This day on April 16
Acquired: Ty Conklin (2001)

Happy Birthday To: Ryno, Rifle, tollen, oiler-dude, oiler4life, Big T, MikeHawk, ryanbatty, jtb36, retirealreadymikekeane

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17)Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722092]
Sun, 11 November 2018 22:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Colorado to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722093 is a reply to message #722092 ]
Sun, 11 November 2018 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Let’s all head to Barry T’s.

I’m buying!

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722097 is a reply to message #722093 ]
Sun, 11 November 2018 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

g2k wrote on Sun, 11 November 2018 22:01

I’m buying!

Going to Slimelight instead, heard the Oilers are gonna be there....

deadhorse

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722101 is a reply to message #722093 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

g2k wrote on Sun, 11 November 2018 21:01

I’m buying!

While you are there, round up Coffey and messier and bring them back in your time machine...

Oh, and before you head here, sign them for $2 million .. long term!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722094 is a reply to message #722092 ]
Sun, 11 November 2018 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stotto  is currently offline stotto

No Cups

They're stinky!

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722096 is a reply to message #722094 ]
Sun, 11 November 2018 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

hate to rip on Talbot but it looks like he is done.....no denying he was a great acquisition, but he is starting to look like Tommy Salo Version 2.0...strong and All-Star worthy until he wasn't....can't quite figure it out...Talbot looked like he was back on top of his game during the pre-season but his regular season is pretty mediocre to put it kindly...he should be motivated with UFA status coming up and goalies who have good records cash in big....still lots of time for him to turn things around but I'm not going to bet the farm on it....

....good work by Kassian tonight...I still think he can be an asset to this team....

....the Oilers are not a good team when McDavid is stifled....Chiarelli and the rest of Oiler management should be very ashamed of themselves for not building a successful team around him....

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722100 is a reply to message #722096 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sun, 11 November 2018 22:23

hate to rip on Talbot but it looks like he is done.....no denying he was a great acquisition, but he is starting to look like Tommy Salo Version 2.0...strong and All-Star worthy until he wasn't....can't quite figure it out...Talbot looked like he was back on top of his game during the pre-season but his regular season is pretty mediocre to put it kindly...he should be motivated with UFA status coming up and goalies who have good records cash in big....still lots of time for him to turn things around but I'm not going to bet the farm on it....

....good work by Kassian tonight...I still think he can be an asset to this team....

....the Oilers are not a good team when McDavid is stifled....Chiarelli and the rest of Oiler management should be very ashamed of themselves for not building a successful team around him....

The reason Kassian looked good was because he was the only one (except for McD) who was playing like you're expected to at the NHL level, it takes a physical desire and commitment to go after a puck and take it away from another guy that wants it just as bad, you need to impose your will on what is going to happen on the ice, McD imposes his will with skill, speed, smarts, desire. Who else on the Oilers manages to find a way to impose his will on a game's outcome? Very short list.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722098 is a reply to message #722092 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Well that took me about 5 minutes to get through that PVR'd game, new record.
Oilers were outclassed, except for McD team, of B-class posers. You take almost any other NHL team, replace their No.1 guy with McD, and we'd be playoff bound.

Just an abysmal team, slow, low intensity, dopey, nobody interested in taking the body to get a puck, and a goalie that is mediocre at best, and reminds why he was claimed off the back-up scrap heap.

That first goal summed it up, nobody interested in stopping the play from happening.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722102 is a reply to message #722098 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 00:35

Oilers were outclassed, except for McD team, of B-class posers. You take almost any other NHL team, replace their No.1 guy with McD, and we'd be playoff bound.

Just an abysmal team, slow, low intensity, dopey, nobody interested in taking the body to get a puck, and a goalie that is mediocre at best, and reminds why he was claimed off the back-up scrap heap.

That first goal summed it up, nobody interested in stopping the play from happening.

Think I have seen us get the bare minimum out of anyone not playing on the top line long enough. Even Hall on the 2nd line here when McDavid came back from injury was nothing like the usual Hall. Something is rotten with this team and rotating players more isn't gonna fix it.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722103 is a reply to message #722102 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

We have some great players.

We just desperately need something good to happen.

Example: Kosko grabs a hold of his moment. This is his make or break moment.

But two words...nepotism, turnover.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722111 is a reply to message #722103 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Xombie wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 01:49

I hold no faith in Koskinen. I think he's had a couple good games, and his stats are a small sample size right now. I just have no belief that he's going to maintain that pace. There's not a lot of goalies who suddenly emerge at 30 years old...

Not to say it doesn't happen - Roloson & Tim Thomas are examples - but it's pretty rare.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722113 is a reply to message #722111 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 07:56

I hold no faith in Koskinen. I think he's had a couple good games, and his stats are a small sample size right now. I just have no belief that he's going to maintain that pace. There's not a lot of goalies who suddenly emerge at 30 years old...

Not to say it doesn't happen - Roloson & Tim Thomas are examples - but it's pretty rare.

Ya, if the fate of this season rests on whether Koskinen can be a #1 NHL goalie, then I dont like the Oilers chances.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722123 is a reply to message #722111 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 07:56

I know its rare. The Oilers literally need a player to come out of nowhere and be a bonafide NHLer in a key role. Either that or they need some luck.

I mean these could be contrived as excuses but if Sekera wasn't injury prone, or if one of Rienhart or Schultz could have stuck that would have gone a long way to helping this franchise.

Benning would be a perfect #7 d man and Caggullia a perfect #13 forward.

Just too much to overcome. Katz may be cursed. Must have made a deal with the devil to get his billions.

We have good players at the top end of the line up. Allot of teams struggle in the goal tending department (St. Louis. Phillly). We are in that list now.

I mean, I literally can't believe the Vancouver freaking Canucks have past us already.

Through it all, and I realize how difficult this will be, I think everyone (coach, players, GM, fans) need to stay patient. We were doing fine we're not a bottom dwelling team. Where did Yawney and
Gulitzen's influence go??

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722109 is a reply to message #722102 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 01:05

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 00:35

Think I have seen us get the bare minimum out of anyone not playing on the top line long enough. Even Hall on the 2nd line here when McDavid came back from injury was nothing like the usual Hall. Something is rotten with this team and rotating players more isn't gonna fix it.

Yeah, I'm not sure how everyone can be so down on Talbot already. He's not been a superstar, but the team in front of him has been pretty awful. Colorado had several point blank chances last night, and while he might have done better with the rebound on the first goal, there weren't any of the three that were all on Talbot.

Much like the Eakins' era, it's getting to the point where it's harder to truly assess individual players because the collective looks so bad.

We've seen coaches make playoff teams out of much weaker rosters than this. Those 1990s Oilers teams didn't have anything close to the weapons this team has, and contended year after year. Right now, our only chance is predicated on playing in the weakest division in hockey.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722114 is a reply to message #722109 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

So, MacT back behind the bench?

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722115 is a reply to message #722114 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Magnum wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 10:37

Supervising Woodcroft

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722116 is a reply to message #722114 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Honestly, it would be an upgrade. He was a terrible GM, but I thought MacT was a capable coach and he got more out of worse teams than we've seen from McLellan.

I don't think it's the right move - he's been out of that role for far too long to expect him to jump back in and be successful, and because of his Old Boys Club status, appointing him as bench boss would look like just more of the same, but it still would be better than the status quo...

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722118 is a reply to message #722116 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 09:47

Honestly, it would be an upgrade. He was a terrible GM, but I thought MacT was a capable coach and he got more out of worse teams than we've seen from McLellan.

I don't think it's the right move - he's been out of that role for far too long to expect him to jump back in and be successful, and because of his Old Boys Club status, appointing him as bench boss would look like just more of the same, but it still would be better than the status quo...

This is straight crazy. I don't know Adam, but he posts frequently enough I feel I know about him and his feelings towards the Oilers and the "old boys club".

Adam would rather have MacT back??? This is utter madness. I get we're all frustrated but whoooa!

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722121 is a reply to message #722118 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Xombie wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 11:36

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 09:47

This is straight crazy. I don't know Adam, but he posts frequently enough I feel I know about him and his feelings towards the Oilers and the "old boys club".

Adam would rather have MacT back??? This is utter madness. I get we're all frustrated but whoooa!

Haha...this is basically Sophie's Choice here...I'm just taking the lesser of two evils.

I don't know if I'd feel the same about him taking back the GM chair though...his awfulness there was pretty close to Chia levels of incompetence.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722099 is a reply to message #722092 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Fire McLellan, hire Q.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722112 is a reply to message #722092 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

This from Woodguy on the State of the Oilers:

Quote:

Oiler Goal Share after 17 games (8-8-1)

Even strength (5v5, 4v4, 3v3):
McDavid On Ice 15-11 (58%)
McDavid Off Ice 15-23 (39%)
Net EV -4

Special Teams (PP+shorties for - PK + shorties against):
14-16
Net ST -2

Empty Net: 2-4
Net EN -2

Net Goal Differential -8

#FireChia #FireMcLellan

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722122 is a reply to message #722112 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lew19  is currently offline Lew19

No Cups

I was honestly expecting to wake up to the news Mclellend had been let go. I think we re at that point. At least if our team was run properly. But being the Oilers, that's not how we do things. Look at how long it took them to can Eakins....The longer this team stays this way, the bigger joke this franchise becomes. Watching the Oilers, and then watching Boston/Toronto the other night, as well as Sens/Lightning, it's clear to me our systems play is awful. The breakout is..give it to McDavid, or dump and Chase. Same as the PP. Our pk is form a passive I formation, and stick challenge the outside. It's Savage how predictable we are, and then we have Talbot...who in my eyes is nearing his expiry date. Over worked, bad defense for years...this guy's confidence has to be shot. Sad state of affairs in Oil country yet again..

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722124 is a reply to message #722122 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stotto  is currently offline stotto

No Cups

Lew19 wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 11:55

I was honestly expecting to wake up to the news Mclellend had been let go. I think we re at that point. At least if our team was run properly. But being the Oilers, that's not how we do things. Look at how long it took them to can Eakins....The longer this team stays this way, the bigger joke this franchise becomes. Watching the Oilers, and then watching Boston/Toronto the other night, as well as Sens/Lightning, it's clear to me our systems play is awful. The breakout is..give it to McDavid, or dump and Chase. Same as the PP. Our pk is form a passive I formation, and stick challenge the outside. It's Savage how predictable we are, and then we have Talbot...who in my eyes is nearing his expiry date. Over worked, bad defense for years...this guy's confidence has to be shot. Sad state of affairs in Oil country yet again..

It's hard to expect change from a coach that seems as stubborn as a mule.

If Chiarelli had balls bigger than shrew he'd let Mclellan go very soon before all hopes are dashed of even coming close to making the playoffs.

How does this team go from playing over their heads ( or maybe just showing up and working hard) and beating some very good teams earlier in the schedule to this?

Coaching. Let one of the new assistants ( Mr. G.) step in and see what sort of results transpire.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722127 is a reply to message #722124 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

....looks like a few adjustments to the lines at Monday's practice...

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-practice-updates-1112/c -301860662?tid=281885062

....guess the idea of Draisaitl driving the second line is on hold for now

..."Lines at practice appeared to be:

Caggiula - McDavid - Draisaitl

Rieder - Nugent-Hopkins - Chiasson

Lucic - Strome/Marody - Rattie

Khaira - Brodziak - Kassian

Defence:

Klefbom - Larsson

Nurse - Benning

Garrison/Gravel - Russell"...

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722128 is a reply to message #722127 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 12:46

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-practice-updates-1112/c -301860662?tid=281885062

Defence:

Klefbom - Larsson

Nurse - Benning

McLellan has literally one solution when times get tough for this team - reunite Draisaitl and McDavid.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722187 is a reply to message #722128 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 13:00

Defence:

Klefbom - Larsson

Nurse - Benning

McLellan has literally one solution when times get tough for this team - reunite Draisaitl and McDavid.

lol look at the rest of the lineup! Holy crap. That's an organization that has had 4 1st overall picks, and what..like 9 top 10 picks in the last dozen years.

Pretty impressive level of incompetence to manage to take all of those assets and arrive here. Kevin Lowe is in a class by himself I'd say.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722137 is a reply to message #722127 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Defence:

Klefbom - Larsson

Nurse - Benning

https://darynkagan.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/screen-shot-2015-05-10-at-8-43-32-pm.png

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722139 is a reply to message #722092 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

McLellan weighs in (courtesy of Oilers twitter):

Quote:

"We've got to manage risk a little bit better & we've got to understand that every play has an impact on the game." Coach McLellan on #Oilers keys to snapping their current losing skid

Apparently the Oilers are just taking too many risks?!?! Not really how I saw that tire fire of a game last night...

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722144 is a reply to message #722139 ]
Mon, 12 November 2018 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 November 2018 14:59

McLellan weighs in (courtesy of Oilers twitter):

Quote:

"We've got to manage risk a little bit better & we've got to understand that every play has an impact on the game." Coach McLellan on #Oilers keys to snapping their current losing skid

Apparently the Oilers are just taking too many risks?!?! Not really how I saw that tire fire of a game last night...

Ah yes, the rabbit hole of playing more and more scared. We get to experience last season all over again!

Isn't it time to try to get Lucic a goal too?

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722162 is a reply to message #722144 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lew19  is currently offline Lew19

No Cups

You know if Mclellan once came out and said, " I've got to make some adjustments on my end, We as a group need to be better, execute better, so on so on"...I'd cut him some slack. But everytime I hear him, or Pete speak...To me it's like listening to the employee who's come in late for the 4th day in a row, and is telling me about his dog eating his car keys, while a tsunami hit, right after he was putting out his house fire that woke him up late...

I want someone in the Oilers upper group to not accept mediocrity. To not be ok with a 8-8-whatever record.

If we don't slap the Habs around 7-1, then you re not doing enough. That is the Oilers biggest weakness...No one responds...

I want to hear Cam Talbot say, "Man I have to stop letting in the first goal", and have Elliot Freedmen give a 1st period segment on how Cam's the first one to the rink every morning, last one off the ice...dedication,dedication,dedication... Own your short comings..Fix it..Be a professional.

But we re not hearing that. We're hearing /seeing....We don't have an answer ( we'll just put Drai/McDavid together again)...Caggiula on the top line. Nope...we're pushing our luck with Ty..Albeit he is performing, and couldn't be happier for him. When Zack, the guy who apparently asked for a trade, and was told, sure do it yourself....is the only one showing up against a division rival...You have more then a personal problem.

This team needs a coach who will lead them into the playoffs, and reel guys in when they're not performing. I'd love to see coach Q, but that's probably not happening, at least this season. I want someone abrasive, tough on the refs, has an entertaining presser, speaks the truth and owns the mistakes. And I want his most trusted qualified buddy to be our GM. We need Oilers type guys. Not Boston's left overs. Not the guy who trades Hall for Larsson. Or Seguin for whatever it was...beans? Hate to say it, but these days MacT doesn't look so bad...
But that's what I think we need. McDavid can not do this all by himself, although if anyone could, he's the best shot at it. But why put that on a 21 yr olds shoulders? Make a trade, fire a coach, but do something....

Until next time...

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722168 is a reply to message #722162 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I was at the game on Sunday. I had the day off on Monday for Remembrance Day. It was my buddies b-day on the Friday. We got to use a buddies company Loge seats. Had a reservation for Studio 99. It was going to be a good night. Then we went to the game.

Talbot was brutal on the first goal. Just an awful rebound on a pretty mediocre shot. How you spit out a rebound like that on a muffin is a mystery to me. Then Rantanen flubs on it but it sill goes in. McDavid looked terrible on that play. The 3rd goal was awful. Behind the goal, gets flipped out, hits him, it looked like it was in his glove and Talbot just dropped it in the goal. How that goes in, I still can't figure it out. It should never go in. It was the right call to pull him. He was brutal. His rebound control was horrible. I expected a bounce back from him, still waiting for it which is concerning. You can't win games without goaltending.

The rest of the team was just lousy. They couldn't make a 5 ft pass to save their life. They couldn't handle the puck, couldn't get it out of their zone, couldn't get it in the zone. Even McDavid was lousy. It was literally unwatchable and a few of us were from out of town so we left after the second period.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722169 is a reply to message #722168 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 13 November 2018 09:19

I was at the game on Sunday. I had the day off on Monday for Remembrance Day. It was my buddies b-day on the Friday. We got to use a buddies company Loge seats. Had a reservation for Studio 99. It was going to be a good night. Then we went to the game.

Talbot was brutal on the first goal. Just an awful rebound on a pretty mediocre shot. How you spit out a rebound like that on a muffin is a mystery to me. Then Rantanen flubs on it but it sill goes in. McDavid looked terrible on that play. The 3rd goal was awful. Behind the goal, gets flipped out, hits him, it looked like it was in his glove and Talbot just dropped it in the goal. How that goes in, I still can't figure it out. It should never go in. It was the right call to pull him. He was brutal. His rebound control was horrible. I expected a bounce back from him, still waiting for it which is concerning. You can't win games without goaltending.

The rest of the team was just lousy. They couldn't make a 5 ft pass to save their life. They couldn't handle the puck, couldn't get it out of their zone, couldn't get it in the zone. Even McDavid was lousy. It was literally unwatchable and a few of us were from out of town so we left after the second period.

Tellin ya, this team stopped trying on their side of the red line as soon as Quenneville went on the market. THis is the kind of payback a coach gets after throwing his team under the bus for every little mistake for 3+ years :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722183 is a reply to message #722169 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 13 November 2018 09:50

Tellin ya, this team stopped trying on their side of the red line as soon as Quenneville went on the market. THis is the kind of payback a coach gets after throwing his team under the bus for every little mistake for 3+ years :)

I saw Hossa penned a piece saying Quenneville was the best coach he ever played for...

#daretodream #fireMcLellan

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722184 is a reply to message #722183 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 13 November 2018 11:44

I saw Hossa penned a piece saying Quenneville was the best coach he ever played for...

It wouldn't make a lick of difference. The issues with the Oilers cannot be fixed with a coach.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722191 is a reply to message #722184 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 13 November 2018 12:06

It wouldn't make a lick of difference. The issues with the Oilers cannot be fixed with a coach.

Also could never win it all with this mediocre coach. So, could just say we could never fix the Oilers by ONLY changing management.

In the end, both need to be changed. And unfortunately, GM rule of thumb is they get a coach change to save their butts, so may as well get rid of this mediocre coach we have to get that process in motion.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722201 is a reply to message #722191 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 13 November 2018 13:48

Also could never win it all with this mediocre coach. So, could just say we could never fix the Oilers by ONLY changing management.

In the end, both need to be changed. And unfortunately, GM rule of thumb is they get a coach change to save their butts, so may as well get rid of this mediocre coach we have to get that process in motion.

Also, if you put an exceptionally qualified coach in place, it makes it tough for the next GM to make the change-for-the-sake-of-change coaching change, which is good, because the last thing we need is another short-term band-aid coach who's immediately replaced again at the end of the year. That's not that helpful.

And Quenneville's Chicago tenure shows he's A) top notch and B) able to survive a long time even in a situation where the GM didn't hire him and doesn't see eye to eye with him.

I also love that Quenneville's preferred fourth lines are always fast, young lines full of players pushing for spots up the lineup...Would be so nice to have a coach for once who didn't believe that the fourth line's role isn't simply to go out and hit a couple people and hope they saw off with the other team's fourth line.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722204 is a reply to message #722201 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 13 November 2018 16:32

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 13 November 2018 13:48

Also, if you put an exceptionally qualified coach in place, it makes it tough for the next GM to make the change-for-the-sake-of-change coaching change, which is good, because the last thing we need is another short-term band-aid coach who's immediately replaced again at the end of the year. That's not that helpful.

And Quenneville's Chicago tenure shows he's A) top notch and B) able to survive a long time even in a situation where the GM didn't hire him and doesn't see eye to eye with him.

I also love that Quenneville's preferred fourth lines are always fast, young lines full of players pushing for spots up the lineup...Would be so nice to have a coach for once who didn't believe that the fourth line's role isn't simply to go out and hit a couple people and hope they saw off with the other team's fourth line.

Quenneville coaching this team gets the Oilers where, exactly? Just mediocre enough where everyone gets to keep their jobs while wasting McDavid?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722205 is a reply to message #722204 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 13 November 2018 16:36

Quenneville coaching this team gets the Oilers where, exactly? Just mediocre enough where everyone gets to keep their jobs while wasting McDavid?

A) if they miss the playoffs this year, Chiarelli is toast. Lowe, Nicholson and the Red Wine Club are never ever leaving no matter what. It's depressing and probably will stunt what the team COULD do, but maybe you can succeed in spite of them eventually?

B) Quenneville's won three Cups and he's got some real credibility. Maybe he can help drive change from the inside? Apparently there was some friction with him and Bowman because he wasn't shy about letting his thoughts be known on some moves (ie. Saad/Panarin). I'm willing to give it a try. Even if it's only one name on my Arya-like termination list.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722209 is a reply to message #722205 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 13 November 2018 16:40

A) if they miss the playoffs this year, Chiarelli is toast. Lowe, Nicholson and the Red Wine Club are never ever leaving no matter what. It's depressing and probably will stunt what the team COULD do, but maybe you can succeed in spite of them eventually?

B) Quenneville's won three Cups and he's got some real credibility. Maybe he can help drive change from the inside? Apparently there was some friction with him and Bowman because he wasn't shy about letting his thoughts be known on some moves (ie. Saad/Panarin). I'm willing to give it a try. Even if it's only one name on my Arya-like termination list.

A) Why? Why is Chiarelli toast if the Oilers miss the playoffs? Because the hockey club has as a long history of holding executive accountable for their failings? A head coach MIGHT get fired if the season is bad enough but there's nothing to suggest the Oilers are ready to make another big move.

B) Seems like you're listing reasons why there's no hope of this latest savior coming to Edmonton. If Q is as smart as we think he is, why would he come to this situation? Unless there's a coaching lottery.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #722210 is a reply to message #722209 ]
Tue, 13 November 2018 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 13 November 2018 16:53

Adam wrote on Tue, 13 November 2018 16:40

A) Why? Why is Chiarelli toast if the Oilers miss the playoffs? Because the hockey club has as a long history of holding executive accountable for their failings? A head coach MIGHT get fired if the season is bad enough but there's nothing to suggest the Oilers are ready to make another big move.

B) Seems like you're listing reasons why there's no hope of this latest savior coming to Edmonton. If Q is as smart as we think he is, why would he come to this situation? Unless there's a coaching lottery.

Money, McDavid and a challenge is what you hope Qunneville is interest in to come here.

Chia is definitely gone if he makes the coaching change and the team still struggles. He's not a true OBC member. He can be kicked to the curb like Tambo before him. Allowing him the one coach change puts him right up against the wall and completely on notice. He has no one left to blame at that point, especially if we now have a large money/term commitment to a coach that has actually won stuff in the NHL.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18)
Next Topic:Pregame: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #18)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca