This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722237]
Tue, 13 November 2018 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Montreal to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722244 is a reply to message #722237 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

The bleeding stops. Didn't spot the other team 2, Koskinen made some saves. 3 goals from the D.

I say play Koskinen until he loses.

Should have been 9-2. Niemi saved his big stops for LD, who could have had 4 or 5..

We'll see whether the skid was an aberration or not. Is it the answer to have LD up on the top line? Will Talbot elevate his game first to mediocre, then above that?

Have to have a strong game against the Flames and try to get things back on track.

[Updated on: Tue, 13 November 2018 21:46]

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722245 is a reply to message #722244 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 13 November 2018 21:41

The bleeding stops. Didn't spot the other team 2, Koskinen made some saves. 3 goals from the D.

I say play Koskinen until he loses.

Should have been 9-2. Niemi saved his big stops for LD, who could have had 4 or 5..

B2B coming up this weekend so yeah, play him against the Flames.

Go from there. It’s about wins.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722249 is a reply to message #722237 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Looked like a different team, they play better in front of Koskinen for sure. Wait and see what they bring next game but if they can play like that that more often.....

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722252 is a reply to message #722249 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

My trepidation over Koskinen is waning. I don’t fully trust him, but I want to see more.

Another great game by Kassian.

Top line performed. Second line looked better as the game progressed. They were hemmed in early.

I’m guessing the book on Niemi is high bicker side?

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722257 is a reply to message #722252 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lew19  is currently offline Lew19

No Cups

I say run with Koskinen until his wheels fall off. They play way better in front of him. And clearly he is the better option to go to this year, for now. At 4-1 records and a 2.52 GAA, let him earn that 2.5mill.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722258 is a reply to message #722257 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Lew19 wrote on Tue, 13 November 2018 23:16

I say run with Koskinen until his wheels fall off. They play way better in front of him. And clearly he is the better option to go to this year, for now. At 4-1 records and a 2.52 GAA, let him earn that 2.5mill.

They'll have to start Talbot in one game this weekend (I'm guessing against Vegas), but after that is a lazy trip through California (3 games in 6 nights with 2 in the same relative city), so they could run with Koskinen. They should, it'll give Talbot some time to get his crap together and realize he's playing for a new contract. Right now, I'm not seeing how he gets re-signed.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722259 is a reply to message #722258 ]
Wed, 14 November 2018 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Was hoping for a loss, in order to ramp up the coaching change.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722260 is a reply to message #722259 ]
Wed, 14 November 2018 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

....what a difference from the game against Colorado....full 60 minute effort from the team....full credit to McDavid for his leadership....

.....Koskinen uses his size to his advantage very well....goes down early, blockades the front of the net, and uses his glove to clean up the rest (he's pretty quick with it, I think)....not a Martin Jones or Rinne level goalie, but adequate for now...hope the rest of the NHL doesn't figure him out anytime soon...seems like the Oilers are responding in front of him very well right now...more so than Talbot....

Draisaitl had a wonderful game....should have had a boatload of points....didn't like him swapping with Nugent-Hopkins, but whatever works...

....good work by the defense in all zones....Benning is starting to show flashes of what he did two years ago and Russell is earning his paycheque....man, when Nurse can get that shot of his on target...

...hope Rieder is going to be okay...

...should be a fun game on Saturday in Calgary...don't get stale, boys...

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722261 is a reply to message #722260 ]
Wed, 14 November 2018 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Very good game by the Oilers. It's amazing what happens when you as a team shows up and actually tries.

You don't normally say good things about a goalie that gives up 6 goals but without Niemi, this is a 10 or 11 goal game easily. He robbed Leon alone what 5 times.

Solid game all around. Nice to see dmen score some goals. Nice to see 6 different players score. Koskinen looked good.

I would play Koskinen on Saturday and roll with him for a bit if he continues to play well. He's playing well, giving his team a chance to win, he looks confident, his rebound control is really good, the team plays well in front of him and he's just been better than Talbot. The Oilers seem to be a team that NEED to feel good about their goalie. What I mean is if they feel like their goalie will give them the saves when they need them, they play well. Even if the goalie gives up a few goals, as long as those goals aren't bad ones and they feel like he is making the saves he should, they are fine. When they don't feel like their goalie is on, they play like crap. The Habs beat Koskinen with 2 real good goals and it didn't phase the Oilers.

For this team, it has to be about trying to win games, not making Talbot feel better. If Talbot wants to play more, do the work, figure your game out and earn your net back. I was listening to the afternoon show yesterday and apparently Koskinen since he got here has been working with Schwartz every day on angles, positioning and rebound control. He is out there early working on his game. Now maybe they just didn't happen to mention Talbot but I haven't heard anything about Talbot putting in extra work on his game which quite frankly hasn't been that great this year and was lousy for most of last season.

It's still early, I still think his contract is a little much BUT if Koskinen keeps putting in the work and keeps playing well because of it and he gives the Oilers a chance to win, maybe his contract won't look as bad. It especially won't look as bad if he ends up almost splitting games and is the better goalie.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 November 2018 08:44]

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722268 is a reply to message #722237 ]
Wed, 14 November 2018 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

You see Coach Q? There's a team here! Definitely worth your time!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722270 is a reply to message #722237 ]
Wed, 14 November 2018 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Maybe McLellan is ahead of his time. Loading up the 1st line with your top guys. Lots of teams are doing it now. Screw it, I wanna see more McDavid/Drai goals :)

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722271 is a reply to message #722270 ]
Wed, 14 November 2018 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Just win games. I don't care how they do it, just win.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722274 is a reply to message #722237 ]
Wed, 14 November 2018 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

I'm getting more comfortable to seeing Koskinen in net, but you have to wonder with the pedigree that Talbot came into this org to see him regress so badly is concerning. Are the Oilers where good goaltenders go to die?

Niemi allowed 6 but like a lot of said he kept the team in it. What's happened to Montreal? Bergevin has killed his teams chances of remaining competitive and it started with the Subban trade something to this day never made sense, I wonder if another GM we know made a similar head scratcher?! Anyways..

Our defence is so poor save for Larsson and Russell and the continual loss of board battles is what's going to sink this team.

Good win though took opportunities when needed and Leon looks positively happy to be on Connor's wing.

Boy am I being critical or what of this team after a win. I need a snickers.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722277 is a reply to message #722274 ]
Wed, 14 November 2018 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 14 November 2018 10:24

I'm getting more comfortable to seeing Koskinen in net, but you have to wonder with the pedigree that Talbot came into this org to see him regress so badly is concerning. Are the Oilers where good goaltenders go to die?

Niemi allowed 6 but like a lot of said he kept the team in it. What's happened to Montreal? Bergevin has killed his teams chances of remaining competitive and it started with the Subban trade something to this day never made sense, I wonder if another GM we know made a similar head scratcher?! Anyways..

Our defence is so poor save for Larsson and Russell and the continual loss of board battles is what's going to sink this team.

Good win though took opportunities when needed and Leon looks positively happy to be on Connor's wing.

Boy am I being critical or what of this team after a win. I need a snickers.

When it comes to the goalies, I keep hearing - heard it yesterday again - how much extra work Koskinen has been doing. Apparently he's been with Schwartz every morning working on his angles, rebounds, etc and it sounds like it's more than just a back up trying to stay sharp. I don't hear Talbot doing extra work in the mornings or after practice. Now maybe he is and it's just not being reported but given that Talbot has struggled all year and how in Edmonton, there is so much media coverage where EVERYTHING is reported, I find it hard to believe if Talbot was indeed doing extra work to the extent that Koskinen apparently has been, it would go unnoticed.

To me it sounds like Koskinen is a lot hungrier than Talbot. He came over, he's the unproven guy, he needs a new contract and he wants to stay in the NHL. So he is doing what it takes to improve so he can stay. Where as Talbot has been in the NHL for a while, he's got 132 NHL wins, he's got more of a resume and knows he will have a NHL job next year no matter what. Koskinen came over, said he had to prove himself, when he was shaky in preseason said he needed to be better and has put in the work and continues to be better. Talbot all last year and this year has said he needs to be better. Well what is he doing to be better? Actions speak louder than words. One guy is working his ass off to improve and it appears to be showing, the other guy is saying a lot of the right things but looks to still be on cruise control thinking things will just get figured out.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722304 is a reply to message #722277 ]
Wed, 14 November 2018 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 14 November 2018 10:38

When it comes to the goalies, I keep hearing - heard it yesterday again - how much extra work Koskinen has been doing. Apparently he's been with Schwartz every morning working on his angles, rebounds, etc and it sounds like it's more than just a back up trying to stay sharp. I don't hear Talbot doing extra work in the mornings or after practice. Now maybe he is and it's just not being reported but given that Talbot has struggled all year and how in Edmonton, there is so much media coverage where EVERYTHING is reported, I find it hard to believe if Talbot was indeed doing extra work to the extent that Koskinen apparently has been, it would go unnoticed.

To me it sounds like Koskinen is a lot hungrier than Talbot. He came over, he's the unproven guy, he needs a new contract and he wants to stay in the NHL. So he is doing what it takes to improve so he can stay. Where as Talbot has been in the NHL for a while, he's got 132 NHL wins, he's got more of a resume and knows he will have a NHL job next year no matter what. Koskinen came over, said he had to prove himself, when he was shaky in preseason said he needed to be better and has put in the work and continues to be better. Talbot all last year and this year has said he needs to be better. Well what is he doing to be better? Actions speak louder than words. One guy is working his ass off to improve and it appears to be showing, the other guy is saying a lot of the right things but looks to still be on cruise control thinking things will just get figured out.

This is the kind of mindless media story that I hate, simply because it makes people doubt that this is pretty normal activity. The reporters are talking about something that's visible to them - we used to hear all the time about Hemsky being the first off after practice, but it was meaningless. There's lots of things done off-ice or away from the cameras.

It's great for media guys trying to tell a narrative to talk about what they see in practice, but it tells so little of the story that it's not worth taking seriously.

There's no evidence that Koskinen is taking his job more seriously than Talbot. There's no evidence that "Talbot is on cruise control." That's just a bad take.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722308 is a reply to message #722304 ]
Thu, 15 November 2018 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 14 November 2018 16:57

This is the kind of mindless media story that I hate, simply because it makes people doubt that this is pretty normal activity. The reporters are talking about something that's visible to them - we used to hear all the time about Hemsky being the first off after practice, but it was meaningless. There's lots of things done off-ice or away from the cameras.

It's great for media guys trying to tell a narrative to talk about what they see in practice, but it tells so little of the story that it's not worth taking seriously.

There's no evidence that Koskinen is taking his job more seriously than Talbot. There's no evidence that "Talbot is on cruise control." That's just a bad take.

Well since you are all knowing and the expert in here. What's your explanation as to Talbot's play? Talbot came here in the 2015 draft. At the time Schwartz was the goalie coach.

2015- First year as the starter. Brand new coach, goalie coach, system and defense so maybe you can excuse some adjustment time. The defense isn't that good. He struggles for the first 2 months. Is flat out not that good. Losses his job to Nilsson who is nothing more than a back up. Nilsson is brand new to the Oilers as well he does well but Talbot struggles. Talbot does something, I don't know what. He turns it around and plays well. Earns starters job and a new contract.

2016 - Same head coach, same system, same goalie coach, mostly the same defense. Defense is marginally better. Talbot was fantastic. Played 73 games, was 4th in line for the vesina, should have been in line for it. I am not 100% but I think he set a record for games played and wins for an Oilers goalie in a season. He was excellent from game 1. No issues with bad goals or letting first shot in.

2017 - Same head coach, same system, same goalie coach, mostly the same defense. Defense is without Sekera so it might not be quite as good but at the same time, other young dmen have more experience. Talbot was lousy in the preseason, awesome in game 1, was lousy from game 2 on. Was below .900 for almost the entire season, went on a hot streak towards the end of the year to get him above .900. He gave up a ton of bad goals, I think he set a record for giving up goals on the first shot. He sucked last year. The whole team had a bit of an off year but Talbot probably had one of the worst of the bunch. You can't win without goaltending. They let him play because they didn't have a back up. Was the defense not good enough? Yes. Was the system not good enough, most likely. But coaching and system has nothing to do with the amount of garbage goals he let in. Coaching and system has nothing to do with how poorly he handled rebounds. Coaching and system has nothing to do with setting a record for letting in first shots. Lots of those first shot goals weren't that great. Make a bloody save. So since you are all knowing Adam, what happened?

2018 - Same head coach, tweaked system, same goalie coach, mostly the same defense. The defense as a whole has been better. Contract year, so usually you see an up tick. Talbot himself in interviews said he was lousy and would be better. Apparently he trained harder and did extra work in the offseason. Came into this year. He was OK, not great in the preseason. They rode Talbot because they had no confidence in Koskinen. He was OK, not great, had a few stinker games in there. Finally put Koskinen, he's outstanding. Play Talbot, he's mediocre. Play Koskinen at home, he stood on his head. Talbot still mediocre in the next games he's in. Let's in bad goals and some first shots. Overall, Koskinen has been really good, Talbot hasn't been good. When you are below .900, you haven't been good. Each goalie plays for the same coaches, same system, same defense, same goalie coach. So since you are all knowing Adam, what has happened? Why the drastic difference in play? You can't blame the coaches or defense because they are the same. The same guys that do stupid things and give aways that cause great chances play in front of Koskinen. They give up the same bloody chances.

When it comes to the media, could they be just seeing Koskinen putting in the work and miss Talbot? I guess so. These guys basically tell us when any Oilers player wipes their nose so I have a hard time believing they would miss Talbot and extra practice. But it's possible. Do I think they would not be reporting Talbot putting in extra work? I do not think so. I read what all these guys write about Talbot on the papers and on all the fan sites. Talbot is their boy. They spend a ton of times propping up Talbot. I listen to the radio shows and these guys fall all over themselves trying to protect Talbot, trying to prop him up and tell us how the coaches need to be careful of Talbots feelings. I read and listened to how every media tore Koskinen apart. The signing was brutal (i agreed it was too much money at the time), they tore him apart about his preseason the camp, how unreliable he was, etc, etc. He was crap to them. So I have a hard time believing given the Talbot love in Edmonton that if Talbot was working his ass off that guys like Rishaugh, Nielson, Staffer, etc wouldn't be making sure that every singe one of us knew just how hard he was working. So something is up.

- He can't be tired because the Oilers schedule hasn't been that busy, we aren't even 20 games in, he's got lots of days off thanks to the schedule and Koskinen has started 5 out of 18 games. If you do that math and if they kept up that amount, Koskinen would start 23 games. That means Talbot is under 60 games. So perfect.

- You can't blame the coaches. Same guys, same system, same goalie coach.

- You can't blame the players. The same guys have been here pretty much all season except maybe rotating 1 player.

So if it isn't a case of Koskinen just being the hungrier guy, what is it? Having a save percentage of 23 pts less than the other guy is a hell of a lot. Having more than half a goal more a game is a hell of a lot.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722309 is a reply to message #722308 ]
Thu, 15 November 2018 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 15 November 2018 08:55

Well since you are all knowing and the expert in here. What's your explanation as to Talbot's play? Talbot came here in the 2015 draft. At the time Schwartz was the goalie coach.

2015- First year as the starter. Brand new coach, goalie coach, system and defense so maybe you can excuse some adjustment time. The defense isn't that good. He struggles for the first 2 months. Is flat out not that good. Losses his job to Nilsson who is nothing more than a back up. Nilsson is brand new to the Oilers as well he does well but Talbot struggles. Talbot does something, I don't know what. He turns it around and plays well. Earns starters job and a new contract.

2016 - Same head coach, same system, same goalie coach, mostly the same defense. Defense is marginally better. Talbot was fantastic. Played 73 games, was 4th in line for the vesina, should have been in line for it. I am not 100% but I think he set a record for games played and wins for an Oilers goalie in a season. He was excellent from game 1. No issues with bad goals or letting first shot in.

2017 - Same head coach, same system, same goalie coach, mostly the same defense. Defense is without Sekera so it might not be quite as good but at the same time, other young dmen have more experience. Talbot was lousy in the preseason, awesome in game 1, was lousy from game 2 on. Was below .900 for almost the entire season, went on a hot streak towards the end of the year to get him above .900. He gave up a ton of bad goals, I think he set a record for giving up goals on the first shot. He sucked last year. The whole team had a bit of an off year but Talbot probably had one of the worst of the bunch. You can't win without goaltending. They let him play because they didn't have a back up. Was the defense not good enough? Yes. Was the system not good enough, most likely. But coaching and system has nothing to do with the amount of garbage goals he let in. Coaching and system has nothing to do with how poorly he handled rebounds. Coaching and system has nothing to do with setting a record for letting in first shots. Lots of those first shot goals weren't that great. Make a bloody save. So since you are all knowing Adam, what happened?

2018 - Same head coach, tweaked system, same goalie coach, mostly the same defense. The defense as a whole has been better. Contract year, so usually you see an up tick. Talbot himself in interviews said he was lousy and would be better. Apparently he trained harder and did extra work in the offseason. Came into this year. He was OK, not great in the preseason. They rode Talbot because they had no confidence in Koskinen. He was OK, not great, had a few stinker games in there. Finally put Koskinen, he's outstanding. Play Talbot, he's mediocre. Play Koskinen at home, he stood on his head. Talbot still mediocre in the next games he's in. Let's in bad goals and some first shots. Overall, Koskinen has been really good, Talbot hasn't been good. When you are below .900, you haven't been good. Each goalie plays for the same coaches, same system, same defense, same goalie coach. So since you are all knowing Adam, what has happened? Why the drastic difference in play? You can't blame the coaches or defense because they are the same. The same guys that do stupid things and give aways that cause great chances play in front of Koskinen. They give up the same bloody chances.

When it comes to the media, could they be just seeing Koskinen putting in the work and miss Talbot? I guess so. These guys basically tell us when any Oilers player wipes their nose so I have a hard time believing they would miss Talbot and extra practice. But it's possible. Do I think they would not be reporting Talbot putting in extra work? I do not think so. I read what all these guys write about Talbot on the papers and on all the fan sites. Talbot is their boy. They spend a ton of times propping up Talbot. I listen to the radio shows and these guys fall all over themselves trying to protect Talbot, trying to prop him up and tell us how the coaches need to be careful of Talbots feelings. I read and listened to how every media tore Koskinen apart. The signing was brutal (i agreed it was too much money at the time), they tore him apart about his preseason the camp, how unreliable he was, etc, etc. He was crap to them. So I have a hard time believing given the Talbot love in Edmonton that if Talbot was working his ass off that guys like Rishaugh, Nielson, Staffer, etc wouldn't be making sure that every singe one of us knew just how hard he was working. So something is up.

- He can't be tired because the Oilers schedule hasn't been that busy, we aren't even 20 games in, he's got lots of days off thanks to the schedule and Koskinen has started 5 out of 18 games. If you do that math and if they kept up that amount, Koskinen would start 23 games. That means Talbot is under 60 games. So perfect.

- You can't blame the players. The same guys have been here pretty much all season except maybe rotating 1 player.

So if it isn't a case of Koskinen just being the hungrier guy, what is it? Having a save percentage of 23 pts less than the other guy is a hell of a lot. Having more than half a goal more a game is a hell of a lot.

There's a lot to unpack here:

1) Save percentage in a small sample size is significantly skewed by one or two good or bad performances. Small subsets aren't accurate way of measuring, because in any given game, an all-star goalie could have a stinker of a night, or could be faced with multiple high danger chances and the numbers could be terrible.

2) Who a goalie plays is important to a goalie's save percentage.

3) How the team plays is important to a goalie's save percentage.

4) How "hungry" a guy is rarely makes a difference in whether you stop a puck or not. Dubnyk didn't decide in 2013-14 that he didn't care as much about stopping pucks, and he wasn't likely significantly more hungry the year before or the year after. Talbot didn't come in to camp this year feeling like he didn't care, and two years ago it's unlikely he had a much different mindset.

I am going to ignore most of that historical stuff, because A) I don't think it's very relevant, and B) I only have so much time to dedicate to the response.

Let's look closer at the performance of the two guys:

Koskinen's played in 5 starts and one relief appearance. Two of those starts are against teams already well back of the playoffs. One more was against a wild card team. He's had two starts against really good teams - one of which he won, and the other where he got lit up. Against the worst teams, he has a shutout, and a .885 sv percentage win. Against Nashville, he won, despite a .889 save percentage. He had .857 against Tampa in his big loss, and he had a .931 in the win against Montreal. He was .923 against Colorado in relief, but he came in with Colorado already with a significant lead.

Most games, you can expect .900 is about the difference point between winning and losing. If both teams have ~30 shots, and the score is a pretty normal 3-2 or 4-3 game, then the goalie under .900 is losing and the one above is winning. That's simple way of looking at it, but it works for our purposes here. If you look at it that way, the Oilers have twice won games for Koskinen where he's under .900. They don't outscore in those games and we are looking at a 2-3 backup and no one is clamouring to give him the starting job.

Talbot's started 13 games, getting pulled once. He's played all contending teams other than Chicago and Florida (one W, one L). He's 5-8 in those games. In his losses, he's three times been over .900. In his wins, he's 4 times over .900 and one under.

I don't think the two goalies are as far apart as some feel here. Talbot's looked pretty solid in several games, including a 3-0 loss to the Predators, and he's had a handful of shaky starts. I do think the Oilers on the whole are giving up too many high quality chances, so I do feel that they're system play and team play are contributors here.

I think the top pairing defence has played better than they did last year, but everyone else is playing below par. Nurse is near team-worst in +/-. Russell's had his significant struggles. Benning's struggled. The sixth defenceman has basically been a different guy every night.

I know it's fashionable to blame the goalie, and everyone always loves the underdog back-up story, but the Oilers have used Koskinen against lesser opponents and he hasn't outperformed...you're looking at a guy who had a sub-.900 save percentage against the Detroit Red Wings...and Talbot, while he's struggled, isn't doing it because he's just not working hard enough.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722350 is a reply to message #722309 ]
Fri, 16 November 2018 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 15 November 2018 10:49

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 15 November 2018 08:55

There's a lot to unpack here:

1) Save percentage in a small sample size is significantly skewed by one or two good or bad performances. Small subsets aren't accurate way of measuring, because in any given game, an all-star goalie could have a stinker of a night, or could be faced with multiple high danger chances and the numbers could be terrible.

2) Who a goalie plays is important to a goalie's save percentage.

3) How the team plays is important to a goalie's save percentage.

4) How "hungry" a guy is rarely makes a difference in whether you stop a puck or not. Dubnyk didn't decide in 2013-14 that he didn't care as much about stopping pucks, and he wasn't likely significantly more hungry the year before or the year after. Talbot didn't come in to camp this year feeling like he didn't care, and two years ago it's unlikely he had a much different mindset.

I am going to ignore most of that historical stuff, because A) I don't think it's very relevant, and B) I only have so much time to dedicate to the response.

Let's look closer at the performance of the two guys:

Koskinen's played in 5 starts and one relief appearance. Two of those starts are against teams already well back of the playoffs. One more was against a wild card team. He's had two starts against really good teams - one of which he won, and the other where he got lit up. Against the worst teams, he has a shutout, and a .885 sv percentage win. Against Nashville, he won, despite a .889 save percentage. He had .857 against Tampa in his big loss, and he had a .931 in the win against Montreal. He was .923 against Colorado in relief, but he came in with Colorado already with a significant lead.

Most games, you can expect .900 is about the difference point between winning and losing. If both teams have ~30 shots, and the score is a pretty normal 3-2 or 4-3 game, then the goalie under .900 is losing and the one above is winning. That's simple way of looking at it, but it works for our purposes here. If you look at it that way, the Oilers have twice won games for Koskinen where he's under .900. They don't outscore in those games and we are looking at a 2-3 backup and no one is clamouring to give him the starting job.

Talbot's started 13 games, getting pulled once. He's played all contending teams other than Chicago and Florida (one W, one L). He's 5-8 in those games. In his losses, he's three times been over .900. In his wins, he's 4 times over .900 and one under.

I don't think the two goalies are as far apart as some feel here. Talbot's looked pretty solid in several games, including a 3-0 loss to the Predators, and he's had a handful of shaky starts. I do think the Oilers on the whole are giving up too many high quality chances, so I do feel that they're system play and team play are contributors here.

I think the top pairing defence has played better than they did last year, but everyone else is playing below par. Nurse is near team-worst in +/-. Russell's had his significant struggles. Benning's struggled. The sixth defenceman has basically been a different guy every night.

I know it's fashionable to blame the goalie, and everyone always loves the underdog back-up story, but the Oilers have used Koskinen against lesser opponents and he hasn't outperformed...you're looking at a guy who had a sub-.900 save percentage against the Detroit Red Wings...and Talbot, while he's struggled, isn't doing it because he's just not working hard enough.

OK, I can't resist anymore

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722351 is a reply to message #722350 ]
Fri, 16 November 2018 12:13 Go to previous message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

...Oilers leave for Calgary after a Friday morning practice....

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-practice-updates-1116/c -302000808

..."Lines at Friday's practice appear to be as follows:

Forwards

Caggiula - McDavid - Draisaitl

Chiasson - Nugent-Hopkins - Rattie

Lucic - Strome - Marody/P. Russell

Khaira - Brodziak - Kassian

Defencemen

Klefbom - Larsson

Nurse - Benning

Garrison/Gravel - K. Russell

Goaltenders

Talbot

Koskinen"....

.....Calgary coming off a tough loss to Montreal last night as Mike Smith muffed a couple of shots.....the Battle of Alberta makes Saturday night great again for those of us who need to get a life....

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722319 is a reply to message #722308 ]
Thu, 15 November 2018 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

I’m happy with Koskinen this far. I’m still unhappy with Talbot. But until Koskinen gets a larger sample size, I’m not counting the decimal points in averages and save percentages.

As far as practice. A reporter can’t get an accurate “give a damn” gauge from pregame skates and practices alone. I had a buddy that played goalie in the league for 16 years. There’s a multitude of reaction/reflex drills. Cardio. Yoga. Film galore.

In my opinion, the only way a reporter would have an idea regarding the “give a damn” gauge, is if a player gave an opinion off the record. And he would be relying on word only. If more than one player goes off the record.....he’s likely on to something.

He’s looked visually better and I’m intrigued to see what may be in store.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722344 is a reply to message #722319 ]
Fri, 16 November 2018 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 15 November 2018 18:19

I’m happy with Koskinen this far. I’m still unhappy with Talbot. But until Koskinen gets a larger sample size, I’m not counting the decimal points in averages and save percentages.

As far as practice. A reporter can’t get an accurate “give a damn” gauge from pregame skates and practices alone. I had a buddy that played goalie in the league for 16 years. There’s a multitude of reaction/reflex drills. Cardio. Yoga. Film galore.

In my opinion, the only way a reporter would have an idea regarding the “give a damn” gauge, is if a player gave an opinion off the record. And he would be relying on word only. If more than one player goes off the record.....he’s likely on to something.

A veteran reporter would have watched enough practices and enough struggling goaltenders to probably get an idea of who takes their craft seriously more than others. Goaltenders are human beings and individuals so there are different levels, but I'd say they might get a fairly accurate lay of the land.

I just question the benefit of reporting with this as the theme, while covering the team. If Talbot is on his game, he'll play...if not he'll sit. Hard to hide in a results oriented game. How he deals with improving in a contract year is up to him. Sink or swim.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722348 is a reply to message #722344 ]
Fri, 16 November 2018 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 16 November 2018 10:46

A veteran reporter would have watched enough practices and enough struggling goaltenders to probably get an idea of who takes their craft seriously more than others. Goaltenders are human beings and individuals so there are different levels, but I'd say they might get a fairly accurate lay of the land.

I just question the benefit of reporting with this as the theme, while covering the team. If Talbot is on his game, he'll play...if not he'll sit. Hard to hide in a results oriented game. How he deals with improving in a contract year is up to him. Sink or swim.

Our "veteran reporter" core includes lazy Spector, lapdog Rishaug, past-his-prime Matheson and lazy/past-his-prime Jones...

Most of this "they work hard at practice mumbo jumbo comes from these guys. Do you trust ANY of their analysis?

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722349 is a reply to message #722348 ]
Fri, 16 November 2018 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 16 November 2018 11:15

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 16 November 2018 10:46

Our "veteran reporter" core includes lazy Spector, lapdog Rishaug, past-his-prime Matheson and lazy/past-his-prime Jones...

Most of this "they work hard at practice mumbo jumbo comes from these guys. Do you trust ANY of their analysis?

I just don't think that innuendo on 'try' in looking at a goaltender's attempts at being better, is necessary in terms of reporting sports. They could be reading the tea leaves correctly, more so than someone not around the team and always watching, but I don't think this speculation is for the level of an NHL reporter...its more in the domain of the fan.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722333 is a reply to message #722308 ]
Fri, 16 November 2018 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

Talbot has had some mental struggles. Being a goalie has a lot to do with your mental state. Goals on the first shot are a problem and his PK work is a problem (this is a also a team problem but Talbot isn't helping).

A lot of different factors can affect a goalie's state of mind. Maybe he's not comfortable in the smaller equipment. Maybe he's not getting enough sleep at home.

We should also consider the possibility that he's not starter quality. Really good goalies can survive even when they're not at their best. It seems that Talbot needs to be dialed in just to be a passing starting goalie.

His SV% in the NHL has dropped almost every single year and he's over 30. Some guys don't age well. He may be re-entering the back-up stage of his career. I'm not giving up on him and he could have another 5 years in him (some goalies can last a long time). But if I'm GM, I am not relying on Talbot as a long-term option. He needs a 1B goalie at the least.

Koskinen has looked just OK to me. He has made some strong saves, but he still looks awkward to me (not a great skater) and I think he's more of a back-up than a starter. Anders Nilsson is a good comparable for him. Good at times but not really starter material. And that's OK. We wanted him to be a solid back-up and he's been providing it.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722338 is a reply to message #722333 ]
Fri, 16 November 2018 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Fri, 16 November 2018 09:29

Talbot has had some mental struggles. Being a goalie has a lot to do with your mental state. Goals on the first shot are a problem and his PK work is a problem (this is a also a team problem but Talbot isn't helping).

A lot of different factors can affect a goalie's state of mind. Maybe he's not comfortable in the smaller equipment. Maybe he's not getting enough sleep at home.

We should also consider the possibility that he's not starter quality. Really good goalies can survive even when they're not at their best. It seems that Talbot needs to be dialed in just to be a passing starting goalie.

His SV% in the NHL has dropped almost every single year and he's over 30. Some guys don't age well. He may be re-entering the back-up stage of his career. I'm not giving up on him and he could have another 5 years in him (some goalies can last a long time). But if I'm GM, I am not relying on Talbot as a long-term option. He needs a 1B goalie at the least.

Koskinen has looked just OK to me. He has made some strong saves, but he still looks awkward to me (not a great skater) and I think he's more of a back-up than a starter. Anders Nilsson is a good comparable for him. Good at times but not really starter material. And that's OK. We wanted him to be a solid back-up and he's been providing it.

Worth noting that for all the talk about Talbot letting in the first shot, Koskinen did the same thing last game. The Oilers were up, since they also scored on their first shot, but still...

The over 30 thing is worth watching with Talbot. He's no spring chicken. Some goalies (Roloson, for example) play well in to their late 30s, but if you slow even a little, it can make a big difference. Bill Ranford was only 34 when he retired, and he was a backup for the last few years before that.

Of course, Koskinen is also 30 with just 10 NHL games to his name...

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722336 is a reply to message #722304 ]
Fri, 16 November 2018 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 14 November 2018 16:57

This is the kind of mindless media story that I hate.

It's pretty reasonable for a media guy who watches goalies' routines (practice amounts, etc.) regularly, to comment on the amount of work a specific goalie is putting in.

They are reporting after all, so can only speculate based on what they have access to.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722339 is a reply to message #722336 ]
Fri, 16 November 2018 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Fri, 16 November 2018 09:47

It's pretty reasonable for a media guy who watches goalies' routines (practice amounts, etc.) regularly, to comment on the amount of work a specific goalie is putting in.

They are reporting after all, so can only speculate based on what they have access to.

I still don't think it's all that relevant. Does staying out with a goalie coach do much to help you if you're not getting shots taken on you in game situations? Is it the goalie who's asking for help? Or the goalie coach who's insisting he stay out? What does hard work look like for a goalie?

Really, all the comment is on is about time on the ice, which may not be relevant at all. It's all too reminiscent of the "Hemsky doesn't care because he leaves the ice quickly after practice" BS.

Speaking of practices, has anyone else noticed that this year's not-so-good opening video has extended clips of the Oilers in practice!?? Surely they could have come up with something better than that...

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722342 is a reply to message #722339 ]
Fri, 16 November 2018 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 16 November 2018 10:07

Speaking of practices, has anyone else noticed that this year's not-so-good opening video has extended clips of the Oilers in practice!?? Surely they could have come up with something better than that...

lol. Team with McDavid scoring 100+ points 2 year in a row needs practice video to pump the fans up?

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722347 is a reply to message #722342 ]
Fri, 16 November 2018 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 16 November 2018 10:30

lol. Team with McDavid scoring 100+ points 2 year in a row needs practice video to pump the fans up?

The game against the Avalanche was my first season ticket of the summer. I'd heard Gregor was critical of the opening video, but when I saw it, I just laughed. It's...not good. I don't know who came up with that concept, but it's really really weak.

There's probably not a team in the league who sees highlight reel plays as often as we do with McDavid here...and we're showing video of practice.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722345 is a reply to message #722339 ]
Fri, 16 November 2018 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Magnum wrote on Fri, 16 November 2018 09:47

I still don't think it's all that relevant. Does staying out with a goalie coach do much to help you if you're not getting shots taken on you in game situations? Is it the goalie who's asking for help? Or the goalie coach who's insisting he stay out? What does hard work look like for a goalie?

Really, all the comment is on is about time on the ice, which may not be relevant at all. It's all too reminiscent of the "Hemsky doesn't care because he leaves the ice quickly after practice" BS.

Hmmmm. I think it's literally the best info available. Might still not be great. Hemsky's je ne care pas attitude seemed pretty evident to me - so I go for that type of analysis.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722303 is a reply to message #722237 ]
Wed, 14 November 2018 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/oi lers-win-back-fickle-fans-with-big-win-over-montreal-canadie ns?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=15421710 13

What a dink Terry Jones is.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #722307 is a reply to message #722303 ]
Wed, 14 November 2018 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 14 November 2018 16:51

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/oi lers-win-back-fickle-fans-with-big-win-over-montreal-canadie ns?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=15421710 13

What a dink Terry Jones is.

VisuallyBetter @Isuckatpicking

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dr_lXB-UcAAsMUs.jpg

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Previous Topic:Yamamoto and Puljuljarvi Assigned to Condors
Next Topic:Oilers recall Patrick Russell
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca