Oilers » Hemmer to OTTPages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625893 is a reply to message #625885 ]
Thu, 06 March 2014 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Jay wrote on Thu, 06 March 2014 08:09

Adam wrote on Wed, 05 March 2014 21:54

MacTavish is addicted to saying too much to the media. He makes sure everyone knows Hemsky is persona non grata last summer, and is unable to get enough to make it worth his while to trade him (I wonder if there were offers better than the one he got today). Between that, and the circus that went on this week with the press basically asking him how it felt to be leaving days before he was traded, the other teams knew it was unlikely to end in a last minute signing here. He then decides to go to the press (while all the other GMs know who he's shopping) and says he really wants to replace the 2nd, 3rd and 4th pick we've traded away - setting a ceiling for what they're likely to offer for Hemsky (or Schultz for that matter).

This is what gets me to. Why on earth would you announce prior to the deadline what you think the value of your available players is?? Or exactly what it is that you are hoping to accomplish at the deadline?? I cant wrap my head around why anyone would think this is a good idea.

So you make it known to the entire world that you think Hemsky is worth a second round pick...Do you actually think anyone will offer you what you think he is worth?? They are in competition with you!! Id say the odds are pretty good that if you say you think he is worth a second that the bidding starts with a third. Not to mention that you have stated on the record that all you want is mid round draft picks so no one will even consider offering anything more than that. You don’t really need a business degree to figure this stuff out.

How about just keeping your yap shut or even making the odd comment here and there about how valuable your players are and how you will listen to offers but the priority is to resign him so he can help your team (weather its true or not).

Your point about the way Burke handled a similar situation is bang on.

It was interesting hearing MacTavish talk about his "openness" yesterday in the raw interview. It's like he really believes he owes the media an explanation for what he is doing.

I like that he is open with his players. I don't like that he is open with the media and fans.

He doesn't owe that to them. In fact, he shouldn't. He should give media availability, but he doesn't need to go into details about what he is doing or trying to do. Even Mike Gillis recognizes this. It's harmful to his organization with very little benefit (other than pacifying the entitled media in this city).

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625895 is a reply to message #625893 ]
Thu, 06 March 2014 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 06 March 2014 09:47

MacTavish is addicted to saying too much to the media. He makes sure everyone knows Hemsky is persona non grata last summer, and is unable to get enough to make it worth his while to trade him (I wonder if there were offers better than the one he got today). Between that, and the circus that went on this week with the press basically asking him how it felt to be leaving days before he was traded, the other teams knew it was unlikely to end in a last minute signing here. He then decides to go to the press (while all the other GMs know who he's shopping) and says he really wants to replace the 2nd, 3rd and 4th pick we've traded away - setting a ceiling for what they're likely to offer for Hemsky (or Schultz for that matter).

This is what gets me to. Why on earth would you announce prior to the deadline what you think the value of your available players is?? Or exactly what it is that you are hoping to accomplish at the deadline?? I cant wrap my head around why anyone would think this is a good idea.

So you make it known to the entire world that you think Hemsky is worth a second round pick...Do you actually think anyone will offer you what you think he is worth?? They are in competition with you!! Id say the odds are pretty good that if you say you think he is worth a second that the bidding starts with a third. Not to mention that you have stated on the record that all you want is mid round draft picks so no one will even consider offering anything more than that. You don’t really need a business degree to figure this stuff out.

How about just keeping your yap shut or even making the odd comment here and there about how valuable your players are and how you will listen to offers but the priority is to resign him so he can help your team (weather its true or not).

It was interesting hearing MacTavish talk about his "openness" yesterday in the raw interview. It's like he really believes he owes the media an explanation for what he is doing.

I like that he is open with his players. I don't like that he is open with the media and fans.

He doesn't owe that to them. In fact, he shouldn't. He should give media availability, but he doesn't need to go into details about what he is doing or trying to do. Even Mike Gillis recognizes this. It's harmful to his organization with very little benefit (other than pacifying the entitled media in this city).

I understand why MacT, and the Oilers in general, do this. When things are going wrong, people want explanations, and as paying customers, they deserve explanations. I don't mind that they share their plans, especially since we constantly harp on accountability.

When my tenants aren't paying rent, I only kick them out if they stop communicating with me. Open lines of communication make bad situations better, in almost every circumstance.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625896 is a reply to message #625895 ]
Thu, 06 March 2014 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Magnum wrote on Thu, 06 March 2014 09:59

I understand why MacT, and the Oilers in general, do this. When things are going wrong, people want explanations, and as paying customers, they deserve explanations. I don't mind that they share their plans, especially since we constantly harp on accountability.

When my tenants aren't paying rent, I only kick them out if they stop communicating with me. Open lines of communication make bad situations better, in almost every circumstance.

What people want is the team to win. I think his "open communication" makes it harder to do this. I'd rather take a tight lipped organization that has success than a loose lipped GM that sinks chances at a championship.

And it doesn't really matter about accountability to the media and the fans, not really. There needs to be accountability within management, since they are the only ones who can make these decisions. And I don't mind if he shares his plans with his employers and with management. He should. And there should be internal accountability.

A more apt description than your tenants would be if you are publicly communicating every negotiation you are making with one of them to the group of them. You do that, and it's very hard to not have every negotiation gravitate to the worst possible price. Sure, they should be communicating with you (player-GM relationship). Sure you should be communicating with them (GM-Player relationship). But you don't have to then take those public conversations and plans and distribute a community announcement of those conversations.

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625897 is a reply to message #625895 ]
Thu, 06 March 2014 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Except that there is a competitive disadvantage to over-sharing.

You are right, they do this because they know they suck and they want people to know they're trying. But they are actually hurting their ability to right the ship.

There's a point with your tenants where telling you the truth would likely be harmful to them. If they lost their job and have had their car repossessed and have stopped paying their credit card bills too, honesty is probably still going to get them evicted. That's where we are at with the Oilers.

As for what they should say? Say yes, we are looking at things from all angles and are trying to better the team. When asked about a specific player, tell the media you refuse to talk about trade rumours because it's disruptive to the team and can have negative effects on guys no matter what you say. Ask them also not to discuss rumours with your players and enforce that if they break those simple rules.

You'll be a boring interview, but you'll be better off. And then fire anyone in the organization caught leaking info. And that includes the POHO.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625907 is a reply to message #625895 ]
Thu, 06 March 2014 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

I think it's simpler than that. MacT just likes to hear himself talk.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625909 is a reply to message #625907 ]
Thu, 06 March 2014 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 06 March 2014 13:06

I think it's simpler than that. MacT just likes to hear himself talk.

I get the feeling that this is closer to the truth. He's cut from the same cloth as daddy 6-cups. And we all saw how much of an ego 6-cups has during the interview last summer. I think it's purely an ego thing. If they're quiet, people might write negative things.

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #712424 is a reply to message #625762 ]
Fri, 23 March 2018 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 05 March 2014 11:06

Team sucks. Management is terrible. Coaching makes management look good in comparison (other than the fact they hired the coach). Players are lazy, unlikeable and don't even seem to like each other. Long-time loyal players who contribute are fed to media trolls for lunch to the point where they're ecstatic to leave town. We get literally next to NOTHING for good players when they leave. We are perpetually in the running for only one prize every year - the first overall draft pick so we can squander another talented youngster.

I feel empty. This year is awful for hockey and the Oilers are the worst run team in the league.

What a joke.

Hilarious - four years ago I thought I'd hit rock bottom...we hadn't even drafted Draisaitl yet and still had another half year of Eakins to endure...

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #712425 is a reply to message #712424 ]
Fri, 23 March 2018 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 23 March 2018 15:18

Team sucks. Management is terrible. Coaching makes management look good in comparison (other than the fact they hired the coach). Players are lazy, unlikeable and don't even seem to like each other. Long-time loyal players who contribute are fed to media trolls for lunch to the point where they're ecstatic to leave town. We get literally next to NOTHING for good players when they leave. We are perpetually in the running for only one prize every year - the first overall draft pick so we can squander another talented youngster.

I feel empty. This year is awful for hockey and the Oilers are the worst run team in the league.

What a joke.

Hilarious - four years ago I thought I'd hit rock bottom...we hadn't even drafted Draisaitl yet and still had another half year of Eakins to endure...

Rock bottom is a myth.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #712427 is a reply to message #712425 ]
Fri, 23 March 2018 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 23 March 2018 15:45

What a joke.

Rock bottom is a myth.

I look at Adam's original post and it's interesting how here we are in 2018, we're talking about variations of the same thing. Actually, it would be interesting to see tallies that indicate how many times the following words or phrases proportionally have appeared in submissions to Oilfans since its inception:

- rock bottom
- disappointment or disappointed (these are my go-tos)
- fire _____
- terrible
- awful
- suck or sucked
- what a joke
- worst run team
- 1st overall pick
- mediocre or less than mediocre
- unprepared
- no show

[Updated on: Fri, 23 March 2018 16:00]

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #712429 is a reply to message #712427 ]
Fri, 23 March 2018 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 23 March 2018 15:57

What a joke.

Rock bottom is a myth.

I look at Adam's original post and it's interesting how here we are in 2018, we're talking about variations of the same thing. Actually, it would be interesting to see tallies that indicate how many times the following words or phrases proportionally have appeared in submissions to Oilfans since its inception:

- rock bottom
- fire _____
- terrible
- awful
- suck or sucked
- what a joke
- worst run team
- 1st overall pick
- unprepared
- no show

Yeah, I stumbled in to this thread by accident - I saw that it was Derrick's birthday today and wondered when the last time he posted was - but there's so many similarities to this year. Some clinging to hope, saying that management (MacT) and coaching (Eakins) haven't really been given a long enough try yet. Others decrying the disaster the season had become and calling for all of them (including Lowe) to get fired.

The only difference now is that the names have changed...except for Lowe and MacT of course.

The Oilers under Katz are the worst-run organization in NHL history.

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #712431 is a reply to message #712429 ]
Fri, 23 March 2018 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 23 March 2018 16:29

What a joke.

Rock bottom is a myth.

- rock bottom
- fire _____
- terrible
- awful
- suck or sucked
- what a joke
- worst run team
- 1st overall pick
- unprepared
- no show

Yeah, I stumbled in to this thread by accident - I saw that it was Derrick's birthday today and wondered when the last time he posted was - but there's so many similarities to this year. Some clinging to hope, saying that management (MacT) and coaching (Eakins) haven't really been given a long enough try yet. Others decrying the disaster the season had become and calling for all of them (including Lowe) to get fired.

The only difference now is that the names have changed...except for Lowe and MacT of course.

Top three. It's a tight competition between Katz, Wirtz, and Ballard.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #712437 is a reply to message #712431 ]
Sat, 24 March 2018 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 23 March 2018 17:16

Adam wrote on Fri, 23 March 2018 16:29

What a joke.

Rock bottom is a myth.

- rock bottom
- fire _____
- terrible
- awful
- suck or sucked
- what a joke
- worst run team
- 1st overall pick
- unprepared
- no show

Top three. It's a tight competition between Katz, Wirtz, and Ballard.

That's right. Chicago suffered. Ballard did the rest of Canada a favor.

Pi, man that new signature is the funniest thing I saw on the internet for at least the last 16 hours.

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #716547 is a reply to message #712437 ]
Sun, 01 July 2018 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Wouldn't mind seeing a reunion with Hemsky here. Although he's battled injuries if he still has something left in the tank could add some depth on RW with a bit of skill who could move up and down the lineup and perhaps prevents rushing a guy like Yammamoto.

Death by a Thousand Cuts

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #716550 is a reply to message #716547 ]
Sun, 01 July 2018 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Sun, 01 July 2018 15:07

Wouldn't mind seeing a reunion with Hemsky here. Although he's battled injuries if he still has something left in the tank could add some depth on RW with a bit of skill who could move up and down the lineup and perhaps prevents rushing a guy like Yammamoto.

Agreed. You could probably get him for league minimum. If you wait until after August 13, he'll be 35 and you can have performance bonuses (or does he just have to be 35 when the season starts?).

The right wing is pretty unstable, I wouldn't hate having a pure offensive veteran in the mix, someone to help the second unit powerplay.

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #716553 is a reply to message #716550 ]
Sun, 01 July 2018 15:41 Go to previous message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sun, 01 July 2018 14:21

Gator21 wrote on Sun, 01 July 2018 15:07

Agreed. You could probably get him for league minimum. If you wait until after August 13, he'll be 35 and you can have performance bonuses (or does he just have to be 35 when the season starts?).

The right wing is pretty unstable, I wouldn't hate having a pure offensive veteran in the mix, someone to help the second unit powerplay.

He'd finally have a supporting cast.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625764 is a reply to message #625730 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prophet  is currently offline Prophet

No Cups

Knew it was coming, but it still sucks.

A weird combination of flashy talent and low-key demeanor, frustrating and exhilarating at the same time, but always likeable.

Does worry me that with each move like this, this team falls further into the hands of kid movement - who still haven't figured out what it means to be professionals.

"They will play what I tell them to play, for I am the mayor of Albuquerque"

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625767 is a reply to message #625730 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

11 seasons.
657 Games.
477 Points.
8th in franchise scoring.
And an incredible playoff run.

Ales Hemsky, you were among the best of Oilers.

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625772 is a reply to message #625767 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
6zeppelin6  is currently offline 6zeppelin6

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 05 March 2014 11:11

11 seasons.
657 Games.
477 Points.

Haha that bolded part just makes me think of Batman.

"Because he's the hero Edmonton deserves, but not the one it needs right now...and so we'll trade him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, a dangling RWer...a dark knight. "

When you get all set to watch the game, and within 10 minutes the Oilers are losing:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2wd0gth.gif

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625777 is a reply to message #625772 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
darkknight  is currently offline darkknight

No Cups

6zeppelin6 wrote on Wed, 05 March 2014 11:18

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 05 March 2014 11:11

11 seasons.
657 Games.
477 Points.

Haha that bolded part just makes me think of Batman.

"Because he's the hero Edmonton deserves, but not the one it needs right now...and so we'll trade him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, a dangling RWer...a dark knight. "

Can confirm.

He shoots, he Sykoras

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625768 is a reply to message #625730 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

I'll miss you as an Oiler Ales! Looking forward to watching you play for the Sens.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625770 is a reply to message #625768 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh  is currently offline Babaganoosh

1 Cup

Yay. Took way too long but hes finally gone. Can complain about the return. It was Hemskys crappy play for the most part that lowered his value. I hope the Sens lose every game. If we cant win why should anyone.

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625771 is a reply to message #625730 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

I was hoping for a 2nd, but was not shocked with the 3rd and 5th. What surprised me was MacT had to pony up half his salary too?

I know the GM was handcuffed, but still doesn't seem very "mover shaker" to me. Nobody else would give up a 3rd and 5th and the small balance in salary? Hard to believe. It's not like it has implications for the franchise, but WTH? That would have been the deal breaker? I'm not even sure if it amounts to 600,000.

Ah, maybe I'm just not in a good mood.

Limecat Logic

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625773 is a reply to message #625771 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Team Dean  is currently offline Team Dean

No Cups

I'm cheering for Ottawa now, hope they do some damage.
After listening to Eastern Media telling me how bad Hemmer was his whole career, I hope he lights up their precious Maple Leafs.

Go Hemmer!

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625778 is a reply to message #625773 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Team Dean wrote on Wed, 05 March 2014 10:19

I'm cheering for Ottawa now, hope they do some damage.
After listening to Eastern Media telling me how bad Hemmer was his whole career, I hope he lights up their precious Maple Leafs.

Go Hemmer!

It'll be fun cheering for Ottawa vs. the Leafs!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625787 is a reply to message #625771 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dekes  is currently offline Dekes

No Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 05 March 2014 11:17

I was hoping for a 2nd, but was not shocked with the 3rd and 5th. What surprised me was MacT had to pony up half his salary too?

I know the GM was handcuffed, but still doesn't seem very "mover shaker" to me. Nobody else would give up a 3rd and 5th and the small balance in salary? Hard to believe. It's not like it has implications for the franchise, but WTH? That would have been the deal breaker? I'm not even sure if it amounts to 600,000.

I don't understand why anyone other than Katz cares about the Oilers taking 1/2 his salary. It's not my money, we're not contending and in a cap crunch. If that's what it took to make it happen, great.

Was never one of my favorites, had a nice 3rd period against Detroit in R1G6, that's about it for me.

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625781 is a reply to message #625730 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the flying stortini  is currently offline the flying stortini

No Cups

So this year's 5th and next year's 3rd - exactly what was traded for Fasth.

Two months of Hemsky for a year and two months of Fasth.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z364/stortswasanoiler/Untitled-1.jpg中 RED DRAGONS 中
rukm01 wrote on Sun, 01 July 2012 21:54

Souray is a Duck is one letter away from being totally accurate.

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625795 is a reply to message #625781 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

the flying stortini wrote on Wed, 05 March 2014 11:49

So this year's 5th and next year's 3rd - exactly what was traded for Fasth.

Two months of Hemsky for a year and two months of Fasth.

Well, the bright side is that next year's 3rd could be a better quality pick than this year's. Next year's draft has more quality in the top end, hopefully it translates to the 3rd round.

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625798 is a reply to message #625781 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

1 Cup

Sure Hemmer was here for a bad stretch but to say he was part of the problem....is like saying that your car that is falling apart its the tires fault.

The problem is management can't develop jack crap. Take a great draft pick and flush it....

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625786 is a reply to message #625730 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

What a weak return, sigh. Plus he goes to a bubble team that very likely will play as many playoff games as the Oilers.

Guess it at least helps with this years master plan tank job.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625793 is a reply to message #625730 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Will always remember this one that I was lucky enough to see live.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625797 is a reply to message #625793 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lesterpolyester  is currently offline Lesterpolyester

No Cups

Good luck Hemmer you were a great Oiler!

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625802 is a reply to message #625797 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

1 Cup

Hemsky was great when someone could actually break him free with a pass like Pronger....Ottawa has D that can actually do that. The Oilers.....well we are still waiting for that.

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625832 is a reply to message #625802 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Team Dean  is currently offline Team Dean

No Cups

One last time, for old times sake:

Shooooooooooooooooooot!!!!!!!

Rest in peace, fair Ales. Good times.

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625833 is a reply to message #625832 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Team Dean wrote on Wed, 05 March 2014 15:15

One last time, for old times sake:

Shooooooooooooooooooot!!!!!!!

Rest in peace, fair Ales. Good times.

hehe. He was definitely one of the all time most frustrating players to watch at times. Still think he could have worked that stuff out of his game very early on if we were any good at bringing in some real good veterans to mentor our young players, but that never happened and continues to not happen in the Lowe era. Hemmer was 100% self taught all alone on an island as our most talented offensive player for pretty much his whole career.

[Updated on: Wed, 05 March 2014 15:28]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625842 is a reply to message #625730 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

We now have a sum total of ONE player who has ever played a playoff game for the Edmonton Oilers. And it's questionable if he'll be back again next season.

We essentially are an expansion team that was established in 2008.

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625845 is a reply to message #625842 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilerman53  is currently offline Oilerman53

No Cups

It was pretty funny seeing how Hemsky went from a bum to Ottawas piece for a playoff run. Toronto media indeed!

McDavid just might surpass Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr and heck even Elvis!

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625847 is a reply to message #625730 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

If the Senators miss the playoffs by one point, I wonder if they'll look back and kick themselves for not making this trade one day earlier. Hemsky's two goal performance last night might be a nail in their playoff chances.

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625858 is a reply to message #625730 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rjayd2  is currently offline rjayd2

No Cups

Enjoying all the fanboy tears in this thread -- for a forum supposedly populated with knowledgable hockey fans a good majority of you sure have a clouded, illogical perspective on 83:

1. The return for him was exactly what this class of pending UFA goes for at the deadline -- only the more elite will get you a marginal roster player/prospect and slightly higher picks so I have no idea what the complaints are about.

Dustin Penner -- 4th rounder
Andrej Meszaros -- 3rd rounder
Lee Stempniak -- 3rd rounder
Marcel Goc -- 3rd and 5th rounder

2. Hemsky is still a good player but HE NO LONGER FITS IN WITH THIS TEAM. End of story. Time to move on.

I for one look forward to seeing what he can do in another uniform playing with better players/more structured team. It's an unknown what this will do for his game so it's exciting to see what the results will be.

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625863 is a reply to message #625858 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

What a garbage organization. I love the way legit NHLers (and in this case a very good one) are pushed aside to make way for the shiny new kids who have proven nothing but an ability to make it down town in time for last call after the latest loss. I wonder who the next crop of high draft picks will be to save the team after these ones inevitably disappoint?

Hemsky gets traded for essentially nothing and it really isnt a surprise at all.

Of course he was never going to sign here. Why would he? Why would anyone?

I find myself in kind of a weird place as an Oilers fan.

I dislike the owner.
I hate the management.
I hate the media surrounding the team.
I dislike the coach.
I dislike probably 2/3 of the players.

Good for Hemsky. Unfortunate that management didnt let him know they were planning on tanking for the next decade when he signed that value deal after 06 or he could have gotten out of here a lot sooner.

I guess trading him to a contender would have been too much to ask for too. God forbid we forfeit that fifth round pick. Im sure no one around the league notices these things.

Go Sens.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625864 is a reply to message #625863 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
drummerinblack  is currently offline drummerinblack

No Cups

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiAqtxSCIAAVZRG.jpg:large

That'll take a bit of getting used to seeing...

Re: Hemmer to OTT [message #625866 is a reply to message #625864 ]
Wed, 05 March 2014 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rjayd2  is currently offline rjayd2

No Cups

drummerinblack wrote on Wed, 05 March 2014 19:50

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiAqtxSCIAAVZRG.jpg:large

That'll take a bit of getting used to seeing...

Looks good on him.

Coincidentally Hemsky himself also looking good in his debut -- fitting in seamlessly with Spezza and Michalek. Awesome to see!

Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Gryba on waivers for purpose of buyout.
Next Topic:Oilers select 5th rd (#146) - Kirill Maksimov
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca