This day on April 20
None

Happy Birthday To: Nesticle, goffer48, The Goat, HezzyB, Oilbleeder, thesituation, Patorious

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for PetrovicPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726096]
Sun, 30 December 2018 12:00 Go to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

According to Bob:

Quote:

FLA trades Alex Petrovic to EDM for Chris Wideman and a draft pick.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/107944816688009625 7?s=19

Petrovic is probably an upgrade on Wideman, given that Wideman isnt good. But why are the Oilers trading a 3rd round pick in a move that isnt gojng to remotely save this season?

ETA: oh hey and Petrovic is a UFA. Even better.

[Updated on: Sun, 30 December 2018 12:06]

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726098 is a reply to message #726096 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

So essentially a 3rd and a 6th for a guy who can play 15-20m a night? I'm OK with that.

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726099 is a reply to message #726096 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

From a year ago.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/therattrick.com/2017/11/26/flori da-panthers-trading-alex-petrovic-seems-ideal/amp/

Haha. Loved how they figured Petrovic and a 2nd would be enoughto get Nuge. The reporter should know Chia prefers 1 for 1’s.

Not to promising. Sounds like an older Reinhart.

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726100 is a reply to message #726099 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?filter=Y& ;pid=111629

...well, he shoots right and is from Edmonton, so he won't be surprised that Edmonton has a lot of darkness in January....couldn't replace a guy like Mark Pysyk as a bottom pairing defenseman for the Panthers, so I'm not expecting much of an upgrade from Wideman....hoping for the best, but prepared for no real difference...another move made out of desperation, not need....

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726103 is a reply to message #726100 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shoop  is currently offline shoop

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 19:21

...well, he shoots right and is from Edmonton, so he won't be surprised that Edmonton has a lot of darkness in January....couldn't replace a guy like Mark Pysyk as a bottom pairing defenseman for the Panthers, so I'm not expecting much of an upgrade from Wideman....hoping for the best, but prepared for no real difference...another move made out of desperation, not need....

No need? The Oilers desperately need an upgrade on defence. Petrovic may not be great but he's definitely better than Wideman.

I'd try him on the top pairing for a little while (2 RHD on the first pairing but for now they are overloaded with guys who can play on the right side).

Petrovic - Larsson
Nurse - Jones
Gravel - Benning

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726121 is a reply to message #726103 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

shoop wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 12:43

GabbyDugan wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 19:21

No need? The Oilers desperately need an upgrade on defence. Petrovic may not be great but he's definitely better than Wideman.

I'd try him on the top pairing for a little while (2 RHD on the first pairing but for now they are overloaded with guys who can play on the right side).

Petrovic - Larsson
Nurse - Jones
Gravel - Benning

They both shoot right and are stay at home defenceman who don't contribute much to the breakout from our own zone. Makes the left side an easy breakout for the opposition coming back. Horrible idea. Overloaded with guys who can play the right side? I have a different opinion to that.

He has 5 goals in 256 games so he is not an offensive contributor. He has some size, which we need- hopefully he can use it.

Otherwise, a desperation move to make it look like someone in the front office has been working over the holidays.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726110 is a reply to message #726100 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 11:21

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?filter=Y& ;amp ;pid=111629

Even if Petro is the same skill level as Wideman, he'll be better just because of his size, Wideman got manhandled last game, he was absolutely useless on loose pucks and man to man.

This is the golden time of every trade, you know whats leaving .. but you're unsure of what's coming back, the smallest hope burns brightly in the Oilsphere darkness. ..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726101 is a reply to message #726096 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Why the $@$$ is Chia still being allowed to make trades?!?

P.S.: According to Matheson, there may be more trades coming. Good God. icon_dead

[Updated on: Sun, 30 December 2018 12:30]

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726111 is a reply to message #726101 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 11:22

P.S.: According to Matheson, there may be more trades coming. Good God. icon_dead

eek .. please someone take away that guy's phone...

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726112 is a reply to message #726111 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 13:18

....take away Matheson's or Chiarelli's phone...or both???...

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726114 is a reply to message #726112 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 12:26

....take away Matheson's or Chiarelli's phone...or both???...

Chia Pete!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726133 is a reply to message #726111 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Too late. We are screwed.

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726134 is a reply to message #726133 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 15:43

Too late. We are screwed.

Good lord. Did the team really just send the guy with 5th most goals this year away for another low points, 6/7 defenceman? Good god. Make it stop.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726104 is a reply to message #726096 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

How valuable is a 3rd rounder though? DIdn't we give one up to hire Chia? Not that valuable, clearly :)

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726106 is a reply to message #726096 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

Also taking on 950K (Widewan's salary was 1.0MM for reference). So Wideman + a 3rd + 950K in cap relief for a 15 pt, 3rd pairing defensive d-man who is sporadically injured and never played more than 67 games in a season, and who is currently having his worst year as a pro.

If he can take a semi-regular shift on the third pairing then he is an upgrade over Wideman, but this is clearly another overpay by an increasingly panicked PC.

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726107 is a reply to message #726106 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I had the displeasure of going to the last 2 Oilers home games and Wideman was a freaking train wreck. He's not a full time NHLer, maybe a #7. I don't pretend to know a ton about Petrovic other than what you read about him in his bio. He supposedly has good mobility, he's big, right handed, has some shut down abilities and can be on your PK. I know he doesn't give you any offence but with how banged up the Oilers defence is, I am just looking for someone who can give you even OK mins every night even in the 3rd pair.

I got into a twitter debate with a few Oilers bloggers who of course are against the trade saying Wideman is the much better player and he is an average 5 on 5 defender. They of course have "STATS" to back it up. I'd love to know if these are NHL stats or AHL stats because from what I have seen, Wideman gets CRUSHED defensively all the time. Routinely gets walked, out muscled or is in the wrong position defensively. IN the brief time he was an Oiler, he was the primary culprit on at least a goal or 2 a night. So I don't know what these guys saw or how they manipulated their numbers but I don't know how they can say we was even mediocre.

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726108 is a reply to message #726107 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 20:06

I had the displeasure of going to the last 2 Oilers home games and Wideman was a freaking train wreck. He's not a full time NHLer, maybe a #7. I don't pretend to know a ton about Petrovic other than what you read about him in his bio. He supposedly has good mobility, he's big, right handed, has some shut down abilities and can be on your PK. I know he doesn't give you any offence but with how banged up the Oilers defence is, I am just looking for someone who can give you even OK mins every night even in the 3rd pair.

Agreed that Wideman is not a full time NHLer.

A 5/6 D for an AHL D and a 3rd rounder. When the team has played horribly because the D was subpar I'm not really sure what the issue is.

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726113 is a reply to message #726107 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 14:06

I got into a twitter debate with a few Oilers bloggers who of course are against the trade saying Wideman is the much better player and he is an average 5 on 5 defender. They of course have "STATS" to back it up. I'd love to know if these are NHL stats or AHL stats because from what I have seen, Wideman gets CRUSHED defensively all the time. Routinely gets walked, out muscled or is in the wrong position defensively. IN the brief time he was an Oiler, he was the primary culprit on at least a goal or 2 a night. So I don't know what these guys saw or how they manipulated their numbers but I don't know how they can say we was even mediocre.

A few thoughts
- agree on wideman, he hasnt looked good
- I think I read he had 57 mins of total ice time as an oiler; one take, not enough to get a good read on him, another take, in just that short time he didnt look good so why wait to move on
- I know little of Petro, remember him fighting Kane twice, maybe even three times, in one game.
- read two comparisons to Gryba, dont like that

Overall this is a "meh" trade from me, saw nothing in Wideman to tell me he would be more than a 6/7. Petro has been no more than that this year it seems.
The added third means nothing at this point
TSN had him on their trade bait deadline list but I cant remember where, at least someone thinks he was good enough to go as a rental somewhere.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726109 is a reply to message #726096 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looch  is currently offline Looch

No Cups

I personally know Petro. Good guy who will throw down with just about anybody on and off the ice when hes fired up. In junior, this guy threw haymakers and his body in front of some heavy shots. Petro will sacrifice his body to keep the puck out of the net and knows how to play with heart. He's got sort of an Ethan Moreau type demeanor. I hope he injects a little life into our backend

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726115 is a reply to message #726096 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Oilers are giving up a lot of picks, which isn't great. But we got the better NHLer here.

I think its reactionary to complain (I'm seeing a lot of it), but I can't be too upset about this. Petrovic is an experienced NHLer with some good years left, RH shot, can play Top-6 and move into Top-4 in a pinch.

He is better than Wideman.
He is better than Garisson.
He is better than Gryba.
He is better than Rinehart.

He doesn't bring much for offense, but hopefully he can provide a little stability.

For now I imagine:

Nurse / Larsson
Jones / Petrovic
Gravel / Benning

When healthy, I see:

Klefbom / Larsson
Nurse / Petrovic
Sekera / Russell
Gravel

AHL: Bear, Jones, Garisson

This summer I wouldn't mind seeing Bear and Jones replace Sekera and Russell and upgrading the spot Petrovic is filling.

Petrovic isn't world class, but he's better than everyone people are comparing him to and complaining about. He does make them a little deeper, but just not enough.

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726124 is a reply to message #726115 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 20:34

When healthy, I see:

Klefbom / Larsson
Nurse / Petrovic
Sekera / Russell
Gravel

That could work. Although I would prefer to keep Jones as the 7D.

Jones has been playing unquestionably better than Gravel. Why not keep him up?

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726127 is a reply to message #726124 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

shoop wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 14:46

mightyreasoner wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 20:34

When healthy, I see:

Klefbom / Larsson
Nurse / Petrovic
Sekera / Russell
Gravel

That could work. Although I would prefer to keep Jones as the 7D.

Jones has been playing unquestionably better than Gravel. Why not keep him up?

If Jones or Bear are in the NHL, I want them playing. I don't want them in the pressbox.

Gravel is more suited for that role of veteran moving in and out of the lineup. You don't risk his development or ceiling by having him sit out long periods of time. Worst thing for prospects is to not be playing, either because of injury or sitting in the pressbox.

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726131 is a reply to message #726127 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 22:16

If Jones or Bear are in the NHL, I want them playing. I don't want them in the pressbox.

Gravel is more suited for that role of veteran moving in and out of the lineup. You don't risk his development or ceiling by having him sit out long periods of time. Worst thing for prospects is to not be playing, either because of injury or sitting in the pressbox.

With the health of this team would Jones really be sitting for long periods of time?

On the off-chance this team has our true top 6 D ready to play all at the same time for an extended period Hitch is smart. Smart enough to give the D an odd night off here and there if the Oilers catch an unexpected bout of the healthy D. Enough to keep Jones for sitting out for extended periods.

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726213 is a reply to message #726115 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

mightyreasoner wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 12:34

Oilers are giving up a lot of picks, which isn't great. But we got the better NHLer here.

I think its reactionary to complain (I'm seeing a lot of it), but I can't be too upset about this. Petrovic is an experienced NHLer with some good years left, RH shot, can play Top-6 and move into Top-4 in a pinch.

He is better than Gryba.

He doesn't bring much for offense, but hopefully he can provide a little stability.

For now I imagine:

Nurse / Larsson
Jones / Petrovic
Gravel / Benning

When healthy, I see:

Klefbom / Larsson
Nurse / Petrovic
Sekera / Russell
Gravel

This summer I wouldn't mind seeing Bear and Jones replace Sekera and Russell and upgrading the spot Petrovic is filling.

Petrovic isn't world class, but he's better than everyone people are comparing him to and complaining about. He does make them a little deeper, but just not enough.

I don't doubt there's some anti-Chia sentiment to the negative reaction around the trade. But to me it boils down to where you think this team is today. If you think that they are on the edge of being a competitive team (and by that I mean not just squeaking into a wildcard spot), then go ahead and make moves that marginally improve the team. But if you're like me, and you think this team is further away than that, then this move makes no sense.

I posted it in another thread, but in a season where McDavid, Drai, RNH are on pace to score 27 more goals than they did last year, the team is actually on pace to score 1 goal less. The rest of this roster is not remotely good enough, imo.

That 3rd round pick might not be ready for 3+ years, if ever, but that's exactly the time horizon that I think the Oilers should be looking at right now.

Those defence pairings are exactly what the Oilers have been doing for over a decade. Taking guys and slotting them in above their ability and hoping that it works out. Sekera is a total question mark, but I get that you can't move on from him, and I think you projecting him onto the 3rd pairing makes a lot of sense. But then you've got a 3rd pairing defenceman in Russell or Petrovic (or Manning I guess now),playing up a pair with a guy in Nurse that I think is a #4 at this point. Regardless of how you configure it at this point, you're just plugging holes at this point, so giving up assets to do that doesn't really appeal to me.

[Updated on: Mon, 31 December 2018 11:50]

Oilers Goal Differential

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #741720 is a reply to message #726115 ]
Tue, 20 August 2019 19:11 Go to previous message

No Cups

Meh, I stand by most of this. He definitely couldn't do Top-4 anymore, and really never caught on in Edmonton. I was fine letting him walk. But he was better than a lot of the alternatives we were dressing at the time. I always at least *understood* this trade.

That Caggiula for Manning trade will never be able to be defended, never made a lick of sense, and I wasn't even a Caggiula fan.

mightyreasoner wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 13:34

He is better than Gryba.

For now I imagine:

Nurse / Larsson
Jones / Petrovic
Gravel / Benning

When healthy, I see:

Klefbom / Larsson
Nurse / Petrovic
Sekera / Russell
Gravel

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726116 is a reply to message #726096 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Also: I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Matt Benning. I think his days are numbered since he demonstrated he was unable to seize a Top-4 role.

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726117 is a reply to message #726116 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 20:38

Also: I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Matt Benning. I think his days are numbered since he demonstrated he was unable to seize a Top-4 role.

I hope so.

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726118 is a reply to message #726116 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

mightyreasoner wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 14:38

I was just about to reply to your other post with a similar comment.

I am done with Benning, he is showing zero growth and I dont have any faith he belongs, or will belong, in an NHL top 6.

If Petro can competently replace any of the guys you have mentioned, Garrison, Wideman and Benning that I will be happy with the trade.
If he happens to be better than Gravel, who has been a pleasant surprise overall, than the trade is a win.

Given that the Oilers need to find a way to build a proper competitive sooner than later I am fine with trading picks that have a low chance of helping ever, forget about in the next 3 years. Dont waste them but if they are the tipping point for a trade that makes the team better then do it.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726200 is a reply to message #726118 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018

Given that the Oilers need to find a way to build a proper competitive sooner than later I am fine with trading picks that have a low chance of helping ever, forget about in the next 3 years. Dont waste them but if they are the tipping point for a trade that makes the team better then do it.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm all for moving draft picks to make this team more competitive. But that's not what's happening here. Swapping marginal 3rd pairing defencemen is not going to move the needle.

I get that this will be an unpopular opinion among some around here but the Oilers are not a 3rd pairing defenceman away from being competitive. This team is 3 years away from being competitive and the sooner the organization realizes that, the better.

And the fact that 3rd round picks rarely pan out isnt an argument to just ship them off as sweeteners in random trades for rentals in a season that the Oilers are not likely to even make the playoffs. It's the opposite actually and you should be stockpiling as many of them as you possibly can at this point to try to get some value out of the draft beyond a high first round pick.

[Updated on: Mon, 31 December 2018 08:20]

Oilers Goal Differential

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #741633 is a reply to message #726118 ]
Mon, 19 August 2019 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Things didn't work out for Petrovic, but he still has some hope. After proving he was no match for Matt Benning's compete level, he's earned a PTO with the Bruins.

https://www.tsn.ca/report-former-oilers-panthers-d-alexander -petrovic-signs-pto-with-boston-bruins-1.1352941

He couldn't help his home town team. I will be amazed if he helps the Bruins.

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #741682 is a reply to message #741633 ]
Tue, 20 August 2019 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 19 August 2019 11:46

Things didn't work out for Petrovic, but he still has some hope. After proving he was no match for Matt Benning's compete level, he's earned a PTO with the Bruins.

https://www.tsn.ca/report-former-oilers-panthers-d-alexander -petrovic-signs-pto-with-boston-bruins-1.1352941

So glad PC burned a 3rd on that deal.....

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #741683 is a reply to message #741682 ]
Tue, 20 August 2019 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 20 August 2019 01:28

Straight up one for one deals are so boring though. We gave the marginally more useful player (wideman could at least complete a pass), it was only fair that we add.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #741688 is a reply to message #741683 ]
Tue, 20 August 2019 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 20 August 2019 07:11

Straight up one for one deals are so boring though. We gave the marginally more useful player (wideman could at least complete a pass), it was only fair that we add.

Pretty incredible that in a short spurt of panic, Peter Chiarelli gave up Drake Caggiula, Jason Garrison, Chris Wideman and a third round pick for two guys who played only 17 games between them in Petrovic and Manning.

Garrison and Wideman both combined for only one more NHL game last year after that, but still...we traded for two other guys who weren't NHL calibre any more (and who'd both been healthy scratched multiple times) and gave up an NHL-calibre winger and a third round pick. And on top of that, we're stuck with Manning's dreadful contract for another year yet. Just terrible.

Caggiula isn't a great player, but he would still easily be in our top 12 up front - and hilariously, he's $750K cheaper than Manning.

Were these the moves that had Terry Jones calling Chiarelli a genius?

[Updated on: Tue, 20 August 2019 09:16]

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #741691 is a reply to message #741688 ]
Tue, 20 August 2019 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 20 August 2019 09:11

Pretty incredible that in a short spurt of panic, Peter Chiarelli gave up Drake Caggiula, Jason Garrison, Chris Wideman and a third round pick for two guys who played only 17 games between them in Petrovic and Manning.

Garrison and Wideman both combined for only one more NHL game last year after that, but still...we traded for two other guys who weren't NHL calibre any more (and who'd both been healthy scratched multiple times) and gave up an NHL-calibre winger and a third round pick. And on top of that, we're stuck with Manning's dreadful contract for another year yet. Just terrible.

Caggiula isn't a great player, but he would still easily be in our top 12 up front - and hilariously, he's $750K cheaper than Manning.

Well, I think we did win a game or 2 after those moves. ANd Hitch was thanking baby jesus for his new cycle stoppers.

It's not Chia or Jones' fault that Toby didn't do his part and get 10-12 goals.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #741694 is a reply to message #741691 ]
Tue, 20 August 2019 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 20 August 2019 10:20

Well, I think we did win a game or 2 after those moves. ANd Hitch was thanking baby jesus for his new cycle stoppers.

Here's the game log for Alex Petrovic - almost as rosy as you remembered - we went 2-2 in this first four games.

Mon 12/31 vs WPG L 3-4
Wed 1/2 @ ARI W 3-1
Sat 1/5 @ LA L 0-4
Sun 1/6 @ ANA W 4-0
Tue 1/8 @ SJ L 2-7
Tue 1/22 vs DET L 2-3
Wed 2/13 @ PIT L 1-3
Fri 2/15 @ CAR L 1-3
Sat 2/16 @ NYI L 2-5

2-7 overall! What a trade!

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #741695 is a reply to message #741694 ]
Tue, 20 August 2019 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 20 August 2019 11:23

Here's the game log for Alex Petrovic - almost as rosy as you remembered - we went 2-2 in this first four games.

Mon 12/31 vs WPG L 3-4
Wed 1/2 @ ARI W 3-1
Sat 1/5 @ LA L 0-4
Sun 1/6 @ ANA W 4-0
Tue 1/8 @ SJ L 2-7
Tue 1/22 vs DET L 2-3
Wed 2/13 @ PIT L 1-3
Fri 2/15 @ CAR L 1-3
Sat 2/16 @ NYI L 2-5

If only Terry Jones had focused on calling McDavid and Draisatl wussies instead of complimenting Chiarelli. He needs to remember what he is best at.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #741697 is a reply to message #741695 ]
Tue, 20 August 2019 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 20 August 2019 11:36

Mon 12/31 vs WPG L 3-4
Wed 1/2 @ ARI W 3-1
Sat 1/5 @ LA L 0-4
Sun 1/6 @ ANA W 4-0
Tue 1/8 @ SJ L 2-7
Tue 1/22 vs DET L 2-3
Wed 2/13 @ PIT L 1-3
Fri 2/15 @ CAR L 1-3
Sat 2/16 @ NYI L 2-5

If only Terry Jones had focused on calling McDavid and Draisatl wussies instead of complimenting Chiarelli. He needs to remember what he is best at.

He's trying to do too much. It's a team game. Teams win by everyone doing their part. The Oilers have too many media sycophants and not enough media grit.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #741699 is a reply to message #741697 ]
Tue, 20 August 2019 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 20 August 2019 12:42

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 20 August 2019 11:36

Mon 12/31 vs WPG L 3-4
Wed 1/2 @ ARI W 3-1
Sat 1/5 @ LA L 0-4
Sun 1/6 @ ANA W 4-0
Tue 1/8 @ SJ L 2-7
Tue 1/22 vs DET L 2-3
Wed 2/13 @ PIT L 1-3
Fri 2/15 @ CAR L 1-3
Sat 2/16 @ NYI L 2-5

He's trying to do too much. It's a team game. Teams win by everyone doing their part. The Oilers have too many media sycophants and not enough media grit.

Go back to your roots Terry.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726130 is a reply to message #726116 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 13:38

I'd be happy if Benning could just give the Oilers solid 3rd pairing mins every night. It's a stretch a lot of nights for him to do even that. When fully healthy, I see the pairings as follows:
Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Sekera - Petrovic

This is assuming that Sekera can play as a 3rd pairing guy. Jones has looked real good, there is definitely a player there but he will have to go down as I do not want him sitting, he needs to play. Garrison just needs to go away. So that leaves you with Gravel and Benning. Honestly, I would have Gravel as my #7. Gravel has surprised me. He's a 6-7 but at least you know what you can get from him. Benning it's a mystery shift to shift. One shift he can look decent, then the next he can't make a simple pass.

If you can package Benning and if you have to something else to get a usable bottom 6 forward, do it.

Re: Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic [message #726184 is a reply to message #726130 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

I agree with the Benning sentiment. He overplays for his ability and costs the team. Wideman looks like better forward material than defence. He's a good skater with decent puck skills but can't compete in the heavy going so I don't mind the trade for a bigger, stronger player who is likely an upgrade defensively. I guess Chia is stuck with what he can get at this stage to try to stay afloat so it's worth a shot. Too bad about the pick but they hardly ever pan out here anyway.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:MacT the coach of Lokomotiv
Next Topic:Draft Wrap-up
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca