This day on April 18
None

Happy Birthday To: spaz44, Formica, JDmassive, timothyparis12

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731482]
Thu, 21 February 2019 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final (OT)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
NY Islanders to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731492 is a reply to message #731482 ]
Thu, 21 February 2019 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

OPP! OPP! Only 5 points baaaaaack Wave Towel

Koskinen made some big saves.
LOOOOCH and Cave with a point.
MCPOINTS!!!!
Leon was a tank again.

Edit: My bad, Wild won. We’re 6 points back. OPP!!!

[Updated on: Thu, 21 February 2019 21:51]

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731495 is a reply to message #731492 ]
Thu, 21 February 2019 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 21 February 2019 21:45

MCPOINTS!!!!
Leon was a tank again.

Ugh...I looked at the standings after the game, and I just assumed we weren't given our 2 point yet on nhl.com. So 4 points back, oooh, 3 games under .500. Nope, points already there, 6 game, 4 games under .500 :(

This is definitely a very different team with Klef in the lineup. Really speaks to how badly this team needs some more guys that can provide a little skill with the puck. Sek is a pretty good 3rd pair D as well. Man I hope he survives the summer.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731501 is a reply to message #731495 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 21 February 2019 23:07

MCPOINTS!!!!
Leon was a tank again.

Ugh...I looked at the standings after the game, and I just assumed we weren't given our 2 point yet on nhl.com. So 4 points back, oooh, 3 games under .500. Nope, points already there, 6 game, 4 games under .500 :(

This is definitely a very different team with Klef in the lineup. Really speaks to how badly this team needs some more guys that can provide a little skill with the puck. Sek is a pretty good 3rd pair D as well. Man I hope he survives the summer.

Man, those consecutive 3rd period collapses are really going to haunt this team. Need to go on a decent run here to actually get back in it.

Reggie has looked pretty good since his return. In theory, having him on the 3rd pair should give us a puck mover on each d pair. Problem is Nurse just isn’t doing it consistently like Klef or Reg.

Admittedly, I wasn’t too high on Nurse earlier in the year, but it’s pretty clear how much he means to that room and he’s having a heck of a season. If he can just get his consistency issues (on all parts of his game) figured out then we’ve got ourselves an alright looking d corps.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731516 is a reply to message #731501 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 07:01

Admittedly, I wasn’t too high on Nurse earlier in the year, but it’s pretty clear how much he means to that room and he’s having a heck of a season. If he can just get his consistency issues (on all parts of his game) figured out then we’ve got ourselves an alright looking d corps.

I wanted to wait until Klef came back to say much about this to get a full sample size but I have been watching Nurse and his stats/gameplay very close. I believe he has improved a lot and is well on his way to being a REAL first pairing guy.

Of all the guys we have thrust into a role they dont fit in/arent ready for you could argue he has performed the best.

In total he had 21 GP, 2G, 13A for 15 points. That works out to .71 PPG. If that was consistent for the full season it would put him tied for 12th in the league of guys who have played 40+ games.

In his first real PP trial 6 of those were power play points.

He averaged 26:54 in ice time during that stretch. That him 2 seconds behind Doughty for most in the league.

While his timing could be better he is one of the only players on the team to be a real physical threat

+/- of -1 over that stretch.
The teams goal differential was -17 (I didnt bother looking up special teams to compare his +/-)

His 15 points mean he was in on 23.8% of all Oiler goals

I know there is more to a player than stats, advanced or basic, but this snapshot tells me he performed admirably in his #1 d-man role.
On the note of #1, he is averaging a full 2 mins more than Larsson for the season. 24-22.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731506 is a reply to message #731495 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 21 February 2019 22:07

MCPOINTS!!!!
Leon was a tank again.

That gift of Sekera's of the puck to the front of his own net in the 3rd just can't happen from a veteran.....9 times out of 10 that ends up in his own net. He's been overall better than I thought he'd be though. I just think he looks frail, and cringe every time he goes into the corners. Hope he plays well until he's hurt again.

Re: Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731494 is a reply to message #731482 ]
Thu, 21 February 2019 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

The team has a bit more depth with Cave, Sekkera, Gagner and the young guy from Bakersfield #43. Good game for the whole team.

Re: Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731498 is a reply to message #731482 ]
Thu, 21 February 2019 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Way to go, Bobby Nix, inspiring the team on to victory!!!

More pressers!!!!

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731502 is a reply to message #731482 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Don't forget the Gagner goal.

Re: Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731503 is a reply to message #731502 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 07:32

That was an energy boost to the team I’m sure.

Anyone else think he and Rieder (may be) are the difference over the next month?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731504 is a reply to message #731503 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 06:40

Anyone else think he and Rieder (may be) are the difference over the next month?

After one play?

I’m going to say likely not.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731508 is a reply to message #731504 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 08:17

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 06:40

After one play?

I’m going to say likely not.

Someone’s not down with the OPP

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731509 is a reply to message #731482 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

McDavid to have a phone hearing regarding the elbow to the head of... Nick Leddy or whoever it was last night.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731510 is a reply to message #731509 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Craig Button after the game last night said he should get two games if you compare that one with other head hits. Good thing Leddy wasn't injured .

Re: Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731511 is a reply to message #731510 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

overdue wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 09:51

Craig Button after the game last night said he should get two games if you compare that one with other head hits. Good thing Leddy wasn't injured .

Eh, Craig Button is a homer. He’s a tool. He’s... language not appropriate for this forum.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731513 is a reply to message #731511 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 09:12

Eh, Craig Button is a homer. He’s a tool. He’s... language not appropriate for this forum.

lol. Doesn't his brother still work for the flames? Guy bashes almost everything Oilers except McDavid's skill level. Fun when he bashes someone you don't like, like Chia or Eakins, but gotta remember he is also gonna bash everything else, and gotta ignore as required.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731530 is a reply to message #731513 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 09:18

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 09:12

lol. Doesn't his brother still work for the flames? Guy bashes almost everything Oilers except McDavid's skill level. Fun when he bashes someone you don't like, like Chia or Eakins, but gotta remember he is also gonna bash everything else, and gotta ignore as required.

I've noticed how gleeful Button gets when he points out problems with the Oilers and he likes to emphasize how hopeless the situation appears to be. He was practically drooling all over the prospect of Conner getting two games. Personally I think they will have to give him one.

Re: Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731533 is a reply to message #731511 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 08:12

Agree. Button and the word blowhard were made for each other. He keeps spouting off hoping for another GM job some day, pity the fool.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731512 is a reply to message #731510 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

The guys trying to earn a spot for next season really have pushed the pace here. Great to see and a lot of teams use this "tactic" each season. Guys on one year prove it deals, or former NHLers who have been demoted to the AHL.

Great competition and if you look at the remaining schedule, 13 games against non playoff teams currently, making the Oilers having one of the easiest remaining schedule in the league come March as per Travis Yost's score adjusted fenwick articles.

Re: Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731536 is a reply to message #731510 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

overdue wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 08:51

Actually an article on Oilersnation includes 2 comparables from Gregor from this season that went unsuspended. IMO they look worse than McDavid on Leddy.

https://oilersnation.com/2019/02/22/connor-mcdavid-to-have-h earing-over-headshot-on-nick-leddy/

I think he'll probably get a significant fine.

Re: Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731546 is a reply to message #731536 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

The second one on the Canuck player definitely looked worse than McDavid's. Hope he's right and it is just a fine. I'm pretty sure he can afford it.

Re: Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731522 is a reply to message #731482 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

There has been a shift in the NHL game, a small guy like Gagner has come in and have won battles with his speed, he's good at holding the puck as well. Josh Currie is made of the same frame and his foot speed, it was awesome seeing his line cycle on the Islanders. The team has looked faster, Puljujarvi and Khaira are no slouches on speed but I feel they get stripped way more easily than others. I look at the Flames and their top 3 are a bunch of smaller players that can skate with good hands.

The Oilers do look faster with those 2 guys in the lineup, I know it's a short sample size.

The Oilers were 5 points out before last night's game, they WON and now are 6 points out. Shows how tough it's going to be to get in.

But I still believe. Road to Regina!

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731534 is a reply to message #731522 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 09:02

There has been a shift in the NHL game, a small guy like Gagner has come in and have won battles with his speed, he's good at holding the puck as well. Josh Currie is made of the same frame and his foot speed, it was awesome seeing his line cycle on the Islanders. The team has looked faster, Puljujarvi and Khaira are no slouches on speed but I feel they get stripped way more easily than others. I look at the Flames and their top 3 are a bunch of smaller players that can skate with good hands.

The Oilers do look faster with those 2 guys in the lineup, I know it's a short sample size.

The Oilers were 5 points out before last night's game, they WON and now are 6 points out. Shows how tough it's going to be to get in.

But I still believe. Road to Regina!

One big problem with Oilers is a lack of puck handlers, Gagner's addition is noticeable because IMHO our only real legit puck handlers are RNH and McD.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60) [message #731579 is a reply to message #731482 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 15:23 Go to previous message

6 Cups

2 game suspension for McDavid

https://www.nhl.com/video/mcdavid-suspended-two-games/t-2774 40360/c-66120603

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Previous Topic:Pregame: Anaheim @ Edmonton (Game #61)
Next Topic:GDT: N.Y. Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #60)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca