This day on April 18
None

Happy Birthday To: spaz44, Formica, JDmassive, timothyparis12

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722210 is a reply to message #722209 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 13 November 2018 16:53

Adam wrote on Tue, 13 November 2018 16:40

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 13 November 2018 16:36

Quenneville coaching this team gets the Oilers where, exactly? Just mediocre enough where everyone gets to keep their jobs while wasting McDavid?

A) if they miss the playoffs this year, Chiarelli is toast. Lowe, Nicholson and the Red Wine Club are never ever leaving no matter what. It's depressing and probably will stunt what the team COULD do, but maybe you can succeed in spite of them eventually?

B) Quenneville's won three Cups and he's got some real credibility. Maybe he can help drive change from the inside? Apparently there was some friction with him and Bowman because he wasn't shy about letting his thoughts be known on some moves (ie. Saad/Panarin). I'm willing to give it a try. Even if it's only one name on my Arya-like termination list.

A) Why? Why is Chiarelli toast if the Oilers miss the playoffs? Because the hockey club has as a long history of holding executive accountable for their failings? A head coach MIGHT get fired if the season is bad enough but there's nothing to suggest the Oilers are ready to make another big move.

B) Seems like you're listing reasons why there's no hope of this latest savior coming to Edmonton. If Q is as smart as we think he is, why would he come to this situation? Unless there's a coaching lottery.

Money, McDavid and a challenge is what you hope Qunneville is interest in to come here.

Chia is definitely gone if he makes the coaching change and the team still struggles. He's not a true OBC member. He can be kicked to the curb like Tambo before him. Allowing him the one coach change puts him right up against the wall and completely on notice. He has no one left to blame at that point, especially if we now have a large money/term commitment to a coach that has actually won stuff in the NHL.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722213 is a reply to message #722210 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 13 November 2018 16:57

Quenneville coaching this team gets the Oilers where, exactly? Just mediocre enough where everyone gets to keep their jobs while wasting McDavid?

A) if they miss the playoffs this year, Chiarelli is toast. Lowe, Nicholson and the Red Wine Club are never ever leaving no matter what. It's depressing and probably will stunt what the team COULD do, but maybe you can succeed in spite of them eventually?

B) Quenneville's won three Cups and he's got some real credibility. Maybe he can help drive change from the inside? Apparently there was some friction with him and Bowman because he wasn't shy about letting his thoughts be known on some moves (ie. Saad/Panarin). I'm willing to give it a try. Even if it's only one name on my Arya-like termination list.

A) Why? Why is Chiarelli toast if the Oilers miss the playoffs? Because the hockey club has as a long history of holding executive accountable for their failings? A head coach MIGHT get fired if the season is bad enough but there's nothing to suggest the Oilers are ready to make another big move.

B) Seems like you're listing reasons why there's no hope of this latest savior coming to Edmonton. If Q is as smart as we think he is, why would he come to this situation? Unless there's a coaching lottery.

Money, McDavid and a challenge is what you hope Qunneville is interest in to come here.

Chia is definitely gone if he makes the coaching change and the team still struggles. He's not a true OBC member. He can be kicked to the curb like Tambo before him. Allowing him the one coach change puts him right up against the wall and completely on notice. He has no one left to blame at that point, especially if we now have a large money/term commitment to a coach that has actually won stuff in the NHL.

The team is also pretty sensitive to anger in the market. You've got David Staples writing negativity, that's a signal. Even Bob Stauffer was talking today about the comment about puck-moving defenceman saying "that was an...interesting comment."

I think Chia's leash is shorter by the day, and I don't think for a second that Lowe and the true Old Boys would hesitate to sacrifice him at the altar if it released a little of the pressure. It might actually be very satisfying for MacT seeing his successor fall flat.

I agree that the Oilers don't move quickly on this stuff, but it's really gone as bad as it could for Chiarelli...missing the playoffs last year was one thing, but then to have Hall drag the Devils there all by himself and win the MVP? To lose Reinhart in the expansion draft and then watch Barzal win the Calder? (even though the Oilers totally wouldn't have picked him anyhow - or Chabot who's going to win the Calder this year - like that totally excuses it.) To have Bob McKenzie call it a crime to miss the playoffs with McDavid on your roster? It's been the worst case scenario for Chiarelli and it has set up a situation where anything less than the playoffs this year gets him walking papers - no matter who the coach is.

As for why Quenneville comes here? Maybe he just loves a challenge and a swimming pool full of cash? As I said...dare to dream...there's a good chance Yawney or Gulutzan will just be interim coaches when McLellan finally is shown the door.

One thing though - the Oilers do love a free agent chase, and there was a rumour that the reason it took so long for them to do the pressers where everyone got the thumbs up to burn another year of Oilers hockey was that the real management was waiting to see if any really good options shook loose in the coaching ranks...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722214 is a reply to message #722213 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 13 November 2018 17:51

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 13 November 2018 16:57

The team is also pretty sensitive to anger in the market. You've got David Staples writing negativity, that's a signal. Even Bob Stauffer was talking today about the comment about puck-moving defenceman saying "that was an...interesting comment."

I think Chia's leash is shorter by the day, and I don't think for a second that Lowe and the true Old Boys would hesitate to sacrifice him at the altar if it released a little of the pressure. It might actually be very satisfying for MacT seeing his successor fall flat.

I agree that the Oilers don't move quickly on this stuff, but it's really gone as bad as it could for Chiarelli...missing the playoffs last year was one thing, but then to have Hall drag the Devils there all by himself and win the MVP? To lose Reinhart in the expansion draft and then watch Barzal win the Calder? (even though the Oilers totally wouldn't have picked him anyhow - or Chabot who's going to win the Calder this year - like that totally excuses it.) To have Bob McKenzie call it a crime to miss the playoffs with McDavid on your roster? It's been the worst case scenario for Chiarelli and it has set up a situation where anything less than the playoffs this year gets him walking papers - no matter who the coach is.

As for why Quenneville comes here? Maybe he just loves a challenge and a swimming pool full of cash? As I said...dare to dream...there's a good chance Yawney or Gulutzan will just be interim coaches when McLellan finally is shown the door.

One thing though - the Oilers do love a free agent chase, and there was a rumour that the reason it took so long for them to do the pressers where everyone got the thumbs up to burn another year of Oilers hockey was that the real management was waiting to see if any really good options shook loose in the coaching ranks...

Quenneville with 3 cup rings. Man, Lowe and Friends must be salivating looking at that. And bonus, we would be hiring him to do the same job he won his cup rings doing. That's a rare thing in this org among management/coaches.

Dare to dream...

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722188 is a reply to message #722162 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Lew19 wrote on Tue, 13 November 2018 00:48

You know if Mclellan once came out and said, " I've got to make some adjustments on my end, We as a group need to be better, execute better, so on so on"...I'd cut him some slack. But everytime I hear him, or Pete speak...To me it's like listening to the employee who's come in late for the 4th day in a row, and is telling me about his dog eating his car keys, while a tsunami hit, right after he was putting out his house fire that woke him up late...

I want someone in the Oilers upper group to not accept mediocrity. To not be ok with a 8-8-whatever record.

If we don't slap the Habs around 7-1, then you re not doing enough. That is the Oilers biggest weakness...No one responds...

I want to hear Cam Talbot say, "Man I have to stop letting in the first goal", and have Elliot Freedmen give a 1st period segment on how Cam's the first one to the rink every morning, last one off the ice...dedication,dedication,dedication... Own your short comings..Fix it..Be a professional.

But we re not hearing that. We're hearing /seeing....We don't have an answer ( we'll just put Drai/McDavid together again)...Caggiula on the top line. Nope...we're pushing our luck with Ty..Albeit he is performing, and couldn't be happier for him. When Zack, the guy who apparently asked for a trade, and was told, sure do it yourself....is the only one showing up against a division rival...You have more then a personal problem.

This team needs a coach who will lead them into the playoffs, and reel guys in when they're not performing. I'd love to see coach Q, but that's probably not happening, at least this season. I want someone abrasive, tough on the refs, has an entertaining presser, speaks the truth and owns the mistakes. And I want his most trusted qualified buddy to be our GM. We need Oilers type guys. Not Boston's left overs. Not the guy who trades Hall for Larsson. Or Seguin for whatever it was...beans? Hate to say it, but these days MacT doesn't look so bad...
But that's what I think we need. McDavid can not do this all by himself, although if anyone could, he's the best shot at it. But why put that on a 21 yr olds shoulders? Make a trade, fire a coach, but do something....

Until next time...

This is exactly it. Its been like this for so long now. Zero accountability for management, and a culture that revolves around setting the bar impossibly low every year and then somehow finding a way to fail to meet expectations.

The thing about this org is that every thing they say and do it about spin. They are so concerned with looking competent and convincing enough fans that they know what they are doing and that's really all that matters. If they can do that and people still show up every night and stuff bobby knicks burgers into their faces then they win. Fire a few fall guys, switch office chairs on Kingsway, rinse, repeat..

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722223 is a reply to message #722188 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 20:28 Go to previous message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

I mean, the owner is a drug dealer, so what do you expect?

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18)
Next Topic:Pregame: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca