This day on April 24
None

Happy Birthday To: foxbird, sspOILERS, hazmat, Tarnom, RankinSpankin

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » GDT: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: GDT: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724413 is a reply to message #724406 ]
Sun, 09 December 2018 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Magnum wrote on Sun, 09 December 2018 21:56

Is this good coaching causing these wins? I’m not that good at analyzing hockey, can someone comment?

Either that or Zykov is a lucky charm! Only one thing changed. Yet the results are a total 180. Id say TM sucked as a coach.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: GDT: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724421 is a reply to message #724413 ]
Mon, 10 December 2018 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Sun, 09 December 2018 22:46

Magnum wrote on Sun, 09 December 2018 21:56

Is this good coaching causing these wins? I’m not that good at analyzing hockey, can someone comment?

Either that or Zykov is a lucky charm! Only one thing changed. Yet the results are a total 180. Id say TM sucked as a coach.

There's some difference in style, but probably a lot of it was the players losing faith in a stale message, and Hitch getting their attention quickly with a convincing message that they believe. Role identification is probably a big part of it, and the blender has toned down.

We're probably going to see some suck at times over the balance of the season, a big injury away from the lottery, but this is how you play grownup hockey that wins playoff games if you get there.

I waRe: GDT: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724425 is a reply to message #724421 ]
Mon, 10 December 2018 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I was at the game. Playoff type game. I thought the Oilers for the first, 3rd and parts of the second were the better team. Ritich kept the Flames in it again as he stopped I believe 2-3 break aways plus a couple other fantastic stops. In watching this team, they sure play a hell of a lot better defensively. I thought Lucic was really good. He seems to have embraced the role that Hitch gave him and is flourishing. He even looks like he's picked up a gear or 2 as he looks a hell of a lot faster out there. Still no goals but I think eventually he will get some, the guy definitely doesn't have a lot of luck. They will never get full value out of the contract but at least he's giving them something. Koskinen is just soooooo steady. The team just plays so calm and with belief when he is in there.

The only thing I would like to see is them let Vivieros have the PP and I would swap out Nuge for another right shot. With McDavid, Leon and Nuge all on the PP, just too many passers. Plus it would help the second unit. I don't know what Hitch has done but it's working.

Re: I waRe: GDT: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724439 is a reply to message #724425 ]
Mon, 10 December 2018 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 10 December 2018 11:15

I was at the game. Playoff type game. I thought the Oilers for the first, 3rd and parts of the second were the better team. Ritich kept the Flames in it again as he stopped I believe 2-3 break aways plus a couple other fantastic stops. In watching this team, they sure play a hell of a lot better defensively. I thought Lucic was really good. He seems to have embraced the role that Hitch gave him and is flourishing. He even looks like he's picked up a gear or 2 as he looks a hell of a lot faster out there. Still no goals but I think eventually he will get some, the guy definitely doesn't have a lot of luck. They will never get full value out of the contract but at least he's giving them something. Koskinen is just soooooo steady. The team just plays so calm and with belief when he is in there.

The only thing I would like to see is them let Vivieros have the PP and I would swap out Nuge for another right shot. With McDavid, Leon and Nuge all on the PP, just too many passers. Plus it would help the second unit. I don't know what Hitch has done but it's working.

IIRC JP played the point on the PP in Finland, and by all accounts Zykov has an absolute canon of a shot. Wouldn't mind one of them being given a shot on that unit at some point.

Re: I waRe: GDT: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724447 is a reply to message #724439 ]
Mon, 10 December 2018 10:35 Go to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Mon, 10 December 2018 09:56

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 10 December 2018 11:15

IIRC JP played the point on the PP in Finland, and by all accounts Zykov has an absolute canon of a shot. Wouldn't mind one of them being given a shot on that unit at some point.

Ever since they put the PP unit together, I have felt there are way too many passers on that unit. McDavid, Leon and Nuge are the 3 best passer on the team and for the most part, are pass first guys. Why anyone thinks having all 3 on the same PP is a good idea, I don't get. They each try to out do one another with a pass and they basically try to pass it into the net. Put a guy like Zykov, JO or whoever who has a good shot and who does nothing but stand in a spot ready to rip it.

Re: GDT: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724440 is a reply to message #724356 ]
Mon, 10 December 2018 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Oops, a player finally gave a contrast of Hitch to Todd. Players have all been pretty classy so far. McDavid has been bending over backwards trying to downplay any difference between Todd and Hitch, and laying all blame on players. But, Larsson finally said something

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oiler s/oilers-make-a-statement-with-1-0-victory-over-flames/wcm/1 ba0814c-4481-4df4-a24a-49153c061688

Quote:

“I think we’re playing a little tighter, and it’s easier to close the games,” said Oilers defenceman Adam Larsson, who played 21 minutes. “Even when we were up two goals in the beginning of the season, we would tend to give up chances still, even when we tried to close games out. I don’t feel like we’re doing that now. We’re playing a system where you really need to work hard, and all the guys are buying into it and doing the right things out there. It pays off.”

What’s tighter about their games?

“We were really sad to see a coach go. There’s no disrespect to Todd. Now I just feel like we’re a bit closer, playing a more supportive system. If you screw up, you feel like you have that back-tracker or whatever it might be … so the mistakes don’t cost us as much,” said Larsson.

Awww, no McLellan more man on man coverage where we would have dmen chasing players out to the blue line with their stick fully extended? I'm sure many of us will miss that.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: GDT: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724444 is a reply to message #724440 ]
Mon, 10 December 2018 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 10 December 2018 10:05

Oops, a player finally gave a contrast of Hitch to Todd. Players have all been pretty classy so far. McDavid has been bending over backwards trying to downplay any difference between Todd and Hitch, and laying all blame on players. But, Larsson finally said something

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oiler s/oilers-make-a-statement-with-1-0-victory-over-flames/wcm/1 ba0814c-4481-4df4-a24a-49153c061688

Quote:

“I think we’re playing a little tighter, and it’s easier to close the games,” said Oilers defenceman Adam Larsson, who played 21 minutes. “Even when we were up two goals in the beginning of the season, we would tend to give up chances still, even when we tried to close games out. I don’t feel like we’re doing that now. We’re playing a system where you really need to work hard, and all the guys are buying into it and doing the right things out there. It pays off.”

“We were really sad to see a coach go. There’s no disrespect to Todd. Now I just feel like we’re a bit closer, playing a more supportive system. If you screw up, you feel like you have that back-tracker or whatever it might be … so the mistakes don’t cost us as much,” said Larsson.

Awww, no McLellan more man on man coverage where we would have dmen chasing players out to the blue line with their stick fully extended? I'm sure many of us will miss that.

I'm sorry but the guys played a tighter game in the year they made the playoffs all under TMc (NOT TMAC! GEEEZE *closes eyes and wipes brow, regains composure*) the guys played with more hustle that year and looks like the team that was last night. Lucic may not contribute to the score but he's getting those opportunities and maybe will bury one.. yes yes yes 6M - move on.

To see the team just react to what Hitch is saying is boggling to me and I really don't understand the results. We know that Hitch is around to this year - right? He will need to be replaced next season because the game has passed him by much like it pains me to say like with Quinn. Hitch is known as a quick fixer but the message quickly dies as it did in St.Lou, Columbus, and other teams where he was relegated to an advisory role. So great the team responds but I don't think this will last. It's still the same team with the same people running the show, the voice on the bench is different but the performers are still the same.

Also it show that Todd McLellan either hated the idea of having a new coaching staff, or can't operate without his crew.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: GDT: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30) [message #724446 is a reply to message #724444 ]
Mon, 10 December 2018 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 10 December 2018 10:21

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 10 December 2018 10:05

Quote:

I'm sorry but the guys played a tighter game in the year they made the playoffs all under TMc (NOT TMAC! GEEEZE *closes eyes and wipes brow, regains composure*) the guys played with more hustle that year and looks like the team that was last night. Lucic may not contribute to the score but he's getting those opportunities and maybe will bury one.. yes yes yes 6M - move on.

To see the team just react to what Hitch is saying is boggling to me and I really don't understand the results. We know that Hitch is around to this year - right? He will need to be replaced next season because the game has passed him by much like it pains me to say like with Quinn. Hitch is known as a quick fixer but the message quickly dies as it did in St.Lou, Columbus, and other teams where he was relegated to an advisory role. So great the team responds but I don't think this will last. It's still the same team with the same people running the show, the voice on the bench is different but the performers are still the same.

Also it show that Todd McLellan either hated the idea of having a new coaching staff, or can't operate without his crew.

They did play better in 16/17 for sure. They also had Talbot totally on his game for 75 games that year. Also, the benefit of low expectations, which they all crumbled under the next year when that reversed. Teams also get the book on you when they take you seriously. I think a lot of what started making our coverage and players look foolish starting last year and pretty consistently since was teams knowing how to play us, how to suck our guys out of position as we chase the puck carrier, how we love ringing stuff around the boards to wingers standing still just inside the blue line. There was no evolution in our game plan for a year +.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 December 2018 10:37]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30)
Next Topic:Oilers sign Koskinen
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca