This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - NicholsonPages (9): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725882 is a reply to message #725881 ]
Thu, 27 December 2018 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 00:05

Ray Shero is a simple one. The last guy that got a generational talent his first cup win. The guy that fleeced us for Hall and could make the playoffs spending 10M less and inheriting a team that was far more of a mess and devoid of talent than what Chia took over here.

Shero had to make a big move to get Hall. We already had him, plus McDavid, plus Drai, plus Nuge.

So yeah, there is a name of a guy that recognized the trend of the league many years earlier than Chia and our gang here. He just had a crappier starting point and has to spend 10-15M below the cap over in Jersey (although, what does 10-15M really get you? A 4th line of Lucic-Spooner-Kassian? guess it's not that much). He was also hired around a month after Chia was so it may actually be a totally realistic name. Aside from his lack of OBC connections i guess.

Of all the guys you could pick to be a change from Chiarelli, you pick a guy that inherited a team on the rise, had 8-10 years of moderate success (he did win a cup), then moved to another team and has struggled for 3-4 years?

Send a private message to this user  

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725886 is a reply to message #725882 ]
Thu, 27 December 2018 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 02:06

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 00:05

Ray Shero is a simple one. The last guy that got a generational talent his first cup win. The guy that fleeced us for Hall and could make the playoffs spending 10M less and inheriting a team that was far more of a mess and devoid of talent than what Chia took over here.

Shero had to make a big move to get Hall. We already had him, plus McDavid, plus Drai, plus Nuge.

So yeah, there is a name of a guy that recognized the trend of the league many years earlier than Chia and our gang here. He just had a crappier starting point and has to spend 10-15M below the cap over in Jersey (although, what does 10-15M really get you? A 4th line of Lucic-Spooner-Kassian? guess it's not that much). He was also hired around a month after Chia was so it may actually be a totally realistic name. Aside from his lack of OBC connections i guess.

Of all the guys you could pick to be a change from Chiarelli, you pick a guy that inherited a team on the rise, had 8-10 years of moderate success (he did win a cup), then moved to another team and has struggled for 3-4 years?

WHy not? He has been trying to convert a team created to play a 100% trap slow game and stole Hall and has been building a group of good puck moving D. At the very least the guy understands how the league was moving, even if he is handcuffed in terms of money he can spend and is unlucky again to have his #1 goalie (who was signed for 7x6M 1 year before he got there) be a disaster, Schneider's career is completely derailed by injuries.

For the pens, his biggest failing was committing to Fleury who was choking every playoffs and killing his team, later admitting he was totally screwed in the head and needed to see a sports psychologist. He still built quality teams though that always had a chance to do something in the playoffs, even if Fleury would turn into a mental case every time.

All we really needed back in 2015 was a GM that understood that speed and skill was taking the league over, not guys like Lucic. Someone that doesn't get slaughtered in every big trade he makes. The deck was pretty stacked for whoever came here if they had any clue what they were doing. Right off the bat, anyone without Chia's baggage would have been able to get Dougie Hamilton to get the high ended offensive RHD we needed, but Chia's conflict with Boston killed that possibility.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 December 2018 10:01]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725888 is a reply to message #725882 ]
Thu, 27 December 2018 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shoop  is currently offline shoop

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 09:06

You forgot to mention a team that's dead last in the league with the reigning Hart trophy winner on the roster.

Apparently blind hatred for Chiarelli is evidenced by a complete lack of knowledge about the NHL in this case.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725890 is a reply to message #725888 ]
Thu, 27 December 2018 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 10:18

You forgot to mention a team that's dead last in the league with the reigning Hart trophy winner on the roster.

Apparently blind hatred for Chiarelli is evidenced by a complete lack of knowledge about the NHL in this case.

You guys obvious have no interest in understanding any argument beyond blindly defending Chia, so I guess I'm wasting my time.

We were in the basement last year too with a Hart winner. Remember how proud we were about being .500 at Christmas like it was some great accomplishment? We were 3 games under .500 a week later. Jersey is 4 games under right now, basically a same situation, except we didn't have the excuse of our #1 goalie being ruined by injuries. Short memories.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725900 is a reply to message #725890 ]
Thu, 27 December 2018 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 10:34

shoop wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 10:18

You guys obvious have no interest in understanding any argument beyond blindly defending Chia, so I guess I'm wasting my time.

We were in the basement last year too with a Hart winner. Remember how proud we were about being .500 at Christmas like it was some great accomplishment? We were 3 games under .500 a week later. Jersey is 4 games under right now, basically a same situation, except we didn't have the excuse of our #1 goalie being ruined by injuries. Short memories.

Shero would be a decent replacement for PC. My biggest concern is that the next two offseasons are key for the team: 2 UFA goalies and the entire bottom half of the roster will be needing new contracts, which has the potential to cripple the team moving forward given PC's penchant for overpaying depth players. He's turned over a lot of depth thus far in his tenure, but many of these signings have been ELC's, 2nd contracts, or reclamation projects, which are, historically, harder to overpay on. I think having Shero -- or anyone from a budget team -- would be a good replacement as they have far greater experience signing and finding value contracts, which we need.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725887 is a reply to message #725881 ]
Thu, 27 December 2018 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 07:05

Shero? You mean the GM of the team that is currently dead freakin' last in the league with the reigning Hart Trophy winner on its roster? icon_lol

Yeah, I'm sure you would be happy with those results under Chiarelli.

Why does Shero have to spend below 10 - 15M below the cap? I thought good quality GMs stood up to management and forced their will on the owner. That was the argument you made when criticizing the Reinhart trade, wasn't it?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725889 is a reply to message #725887 ]
Thu, 27 December 2018 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 10:15

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 07:05

Shero? You mean the GM of the team that is currently dead freakin' last in the team with the reigning Hart Trophy winner on his roster? icon_lol

Yeah, I'm sure you would be happy with those results under Chiarelli.

Why does Shero have to spend below 10 - 15M below the cap? I thought good quality GMs stood up to management and forced their will on the owner. That was the argument you made when criticizing the Reinhart trade, wasn't it?

No, I think Chia had 6 voices whispering Reinhart in his ear and that contributed to that panic move being made when the Hamilton deal was lost. I am definitely someone that shares the blame for this mess beyond Chia.

SHero has to spend below the cap because he GM's in a crappy hockey market and the owner doesn't want his team to be a money waste. I don't think any GM forces an owner to spend many millions more than they are willing to.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725891 is a reply to message #725889 ]
Thu, 27 December 2018 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 17:26

No, I think Chia had 6 voices whispering Reinhart in his ear and that contributed to that panic move being made when the Hamilton deal was lost. I am definitely someone that shares the blame for this mess beyond Chia.

SHero has to spend below the cap because he GM's in a crappy hockey market and the owner doesn't want his team to be a money waste. I don't think any GM forces an owner to spend many millions more than they are willing to.

Glad to see that you now claim to believe there is blame for this mess beyond Chiarelli. Shero is a really bad example to use fwiw.

What's your choice in this scenario? Set up as a binary option for a reason.

You can swap out the worst of the OBC (KLowe, MacT and WGretzky) from having any influence over decision-making or get rid of Chiarelli. But you can't do both. Which option do you take? Leaving the new GM with the same voices whispering in his ear or give Chiarelli a fresh start. You can probably guess the direction I'd go...

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725892 is a reply to message #725891 ]
Thu, 27 December 2018 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

shoop wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 10:59

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 17:26

Glad to see that you now claim to believe there is blame for this mess beyond Chiarelli. Shero is a really bad example to use fwiw.

What's your choice in this scenario? Set up as a binary option for a reason.

You can swap out the worst of the OBC (KLowe, MacT and WGretzky) from having any influence over decision-making or get rid of Chiarelli. But you can't do both. Which option do you take? Leaving the new GM with the same voices whispering in his ear or give Chiarelli a fresh start. You can probably guess the direction I'd go...

You can also clean house of all of the dead weight. Nice to know that your thinking is so limited, though.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725894 is a reply to message #725892 ]
Thu, 27 December 2018 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 18:06

You can also clean house of all of the dead weight. Nice to know that your thinking is so limited, though.

Ahhh, thanks for the compliment.

I did ask the question for a reason. Which do you keep? The worst management minds of the OBC or Chiarelli?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725896 is a reply to message #725894 ]
Thu, 27 December 2018 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 11:10

Ragnarok73 wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 18:06

Ahhh, thanks for the compliment.

I did ask the question for a reason. Which do you keep? The worst management minds of the OBC or Chiarelli?

Getting rid of all OBC is a once in a lifetime opportunity, so I would pick removing them over Chia right now. Chia would eventually be fired as well, but the OBC could rule for another 20 years.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725897 is a reply to message #725896 ]
Thu, 27 December 2018 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Wondering how long this troll is going to get away with this. Anyone that can defend where this team is right now. 3+ years into McDavid isn't a Oilers fan. This is a train wreck. You should change your name to Chia Pet..

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725906 is a reply to message #725897 ]
Thu, 27 December 2018 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 19:37

Wondering how long this troll is going to get away with this. Anyone that can defend where this team is right now. 3+ years into McDavid isn't a Oilers fan. This is a train wreck. You should change your name to Chia Pet..

Anyone that doesn't share your view is a troll. What's the purpose of a message board to discuss the state of the team if only one opinion is allowed? confused2

Goose wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 18:27

Not one person here believes that Chiarelli is solely to blame for this mess. I don't even think he's primarily responsible, that distinction goes to Katz. But I still think he should be fired.

Nobody reasonable should think it's 100% on Chia. That's why I asked the question about the worst of the OBC vs. Chia.

If I had to choose I'd clean house and give Chia another couple years to see what he can do. Simply because that's the path that doesn't mandate another guaranteed year or two out of the playoffs.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725908 is a reply to message #725906 ]
Thu, 27 December 2018 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

shoop wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 16:08

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 19:37

Anyone that doesn't share your view is a troll. What's the purpose of a message board to discuss the state of the team if only one opinion is allowed? confused2

Goose wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 18:27

Not one person here believes that Chiarelli is solely to blame for this mess. I don't even think he's primarily responsible, that distinction goes to Katz. But I still think he should be fired.

Nobody reasonable should think it's 100% on Chia. That's why I asked the question about the worst of the OBC vs. Chia.

If I had to choose I'd clean house and give Chia another couple years to see what he can do. Simply because that's the path that doesn't mandate another guaranteed year or two out of the playoffs.

I think the concern is expectations and lack of progress.
- I expected this team to be a perennial contender within two years of winning McDavid. Assuming of course he lived up to the hype, which he has.
- I have seen very little from Chia defenders about what he has done well, except saying what others see as mistakes isnt THAT bad
- I dont know enough of the available GM pool to know who a good replacement would be

My opinion is that being in a Wild Card spot at Christmas is awesome, an accomplishment that has been rare around here. Much like I miss Russell this is more of an indictment of mismanagement than a celebration of success (or quality in the case of Russell)

I think someone here did the math once and if Chia had done absolutely nothing but resign the players he already had the team would be in roughly the same cap position but on paper** would have a better roster.

If one even partially agrees with the above statement than I dont know how that same person can entertain the idea of more time given to PC. His biggest mark on the team is a cap crunch and no depth.

**I say on paper as the opinion on the partying, effort and attitudes of the departed players will definitely have an effect on opinions of the results of said "on paper" team

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725907 is a reply to message #725897 ]
Thu, 27 December 2018 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 13:37

Oh c'mon. He adds a level of discussion around here that is kinda fun. Even if I do disagree with 99% of Shoop's opinions I am not so sure I would label him a troll.

Perhaps there could be less condescending BS in his posts but he still isn't the worst poster on these boards. If having poorly argued and defended points of view was a bannable offence we would have a couple people banned long before him.

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725909 is a reply to message #725907 ]
Thu, 27 December 2018 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 15:09

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 13:37

Oh c'mon. He adds a level of discussion around here that is kinda fun. Even if I do disagree with 99% of Shoop's opinions I am not so sure I would label him a troll.

I would certainly be against banning him/her. There is no harm being done here at all.

I do believe there is a degree of troll to his/her contributions here though. But I’m fine with that. Gives us all reason to reaffirm how much of a clown the GM is. I’m always up for that.

Regardless of how “blind” or “irrational” Shoop pretends the disdain is. The fact that this person states the Reinhart trade is the only bad decision the GM has made, tells me all that I really need to know. Grain of salt.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725920 is a reply to message #725909 ]
Thu, 27 December 2018 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

It just seems to me like someone is trying to inflame people by making claims and arguments that are just completely off base and wrong. This is Oilfans no Chia fans. Reminds me of Mr Oiler part two. Meh no skin off my ass if he stays. I'll just add him to the skip list.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725972 is a reply to message #725920 ]
Fri, 28 December 2018 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Stauffer and Brownlee are both now taking swings at Chiarelli. I think the end maybe nigh when you have the old timer mouthpieces start throwing daggers. Especially when one has been a direct mouthpiece for Katz.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725973 is a reply to message #725972 ]
Fri, 28 December 2018 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 28 December 2018 14:06

Stauffer and Brownlee are both now taking swings at Chiarelli. I think the end maybe nigh when you have the old timer mouthpieces start throwing daggers. Especially when one has been a direct mouthpiece for Katz.

Yeah, Gregor just said something like "how long is this guy going to get". The PR, I mean, media knives are out.

Edit: now he's losing his mind with Lucic's total lack of productivity. Everything is upside down today.

[Updated on: Fri, 28 December 2018 14:15]

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725995 is a reply to message #725909 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

[quote title=g2k wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 23:49]

I would certainly be against banning him/her. There is no harm being done here at all.

I do believe there is a degree of troll to his/her contributions here though. But I’m fine with that. Gives us all reason to reaffirm how much of a clown the GM is. I’m always up for that.

Regardless of how “blind” or “irrational” Shoop pretends the disdain is. The fact that this person states the Reinhart trade is the only bad decision the GM has made, tells me all that I really need to know. Grain of salt.

My preferred pronoun is him. rofl

I'm truly not intending to troll. Perhaps you could re-state what I'm saying truthfully?

Nowhere did I ever say that the Rienhart trade is the only bad decision that the GM has made. I used the word 'horrible' to describe the Lucic signing. fwiw that signing is the worst decision Chiarelli has made hands down IMO.

I do agree with you that sweeping out the OBC would be a once in a lifetime move. I also agree with Nicholson that it's playoffs or bust for Chiarelli this season.

If the Oilers make the playoffs how do you still fire him? Two playoff appearances in four seasons. Other than our Hall of Fame former GM Chiarelli is the best GM this team has ever had. Granted KLowe, Tambo and MacT aren't much to compete with, but at least he isn't OBC.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726000 is a reply to message #725995 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

[quote title=shoop wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018 07:54]
g2k wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 23:49

I'm truly not intending to troll. Perhaps you could re-state what I'm saying truthfully?

Nowhere did I ever say that the Rienhart trade is the only bad decision that the GM has made. I used the word 'horrible' to describe the Lucic signing. fwiw that signing is the worst decision Chiarelli has made hands down IMO.

I do agree with you that sweeping out the OBC would be a once in a lifetime move. I also agree with Nicholson that it's playoffs or bust for Chiarelli this season.

If the Oilers make the playoffs how do you still fire him? Two playoff appearances in four seasons. Other than our Hall of Fame former GM Chiarelli is the best GM this team has ever had. Granted KLowe, Tambo and MacT aren't much to compete with, but at least he isn't OBC.

Yeah, my ratings system is different from yours. You have to look at what the GM had to work with. Chiarelli has had the best player on the planet. At one point, he even had players excited to come here to play with him, although years of mismanagement has probably sewered that.

It's a disgrace that the team missed the playoffs last year, and it's an even bigger disgrace that we're a bubble team now in McDavid's fourth year. Teams with generational players on them should be contenders very quickly. We aren't a contender, and it's hard to see any ways that this team has actually improved around McDavid in the 3.5 years that Chia's been at the helm. People want to point to the farm system, but the Oilers media has ALWAYS shone a light on the newest shiniest prospects and talked about them in glowing terms, while casting shade on what came before. Until those players start making the team and making it better, then it isn't real.

I also don't think you can absolve Chia of the Reinhart trade, suggesting that he was still too new to know better (despite the fact he would have seen two different teams scouting data), and then also give him credit for Bear and Jones, who were picked in the same draft.

And that Reinhart deal makes the Marc-Antoine Pouliot deal look good. Pouliot actually played 176 games for the Oilers, recording 53 points. Reinhart, who was three years older and should have been well-scouted, only saw action in 37 games in Edmonton, managing a meagre two assists.

Still on the board when they made the trade? Mathew Barzal, Kyle Connor, Thomas Chabot, Brock Boeser, and of course Joel Ericksson-Ek, who Stauffer maintains the Oilers would have picked...

If I'm rating GMs, Sather is far and away the best. Lowe, unbelievably is second. It turns out the only thing he's worse at than GMing is picking his successors. Still, he had one great season as a GM and managed to occasionally win a trade here or there. His teams were generally competitive, despite not having a wealth of skill.

Tambellini is next best, simply because A) he had next to nothing to work with and B) he didn't make glaring mistakes...mostly because he was afraid to do anything, but still, better to sit on your hands than do something stupid (ie. trade Hall for Larsson).

MacTavish and Chiarelli are neck and neck for worst GM ever. MacT talked WAAAAAY too much, outlining his plans like a Bond villain, and seemed surprised they didn't work. He fired Krueger over Skype, he destroyed his top goalies' confidence and then made 26 trades trying to replace him. He signed every single 6/7 defenceman on the market, and seemed unclear as to why his defence sucked. He was pretty freakin' bad...

But he also didn't make franchise-killing moves the way Chia has. Chia's had more BIG mistakes than anyone else. Hall for Larsson, Lucic for 7 years at $6MM/year w/ NMC, Russell for 4x4 w/ NMC, Eberle for Strome for Spooner, 2 high picks in the deepest draft since 2003 for Griffin Reinhart, overpaying EVERYONE. It's a shocking track record, and all in less than four years. The Oilers would have been better picking their GM from a random shopper at Kingsway in April 2015, and we wouldn't have had to surrender another high pick to get him too.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726001 is a reply to message #725995 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

shoop wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018 08:54

Sorry for boiling down your arguments to just the Reinhart trade, it wasnt an intention of misleading or lack of truthfulness, I simply forgot some of your other posts.
TBH I tend to skim a lot of posts on here if they have little real substance.

As far as the degree of trolling, here is what it comes down to for me;
- you have a VERY strong opinion on PC and his safety if they make the playoffs yet for the most part dont give any defense of him, his moves or what he has built.
- You are very quick to call other arguments or suggestions, like Shero, a bad idea yet have no ideas of your own
- going against the majority is a fun pasttime for some people. While it is tough to know someones intentions on a message board your posts scream for attention by going against a commonly held belief (Chia sucks) yet offering no actual facts, unique opinions or insights as to why the masses are wrong.

The fact that just making the playoffs is seen as as measure of success for him to me is absurd.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726021 is a reply to message #726001 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018 17:30

Sorry for boiling down your arguments to just the Reinhart trade, it wasnt an intention of misleading or lack of truthfulness, I simply forgot some of your other posts.

- you have a VERY strong opinion on PC and his safety if they make the playoffs yet for the most part dont give any defense of him, his moves or what he has built.
- You are very quick to call other arguments or suggestions, like Shero, a bad idea yet have no ideas of your own
- going against the majority is a fun pasttime for some people. While it is tough to know someones intentions on a message board your posts scream for attention by going against a commonly held belief (Chia sucks) yet offering no actual facts, unique opinions or insights as to why the masses are wrong.

The fact that just making the playoffs is seen as as measure of success for him to me is absurd.

I think it primarily boils down to the Hall trade. As stated earlier, I think the Hall trade was necessary and Ference's little whine proved that. Whoever claimed we didn't know for sure that it was Hall that Ference was referring to is a joke. Of course it was Hall, and he had to go for that reason. Can anyone name a defenceman who has played better for the Oilers since Chris Pronger other than Larsson? Maybe Sekera's second year, but Larsson has been solid. People who hate Chiarelli are just butt hurt about that Hall trade still IMO.

Defence of Chia moves, trades, signings.

Talbot for a late 2nd, 3rd and a 6th round draft pick - solid move. Signing Talbot to a reasonable extension in terms of aav and term was even better.

Maroon for Martin Gernat and a fourth rounder? Another solid move.

Kris Russell signing? Lots of people criticized it but he definitely earned his money last year. Was earning it this year until the injury.

Zack Kassian for Ben effin' Scrivens ... worked out pretty well.

Eberle for Strome than Spooner. Cap move that has been ok. Strome was a disappointment, but Eberle is having a down year this year. Would anyone advocate for bringing Eberle back?

Koskinen signing. Looked bad, then incredible, now we don't know.

As earlier stated, Chiarelli has replenished the farm system.

I don't know if this counts as facts, unique opinions or insights in your book but if they don't then nothing will satisfy you.

This team has made the playoffs once in the past 12 years. Chia is the one GM who got them there. But, but but McDavid so the bar should be much higher is an argument that has been used repeatedly. Not an actual fact, unique opinion or insight in that argument. Now that half the legue doesn't make the playoffs, maing the playoffs is a solid accomplishment.

I like Chiarelli because he brought a level of professionalism we haven't seen since Sather. Tambo was a waffler who couldn't make the any tough decisions. KLowe's arrogance was so offputting. MacT hired Eakins.

The Oilers were very close to making the Conference finals just two seasons ago. But, but but Chia didn't do enough that off-season. Easy to say in hindsight.

I think the playoffs are a reasonable level of progress. Could you provide any actual facts, unique opinions or insights as to why holding that view is absurd?

What's with "the masses" line? Some misguided attempt at me because I have my own opinion?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726025 is a reply to message #726021 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

shoop wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018 14:43

I think it primarily boils down to the Hall trade. As stated earlier, I think the Hall trade was necessary and Ference's little whine proved that. Whoever claimed we didn't know for sure that it was Hall that Ference was referring to is a joke. Of course it was Hall, and he had to go for that reason. Can anyone name a defenceman who has played better for the Oilers since Chris Pronger other than Larsson? Maybe Sekera's second year, but Larsson has been solid. People who hate Chiarelli are just butt hurt about that Hall trade still IMO.

Talbot for a late 2nd, 3rd and a 6th round draft pick - solid move. Signing Talbot to a reasonable extension in terms of aav and term was even better.

Kris Russell signing? Lots of people criticized it but he definitely earned his money last year. Was earning it this year until the injury.

Eberle for Strome than Spooner. Cap move that has been ok. Strome was a disappointment, but Eberle is having a down year this year. Would anyone advocate for bringing Eberle back?

I don't know if this counts as facts, unique opinions or insights in your book but if they don't then nothing will satisfy you.

This team has made the playoffs once in the past 12 years. Chia is the one GM who got them there. But, but but McDavid so the bar should be much higher is an argument that has been used repeatedly. Not an actual fact, unique opinion or insight in that argument. Now that half the legue doesn't make the playoffs, maing the playoffs is a solid accomplishment.

I like Chiarelli because he brought a level of professionalism we haven't seen since Sather. Tambo was a waffler who couldn't make the any tough decisions. KLowe's arrogance was so offputting. MacT hired Eakins.

The Oilers were very close to making the Conference finals just two seasons ago. But, but but Chia didn't do enough that off-season. Easy to say in hindsight.

I think the playoffs are a reasonable level of progress. Could you provide any actual facts, unique opinions or insights as to why holding that view is absurd?

What's with "the masses" line? Some misguided attempt at me because I have my own opinion?

For some reason, you seem to have left out the Loo signing which will handcuff the team's cap for years to come. That move alone is worth Chia's job.

Also, you can bring up all the piddly-ass moves Chia has made that haven't completely blown up in his face that you want. The simple fact remains that the team isn't really any closer to contending for the Cup than they were before the Oil won the McLottery. A GM's job is to build the team into a contender for said Cup. If you are going to continue to defend Chia despite his clear and utter failure to do this, you are nothing but a shill troll paid by the organization to spew propaganda.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726030 is a reply to message #726025 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018 15:55

shoop wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018 14:43

For some reason, you seem to have left out the Loo signing which will handcuff the team's cap for years to come. That move alone is worth Chia's job.

Also, you can bring up all the piddly-ass moves Chia has made that haven't completely blown up in his face that you want. The simple fact remains that the team isn't really any closer to contending for the Cup than they were before the Oil won the McLottery. A GM's job is to build the team into a contender for said Cup. If you are going to continue to defend Chia despite his clear and utter failure to do this, you are nothing but a shill troll paid by the organization to spew propaganda.

weights

100%

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726029 is a reply to message #726021 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

shoop wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018 15:43

So first of all, the issues many have with that first trade, H4L, was that it was a 1 for 1. Larsson, for the most part, is widely liked around these parts. But where Chia failed was in receiving ONLY Larsson for the eventual league MVP.

Talbots deal was a gift from Sather.

Maroon... great deal. Agree.

Russell, great player to have. I’m in agreement, but at that cap hit AND if I’m not mistaken, a NMC? Steep. Like paying 168.9 for a litre of Gas. You know you’re paying too much.

Kassian for Scrivens was a good deal. Agreed.

Eberle for Strome then for Spooner... who would advocate bringing Eberle back? Uh... he shouldn’t have ever been dealt or if it was a ‘must’ then see the H4L comment about 1 for 1. I’d love to see Eberle in an Oilers jersey still for he’s a piece of what we’re missing.

Koskinen, pre-Christmas looked like a great deal. Jury still out but he was regarded as the teams #1 not that long ago.

Cupboards seem much better. But it’s not like the Condors are ripping it up in the A. They’re a middle of the pack team, much like the NHL Squad.

I’d like to remind you there are still 31 teams in the league and that 16 is greater than half of 31. And during the DoD, there were 30 teams. Over half the teams make playoffs. The fact we’ve made playoffs once in 12 years shows how much of a joke this franchise that we pour so much into is actually managed.

MacT hired Eakins. Easy to say in hindsight. Eakins seems to be doing pretty well for himself and is regarded by many around the league to be close to an NHL HC gig again.

The playoffs should be a given, when you have the worlds best player on your team. Missing the playoffs is a huge detriment to the builder. Who’s the builder? Chiarelli. But as a fanbase (I’d like to say the majority of the fanbase), we’ve seen failure rewarded... look at Lowe, MacT (twice) and it doesn’t give any hope of this franchise actually turning around.

Reasonable progress would be the conference final, but even being a ‘buyer’ at the deadline with as little spending the Oilers would be allowed looks like a pipe dream now.

[Updated on: Sat, 29 December 2018 15:09]

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726043 is a reply to message #726029 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018 15:07

So first of all, the issues many have with that first trade, H4L, was that it was a 1 for 1. Larsson, for the most part, is widely liked around these parts. But where Chia failed was in receiving ONLY Larsson for the eventual league MVP.

Russell, great player to have. I’m in agreement, but at that cap hit AND if I’m not mistaken, a NMC? Steep. Like paying 168.9 for a litre of Gas. You know you’re paying too much.

Eberle for Strome then for Spooner... who would advocate bringing Eberle back? Uh... he shouldn’t have ever been dealt or if it was a ‘must’ then see the H4L comment about 1 for 1. I’d love to see Eberle in an Oilers jersey still for he’s a piece of what we’re missing.

Koskinen, pre-Christmas looked like a great deal. Jury still out but he was regarded as the teams #1 not that long ago.

Cupboards seem much better. But it’s not like the Condors are ripping it up in the A. They’re a middle of the pack team, much like the NHL Squad.

I’d like to remind you there are still 31 teams in the league and that 16 is greater than half of 31. And during the DoD, there were 30 teams. Over half the teams make playoffs. The fact we’ve made playoffs once in 12 years shows how much of a joke this franchise that we pour so much into is actually managed.

MacT hired Eakins. Easy to say in hindsight. Eakins seems to be doing pretty well for himself and is regarded by many around the league to be close to an NHL HC gig again.

The playoffs should be a given, when you have the worlds best player on your team. Missing the playoffs is a huge detriment to the builder. Who’s the builder? Chiarelli. But as a fanbase (I’d like to say the majority of the fanbase), we’ve seen failure rewarded... look at Lowe, MacT (twice) and it doesn’t give any hope of this franchise actually turning around.

Reasonable progress would be the conference final, but even being a ‘buyer’ at the deadline with as little spending the Oilers would be allowed looks like a pipe dream now.

Is Eakins really that close to back? :) His Gulls team is in the basement. Only person I hear pumping him up is Burke, who was the guy that hired him back in the day for the Marlies.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726047 is a reply to message #726043 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018 16:28

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018 15:07

Is Eakins really that close to back? :) His Gulls team is in the basement. Only person I hear pumping him up is Burke, who was the guy that hired him back in the day for the Marlies.

I can’t remember who it was, Kyper perhpas(?), but I was watching hockeycentral at noon a bit ago and he was talking like Eakins may just get a shot next season somewhere. Time’ll tell!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726048 is a reply to message #726021 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

While I disagree that any of this should qualify that PC has done a good job I do appreciate that you contributed some basis for your opinion.

As far as the list of PC's "accomplishments", very few of them are contributing to the Oilers success, as mediocre as it has been, but most are irrelevant

Talbot- good for a while, seems to be broken and may have list his starting job, leads to;
Koski- massive overpay unless his home game stretch is consistant for the rest of the season, then it would be his second biggest win (Chiasson is his best move)
Russell- My thoughts on him are well known, also well known is that he is overpaid by a lot and has too long of term and a NMT. One of PC's biggest errors in causing cap hell
Maroon- not here anymore, credit for getting him but he is not contributing to the Oilers, neither is the return they got when dealing him
Kassian- overpaid and largely ineffective.
Eberle trade- Secondary scoring on the Oilers is a huge weakness. Cap space saved was used to overpay bottom 6ers and bottom pairing D-men
Farm team- It is much better than it was but the bar was extremely low

Overall a few of his small moves have been passable, a couple have been hits, the bigger the move the worse it seems to be.

The bottom line for me is the measure of a GM is results and trajectory.
The Oilers are almost as bad now as the were when PC took over. If it wasn't for McDavid, which had nothing to do with him, it is almost assured they would be a bottom 5 team still.

So what has PC improved?
The farm team was terrible and is now average
The Defense was terrible, is still below average
secondary scoring was bad, it still is

All PC has done is move out some "problem" players and replace them with lesser hockey players. Not to mention in doing so he put the team in a poor cap situation that will last for years thanks to buyout proof deals and no move clauses.

To this line
"I don't know if this counts as facts, unique opinions or insights in your book but if they don't then nothing will satisfy you."
I am not easily satisfied but I appreciate the effort. Much like others before you, if your goal here is to satisfy others you will often leave disappointed. If you want some debate and discussion with a group is largely smart hockey folks then you find it with posts like yours in this case.
I think this was your best post as you had some substance. Good work.

"What's with "the masses" line? Some misguided attempt at me because I have my own opinion? "
As to this one, not misguided at all, right on target.
According to your info you have 56 posts in the last couple weeks. Almost every one has included some form of condescension, name calling, trying to be an "alpha" to use your term, going after many different people who called out posts of yours that you disagreed with.
You seem very easily offended so I will try to be nicer in how I disagree with you from now on.

This place has no moderators (that I know of), just MJ who runs the place. We tend to self police. Those who contribute and do it with some semblance of intelligence tend to fit in just fine and last for years. Those who cant take the heat of having opinions challenge tend to disappear and go back to lurking at HF.

TL:DR
The Oilers are still a bad hockey team that without McDavid would be bottom 5
PC has done nothing to improve the team
Making the playoffs shouldt be the bar for success
New members are fun, even if I disagree

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726077 is a reply to message #726048 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018 22:48

While I disagree that any of this should qualify that PC has done a good job I do appreciate that you contributed some basis for your opinion.

Thanks. At the end of the day we are all Oilers fans. Pretty sad that some people think the only reason someone would express support for Chia is to troll.

Talbot- good for a while, seems to be broken and may have list his starting job, leads to;

Fair point. Truly the glass half empty/half full view of Chiarelli. I think it's positive that Chia only gave him three years. Talbot's putrid play today was another example of why he isn't the answer going forward.

Koski- massive overpay unless his home game stretch is consistant for the rest of the season, then it would be his second biggest win (Chiasson is his best move)

Koskinen has had one brutal game so far. Hopefully his play in his last three games is just a mini-slump and he returns to form against Winnipeg. Koskinen is currently 11-6-2 with a .918 save percentage, 2.52 GAA and 3 shutouts. If he finishes the season 33-18-6 with the same stats and 9 shutouts it won't be seen as an overpay at all. Then y'all will criticize Chia for not signing him to a multi-year deal. icon_lol

Russell- My thoughts on him are well known, also well known is that he is overpaid by a lot and has too long of term and a NMT. One of PC's biggest errors in causing cap hell

Disagreed on the pay. $4M for what Rusell brought last season and this season up until he was injured was reasonable for his level of play. Russell can be traded next year, a ten team list I believe. The Oilers are 1-6-0 since Russell went out. Was it the same game as Klefa? I think the team would be a game or two better over that stretch if Russell had been in.

Maroon- not here anymore, credit for getting him but he is not contributing to the Oilers, neither is the return they got when dealing him

That's why players are free agents. Chiarelli did get some assets when the team knew Maroon only had an interest in signing with one team as a free agent. Dudek is a piece of re-stocking the farm system. Not sure how a third rounder in 2019 could contribute now.

Kassian- overpaid and largely ineffective.

Meh. Agreed I guess. Not sure how much less Kassian would have taken. Definitely having a horrible year. $1.95 M for his 19 points last season wasn't too bad. For his projected 7 points this year it's really bad.

Eberle trade- Secondary scoring on the Oilers is a huge weakness. Cap space saved was used to overpay bottom 6ers and bottom pairing D-men

It was totally a cap move to dump Ebs, although I think the Ference interview clearly points to Eberle (along with Hall) being part of the problem with the old core. After a season Chia dumped Hall. Then Eberle crapped the bed in the playoffs and Chia moved on. Eberle was ok last season but nothing better than we saw out of him as an Oiler. His play has fallen off a cliff this season. Maybe he has been injured all season and the Isles finally put him on IR?

Secondary scoring hadn't been as big a deal under Hitch. At least he gets how to deploy the top six or has at times. I'd like to see JJ returned to the second line as a winger. He isn't good as a centre.

Farm team- It is much better than it was but the bar was extremely low

But ... icon_rolleyes We all know that the OBC was terrible. Even if the Oilers miss the playoffs and Chia deservedly gets canned the team is in much better shape than when he got here, and that's not just because of McDavid. Using the 'but' is a way of denigrating Chia's work. It's the best farm system this team has had in over a decade. Chia has definitely improved the farm system and it deserves a little more than but yeah...

Overall a few of his small moves have been passable, a couple have been hits, the bigger the move the worse it seems to be.

I think merely calling the smaller moves as passable overall really undervalues what he has done with those moves. In many respects it comes down to whether Chiarelli ever gets credit or anything he does that's good is dismissed and undervalued.

The bottom line for me is the measure of a GM is results and trajectory.
The Oilers are almost as bad now as the were when PC took over. If it wasn't for McDavid, which had nothing to do with him, it is almost assured they would be a bottom 5 team still.

I completely agree on trajectory. Making the playoffs this year would be a huge positive move in terms of the trajectory of this team.

As for no McDavid, it's all moot. Don't think Chia would have taken the job without McDavid coming in.

So what has PC improved?
The farm team was terrible and is now average
The Defense was terrible, is still below average
secondary scoring was bad, it still is

I think you are underselling Chia on all three fronts. Already discussed farm team. Defence is really bad with three of the top four defencemen on the team injured. We have no idea what Sekera/Russell/Klefa will be like when they come back. The defence is at least league average with all three healthy. Not sure if we get any of them healthy the rest of this season. Secondary scoring is better than pre-Chia. Still not great, but better.

All PC has done is move out some "problem" players and replace them with lesser hockey players. Not to mention in doing so he put the team in a poor cap situation that will last for years thanks to buyout proof deals and no move clauses.

Other than the Lucic signing what are the poor signings with NMCs? Russell has a ten team list he can be moved to next season. Jumps to 20 the season after. Draisaitl's NMC doesn't kick in until 2022-23. Nurse doesn't have an NMC.

I am not easily satisfied but I appreciate the effort. Much like others before you, if your goal here is to satisfy others you will often leave disappointed. If you want some debate and discussion with a group is largely smart hockey folks then you find it with posts like yours in this case. I think this was your best post as you had some substance. Good work.

Thanks appreciated.

"What's with "the masses" line? Some misguided attempt at me because I have my own opinion? "As to this one, not misguided at all, right on target.
According to your info you have 56 posts in the last couple weeks. Almost every one has included some form of condescension, name calling, trying to be an "alpha" to use your term, going after many different people who called out posts of yours that you disagreed with.

I really disagree with the "many different people" part. Babaganoosh called me a troll and called for me to be banned repeatedly. Not sure what I'm supposed to do with that? Accept he thinks I should be banned and leave the site voluntarily? kr55 has admitted to being sarcastic, insulted my job as likely being a government job than walked that insult back. Again, not sure. I do stand by everything I said about Vice.

You seem very easily offended so I will try to be nicer in how I disagree with you from now on.

If someone calls me a troll and calls for me to be banned what is the correct non-condescending, not taking offence way to reply?

This place has no moderators (that I know of), just MJ who runs the place. We tend to self police. Those who contribute and do it with some semblance of intelligence tend to fit in just fine and last for years. Those who cant take the heat of having opinions challenge tend to disappear and go back to lurking at HF.

I think my last post, and this post, are examples of contributing with a semblance of intelligence. If the default is that anyone who thinks Chia should keep his job if the Oilers make the playoffs this season has to be a troll I'm not sure what to say to that.

As for lurking on HF ... omg just reading some of those threads with the flat out despisal of Chiarelli is mindblowing. I haven't looked there for a while, but even when I did lurk it just wasn't worth the true, actual hatred of Chiarelli. There were a couple people there who were obsessed with hating him.

TL:DR
The Oilers are still a bad hockey team that without McDavid would be bottom 5
PC has done nothing to improve the team
Making the playoffs shouldt be the bar for success
New members are fun, even if I disagree

Without McDavid, Chia probably doesn't accept the job so everything else is moot.
Really disagree on doing nothing to improve the team.
What should the bar for success be? I ask that in all seriousness.
I do agree that it can be fun to be on a site like this.

Tonight was a perfect example for me. The game this afternoon was horrible. The bright spot for the team recently has been Caleb Jones. When Klefa and Russell are back I think Jones should stay with the big club.

I fear that if the Oilers miss the playoffs I will continue to get called a Chia apologist. Nothing could be farther from the truth. No playoffs and Chia has gots to go. At this point playoffs would be a great accomplishment. Only 58 days to the trade deadline.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726087 is a reply to message #726077 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

shoop wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018 20:36

Without McDavid, Chia probably doesn't accept the job so everything else is moot.
Really disagree on doing nothing to improve the team.
What should the bar for success be? I ask that in all seriousness.
I do agree that it can be fun to be on a site like this.

Tonight was a perfect example for me. The game this afternoon was horrible. The bright spot for the team recently has been Caleb Jones. When Klefa and Russell are back I think Jones should stay with the big club.

I fear that if the Oilers miss the playoffs I will continue to get called a Chia apologist. Nothing could be farther from the truth. No playoffs and Chia has gots to go. At this point playoffs would be a great accomplishment. Only 58 days to the trade deadline.

McDavid is relevant to a Chia discussion as my point is that he is the reason for the teams improvement. If they do make it two out of four years it is in spite of PC's moves and because of McDavid dragging them there.

Your question about the bar for success... I think at year 4 of McDavid the playoffs should be a given and missing them should be a travesty.

Agree on Jones, he seems to be improving each game and I felt bad that he got his first goal in a game where celebrating at all would have looked stupid.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726071 is a reply to message #726021 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

shoop wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018

Can anyone name a defenceman who has played better for the Oilers since Chris Pronger other than Larsson?

You mentioned Sekera.

Klefbom is unquestionably a better player than Larsson. Nurse/Larsson as a top pair have been awful since Klefbom went out.

Jeff Petry was and is a better defenceman than Larsson.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726073 is a reply to message #726071 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Goose wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 01:06

You mentioned Sekera.

Klefbom is unquestionably a better player than Larsson. Nurse/Larsson as a top pair have been awful since Klefbom went out.

This is a thread on Chia keeping his job. Not sure how Petry is relevant when Chia was GM of the Bruins at the time of the Petry to Montreal trade.

Sekera played meh his first season with the Oilers, really well his second season the last season and a half have all been about injuries. Overall Larsson has been better than Sekera, but agreed that 2016-17 from Sekera was better than any other season we have seen from an Oilers D in the Chiarelli era.

Agreed on how terrible Nurse/Larsson have been. Larsson is an ok 2D but Nurse is better positioned on the second pairing, or ideally the third pairing of a really stacked team.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726074 is a reply to message #726073 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

shoop wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018 19:20

You mentioned Sekera.

This is a thread on Chia keeping his job. Not sure how Petry is relevant when Chia was GM of the Bruins at the time of the Petry to Montreal trade.

Sekera played meh his first season with the Oilers, really well his second season the last season and a half have all been about injuries. Overall Larsson has been better than Sekera, but agreed that 2016-17 from Sekera was better than any other season we have seen from an Oilers D in the Chiarelli era.

Agreed on how terrible Nurse/Larsson have been. Larsson is an ok 2D but Nurse is better positioned on the second pairing, or ideally the third pairing of a really stacked team.

Are you forgetting your own posts now?

Can anyone name a defenceman who has played better for the Oilers since Chris Pronger other than Larsson?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726078 is a reply to message #726074 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 01:25

Not at all.

I clarified my position on that post when someone brought up Sekera. The one really good season Sekera, 2016-17, with the Oilers is better than any individual season Larsson has had with the Oilers (or any Oilers defenceman has had since Pronger). Over the length of their time with the Oilers I think Larsson has been better than Sekera.

What am I forgetting?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726089 is a reply to message #726078 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

shoop wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018 20:44

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 01:25

Not at all.

I clarified my position on that post when someone brought up Sekera. The one really good season Sekera, 2016-17, with the Oilers is better than any individual season Larsson has had with the Oilers (or any Oilers defenceman has had since Pronger). Over the length of their time with the Oilers I think Larsson has been better than Sekera.

What am I forgetting?

You are forgetting the part you cut out of what I quoted where you said this
"This is a thread on Chia keeping his job. Not sure how Petry is relevant when Chia was GM of the Bruins at the time of the Petry to Montreal trade. "

You specifically asked for an example since Pronger then wrote off the example given. Anyway, no big deal, I was just messing around.

I think Klefbom is better than Larsson this year as well BTW.
Larsson seems to be slipping and looks flat out terrible since Klef got hurt

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726094 is a reply to message #726089 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 05:38

You are forgetting the part you cut out of what I quoted where you said this
"This is a thread on Chia keeping his job. Not sure how Petry is relevant when Chia was GM of the Bruins at the time of the Petry to Montreal trade. "

You specifically asked for an example since Pronger then wrote off the example given. Anyway, no big deal, I was just messing around.

My bad. By asking about the best defencemen the Oilers have had since Pronger, I meant best D as an Oiler.

Petry and even Jultz may have been better in their time with other teams than Larsson has been in his time with the Oilers. Probably have been tbh. I just don't follow them now that they aren't on the team. Don't want to fuel my own bitterness towards the OBC.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726095 is a reply to message #726094 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

I would argue Souray was the best D since Pronger, but we all know how that turned out.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726076 is a reply to message #726073 ]
Sat, 29 December 2018 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Sat, 29 December 2018 18:20

You mentioned Sekera.

I'm finding that Larsson is absolutely terrible at predicting what Nurse is going to do. Not sure what the deal is. It's certainly not easy, because Nurse can be extremely chaotic in our zone and is constantly losing his checks and running out of position still (do something about it Hitch, please!). Larsson doesn't seem able to help matters much though. It's just a bad pair so far. Russell seems like a way better parter for NUrse, much more aware defensively and able to do a decent job of covering for Nurse.

Could just be too much ice time though. Nurse is playing way too much, Larsson too.

[Updated on: Sat, 29 December 2018 18:53]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726102 is a reply to message #726076 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 01:51

I'm finding that Larsson is absolutely terrible at predicting what Nurse is going to do. Not sure what the deal is. It's certainly not easy, because Nurse can be extremely chaotic in our zone and is constantly losing his checks and running out of position still (do something about it Hitch, please!). Larsson doesn't seem able to help matters much though. It's just a bad pair so far. Russell seems like a way better parter for NUrse, much more aware defensively and able to do a decent job of covering for Nurse.

Could just be too much ice time though. Nurse is playing way too much, Larsson too.

Yeah. Larsson and Nurse don't mesh very well.

Larsson is ideally a 2D and Nurse just isn't a top pairing guy.

The D is still pretty gross when Russell gets back, but it will be better.

I'd like to see Russell and Nurse together, but who do you play with Larsson?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #726105 is a reply to message #726102 ]
Sun, 30 December 2018 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 12:36

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 30 December 2018 01:51

Yeah. Larsson and Nurse don't mesh very well.

Larsson is ideally a 2D and Nurse just isn't a top pairing guy.

The D is still pretty gross when Russell gets back, but it will be better.

I'd like to see Russell and Nurse together, but who do you play with Larsson?

It would probably have to be Gravel right now. Might have to just do it. Larsson+Nurse is not good. So at least you maybe get a decent pair with Nurse-Russell, and hope Larsson can mesh with Gravel. If you're super desperate, I guess you can throw Jones into the fire :)

Edit: oh, missed the D pairs from practice. I guess Jones into the fire it is! lol

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Pages (9): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #48)
Next Topic:Oilers select 2nd rd (#62) - Olivier Rodrigue
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca