This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - NicholsonPages (9): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726105 is a reply to message #726102 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 12:36

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 01:51

I'm finding that Larsson is absolutely terrible at predicting what Nurse is going to do. Not sure what the deal is. It's certainly not easy, because Nurse can be extremely chaotic in our zone and is constantly losing his checks and running out of position still (do something about it Hitch, please!). Larsson doesn't seem able to help matters much though. It's just a bad pair so far. Russell seems like a way better parter for NUrse, much more aware defensively and able to do a decent job of covering for Nurse.

Could just be too much ice time though. Nurse is playing way too much, Larsson too.

Yeah. Larsson and Nurse don't mesh very well.

Larsson is ideally a 2D and Nurse just isn't a top pairing guy.

The D is still pretty gross when Russell gets back, but it will be better.

I'd like to see Russell and Nurse together, but who do you play with Larsson?

It would probably have to be Gravel right now. Might have to just do it. Larsson+Nurse is not good. So at least you maybe get a decent pair with Nurse-Russell, and hope Larsson can mesh with Gravel. If you're super desperate, I guess you can throw Jones into the fire :)

Edit: oh, missed the D pairs from practice. I guess Jones into the fire it is! lol

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Send a private message to this user  

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726174 is a reply to message #726105 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

....playoffs preserving Chiarelli's job is looking less likely every day...according to this site 23.1% chance the Oilers make the playoffs and plunging fast...and this was BEFORE today's destructive trades took place...

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Western/Pacific/Edmonton. html

....should be a fun game for someone when the Oilers host the Jets New Year's Eve....

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726177 is a reply to message #726174 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 17:54

....playoffs preserving Chiarelli's job is looking less likely every day...according to this site 23.1% chance the Oilers make the playoffs and plunging fast...and this was BEFORE today's destructive trades took place...

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Western/Pacific/Edmonton. html

....should be a fun game for someone when the Oilers host the Jets New Year's Eve....

Chia still has lots of 1st and 2nd round picks to use to try to save his job. Might have to use some to free cap space though.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726075 is a reply to message #726071 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018 18:06

shoop wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018

Can anyone name a defenceman who has played better for the Oilers since Chris Pronger other than Larsson?

You mentioned Sekera.

Klefbom is unquestionably a better player than Larsson. Nurse/Larsson as a top pair have been awful since Klefbom went out.

Jeff Petry was and is a better defenceman than Larsson.

But Petry didn't finish a check that one time. So he made it clear he didn't deserve the 4M price point like Nikitin got :(

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726086 is a reply to message #726021 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lew19  is currently offline Lew19

No Cups

Had to jump in here....This is the most entertainment i've seen Oilers related in a few weeks.

Defence of chia moves, trades, signing.

Talbot for a late 2nd,3rd and a 6th round pick - good move from a former Oilers Hall of Fame GM, who was tossing his old team a bone. Worked great for 156 games, plus a select few this year (lost his starting job to Kosinen) Here's the question, with Talbot UFA, does he get you the same return if we try to trade him today? Highly doubtful, right?

Maroon for Martin Gernat + 4th - Really excellent trade, but that turned into a void in our top line, and J.D. Dudek, who the Oilers haven't even signed. Better asset management on this one, we lost 3 players in this transaction.

Kris Russell signing- Traded Yakupov earlier in the day, and singed Kris to a 3.1 - 1 yr deal. This was Oct. 7th, 2016. Then we had this ... 5/4.5/4/2.5 is annual pay on Russell
— Mark Spector (@SportsnetSpec) June 23, 2017

-Zack Kassian for Ben Scrivens - Another good trade, although Zack's offense has disappeared, and Ben has since retired. A wash as of today. Loved him in the SJ series!

- Eberle for Strome for Spooner - Eberle had to go, no question about it. I was excited for Strome, but the kid just couldn't find his way here. I'd of been ok keeping Strome, as I felt he had a role. But to deal him for Spooner, you've now just washed that trade completely. Spooner doesn't give you much of anything now, or future. And now there's a gaping hole for a decent 3rd line center, which we had just traded!

-Koskinen - great signing, was thought to be pricey at first, but is now worth it's weight in gold. Finally a transaction that only cost us money, and is paying off. But this shouldn't need to be a home run. Many goalies to fill the #2 spot in the NHL, so your margin of error is nil on this one.

Farm - Looks good, but how much of that farm are we going to have to trade away to undue the Lucic signing? Finding a 1st/2nd line scoring winger? Shoring up the D, replacing our 2 UFA goalies in 2019-2020? Those cupboards can be bare, really quick as you need to give something to get something, and a 1 for 1 with any of the guys mentioned above with either the current gm or someone new, will likely cost you farm pieces.

Playoffs - No way this team should of been out of the playoffs for 12 years? If we had someone in charge that can do their job well, we are in the playoffs at least 60% of that time. Bad singing, bad goaltending, bad coaching, whatever it was....still on the people in charges hands (Lowe, MacT, whomever) We make the playoffs once in that time, with a generational player, a goalie playing every min, a reasonably rounded team able to make some noise on the ice. Instead of taking those pieces, and building off that, he took those pieces and undersold them. Moved Hall for Larsson and nothing else. Hall on any other team in the NHL would get you a D, another roster player, and a pick. The guy goes and wins the MVP the very next year to prove he was worth it. Now we can't find anyone to play McDavid's wing, other then our #2 center.

Sure the Oilers were close to winning the conference final, but we got dinked around by the refs in the ANA series, and havent been good since. We've filled holes, with bigger holes. We grab a little depth here n there (Zykov, waiver, then lost to LVK) We run with the same horses that fell short last season, hoping it was just a one off (Lucic, Brodziak,Kassian,Reider,Caguila) Luck out with Chaisson, a PTO walk on with league min salary, and are still grasping a sniff of the playoffs right at Xmas (now outside looking in) If just getting you there grants Chia another go at the helm, then explain to me why you'd burn another year of Connor, Draisitl, RNH,to just go through this again next year? We will have larger holes to fix, and if someone new isn't brought in to fix this heap of crap, then you're trading what little this team has left to just fill more holes you've just again made. So basically what has he done is my question? We all know what he hasn't or isn't doing. But where do you go from here? Me personally, and anyone who is financially tagged to this mess, you think you'd clean house right?
Your roommate, great guy. Sleeps on your couch all day while you go to work. When you get home he leaves a huge mess for you to clean up everyday. Does the dishes, and helps you pay your rent. You let it slide, right. Imagine that same roommate, while still doing the dishes and paying some of your rent goes and takes your car for a drive, and blows the engine. Goes and buys you a bike with little money he has. So now, that same roommate who does a little dishes, and still leaves you mess, just cost you your car, for a 10 speed. Is he still that nice of a guy? Do you keep him around? But he still does the dishes, and still helps pay your rent? Or do you find someone else who will be more responsible with your assets, and if he costs you a car, get's you a bad assed truck, and a case of beer for the effort? Maybe that new roommate introduces you to a lovely female friend of his, who want's to do your dishes, and doesn't put up any noise when she hangs out all the time, eventually costing said roommates spot in the house as the two settle down. Well our current GM in case you didn't guess is the old roommate. Just doing the motions without any real gain. Cost you some pieces, and now you're in a pinch. I'd go and find that new roommate (GM) who can get something for Lucic (if ever humanly possible), or any of the parts that aren't working and not only get you to the playoffs, but you in a spot where you are a contender year in year out!? Do you still defend the old roommate cause he washed a few dishes?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726009 is a reply to message #725995 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

[quote title=shoop wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018 07:54]
g2k wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 23:49

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 15:09

I would certainly be against banning him/her. There is no harm being done here at all.

I do believe there is a degree of troll to his/her contributions here though. But I’m fine with that. Gives us all reason to reaffirm how much of a clown the GM is. I’m always up for that.

Regardless of how “blind” or “irrational” Shoop pretends the disdain is. The fact that this person states the Reinhart trade is the only bad decision the GM has made, tells me all that I really need to know. Grain of salt.

My preferred pronoun is him. rofl

I'm truly not intending to troll. Perhaps you could re-state what I'm saying truthfully?

Nowhere did I ever say that the Rienhart trade is the only bad decision that the GM has made. I used the word 'horrible' to describe the Lucic signing. fwiw that signing is the worst decision Chiarelli has made hands down IMO.

I do agree with you that sweeping out the OBC would be a once in a lifetime move. I also agree with Nicholson that it's playoffs or bust for Chiarelli this season.

If the Oilers make the playoffs how do you still fire him? Two playoff appearances in four seasons. Other than our Hall of Fame former GM Chiarelli is the best GM this team has ever had. Granted KLowe, Tambo and MacT aren't much to compete with, but at least he isn't OBC.

I too took what you were doing the wrong. Just seemed wierd how you chose a losing streak to pump Chia's tires when everyone is screaming for his head. If that's genuinely how you feel I will respect it. Your going to take a lot of crap for it. Welcome to the forum.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726079 is a reply to message #726009 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shoop  is currently offline shoop

No Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018 20:37

I too took what you were doing the wrong. Just seemed wierd how you chose a losing streak to pump Chia's tires when everyone is screaming for his head. If that's genuinely how you feel I will respect it. Your going to take a lot of crap for it. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks. The welcome is appreciated.

Typing on phones I get it, but I'm not sure what you meant with the first sentence.

I get the timing is odd. But the team will have to go on a couple winning streaks to make the playoffs. So maybe I took the thread title too literally? confused2

If the Oilers continue to play this horribly then the Chiarelli deservedly gets fired.

A big part for me is that Chiarelli really does have the Oilers on an upward trajectory. He inherited a really mixed back. McDavid was obviously the best part of what he walked into, but the farm system was horrible and there were serious problems with the core. Making the playoffs this year is something we had a real shot at a couple weeks ago. Now? Not so much.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726081 is a reply to message #726079 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

shoop wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018 19:57

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018 20:37

Thanks. The welcome is appreciated.

Typing on phones I get it, but I'm not sure what you meant with the first sentence.

I get the timing is odd. But the team will have to go on a couple winning streaks to make the playoffs. So maybe I took the thread title too literally? confused2

If the Oilers continue to play this horribly then the Chiarelli deservedly gets fired.

A big part for me is that Chiarelli really does have the Oilers on an upward trajectory. He inherited a really mixed back. McDavid was obviously the best part of what he walked into, but the farm system was horrible and there were serious problems with the core. Making the playoffs this year is something we had a real shot at a couple weeks ago. Now? Not so much.

Was supposed to say I took what you were doing the wrong way. Yes phones suck. I much rather be incomprehensible with a keyboard.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726093 is a reply to message #726079 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

shoop wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018 18:57

The trajectory part is where we disagree.

Standings points are great, and the Oilers still have a shot at making the playoffs. But even if they do, I don't think they're on any kind of upward trajectory.

In 17/18, the Oilers scored 234GF and gave up 263GA, for a goal differential of -29.

After today's debacle, they are on pace to score 233GF and give up 263GA, for a goal differential of -30.

And this is with McDavid on pace to score 45 goals and 121 points, Draisaitl on pace to score 41 goals and 101 points and RNH on pace for 28 goals and 73 points. The rest of the roster is contributing significantly less than last year.

If the Oilers continue on their current pace and end the season -30, there's no chance they make the playoffs. Heck, even if they break even the rest of the season and finish -14, I don't think there's much chance they make the playoffs.

I'm not sure where the goals are going to come from to score more goals than they're currently on pace for. The top 3 are pretty much maxed out. And the rest of the roster is not very good. So their only chance is to allow less. Maybe Koskinen can return to being a .970 goalie at home. Or maybe Talbot rediscovers his Vezina calibre form from a couple of years ago. I'm not sold on either one happening. And yes, the defence will improve with the return of Russell and especially Klefbom. But I still don't think that group is good enough.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726010 is a reply to message #725995 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

[quote title=shoop wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018 07:54]
g2k wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 23:49

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 15:09

I would certainly be against banning him/her. There is no harm being done here at all.

I do believe there is a degree of troll to his/her contributions here though. But I’m fine with that. Gives us all reason to reaffirm how much of a clown the GM is. I’m always up for that.

Regardless of how “blind” or “irrational” Shoop pretends the disdain is. The fact that this person states the Reinhart trade is the only bad decision the GM has made, tells me all that I really need to know. Grain of salt.

My preferred pronoun is him. rofl

I'm truly not intending to troll. Perhaps you could re-state what I'm saying truthfully?

Nowhere did I ever say that the Rienhart trade is the only bad decision that the GM has made. I used the word 'horrible' to describe the Lucic signing. fwiw that signing is the worst decision Chiarelli has made hands down IMO.

I do agree with you that sweeping out the OBC would be a once in a lifetime move. I also agree with Nicholson that it's playoffs or bust for Chiarelli this season.

If the Oilers make the playoffs how do you still fire him? Two playoff appearances in four seasons. Other than our Hall of Fame former GM Chiarelli is the best GM this team has ever had. Granted KLowe, Tambo and MacT aren't much to compete with, but at least he isn't OBC.

Correct. My oversight.

You don’t like the Lucic signing and don’t feel Chia had a say in the Reinhart trade.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725895 is a reply to message #725891 ]
Thu, 27 December 2018 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

shoop wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 09:59

Glad to see that you now claim to believe there is blame for this mess beyond Chiarelli. Shero is a really bad example to use fwiw.

What's your choice in this scenario? Set up as a binary option for a reason.

You can swap out the worst of the OBC (KLowe, MacT and WGretzky) from having any influence over decision-making or get rid of Chiarelli. But you can't do both. Which option do you take? Leaving the new GM with the same voices whispering in his ear or give Chiarelli a fresh start. You can probably guess the direction I'd go...

Go read some old threads. Not one person here believes that Chiarelli is solely to blame for this mess. I don't even think he's primarily responsible, that distinction goes to Katz. But I still think he should be fired.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725974 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Fri, 28 December 2018 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Chiarelli's Oilers were a timeout away in 2016-2017 from reaching the Conference Finals (thanks McLellan) and now we are sitting here talking about him getting the axe.

He should be fired based on that very important off-season where he didn't do anything to improve the team at all. You make it to 2nd Round, great, , you still need pieces to move forward. That was the time to do something, he actually thought his roster would just all improve automatically.

The Eberle trade didn't even bother me, still doesn't to this day. The Benoit Pouliot buyout bothered me more. Him spending all summer to extend McDavid and Draisaitl was ridiculous.

He should get heat for giving Drai $8.5 million, I think it's about $2 million a year overpay if you can't drive your own line.

I just don't know what letting Chiarelli go now would do for the team, whoever comes in is handcuffed with a cap team and bad players that no one wants. For some reason right now just sending Lowe and MacTavish packing even though "they have nothing to do with hockey operations" would satisfy me.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725975 is a reply to message #725974 ]
Fri, 28 December 2018 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Fri, 28 December 2018 14:26

Chiarelli's Oilers were a timeout away in 2016-2017 from reaching the Conference Finals (thanks McLellan) and now we are sitting here talking about him getting the axe.

I still think the Oilers were defensive depth and a couple coaching adjustments away from winning a weak division in 2017, but your point stands. They almost had an opportunity to have an opportunity to do something special 19 months ago and now the situation looks very desperate.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725977 is a reply to message #725975 ]
Fri, 28 December 2018 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 28 December 2018 14:28

I still think the Oilers were defensive depth and a couple coaching adjustments away from winning a weak division in 2017, but your point stands. They almost had an opportunity to have an opportunity to do something special 19 months ago and now the situation looks very desperate.

It still cracks me up that watching them lose in the second round took Chia from "they're not ready" to they're Cup contenders - even if we seriously downgrade at wing.

I really believe they did some idiotic projections thinking Caggiula and Slepyshev were magically going to be 50-point players after both had something like 3 points each in the playoffs...Oh, and Strome was going to be another 50 point guy too...

I think they were counting on Puljujarvi and Yamamoto magically being NHL scorers as teenagers too...

Is there any team in the league that makes more bad bets?

[Updated on: Fri, 28 December 2018 14:58]

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725989 is a reply to message #725977 ]
Fri, 28 December 2018 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 28 December 2018 13:55

It still cracks me up that watching them lose in the second round took Chia from "they're not ready" to they're Cup contenders - even if we seriously downgrade at wing.

I really believe they did some idiotic projections thinking Caggiula and Slepyshev were magically going to be 50-point players after both had something like 3 points each in the playoffs...Oh, and Strome was going to be another 50 point guy too...

I think they were counting on Puljujarvi and Yamamoto magically being NHL scorers as teenagers too...

The Oilers have been betting on young, yet to mature, players magically turning into consistent point producers and all around solid hockey players for the last decade. It - is - not - working. And it won't start either. And yet Oilers management keep repeating the same stupid fundamental mistake season after season.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725991 is a reply to message #725989 ]
Fri, 28 December 2018 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 28 December 2018 20:48

Adam wrote on Fri, 28 December 2018 13:55

The Oilers have been betting on young, yet to mature, players magically turning into consistent point producers and all around solid hockey players for the last decade. It - is - not - working. And it won't start either. And yet Oilers management keep repeating the same stupid fundamental mistake season after season.

It’s almost like there are systemic issues with the very core of the Oilers organization that are having a negative impact on the on ice product.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726191 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Holy hell

Zain @ZainL96
Point totals for everyone on the team except the top 5 scorers 😂😂😂

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dvt0GSKUUAA4wBL.jpg

Would have been easy to guess we were at the bottom, but the numbers add a lot to how bad it really is.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726202 is a reply to message #726191 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Jason Gregor states Chiarelli "has failed"....

https://oilersnation.com/2018/12/31/gdb-game-notes-peter-chi arelli-has-done-the-impossible-with-edmonton-oilers/

..."This isn’t the players’ fault. The GM’s job is to build the roster and make the team competitive. The results are proof Chiarelli has failed."...

....Gregor is pretty close to Main Stream Media in Edmonton, although he occasionally has avoided being just another Oiler mouthpiece.....here's hoping the rest of the local scribes and talking heads have finally seen what has been obvious to most people that regularly post here at oilfans.com for some time....

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726203 is a reply to message #726202 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 16:22

..."This isn’t the players’ fault. The GM’s job is to build the roster and make the team competitive. The results are proof Chiarelli has failed."...

....Gregor is pretty close to Main Stream Media in Edmonton, although he occasionally has avoided being just another Oiler mouthpiece.....here's hoping the rest of the local scribes and talking heads have finally seen what has been obvious to most people that regularly post here at oilfans.com for some time....

The last five games Gregor is correct.

If the Oilers get four points or less in their next five games then Chia is probably gone before the Florida game on the 10th. If turn in even a 3-2 record over those five games Chia probably saves his job to the end of the season.

Making the playoffs this season earns Chia the opportunity to finish his contract.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726205 is a reply to message #726203 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 09:33

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 16:22

The last five games Gregor is correct.

If the Oilers get four points or less in their next five games then Chia is probably gone before the Florida game on the 10th. If turn in even a 3-2 record over those five games Chia probably saves his job to the end of the season.

Making the playoffs this season earns Chia the opportunity to finish his contract.

You don’t reward inadequacy. Chia should have been fired long ago. No five game segment should determine the fate of a GM or coach.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726204 is a reply to message #726202 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Chiarelli’s got a presser this morning. This could rival the famous Lowe/MacTavish one if a couple of the other reporters follow Gregor’s lead...

Here’s hoping they have the courage to actually do their jobs today...

It’s at 10:30 am. I am tied up so hopefully someone can provide some snapshots and commentary!

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726206 is a reply to message #726204 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 09:46

Chiarelli’s got a presser this morning. This could rival the famous Lowe/MacTavish one if a couple of the other reporters follow Gregor’s lead...

Here’s hoping they have the courage to actually do their jobs today...

It’s at 10:30 am. I am tied up so hopefully someone can provide some snapshots and commentary!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4boYqPDKlys

for anyone that can watch dumdum be dumb.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726211 is a reply to message #726206 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shad1216  is currently offline Shad1216

No Cups

I just watched the presser.

That was pretty intense. I don't think I've ever seen a guy so nervous under scrutiny (deservedly so).

He threw Caggiula under the bus, which was sad. Like it or not, you don't throw a guy under the bus once they've been shipped off to another team.

They may be back someday.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726215 is a reply to message #726211 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Shad1216 wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 10:56

That was pretty intense. I don't think I've ever seen a guy so nervous under scrutiny (deservedly so).

He threw Caggiula under the bus, which was sad. Like it or not, you don't throw a guy under the bus once they've been shipped off to another team.

What did he say about the Drake? Missed that part.

I did hear the part about how Manning isn't sexy (neither is Petrovic) and he should bring more offense here than he's showed lately. Feel like I heard that before from Chia.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726217 is a reply to message #726215 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 12:21

I did hear the part about how Manning isn't sexy (neither is Petrovic) and he should bring more offense here than he's showed lately. Feel like I heard that before from Chia.

I just started watching it but "these arent top 4 defenders we have brought in but they will shore up the D"

Stock pile those bottom pairing D, we need a lot of those for sure

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726219 is a reply to message #726217 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 11:23

I just started watching it but "these arent top 4 defenders we have brought in but they will shore up the D"

I love how he revealed he was trying to get Manning last year and that is when he got McDavid's permission to trade for him. Manning was mediocre last year, a 3rd pairing D I'd concede, but he's an AHler this year. Did we forget to update the scouting report?

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726225 is a reply to message #726219 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 11:28

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 11:23

I love how he revealed he was trying to get Manning last year and that is when he got McDavid's permission to trade for him. Manning was mediocre last year, a 3rd pairing D I'd concede, but he's an AHler this year. Did we forget to update the scouting report?

Peter was likely afraid to ask McDavid a year later in fear of 97 saying, "You know what Pete? Just don't make any moves anymore.."

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726223 is a reply to message #726215 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 11:21

YEP! Just another clear cut example of Oiler management banking on "hope" that a change of scenery will "magically" bring career year out of a midling player.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726230 is a reply to message #726215 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 18:21

Question "To throw Drake into the deal was that difficult for you?"

Chia "Any time you make a trade for a player that you have time for, like Drake, it's difficult. We felt that we wanted to work from the backend out right now with this problem. We feel that it's incumbent on the other players to pick up the slack."

I did like Chia's commitment to Puljujarvi. Essentially it was Puljujarvi can do produced offensively in the AHL so now he needs to do it at the NHL level.

As a general impression, Chia definitely sounds like a guy who gets that he needs to make the playoffs (at a minimum) to keep his job. It also felt like these trades were in large part were a big wake the eff up tot he team.

[Updated on: Mon, 31 December 2018 13:08]

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726404 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

From Friedman’s latest 31 thoughts;

10. Three of the players involved in Edmonton’s two Sunday trades — Brandon Manning, Alex Petrovic and Chris Wideman — were subjects of recent emails on the general managers’ trade chain.

When GM Peter Chiarelli says they made these moves with the health of their defence in mind, that says they don’t think they will get much from Andrej Sekera. Surprised they would trade Drake Caggiula. He’s produced on a team that’s struggling to score, and while he may not be a giant, he competes hard. I’m also not convinced the Oilers are finished making moves. There’s a lot at stake. Jesse Puljujarvi’s future is uncertain.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726406 is a reply to message #726404 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 19:38

10. Three of the players involved in Edmonton’s two Sunday trades — Brandon Manning, Alex Petrovic and Chris Wideman — were subjects of recent emails on the general managers’ trade chain.

When GM Peter Chiarelli says they made these moves with the health of their defence in mind, that says they don’t think they will get much from Andrej Sekera. Surprised they would trade Drake Caggiula. He’s produced on a team that’s struggling to score, and while he may not be a giant, he competes hard. I’m also not convinced the Oilers are finished making moves. There’s a lot at stake. Jesse Puljujarvi’s future is uncertain.

One of my worries lately has been Hitch only talking up and working with Pulju to help get him traded.

Fans of other teams he's coached say he's done that before, talk up young guys like crazy as they are treading water until they are moved.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726410 is a reply to message #726406 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 20:40

One of my worries lately has been Hitch only talking up and working with Pulju to help get him traded.

Fans of other teams he's coached say he's done that before, talk up young guys like crazy as they are treading water until they are moved.

I have this same fear. Coupled with Pete’s ‘get to the playoffs or I’m out of a job’ mentality, it’s a definite possibility too.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726434 is a reply to message #726410 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 19:48

I have this same fear. Coupled with Pete’s ‘get to the playoffs or I’m out of a job’ mentality, it’s a definite possibility too.

I'm not even completely against the idea of trading Puljujarvi if the return was right. It isn't certain he's going to live up to his potential, and if you got a big enough offer with something coming back that was a little more certain, even if the ceiling wasn't quite so high, then maybe it's worth doing.

But I don't trust the current GM to make that assessment, and get something worth getting. Pretty incredible to already hear rumblings that the Oilers might buy out Spooner this summer...Eberle may only be on pace for a 40 point season this year, but that's still a hell of a lot better than a buyout.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726436 is a reply to message #726434 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 21:41

I'm not even completely against the idea of trading Puljujarvi if the return was right. It isn't certain he's going to live up to his potential, and if you got a big enough offer with something coming back that was a little more certain, even if the ceiling wasn't quite so high, then maybe it's worth doing.

But I don't trust the current GM to make that assessment, and get something worth getting. Pretty incredible to already hear rumblings that the Oilers might buy out Spooner this summer...Eberle may only be on pace for a 40 point season this year, but that's still a hell of a lot better than a buyout.

So we could turn a 6M guy turning UFA this year into a buyout that lasts for the next 2 years.

That's some amazing asset management.

Spooners 1.33M/season the next 2 years is a perfect match with Pouliot's 1.33M. Next year would be 3M of cap hit from buyouts. Assuming we don't buy Lucic out too.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726438 is a reply to message #726436 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 22:47

Adam wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 21:41

So we could turn a 6M guy turning UFA this year into a buyout that lasts for the next 2 years.

That's some amazing asset management.

Spooners 1.33M/season the next 2 years is a perfect match with Pouliot's 1.33M. Next year would be 3M of cap hit from buyouts. Assuming we don't buy Lucic out too.

Maybe that’s the plan. Bring back Eberle as a UFA.

I kid.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726437 is a reply to message #726434 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 22:41

That’s the problem, Pistol Pete holding the card currently. It’ll be a miracle to move him, it’s just crazy. Eberle on the IR is more effective than Spooner. icon_biggrin

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726459 is a reply to message #726410 ]
Thu, 03 January 2019 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 18:48

Pull your R.V. is going to Carolina for a d-man. Book it.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726462 is a reply to message #726459 ]
Thu, 03 January 2019 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Xombie wrote on Thu, 03 January 2019 12:22

I trust the man to trade scoring for defense. Definitely.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726467 is a reply to message #726462 ]
Thu, 03 January 2019 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 03 January 2019 13:13

Who's getting healthy scratched in Carolina that we'd take a flyer on?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726539 is a reply to message #726467 ]
Sat, 05 January 2019 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 03 January 2019 14:58

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 03 January 2019 13:13

Who's getting healthy scratched in Carolina that we'd take a flyer on?

Apparently Dougie Hamilton is the answer to who's available. I'm sure there are many here that would ignore all questions about why 3 teams have given up on him if he came here.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726475 is a reply to message #726404 ]
Thu, 03 January 2019 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 03 January 2019 02:38

Surprised they would trade Drake Caggiula. He’s produced on a team that’s struggling to score, and while he may not be a giant, he competes hard.

Friedman should learn to use quotes around "produced" when talking about a guy on a 22 point pace ... 29 if he gets the visa straightened out, isn't scratched and is healthy the rest of the season.

Pages (9): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #48)
Next Topic:Oilers select 2nd rd (#62) - Olivier Rodrigue
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca