad decisions.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #731988 is a reply to message #731986 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 20:01

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 19:57

Bad, because buyouts are for terrible GMs, just look at the 2 guys we are paying now, both wildly bad decisions.

Maybe Chiarelli just didn’t embrace buying out enough as a strategy.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #731985 is a reply to message #731978 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Completely unexpected result

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #731987 is a reply to message #731978 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I blame the OEG for this loss.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #731989 is a reply to message #731978 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

New theory. The team is rudderless without a firm idea of who is steering the ship. Keith needs the interim tag gone so that he can start fixing this mess.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #731990 is a reply to message #731989 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

"Don’t watch!" was a text I got from a friend who was watching. Turns out it was the best advice I received today.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #731991 is a reply to message #731978 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Remember how this team used to play decent against good teams, and then just totally lay eggs against bad ones? And we always used to feel like if only this team could put the effort they do against good teams against bad ones, we could maybe accomplish something.

Now, they just consistently play like trash against everyone and depend on 2 or 3 players to do everything.

It's friggin amazing how consistently bad this team is now. THere is literally nothing to grab onto anymore for any fan that has paid attention. Only guys that have only been here a few years like Bobby Nicks thing there is some hidden potential.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #731992 is a reply to message #731991 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 21:33

Remember how this team used to play decent against good teams, and then just totally lay eggs against bad ones? And we always used to feel like if only this team could put the effort they do against good teams against bad ones, we could maybe accomplish something.

Now, they just consistently play like trash against everyone and depend on 2 or 3 players to do everything.

It's friggin amazing how consistently bad this team is now. THere is literally nothing to grab onto anymore for any fan that has paid attention. Only guys that have only been here a few years like Bobby Nicks thing there is some hidden potential.

It's almost like they went in thinking "Connor is back... we can coast again while he does his thing".

Sigh. Sigh. SIIIGH! Whatever... ORPP was a good thought.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #731993 is a reply to message #731991 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/team/coaches-management

I don't know if there is nothing to hold onto. Duane Sutter and Bill Scott don't get the attention guys like Bob Nicholson, Scott Howson, Craig MacTavish, Kevin Lowe, etc. do, but I'm sure they do their part to make the Edmonton Oilers what they are, and should get more attention for their contributions.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #731994 is a reply to message #731993 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 21:23

I don't know if there is nothing to hold onto. Duane Sutter and Bill Scott don't get the attention guys like Bob Nicholson, Scott Howson, Craig MacTavish, Kevin Lowe, etc. do, but I'm sure they do their part to make the Edmonton Oilers what they are, and should get more attention for their contributions.

I love how Manny's picture is in some random hallway while everyone else gets a pro shot. Poor Manny, banished by the Saskatchewan boys from day 1.

edit: lol, that picture is actually taken from somewhere else. Wasn't even taken by the Oilers org:

http://www.independentsportsnews.com/2018/03/22/manny-viveir os-named-whls-eastern-conference-coach-year/

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #731995 is a reply to message #731993 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Bill Scott

I would say the guy in charge of the cap should probably be one of the first out the door.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #731996 is a reply to message #731995 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 21:38

Bill Scott

I would say the guy in charge of the cap should probably be one of the first out the door.

But...his magic McDavid socks...

What would the responsibility of the cap guy actually be? Just to tell the GM what he can and can't do?

Chia seems to have been pretty consistent from boston to here, being careless with his cap usage. Scott may have actually game him some good advice to allow him to make the stupid Manning and Petrovic acquisitions, knowing he can pull them off as long as he sheds X amount of salary before Sek comes back, and the plan was already to trade Talbot.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #731999 is a reply to message #731996 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 21:46

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 21:38

Bill Scott

But...his magic McDavid socks...

What would the responsibility of the cap guy actually be? Just to tell the GM what he can and can't do?

Chia seems to have been pretty consistent from boston to here, being careless with his cap usage. Scott may have actually game him some good advice to allow him to make the stupid Manning and Petrovic acquisitions, knowing he can pull them off as long as he sheds X amount of salary before Sek comes back, and the plan was already to trade Talbot.

I assume Scott is the only one who knows how to turn on the calculator or work a spreadsheet. You don't learn a lot of Excel skills playing in the National Hockey League you know.

I do wonder if he has the background to be a cap expert. He was an AHL general manager before coming here. I'm not sure that makes someone a capologist. I'd assume you would want someone with a legal background given the high complexity of the CBA and the numerous loopholes that seem to be found by other teams...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #731998 is a reply to message #731993 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Stauffer was throwing Sutter (and Hitchcock) under the bus the other day, apparently. Suggested they were the only ones the Chia took counsel with in his final weeks on the job...

That suggests to me that the Oilers have decided to drive the bus over those guys at the end of the season. Maybe they can disguise the announcement on Keith Gretzky, with the smokescreen of a Sutter firing?

ON an unrelated note - who wants to bet that the Keith Gretzky announcement gets made from Kelowna or somewhere distinctly not Edmonton?

For tonight's Oilers' positives - Ryan Nugent Hopkins' goal was his 56th point of the season, tying his career high with 19 games to go. Draisaitl's goal was his 77th point of the season, tying HIS career high too. Nurse's two assists continue to build on his best season. McDavid still has a ways to go to catch his peak though...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #732033 is a reply to message #731998 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 22:38

Stauffer was throwing Sutter (and Hitchcock) under the bus the other day, apparently. Suggested they were the only ones the Chia took counsel with in his final weeks on the job...

That suggests to me that the Oilers have decided to drive the bus over those guys at the end of the season. Maybe they can disguise the announcement on Keith Gretzky, with the smokescreen of a Sutter firing?

ON an unrelated note - who wants to bet that the Keith Gretzky announcement gets made from Kelowna or somewhere distinctly not Edmonton?

For tonight's Oilers' positives - Ryan Nugent Hopkins' goal was his 56th point of the season, tying his career high with 19 games to go. Draisaitl's goal was his 77th point of the season, tying HIS career high too. Nurse's two assists continue to build on his best season. McDavid still has a ways to go to catch his peak though...

I would imagine that at some point between being told to trade for NHL ready Griffin Reinhart by Ted Green and the pro scouts to being told by the former GMs to dump Hall for Adam Larson to being told that Puljarvi had to make the team to sell the fans on the teams direction that the lightbulb probably did go on for Chia. I'm guessing the last few weeks he was here he probably had a pretty good sense of how this script plays out - Lets just say the OBC aren't really the 'lead from the front' type. They are more the 'blame everyone else around them, hide in the shadows until something miraculously goes right and then knife your way to the front and smile for the cameras' style of leadership.

So yeah I bet Chia was pretty much done taking the advice of the former GMs by that point.

It would be great if one of these former GMs or coaches managed to find a loophole in their NDA and just let lose on this organization...I'd buy that book.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #732038 is a reply to message #732033 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Quote:

if one of these former GMs or coaches managed to find a loophole in their NDA and just let lose on this organization

I've had the same thought. Would love to hear what Todd Mclellan's ( as and example, there are many others you could use ) real take is on what took place during his time as coach in Edmonton.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 February 2019 10:49]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #732068 is a reply to message #732038 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 10:44

Quote:

if one of these former GMs or coaches managed to find a loophole in their NDA and just let lose on this organization

I've had the same thought. Would love to hear what Todd Mclellan's ( as and example, there are many others you could use ) real take is on what took place during his time as coach in Edmonton.

Have you read this?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25797430/inside-cleveland -browns-front-office-where-hope-history-collide

There’s a similar story out there to be wrote about the Edmonton Oilers. It would take some courage from the reporter because Lowe and Katz would blackball them for sure for writing it, but man, it would be a good and important read.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #732077 is a reply to message #732068 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 15:05

Quote:

Have you read this?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25797430/inside-cleveland -browns-front-office-where-hope-history-collide

There’s a similar story out there to be wrote about the Edmonton Oilers. It would take some courage from the reporter because Lowe and Katz would blackball them for sure for writing it, but man, it would be a good and important read.

One of these days an Edmonton reporter is going to be close to retirement or ready to move onto a new career in the sunbelt and go completely rogue on the Oilers and the media outlets wishes.

Or someone is going to write a book. Or the OEG will be an entire chapter in someone’s book. Hope I’m alive for that day. That’s my Stanley.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #732087 is a reply to message #732077 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 17:49 Go to previous message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 16:12

Adam wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 15:05

Quote:

Have you read this?

One of these days an Edmonton reporter is going to be close to retirement or ready to move onto a new career in the sunbelt and go completely rogue on the Oilers and the media outlets wishes.

Or someone is going to write a book. Or the OEG will be an entire chapter in someone’s book. Hope I’m alive for that day. That’s my Stanley.

We’ve been saying that for how many years? 10? 15? The msm is bought and paid for until they prove otherwise.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #732001 is a reply to message #731978 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

More Oilers positives - with McDavid's suspension, and a recent surge of non-Big Three scoring (3 goals in the last 4 games), the Big Three have now contributed on only 86% of the goals in the Hitchcock era (70% under McLellan). I suppose the flip side of that is that there have also been 3 non-97/29/93 goals in the last 12 games too...

Next goal that the Big Three are in on though will be the 100th they've created since Hitchcock was hired 43 games ago (there've been 16 non-Big 3 goals in the same time).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #732023 is a reply to message #732001 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Well it could be worse. We could be Ottawa in dead last place, not own our first that could be the #1 overall and just traded off every good player we had including the guy who we traded the #1 for.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #732025 is a reply to message #732023 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 09:36

Well it could be worse. We could be Ottawa in dead last place, not own our first that could be the #1 overall and just traded off every good player we had including the guy who we traded the #1 for.

Honestly, good point. Finally there is a fan base that has it worse than Edmonton.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #732026 is a reply to message #732025 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Magnum wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 09:45

Honestly, good point. Finally there is a fan base that has it worse than Edmonton.

I am a guy that needs something positive because there really isn't much right now.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #732048 is a reply to message #732025 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Magnum wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 10:45

Careful I would say odds are 50/50 the Oilers lose tonight and we see a new low of relative rock bottom

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #732029 is a reply to message #731978 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Outside of the 3 guys (RNH, McD, and Drai) there is nothing on this roster.

Sekera has looked okay, but I don't think he's a top 4 anymore. He can still make a play but he is distinctly slower.

This team is like how I climb home from school, up both ways.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #732031 is a reply to message #732029 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 10:07

Sekera has looked okay, but I don't think he's a top 4 anymore. He can still make a play but he is distinctly slower.

The good news is that it was 100% Chia's fault! He did all this damage on his own (except the Koskinen deal). Everything is gonna be fine now, Chia is gone.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #732042 is a reply to message #732029 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 10:07

There's always something, more likely at least 2 things that lets the team down. Goaltending, PK, utter lack of depth scoring, D zone coverage....take your pick. Add non-calls on obvious interference/hooks/clutch & grabs and you get a night like last night.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #732053 is a reply to message #732042 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Toronto, unlike the Oilers, have lots of offensive weapons and they are quick on the attack. A mismatch if you let them do their thing. Penalties didn't help although their penalty kill against a lesser power play in Nashville was really good.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #63) [message #732057 is a reply to message #732053 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

overdue wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 14:00

Toronto, unlike the Oilers, have lots of offensive weapons and they are quick on the attack. A mismatch if you let them do their thing. Penalties didn't help although their penalty kill against a lesser power play in Nashville was really good.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens to the Leafs team when Matthews deal and eventually Marner's deal comes on the books. Kapanen is a good player (under 900k), so is Johnsson (under 800k). Those guys need new deals too. Will there be enough money to pay those guys?

Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca