This day on April 20
None

Happy Birthday To: Nesticle, goffer48, The Goat, HezzyB, Oilbleeder, thesituation, Patorious

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Roster moves 12/12 re Caggiula,Klefbom,Marody
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Roster moves 12/12 re Caggiula,Klefbom,Marody [message #724823]
Wed, 12 December 2018 16:00 Go to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-activate-cagg iula-off-injured-reserve/c-302864780

...." The Edmonton Oilers have activated forward Drake Caggiula off Injured Reserve.

Caggiula, 24, has been sidelined since December 3 after suffering an injury at practice. The native of Pickering, ON has 10 points (7G, 3A) in 23 games with the Oilers this season, including 10 penalty minutes and a -6 plus-minus rating.

The Oilers have also placed defenceman Oscar Klefbom on Injured Reserve and assigned forward Cooper Marody to Bakersfield (AHL)."...

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Roster moves 12/12 re Caggiula,Klefbom,Marody [message #724828 is a reply to message #724823 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Oilers called up Jones. He's been playing on the right side. I would put him on the right side in the line up.

Maybe they try Gravel with Russell and have Jones with Benning. I don't know if Gravel can handle more mins but I just don't think Benning can be in the top 4.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 December 2018 16:21]

Re: Roster moves 12/12 re Caggiula,Klefbom,Marody [message #724833 is a reply to message #724828 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 December 2018 16:19

Oilers called up Jones. He's been playing on the right side. I would put him on the right side in the line up.

Maybe they try Gravel with Russell and have Jones with Benning. I don't know if Gravel can handle more mins but I just don't think Benning can be in the top 4.

That would be two lefties on the second pairing and a right shot and a right d-man w/ left shot on your second and third pairing...Not sure I like that idea.

The scary thing is that Klefbom was logging so much time...that's going to be really hard to cover off.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Roster moves 12/12 re Caggiula,Klefbom,Marody [message #724837 is a reply to message #724833 ]
Wed, 12 December 2018 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 12 December 2018 16:39

That would be two lefties on the second pairing and a right shot and a right d-man w/ left shot on your second and third pairing...Not sure I like that idea.

The scary thing is that Klefbom was logging so much time...that's going to be really hard to cover off.

This should be when implementing a system that is more about positioning than constant chasing and reacting should pay off a little bit.

Hopefully we aren't stuck playing a very bad weak link. I think Garrison or Wideman have excellent weak link costing you games potential. Either by getting scored on, or by losing trust quick every game and basically making us play 5 guys all night.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Roster moves 12/12 re Caggiula,Klefbom,Marody [message #724872 is a reply to message #724837 ]
Thu, 13 December 2018 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 12 December 2018 17:34

This should be when implementing a system that is more about positioning than constant chasing and reacting should pay off a little bit.

Hopefully we aren't stuck playing a very bad weak link. I think Garrison or Wideman have excellent weak link costing you games potential. Either by getting scored on, or by losing trust quick every game and basically making us play 5 guys all night.

It's certainly damning that the Oilers have decided to call up Jones when they currently have 7 healthy d-men on the roster. That suggests that there's zero confidence in Garrison and Wideman - two guys that the GM went out of his way to acquire in the last 10 weeks...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Roster moves 12/12 re Caggiula,Klefbom,Marody [message #724877 is a reply to message #724872 ]
Thu, 13 December 2018 09:46 Go to previous message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Thu, 13 December 2018 09:24

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 12 December 2018 17:34

It's certainly damning that the Oilers have decided to call up Jones when they currently have 7 healthy d-men on the roster. That suggests that there's zero confidence in Garrison and Wideman - two guys that the GM went out of his way to acquire in the last 10 weeks...

Oh haven't you heard? Chiarelli is a genius because he signed a back up goalie to a big money contract with a no move clause and it worked out. We aren't allowed to mention his many many mistakes anymore.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Roster moves 12/12 re Caggiula,Klefbom,Marody [message #724864 is a reply to message #724833 ]
Thu, 13 December 2018 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

What I suggested isn't any different than what they have been running for a while not combo wise.

Russell has played a ton of the right side this year on the second pairing. I am not much of a Russell fan, I just don't hate the guy like some do. For me, as long as he doesn't cause a ton of problems, I can live with him. But let's be honest here, even the most hardcore Russell hater can't deny that he has been pretty good this year. 8 pts, a plus 4 and he's been rock solid almost every game. So for the pairings, I might try.

Nurse - Larsson- Left/Right combo
Gravel - Russell - Left/Left combo but Russell has been on the right side most of the year.
Jones - Benning - Left/Right combo

I guess you could try:
Nurse - Larsson
Russell - Benning
Gravel - Jones/Wideman - Jones has been playing the right side all season in Bakersfield and playing extremely well.

As I said, my concern is that every time they elevate Benning, he gets crushed. It's a bit of a risk to elevate Gravel but he has been really solid, I think he has stabilized Benning and I don't see another a ton of options.

Re: Roster moves 12/12 re Caggiula,Klefbom,Marody [message #724863 is a reply to message #724828 ]
Thu, 13 December 2018 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

They will have to give both the 2nd pair and 3rd pair more minutes to try and cover.

There's going to be tough moments and they are going to be trying a few different options.

Nurse - Larsson
Gravel - Russell
Jones/Garrison - Benning

or

Nurse - Larsson
Russell - Benning
Gravel - Wideman/Jones

or

Nurse - Larsson
Gravel - Benning
Russell - Wideman/Jones

The only constant is Nurse - Larsson. I expect the rest to be an experiment with different lineups every game.

I hope Nurse is up to the challenge. He's the key to keeping this thing afloat in Oscar's absence.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Roster moves 12/12 re Caggiula,Klefbom,Marody [message #724866 is a reply to message #724863 ]
Thu, 13 December 2018 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Steve wrote on Thu, 13 December 2018 08:30

They will have to give both the 2nd pair and 3rd pair more minutes to try and cover.

There's going to be tough moments and they are going to be trying a few different options.

Nurse - Larsson
Gravel - Russell
Jones/Garrison - Benning

or

Nurse - Larsson
Russell - Benning
Gravel - Wideman/Jones

or

Nurse - Larsson
Gravel - Benning
Russell - Wideman/Jones

The only constant is Nurse - Larsson. I expect the rest to be an experiment with different lineups every game.

I hope Nurse is up to the challenge. He's the key to keeping this thing afloat in Oscar's absence.

The thing with Nurse is he held out to the last minute to sign because he thought he was much better than he is right now and worth more. He signed the next day after Morrissey for the same term and 50K more. He was probably pissed at Morrissey. Personally I think what Nurse got was right on what he should have gotten. So far I haven't been overly impressed with Nurse and think he's been worse than last year. So if he thinks he's better and worth more than what the fans and organization think, perfect time for him to show it.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #32)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #31)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca