This day on April 16
Acquired: Ty Conklin (2001)

Happy Birthday To: Ryno, Rifle, tollen, oiler-dude, oiler4life, Big T, MikeHawk, ryanbatty, jtb36, retirealreadymikekeane

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison outPages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726376 is a reply to message #726371 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

No Cups

It's baffling to me that Chia still is the GM. I don't know if they want to wait till it's renewal time for season tickets holders to do it so they can say they are dealing with it or what. He shouldn't be the GM.

He has to have the worst assessment, contract negotiation and team assessment in the league.

We have no depth scoring and to trade someone that at least provides us with some goals is dumb.

To take back Manning with another year on his contract isn't bright. Taking back more money on this year towards our little LTIR money.

When will his reign end.....

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726378 is a reply to message #726376 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

McDavid97 wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 14:19

It's baffling to me that Chia still is the GM. I don't know if they want to wait till it's renewal time for season tickets holders to do it so they can say they are dealing with it or what. He shouldn't be the GM.

He has to have the worst assessment, contract negotiation and team assessment in the league.

We have no depth scoring and to trade someone that at least provides us with some goals is dumb.

To take back Manning with another year on his contract isn't bright. Taking back more money on this year towards our little LTIR money.

I'm guessing April.

The danger for Nicholson, Lowe and Company is that if they fire him now, and the rest of the year is a dumpster fire - as it may very well be - there would be pressure on Katz to deal with the rest of the crappy management too. They insulate themselves best by letting the anger with Chiarelli come to a full boil and then axing him in the Spring, telling the world that they've addressed the problem now, and they're REALLY serious about winning this time.

It's not what's best for the team, but then when has Lowe & Friends ever put what's best for the team first?

[Updated on: Wed, 02 January 2019 16:16]

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726380 is a reply to message #726378 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 15:29

McDavid97 wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 14:19

I'm guessing April.

The danger for Nicholson, Lowe and Company is that if they fire him now, and the rest of the year is a dumpster fire - as it may very well be - their would be pressure on Katz to deal with the rest of the crappy management too. They insulate themselves best by letting the anger with Chiarelli come to a full boil and then axing him in the Spring, telling the world that they've addressed the problem now, and they're REALLY serious about winning this time.

It's not what's best for the team, but then when has Lowe & Friends ever put what's best for the team first?

I agree with this 100%. Interim GM would likely be one of the clowns, and they just wouldn’t put their faces in the line of fire.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726412 is a reply to message #726371 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Chicago does not save cap space with respect to the Garrison transaction to which I was referring. Whether he goes to the minors or contract terminated it makes no difference whatsoever to Chicago’s cap number.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726419 is a reply to message #726412 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 19:55

Chicago does not save cap space with respect to the Garrison transaction to which I was referring. Whether he goes to the minors or contract terminated it makes no difference whatsoever to Chicago’s cap number.

Nope - I'm pretty sure if they agree with the player to terminate the contract, they get out from under the hit. They were out from the hit if he went to the minors too. Or if he'd been hurt (through LTIR). Or if he retired.

I think the only situation where they get stuck with his cap hit is if A) he makes over ~!$1MM and is in the minors (he didn't), or if he retired and he was over 35 when he signed the contract (he's 34).

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726428 is a reply to message #726419 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Sigh. That's what I just said. If he's in the minors the cap hit is buried. If terminated, doesn't exist either way. No difference in terms of real cap hit.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726431 is a reply to message #726428 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 21:26

Sigh. That's what I just said. If he's in the minors the cap hit is buried. If terminated, doesn't exist either way. No difference in terms of real cap hit.

Okay - so we were arguing the same thing. I still think if we'd known he would have quit if demoted, it would have been nice to get out of some other contract instead.

The one I'm confused about is Robin Norell. He's on loan to Europe, so I believe he doesn't count against the contract limit and the Oilers don't pay him anything, but from all accounts, he won't ever be an Oiler. So what's the point in having him included? Are his rights worth anything?

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726432 is a reply to message #726431 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 22:31

Okay - so we were arguing the same thing. I still think if we'd known he would have quit if demoted, it would have been nice to get out of some other contract instead.

The one I'm confused about is Robin Norell. He's on loan to Europe, so I believe he doesn't count against the contract limit and the Oilers don't pay him anything, but from all accounts, he won't ever be an Oiler. So what's the point in having him included? Are his rights worth anything?

Was just another egg included in the basket. Get it... egg... Robin?

And there’s Norell (read:No real) chance he ever plays a game for the Oilers.

Wow... watch out Gene! I’m coming for your job

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726433 is a reply to message #726431 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 21:31

I'm sure one of our brilliant scouts saw him in a game and is convinced he's a diamond in the rough.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726435 is a reply to message #726433 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 21:40

Adam wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 21:31

I'm sure one of our brilliant scouts saw him in a game and is convinced he's a diamond in the rough.

Must have been in the building for one of his three assists this season in Sweden!

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726443 is a reply to message #726431 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Probably another one of those stupid OBC requirements: "giving up 2 assets, so we HAVE to get 2 back, no matter how useless the 2nd one is)

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726709 is a reply to message #726412 ]
Mon, 07 January 2019 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 19:55

....so how does this work? Is Garrison completely off the Chicago books now?....

https://www.tsn.ca/ex-oilers-d-garrison-signs-with-djurgarde ns-1.1237366

....."Garrison, who had his contract terminated by the Chicago Blackhawks last week after failing to report to the AHL, has signed with Djurgardens IF of the SHL.

The 34-year-old was acquired by the Blackhawks eight days ago along with Drake Caggiula from the Oilers for defencemen Brandon Manning and Robin Norell. However, the team said Wednesday Garrison did not report to the AHL's Rockford IceHogs, which led to him going on waivers for contract termination."....

.yes Djurgardens....the same team that Robin Norell is currently playing for....

....this has to be one of the weirdest trades in Oiler history....Caggiula can't play for Chicago because the US government is shut down and he can't get a work visa....can't wait to see what the Oilers pull off at the trade deadline....

edit:...I was wrong about Caggiula....he played for the Blackhawks in their victory over Pittsburgh...

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/chi-vs-pit/2019/01/06/2018020 650#game=2018020650,game_state=final,game_tab=stats

[Updated on: Mon, 07 January 2019 08:47]

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726381 is a reply to message #726358 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lew19  is currently offline Lew19

No Cups

Davidson also on waivers as per that article...

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726655 is a reply to message #726138 ]
Sun, 06 January 2019 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Manning healthy scratch already. Plays exactly as expected based on his play for Chicago all year and many articles about how bad he's been and how impossible it was supposed to be for Chicago to get rid of him.

Clueless, runs around like a dummy, puts teammates in crap positions, minimal skill with the puck.

1 more year at 2.25M...

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726656 is a reply to message #726655 ]
Sun, 06 January 2019 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 06 January 2019 15:59

Manning healthy scratch already. Plays exactly as expected based on his play for Chicago all year and many articles about how bad he's been and how impossible it was supposed to be for Chicago to get rid of him.

Clueless, runs around like a dummy, puts teammates in crap positions, minimal skill with the puck.

1 more year at 2.25M...

If Katz was a business man as far as hockey goes, he’d make Chia pay it out of his own salary.

Trading Caggiula for Manning is a spectacular failure of GMing. Except for the Blackhawks who look like geniuses.

[Updated on: Sun, 06 January 2019 17:26]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726658 is a reply to message #726656 ]
Sun, 06 January 2019 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 06 January 2019 17:24

1 more year at 2.25M...

If Katz was a business man as far as hockey goes, he’d make Chia pay it out of his own salary.

Trading Caggiula for Manning is a spectacular failure of GMing. Except for the Blackhawks who look like geniuses.

Stan Bowman vs Chia in a trade? Who wouldn’t expect Chia to be @$$raped in the deal?

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726659 is a reply to message #726658 ]
Sun, 06 January 2019 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sun, 06 January 2019 17:29

nullterm wrote on Sun, 06 January 2019 17:24

1 more year at 2.25M...

Stan Bowman vs Chia in a trade? Who wouldn’t expect Chia to be @$$raped in the deal?

It's nuts. ANy trade involving Manning should have had Chicago trying to convince someone else to take on a terrible contract. Chicago should have had to pay a team to take that garbage. We paid instead. We paid a team to take their garbage contract that they badly wanted to dump because it was attached to a useless player.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726660 is a reply to message #726658 ]
Sun, 06 January 2019 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Chia is such a fool ( or those behind him pulling the strings )

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726780 is a reply to message #726138 ]
Tue, 08 January 2019 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

A couple little tidbits from Dustin Neilson:

Quote:

This story is actually even more ridiculous than it sounds. I do believe it’s been mentioned that Chiarelli has always had Manning on his radar but how about this little tidbit. I’ve been told by a very reliable source that at one point over the last two years Chiarelli actually had a deal in place to acquire Manning. He was ready to pull the trigger but his coaching staff told him not to do it. I don’t know what that deal was but I find it fascinating he has wanted Manning for so long and was told by his last coaching staff the player wasn’t worth picking up. Looks like they were right.

I also snagged this quote from an NHL Scout shortly after the Manning deal was made. “I have no idea what Peter is hoping to accomplish with Manning. He’s a fringe bottom pairing d-man on his best day.”

So basically, McLellan had said he didn't want the player, so once McLellan was out of the way, Chiarelli went right back to trying to acquire him, despite the fact that the numbers and news on him were all bad. I wonder if the Oilers didn't just look at the McDavid hit, and decide that made him somehow desirable, just because he got in a lucky shot once...

Sigh.

Here's the link to the article quoted:

https://oilersnation.com/2019/01/08/catching-up-brandon-mann ing-alex-petrovic-line-combinations-and-spengler-cup/?utm_so urce=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726781 is a reply to message #726780 ]
Tue, 08 January 2019 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 08 January 2019 10:44

Quote:

This story is actually even more ridiculous than it sounds. I do believe it’s been mentioned that Chiarelli has always had Manning on his radar but how about this little tidbit. I’ve been told by a very reliable source that at one point over the last two years Chiarelli actually had a deal in place to acquire Manning. He was ready to pull the trigger but his coaching staff told him not to do it. I don’t know what that deal was but I find it fascinating he has wanted Manning for so long and was told by his last coaching staff the player wasn’t worth picking up. Looks like they were right.

I also snagged this quote from an NHL Scout shortly after the Manning deal was made. “I have no idea what Peter is hoping to accomplish with Manning. He’s a fringe bottom pairing d-man on his best day.”

So basically, McLellan had said he didn't want the player, so once McLellan was out of the way, Chiarelli went right back to trying to acquire him, despite the fact that the numbers and news on him were all bad. I wonder if the Oilers didn't just look at the McDavid hit, and decide that made him somehow desirable, just because he got in a lucky shot once...

Sigh.

https://oilersnation.com/2019/01/08/catching-up-brandon-mann ing-alex-petrovic-line-combinations-and-spengler-cup/?utm_so urce=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Well, he did take out the best player in the game for half a year. Could come in handy for the playoffs.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726782 is a reply to message #726781 ]
Tue, 08 January 2019 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 08 January 2019 10:46

Quote:

Sigh.

Well, he did take out the best player in the game for half a year. Could come in handy for the playoffs.

What's a playoffs?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726817 is a reply to message #726782 ]
Tue, 08 January 2019 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 08 January 2019 10:56

Quote:

Sigh.

What's a playoffs?

I think it happens between when our season ends and the draft lottery. Not 100% sure though.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726820 is a reply to message #726817 ]
Tue, 08 January 2019 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 08 January 2019 20:08

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 08 January 2019 10:56

Quote:

Sigh.

What's a playoffs?

I think it happens between when our season ends and the draft lottery. Not 100% sure though.

The Masters? You’re talking about the Masters, right?

Isn’t it wild that the Sens opted to give Colorado this year’s pick instead of last years (knowing full well they were likely dealing Karlsson and/or Hoffman. They currently sit with the highest odds to win the lottery... Colorado that is, with the Sens pick.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726852 is a reply to message #726820 ]
Tue, 08 January 2019 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 08 January 2019 20:19

Isn’t it wild that the Sens opted to give Colorado this year’s pick instead of last years (knowing full well they were likely dealing Karlsson and/or Hoffman. They currently sit with the highest odds to win the lottery... Colorado that is, with the Sens pick.

And the guy they traded for the pick will probably be gone by then too. Got to think Stone and Duchene are gone from Ottawa in the next month.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726858 is a reply to message #726852 ]
Tue, 08 January 2019 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 08 January 2019 22:31

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 08 January 2019 20:19

And the guy they traded for the pick will probably be gone by then too. Got to think Stone and Duchene are gone from Ottawa in the next month.

That’s right. Holy smokes. Now who’s the worse GM... Dorion or Chiarelli? This might warrant its own thread.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726783 is a reply to message #726780 ]
Tue, 08 January 2019 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 08 January 2019 09:44

Quote:

Sigh.

McLellan also was reported to have been scratching Bouchard so that management had no choice but to send him back to junior.

A lot of info is coming out post-firing. It seems likely that McLellan is feeding some stories, after all according to Friedman he didn't go quietly. If all this is true though, sure sounds like McLellan was the only one with common sense on a few issues.

I thought there was some disconnect between McLellan and Chiarelli when Ryan Strome was taken off McDavid's wing immediately in preseason.

Clean house or bust

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726784 is a reply to message #726783 ]
Tue, 08 January 2019 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 08 January 2019 11:12

Quote:

Sigh.

McLellan also was reported to have been scratching Bouchard so that management had no choice but to send him back to junior.

A lot of info is coming out post-firing. It seems likely that McLellan is feeding some stories, after all according to Friedman he didn't go quietly. If all this is true though, sure sounds like McLellan was the only one with common sense on a few issues.

I thought there was some disconnect between McLellan and Chiarelli when Ryan Strome was taken off McDavid's wing immediately in preseason.

There did not seem to be consensus between the two, and I do think McLellan is happy to launch grenades from the sidelines. I would guess he's concerned about his own hire-ability after his stint here, and he figures that the worse Chia looks and the more people dismiss the performance due to poor roster construction, the better the chance he actually finds big league work again.

It'll be interesting to see if it works. I expect people can see through the anonymous stories and realize who's feeding them out there, and there were things that McLellan did that aren't desirable in a coach - no matter what the roster looks like. For me, the three worst things were:
1) Poor communication - verified by several former players, he wasn't giving players a lot of feedback.
2) Poor in-game & in-series adjustments - Say what you will about the complete failure of Chiarelli to improve his team going in to the playoffs in 2016-17, but McLellan did not adjust to what Anaheim did, didn't respond to the tactics or games that Carlyle played, and was flat-out out-coached by a guy who isn't known for out-coaching anyone. The Oilers lost to a team that had worse health and lower top end players and who was fairly easily dispatched in the next round. Most of that is on McLellan
3) Failure to adapt his game plan to the team he was presented with. While his roster was not perfect (and arguably got worse every season), McLellan seemed to want to adjust his team to the system and style he wanted to play, rather than adjust the system to the players. That's not a positive aspect of a head coach.
4) Finally, his special teams were awful. The depth of the team was not a strength, but with the powerplay, he was able to put out some of the best players in the league - and he managed to create a man advantage that was sub-par. He didn't make up for that on the PK either. The team bled goals against when short, and generally got stymied when they were up a man. On top of that, he was stubborn when it wasn't working and slow to adjust. I didn't like his habit of using powerplay time as a reward either.

All those things, and if I was running an organization, I sure wouldn't hire him, but we'll see - maybe he can convince a team to take him on nonetheless. If he does get a new gig elsewhere as a NHL head coach, he will be the first Oilers coach since Ron Low to accomplish that...

Whatever the case, I do kind of enjoy seeing these stories show up that illustrate how bad Chiarelli actually is. One hopes that those help to force the team to make a change. I just wish it would happen soon so that Nicholson & Company probably also are forced out at year's end...(I understand, that's probably wishful thinking...)

[Updated on: Tue, 08 January 2019 11:32]

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726809 is a reply to message #726784 ]
Tue, 08 January 2019 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I haven't taken a close look at the Sharks record before and after Todd was their coach but am pretty sure they got better after he was replaced. You could make a case for lack of talent and depth on the Oilers but a coach's job is to make the best of what he has and mould a team that can be competitive at the least. Hitchcock has done a much better job of assessing the players and trying to put them in a position to be more successful even though the results have been far from perfect at times. ( losing two important players long term in the same game didn't help ) Not sure where it goes from here but it's a lot better than it was before Mclellan was fired.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726856 is a reply to message #726809 ]
Tue, 08 January 2019 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Tue, 08 January 2019 18:05

I haven't taken a close look at the Sharks record before and after Todd was their coach but am pretty sure they got better after he was replaced. You could make a case for lack of talent and depth on the Oilers but a coach's job is to make the best of what he has and mould a team that can be competitive at the least. Hitchcock has done a much better job of assessing the players and trying to put them in a position to be more successful even though the results have been far from perfect at times. ( losing two important players long term in the same game didn't help ) Not sure where it goes from here but it's a lot better than it was before Mclellan was fired.

You've made me curious:

Under Ron Wilson
2002-03 San Jose Sharks NHL Head‡ 57 19 31 7 0.395 Out of Playoffs
2003-04 San Jose Sharks NHL Head 82 43 21 12 6 0.634 Lost in round 3
2005-06 San Jose Sharks NHL Head 82 44 27 0 11 0.604 Lost in round 2
2006-07 San Jose Sharks NHL Head 82 51 26 0 5 0.652 Lost in round 2
2007-08 San Jose Sharks NHL Head 82 49 23 0 10 0.659 Lost in round 2

Under Todd McLellan
2008-09 San Jose Sharks NHL Head 82 53 18 0 11 0.713 Lost in round 1
2009-10 San Jose Sharks NHL Head 82 51 20 0 11 0.689 Lost in round 3
2010-11 San Jose Sharks NHL Head 82 48 25 0 9 0.640 Lost in round 3
2011-12 San Jose Sharks NHL Head 82 43 29 0 10 0.585 Lost in round 1
2012-13 San Jose Sharks NHL Head 48 25 16 0 7 0.594 Lost in round 2
2013-14 San Jose Sharks NHL Head 82 51 22 0 9 0.677 Lost in round 1
2014-15 San Jose Sharks NHL Head 82 40 33 0 9 0.543 Out of Playoffs

Under Pete DeBoer
2015-16 San Jose Sharks NHL Head 82 46 30 0 6 0.598 Lost in Finals
2016-17 San Jose Sharks NHL Head 82 46 29 0 7 0.604 Lost in round 1
2017-18 San Jose Sharks NHL Head 82 45 27 0 10 0.610 Lost in round 2
2018-19 San Jose Sharks NHL Head 44 24 13 0 7 0.625

So they generally trended up under Wilson, although in part due to the acquisition of Joe Thornton in 2005-06. They kept up for one year under McLellan, then the trend was slightly worse almost every year. He had some pretty fantastic teams there - Thornton, Marleau, pre-decline Dany Heatley, Dan Boyle, Pavelski, eventually Couture and Burns...really good goalie in Nabokov too. DeBoer's team has trended up, despite the fact that team is getting pretty old. There's an argument from these numbers that McLellan is the third best head coach they've had in the last decade and a half. Fourth best if you include that guy behind their bench tonight...

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #727323 is a reply to message #726780 ]
Sun, 13 January 2019 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Quote:

Sigh.

But if McDavid single handily gets the team to the playoffs then Chia keeps his job. LOGIC.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #727329 is a reply to message #727323 ]
Sun, 13 January 2019 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 13 January 2019 17:56

But if McDavid single handily gets the team to the playoffs then Chia keeps his job. LOGIC.

This is the Catch-22 that all Oil fans need to worry about.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #727331 is a reply to message #727329 ]
Sun, 13 January 2019 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sun, 13 January 2019 20:16

nullterm wrote on Sun, 13 January 2019 17:56

This is the Catch-22 that all Oil fans need to worry about.

I love that movie and book.... just not living it!

https://twentyfourframes.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/catch_22_1.jpg?w=401&h=301

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726815 is a reply to message #726138 ]
Tue, 08 January 2019 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

David Schlemko clears waivers. Definitely better than Manning and probably better than Petrovic. Way to work the phones Chiarelli.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #727137 is a reply to message #726138 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

So Chicago has been trying to acquire Caggiula since he was a free agent. They really wanted him. Yet, somehow they were also able to dump a terrible contract on us to get him. We managed to establish ourselves as the more desperate party in the negotiation because we wanted Manning so badly. We probably didn't even know Chicago really wanted Caggiula.

Ummmmmm...fire everyone please.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #727140 is a reply to message #727137 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 11:05

So Chicago has been trying to acquire Caggiula since he was a free agent. They really wanted him. Yet, somehow they were also able to dump a terrible contract on us to get him. We managed to establish ourselves as the more desperate party in the negotiation because we wanted Manning so badly. We probably didn't even know Chicago really wanted Caggiula.

But Chiarelli has such a good rapport with the other GMs throughout the league. Clearly he knew it was Quenville that really wanted Drake, not Bowman. He had to sell Bowman on Caggiula and on top of that, had to give 8th dman Jason Garrison to get him to take Drake.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #727143 is a reply to message #727140 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 10:13

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 11:05

But Chiarelli has such a good rapport with the other GMs throughout the league. Clearly he knew it was Quenville that really wanted Drake, not Bowman. He had to sell Bowman on Caggiula and on top of that, had to give 8th dman Jason Garrison to get him to take Drake.

I wonder if negotiations go kinda like the McDavid contract.

Chia says he really really really wants Manning, and he just hands a blank contract to the other team and they can fill out whatever they want in return. He depends on them feeling shame and not wanting to take advantage too much of this guy they really like personally, cause Chia is just such a good dude and they all like him. They only take advantage a little bit.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #727297 is a reply to message #726138 ]
Sun, 13 January 2019 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Saw this on twitter, haven't been able to find the source yet:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dwvxx3HVsAAuIT2.jpg:small

You just don't often see players take shots at their last general manager on the way out the door. It's just another sign of how screwed up things are here in Edmonton...

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #727321 is a reply to message #727297 ]
Sun, 13 January 2019 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Wow! not really surprising. Makes you wonder if Chiarelli was fulfilling some kind of debt obligation with Bowman. It doesn't make sense from any angle especially given that Manning isn't very good, way over priced for what he brings, and we had D coming back from injury. This one really stinks! Probably made Cagulla happy though.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #733110 is a reply to message #726138 ]
Wed, 13 March 2019 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Complete Hockey News @CompleteHkyNews
Edmonton Oilers defenceman Brandon Manning is being healthy scratched.... by the Bakersfield Condors.

The Oilers are now paying the guy who injured Connor McDavid $2.5 million to sit in the press box of AHL arenas.

This is peak Oilers.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #733113 is a reply to message #733110 ]
Wed, 13 March 2019 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 13 March 2019 22:19

Edmonton Oilers defenceman Brandon Manning is being healthy scratched.... by the Bakersfield Condors.

The Oilers are now paying the guy who injured Connor McDavid $2.5 million to sit in the press box of AHL arenas.

This is peak Oilers.

It's perfect. Why wouldn't you want that guy?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #733117 is a reply to message #733113 ]
Wed, 13 March 2019 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 13 March 2019 22:23

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 13 March 2019 22:19

This is peak Oilers.

It's perfect. Why wouldn't you want that guy?

Chia was trying to get him for a year straight. Apparently no one that knew this in the org felt the need to tell him he was trying to get an overpaid POS that can't do anything.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Pages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Review: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #70)
Next Topic:Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #70)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca