This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » McDavid suspended 2 gamesPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731581]
Fri, 22 February 2019 15:29 Go to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Welp.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-connor-mcdavid-su spended-two-games-hit-nick-leddy/

This sucks.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Send a private message to this user  

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731582 is a reply to message #731581 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Lol we tied. You put the link so I surrender the honor of being the McDavid post owner.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731588 is a reply to message #731582 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 16:31

Lol we tied. You put the link so I surrender the honor of being the McDavid post owner.

When I came on I was surprised no one had posted it in its own thread. When I hit submit and the forum reset, yours was below mine so I think you win!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731585 is a reply to message #731581 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Meh, whatever. We'll take Hughes or Kakko since the league is demanding it.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731587 is a reply to message #731581 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

I thought for sure at least a game.

I’m fine with it.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731589 is a reply to message #731587 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 16:58

I’m fine with it.

I mean okay fine, I get the reasoning. But there’s no consistency in officiating or discimpline after the fact apparently. That’s what I find a joke. McDavid gets accordioned into the corner boards and there’s no call. Yeah, he kept playing but Leddy was 100% fine and tried to stay out for the next shift only to be called off by Trotz

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731592 is a reply to message #731589 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

This league is a joke. My interest in the league has been dwindling and I just don't give a crap really anymore. The game has changed and not for the better. I'm just going stick with the WHL.

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731599 is a reply to message #731589 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 15:15

I’m fine with it.

I mean okay fine, I get the reasoning. But there’s no consistency in officiating or discimpline after the fact apparently. That’s what I find a joke. McDavid gets accordioned into the corner boards and there’s no call. Yeah, he kept playing but Leddy was 100% fine and tried to stay out for the next shift only to be called off by Trotz

So Leddy hit Conner dirty before this? Can't find the evidence on you tube.

Trotz shows his gamesmanship by pulling Leddy off for concussion protocol and probably sending in the video.

They're not even our same conference, never to play again until next year. Good job no neck! Trotz looks like the minister in Beetlejuice. Comes out the fireplace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei-2xTsyL8w

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731601 is a reply to message #731599 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Xombie wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 20:27

I’m fine with it.

Trotz shows his gamesmanship by pulling Leddy off for concussion protocol and probably sending in the video.

They're not even our same conference, never to play again until next year. Good job no neck! Trotz looks like the minister in Beetlejuice. Comes out the fireplace:

No, sorry the hit I was referring to was a ways back... against Anaheim, when Lindholm dumped him with the ref looking right at it.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731605 is a reply to message #731599 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Xombie wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 19:27

I’m fine with it.

Yeah, I was at the game, so I kind of saw this develop. McDavid was dragging the Islanders around their end with them draped on him; no call. He got pulled down and slid into the boards, nothing dangerous, but it should have been a penalty (not sure if it was Leddy or not).

McDavid got up, skated back, and made this hit. He looked frustrated. I don't think he meant to target the head so much as just make contact, but I do think he meant to kind of target him on a hit for the missed non-call.

The two don't really have all that much to do with one another, in that you can't really make that hit regardless of if the ref missed a holding call. Except it does add context in two ways: 1) if they had called that holding call, this play doesn't happen; and 2) it probably didn't look good when the NHL viewed the sequence because it looked a little like a targeted hit.

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think Leddy played for the rest of the first (he returned in the second). He had stayed down on the ice for a little after the hit, so I wouldn't be surprised if the spotter made him sit for concussion protocol. But maybe someone can confirm.

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731608 is a reply to message #731605 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 19:56

Xombie wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 19:27

I’m fine with it.

Yeah, I was at the game, so I kind of saw this develop. McDavid was dragging the Islanders around their end with them draped on him; no call. He got pulled down and slid into the boards, nothing dangerous, but it should have been a penalty (not sure if it was Leddy or not).

McDavid got up, skated back, and made this hit. He looked frustrated. I don't think he meant to target the head so much as just make contact, but I do think he meant to kind of target him on a hit for the missed non-call.

The two don't really have all that much to do with one another, in that you can't really make that hit regardless of if the ref missed a holding call. Except it does add context in two ways: 1) if they had called that holding call, this play doesn't happen; and 2) it probably didn't look good when the NHL viewed the sequence because it looked a little like a targeted hit.

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think Leddy played for the rest of the first (he returned in the second). He had stayed down on the ice for a little after the hit, so I wouldn't be surprised if the spotter made him sit for concussion protocol. But maybe someone can confirm.

Leddy tried to go right back out for the ensuing power play. He was pulled off the ice by either the coach or the concussion spotters.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 February 2019 20:50]

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731600 is a reply to message #731587 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
darkknight  is currently offline darkknight

No Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 15:58

I’m fine with it.

Me too, I said 1-2 games for sure. It's a direct headshot with the shoulder and that's a no-no. People can complain about the non calls and such all day long in regards to McD but this was pretty cut and dry.

He shoots, he Sykoras

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731602 is a reply to message #731600 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

darkknight wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 20:39

g2k wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 15:58

I’m fine with it.

Me too, I said 1-2 games for sure. It's a direct headshot with the shoulder and that's a no-no. People can complain about the non calls and such all day long in regards to McD but this was pretty cut and dry.

I will B and C all day long. This puts a serious damper on the potential ORPP!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731594 is a reply to message #731581 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Oilers get the shaft on their share of non calls and missed calls especially on McDavid but this is a direct head hit and they don't want to be seen as playing favorites just because it's the best player in the game.( in my opinion ) Be interesting to see if they can bring their play up a notch to make up for his loss for the next two.

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731596 is a reply to message #731594 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

overdue wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 18:51

Oilers get the shaft on their share of non calls and missed calls especially on McDavid but this is a direct head hit and they don't want to be seen as playing favorites just because it's the best player in the game.( in my opinion ) Be interesting to see if they can bring their play up a notch to make up for his loss for the next two.

While I agree to a point, Leddy was clearly bent over and McDavid braces as a reaction to Leddy leaning forward. I’m not saying I agree with headshots being fair game (I’ve had 5 concussions myself in my 30 years) but I can’t get on board with a player of any skill level being penalized like this for what really was incidental contact. A fine? Okay, sure, slap a fine on the “first time offender” but a 2 game suspension when we’ve seen intentional blows to the head go uncalled and unmonitored? It’s bush league. In my opinion.

Maybe it’s the league trying to have McDavid humbled with all the non calls opponents get away with on infractions to McDavid, but I sure hope he’s more vocal about the bull crap he has to put up with night in and night out from opponents including plays worse than he committed.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731603 is a reply to message #731581 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Not surprising. A lot of elements in that hit that the NHL is trying to get rid of.

Personally, I though it would be either a fine, or more likely, 1 game (due to McDavid having no history and Nick Leddy not being injured). But 2 isn't shocking.

Have this hit been on McDavid BY Leddy, every Oilers fan would be outraged and demanding more than 2 games.

In any case, it's pretty low stakes, despite Bob Nicholson talking about it being a critical time of the year. The Oilers aren't making the playoffs, Kucherov is running away with the scoring race, and once again Oilers fans are becoming familiar with the top three in this year's draft.

Only thing critical for Bob Nicholson is season ticket holders being exposed to this team without McDavid in the lineup.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 February 2019 19:58]

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731604 is a reply to message #731603 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 20:49

Not surprisingly. A lot of elements in that hit that the NHL is trying to get rid of.

Personally, I though it would be either a fine, or more likely, 1 game (due to McDavid having no history and Nick Leddy not being injured). But 2 isn't shocking.

Have this hit been on McDavid BY Leddy, every Oilers fan would be outraged and demanding more than 2 games.

In any case, it's pretty low stakes, despite Bob Nicholson talking about it being a critical time of the year. The Oilers aren't making the playoffs, Kucherov is running away with the scoring race, and once again Oilers fans are becoming familiar with the top three in this year's draft.

Only thing critical for Bob Nicholson is season ticket holders being exposed to this team without McDavid in the lineup.

Woah woah woah. Easy there big shoots. You seem to be forgetting about the OilFans Regina Playoff Party, hosted by PlusOne.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 February 2019 20:02]

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731606 is a reply to message #731581 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Bush league.

#FireParros

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731609 is a reply to message #731581 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Funny coincidence:

Light the Lamp @OilersGirl97
Six years ago today

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0DqfquUwAAnGwA.jpg

Hit was made on the Feb 21st, 2013 I believe, Hall on Clutterbuck. I got to see that one live, was pretty sweet :)

Clutterbuck was there last night to see McDavid's hit too.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731610 is a reply to message #731581 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

McDavid should take the suspension to arbitration, give Parros, and the NHL, a big F U in the process. And then any suspension savings he gets ($70k per game), he donates to charity.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731611 is a reply to message #731610 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Wonder if it would still be a suspension if Auston Matthews did it while his team is still in a playoff race. Imagine that crap storm out east.

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731618 is a reply to message #731611 ]
Sat, 23 February 2019 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 23:02

Wonder if it would still be a suspension if Auston Matthews did it while his team is still in a playoff race. Imagine that crap storm out east.

That plug wouldn’t even get a fine. Craig Button would be lauding him for standing up for himself and playing a physical role showing the rest of the league he’s not going to take them lightly.

Ffs. Leddy had literally just got rid of the puck and bent forward while McDavid braced.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731614 is a reply to message #731581 ]
Sat, 23 February 2019 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

No Cups

Is this McDavid's first conversation with NHL player safety? I think it is.

I don't mind this if there is any history with the player. But I am pretty confident there isn't. I think they are making an example of the league's best player here. We saw Max Domi get zero regular season games for a sucker punch in the most recent preseason.

Clean house or bust

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731623 is a reply to message #731614 ]
Sat, 23 February 2019 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

Think of player safety in this way....

Radio Gudas is a repeat offender, purposefully cracks a guy over the head with his stick & gets 2 games.

McDavid, 1st time offender, wasn’t on purpose & gets 2 games for it.

My sentiment is that going forward, no matter who you are, you will get a minimum 2 game suspension if you hit an opposing player in the head with a check!

If the NHL doesn’t do this then the above facts show how totally inconsistent & incompetent player safety really is. I guess we will see.

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731624 is a reply to message #731623 ]
Sat, 23 February 2019 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Jakey wrote on Sat, 23 February 2019 08:27

Radio Gudas is a repeat offender, purposefully cracks a guy over the head with his stick & gets 2 games.

My sentiment is that going forward, no matter who you are, you will get a minimum 2 game suspension if you hit an opposing player in the head with a check!

If the NHL doesn’t do this then the above facts show how totally inconsistent & incompetent player safety really is. I guess we will see.

While he didn’t ‘target’ the head like Player Safety claims McDavid did to a player that was bent over after getting rid of the puck, Ryan Reaves obliterated Tom Wilson with a disgusting late hit and was not suspended. Was it because it was on Tom Wilson? Was it because Reaves didn’t directly hit Wilson’s head?

Gudas gets a 2 gamer, as a repeat offender, for cracking buddy over the head. Kucherov didn’t miss a beat.

Crosby decapitates Methot’s finger, Methot misses significant time, no suspension.

Player safety IS inconsistent and incompetent.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731630 is a reply to message #731624 ]
Sat, 23 February 2019 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 23 February 2019 08:02

While he didn’t ‘target’ the head like Player Safety claims McDavid did to a player that was bent over after getting rid of the puck, Ryan Reaves obliterated Tom Wilson with a disgusting late hit and was not suspended. Was it because it was on Tom Wilson? Was it because Reaves didn’t directly hit Wilson’s head?

Gudas gets a 2 gamer, as a repeat offender, for cracking buddy over the head. Kucherov didn’t miss a beat.

Crosby decapitates Methot’s finger, Methot misses significant time, no suspension.

Player Safety is run by a goon. This is the result. He no doubt always felt it unfair that stars get treated with velvet gloves - but people don't pay to see George Parros play hockey. Just totally misguided decision here.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731632 is a reply to message #731630 ]
Sat, 23 February 2019 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 23 February 2019 11:50

Player Safety is run by a goon. This is the result. He no doubt always felt it unfair that stars get treated with velvet gloves - but people don't pay to see George Parros play hockey. Just totally misguided decision here.

Fact. Well said. Now people may have paid to see his mustache once upon a time, but 100% that clown performed a much more vicious hit on the regular without consequence.

Though, it’s the Oilers. Hockey mad city that will still fill up the arena Saturday night and then they travel to Tennessee to play the Sabrecats Monday, another arena guaranteed to be full. They don’t need McDavid there. I wonder, had our next two games been in Florida/New Jersey if this suspension would have still been given.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731637 is a reply to message #731630 ]
Sat, 23 February 2019 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Quote:

Just totally misguided decision here.
One game would have sufficed to send the message that no one is immune. Conner is not a head hunting goon after all and is one of the faces of the league. While I don't agree with the penalty I understand what they are trying to get across.

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731640 is a reply to message #731630 ]
Sat, 23 February 2019 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 23 February 2019 10:50

I mean the fans pay to see the stars, but the league is obligated to look after all its players. Those players have an ability to file a lawsuit against the NHL just as much as any other player.

Look, it's not like McDavid is Tom Wilson and is going to go getting suspended all the time. It was a bad hit, the league punished the bad hit, I doubt we will see it happen again in his career.

That said, yes, the NHL is wildly inconsistent and it is frustrating. Gudas should be getting the Tom Wilson treatment at this point, and Crosby should have gotten suspended for his slash. It isn't the wrong decision this time by the NHL, but it is frustrating to see the inconsistency.

And I don't for a second buy into this conspiracy business. The idea that they suspended him because of full buildings just doesn't hold up. When I was living in Miami, I had bought tickets to specifically see Ovechkin when he was in town, and he went and got suspended the game before he played Florida. It was disappointing as a fan, but I still went to the game, and I hear over and over again how bad attendance is there. So I don't believe that plays into things at all.

Maybe I'd have my Oilers-tinted glasses on a little more if it mattered at all. It sucks for McDavid, because he wants to play, but beyond that... it just really won't impact the Oilers season in any meaningful way. It might, at this point, even benefit them.

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731642 is a reply to message #731640 ]
Sat, 23 February 2019 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sat, 23 February 2019 14:39

I mean the fans pay to see the stars, but the league is obligated to look after all its players. Those players have an ability to file a lawsuit against the NHL just as much as any other player.

Look, it's not like McDavid is Tom Wilson and is going to go getting suspended all the time. It was a bad hit, the league punished the bad hit, I doubt we will see it happen again in his career.

That said, yes, the NHL is wildly inconsistent and it is frustrating. Gudas should be getting the Tom Wilson treatment at this point, and Crosby should have gotten suspended for his slash. It isn't the wrong decision this time by the NHL, but it is frustrating to see the inconsistency.

And I don't for a second buy into this conspiracy business. The idea that they suspended him because of full buildings just doesn't hold up. When I was living in Miami, I had bought tickets to specifically see Ovechkin when he was in town, and he went and got suspended the game before he played Florida. It was disappointing as a fan, but I still went to the game, and I hear over and over again how bad attendance is there. So I don't believe that plays into things at all.

Maybe I'd have my Oilers-tinted glasses on a little more if it mattered at all. It sucks for McDavid, because he wants to play, but beyond that... it just really won't impact the Oilers season in any meaningful way. It might, at this point, even benefit them.

I think with no track record and a hit that had absolutely no malice to it - where the biggest issue was the awkward position that Leddy put himself in, that should be AT WORST a fine. It was a hit, it was a penalty, but not every penalty is worthy of supplemental discipline.

I also do really think that under Parros, there has been a lot more suspensions to smaller, skilled players for relatively minor infractions which didn't result in much (or any) real damage to the other player. I think he's gone easy on many of the fourth line guys, while trying to be "balanced" by suspending stars.

The NHL has a hideous track record for showcasing their star players, and this is just one more example of that. Just a brutal decision in my opinion.

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731645 is a reply to message #731642 ]
Sat, 23 February 2019 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 23 February 2019 16:44

I think with no track record and a hit that had absolutely no malice to it - where the biggest issue was the awkward position that Leddy put himself in, that should be AT WORST a fine. It was a hit, it was a penalty, but not every penalty is worthy of supplemental discipline.

I also do really think that under Parros, there has been a lot more suspensions to smaller, skilled players for relatively minor infractions which didn't result in much (or any) real damage to the other player. I think he's gone easy on many of the fourth line guys, while trying to be "balanced" by suspending stars.

The NHL has a hideous track record for showcasing their star players, and this is just one more example of that. Just a brutal decision in my opinion.

Think of the publicity we’ll get if we suspend McDavid!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731651 is a reply to message #731642 ]
Sat, 23 February 2019 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 23 February 2019 14:44

I really think McDavid should call this BS and go to arbitration, keep playing until a hearing. Make the NHL go before an arbitrator and actually PROVE they have a logical methodology in making these decisions. The NHL and Parros would look like fools trying to explain what they do, and how they do it. Call the BS. Enough is enough.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731659 is a reply to message #731651 ]
Sat, 23 February 2019 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 23 February 2019 18:21

I really think McDavid should call this BS and go to arbitration, keep playing until a hearing. Make the NHL go before an arbitrator and actually PROVE they have a logical methodology in making these decisions. The NHL and Parros would look like fools trying to explain what they do, and how they do it. Call the BS. Enough is enough.

That's not how it works in the NHL. If you go to an arbitrator, you can get your suspension reduced and you can get pay back as compensation, but you have to sit out the entire duration while you wait for an arbitrator.

It's a two step process. First, you appeal to the NHL. Then you can appeal to a neutral third party arbitrator. The whole process can take weeks.

We saw this earlier this year with Tom Wilson, where the NHL came down on him hard (20 games), and the arbitrator came down on him soft (14 games). The entire process took weeks, and Tom Wilson actually sat out 15 games (I believe), and was thus eligible to return immediately. He got compensation back for 6 games (20-14).

In the case of McDavid, there's just no point. You won't appeal to the NHL and then an third party arbitrator by Tuesday. The only reason you'd do it is to try and get your money back, and I don't know if that is worth the drama and headache for him to do. He's sitting two games either way.

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731669 is a reply to message #731659 ]
Sat, 23 February 2019 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sat, 23 February 2019 19:01

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 23 February 2019 18:21

That's not how it works in the NHL. If you go to an arbitrator, you can get your suspension reduced and you can get pay back as compensation, but you have to sit out the entire duration while you wait for an arbitrator.

It's a two step process. First, you appeal to the NHL. Then you can appeal to a neutral third party arbitrator. The whole process can take weeks.

We saw this earlier this year with Tom Wilson, where the NHL came down on him hard (20 games), and the arbitrator came down on him soft (14 games). The entire process took weeks, and Tom Wilson actually sat out 15 games (I believe), and was thus eligible to return immediately. He got compensation back for 6 games (20-14).

In the case of McDavid, there's just no point. You won't appeal to the NHL and then an third party arbitrator by Tuesday. The only reason you'd do it is to try and get your money back, and I don't know if that is worth the drama and headache for him to do. He's sitting two games either way.

It should be like the CFL, as soon as you make your appeal, the suspension is put on hold, and you keep playing until there is a decision made. The NHLPA should really be stepping in here, protect their members paycheques.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731641 is a reply to message #731581 ]
Sat, 23 February 2019 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

McDavid was clearly frustrated after getting banged around early in the shift and came too hard at a guy in a vulnerable position. I don't see anything that shows any real intent to injure, but he has to own it as a hit to the head of a prone player. The suspension is in line with other suspensions for this kind of hit.

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731689 is a reply to message #731581 ]
Sat, 23 February 2019 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Wayne Simmonds laid a nasty hit on Brian Dumoulin in the outdoor game tonight... Dumoulin left, didn’t return and Coach Sully says he’s out with a concussion.

Wonder if we’ll see a 2-gamer or more slapped on Simmonds...

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731721 is a reply to message #731581 ]
Sun, 24 February 2019 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

No hearing or fine for Simmonds. Which I mean okay, he got Dumoulin in the chest initially.

*Also, trade asset for Philly with rumours of last night being his last game as a Flyer

[Updated on: Sun, 24 February 2019 10:52]

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731723 is a reply to message #731721 ]
Sun, 24 February 2019 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 24 February 2019 10:38

No hearing or fine for Simmonds. Which I mean okay, he got Dumoulin in the chest initially.

*Also, trade asset for Philly with rumours of last night being his last game as a Flyer

Where the heck is the Perry hearing? That was a blatant intentional elbow to Nurse's face.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731724 is a reply to message #731723 ]
Sun, 24 February 2019 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 24 February 2019 12:07

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 24 February 2019 10:38

Where the heck is the Perry hearing? That was a blatant intentional elbow to Nurse's face.

No word yet, either way. You see what Ferraro said about it on twitter? Basically saying it won’t be looked at because of Nurse’s position hahaha which is a flipping joke because like Nurse, Leddy was not upright. It’s such a joke if Perry isn’t suspended. Clear intent after the disallowed goal to a player in a defenseless position. Connor’s bicep to the head is a 2 gamer but Perry’s chicken wing isn’t?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: McDavid suspended 2 games [message #731734 is a reply to message #731724 ]
Sun, 24 February 2019 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

John Shannon said on twitter that the NHL isn't planning any supplemental discipline for the Perry chickenwing. Because, NHL.
The Oils/Duck game at the end of March just got interesting. Nurse might murder the dude.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today
Next Topic:Oilers select 6th rnd (#153) - TYLER VESEL
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca