F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19 [message #719630]
Fri, 05 October 2018 15:39 Go to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

So, I was thinking it might be interesting to attempt to track the number of blown non-calls made by refs this year, all the times that McD gets interfered with, hacked, hooked, and the ref either misses it, or ignores it. With the number of guys on this site that watch the games, there is a good resource available that can produce a decent database. Might not be the most unbiased database, but I think most guys here can decide what a legit call is, or is not.

I thought the data to track would include; date, opponent, period, approximate time, brief description of penalty, running season total. I put in the time just so if anyone wanted to review it can locate it, and don't double count. By tracking it, semi-biased or not, it might offer a more quantified viewpoint.

Quote:

Date:
Opponent:
Period:
Time:
Type/Description:
Total Game:
Total Season:

Worth doing?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Send a private message to this user  

Re: C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19 [message #719631 is a reply to message #719630 ]
Fri, 05 October 2018 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

What's the rules for this? Does it have to be clear-cut mugging? The little hooks and slashes will be in the hundreds!!!

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19 [message #719632 is a reply to message #719631 ]
Fri, 05 October 2018 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 05 October 2018 14:40

What's the rules for this? Does it have to be clear-cut mugging? The little hooks and slashes will be in the hundreds!!!

Well everyone might have their own opinion, but I thought during the game before a blown call is added to the total that guys can debate in this thread, I'm not thinking "every" little hack or slash, just the ones you normally see called everywhere else, and for some reason isn't called on McD, and we've all seen them. Before one is added to the total guys can ask other guys here if they think its legit or not. I'm counting on some effort towards impartiality.
So at the end of the year we might find its a huge total, or a small total, interesting either way, at least there'll be a basis for an opinion.

My opinion is that the "little hooks and slashes" are actually severe enough that they are called on other players, but McD's threshold to get a call has for some reason become much higher.

[Updated on: Fri, 05 October 2018 16:04]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19 [message #719635 is a reply to message #719630 ]
Fri, 05 October 2018 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

I think you’ll needa medium sized server, a disk array and a competent DBA for this one! Lol

Re: C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19 [message #719637 is a reply to message #719635 ]
Fri, 05 October 2018 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Fri, 05 October 2018 14:55

I think you’ll needa medium sized server, a disk array and a competent DBA for this one! Lol

Ha! Yeah that could be, but that's what I want to find out!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19 [message #719638 is a reply to message #719630 ]
Fri, 05 October 2018 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

I think for format, if a guy that wants to add a blown call, he can copy the data from this quote below, and then paste it in another set of quotes in their post.
Example:
Quote:

Date: 2018/11/23
Opponent: Calgary
Period: 1
Time: 10:23
Type/Description: Tkachuk two-hands McD's wrist on break away
Total Game: 3
Total Season: 53

[Updated on: Fri, 05 October 2018 22:43]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19 [message #719648 is a reply to message #719630 ]
Fri, 05 October 2018 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

If you are indeed volunteering to record 5-10 or more of these every single game, count me in as someone that will be happy to look :)

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19 [message #719649 is a reply to message #719648 ]
Fri, 05 October 2018 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

4 Cups

We need a web spider and natural language processor to go back through history and find all the times we cursed the referees here and in twitter to propagate the database. If we Kickstarter it maybe we can do all teams in the league.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19 [message #720151 is a reply to message #719630 ]
Sat, 13 October 2018 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Quote:

Date: 10/13/2018
Opponent: @NYR
Period: 2
Time: 8:10
Type/Description: Interference, hit from behind on PP
Total Game: 1
Total Season: 1

[Updated on: Sat, 13 October 2018 12:57]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19 [message #720425 is a reply to message #719630 ]
Tue, 16 October 2018 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Quote:

Opponent: @Winnipeg
Time: 16:17
Type/Description: Interference, holding, Trouba reaches around with his free hand while McD blows by him, in front of the ref
Total Season: 2

Quote:

Time: 9:35
Type/Description: Tripping Schiffle reaches in to poke the puck, takes out McD's feet at center ice, again right in front of the ref
Total Game: 2
Total Season: 3

Quote:

Period: 2
Time: 8:03
Type/Description: Interference, again Trouba, along the boards after McD chipped it in, Trouba squeezed him out well after the puck was past. Normally called.
Total Game: 3
Total Season: 4

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19 [message #720886 is a reply to message #719630 ]
Tue, 23 October 2018 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Quote:

Date: 10/23/2018
Opponent: Pittsburgh
Period: 3
Time: 6:05
Type/Description: McDavid on break away, defender reaches in from behind, doesn't touch puck, throws his stick into McD's feet and the puck, screwing up his chance, no call.
Total Season: 5

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19 [message #720918 is a reply to message #720886 ]
Wed, 24 October 2018 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

Awesome work! Keep it up!

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19 [message #720931 is a reply to message #720918 ]
Wed, 24 October 2018 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Magnum wrote on Wed, 24 October 2018 10:27

Awesome work! Keep it up!

No probs, if I miss any, everyone please feel free to add data.
At the end of the year someone can splice them altogether and create a feature length montage!

[Updated on: Wed, 24 October 2018 14:28]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19 [message #721011 is a reply to message #720931 ]
Thu, 25 October 2018 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

One missed call against Ovechkin tonight as he had a partial break...so it’s not just McDavid getting abused!

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19 [message #723342 is a reply to message #721011 ]
Mon, 26 November 2018 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 25 October 2018 19:23

One missed call against Ovechkin tonight as he had a partial break...so it’s not just McDavid getting abused!

No offense, but this is a McD missed call thread.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19 [message #723343 is a reply to message #719630 ]
Tue, 27 November 2018 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

I've missed a few of the past games, refs missed a pile while I watched, but I didn't see the whole game just FF'd it on PVR.
But this guy went to town in the LA game, noted them all in a video clip..
https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /explosive-video-of-endless-hooking-hacking-holding-of-conno r-mcdavid-that-nhl-refs-fail-to-call

Quote:

In total, the video captures 12 incidents where the Kings arguably foul McDavid with no call — with about seven of those incidents, at 6:54 and 0:15 of the first period, 14:46 of the second period, and 13:47, 11:56, 7:23 and 7:18 of the third period — all being more blatant violations of the rule book.

But not one of them was called.

Years ago, in 1991, superstar Mario Lemieux accused the NHL of being a “garage league” for allowing so much fouling to go on unpunished.

Years later, in 2018, the NHL evidently remains a garage league.

I missed adding data for previous 15 games, he was averaging 2 non-calls a game so I'm adding 30 non-calls, and adding these 7, I'm upping the season total to 5+30+7 = 42 missed PP's based on McDavid alone. Not exact but still a good indicator of garbage NHL refereeing, and the lack of respect McDavid gets, and likely related to the non-essential franchise status Edmonton has been given by the NHL.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19 [message #723346 is a reply to message #723343 ]
Tue, 27 November 2018 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I want to contribute to this thread not because I have a problem with it, it's because all it will do is piss me off. It's truly pathetic how much the refs let other teams get away with. As a league, the goal is to promote your league, to get as many people following you, you want it to be as entertaining and fun and make it so people see it as must watch/be there. The best way to do that is to let the best, most talented and exciting players you have in your league shine. Give them the ability to put on a show.

What does the league do instead? Cater to the lesser player. Cater to the 3rd liners, or the Ryan Keslers of the league. The league lets those guys cheat so they can keep a job. The refs/league want guys like McDavid, etc to "battle through". So they have to fight through the sticks, the hooks, the holds, the trips to "earn" their offense. I have heard media guys say that guys like Tkachuk draw more penalties than McDavid. Tkachuk is a very good player but no way in hell should Tkachuk EVER draw more penalties than McDavid. You can like Tkachuk as a player because he is good but people don't buy tickets to go watch him hook, hold, face wash or give guys cheap shots. All the crap he does on a game by game basis and gets away with it. They buy tickets to watch Gaudreau dangle. Yet the league allows the Tkachuk's of the world to do that crap which takes away from the skill guys.

Re: C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19 [message #723347 is a reply to message #723343 ]
Tue, 27 November 2018 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 27 November 2018 00:12

I've missed a few of the past games, refs missed a pile while I watched, but I didn't see the whole game just FF'd it on PVR.
https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /explosive-video-of-endless-hooking-hacking-holding-of-conno r-mcdavid-that-nhl-refs-fail-to-call

Quote:

In total, the video captures 12 incidents where the Kings arguably foul McDavid with no call — with about seven of those incidents, at 6:54 and 0:15 of the first period, 14:46 of the second period, and 13:47, 11:56, 7:23 and 7:18 of the third period — all being more blatant violations of the rule book.

Years ago, in 1991, superstar Mario Lemieux accused the NHL of being a “garage league” for allowing so much fouling to go on unpunished.

I missed adding data for previous 15 games, he was averaging 2 non-calls a game so I'm adding 30 non-calls, and adding these 7, I'm upping the season total to 5+30+7 = 42 missed PP's based on McDavid alone. Not exact but still a good indicator of garbage NHL refereeing, and the lack of respect McDavid gets, and likely related to the non-essential franchise status Edmonton has been given by the NHL.

Think we just need to accept that the league really wants us to get Hughes or Kakko.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19 [message #723354 is a reply to message #723347 ]
Tue, 27 November 2018 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 27 November 2018 09:58

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 27 November 2018 00:12

Quote:

Think we just need to accept that the league really wants us to get Hughes or Kakko.

There's no better way to ensure the Oilers remain embarrassing for another 5 years.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19 [message #723350 is a reply to message #719630 ]
Tue, 27 November 2018 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

Didn't the Flames brass the year after the Wideman incident actually go to New York and talk about the officiating to the NHL? They felt they weren't getting the calls. Did it end up helping them? I've been saying for a couple of years now they should get their video guys to make a collection of these non calls and send it to the League. It's a joke.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19 [message #723782 is a reply to message #719630 ]
Sun, 02 December 2018 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

1 Cup

If you want to get angry this afternoon, just watch this video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=8SrPoN-ve DQ

How could one doubt the braintrust of 6 Cups Kevin Lowe, MacT's E-MBA from Queens, Paul Coffey's skills coach resume, and drunk Gretzky?

Re: C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19 [message #723783 is a reply to message #723782 ]
Sun, 02 December 2018 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lew19  is currently offline Lew19

No Cups

I want coach Hitchcock to show clips from this video every before game / intermission to Lucic/Kassian / JJ. Then one shift a period I want to see two "goon" players on his line to mitigate the threat. Then I want one or both of those two players to take a "gross misconduct" on whomever the potential infraction committer is, so for the rest of the period / game McDavid has all the room he needs out there. That to me is a solid game plan, and sucks the life out of the other team. As a fan / paying customer it is disgusting to watch that. Even if Connor wasn't on this team, it's a travesty to the game of hockey. They might as well just keep playing that on the big screen at the game, make the ref's life as uncomfortable on the ice as possible too. Unreal

Re: C. McDavid Blown Ref Call Database 2018/19 [message #723784 is a reply to message #723782 ]
Sun, 02 December 2018 18:12 Go to previous message

4 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sun, 02 December 2018 12:58

If you want to get angry this afternoon, just watch this video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=8SrPoN-ve DQ

Its even more enraging when your memories are solidified by a compilation video like this.
The way to get this to stop is for the local MEDIA to be actually USEFUL for once in their careers and bring this to the attention of the national audience, if this was happening to Matthews, Tavares this would be FRONT page EVERY. FREAKING. Day. By every radio, and TV commentator.

The fact McD is on Edmonton, is THE reason the non-calls are happening, shift after freaking shift.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #27)
Next Topic:Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #26)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca