This day on April 23
None

Happy Birthday To: Ramone, Giant Moo, mogal, booyaka!, Blue Thunder, BDR1

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #21)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #21) [message #722979 is a reply to message #722960 ]
Thu, 22 November 2018 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 21 November 2018 16:30

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 21 November 2018 16:11

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 21 November 2018 14:45

overdue wrote on Wed, 21 November 2018 13:34

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 21 November 2018 10:41

I don't give a crap who coaches the team or how old he is, just win some bloody games. They had the nice, pat them on the back, supportive Dad figure in McLellan and they rewarded him by being crappy. Now the roster isn't good enough and McLellan made mistakes too but at the same time not many of the Oilers players played up to their potential other than McDavid. So there is plenty of blame to go around. So maybe these guys need the crusty, blunt, tell it like it is, grandpa figure to get these guys going.

I heard a text from someone on the Nielsen show this morning and maybe there is something to it. Kids don't always listen or do what their parents say but they usually listen and do what their grand parents tell them. I have 2 boys and overall they are good, well behaved kids but at times, it's a struggle to get them to listen and do what they are supposed to. Yet when they are at their grandparents, they are perfect angels and are work their ass off doing whatever their grandparents ask.

Didn't watch the whole game but enough to see that as a team they actually looked like they knew what they were doing most of the time and their goaltender did a great job of keeping them in it when the sharks got hot. The grandfather analogy is a good one although I can't help but remember Mclellan throwing players under the bus in media interviews. Is that what supportive, caring Dad's do? It seemed that relationship had soured a lot and was one of the reasons he had to be replaced. Be interesting to see where this goes in the next few games. Hitchcock's record speaks for itself.

I think McLellan may have been dad to guys like McDavid, Drai, Lucic, Nuge, and I guess Letestu and guys that were true believers in everything he was selling. But, he did throw other guys under the bus a lot. He pretty much told Schultz to get the hell off the team in his interview after a game. I wonder if he really did confront players that much personally, maybe he didn't. Maybe the media stuff was actually how he talked to them. Then there was practice and video time going over mistakes as a group, and woodcroft's custom mistakes videos for individuals, and if players couldn't learn all they need from that, then they might find themselves sitting out (unless they were Lucic, Letestu or whatever other favourites he had).

I didn't view him as a teacher really at all. He let his elite guys free wheel, he had system ideas that never really seemed to ever stick or be consistently used in an effective way with all the non-elite guys that he just hoped could tread water while the elite guys were resting. After 3+ years, I still don't feel our players were going out there looking like they knew what their job was, which to me is the real measure of a coach. You can lose games still with good coaching because of a lack of talent and ability to score, but at the least, your players should look like they know what the hell they're supposed to be doing.

Ah well. I guess we'll find out soon how coach-able this team really is. If these guys don't start all looking like they understand what their job is under this coach, I won't know what to think anymore.

I can agree that it looks like McLellen wasn't able to be a good enough teacher for these young guys. You kept seeing a lot of the young guys doing the same mistake year after year. One thing I will say, is Hitch seems to be a good teacher because he is known for structure and making your teams overall defense better. Every team he has went too, their goals against dropped a lot. So maybe if Hitch can come in, teach some structure to these guys including McDavid, the guy that takes over next year will have a much better collection of hockey players.

Probably 2 different approaches to teaching. From witnessing, seems like Todd was the kind of teacher that walks into the class, tosses stuff up on the board, and leaves. Next time you see him will be the exam (game time). And if you fail and aren't on his favourite list, you'll know with less ice time or you'll be watching next game.

Hitch seems to enjoy the 1 on 1 stuff a lot more, what we all hoped Eakins was going to do, what Krueger and Nelson actually did.

Some more hitch comments from today from Spector:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dsjz7QZU8AA3CE6.jpg:large

Think this is something we've seen from lots of players on this team. Cheating to the defensive side of the puck, playing scared. I never understood why Lucic is always bailing from the net. Wonder if Hitch is actually going to get him to screen goalies properly haha.

I don't think Hitch is a long term solution for the Oilers. The fact that he is only signed until the end of the season says that as well. But one of the things that could be a real positive with this situation is Hitch really has nothing to lose or worry about. He doesn't have to make friends with any of the players. He doesn't have to worry about long term relationships. He's just coaching for this season and to do as well as he possibly can. So if he has to get in a guys face and piss him off a little to make him do the right thing finally, he can do it. If he has to grind on these guys a little harder to get them to finish a play properly instead of only doing 3/4, to not cheat for offense like they all still do, to do push a little harder, grind in the corner that extra bit to win a puck battle, battling a little harder to get a puck out, change lines at the proper time (looking at you Puljujarvi) or what should be soooo simple but get a bloody puck in deep when you are supposed too, he can do all that with no worry on the future relationship. I am thinking about the Couture goal where Klefbom has the puck and he doesn't get it in deep like he is supposed too on a line change and 15 seconds later, it's in the net. All those little things that the Oilers younger guys, McDavid included at times, don't do all the time that make ALL the difference in a game.

McLellan was supposed to be more of a players coach. I am sure he wanted and tried to get all his players to do all the little things they were supposed too including some of the things I listed but he probably didn't grind on the players or rip a strip off them when they don't do it like Hitch will. They tried the nice guy for a while and he got the players probably 3/4 of the way, it might be time to bring in the task master to get that critical last 1/4 that McLellan couldn't get.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 November 2018 08:31]

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #21) [message #722996 is a reply to message #722957 ]
Thu, 22 November 2018 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I think McLellan may have been dad to guys like McDavid, Drai, Lucic, Nuge, and I guess Letestu and guys that were true believers in everything he was selling. But, he did throw other guys under the bus a lot. He pretty much told Schultz to get the hell off the team in his interview after a game. I wonder if he really did confront players that much personally, maybe he didn't. Maybe the media stuff was actually how he talked to them. Then there was practice and video time going over mistakes as a group, and woodcroft's custom mistakes videos for individuals, and if players couldn't learn all they need from that, then they might find themselves sitting out (unless they were Lucic, Letestu or whatever other favourites he had).

I didn't view him as a teacher really at all. He let his elite guys free wheel, he had system ideas that never really seemed to ever stick or be consistently used in an effective way with all the non-elite guys that he just hoped could tread water while the elite guys were resting. After 3+ years, I still don't feel our players were going out there looking like they knew what their job was, which to me is the real measure of a coach. You can lose games still with good coaching because of a lack of talent and ability to score, but at the least, your players should look like they know what the hell they're supposed to be doing.

Ah well. I guess we'll find out soon how coach-able this team really is. If these guys don't start all looking like they understand what their job is under this coach, I won't know what to think anymore.

I think there's a lot of bad coaches out there with pretty archaic ideas about what works. The problem is that it's really hard to quantify good coaching - a bad coach with a good team can win, a goalie or star player can pull a team forward in spite of the coach sometimes, a brilliant coach can still lose a critical game to bad luck, or have a roster that can't overcome superior opposition.

I heard Ryan Whitney talking about Michel Therrien recently on his podcast. He said that when Therrien took over as Penguins' head coach, he had one-on-ones with all the players...that part sounds reasonable and like something you'd want the coach to do. Apparently though, it was a verbal harangue where he yelled at many of the players, told them they were playing like @#$%, that they got the previous guy fired, that it's all their fault and that they aren't going to do that with him.

Somehow, I just don't believe that adult men need to be screamed at and belittled to get the best out of them. I worry that Hitchcock may be in that mold. The comments from Brodziak about how hard he is on guys is concerning, and some of the stories that have come up (Brenden Morrow, for example) shouldn't give anyone a lot of confidence.

I don't think you usually get the most out of people through fear. I'd much rather see a Krueger-type who inspires his players than an old-school guy who yells and screams a lot. That always seems like it's more about the coach than it is about anything else. He wants to be the story...

I'm skeptical of the hire...I think that like Quinn, Hitchcock may be a dinosaur. His best seasons are now almost 20 years behind us.

That said, it's a different voice and that alone is good for this team. Maybe he won't have McLellan's failings of sheer stubbornness, god awful special teams, players under the bus constantly in a public fashion, and idiotic systems designed on trying futilely reduce risk to zero in every situation.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #21) [message #722999 is a reply to message #722996 ]
Thu, 22 November 2018 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 22 November 2018 11:18

I think there's a lot of bad coaches out there with pretty archaic ideas about what works. The problem is that it's really hard to quantify good coaching - a bad coach with a good team can win, a goalie or star player can pull a team forward in spite of the coach sometimes, a brilliant coach can still lose a critical game to bad luck, or have a roster that can't overcome superior opposition.

I heard Ryan Whitney talking about Michel Therrien recently on his podcast. He said that when Therrien took over as Penguins' head coach, he had one-on-ones with all the players...that part sounds reasonable and like something you'd want the coach to do. Apparently though, it was a verbal harangue where he yelled at many of the players, told them they were playing like @#$%, that they got the previous guy fired, that it's all their fault and that they aren't going to do that with him.

Somehow, I just don't believe that adult men need to be screamed at and belittled to get the best out of them. I worry that Hitchcock may be in that mold. The comments from Brodziak about how hard he is on guys is concerning, and some of the stories that have come up (Brenden Morrow, for example) shouldn't give anyone a lot of confidence.

I don't think you usually get the most out of people through fear. I'd much rather see a Krueger-type who inspires his players than an old-school guy who yells and screams a lot. That always seems like it's more about the coach than it is about anything else. He wants to be the story...

I'm skeptical of the hire...I think that like Quinn, Hitchcock may be a dinosaur. His best seasons are now almost 20 years behind us.

That said, it's a different voice and that alone is good for this team. Maybe he won't have McLellan's failings of sheer stubbornness, god awful special teams, players under the bus constantly in a public fashion, and idiotic systems designed on trying futilely reduce risk to zero in every situation.

I do like Hitch's comments yesterday about the "I" generation. How you need to meet half way with them, and maybe the coach needs to even go beyond half way to start. At the least there are lots of quotes of Hitch over the couple years that he gets you can't be a tyrant with the players today. Still can't let them get away with slacking, but trying to teach them what you want them to do and the value of what you're trying to sell, he's probably far more willing to make that a discussion than Mclellan. And beyond just the selling, I would bet what Hitch is selling is a heck of a lot more valuable and has a better chance to work at game time than what Mclellan was selling.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #21) [message #723001 is a reply to message #722999 ]
Thu, 22 November 2018 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 22 November 2018 11:23

I do like Hitch's comments yesterday about the "I" generation. How you need to meet half way with them, and maybe the coach needs to even go beyond half way to start. At the least there are lots of quotes of Hitch over the couple years that he gets you can't be a tyrant with the players today. Still can't let them get away with slacking, but trying to teach them what you want them to do and the value of what you're trying to sell, he's probably far more willing to make that a discussion than Mclellan. And beyond just the selling, I would bet what Hitch is selling is a heck of a lot more valuable and has a better chance to work at game time than what Mclellan was selling.

What makes me a bit hopeful is we've given up something that clearly was NOT working to try something different. We've stopped beating our head on that wall. It's yet to be seen if we've just chosen a different wall, but it's progress at least.

And it feels like the ground under Chiarelli is shakier than ever. Hopefully when that finally gives way it takes AT LEAST Nicholson along with it, if not a couple of the Old Boys too...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #21) [message #723002 is a reply to message #723001 ]
Thu, 22 November 2018 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 22 November 2018 11:28

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 22 November 2018 11:23

What makes me a bit hopeful is we've given up something that clearly was NOT working to try something different. We've stopped beating our head on that wall. It's yet to be seen if we've just chosen a different wall, but it's progress at least.

And it feels like the ground under Chiarelli is shakier than ever. Hopefully when that finally gives way it takes AT LEAST Nicholson along with it, if not a couple of the Old Boys too...

Ok, but I'm here to help you get more hyped.

Did you hear him talk about how our guys are bailing from scoring areas too quickly, cheating for D?

Did you hear how he wants forwards staying closer to our D and puck carriers in our zone and providing better passing options? That's the same change Sullivan made after Johnston was doing the stupid camping out at the blue line and neutral zone stuff forcing D to always make stretch passes.

Come on, get hyped!

https://hypixel.net/proxy/aHR0cDovL2ZhdC5nZnljYXQuY29tL0FjdHVhbEZlaXN0eUJldHRvbmcuZ2lm/image.png

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #21) [message #723003 is a reply to message #723002 ]
Thu, 22 November 2018 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 22 November 2018 11:49

Ok, but I'm here to help you get more hyped.

Did you hear him talk about how our guys are bailing from scoring areas too quickly, cheating for D?

Did you hear how he wants forwards staying closer to our D and puck carriers in our zone and providing better passing options? That's the same change Sullivan made after Johnston was doing the stupid camping out at the blue line and neutral zone stuff forcing D to always make stretch passes.

Come on, get hyped!

Those are positives. I do like encouraging more offence, and I can't imagine many coaches have McLellan's stupid theory of only the first line tries to outscore the opposition...

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #21) [message #723013 is a reply to message #723003 ]
Thu, 22 November 2018 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

....an early look at Hitchcok's possible line combinations for Friday afternoon....

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-oilers-on-the-ice-for-p ractice-in-anaheim/c-302204208

..."Forward lines are:

Caggiula - McDavid - Draisaitl
Spooner - Nugent-Hopkins - Chiasson
Lucic - Brodziak - Kassian
Khaira - Marody - Rattie
P.Russell

Defence pairings:

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - K.Russell
Gravel - Benning
Garrison"...

...no indication which goalie looks like Friday's starter....

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #21) [message #723016 is a reply to message #722996 ]
Thu, 22 November 2018 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 22 November 2018 10:18

His best seasons are now almost 20 years behind us.

I have seen similar statements around the web. Like you, I am skeptical. But if Hitchcock has anything, it is a standout regular season record. That includes this decade. His record with St. Louis and Dallas is 290-156-49 spanning from 2011-18. And I don't see the evidence of stunting production of top players. We can look at Pietrangelo, Tarasenko, and Klingberg as examples that refute that. Overall his teams do score less, and give up less too. I just don't see it with top players.

All of that said though, I am tired of the Oilers hiring the warm body. Hitchcock, Edmonton born Team Canada staple, is the closest guy the Oilers could possibly hire outside of the 80's boys. There have always been rumblings of Hitchcock returning to his hometown throughout the years. I am jealous of how St. Louis is handling their situation. Hiring an interim and the GM publicly casting a net from NHL coaches to junior to Europe. Wouldn't that be nice?

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #21) [message #723027 is a reply to message #723016 ]
Thu, 22 November 2018 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 22 November 2018 15:01

Adam wrote on Thu, 22 November 2018 10:18

His best seasons are now almost 20 years behind us.

I have seen similar statements around the web. Like you, I am skeptical. But if Hitchcock has anything, it is a standout regular season record. That includes this decade. His record with St. Louis and Dallas is 290-156-49 spanning from 2011-18. And I don't see the evidence of stunting production of top players. We can look at Pietrangelo, Tarasenko, and Klingberg as examples that refute that. Overall his teams do score less, and give up less too. I just don't see it with top players.

All of that said though, I am tired of the Oilers hiring the warm body. Hitchcock, Edmonton born Team Canada staple, is the closest guy the Oilers could possibly hire outside of the 80's boys. There have always been rumblings of Hitchcock returning to his hometown throughout the years. I am jealous of how St. Louis is handling their situation. Hiring an interim and the GM publicly casting a net from NHL coaches to junior to Europe. Wouldn't that be nice?

I'm not all in on the Hitchcock hiring. Time will tell, but he is third all time in games won and I think he's a pretty safe bet as a short term solution. You also would like to think that even though he's 66 years old, he can and has adapted to the game as it changes. From what I've heard in a couple of his interviews that appears to be the case. There's also no substitute for experience, especially coming into as difficult a situation as this one. I think he has a good chance to fix it but it's like he said, the players all have to buy in.( It's a lot more fun winning than losing.) In this case I think being from Edmonton is a plus. He will have pretty big fan support right from the start.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #21) [message #723036 is a reply to message #723027 ]
Thu, 22 November 2018 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

....looks like Koskinen will get the start in goal tomorrow rock rock ....and Lucic will be on the second PP unit doh doh

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/pre-game-report-oilers-at-du cks/c-302202122?tid=282301100

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #21) [message #723037 is a reply to message #723036 ]
Thu, 22 November 2018 17:57 Go to previous message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Thu, 22 November 2018 17:39

....looks like Koskinen will get the start in goal tomorrow rock rock ....and Lucic will be on the second PP unit doh doh

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/pre-game-report-oilers-at-du cks/c-302202122?tid=282301100

Don't mind Lucic on the 2nd unit. Hitch needs to figure out what he can get out of him. But, at the same time, good to not let him potentially drag the 1st unit down.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #21) [message #722947 is a reply to message #722945 ]
Wed, 21 November 2018 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 21 November 2018 10:29

Not sure why I felt this win was a loss, I was like oh they won, okay, next devoid of emotion. I just think this is Pat Quinn 2.0 and while they won I'm not sure who that team was. It's my feeling and I own it.. off base or not.

That's just the beaten down Oilers fan talking. Hard to take anything but a positive out of an Oilers win, other than the Pacific opponent got a point. Game was roughly 12 hours into the Hitchcock era. I enjoyed a win.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #22)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #21)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca