This day on March 29
None

Happy Birthday To: SMURDS, JRock71, Cpt Waffle, TexasOiler, Morgan99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison outPages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #731068 is a reply to message #731063 ]
Mon, 18 February 2019 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 18 February 2019 11:14

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 18 February 2019 10:14

According to TSN 1260, Manning is on waivers. when he is sent down to Bakersfield, the cap saving will be 1.063 million.

Hope he can be a decent AHL D and doesn't wreck the streak!

Absolutely. Also I get the overabundance of dmen with Reg back, but I’m surprised that they didn’t send JP down with all the chatter of late. Perhaps a deal is in the works...

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726162 is a reply to message #726138 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

No Cups

I really don't get this. MANNING?!?!? The only player in the league, perhaps universe, with the distinction of being called "classless" by McDavid? Wth is he thinking?

I've been in the "wait to fire Chiarelli" camp but I've packed up my tent and lawn chairs and am 100% in the "Fire Chia Now!" camp.

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726163 is a reply to message #726162 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

There’s 620 roster spots in the NHL, and Chia finds a way to get the only guy to have injured his franchise player. That’s some kind of amazing.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726195 is a reply to message #726163 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 16:39

There’s 620 roster spots in the NHL, and Chia finds a way to get the only guy to have injured his franchise player. That’s some kind of amazing.

Maybe he's thinking it worked with Kassian so why not try it again?

Today was as baffling as Pronger Day in Oilers' history.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726165 is a reply to message #726138 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

All these mediocre d man moves. All made on the same day that 21 years ago Slats fleeced Esposito in Tampa for one of the best young d man in the league who also was a former first overall pick.

I miss having a real GM.

I miss the "old" non contract caring NHL with body checks.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726166 is a reply to message #726138 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Deck chairs being moved around. 1st round players bouncing back and forth between the minors. Constant flux for a team trying to get some cohesion, familiarity and consistency.

I would like no moves if there isn’t something that’s positive to be had right now. This is a freaked out GM throwing things at a wall so he might squeeze into the playoffs. No real plan after that. Just save his job at the expense of draft picks, proper development....everything.

Survival mode. He’s looking at the big picture through a straw right now.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726167 is a reply to message #726166 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 16:58

Deck chairs being moved around. 1st round players bouncing back and forth between the minors. Constant flux for a team trying to get some cohesion, familiarity and consistency.

I would like no moves if there isn’t something that’s positive to be had right now. This is a freaked out GM throwing things at a wall so he might squeeze into the playoffs. No real plan after that. Just save his job at the expense of draft picks, proper development....everything.

OBC must be right there approving these moves too. And if the OBC are not, they aren't doing their job anyways, because no competent boss of Chia would be allowing him to do anything without approvals at this point.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726168 is a reply to message #726167 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

I’m reasonably sure, they’ve been in on all the moves. Hall and Eberle reek of Lowe intention mixed with Chia’s bad negotiation skills.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726180 is a reply to message #726168 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 17:14

I’m reasonably sure, they’ve been in on all the moves. Hall and Eberle reek of Lowe intention mixed with Chia’s bad negotiation skills.

It's like we have finally created the ultimate dream team of management incompetence. ALl the stupid ideas you could ever think up, combined with the shameless willingness to act on all of them.

I always felt that MacT wanted to do more stupid BOLD things, but didn't have the rapport to actually act on his impulses. That's why they love Chia so much, he can get stuff done and guys love to work with him.

[Updated on: Sun, 30 December 2018 18:10]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726182 is a reply to message #726180 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Is there a chance Drunk Gretzky could be the the shadow man doing this? I mean it would explain a hell of alot.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726183 is a reply to message #726182 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 18:11

Is there a chance Drunk Gretzky could be the the shadow man doing this? I mean it would explain a hell of alot.

https://i.imgur.com/FT9CUrz.gif

Drunk Gretzky gifs are the only saving grace of rebuild 4.0.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726171 is a reply to message #726167 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 17:08

OBC must be right there approving these moves too. And if the OBC are not, they aren't doing their job anyways, because no competent boss of Chia would be allowing him to do anything without approvals at this point.

Im sure someone like Keith Gretzky would have the balls to tell his brothers friends if he doesn’t approve of a deal.

Actually I’m not so sure.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726188 is a reply to message #726167 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 17:08

Pretty sure that Nicholson indicated in the Athletic article that he and Katz both get to approve deals before they let Chiarelli pull the trigger. They all have to bear responsibility for this mess.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726169 is a reply to message #726138 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Lucic-Spooner-Kassian
Manning-Petrovic

That 5 man unit costs more than 15M.

Damn McDavid and Drai and their greed not letting us build a solid team.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726170 is a reply to message #726169 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Chiarelli is very popular with other GMs.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726186 is a reply to message #726169 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 17:19

Lucic-Spooner-Kassian
Manning-Petrovic

Rishaug, aka Chia’s Lap Dog, says that the Oilers tried to include Spooner in the deals today too but no dice. We have apparently reached the point where the only return we got for Eberle is worth so little no one will take him for free...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726224 is a reply to message #726186 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 18:30

Lucic-Spooner-Kassian
Manning-Petrovic

Rishaug, aka Chia’s Lap Dog, says that the Oilers tried to include Spooner in the deals today too but no dice. We have apparently reached the point where the only return we got for Eberle is worth so little no one will take him for free...

Ya, this group definitely has a long-term plan that they're working through here and are 100% not just blindly flailing about in the dark.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726193 is a reply to message #726169 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Lucic-Spooner-Kassian
Manning-Petrovic

At least with Petrovic there is an out at the end of the year. Or they can re-sign him for less.

Those other four somehow have term.

Sekera and Russell and Benning add another $11M.

26 for 8 borderline players. (Only the Sekera one can be forgiven probably).

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726172 is a reply to message #726138 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Mark Spector

Quote:

@SportsnetSpec
29m29 minutes ago
More
Told Chiarelli tried to include Ryan Spooner in one of the deals he made Sunday, to no avail.

The Spooner-for-Ryan-Strome deal that seemed regretful at the time is, alas, regretted.

Oh boy, so;
Eberle for Strome/capspace
Stome for Spooner
Capspace not used then wasted on overpaying low end players
Cant give Spooner away

Is PC baracaded in his office, phone in hand, while others are trying to get in and take it away?

Or

Is he just the GM in name only and MacT is back in charge? Collecting 6/7 d-men makes me think this might not be far from the truth.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726173 is a reply to message #726172 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Fire this clown before he can do any more damage, you idiots. Jesus @#%%ing Christ.

It is almost like this #@#@R$#@ knows he's getting fired and is trying to just burn as many bridges as possible on his way out. SOMEONE #@%#ING STOP HIM!!

[Updated on: Sun, 30 December 2018 17:55]

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726181 is a reply to message #726173 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 17:51

Fire this clown before he can do any more damage, you idiots. Jesus @#%%ing Christ.

It is almost like this #@#@R$#@ knows he's getting fired and is trying to just burn as many bridges as possible on his way out. SOMEONE #@%#ING STOP HIM!!

Where did the LottoMax go to?

Chiarelli is fulfilling my dream to crap on my bosses desk on my way out after I win the lottery.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726187 is a reply to message #726138 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Entertaining if nothing else! The money doesn't make sense so there has to be more in the works doesn't there? This looks like a Chia Hail Mary in the dying seconds ! Didn't mind the first trade,looks like there could be a player there, but this one given how mediocre Manning appears to be for 2.25 is a bit of a head scratcher alright. (not to mention the McDavid issue) Didn't mind seeing Caggula moved out although he had his moments and Garrison's days in the NHL are numbered. Shoring up the defence makes sense given the situation,just hope these guys are good enough to do that.

[Updated on: Mon, 31 December 2018 11:00]

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726189 is a reply to message #726138 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

I'm so confused at this one, but like others have said, deck chairs...

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726192 is a reply to message #726138 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

SO apparently we are ~3.2M over the cap now, using LTIR space.

So, need to free that up for Sek to return.

Nuge for Ryan Strome anyone? Maybe Strome just needs to get into a better situation to produce. Former 5th overall pick. He put up 50 points once, not sure if any of you knew that. Right handed shot, maybe can help the PP. Killed penalties earlier this year on a team. Popular in the dressing room.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726196 is a reply to message #726138 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

After hours to think about it, i have a theory about why this might work.

For the record, I don't think Chiarelli is smart enough to plan this and I think he's just making moves hoping somebody will magically be better when they get to the Oilers.

The Oilers have lost 5 straight, but they are still in a good spot. Wouldn't take much for them to get back into the playoff race. So spend some 'spare parts' and go acquire guys that can help them get through this patch of injuries. You may have all your guys back by the start of February, at which point teams are looking to add depth for the playoff run. They can add some salary for a few months, so the contracts become less of an issue. Take a month to figure out which guys are worth keeping, and move the ones that aren't.

Remember, the 3rd pick that got dealt today was acquired at last year's trade deadline for Brandon Davidson. That's how much teams are willing to pay at the deadline.

The 3rd pick is really the only asset that matters that was dealt today. You only have to go back to the last game thread to see some of the same posters whining about this trade dropping trau and dumping on Cagiulia. Garrison and Wideman aren't even replacement level players. It wouldn't take much desperation from another GM to recoup a 3rd pick. And you get better players to hold the fort for a month.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726197 is a reply to message #726196 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lew19  is currently offline Lew19

No Cups

I had this same gut feeling when we traded Scrivens for Kassian, and over the seasons I grew to really like the guy. I can only hope Manning can do the same. The guy does have some character to him (answered the bell with Maroon), and he can play D. I'm hoping by season's end, he replaces Russell and we get a little cap space back. Hard to imagine a team with Manning, but no Lucic ,if we were to rewind the tape to 2 seasons ago.. Funny how the NHL works. Now to find some wing depth....

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726199 is a reply to message #726196 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shoop  is currently offline shoop

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 07:05

The 3rd pick is really the only asset that matters that was dealt today. You only have to go back to the last game thread to see some of the same posters whining about this trade dropping trau and dumping on Cagiulia. Garrison and Wideman aren't even replacement level players. It wouldn't take much desperation from another GM to recoup a 3rd pick. And you get better players to hold the fort for a month.

So you see the benefit of the moves?

Chiarelli knows he has to make the playoffs to keep his job.

These moves have done nothing to hurt the team long-term. As you say the third pick was the only asset that mattered. Easy enough to get it back at the trade deadline. If the Oilers continue to tank and are unquestionably sellers at the TDL then Chia likely won't be in a position to cause any damage. He could easily be fired by then.

The next five game stretch is critical to this team. 3-2 or better coming out of the California trip is the only thing that keeps this team relevant. If these trades work out we will see the results by the San Jose game on the 8th.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726226 is a reply to message #726199 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

shoop wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 06:16

then Chia likely won't be in a position to cause any damage.

You say this like the alternatives are any better. With our luck this team will appoint a 5 man panel of Lowe, McTavish, Howson, Gretzky and newly appointed Vice President of Definitely No Longer Involved in Hockey Ops, Peter Chiarelli, to be the new GM

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726227 is a reply to message #726226 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChasinStanley  is currently offline ChasinStanley

No Cups

Not a man sounding too confident. Also at the start (1:23) he is talking about "knowing about the defenceman's availability" and it almost sounds like he starts to say someone is not coming back "Since..." then he repivots his language.

Renaissance 2015

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726231 is a reply to message #726227 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

When it comes to Petrovic, I don't mind the trade. He's a big, physical, right shot who doesn't bring you much offence but according to his bio has good mobility, is OK defensively and can kill some penalties. All things the Oilers need right now badly. I think he's a definite upgrade on Garrison (who's gone). He is also an upgrade on Wideman, Gravel and Benning. All those guys have been playing, some of whom a decent amount of minutes. Gravel and Benning out of necessity have been on the PK which hasn't been good. The trade is Petrovic for a 3rd (they have 2) and someone elses 6th(Wideman). If he can help stabilize the defence a bit and stop the bleeding, I see it as an OK deal. They have lost 5 games in a row, are in danger of being out of the playoff race, they needed someone. Playing Benning or Wideman or Gravel at the same rate wasn't going to make things better.

For Manning, I don't know. He's a bottom pairing guy, Chia even admitted that. According to his bio, he moves the puck well which is nice but again doesn't produce a lot of points. He as a mean streak which I have NO problem with. I think he is much better than Garrison and Wideman. Probably better than Gravel and maybe Benning. Hard to say about Benning. The cost to get him. It's Caggulia for Manning. At this point, I don't know if it's good. At first glance, it sure doesn't look good. Caggulia is a guy who can score probably 10-15 goals but will probably cost you at least that many if not more defensively and his mistakes are typically the 5 star kind. The guy just doesn't seem to know how to do anything defensively and he's a freaking winger who has the easiest job. If he continues to be a guy who gives up more goals than he scores then maybe it might workout but I don't know if it can. It is definitely not a trade where anyone can say Chia won it right now.

For the injuries. Based on what Chia said, to me it doesn't sound like Russell is close. He's been out for 3 weeks tomorrow, missed 7 games so far and if all Chia will say is he's getting sort of close, tells me he's another week or more away. For Klef, it will also be 3 weeks tomorrow and it was 6-8 weeks so pick the middle and it's another month.

I sure hope these deals work out. The one thing I will agree with Chia totally on is his response on the "big name" dman that Rishaugh keeps asking about. I don't see them being out there at this point and if they are, taking out the fact that Chia doesn't seem to get good value in deals, the cost to get these guys for any team, let alone the Oilers would be ridiculous. It's not happening.

One question I do have is I wonder if with these 2 guys - Petrovic and Manning - coming in, #1 does it mean Benning is on borrowed time. I personally wouldn't be upset to offload him for anything. #2 since rightly or wrongly, Chia and sounds like Hitch as well, likes size and nasty, does being in these 2 guys who are big, physical, nasty guys, also free up say a Kassian? Salary will eventually have to leave the roster and other than skate fairly well, Kassian is a really expensive 4th liner who doesn't score.

[Updated on: Mon, 31 December 2018 13:22]

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726233 is a reply to message #726231 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 13:16

When it comes to Petrovic, I don't mind the trade. He's a big, physical, right shot who doesn't bring you much offence but according to his bio has good mobility, is OK defensively and can kill some penalties. All things the Oilers need right now badly. I think he's a definite upgrade on Garrison (who's gone). He is also an upgrade on Wideman, Gravel and Benning. All those guys have been playing, some of whom a decent amount of minutes. Gravel and Benning out of necessity have been on the PK which hasn't been good. The trade is Petrovic for a 3rd (they have 2) and someone elses 6th(Wideman). If he can help stabilize the defence a bit and stop the bleeding, I see it as an OK deal. They have lost 5 games in a row, are in danger of being out of the playoff race, they needed someone. Playing Benning or Wideman or Gravel at the same rate wasn't going to make things better.

For Manning, I don't know. He's a bottom pairing guy, Chia even admitted that. According to his bio, he moves the puck well which is nice but again doesn't produce a lot of points. He as a mean streak which I have NO problem with. I think he is much better than Garrison and Wideman. Probably better than Gravel and maybe Benning. Hard to say about Benning. The cost to get him. It's Caggulia for Manning. At this point, I don't know if it's good. At first glance, it sure doesn't look good. Caggulia is a guy who can score probably 10-15 goals but will probably cost you at least that many if not more defensively and his mistakes are typically the 5 star kind. The guy just doesn't seem to know how to do anything defensively and he's a freaking winger who has the easiest job. If he continues to be a guy who gives up more goals than he scores then maybe it might workout but I don't know if it can. It is definitely not a trade where anyone can say Chia won it right now.

For the injuries. Based on what Chia said, to me it doesn't sound like Russell is close. He's been out for 3 weeks tomorrow, missed 7 games so far and if all Chia will say is he's getting sort of close, tells me he's another week or more away. For Klef, it will also be 3 weeks tomorrow and it was 6-8 weeks so pick the middle and it's another month.

I sure hope these deals work out. The one thing I will agree with Chia totally on is his response on the "big name" dman that Rishaugh keeps asking about. I don't see them being out there at this point and if they are, taking out the fact that Chia doesn't seem to get good value in deals, the cost to get these guys for any team, let alone the Oilers would be ridiculous. It's not happening.

One question I do have is I wonder if with these 2 guys - Petrovic and Manning - coming in, #1 does it mean Benning is on borrowed time. I personally wouldn't be upset to offload him for anything. #2 since rightly or wrongly, Chia and sounds like Hitch as well, likes size and nasty, does being in these 2 guys who are big, physical, nasty guys, also free up say a Kassian? Salary will eventually have to leave the roster and other than skate fairly well, Kassian is a really expensive 4th liner who doesn't score.

The "big name" guy is a pipe dream for sure at this point. Every move we have made since we knew we were getting McDavid (before that too of course) has been a downgrade to the asset value this team holds. Today, we have next to nothing left to trade. Only a handful of players left on this team are worth anything and we need every single one of them playing their best to have any shot to win a game.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726242 is a reply to message #726233 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 13:35

The "big name" guy is a pipe dream for sure at this point. Every move we have made since we knew we were getting McDavid (before that too of course) has been a downgrade to the asset value this team holds. Today, we have next to nothing left to trade. Only a handful of players left on this team are worth anything and we need every single one of them playing their best to have any shot to win a game.

Also, no money. My understanding is picking up cap yesterday, they likely have to shed cap space to fit Sekera back into the lineup now.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726244 is a reply to message #726242 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

@Rob_Tyvhkowski - It took a while, but in acquiring Brandon Manning the Oilers finally got even with Brandon Manning.

fire.gif

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726245 is a reply to message #726242 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 13:57

Also, no money. My understanding is picking up cap yesterday, they likely have to shed cap space to fit Sekera back into the lineup now.

Or Sekera isn't coming back and they know it.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726246 is a reply to message #726245 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 15:30

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 13:57

Let Sekera and family rehab more at Katzys little flat in LA?

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726248 is a reply to message #726245 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shoop  is currently offline shoop

No Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 22:30

That sounds right and the team just can't announce it.

I love the take of Hawks fans that they dumped a crappy contract on the Oilers (fair) and got Caggiula who they deem a good young player (clueless). At least they get that Garrison is a contract dump. lmao

[Updated on: Mon, 31 December 2018 16:28]

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726250 is a reply to message #726248 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

shoop wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 16:26

I love the take of Hawks fans that they dumped a crappy contract on the Oilers (fair) and got Caggiula who they deem a good young player (clueless). At least they get that Garrison is a contract dump. lmao

Caggiula is a decent young player with upside. We got another 7th dman (just what we need). Dont get me wrong. I still think Chia has gone full numbnuts.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726252 is a reply to message #726250 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 16:46

shoop wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 16:26

Caggiula is a decent young player with upside. We got another 7th dman (just what we need). Dont get me wrong. I still think Chia has gone full numbnuts.

That extra year on Manning’s contract is what was supposed to make him almost impossible to move while he was performing like a middling AHLer. I still don’t get why Chia was fixated (since last year it turns out) on getting this guy with his trash contract. If he really is this dumb, he better get some collar height extensins added to his Oilers track jackets.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726255 is a reply to message #726252 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Yes. But also, somehow, magically, the Oilers have made the same types of terrible moves while having circulated several GMs.

Weird.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726256 is a reply to message #726255 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 17:09

Yes. But also, somehow, magically, the Oilers have made the same types of terrible moves while having circulated several GMs.

Weird.

Loading up on borderline NHLer depth has certainly been the classic oilers move for a long long time. It is insane we are millions over the cap with only a handful of players any other team would want (unless we were taking their garbage in return)

[Updated on: Mon, 31 December 2018 17:16]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726257 is a reply to message #726256 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 17:13

Magnum wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 17:09

Weird.

Loading up on borderline NHLer depth has certainly been the classic oilers move for a long long time. It is insane we are millions over the cap with only a handful of players any other team would want (unless we were taking their garbage in return)

Like our Prime Minister says: we have to look at the root causes.

Another way to say it, is that we need to look at the entrenched causes.

Pages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Review: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #70)
Next Topic:Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #70)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca