This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison outPages (5): [1  2  3  4  5  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726138]
Sun, 30 December 2018 15:50 Go to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Brandon Manning and LH D-man Robin Norell (currently in Sweden) to EDM for Drake Caggiula and Jason Garrison.

From Spector on twitter

I dont get it....

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726139 is a reply to message #726138 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 15:50

Brandon Manning and LH D-man Robin Norell (currently in Sweden) to EDM for Drake Caggiula and Jason Garrison.

From Spector on twitter

I dont get it....

I guess we just need some borderline 3rd pair D around here. Don't have enough.

Caggiula has a nice run early this year, but he has been just awful lately. Wing depth is so bad though that we might miss having some wingers that are able to at least stay awful, because they may be replaced by guys that hover around godawful.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726140 is a reply to message #726139 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Bury him in the Colonial Hockey League. Unreal. Manning. MANNING?!?!

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726142 is a reply to message #726140 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Guess Yamamoto and Puljujarvi are settling in for the year.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726143 is a reply to message #726140 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Note to Chia. We have enough 7th dmen arsehole. Now even thinner on the wing too. What a goof.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726144 is a reply to message #726138 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

This Brandon Manning. Skip to 40 seconds to hear what generally reserved McDavid has to say about him.

This does not seem like a good time to bring in an expensive crap defenseman, especially one that your generational player has distaste for?

Clean house or bust

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726190 is a reply to message #726144 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 15:55

This Brandon Manning. Skip to 40 seconds to hear what generally reserved McDavid has to say about him.

This does not seem like a good time to bring in an expensive crap defenseman, especially one that your generational player has distaste for?

...that would have been my thought, too but according to Mark Spector, McDavid has given his okay to bringing in Manning....

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-latest-moves-show -team-gm-fighting-survival/

..."Our opinion on that play is this: Manning was just a defenceman being beaten wide by McDavid’s blazing speed, and he did what he could to get in McDavid’s way. That opinion is strengthened by the fact that, upon his return, McDavid has ceased to attack the net as recklessly as he did in that rookie season.

That’s a dangerous play that he had to change, and you’ll notice he does not end up inside the net or in a pile with the goalie anymore, the way did when he arrived in the NHL. McDavid glides behind the net now to avoid the collisions that some blame Manning for, but frankly, were inevitable.

Just in case, GM Peter Chiarelli sought McDavid’s blessing on the trade. It was granted by the Oilers captain, perhaps as long ago as last season, when the Oilers first considered acquiring the quiet, Prince George, B.C. native."....

.sounds like Spector trying to stay on Chiarelli's good side, for some weird reason....wonder if all the MSM are still toeing the line....

....on a different tangent, I wonder if Sekera's medical people did not approve of his return to play anytime soon....otherwise, don't understand how the Oilers can take on Manning's contract....

[Updated on: Sun, 30 December 2018 20:00]

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726145 is a reply to message #726138 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

omg, Manning has 1 more year at 2.25M!!!!

I thought he was cheap. argh. Chia as taken on Spooner and Manning who are playing like AHLer's with super expensive deals with a year left. Make it STOP!!!

Can't only be Chia either right now. Chia is on notice. All the OBC must be approving these moves. Fire them all into the sun!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726146 is a reply to message #726145 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

So from McDavid’s perspective, we just traded his best bud on the team for the guy who broke his collarbone. Classy.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726147 is a reply to message #726146 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

It’s like a nightmare that just won’t end.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726149 is a reply to message #726146 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
messier11  is currently offline messier11

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 17:01

So from McDavid’s perspective, we just traded his best bud on the team for the guy who broke his collarbone. Classy.

I was completely ok with the Petro trade, this one makes zero sense...I can’t see how this makes us any better and I would think it makes us worse because we just traded for the only NHL player that I remember Mcdavid talking poorly about. Chia’s got a screw reeeeaaalll loose.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726175 is a reply to message #726146 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 16:01

Don't forget that Manning told Connor he did it deliberately to boot. Seriously, this is #@%#@$% surreal, how badly Chia is spewing up these crap trades. I noticed that even the shill can't defend this garbage.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726176 is a reply to message #726175 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 17:56

nullterm wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 16:01

Don't forget that Manning told Connor he did it deliberately to boot. Seriously, this is #@%#@$% surreal, how badly Chia is spewing up these crap trades. I noticed that even the shill can't defend this garbage.

I too have been looking forward to Shoops take on this.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726148 is a reply to message #726138 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

I'm sure McDavid doesn't care and just wants to win at this point, if his best buddy has to leave so be it. The problem is that this won't help the team.

As for Drake, I think he's had more leash than most guys in the past 3 seasons, happy he's gone to be honest,

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726151 is a reply to message #726148 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 16:08

I'm sure McDavid doesn't care and just wants to win at this point, if his best buddy has to leave so be it. The problem is that this won't help the team.

As for Drake, I think he's had more leash than most guys in the past 3 seasons, happy he's gone to be honest,

Rather have got Corey Potter back.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726154 is a reply to message #726148 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 17:08

Agree, both on the leash extended to the player and on being happy to see him go.

However, dude can score which 10 of our top 12 forwards can’t seem to do (I’m not including Chiasson bc he’s out currently).

This hurts the team further regarding secondary scoring, and is not an upgrade at defence.

Flabbergasted.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726150 is a reply to message #726138 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Again, I'm willing to wait to see what this guy brings, but I'm trying to make sense of the salaries. Between the two trades they added $1 million plus they now only have 21 on the roster. They were already in a tight situation if they were to add Sekera back, now I'm not sure what the plan is unless they are making another trade that trims about $2 million.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726157 is a reply to message #726150 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shoop  is currently offline shoop

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 23:10

Again, I'm willing to wait to see what this guy brings, but I'm trying to make sense of the salaries. Between the two trades they added $1 million plus they now only have 21 on the roster. They were already in a tight situation if they were to add Sekera back, now I'm not sure what the plan is unless they are making another trade that trims about $2 million.

I was wondering that myself. Two real possibilities. Either Sekera is definitely not coming back anytime soon (if at all this year) or there is something bigger in the works.

fwiw I creeped the Blackhawks page on HF on this one. Chicago fans couldn't hate Manning more. They get that Garrison is garbage and don't care if Caggiula turns into anything.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726178 is a reply to message #726157 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 16:18

I was wondering that myself. Two real possibilities. Either Sekera is definitely not coming back anytime soon (if at all this year) or there is something bigger in the works.

fwiw I creeped the Blackhawks page on HF on this one. Chicago fans couldn't hate Manning more. They get that Garrison is garbage and don't care if Caggiula turns into anything.

Manning has been getting healthy scratched a lot from the sound of it. 2.25M for 1 more year for a D that can't play for one of the handful of teams worse than us this year.

Why? Why does it need to be manning who also injured McDavid? Are we being trolled?

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726179 is a reply to message #726178 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 18:01

shoop wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 16:18

Manning has been getting healthy scratched a lot from the sound of it. 2.25M for 1 more year for a D that can't play for one of the handful of teams worse than us this year.

Why? Why does it need to be manning who also injured McDavid? Are we being trolled?

If Chia isn't deliberately trying to sewer this club because he knows he's getting canned, he is just trying the old "throw a ton of @%$% at the wall to see what sticks" approach. If he knew what he was doing, he wouldn't have traded for the one player that his #@%#ing CAPTAIN is unlikely to get along with, a guy who is a complete scrub to boot.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726152 is a reply to message #726138 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Glad to see Chia is feeling the heat... not so glad that all he’s doing is rearranging deck chairs... again... though there is some peace in these not being 1 for 1 deals.

Colour me excited to see home town boy Petrovic in Oiler orange, but Manning?! Maaaaan as professional as Conner is that has got to be one mighty awkward welcoming to the team. Chia trying to get McDavid injured in practice now? (I kid!)

As much as I’ve ragged on Cags, he provided decent secondary scoring which, arguably, is a bigger problem than the defence of this team.

Would assume Yams and JP are staying.

Can the next trade PLEASE be a deal shipping Lucic out? Please? Hockey Gods, are you listening?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726153 is a reply to message #726152 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 16:13

Glad to see Chia is feeling the heat... not so glad that all he’s doing is rearranging deck chairs... again... though there is some peace in these not being 1 for 1 deals.

Colour me excited to see home town boy Petrovic in Oiler orange, but Manning?! Maaaaan as professional as Conner is that has got to be one mighty awkward welcoming to the team. Chia trying to get McDavid injured in practice now? (I kid!)

As much as I’ve ragged on Cags, he provided decent secondary scoring which, arguably, is a bigger problem than the defence of this team.

Can the next trade PLEASE be a deal shipping Lucic out? Please? Hockey Gods, are you listening?

Do you really want a Lucic trade? Likely it's Lucic 50% retained + 3 1st round picks for a 7th round pick.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726155 is a reply to message #726153 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan is currently online NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Ugh. Reminds me of the Mac-T as GM days where he cornered the market on 7th defensemen.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726156 is a reply to message #726155 ]

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 16:17

Ugh. Reminds me of the Mac-T as GM days where he cornered the market on 7th defensemen.

Yeah, people keep saying Chia, but I could easily see MacT doing this same crap. I bet the whole OBC gang is right there with Chia agreeing on these moves.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726158 is a reply to message #726153 ]

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 17:14

Do you really want a Lucic trade? Likely it's Lucic 50% retained + 3 1st round picks for a 7th round pick.

I mean... yes? Those firsts will be run out of town before their ELCs are up, May as well take a shot with a 7th!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726159 is a reply to message #726158 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 16:18

I mean... yes? Those firsts will be run out of town before their ELCs are up, May as well take a shot with a 7th!

Put this conversation on your resume to replace Chia. You'll and a shoe-in :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726160 is a reply to message #726159 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 17:20

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 16:18

Put this conversation on your resume to replace Chia. You'll and a shoe-in :)

Done and done. Glad you can pick up on my sarcasm.

In all seriousness, this can’t be all there is. There’ll be more moves coming to get to 23 on the roster, even if it’s some call ups, and there’s got to be some salary relief come from somewhere.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726161 is a reply to message #726160 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

...according to the Condors website, Joe Gambardella has been called up by the Oilers

https://www.bakersfieldcondors.com/news/gambardella-recalled -by-oilers/

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #731062 is a reply to message #726158 ]
Mon, 18 February 2019 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

According to TSN 1260, Manning is on waivers. when he is sent down to Bakersfield, the cap saving will be 1.063 million.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #731063 is a reply to message #731062 ]
Mon, 18 February 2019 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 18 February 2019 10:14

According to TSN 1260, Manning is on waivers. when he is sent down to Bakersfield, the cap saving will be 1.063 million.

Hope he can be a decent AHL D and doesn't wreck the streak!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #731064 is a reply to message #731063 ]
Mon, 18 February 2019 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Manning clears waivers and then spends the rest of the season watching from the press box in Bakersfield because he can't crack the line up.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #731069 is a reply to message #731064 ]
Mon, 18 February 2019 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Mon, 18 February 2019 10:50

Manning clears waivers and then spends the rest of the season watching from the press box in Bakersfield because he can't crack the line up.

...and next year too. doh

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #731072 is a reply to message #731069 ]
Mon, 18 February 2019 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 18 February 2019 13:07

I keep forgetting that he’s under contract for next season also. Ugh. Bury him and take the just over 1M cap hit instead of a buy out. Please.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #731073 is a reply to message #731072 ]
Mon, 18 February 2019 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 18 February 2019 12:30

I keep forgetting that he’s under contract for next season also. Ugh. Bury him and take the just over 1M cap hit instead of a buy out. Please.

Yeah - Chiarelli couldn't have screwed us over more if he'd full-on been trying to do it.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #731121 is a reply to message #731073 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 18 February 2019 11:34

Yeah - Chiarelli couldn't have screwed us over more if he'd full-on been trying to do it.

He had to cement his legacy on the way out. He wanted to make sure that Oilers fans would be talking about him long after he was gone.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #731136 is a reply to message #731121 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Goose wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 10:07

He had to cement his legacy on the way out. He wanted to make sure that Oilers fans would be talking about him long after he was gone.

Makes you wonder if he was working under cover for the Flames.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #731139 is a reply to message #731136 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 12:48

Goose wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 10:07

Makes you wonder if he was working under cover for the Flames.

Yeah, but who is the guy who hired Chiarelli working for? What about the guy that hired that guy? How deep does the Oilers swamp go? What if Katz is a manchurian candidate?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #731074 is a reply to message #731072 ]
Mon, 18 February 2019 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 18 February 2019 12:30

I’m starting to think we lost the Caggiula trade.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #731065 is a reply to message #731063 ]
Mon, 18 February 2019 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 18 February 2019 10:14

Break all the collarbones you want down there Brandon!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #731068 is a reply to message #731063 ]
Mon, 18 February 2019 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 18 February 2019 11:14

Absolutely. Also I get the overabundance of dmen with Reg back, but I’m surprised that they didn’t send JP down with all the chatter of late. Perhaps a deal is in the works...

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Pages (5): [1  2  3  4  5  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Review: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #70)
Next Topic:Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #70)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca