This day on April 20
None

Happy Birthday To: Nesticle, goffer48, The Goat, HezzyB, Oilbleeder, thesituation, Patorious

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721616]
Sat, 03 November 2018 19:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Detroit to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721619 is a reply to message #721616 ]
Sat, 03 November 2018 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73 is currently online Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Koskinen, the new 1b goalie! The prodigal son with 2 goals!

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721620 is a reply to message #721616 ]
Sat, 03 November 2018 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Piling up wins with the back up in net. This will only bode well down the road for this team.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721637 is a reply to message #721620 ]
Sun, 04 November 2018 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Sat, 03 November 2018 19:49

Piling up wins with the back up in net. This will only bode well down the road for this team.

This game was the free space on the bingo card, but the Oilers have given these away often enough in the past. They are the better team - Detroit is terrible this year - and they looked it all night. Just did what they should.

Still don't have a tonne of confidence in Koskinen. Three wins now, but Anders Nilsson had a hot start for us as well. We'll see if it lasts. I definitely thought he should have had a couple of the goals tonight - although that third one was something else.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721648 is a reply to message #721637 ]
Sun, 04 November 2018 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 04 November 2018 01:16

This game was the free space on the bingo card, but the Oilers have given these away often enough in the past. They are the better team - Detroit is terrible this year - and they looked it all night. Just did what they should.

Still don't have a tonne of confidence in Koskinen. Three wins now, but Anders Nilsson had a hot start for us as well. We'll see if it lasts. I definitely thought he should have had a couple of the goals tonight - although that third one was something else.

Yeah it’s hard not to remember Nilsson given the parallels.

And if he strings a couple more wins together the opponent scouting on him will be ramped up a lot throughout the league. Some goalies don’t do as well the second time around. How he would respond to that would answer some questions on him.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721669 is a reply to message #721648 ]
Sun, 04 November 2018 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Sun, 04 November 2018 11:13

Adam wrote on Sun, 04 November 2018 01:16

Yeah it’s hard not to remember Nilsson given the parallels.

And if he strings a couple more wins together the opponent scouting on him will be ramped up a lot throughout the league. Some goalies don’t do as well the second time around. How he would respond to that would answer some questions on him.

Saw a stat today on Koskinen - he’s become only the fourth Oilers netminder to win his first three starts as an Oiler. The others were Kari Takko, Curtis Joseph and Martin Gerber. Not exactly a guarantee of future success then...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721651 is a reply to message #721637 ]
Sun, 04 November 2018 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Seeing Koskinen in preseason, hard to see how he'd get a start. These are wins that they don't get last year, it has something to do with more competence in front of Koskinen than was there last year, but clearly he's earned some trust.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721621 is a reply to message #721616 ]
Sat, 03 November 2018 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Just a standard game where the better team wears down a weak team. Oilers outshot the Wings 42-26. Weren't getting any of the bounces, but still found a way.

How long before people start asking if last year was the anomaly and not two years ago?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721633 is a reply to message #721621 ]
Sun, 04 November 2018 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 03 November 2018 19:52

Just a standard game where the better team wears down a weak team. Oilers outshot the Wings 42-26. Weren't getting any of the bounces, but still found a way.

How long before people start asking if last year was the anomaly and not two years ago?

It's remarkable what a little bit of confidence can do for a team. I know I said it on numerous occasions last year that the team could compete and we weren't far away, all it needed was a run of wins to build up it's confidence. We've got that little run of games and the confidence and self belief is back with the team, my worry is what happens after a couple of bad games, how they then bounce back. They did so at the start of the season, but that's always a different time to in the middle of it.

Back to the game, I thought that playing Koskinen back to back was a great move, apart from his confidence being high and it sending a signal to Talbot, it also grants Talbot some rest and the more we do that the better. We've bemoaned about the amount of ice time McDavid and Kleftbom have had, but the same for Talbot, and just as McDavid's ice time drops so is Talbot.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721622 is a reply to message #721616 ]
Sat, 03 November 2018 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

8-4-1 is a pretty good record.

Nice feeling when a team can get multiple fluke goals on you and your team still wins.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721623 is a reply to message #721616 ]
Sat, 03 November 2018 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Can't fault Koskenin on the third and fourth goals, just bad luck that the Wings kept it so close but that's pretty typical. Good team effort and nice to see Brodziak get a couple. Needed to keep pace with the Canucks and Flames. Koskenin making a case for more starts.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721624 is a reply to message #721616 ]
Sat, 03 November 2018 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Conner only played 18:12. Slacker.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721625 is a reply to message #721616 ]
Sat, 03 November 2018 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

Like the look of the second line. Fourth finally getting going now it’s only the third that’s MIA.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721631 is a reply to message #721625 ]
Sat, 03 November 2018 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

Mullet wrote on Sat, 03 November 2018 20:05

Like the look of the second line. Fourth finally getting going now it’s only the third that’s MIA.

I don't think any team ever truly possesses 4 productive lines for any good stretch throughout a season. Perhaps in the playoffs. But this is unrealistic to expect.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721632 is a reply to message #721631 ]
Sat, 03 November 2018 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

philly boy wrote on Sat, 03 November 2018 22:55

I don't think any team ever truly possesses 4 productive lines for any good stretch throughout a season. Perhaps in the playoffs. But this is unrealistic to expect.

Fair but the secondary scoring was weak. Little to nothing out of strome, Lucic and puljarvi. At least brodziak and kassian hit the board.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721652 is a reply to message #721631 ]
Sun, 04 November 2018 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

philly boy wrote on Sat, 03 November 2018 22:55

Yeah, have to agree, you want your bottom 6 to at least saw off with their counterparts, not get lit up. Rare to have everyone going consistently.

Rattie is ready, but doesn't immediately draw in, Yamamoto is still a scratch...and that speaks a bit to the performance of guys down the lineup. Like to see the 3rd line put some numbers on the sheets though, if we're looking for a line that underperformed against Detroit, it was them. I think JP might come out for Rattie next game, and probably JP and Yams should rotate up & down to the AHL until any production comes and they can stick in the lineup. I just don't see Chaisson coming out any time soon, as hes not just a one dimensional guy...he's helping on the 2nd line but hes proven he can be effective in the bottom 6. Can't say that for JP and Yams.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721626 is a reply to message #721616 ]
Sat, 03 November 2018 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilertime  is currently offline Oilertime

No Cups

I thought that was a really well played game by the oil. Bernier made some saves and the wings got 2 fluke goals. Otherwise its not close.

Hopefully Koskinen can sustain his success and not be a Nilsson 2.0

https://twitter.com/Reggie__11

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721628 is a reply to message #721616 ]
Sat, 03 November 2018 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Nice effort on the road, asserting themselves as the better team and, as someone said, the Oilers won despite not getting bounces. McDavid with a great chance on the steal and feed from Nuge, Nuge had a couple great looks himself. 3 dangerous guys on the first line. Good game for the second line as well, lots of chances. Rieder and Chaisson nice pickups to slot in there. Chaisson's got a decent one timer RH shot. Rieder used his wheels to walk a D and go in alone.

Koskinen racks another backup win. Gravy, and yet giving what's needed. Stopped pretty much the stoppable and one of the better glove saves you'll see. I think this will get some competitive juices going in Talbot in that the hook or the bench are a possibility, also beneficial in that maybe Talbot doesn't have to be ridden like a rented mule.

Outstanding night for the 4th line. Exactly what's needed.

[Updated on: Sun, 04 November 2018 12:17]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721635 is a reply to message #721616 ]
Sun, 04 November 2018 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

MOGA

Oh YEAH !!!

4th line is cooking some chemistry, ... meth? Looking good, Kassian is rolling.
Good puck movement all around.

3rd line is effectively the 4th line. All three of them are in slumps. At least they aren't costing any goals.

Lots of work still, but signs are positive!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721724 is a reply to message #721635 ]
Mon, 05 November 2018 16:27 Go to previous message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 04 November 2018 01:12

MOGA

Oh YEAH !!!

4th line is cooking some chemistry, ... meth? Looking good, Kassian is rolling.
Good puck movement all around.

3rd line is effectively the 4th line. All three of them are in slumps. At least they aren't costing any goals.

Lots of work still, but signs are positive!

MOGA? All I read is a fart noise.. weird.

Excellent 10 bell save by Koskinen, I was so down on this guy based on his pre season performance, hopefully he can figure out how to maintain the level he's reached and give Talbot some competition.

I read today that Strome is zero but he's doing more than scoring? Um.. what exactly? Asking for a friend.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721638 is a reply to message #721616 ]
Sun, 04 November 2018 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

Great road game! Not much at all to critique other than the 3rd line. And even still, I think that’s a great post season line.
Just have to make it there.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721639 is a reply to message #721638 ]
Sun, 04 November 2018 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Ales Cooper wrote on Sun, 04 November 2018 01:40

Great road game! Not much at all to critique other than the 3rd line. And even still, I think that’s a great post season line.

...maybe the third line could use a little addition by subtraction...I'd like to see Rattie back in the lineup, but the first two lines seem to be coming together as they are presently constructed and the fourth line showed some nice flashes against Detroit....besides the 6 million obvious ones, what reason is there not to send # 27 to the press box?....can the advanced stats crowd make a case for the guy?...

...as RD Oilfan has suggested, I would actually be okay with sending Yamamoto and Puljujarvi to Bakersfield for a long stretch (say 20-25 games) and playing them on Bakersfield's top line so they could make some adjustments and get used to playing every night rather than sitting in the press box or playing reduced minutes with the Oilers...I know that forwards, unlike defense men and goalies, tend to rot a bit if they stay too long in the AHL, but I think a number of games down there could only help some guys...however, I'm not in agreement just yet with RD Oilfan that if guys like Yamamoto and Puljujarvi don't turn into superstars under Woodcroft, that he (Woodcroft) should be thrown under the bus...

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721653 is a reply to message #721639 ]
Sun, 04 November 2018 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sun, 04 November 2018 07:47

...maybe the third line could use a little addition by subtraction...I'd like to see Rattie back in the lineup, but the first two lines seem to be coming together as they are presently constructed and the fourth line showed some nice flashes against Detroit....besides the 6 million obvious ones, what reason is there not to send # 27 to the press box?....can the advanced stats crowd make a case for the guy?...

...as RD Oilfan has suggested, I would actually be okay with sending Yamamoto and Puljujarvi to Bakersfield for a long stretch (say 20-25 games) and playing them on Bakersfield's top line so they could make some adjustments and get used to playing every night rather than sitting in the press box or playing reduced minutes with the Oilers...I know that forwards, unlike defense men and goalies, tend to rot a bit if they stay too long in the AHL, but I think a number of games down there could only help some guys...however, I'm not in agreement just yet with RD Oilfan that if guys like Yamamoto and Puljujarvi don't turn into superstars under Woodcroft, that he (Woodcroft) should be thrown under the bus...

I like you're idea of sitting out #27 for someone with some scoring ability. If we were in an all things being equal, performance driven situation, it would happen but this is Chia's super signing we are talking about. Won't happen just because it makes him look like an incompetent GM. ( How many more years? ) Have to save face and keep putting him out there now on the third line and the PP, even if his lack of ability hurts the team's chances. I don't hate him ( Lucic ) it's just that with his skill set his contribution is limited and sitting him out won't help his performance because what you see with him is what you get. It's not for lack of effort. Tough situation for the coach to be in but these are the cards. It comes down to team politics. ( Todd wants to keep his job )

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721654 is a reply to message #721639 ]
Sun, 04 November 2018 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sun, 04 November 2018 07:47

Might see Rattie come in for JP, 'should' see that. Whether its Ratte on 3RW or Caggiula, that line gets a boost. JP just has to get a head for the game, when that happens, he's a player.

Lucic isn't close to last year bad, and hes shown well in a handful of games, but you look at the roster and watch 5x5 and on the PP.....he's the elephant in the room. Lucky for him the team is winning, otherwise the spotlight would be on.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721662 is a reply to message #721616 ]
Sun, 04 November 2018 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Khaira, Lucic, Russell and Larsson all have the same number of points so far. 1 of these guys is glued to the 1st PP unit.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #13) [message #721697 is a reply to message #721662 ]
Mon, 05 November 2018 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

For years the Oilers ALWAYS played up for the big teams and play down to the lower teams. So this could have been a trap game. Detroit is not a good team. The Oilers came out and dominated the whole game. The dominated the whole game without McDavid being that great, he was only OK. Koskinen was good. The score flattered the Wings. Bernier stood on his head. The one goal for the Wings was a completely unlucky goal. I saw a highlight package of wacky goals off the boards in Detroit. You could do the same play 100 times in a row and it might not happen again. The late goal was a guy cruising through the zone and baseball swings and he scores. Again, a weird one.

Keep banking up the wins!!

Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #14)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca