This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727089]
Thu, 10 January 2019 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final (OT) (SO)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Florida to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727097 is a reply to message #727089 ]
Thu, 10 January 2019 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Wave Towel Wave Towel Wave Towel

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727098 is a reply to message #727089 ]
Thu, 10 January 2019 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Feel good for Talbot. Rotten luck lately.

Even in slow motion, 97’s stickhandling looked super fast on that shoot out goal. Seriously, go back and look.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727100 is a reply to message #727098 ]
Thu, 10 January 2019 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 10 January 2019 22:49

Even in slow motion, 97’s stickhsndling looked super fast on that shoot out goal. Seriously, go back and look.

I did this! Insane.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727102 is a reply to message #727098 ]
Thu, 10 January 2019 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Quote:

Nice to see them get the win for Larson too after putting it in his own net, he felt like crap.Sometimes the luck goes you're way and not against you.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727103 is a reply to message #727102 ]
Thu, 10 January 2019 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

overdue wrote on Thu, 10 January 2019 22:52

Quote:

Nice to see them get the win for Larson too after putting it in his own net, he felt like crap.Sometimes the luck goes you're way and not against you.

2nd game in a row he’s had a puck go off him into the net.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727099 is a reply to message #727089 ]
Thu, 10 January 2019 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Whatever - take the 2 points and move on. That was not pretty, but a big win.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727101 is a reply to message #727089 ]
Thu, 10 January 2019 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

woot. Winning by playing 1 period is always nice. Talbot was good, 2 unlucky goals, magic seeing eye shot through 3 players and a double deflection goal again off our own guys.

Should try next game to put effort in before the 3rd period.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727105 is a reply to message #727089 ]
Thu, 10 January 2019 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

My Sportsnet still not working. Had to find an online feed. Dennis Potvin is a top 15 all time defenceman and a bottom 15 all time analyst.

Oilers somehow came out with a win. You have to win sometimes when you are not supposed to, but the lack of give a damn is unsettling.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727107 is a reply to message #727105 ]
Thu, 10 January 2019 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Thu, 10 January 2019 22:28

My Sportsnet still not working. Had to find an online feed. Dennis Potvin is a top 15 all time defenceman and a bottom 15 all time analyst.

Oilers somehow came out with a win. You have to win sometimes when you are not supposed to, but the lack of give a damn is unsettling.

One thing we do have going for us is the McDavid factor.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727110 is a reply to message #727107 ]
Thu, 10 January 2019 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looch  is currently offline Looch

No Cups

Usually, we come out as clutch as an automatic transmission. McDavid was absolutely sublime and I especially loved Ekblad getting dusted!

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727111 is a reply to message #727110 ]
Thu, 10 January 2019 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Four years into McDavid and we can still barely beat a non playoff team like Florida. I can't even said we played them 50\50. We should be destroying teams like this at this point. Not luckig out a win. If this team makes the playoffs I'll crap myself live on YouTube.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727116 is a reply to message #727111 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shoop  is currently offline shoop

No Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 06:18

Four years into McDavid and we can still barely beat a non playoff team like Florida. I can't even said we played them 50\50. We should be destroying teams like this at this point. Not luckig out a win. If this team makes the playoffs I'll crap myself live on YouTube.

Sometimes you gotta win games you don't deserve to win.

The Oilers will make the because you angered the gods of coprophilia. icon_lol

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727112 is a reply to message #727089 ]
Thu, 10 January 2019 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

I was expecting more of a reaction from you guys, really the pessimistic attitude here is so negative.

McDavid scores with seconds to go and we get the 2 points at the end. Living in Calgary it was beautiful to see and we see what winning means to our leader.

Turning point of the season!

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727114 is a reply to message #727112 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Thu, 10 January 2019 23:25

I was expecting more of a reaction from you guys, really the pessimistic attitude here is so negative.

McDavid scores with seconds to go and we get the 2 points at the end. Living in Calgary it was beautiful to see and we see what winning means to our leader.

59 minutes and 52 seconds of frustration then, yes, it was indeed very entertaining to see our top 6 players out there playing NHL hockey. The negativity comes from us watching so many failed experiments like Lucic or Benning on the ice in clutch situations. However it was 2 .500 teams playing generally sloppy hockey that will not get either team into the playoffs.

McDavid's clutch goal and shootout goal were elite, superb, wicked awesome and worth watching. We want to see this level of compete from the whole team every game.

Now back to the fundamentals of building playoff team.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727118 is a reply to message #727112 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Thu, 10 January 2019 23:25

Perhaps the fact that the Oilers were 8 seconds away from 0 points at the hands of the Panthers was a little unsettling for some? If not for the heroics of 2 players. (again)

I’m certainly not going to complain about the much needed 2 points, but the fact that this team is a one trick pony most nights doesn’t seem like the progress required to be a contender.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727113 is a reply to message #727089 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gotta admit, I had no idea Nurse was on a 40 point pace...

The Nurse/Russell pairing is actually pretty decent again.

Not sure what to make of it all. Sell high on Nurse, or are we actually looking not bad with Klef-Larsson and Nurse-Russell next year if Nurse is able to take a step forward?

Obviously would be damn nice to get an offensive D with a RHS. Russell makes the situation odd, because you would like to replace him with a good offensive guy on the 2nd pair, but for whatever reason he seems to help stabilize Nurse's ice time.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 January 2019 00:22]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727121 is a reply to message #727113 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 00:20

Not sure what to make of it all. Sell high on Nurse, or are we actually looking not bad with Klef-Larsson and Nurse-Russell next year if Nurse is able to take a step forward?

Obviously would be damn nice to get an offensive D with a RHS. Russell makes the situation odd, because you would like to replace him with a good offensive guy on the 2nd pair, but for whatever reason he seems to help stabilize Nurse's ice time.

I agree with you about Russell. For whatever reason, he works with Nurse for the most part. Since coming back, Nurse's game has settled down a bit. He's got some yips but he's much better than he was when Russell went down. In general, I think Russell has been pretty good this year. I said it in another thread, his no move opens up and I think Russell will have value this offseason. If you put him with a partner that he doesn't have to carry, he can give a team decent #4 mins. He can still skate, he's versatile, he's a guy who gives you everything he's got, he blocks shots and he is more than willing to sacrifice his body for his team. I know stats guys hate him, I know the last 2 things I said about him can't be measured and some people don't think they are important and I am not trying to sell his merit because if you can move hi, I think you have to do it but I think GM's, coaches and players value what Russell brings. So I think he could get moved.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727122 is a reply to message #727121 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

For the game. They looked flat and tired. Hitch said the same thing. Maybe he was just sticking up for them but it sure looked like when they needed to step on the gas, it wasn't there. They won because for whatever reason, Florida isn't good despite having some real good players. They won because their goaltending is just as inconsistent as the Oilers. They won because the Oilers have the best player in the world and they have who I think is a top 20 player in Leon so they were able to tie it. Once you get to overtime, I would bet on the Oilers every time.

When it comes to Talbot. I thought it was a statement by his coach telling Talbot to go get his net. Against the Sharks, I didn't think Talbot was that good. There was lots of bad luck but that 3rd goal in San Jose sucked and was a back breaker. The team pulls within 1 and you give up a crap goal less than 1 min later. Then he gets pulled. So to go back to him was a statement to me. I thought Talbot was decent at times. He was good in OT and the shootout and made some good saves. The 3rd goal was a complete fluke, hits 2 Oilers and goes in. But the first goal was crap, that can't go in. The second goal, he fires a rebound right up the middle. At this level, that CAN'T happen. When Stauffer, Mr. Oilers rarely do anything wrong, is trying to figure out what Talbot was doing on the rebound and can't, it wasn't a good goal. They won, take it and move one.

I have no idea who they start next game.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727123 is a reply to message #727122 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 09:38

For the game. They looked flat and tired. Hitch said the same thing. Maybe he was just sticking up for them but it sure looked like when they needed to step on the gas, it wasn't there. They won because for whatever reason, Florida isn't good despite having some real good players. They won because their goaltending is just as inconsistent as the Oilers. They won because the Oilers have the best player in the world and they have who I think is a top 20 player in Leon so they were able to tie it. Once you get to overtime, I would bet on the Oilers every time.

When it comes to Talbot. I thought it was a statement by his coach telling Talbot to go get his net. Against the Sharks, I didn't think Talbot was that good. There was lots of bad luck but that 3rd goal in San Jose sucked and was a back breaker. The team pulls within 1 and you give up a crap goal less than 1 min later. Then he gets pulled. So to go back to him was a statement to me. I thought Talbot was decent at times. He was good in OT and the shootout and made some good saves. The 3rd goal was a complete fluke, hits 2 Oilers and goes in. But the first goal was crap, that can't go in. The second goal, he fires a rebound right up the middle. At this level, that CAN'T happen. When Stauffer, Mr. Oilers rarely do anything wrong, is trying to figure out what Talbot was doing on the rebound and can't, it wasn't a good goal. They won, take it and move one.

I have no idea who they start next game.

Part of me thinks they go to Koskinen tomorrow. With a back to back coming next weekend, they’ll likely want to get him at least one prior.

I’d say Koskinen tomorrow, Talbot Monday and Wednesday then back to Koskinen for the Flames next Saturday. Koskinen played the previous two games against the Flames, the last of which was a 1-0 shutout.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727132 is a reply to message #727121 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 08:31

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 00:20

I agree with you about Russell. For whatever reason, he works with Nurse for the most part. Since coming back, Nurse's game has settled down a bit. He's got some yips but he's much better than he was when Russell went down. In general, I think Russell has been pretty good this year. I said it in another thread, his no move opens up and I think Russell will have value this offseason. If you put him with a partner that he doesn't have to carry, he can give a team decent #4 mins. He can still skate, he's versatile, he's a guy who gives you everything he's got, he blocks shots and he is more than willing to sacrifice his body for his team. I know stats guys hate him, I know the last 2 things I said about him can't be measured and some people don't think they are important and I am not trying to sell his merit because if you can move hi, I think you have to do it but I think GM's, coaches and players value what Russell brings. So I think he could get moved.

Hate to rip on Larsson, but he struggles badly when his D partner is not also very aware defensively. He is not a guy that you can put out to make up for a partner with chaos in his game. Wish he was, thought he would be, but it's simply not the case.

Say what you will about how Russell is offensively, how he defends zone entries, how he tries to break out pucks, but the guy is very on the ball defending in his zone, and very aware of his teammates. It's the right compliment for Nurse that still plays a bit loose in his end and can get lost.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727124 is a reply to message #727113 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Quote:

Sell high on Nurse, or are we actually looking not bad

Personally I wouldn't trade Nurse period. It reminds me of the Petrie trade which was a huge mistake, giving up on a home grown big D that is still developing. ( although that blunder or tank or whatever you want to call it led to Oilers picking McDavid in the draft ) He looked pretty good last night in overtime and it's like you hear time and time again, it takes time for some defencemen to develop and he's still young. There's no quick fix for this team anyway at this point other than a lights out goaltender.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727146 is a reply to message #727089 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Couldn't watch the game on Shaw, the channel decided to give free seizures, so I watched with a delay on the Sportsnet app.

Ugly game, and probably a game they didn't deserve to win, but they did and meh.

Still not making the playoffs.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727149 is a reply to message #727146 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I will say one thing about Hitch. He's supposed to be demanding and a hard ass but man that guys has his team back. Since he got here, all he has done is pump Lucic's tires no matter what he's done. I think Puljujarvi has looked a lot better recently but he pumped that kids tires a crap load right off the bat even when he was lousy. He's piled on the refs not that long ago something McLellan never did. Last night, the Oilers were kind of lousy, didn't bring much but managed to win yet there is Hitch, saying it was a gutsy win, how tired they were, etc, etc. Giving the fellas an out for a lack luster game.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727150 is a reply to message #727149 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 12:20

I will say one thing about Hitch. He's supposed to be demanding and a hard ass but man that guys has his team back. Since he got here, all he has done is pump Lucic's tires no matter what he's done. I think Puljujarvi has looked a lot better recently but he pumped that kids tires a crap load right off the bat even when he was lousy. He's piled on the refs not that long ago something McLellan never did. Last night, the Oilers were kind of lousy, didn't bring much but managed to win yet there is Hitch, saying it was a gutsy win, how tired they were, etc, etc. Giving the fellas an out for a lack luster game.

Shielding his players in public and showing you have their backs, and demanding they give all they have in private. I think that should be the the goal of any good coach. Babcock is a master of that too. When he does criticize, it's on very general terms, almost never pointing at individuals. McLellan did a lot of pointing out individuals, which was never nice to see, even if it fed the need to hate on a single guy in the moment. You look back and maybe it was satisfying at the time, but you know it was bad now. Like when he was railing on Schultz constantly leading up to him being traded.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 January 2019 12:25]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727151 is a reply to message #727150 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 12:23

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 12:20

Shielding his players in public and showing you have their backs, and demanding they give all they have in private. I think that should be the the goal of any good coach. Babcock is a master of that too.

100%. One thing the players can't accuse Hitch of is not protecting them. Hopefully they repay him with a good run here before the break.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727156 is a reply to message #727150 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shoop  is currently offline shoop

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 19:23

Shielding his players in public and showing you have their backs, and demanding they give all they have in private. I think that should be the the goal of any good coach. Babcock is a master of that too. When he does criticize, it's on very general terms, almost never pointing at individuals. McLellan did a lot of pointing out individuals, which was never nice to see, even if it fed the need to hate on a single guy in the moment. You look back and maybe it was satisfying at the time, but you know it was bad now. Like when he was railing on Schultz constantly leading up to him being traded.

100%.

It drove me nuts that McLellan was always throwing his players under the bus. Be a frickin' professional and do that stuff behind closed doors.

I wonder if McLellan gets another shot as a head coach. I'd be pretty hesitant to hire him for that reason alone. It has been 20 years and counting since the Oilers had a head coach that served as a head coach again in the league.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727157 is a reply to message #727156 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

shoop wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 12:47

100%.

It drove me nuts that McLellan was always throwing his players under the bus. Be a frickin' professional and do that stuff behind closed doors.

I wonder if McLellan gets another shot as a head coach. I'd be pretty hesitant to hire him for that reason alone. It has been 20 years and counting since the Oilers had a head coach that served as a head coach again in the league.

He will absolutely get another job. He's coached 806 NHL games with 434 being wins. You don't win that many games being a crappy coach or by fluke, he just wasn't the right coach for the Oilers unfortunately.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #44) [message #727264 is a reply to message #727157 ]
Sat, 12 January 2019 23:18 Go to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 13:01

shoop wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 12:47

100%.

He will absolutely get another job. He's coached 806 NHL games with 434 being wins. You don't win that many games being a crappy coach or by fluke, he just wasn't the right coach for the Oilers unfortunately.

He may get another shot. He's got a long history and NHL teams love a retread...but he's not a good coach. He cost an extremely good San Jose team their chance to win a Cup and he squandered the first four years of McDavid's career.

The guy was blessed to coach some truly great players...and he managed to do zippo with it.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Previous Topic:Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #45)
Next Topic:GDT: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #45)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca