This day on January 18
Acquired: Micah Aivazoff (1995) Len Esau (1995) Dean Kennedy (1995)

Happy Birthday To: brad233, gloss233, joker911

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Hypothetical ‘BIG’ trade...Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Hypothetical ‘BIG’ trade... [message #726654 is a reply to message #726653 ]
Sun, 06 January 2019 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

Players decry the local fans and media for being hard on them. You play a team game professionally you can’t not expect to be criticized when you appear to mail it in daily. The first few games of Hitch, Lucic looked like he was reenergized and found a new effective role. Now he and the rest of the team have reverted back to the mean of complete suckitude.

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Hypothetical ‘BIG’ trade... [message #726722 is a reply to message #726630 ]
Mon, 07 January 2019 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 06 January 2019 12:53

Reports a plenty coming out of Raleigh that the Canes are dangling Dougie Hamilton, as well as not wanting to lose Ferland in UFA if they can’t strike a deal. Meanwhile, in YEG, reports are that Chia may be looking at moving JP.

Totally hypothetical here;

Hamilton and Ferland to Edmonton
Lucic, Puljujarvi, Spooner/or/Manning and the NYI 3rd

Is this too ‘Chel? Flame away if you must. Draft pick too high? Obviously you’d have to get Milan’s blessing, with his NMC.

Yay? Nay?

Still think we miss playoffs this year even if this occurs.

If Chia could pull off getting Hamilton and moving Lucic in the same trade, I would nominate him for GM of the year.

Hamilton is having a down year, but even with Puljujarvi's goal last night, Hamilton has more goals than JP and Lucic combined. And I'm a fan of Puljujarvi, but he is not an established NHL player. I don't see any way that a team would be willing to give up a really good NHLer and take on Lucic's disaster of a contract (it might be the worst deal in the NHL right now), just to get JP.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19 pace: 237 GF / 258 GA (-21)

Re: Hypothetical ‘BIG’ trade... [message #726724 is a reply to message #726722 ]
Mon, 07 January 2019 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 07 January 2019 10:00

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 06 January 2019 12:53

Reports a plenty coming out of Raleigh that the Canes are dangling Dougie Hamilton, as well as not wanting to lose Ferland in UFA if they can’t strike a deal. Meanwhile, in YEG, reports are that Chia may be looking at moving JP.

Totally hypothetical here;

Hamilton and Ferland to Edmonton
Lucic, Puljujarvi, Spooner/or/Manning and the NYI 3rd

Is this too ‘Chel? Flame away if you must. Draft pick too high? Obviously you’d have to get Milan’s blessing, with his NMC.

Yay? Nay?

Still think we miss playoffs this year even if this occurs.

If Chia could pull off getting Hamilton and moving Lucic in the same trade, I would nominate him for GM of the year.

Hamilton is having a down year, but even with Puljujarvi's goal last night, Hamilton has more goals than JP and Lucic combined. And I'm a fan of Puljujarvi, but he is not an established NHL player. I don't see any way that a team would be willing to give up a really good NHLer and take on Lucic's disaster of a contract (it might be the worst deal in the NHL right now), just to get JP.

There is something really wrong with that Carolina team. Something about how they play that just gives guys weird results. Definitely a team worth trading with. Think it's a unique case where players on that team have suppressed value because of the weird situation.

They value possession numbers. Would they still believe Lucic is a good possession player? :) His corsi % is actually over 50% now that I look.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Hypothetical ‘BIG’ trade... [message #726939 is a reply to message #726724 ]
Wed, 09 January 2019 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I read some stuff from a hockey writer the other day who listed the Oilers as being one of the teams that should be all in on Tarasenko as apparently the Blues are pretty desperate on making changes. I personally don't think it would happen but for fun, I would be curious to see what some think is a legit offer where Oilers fans would be OK with it. I really don't want to hear how Chia sucks or how he will pay too much or Lucic blows or the usual stuff. I know all that. Just what would be an acceptable trade.

My thoughts:

They'd have to include a first. Probably this seasons because with the Oilers not a for sure playoff team,it could be a lottery pick. If you are the Blues, you don't want to roll the dice on next years being a really low.

I think they would need to include Puljujarvi. My guess is they would want a young, cheap forward, who they would have lots of control over with potential. Puljujarvi hasn't put it together yet, the jury is out on what he might be but was a 4th overall, is huge, skates like the wind and has a TON of potential. If you made a list of what a ideal hockey player would look like, it would be Puljujarvi.

I would think they would want a young dman(I assume Bouchard is a non starter). Maybe Nurse but I actually think the guy I would go for if I was the Blues is Jones. I like Nurse a lot but I think he has a ceiling as a maybe decent #3 20-30 pt, mean, nasty dman who skates really well, defends OK, not great, he moves the puck OK, not great. A decent, all around dman. I know it's early but I think Jones has the potential to be a really good, second pairing, moves the puck really well, heady, offensive dman who is a decent defender as well.

Those would be the 3 main pieces for Tarasenko.

They would need to move some money. So if they can get him to agree to waive, I think the play would be to move Sekera. The Blues are going to lose Jay Bo who's now a 3rd pairing dman making 5.4 mill. So to put Sekera in at the same money, in the same spot isn't a stretch. To get the Blues to take him, you'd have to offer something else. So maybe you throw in an decent defense prospect. Lagesson is supposed to be looking really good. Bear would intrigue maybe some people with his skill set and with the way things are going in the NHL. Maybe you go as high as Benning who's a #6, right shot, NHL dman and then the Blues fire back a token 7th rounder years from now.

Re: Hypothetical ‘BIG’ trade... [message #727039 is a reply to message #726939 ]
Thu, 10 January 2019 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

No Cups

If you can get the Hurricanes tontake Lucic and any ELC player for a healthy Hamilton you pull the trigger.

Even if Hamilton has warts and has bounced he still performs on the ice. Even when he gets moved, he still brings back a decent return. Same can’t be said for Lucic. Like some other poster pointed out in a different thread, Lucic’s Best case scenario should mirror Lupul’s. Bury the man in LTIR. Make a hangnail look like career ender. It could be argued Lucic had his wrists fused.

Re: Hypothetical ‘BIG’ trade... [message #727041 is a reply to message #727039 ]
Thu, 10 January 2019 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 10 January 2019 18:34

If you can get the Hurricanes tontake Lucic and any ELC player for a healthy Hamilton you pull the trigger.

Even if Hamilton has warts and has bounced he still performs on the ice. Even when he gets moved, he still brings back a decent return. Same can’t be said for Lucic. Like some other poster pointed out in a different thread, Lucic’s Best case scenario should mirror Lupul’s. Bury the man in LTIR. Make a hangnail look like career ender. It could be argued Lucic had his wrists fused.

Player has to have no pride and play along like Lupul though. Lupul was happy to be paid for nothing, and only revealed he was faking because someone made him feel embarrassed on twitter. The NHL investigated and he probably went back to his act to make it go away so he could go back to laying around.

Is Lucic the type to be turd and just go away? I'm not so sure. Especially with how much money he can make if he can force us to buy him out. Had this discussion with Adam previously. I am curious what the punishment would be for us if we tried to force Lucic to go away and he refused and complained to the NHLPA. That happening would be so very Oilers :)

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hypothetical ‘BIG’ trade... [message #727154 is a reply to message #727041 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I have a feeling that if Lucic somehow got traded, he would be a lot better for who ever got him. Maybe not over 20 goals and 50+ pts but I could see mid teens and 40 pts. For a guy that has had his skills disappear, he still gets a hell of a lot of chances. SO I think it's all mental for him. From the day he signed, there was an outcry of his contract being crappy before he even played a single game. He had a pretty good first year yet he was crapped on. Then it went a bit sideways, he's feeling the heat. Gets crapped on continuously. It snowballs. He's finding it harder than he anticipated to be in Edmonton than he thought. It continues to snowball.

If he went to an American market, I think he'd be OK.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 January 2019 12:37]

Re: Hypothetical ‘BIG’ trade... [message #727168 is a reply to message #727154 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 12:33

I have a feeling that if Lucic somehow got traded, he would be a lot better for who ever got him. Maybe not over 20 goals and 50+ pts but I could see mid teens and 40 pts. For a guy that has had his skills disappear, he still gets a hell of a lot of chances. SO I think it's all mental for him. From the day he signed, there was an outcry of his contract being crappy before he even played a single game. He had a pretty good first year yet he was crapped on. Then it went a bit sideways, he's feeling the heat. Gets crapped on continuously. It snowballs. He's finding it harder than he anticipated to be in Edmonton than he thought. It continues to snowball.

Aw man. Another guy to at to the list that had to be traded from the Oilers to get their career back on track? :)

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hypothetical ‘BIG’ trade... [message #727169 is a reply to message #727154 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 12:33

I agree, a different NHL team would really benefit from taking Lucic in a trade.

*Looks to see if any NHL GMs are listening*

Yeah, I know he’s going to bounce back and be a great producer for the Oilers, but he’d probably be even better, sooner, potentially immediately, with a change of scenery. Hate to see him go, but you got to give something to get something.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Hypothetical ‘BIG’ trade... [message #727181 is a reply to message #727041 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 10 January 2019 18:44

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 10 January 2019 18:34

Player has to have no pride and play along like Lupul though. Lupul was happy to be paid for nothing, and only revealed he was faking because someone made him feel embarrassed on twitter. The NHL investigated and he probably went back to his act to make it go away so he could go back to laying around.

Is Lucic the type to be turd and just go away? I'm not so sure. Especially with how much money he can make if he can force us to buy him out. Had this discussion with Adam previously. I am curious what the punishment would be for us if we tried to force Lucic to go away and he refused and complained to the NHLPA. That happening would be so very Oilers :)

I don’t think Lucic is at all that type of player. I was just best case scenario. I have zero belief he’d roll over on his career.

Re: Hypothetical ‘BIG’ trade... [message #727194 is a reply to message #726630 ]
Sat, 12 January 2019 12:22 Go to previous message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

Sorry dude... two solid players in Hamilton and Ferland, for a guy that is possibly the worst albatross contract in the NHL, an overpriced Spooner, a total project in Pulju and a 3rd? No way.

Maybe if you threw the first and second picks in there instead... maybe that gets some attention.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:How to get the team less sexy
Next Topic:Goaltending
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca