This day on March 23
Acquired: Jason Smith (1999) Vladimir Vorobiev (1999)
Departed: Kevin Brown (1999)

Happy Birthday To: derrick, wwoperator, LushJohnV, oilfaningp, OPEL12

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » GoaltendingPages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Goaltending [message #725324 is a reply to message #725096 ]
Mon, 17 December 2018 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 14 December 2018 19:06

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 11 December 2018 16:09

Then next season, you have Bouchard on your 3rd pairing playing sheltered mins with some PP time. So in a couple of seasons, he's taking Larsson's spot in the top 4 and you are set for a long, long time.

Would you do Talbot + Bouchard for Parayko?

I don't think I would just because Yes the Oilers need to improve the defense right now but I think Bouchard is going to be on the team next season and making an impact for them so trading him I think doesn't help the Oilers. The Oilers finally have some prospects coming but they don't have enough so I don't see the value in trading their #1 prospect. Secondly, in a few years, the Oilers are going to be without Sekera and Russel - hopefully sooner than that for Sekera. They need replacements for them AND in a cap world, they need cheap replacements.

I would much rather take out Bouchard and add in say Jones who's in the NHL showing what he can do and a pick to sweeten it vs give up Bouchard. Hell, as much as I love him, I would much rather send Larsson back instead of Bouchard to the Blues. In a season or 2, if you have Parayko and Bouchard as your top 2, right shots getting fed pucks by McDavid for one timers, you'd be set.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Goaltending [message #726125 is a reply to message #725324 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

1 Cup

....don't think Parayko is coming this way...not this season, at least....the Blues may be open to all offers, but can the Oilers afford to offer St. Louis what they would want???

...getting back to goaltending, the netminders sure haven't helped the Oilers through this important home stand....can't lay all the blame on Talbot and Koskinen, but they haven't been good enough lately (I'll give Koskinen credit for what he has accomplished, but he can't carry the load for this team himself, given the Oilers travel schedule)...and ,just my opinion, bhe goalies haven't been getting enough help from the lazy team in front of them...

....there isn't much to choose from in Bakersfield right now (Montoya is being healthy scratched every game and, IMHO, Wells and Starrett need more pro experience - a lot more)

....many other NHL teams have goaltending issues with injuries and inconsistent performances, so they are holding on to what they have, meaning a trade isn't easy....

....meanwhile, Laurent Brossoit, who the Oilers (and I) had written off after last season as an NHL caliber goaltender, is thriving for Paul Maurice and the Winnipeg Jets....

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?encode=TRUE& amp;pid=118258

....of course, Brossoit is getting the softer starts behind Hellebyck, and is playing behind a very fine defense....but why couldn't he stop anything with the Oilers last season????....I don't like to always question coaching or team practice methods, but in this case how else to explain the change in performance for Brossoit???....

Re: Goaltending [message #726241 is a reply to message #726125 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 13:53

....don't think Parayko is coming this way...not this season, at least....the Blues may be open to all offers, but can the Oilers afford to offer St. Louis what they would want???

...getting back to goaltending, the netminders sure haven't helped the Oilers through this important home stand....can't lay all the blame on Talbot and Koskinen, but they haven't been good enough lately (I'll give Koskinen credit for what he has accomplished, but he can't carry the load for this team himself, given the Oilers travel schedule)...and ,just my opinion, bhe goalies haven't been getting enough help from the lazy team in front of them...

....there isn't much to choose from in Bakersfield right now (Montoya is being healthy scratched every game and, IMHO, Wells and Starrett need more pro experience - a lot more)

....many other NHL teams have goaltending issues with injuries and inconsistent performances, so they are holding on to what they have, meaning a trade isn't easy....

....meanwhile, Laurent Brossoit, who the Oilers (and I) had written off after last season as an NHL caliber goaltender, is thriving for Paul Maurice and the Winnipeg Jets....

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?encode=TRUE& amp; amp; amp;pid=118258

....of course, Brossoit is getting the softer starts behind Hellebyck, and is playing behind a very fine defense....but why couldn't he stop anything with the Oilers last season????....I don't like to always question coaching or team practice methods, but in this case how else to explain the change in performance for Brossoit???....

They do have a #1 defense though.. makes huge difference, Montreal Canadiens won the Vezina every year in the 70's, had best D, and O, in teh league .. difference maker. Hard to evaluate goaltenders without factoring in team play, plus he's older now, more experience, goalies almost always develop later.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Goaltending [message #727957 is a reply to message #726241 ]
Sat, 19 January 2019 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

Well looks like the hypothetical Talbot trade wont happen at this point. Listening to burke and he basically said that he has negative value at this point.

Formerly gagnerisgod.

Re: Goaltending [message #727959 is a reply to message #727957 ]
Sat, 19 January 2019 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

2 Cups

sinfulchimp306 wrote on Sat, 19 January 2019 09:03

Well looks like the hypothetical Talbot trade wont happen at this point. Listening to burke and he basically said that he has negative value at this point.

The same Burke who hates Kevin Lowe and was most recently employed by the Calgary Flames?

Survivor 52 CHAMP

Re: Goaltending [message #727963 is a reply to message #727959 ]
Sat, 19 January 2019 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 19 January 2019 08:41

The same Burke who hates Kevin Lowe and was most recently employed by the Calgary Flames?

It turns out he was right about Kevin Lowe. We were warned. We didn’t listen.

This is fine.

Re: Goaltending [message #727969 is a reply to message #727963 ]
Sat, 19 January 2019 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sat, 19 January 2019 10:25

Fact.

When it comes to the current tandem, so what if we can’t move one of them? Start Koskinen at home and Talbot on the road
icon_wink

Survivor 52 CHAMP

Re: Goaltending [message #727994 is a reply to message #727963 ]
Sat, 19 January 2019 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sat, 19 January 2019 09:25

I actually think about this a lot. I supported Lowe through a lot of those early disputes. Comrie, Souray, Pronger, Burke etc. But hindsight suggests Kevin was probably just being a dbag the whole time.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Goaltending [message #727996 is a reply to message #727994 ]
Sat, 19 January 2019 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sat, 19 January 2019 18:14

I actually think about this a lot. I supported Lowe through a lot of those early disputes. Comrie, Souray, Pronger, Burke etc. But hindsight suggests Kevin was probably just being a dbag the whole time.

And he’s still in the organization, in a higher position with more power and very possibly a part of the ‘collaborative’ group that approves/denies Chiarelli’s decisions.

Survivor 52 CHAMP

Re: Goaltending [message #727997 is a reply to message #727996 ]
Sat, 19 January 2019 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 19 January 2019 17:19

And he’s still in the organization, in a higher position with more power and very possibly a part of the ‘collaborative’ group that approves/denies Chiarelli’s decisions.

*definitely

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Goaltending [message #727999 is a reply to message #727997 ]
Sat, 19 January 2019 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sat, 19 January 2019 18:19

*definitely

You weren’t alone in supporting him through the years, I know I did.

Survivor 52 CHAMP

Re: Goaltending [message #728000 is a reply to message #727999 ]
Sat, 19 January 2019 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 19 January 2019 17:24

*definitely

And you think back to that time, and how hard it was for the Oil to keep or attract players... puts a different spin on the whole thing. Nobody likes having a bad boss.

Re: Goaltending [message #728014 is a reply to message #727999 ]
Sat, 19 January 2019 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 19 January 2019 17:24

*definitely

I know I was definitely in supporting Lowe camp back in 2003. I was wrong, it was hard having to admit that, but I because a better hockey fan (and much much worse Oilers fan) because of it.

This is fine.

Re: Goaltending [message #728235 is a reply to message #728014 ]
Mon, 21 January 2019 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I don't see a future for Talbot in an Oilers jersey for next year. He doesn't look like a starter anymore. He didn't for most of last season and hasn't for most than this season. To me, it looks like he's an equipment goalie. Got him for the 2015-2016 season. Took him a bit to adjust to a new team, new system, new defense, he grabbed the net in Dec and was really good. 2016-2017 was 4th in the league for the vezina. 2017-2018, they change the dimensions of the shoulder pads, he was brutal for most of the season. After a bad year, this past offseason he supposedly trained harder, spent more time on the ice, contract year, he was going to be better. They changed the chest protector, he's been brutal for most of the year. All the years he was really good, old gear. The 2 seasons in a row they tweaked gear, he's sucked. Coincidence? Regardless, he's 9-13, .894% and a 3.27GA. That isn't good enough to be a starter and his % and GA isn't even decent back up numbers. I don't think he's worth much.

Re: Goaltending [message #730481 is a reply to message #728235 ]
Wed, 13 February 2019 12:25 Go to previous message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

1 Cup

Some interesting notes about goaltending from Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-eyes-senator s-trade-deadline-nears/

" There simply aren’t enough goalies to go around, so hoarding is becoming a popular pastime. Carolina kept three for awhile, and Philadelphia is juggling them like a circus performer. When Frederik Andersen was hurting post-Christmas, the Maple Leafs paid the fifth-rounder to get Michael Hutchinson before things got, well, to where they got for the Canucks. And it is going to get even stingier now that each of the Original 30 must expose one netminder for the Seattle expansion draft.

14. That’s why the safest prop bet of the year is Jordan Binnington will play at least 13 more games. If the St. Louis goalie doesn’t reach 27 NHL appearances of at least 30 minutes in 2018–19, he’ll be an unrestricted free agent. Now 10-1-1 with a 1.82 goals against average and a .927 save percentage, he has revived the Blues and potentially saved their season. "

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Oilers shopping Talbot?
Next Topic:Advanced stats, causality, and why numbers matter
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca