F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » 2018/2019 Oilers starting roster
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 2018/2019 Oilers starting roster [message #716709]
Thu, 05 July 2018 17:16 Go to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Inspired by the talk in the Bouchard trade the likely end of FA signings of any real note I was looking at the Oilers projected team based simply on cap hit;
C;
McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, , Strome (RFA) Brodziak

LW;
Lucic, Caggiula, Khaira, Aberg

RW;
Rieder, Kassian, JP, Rattie

LD;
Sekera, Klefbom, Russell, Nurse (RFA) Gravel

RD;
Larsson, Benning

G;
Talbot, Koskinen

Others possible;
Yamamoto, Bear, Bouchard, Montoya

Not sure if I am missing anyone but a couple things stand out;
- our L/R d situation is no better. Leads me to think either Bear or Bouchard make the team
- same topic, I still think that Klefbom gets traded to "fix" the problem and the Oilers are a worse team after insterting Bear or Bouchard in full time
- Our wings dont look as bad on paper with the speed of Rieder added and JP being a year older
- the success of the wings might rest on the shoulders of JP and Yamamoto as the right side doesnt have a single, proven top 6 contributor.
- I sure hope Koskinen is a good enough back up to keep us in games and give Talbot 20 or so off.

This team is largely the same and success will rest on;
- Talbot bouncing back
- McDavid being McDavid
- Drai carrying a line
- young players improving
- Lucic being a functional contributer
- a LOT of guys playing better than last season in supporting roles
- Injury luck. Our minor league call up options are not exciting should a current roster player go down

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

Seasons without a terrible signing or trade counter= 1 (July 1, 2018 to present)

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2018/2019 Oilers starting roster [message #716710 is a reply to message #716709 ]
Thu, 05 July 2018 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

God I hope McDavid and Drai on separate lines can make it past pre-season next year.

How about some fun lineup projections :)

Nuge - McDavid - Rattie
Rieder - Drai - Pulju
Lucic - Strome - Yams
Khaira - Brodziak - Kassian

Klef - Larsson
Sekera - Benning
Nurse - Bouchard

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: 2018/2019 Oilers starting roster [message #716711 is a reply to message #716710 ]
Thu, 05 July 2018 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 05 July 2018 18:26

God I hope McDavid and Drai on separate lines can make it past pre-season next year.

Nuge - McDavid - Rattie
Rieder - Drai - Pulju
Lucic - Strome - Yams

Klef - Larsson
Sekera - Benning
Nurse - Bouchard

Nuge - McDavid - Rattie
Lucic - Drai - Rieder
Khaira - Strome - Puljujarvi
Caggiula - Brodziak - Kassian

Malone, Aberg

Klef - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Sekera - Russell

Gravel

That said, I think Kassian gets traded this summer for cap space and possibly another free agent brought in... if not, Aberg get in the lineup regularly, and I'm not sure who forward #14 is.

This team is good enough to make the playoffs if everything goes right, and probably not good enough if anything goes wrong.

Re: 2018/2019 Oilers starting roster [message #716717 is a reply to message #716711 ]
Fri, 06 July 2018 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 05 July 2018 19:13

Nuge - McDavid - Rattie
Rieder - Drai - Pulju
Lucic - Strome - Yams

Klef - Larsson
Sekera - Benning
Nurse - Bouchard

Nuge - McDavid - Rattie
Lucic - Drai - Rieder

Malone, Aberg

Klef - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Sekera - Russell

Gravel

That said, I think Kassian gets traded this summer for cap space and possibly another free agent brought in... if not, Aberg get in the lineup regularly, and I'm not sure who forward #14 is.

This team is good enough to make the playoffs if everything goes right, and probably not good enough if anything goes wrong.

I agree that Kassian gets moved. I have a similar lineup;

Nuge - McDavid - Rieder (I think Rattie was signed for speed to play here if he fits in)
Lucic - Drai - Puljujarvi (I still think this is the best chance to get both Lucic and JP productive. The cycle abilities of this line could be dominant if they can get some chemistry. Drai is an elite passer, JP has the shot and Lucic a net presence)
Khaira - Strome - Yamamoto
Caggiula - Brodziak - Rattie

Malone, Aberg

Klef - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Sekera - Russell

Bouchard then Gravel after 9 games

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

Seasons without a terrible signing or trade counter= 1 (July 1, 2018 to present)

Re: 2018/2019 Oilers starting roster [message #716724 is a reply to message #716717 ]
Fri, 06 July 2018 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 06 July 2018 08:55

...given the great player development they have in London in the OHL, I'm more trusting of London than the Oilers for developing young players like Bouchard...I almost hope that Bouchard gets sent down sooner rather than later...looking forward to seeing him make a big contribution to Team Canada at the WJC....

Bear can handle a few NHL games, although I do hope he gets a lot of quality time in Bakersfield...hope Gravel can stay healthy...he seems like an ideal fill-in if he can keep his strength up...that Oiler travel agenda might be hard on him...

Yamomoto probably should be in Bakersfield for a while...I don't know if the new coaching arrangements will focus on better player development in Bakersfield than before...sure hope so....

...Aberg didn't seem very consistent last season...wondering if Hebig or Marody might be okay as the extra forward in the NHL...

....lots hinging on Talbot....he seemed stronger towards the last part of last season....hope he comes to camp ready to play 65-70 games....I know the Oilers have goalies coming out of the ying-yang, but there doesn't seem to be any NHL-caliber back-ups in the wings.....Koskinen better be a pleasant surprise...

.....Kassian is a question mark...it's almost like he needs the Oilers more than the Oilers need him...I like his grit but his intensity seems to come and go...

....Lucic...I guess the Oilers are stuck with him...functional contributor would be fantastic...I'm pretty negative about Lucic and the guy who hired him right now, but that's probably being unfair...what's fair got to do with it anyways?...hope for the best, be prepared for the worst....

Re: 2018/2019 Oilers starting roster [message #716760 is a reply to message #716717 ]
Fri, 06 July 2018 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PoolParty  is currently offline PoolParty

No Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 06 July 2018 08:55

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 05 July 2018 19:13

Nuge - McDavid - Rattie
Rieder - Drai - Pulju
Lucic - Strome - Yams

Klef - Larsson
Sekera - Benning
Nurse - Bouchard

Nuge - McDavid - Rattie
Lucic - Drai - Rieder

Malone, Aberg

Klef - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Sekera - Russell

Gravel

I agree that Kassian gets moved. I have a similar lineup;

Nuge - McDavid - Rieder (I think Rattie was signed for speed to play here if he fits in)
Lucic - Drai - Puljujarvi (I still think this is the best chance to get both Lucic and JP productive. The cycle abilities of this line could be dominant if they can get some chemistry. Drai is an elite passer, JP has the shot and Lucic a net presence)
Khaira - Strome - Yamamoto
Caggiula - Brodziak - Rattie

Malone, Aberg

Klef - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Sekera - Russell

Yamamoto would be better served playing 18-22min a night then sitting on our 3rd line.

This forum has turned into a pessimistic cesspool of bitching and whining about the same topics consistently.

#Adam #Kr55 #CrusaderPi

#RDOilerfan is possibly reformed, time will tell.

Re: 2018/2019 Oilers starting roster [message #716720 is a reply to message #716711 ]
Fri, 06 July 2018 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

Nuge - McDavid - Rattie
Lucic - Drai - Rieder
Caggiula - Brodziak - Someone else

Aberg, signing

Klef - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Sekera - Russell

Lucic is the big wild card in my projected top 6. That being said, given how proud of a guy he is, given what he said at the end of the season and even what his agent said not long ago on Stauffer's show, I think he will have a bounce back year. A bit of a shove it up your A$$ season to all the media, bloggers and fans saying he is done. If he is actually wanting to get traded to an American market to disappear, having a good year will make that a lot easier. I could see Lucic running around a little this year and if Lucic puts up his usual 20 g, 50 pts with 200 hits, some team will take him for sure.

I am of the opinion that Leon played a role in Rieder signing in Edmonton for what I see as very cheap deal so I would like to see him given a shot with he countryman. Plus Rieder would bring speed to that line.

I like the idea of easing Puljujarvi in this season. Give him softer mins, give him some PP time, let him work his way up. There is a player there. Big, guys like him take awhile to grow into their bodies.

I think Kassian gets traded. Either for another 4th line forward that is cheaper or some picks. He just makes too much to be on the 4th line and I don't see him elevating like I thought he could do when the contract was signed. I would lean towards some picks for the cap space.

I think the Oilers add another depth forward on the cheap. I am thinking someone like Nic Shore, a 25 yr old, right handed center who's decent on the PK, had OK size, skates. I'd also look at Ennis. He's small and injuries took his toll on him and he had a not so great year in Minnie so he should be cheap. But he skates really well, is feisty, Edmonton boy, has skill and is only 29. 3 time 20 goal scorer not that long ago. At 29, he should have some game left and he'd be looking to have a good season to stay in the NHL. I have said many times, the Oilers need to find the next vet who's coming off a down year, looking for any contract just to stay in the NHL and has one of those really good seasons where he cashes in.

For the defense. Yes they don't have that right shot PP guy YET. But Bouchard falling into their lap who checks off every single box may have saved Chia from blowing a crap load of assets to bring someone in which I think would have been a mistake.

[Updated on: Fri, 06 July 2018 09:21]

Re: 2018/2019 Oilers starting roster [message #716738 is a reply to message #716720 ]
Fri, 06 July 2018 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

SO much for my Ennis idea. He just signed with the Leafs for 650K.

Go get Shore then!!

Re: 2018/2019 Oilers starting roster [message #716748 is a reply to message #716720 ]
Fri, 06 July 2018 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 06 July 2018 09:19

Nuge - McDavid - Rattie
Lucic - Drai - Rieder
Caggiula - Brodziak - Someone else

Aberg, signing

Klef - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Sekera - Russell

Lucic is the big wild card in my projected top 6. That being said, given how proud of a guy he is, given what he said at the end of the season and even what his agent said not long ago on Stauffer's show, I think he will have a bounce back year. A bit of a shove it up your A$$ season to all the media, bloggers and fans saying he is done. If he is actually wanting to get traded to an American market to disappear, having a good year will make that a lot easier. I could see Lucic running around a little this year and if Lucic puts up his usual 20 g, 50 pts with 200 hits, some team will take him for sure.

I am of the opinion that Leon played a role in Rieder signing in Edmonton for what I see as very cheap deal so I would like to see him given a shot with he countryman. Plus Rieder would bring speed to that line.

I like the idea of easing Puljujarvi in this season. Give him softer mins, give him some PP time, let him work his way up. There is a player there. Big, guys like him take awhile to grow into their bodies.

I think Kassian gets traded. Either for another 4th line forward that is cheaper or some picks. He just makes too much to be on the 4th line and I don't see him elevating like I thought he could do when the contract was signed. I would lean towards some picks for the cap space.

I think the Oilers add another depth forward on the cheap. I am thinking someone like Nic Shore, a 25 yr old, right handed center who's decent on the PK, had OK size, skates. I'd also look at Ennis. He's small and injuries took his toll on him and he had a not so great year in Minnie so he should be cheap. But he skates really well, is feisty, Edmonton boy, has skill and is only 29. 3 time 20 goal scorer not that long ago. At 29, he should have some game left and he'd be looking to have a good season to stay in the NHL. I have said many times, the Oilers need to find the next vet who's coming off a down year, looking for any contract just to stay in the NHL and has one of those really good seasons where he cashes in.

For the defense. Yes they don't have that right shot PP guy YET. But Bouchard falling into their lap who checks off every single box may have saved Chia from blowing a crap load of assets to bring someone in which I think would have been a mistake.

You may be right about Rieder and the Drai connection. You also may be right about speed as my idea of JP there is a much slower combo. I like the cycle aspect but adding speed might work.

I think TM is the only one who knows how the Forward group will look. My biggest fear is that he gives people 2 or 3 games and if doesnt work he mixes things up, new linemates, some guys in new positions. Sometimes his quickness to change makes me miss the MacBlender days of old.

As far as Ennis, as you posted later, he is off the market now.
I personally want no part of Nick Shore. He is average size but plays small. The Oilers have a enough Centers right now in the bottom 6 and I just dont know what he brings that we dont already have. Even with RNH on the wing the chart in the bottom 6 is Strome and Brodziak with Khaira coming in if there is an injury.
If there is an injury to McD or Drai the team is likely screwed but RNH woudl shift back to C.
Unless Shore can play wing effectively signing him would seem to be a waste of money and a roster spot.

Right now they have to be looking at a winger. I would give a guy like Chris Stewart or Tomas Jurco a look as cheap depth.

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

Re: 2018/2019 Oilers starting roster [message #716801 is a reply to message #716748 ]
Mon, 09 July 2018 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Has anyone read Nieslson's article on Oilersnation where he suggests the Oilers need to try Strome on McDavid's wing this season because he didn't get a shot?

https://oilersnation.com/2018/07/08/edmonton-oilers-and-nhl- hot-takes-july-edition/

I am posting this because it got me fired up. WHY, WHY, WHY would anyone suggest that? Strome spent half the season last year getting jerked around the lineup. They finally put him into the 3rd line center spot, kept him there and it worked. He played pretty well down the stretch. At the end of the year, he said it took him awhile to find a role on the team and get his confidence up but by the end of the year, he was comfortable in the role and got his confidence back. He signed his new contract and again said he's ready to go with his new role, he's preparing for it, feeling good about his game and is confident in himself.

So why would anyone want to suggest the Oilers should screw that up? Confidence with players is huge. You have a guy going into this season confident in his game and his role. So there is a good chance he comes into this season and runs with it and plays well. But instead, throw that all away. Jerk him around the lines again. If say you put him with McDavid for 10-15 games and he doesn't do that well. You have first water down your bottom 6. Then you have probably shot Strome's confidence because he isn't producing even though he's playing with McDavid and you will have all the Oilers fans who LOVE to pile on a guy saying he sucks and bringing up the Eberle trade for the 10,000 th time. I get that we have McDavid but that shouldn't mean you screw up your entire roster and mess with players confidence, just because of 97. End of my rant.

Re: 2018/2019 Oilers starting roster [message #716807 is a reply to message #716801 ]
Mon, 09 July 2018 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

I don't think it's that bad of an idea. Why not try it? If it doesn't work, he goes back to 3C. If he loses all of his confidence from something like that he's probably in the wrong line of work. And the upside is obviously huge. Much easier to fill the 3C spot with JJ K than find a #1 RW. I would certainly try all of the options available.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 July 2018 12:20]

Re: 2018/2019 Oilers starting roster [message #716808 is a reply to message #716807 ]
Mon, 09 July 2018 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

jds308 wrote on Mon, 09 July 2018 12:18

I don't think it's that bad of an idea. Why not try it? If it doesn't work, he goes back to 3C. If he loses all of his confidence from something like that he's probably in the wrong line of work. And the upside is obviously huge. Much easier to fill the 3C spot with JJ K than find a #1 RW. I would certainly try all of the options available.

There has been talk over and over again in this site about different players and putting them into positions to succeed. So here we have a player who found a role that fits his skill set. He did well in that role. He personally embraces and likes the role. Excelling in that role gave him confidence. He can be productive in that role and bring value to the Oilers. Yet it's a good idea to throw that all away for what? McDavid had 108 pts, most of which was 5 on 5 scoring. The Oilers PP was so bad, I wonder if they could have scored if the oppositions net was empty. What would McDavid had pts wise if the Oilers PP was even in the middle of the pack? 120+

The Nuge - McDavid - Rattie line seemed to have some chemistry together. Why break up a line that was working. I don't see the value in up heaving Strome from a position he's clearly comfortable with and does reasonable well with. You upset the left-right center balance the Oilers have now. On top of that, you blow your 3rd line.

Re: 2018/2019 Oilers starting roster [message #716809 is a reply to message #716808 ]
Mon, 09 July 2018 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 09 July 2018 11:38

jds308 wrote on Mon, 09 July 2018 12:18

There has been talk over and over again in this site about different players and putting them into positions to succeed. So here we have a player who found a role that fits his skill set. He did well in that role. He personally embraces and likes the role. Excelling in that role gave him confidence. He can be productive in that role and bring value to the Oilers. Yet it's a good idea to throw that all away for what? McDavid had 108 pts, most of which was 5 on 5 scoring. The Oilers PP was so bad, I wonder if they could have scored if the oppositions net was empty. What would McDavid had pts wise if the Oilers PP was even in the middle of the pack? 120+

The Nuge - McDavid - Rattie line seemed to have some chemistry together. Why break up a line that was working. I don't see the value in up heaving Strome from a position he's clearly comfortable with and does reasonable well with. You upset the left-right center balance the Oilers have now. On top of that, you blow your 3rd line.

All fair points. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I would just offer that when the team sucks as bad as it did last year, I would be open to trying anything. Lines are rarely permanent, and often change game to game or even shift to shift. I still don't see the harm in trying Strome there. I think if Strome could find offensive success next to McDavid that benifts the team.

Re: 2018/2019 Oilers starting roster [message #716810 is a reply to message #716809 ]
Mon, 09 July 2018 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I agree that lines aren't permanent. But I think it is more pairs now. The McDavid - Nuge pair is a good pair. Then you have someone else. I think if Rattie is going to be a NHLer, he is a guy who needs to be a top 6 guy. I don't think he is suited to be a bottom 6. He still needs to play well to keep his spot but if you just give his spot to Strome to start the year, I think you neutralize him from making any kind of impact immediately. On top of that, you blow up your 3rd line to get a maybe couple more goals out of Strome. You need your 3rd line to play 13-15 mins decent mins a night and chip in some goals. If you take Strome off the 3rd line and put him with McDavid in the hopes you squeeze a few more goals out of Strome, your 3rd line center has to be Khaira who is probably a better winger. So you downgraded your 3rd line center. I think the 3rd line left wing is either one of Khaira/Caggulia. Personally I think the goal scoring potential for Khaira is similar to Caggulia but I would have Khaira over Caggulia because he is bigger, can play some center so he would help on draws and I think is a bit better defensively.
So if Strome is with McDavid, you have a lesser 3rd line center AND you downgraded your 3rd line left wing spot as well. So you have weakened your entire 3rd line significantly. You have also weakened your 4th line because Caggulia should be able to be a very good 4th liner because of his speed, grit and scoring ability.

Re: 2018/2019 Oilers starting roster [message #716811 is a reply to message #716810 ]
Mon, 09 July 2018 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I see what you're saying.... Basically the upside to upgrading the 1st line with Strome may not we worth the downgrade of the 3rd line? That's a totally fair point.

Re: 2018/2019 Oilers starting roster [message #716813 is a reply to message #716811 ]
Mon, 09 July 2018 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

jds308 wrote on Mon, 09 July 2018 13:47

I see what you're saying.... Basically the upside to upgrading the 1st line with Strome may not we worth the downgrade of the 3rd line? That's a totally fair point.

Exactly. Strome had 17 goals and 50 pts in his best year. He had 13 goals, 34 pts this past season. Realistically how much of a bump would he get from McDavid? In my opinion, for the success of the team, McDavid has to do what he did in the second half of last year which was be more of a shooter. So he should be around 40 goals. Nuge had 24 goals in 62 games and only played 1/4 of the season with McDavid. I think 30 for Nuge is pretty realistic. So I would think that if you got 15-20 goals from your right wing spot on McDavid's line, you should be absolutely jumping for joy. For me, Strome would have to double his goals playing with McDavid to maybe make it worth while to completely disrupt your bottom 6 and I just don't see it happening.

Re: 2018/2019 Oilers starting roster [message #716814 is a reply to message #716813 ]
Mon, 09 July 2018 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 09 July 2018 14:01

jds308 wrote on Mon, 09 July 2018 13:47

Exactly. Strome had 17 goals and 50 pts in his best year. He had 13 goals, 34 pts this past season. Realistically how much of a bump would he get from McDavid? In my opinion, for the success of the team, McDavid has to do what he did in the second half of last year which was be more of a shooter. So he should be around 40 goals. Nuge had 24 goals in 62 games and only played 1/4 of the season with McDavid. I think 30 for Nuge is pretty realistic. So I would think that if you got 15-20 goals from your right wing spot on McDavid's line, you should be absolutely jumping for joy. For me, Strome would have to double his goals playing with McDavid to maybe make it worth while to completely disrupt your bottom 6 and I just don't see it happening.

I agree with this 100%.
For the Oilers to have team success they need some balance and secondary scoring. If Drai can carry the second line and Strome can be a good, contributing 3C they will be a much better team.
It is fun seeing McDavid collect Art Ross trophies but he doesnt need to have the most talented wingers in the org to be successful.

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

Re: 2018/2019 Oilers starting roster [message #716885 is a reply to message #716810 ]
Tue, 10 July 2018 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 09 July 2018 13:08

I agree that lines aren't permanent. But I think it is more pairs now. The McDavid - Nuge pair is a good pair. Then you have someone else. I think if Rattie is going to be a NHLer, he is a guy who needs to be a top 6 guy. I don't think he is suited to be a bottom 6. He still needs to play well to keep his spot but if you just give his spot to Strome to start the year, I think you neutralize him from making any kind of impact immediately. On top of that, you blow up your 3rd line to get a maybe couple more goals out of Strome. You need your 3rd line to play 13-15 mins decent mins a night and chip in some goals. If you take Strome off the 3rd line and put him with McDavid in the hopes you squeeze a few more goals out of Strome, your 3rd line center has to be Khaira who is probably a better winger. So you downgraded your 3rd line center. I think the 3rd line left wing is either one of Khaira/Caggulia. Personally I think the goal scoring potential for Khaira is similar to Caggulia but I would have Khaira over Caggulia because he is bigger, can play some center so he would help on draws and I think is a bit better defensively.
So if Strome is with McDavid, you have a lesser 3rd line center AND you downgraded your 3rd line left wing spot as well. So you have weakened your entire 3rd line significantly. You have also weakened your 4th line because Caggulia should be able to be a very good 4th liner because of his speed, grit and scoring ability.

A few points:

A) This idea that players are top-six or they can't be in the league is a dumb one. It's a long-held belief, and I think it started from not having enough guys who COULD play top-six roles, but if you have your third and fourth line made up of skill guys who are all pushing up and competing for icetime, you're going to have a much better, well-rounded team than a team made up of a top six and then a bunch of minute-munching grinders who it's a bonus if you get offence from.

B) Does ANYONE believe that Ty Rattie is a first line NHL player? Anyone? He's been a bubble guy his whole career, and the organization publicly questioned his commitment to defence last year. As a top line player, he's going to face a lot of other teams top lines, so maybe that's not the best place for a defensively suspect player?

C) The sample size with Rattie/McDavid was pretty darn short and it coincided with putting Nuge on that line. I don't think it's at all conclusive that he's the best RW option.

D) If your first line is in on the ice for 4 minutes more per game than your third line, are you better off having a better winger on your first line if you can? If your third line leaks goals as a result, then maybe not, but Strome isn't exactly vying for the Selke and Khaira had decent production last year. Brodziak too. There's at least an argument to try out Strome with McDavid - something that didn't really happen last year.

Besides, if Strome produces, then you have a valuable asset. I don't think anyone is paying anything significant for Rattie if he gets a bunch of McDavid assisted points, and he doesn't save us much either. He's also a free agent next summer, rather than tied up for two years like Strome so if he does produce, Rattie could be hard to afford.

Of course, I'd also play Puljujarvi with McDavid before handing the ball on any permanent basis to Rattie...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: 2018/2019 Oilers starting roster [message #716887 is a reply to message #716885 ]
Tue, 10 July 2018 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 10 July 2018 13:08

Of course, I'd also play Puljujarvi with McDavid before handing the ball on any permanent basis to Rattie...

You mean bonus eligible Puljujarvi? Ha. Not for the Cap-Hell Oilers, he won't.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: 2018/2019 Oilers starting roster [message #716888 is a reply to message #716885 ]
Tue, 10 July 2018 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

A few points:

A) This idea that players are top-six or they can't be in the league is a dumb one. It's a long-held belief, and I think it started from not having enough guys who COULD play top-six roles, but if you have your third and fourth line made up of skill guys who are all pushing up and competing for icetime, you're going to have a much better, well-rounded team than a team made up of a top six and then a bunch of minute-munching grinders who it's a bonus if you get offence from.

B) Does ANYONE believe that Ty Rattie is a first line NHL player? Anyone? He's been a bubble guy his whole career, and the organization publicly questioned his commitment to defence last year. As a top line player, he's going to face a lot of other teams top lines, so maybe that's not the best place for a defensively suspect player?

C) The sample size with Rattie/McDavid was pretty darn short and it coincided with putting Nuge on that line. I don't think it's at all conclusive that he's the best RW option.

D) If your first line is in on the ice for 4 minutes more per game than your third line, are you better off having a better winger on your first line if you can? If your third line leaks goals as a result, then maybe not, but Strome isn't exactly vying for the Selke and Khaira had decent production last year. Brodziak too. There's at least an argument to try out Strome with McDavid - something that didn't really happen last year.

Besides, if Strome produces, then you have a valuable asset. I don't think anyone is paying anything significant for Rattie if he gets a bunch of McDavid assisted points, and he doesn't save us much either. He's also a free agent next summer, rather than tied up for two years like Strome so if he does produce, Rattie could be hard to afford.

Now that Chiarelli's plan to trade Nuge for Bobby Ryan has been cancelled due to cap constraints Ty Rattie is the only option. He is also a 100% solid lock as an NHL first liner because he potted a couple rebounds on McD's line so there was zero reason to look for any sort of upgrade in the offseason. After all, why do you think they waited to call him up from the farm until the season was completely lost? To save him for the cup run in 18-19.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: 2018/2019 Oilers starting roster [message #716890 is a reply to message #716885 ]
Tue, 10 July 2018 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

A few points:

I believe that Yamamoto will/should start the year in the AHL. I also believe that at some point this season, he will get called up because he earned a call up and go on McDavid's line. I also hope/believe that at some point, Puljujarvi will take his place on the line that I think he will be on for a long time. Flanking Leon. But to start, I think it is wise that he starts on the 3rd line.

As I have said multiple times, Strome took awhile but he found a role that he did well in last year. In the interview he had on Stauffer's show yesterday, he said he was told and he is training and expecting to be their 3rd line center. He feels like he contributes, he feels like it's a good spot for him and he's confident that he can do the job and do it well. So I believe it would be completely stupid on the part of the team to do a 180 and jerk him around the lines AGAIN. You run the risk of it not working and demoralizing what could have been a very useful player, you completely disrupt the make up of the bottom 6 and you weaken the talent in your bottom 6. If Strome can becomes a 30 goal, 60+ pt guy, then sure do it. But the chances of that happening are slim to none. It doesn't make any sense.

Re: 2018/2019 Oilers starting roster [message #717127 is a reply to message #716890 ]
Thu, 19 July 2018 13:18 Go to previous message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

https://oilersnation.com/2018/07/19/20-in-20-an-edmonton-oil ers-line-combination-extravaganza/

Death by a Thousand Cuts

Next Topic:Draisaitl for Karlsson
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca