This day on June 17
Acquired: Josef Beranek (1989) Tommy Lehmann (1989) Darcy Martini (1989) Anatoli Semenov (1989) Peter White (1989)

Happy Birthday To: Ontario_Oilfan, SusieQ, Nicholas, ALWAYS OIL, oilerob, oilers99, Limsanity

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » The Future of Jesse PuljujärviPages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #721903 is a reply to message #721898 ]
Thu, 08 November 2018 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Thu, 08 November 2018 09:03

....hopefully this won't bias the poll and I know Jim Matheson doesn't have any positive sway around here, but he suggests Puljujarvi would benefit from a trip to Bakersfield, while Yamamoto should stay with the Oilers because he is more involved...my choice isn't one of the poll options...send them both to Bakersfield....give them lots of ice time and tutor them in practice (don't the Oilers have roaming advisors like Paul Coffey and the Gretzkys coming out of the wazoo???...

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oiler s/time-for-edmonton-oilers-to-make-decision-on-jesse-puljuja rvi/wcm/72f57a5b-c92e-48a1-ab01-5add092c4aa2

You are forgetting that "Skills Coach" is more of an honorary title around here.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #722411 is a reply to message #721085 ]
Sat, 17 November 2018 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

2 Cups

So maybe the problem all along is that we've had Jesse playing out of his natural position... never mind, this just reaffirms how much of a whack job Ek is. Lists 4 teams that are interested in acquiring Puljujarvi the CENTRE because they lack scoring from their current CENTRES.

I guess you can make this **** up.

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Puljujarvi-4-Teams-In terested---Whose-Centers-Arent-Scoring/1/96001

Survivor 52 CHAMP

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #722624 is a reply to message #722411 ]
Mon, 19 November 2018 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

4 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Sat, 17 November 2018 12:17

So maybe the problem all along is that we've had Jesse playing out of his natural position... never mind, this just reaffirms how much of a whack job Ek is. Lists 4 teams that are interested in acquiring Puljujarvi the CENTRE because they lack scoring from their current CENTRES.

I guess you can make this **** up.

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Puljujarvi-4-Teams-In terested---Whose-Centers-Arent-Scoring/1/96001

I go to Hockeybuzz just to see what the guy has to say and I couldn't agree more about what you said about him. The 4 teams he listed I 100% agree need center help but Puljujarvi has NEVER played center. He never played center as a young player, no one ever said he could ever be a center. He is 100% a winger. I don't take what Eklund says very serious but this was by far his worst.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #730690 is a reply to message #721085 ]
Fri, 15 February 2019 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Bob Nicholson after the Chiarelli firing;

“I have to emphasize that we’re not giving up our future.”
“We're going to push back that we want our younger players to develop more in the American Hockey League. We bring them up a little bit too early. I think we need to leave them down there until they're overripe."

23 days later;

“Oilers had discussion with Markus Lehto, agent for Jesse Puljujarvi today. Team is open to trading him if a proper return can be found, and in the meantime an AHL stint to help boost offence and confidence is being considered. No decisions yet.” (Via Ryan Rishaug)

Survivor 52 CHAMP

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #730693 is a reply to message #730690 ]
Fri, 15 February 2019 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 15 February 2019 10:50

“We're going to push back that we want our younger players to develop more in the American Hockey League. We bring them up a little bit too early. I think we need to leave them down there until they're overripe."

23 days later;

“Oilers had discussion with Markus Lehto, agent for Jesse Puljujarvi today. Team is open to trading him if a proper return can be found, and in the meantime an AHL stint to help boost offence and confidence is being considered. No decisions yet.” (Via Ryan Rishaug)

The Plan²

These people are clueless. Merrily skipping from self-created disaster to self-created disaster.

This is fine.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #730699 is a reply to message #730693 ]
Fri, 15 February 2019 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 15 February 2019 11:14

23 days later;

The Plan²

These people are clueless. Merrily skipping from self-created disaster to self-created disaster.

The hilarious piece is that JUST YESTERDAY, Keith Gretzky was talking about how they need to find wingers...so of course today they leak that they're contemplating chasing another young one with potential out of town...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #730702 is a reply to message #730699 ]
Fri, 15 February 2019 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 15 February 2019 11:20

23 days later;

The Plan²

The hilarious piece is that JUST YESTERDAY, Keith Gretzky was talking about how they need to find wingers...so of course today they leak that they're contemplating chasing another young one with potential out of town...

Clueless. A collection of total incompetence from top to bottom. They never had any idea what they were doing with him. At what point to the agents start pointing fingers rather than just whispering?

This is fine.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #730708 is a reply to message #730702 ]
Fri, 15 February 2019 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 15 February 2019 11:26

23 days later;

The Plan²

Clueless. A collection of total incompetence from top to bottom. They never had any idea what they were doing with him. At what point to the agents start pointing fingers rather than just whispering?

If you were an NHL agent representing a UFA and you have a handful of options for your client, how much of a premium do you start asking for to come to Edmonton? I mean, you almost have to tell the client that it's only worth doing if all you care about is maxing out your earnings because those incompetents aren't going to win anything but they're just stupid enough to pay you whatever you want while the team spins its wheels.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #730711 is a reply to message #730708 ]
Fri, 15 February 2019 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 15 February 2019 11:32

23 days later;

The Plan²

If you were an NHL agent representing a UFA and you have a handful of options for your client, how much of a premium do you start asking for to come to Edmonton? I mean, you almost have to tell the client that it's only worth doing if all you care about is maxing out your earnings because those incompetents aren't going to win anything but they're just stupid enough to pay you whatever you want while the team spins its wheels.

I would fire my client if he signed for Edmonton. Seriously. The only reason to come to Edmonton is if no one else will sign you. This place is a blackhole for careers and success. However, if no one else will sign my player, that player has grit and heart and really believes in what they're doing and the plan (version 3 or 4 - whatever). I'll take a 3 year contract with a limited no trade please.

This is fine.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #730722 is a reply to message #730711 ]
Fri, 15 February 2019 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 15 February 2019 11:35

23 days later;

The Plan²

I would fire my client if he signed for Edmonton. Seriously. The only reason to come to Edmonton is if no one else will sign you. This place is a blackhole for careers and success. However, if no one else will sign my player, that player has grit and heart and really believes in what they're doing and the plan (version 3 or 4 - whatever). I'll take a 3 year contract with a limited no trade please.

Hey - you get 3 points on every dollar that you get your client, and the Oilers are desperate and stupid. You're getting offered a couple years at $3MM per, well, the Oilers will give you $4MM per season for three! Four years if you tell Kevin Lowe that you admire all his Cup Rings! And as the agent, you just made an extra $300K on that contract!

You would have to caution them that A) they'll never win anything there and they're likely to hate their time with the team, and that you'll start working overtime to get them traded in Year 2 of the deal...

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #730725 is a reply to message #730722 ]
Fri, 15 February 2019 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 15 February 2019 11:53

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 15 February 2019 11:35

23 days later;

The Plan²

Hey - you get 3 points on every dollar that you get your client, and the Oilers are desperate and stupid. You're getting offered a couple years at $3MM per, well, the Oilers will give you $4MM per season for three! Four years if you tell Kevin Lowe that you admire all his Cup Rings! And as the agent, you just made an extra $300K on that contract!

You would have to caution them that A) they'll never win anything there and they're likely to hate their time with the team, and that you'll start working overtime to get them traded in Year 2 of the deal...

"First season, we'll fake an 4-6 week injury right after the all star game when the playoff hopes finally and mercifully die. You take a week in Cancun, then come back with a gutty, but ultimately failed effort to get into the playoffs. They'll probably hire your brother as a scout because you're so gritty. Next season, you get traded to a contender at the deadline... don't buy a house"

Yeah, ok. I could be sold on that.

This is fine.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #730736 is a reply to message #730690 ]
Fri, 15 February 2019 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

1 Cup

That sounds to me like spin for "JP is done with the Oilers and wants out ASAP."

Good for him. He can still save his career.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #730749 is a reply to message #730736 ]
Fri, 15 February 2019 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Jay wrote on Fri, 15 February 2019 14:47

That sounds to me like spin for "JP is done with the Oilers and wants out ASAP."

Could you blame him? Is given a chance to play with Nugent-Hopkins though he makes one gaff and is banished to Brodziak/Cave where he has to seemingly play a few perfect games before being given another chance to back to the land of making one mistake and be punished.

Survivor 52 CHAMP

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731083 is a reply to message #730749 ]
Mon, 18 February 2019 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

Seems like stalemate. He won’t go down so they ir him so he knows he’s not getting a trade. Only Steve y can make a deal in these circumstances see drouin.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731084 is a reply to message #730749 ]
Mon, 18 February 2019 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 15 February 2019 16:02

Could you blame him? Is given a chance to play with Nugent-Hopkins though he makes one gaff and is banished to Brodziak/Cave where he has to seemingly play a few perfect games before being given another chance to back to the land of making one mistake and be punished.

Man, that would be so amazing if we could get a Sergachev type player...

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731572 is a reply to message #730749 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 15 February 2019 16:02

Could you blame him?

Only for signing in the first place. Their first overall pick this year should seriously consider refusing to sign in Edmonton. It just isn't worth ruining your career until the buffoons on Kingsway are replaced.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731085 is a reply to message #721085 ]
Mon, 18 February 2019 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

He's really done nothing with the Oilers and hasn't been spectacular in the minors. I know the default for nearly everyone is blame the organization, but should we not at least expect some success at any level from a player.

He is RFA this summer. He doesn't really have much leverage. I guess someone could come with an offer sheet, but if it's under 4 mill I'm sure the Oilers will match, and I can't see a team spending 4+ million + 1st + 3rd to acquire him.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731089 is a reply to message #731085 ]
Mon, 18 February 2019 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

3 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 18 February 2019 21:55

He's really done nothing with the Oilers and hasn't been spectacular in the minors. I know the default for nearly everyone is blame the organization, but should we not at least expect some success at any level from a player.

If this was the first such case, I could buy that. But this keeps happening. Guys come in and have their best years as rookies/first year Oilers, and then nothing. And these aren’t late draft Hail Marys. These are cream of the crop prospects.

Absolutely nobody had him lower than 4th. Yakupov was a concensus 1OA pick (who was tied for the rookie scoring lead). Gagner had a great 49 point rookie season and only ever topped that once in his career, 50 pts, 10 years later. RNH, another concensus 1OA, looked like a complete stud in his rookie year. I had never seen edge work like that before. Also tied for the rookie scoring lead. Now? Would he even be top 10 in a redraft? I suppose, but top 5? Doubtful. Still a useful player, but light years behind Schiefle, Kucherov, and Gaudreau. Probably behind Couturier, Landeskog, and Huberdeau at this point.

I mean if they “luck out” and get Jack Hughes and he busts with us? Again all the player’s fault? How many ruined prospects before we finally say there might be a problem?

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731091 is a reply to message #731089 ]
Mon, 18 February 2019 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 18 February 2019 19:41

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 18 February 2019 21:55

Gagner had a great 49 point rookie season and only ever topped that once in his career, 50 pts

*so far

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731092 is a reply to message #731089 ]
Mon, 18 February 2019 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

We can Magnus Paajarvi to that list as well. Best year was his rookie year (15 goals, 34 points). Still floundering as a marginal NHLer.

Linus Omark....best year was his rookie year. A promising 27 points in 51 games. Now out of the league.

Anton Lander...played 56 NHL games with the Oilers in his first pro North American season. Now he doesn't even have an NHL contract, despite having some 1+ point per game AHL seasons.

Cogliano...best year was his rookie year with 45 points. Has made a very stable bottom 6 career in Anaheim, but again another topout in their rookie year.

It's not Puljujarvi's fault, and I think it's too late to salvage anything.

Clean house or bust

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731095 is a reply to message #731092 ]
Mon, 18 February 2019 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 18 February 2019 20:30

We can Magnus Paajarvi to that list as well. Best year was his rookie year (15 goals, 34 points). Still floundering as a marginal NHLer.

Linus Omark....best year was his rookie year. A promising 27 points in 51 games. Now out of the league.

Anton Lander...played 56 NHL games with the Oilers in his first pro North American season. Now he doesn't even have an NHL contract, despite having some 1+ point per game AHL seasons.

Cogliano...best year was his rookie year with 45 points. Has made a very stable bottom 6 career in Anaheim, but again another topout in their rookie year.

It's not Puljujarvi's fault, and I think it's too late to salvage anything.

I did a big post about this once. It was staggering how many players came in, peaked and then fell away. Add Nilsson & Schultz...to the above list.

Another fun one to look at is how many players fell apart after signing with Edmonton. Sure, we made some terrible moves like Nikitin - where he was a healthy scratch in his last Columbus season a few times, but there's a lot of decent depth signings who just fell off a cliff here. Rieder's having a terrible year, but it's not like that's a script we haven't seen a dozen times before.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731130 is a reply to message #731095 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

4 Cups

The Oilers have done a poor job in developing JP. But from the otherside I do not like how the JP camp is against the AHL. It doesn't make it right but that might partially explain why they seem to be so hell bent on keeping him up when it's so clear he's in over his head. To me it seems like both team and player are screwing up his development

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731156 is a reply to message #731130 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 11:04

The Oilers have done a poor job in developing JP. But from the otherside I do not like how the JP camp is against the AHL. It doesn't make it right but that might partially explain why they seem to be so hell bent on keeping him up when it's so clear he's in over his head. To me it seems like both team and player are screwing up his development

Team could override player, but they don’t.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731160 is a reply to message #731130 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 10:04

Does any player really ever want to go down to the AHL? There are probably some that recognize that it's what's best for them. I doubt, given the choice, that many would choose to go to the AHL. It's the organization's responsibility to determine where a player should play.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19 pace: 234 GF / 274 GA (-40)

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731166 is a reply to message #731160 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 15:55

Does any player really ever want to go down to the AHL? There are probably some that recognize that it's what's best for them. I doubt, given the choice, that many would choose to go to the AHL. It's the organization's responsibility to determine where a player should play.

Naw, I'm sure every kid if given the choice would like to see their salary go from 10k/game down to around 1k/game. I'm sure the agents are always happy about that too.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731168 is a reply to message #731166 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 18:19

Naw, I'm sure every kid if given the choice would like to see their salary go from 10k/game down to around 1k/game. I'm sure the agents are always happy about that too.

Solid reasoning. Not sure why he wouldn’t wanna catch the first flight out! Or... bus?

Survivor 52 CHAMP

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731170 is a reply to message #731168 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 17:34

Solid reasoning. Not sure why he wouldn’t wanna catch the first flight out! Or... bus?

Every time I hear Rishaug talk about Pulju lately, he alludes to "promises" that may have been made between the org and Pulju. I guess Pulju may have given up a good salary in Finland to come over here before we had to bring him. And our team is pretty horrible at negotiating anything. I wonder if he got a promise to stick around in the NHL lineup for at least X number of games each year to make it worth his while, vs the 70k/year AHL salary.

Can never put it past this team to have done stupid stuff.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731172 is a reply to message #731170 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 18:39

Every time I hear Rishaug talk about Pulju lately, he alludes to "promises" that may have been made between the org and Pulju. I guess Pulju may have given up a good salary in Finland to come over here before we had to bring him. And our team is pretty horrible at negotiating anything. I wonder if he got a promise to stick around in the NHL lineup for at least X number of games each year to make it worth his while, vs the 70k/year AHL salary.

Also... perhaps it went as deep as promises for certain ice time, linemates, etc.

Didn’t they do something like this with JSchultz?

Survivor 52 CHAMP

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731173 is a reply to message #731172 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 17:43

Also... perhaps it went as deep as promises for certain ice time, linemates, etc.

Yeah, pretty sure they did with Jultz, a promise of ice time and PP time. Krueger had to go to Whitney and tell him there was nothing he could do to make it up the D depth chart. ANd schultz got to just half arse the last month+ of the season playing zero D to get points for his Schedule B bonus (still remember the golden boys celebrating like they won the cup when schutlz got his point for the bonus).

Pulju didn't have to sign his 3 year deal so soon. He could have signed a nice deal in finland for an extra year, very likely for better than the 70k AHL salary.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731177 is a reply to message #731173 ]
Tue, 19 February 2019 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 18:50

Yeah, pretty sure they did with Jultz, a promise of ice time and PP time. Krueger had to go to Whitney and tell him there was nothing he could do to make it up the D depth chart. ANd schultz got to just half arse the last month+ of the season playing zero D to get points for his Schedule B bonus (still remember the golden boys celebrating like they won the cup when schutlz got his point for the bonus).

Pulju didn't have to sign his 3 year deal so soon. He could have signed a nice deal in finland for an extra year, very likely for better than the 70k AHL salary.

That’s right! Good grief. Have to wonder if something was promised then, if not outright at least the hint of it. All things considered, they (the Oilers org) likely still would have found a way to miscast, destroy confidence of, and greatly harm his development, because... Oilers.

Survivor 52 CHAMP

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731355 is a reply to message #731177 ]
Thu, 21 February 2019 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 19 February 2019 17:07

That’s right! Good grief. Have to wonder if something was promised then, if not outright at least the hint of it. All things considered, they (the Oilers org) likely still would have found a way to miscast, destroy confidence of, and greatly harm his development, because... Oilers.

I just wonder. Why didn't JP learn English earlier? I know he's from some remote part of Finland. But he had to have had an agent at like 15 or 16 right? Wouldn't the agent or someone advise him to learn English? A serious player would learn English if a north american career was the goal right? Was he just trying to get some money out of a quick three year entry deal? Then back home to sign said lucrative European league contract? Would explain why he and his agent wont accept the AHL pay cut. Would explain the alleged agreement with the Oilers of minimum games if JP came over early. Would explain why the Finnish GM in Columbus passed on him. Some insider knowledge?

Not trying to let the Oilers off the hook. I know developing young prospects is not their forte. I also think JP and his agent must realize a successful NHL career trumps a European career money wise. Maybe he'd rather live and play in Sweden/Finland after a quick cash grab.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731358 is a reply to message #731355 ]
Thu, 21 February 2019 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Xombie wrote on Thu, 21 February 2019 03:16

I just wonder. Why didn't JP learn English earlier? I know he's from some remote part of Finland. But he had to have had an agent at like 15 or 16 right? Wouldn't the agent or someone advise him to learn English? A serious player would learn English if a north american career was the goal right? Was he just trying to get some money out of a quick three year entry deal? Then back home to sign said lucrative European league contract? Would explain why he and his agent wont accept the AHL pay cut. Would explain the alleged agreement with the Oilers of minimum games if JP came over early. Would explain why the Finnish GM in Columbus passed on him. Some insider knowledge?

Not trying to let the Oilers off the hook. I know developing young prospects is not their forte. I also think JP and his agent must realize a successful NHL career trumps a European career money wise. Maybe he'd rather live and play in Sweden/Finland after a quick cash grab.

I can't imagine it would be a long term plan for Pulju to be in Europe back in 2016. The amount of money you can make in the NHL far exceeds anything you could accomplish back there. I'd guess he was just very confident in his abilities then and figured he could just do his thing in the NHL and be a good player. Ended up being a lot harder, but at the same time, his handling give him an excuse he can point at for it being harder than it should have been.

By all accounts, it sounds like he grew up in a tiny town that didn't seem to follow the countries rules to make kids learn English in grade school. You're not supposed to be able to get through the education system over there and be as horrible at English as he was when he was drafted. Plus, he left home in his early teens to live with a bunch of other boys without any parents so he could play hockey. He might just be a Ryan Smyth kind of kid, not that smart, but good at hockey and that's all he cared about. Now it's super hard for him to learn another language. Imagine if Smyth had to learn Finnish starting at 18? :) Thankfully it does look like he's finally making some ground up, can still learn just by living in a place that speaks the language you're trying to learn, even if you are terrible at learning by reading and memorizing on your own.

Just overall a crap situation, and the only way it could have all not mattered is if Pulju ended up being a top tier elite guy, like a Panarin that was able to just do his thing without speaking any english his first year in Chicago. Pulju isn't that good unfortunately, and every mistake from our team and by him and his agent has lead us to a pretty bad stop right now. But, still have a chance to salvage it, if Nicholson can do the impossible and get a proper management group together, and if Pulju can rebuild some confidence this year in the AHL.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731387 is a reply to message #731358 ]
Thu, 21 February 2019 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 21 February 2019 07:00

I can't imagine it would be a long term plan for Pulju to be in Europe back in 2016. The amount of money you can make in the NHL far exceeds anything you could accomplish back there. I'd guess he was just very confident in his abilities then and figured he could just do his thing in the NHL and be a good player. Ended up being a lot harder, but at the same time, his handling give him an excuse he can point at for it being harder than it should have been.

By all accounts, it sounds like he grew up in a tiny town that didn't seem to follow the countries rules to make kids learn English in grade school. You're not supposed to be able to get through the education system over there and be as horrible at English as he was when he was drafted. Plus, he left home in his early teens to live with a bunch of other boys without any parents so he could play hockey. He might just be a Ryan Smyth kind of kid, not that smart, but good at hockey and that's all he cared about. Now it's super hard for him to learn another language. Imagine if Smyth had to learn Finnish starting at 18? :) Thankfully it does look like he's finally making some ground up, can still learn just by living in a place that speaks the language you're trying to learn, even if you are terrible at learning by reading and memorizing on your own.

Just overall a crap situation, and the only way it could have all not mattered is if Pulju ended up being a top tier elite guy, like a Panarin that was able to just do his thing without speaking any english his first year in Chicago. Pulju isn't that good unfortunately, and every mistake from our team and by him and his agent has lead us to a pretty bad stop right now. But, still have a chance to salvage it, if Nicholson can do the impossible and get a proper management group together, and if Pulju can rebuild some confidence this year in the AHL.

The reason I wonder is that Jokerit plays in the KHL and you can be in Finland and still make some good coin. Tax free too I hear. Or so claims Bob and Louie on Oilers now this afternoon.

It will suck if we lose JP for nothing like a 4th rounder or he just retreats back to Europe.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731389 is a reply to message #731387 ]
Thu, 21 February 2019 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Xombie wrote on Thu, 21 February 2019 13:05

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 21 February 2019 07:00

The reason I wonder is that Jokerit plays in the KHL and you can be in Finland and still make some good coin. Tax free too I hear. Or so claims Bob and Louie on Oilers now this afternoon.

It will suck if we lose JP for nothing like a 4th rounder or he just retreats back to Europe.

Yeah, that probably becomes a risk now, since Pulju has not been able to get his feet under him in the NHL. I just meant that when he signed his ELC, and possibly extracted a promise for 40+ games on the NHL roster each year from the Oilers, I can't imagine he was expecting his career to go like it has. I'm sure he had an optimistic view that he would be signing a nice 2nd NHL contract around now for many millions.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731576 is a reply to message #731160 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Exactly this. I'd be worried about players WANTING to play in the AHL instead of the NHL. You want to be the best you can be, you want the challenge. You want players playing hard in the AHL in hopes of playing in the NHL.

That doesn't mean the player gets the final say in the matter. You have to do what is best for the organization, what is best for the player.

It's why I've never understood letting the players flounder in the NHL for a half season before sending them to junior or the AHL (Puljujarvi, Draisaitl).

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731373 is a reply to message #721085 ]
Thu, 21 February 2019 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

The best thing for Puli in my opinion would probably just have been consistency whether in the AHL or the NHL. Just show enough confidence in the young man's abilitiies to play him in the same spot even if it's lower in the line up for at least a good stretch so he can start to find his groove. He appears to have the same mental weaknesses as Yakupov, can't handle constantly being jerked around. Because winning is the priority in the NHL they won't do that and so they really should have left him in the A or even Finland for a couple of seasons but... hindsight. The player does need to own some of it though, maybe he's not getting the advice he needs from the people around him who are suppose to be there looking after his best interest. The pressure of winning enough to make the playoffs with a team that is just not good enough to compete at a high level trumps everything and Jesse is another casualty of that.High expectations that come with being a top draft pick aren't easy to live up to for some players.( even the ones that are fluent in english ) I think there's a player there and they should be patient with him and not sell low myself. ( you could play him lower in the line up and give him PP time with McDavid ) They really haven't put the kid in a position to succeed but then that's pretty typical for this outfit.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731377 is a reply to message #731373 ]
Thu, 21 February 2019 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

Thank you NHL.Com! Love the endorsement article:

https://www.nhl.com/news/behind-the-numbers-value-at-trade-d eadline/c-305034780

Hopefully the Oilers get top dollar/a top player for JP!

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731378 is a reply to message #731373 ]
Thu, 21 February 2019 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

1 Cup

It looks like Puljujarvi's stay in IR will be extended.

https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7C twcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

"May be more injury news on Puljujarvi soon. Has a lower body injury and is currently on IR, could be longer than originally expected."

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731577 is a reply to message #721085 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

I wonder if this could become a Nichushkin-type situation where he goes to Europe for a few seasons and then comes back. Of course, the bridge didn't seems burned between Dallas and Nichushkin the way it is with the Oilers and Puljujarvi.

And it's not like Nichushkin is exactly tearing it up in Dallas upon his return.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731725 is a reply to message #721085 ]
Sun, 24 February 2019 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

2 Cups

From Larry Brooks in the NYPost;

Jesse Puljujarvi is on IR with a lower-body injury that may cost him significant time. So he is not likely to be dealt by Monday. But the 2016 fourth-overall winger wouldn’t have been on the move anyway, not with Oilers interim GM Keith Gretzky insisting that interested parties also be willing to pick up the final four years of Milan Lucic’s deal at an annual $6 million cap hit.

Survivor 52 CHAMP

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #731738 is a reply to message #731725 ]
Sun, 24 February 2019 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 24 February 2019 10:21

From Larry Brooks in the NYPost;

Jesse Puljujarvi is on IR with a lower-body injury that may cost him significant time. So he is not likely to be dealt by Monday. But the 2016 fourth-overall winger wouldn’t have been on the move anyway, not with Oilers interim GM Keith Gretzky insisting that interested parties also be willing to pick up the final four years of Milan Lucic’s deal at an annual $6 million cap hit.

So Pull-your-rv is the sweetener to dump Looch?! Juicy! Is that Brooks guy one to be taken seriously? Does he write up click bait or is he somewhat connected? I know Tortorella hates him.

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Hypothetical ‘BIG’ trade...
Next Topic:2019 UFA Crop
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca