This day on December 12
Departed: Dave Semenko (1986) Josh Green (2002)

Happy Birthday To: carterfan, oilfan#1, Tupper, pronger's#1fan, bleeding copper and blue

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » If Chia fails, then who?Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714824 is a reply to message #714820 ]
Tue, 22 May 2018 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Jay wrote on Tue, 22 May 2018 08:18

This may have been a dream...

I could swear that around 04/05 when I first started visiting this site...there was this poster named Adam...Gretzky avatar I think...but very different...always positive...defending moves made by the oilers...optimistic about the teams direction...almost Kool-Aid level..

I mean it was probably a dream...but I wonder what was the turning point. What was the one thing that would turn someone like that...so full of light and hope..

There are so many to choose from..

Makes me wonder if there is still hope for RDOilerfan to come around...in another decade or so maybe..

Haha...I started here a little later than you...middle of summer, 2005...right around the time the team traded for Pronger and Peca. That managed to buy Lowe a lot of rope from me...I remember being called an Oil-pologist in those early days.

I did like MacTavish as a coach usually, even if I didn't agree with some of what he did (Reddox on the top line, Tobey Peterson on the PP, calling Reasoner "Sakic"...)

And Lowe had an amazing year in 2005-06...it was enough to make me think he had a clue what he was doing. After all, he'd always had the excuse before then that we couldn't compete in a cap-less world.

And then we got a salary cap, and a rich owner, and spent to the cap every year and sucked every year while squandering talent and wasting years and trying to position themselves as meaning to suck when they clearly just failed. They increasingly became focused on protecting their own jobs as opposed to winning. They continued to hire rookie coaches and rookie management and people who thought exactly like them and shockingly, more of the same wasn't the solution. They hired friends and family in to key positions that they weren't qualified for, and blamed underlings for all the failure.

Eventually, you start looking back at the earlier days and realizing that behaviours you excused at the time - the exile of Sheldon Souray, the public feuding with ex-players, the bizarre Mike Comrie non-trade - weren't really excusable and actually injured the team just for the benefit of the ego of the GM/POHO/Vice-Chair. And you notice that each change in management leaves the same people in the room, but just adds a layer of protection for them by hiring an outside fall-guy who can take the blame if all goes poorly.

If you look close enough, you can see that these guys already tried to reassume the wheel once when they thought the team was trending up...only to break it even worse immediately.

I do wish I could still be optimistic about this team. I wish I could still be considered the bright-eyed Oil-pologist. But I know that the incompetence of those in charge here has no bounds, and that if success comes to the Oilers while they're here, that it's in spite of them. It requires ridiculous luck - like winning 4 out of 6 first overall picks, or having a season where no key player suffers any injury more serious than a bruise - and even then it's clear that these guys can screw it up by not realizing opportunity when it's staring them in the eyes or by trading away great players at pennies on the dollar, because they confuse the team sucking (which is mostly management's fault) for those players sucking.

SIGH.

#Adam #TeamPessimisticCesspool

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Send a private message to this user  

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714825 is a reply to message #714824 ]
Tue, 22 May 2018 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 22 May 2018 12:43

I remember being called an Oil-pologist in those early days.

Who ever could have called you such things? Too bad those messages are purged, we'll never know.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714826 is a reply to message #714824 ]
Tue, 22 May 2018 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 22 May 2018 09:43

I could swear that around 04/05 when I first started visiting this site...there was this poster named Adam...Gretzky avatar I think...but very different...always positive...defending moves made by the oilers...optimistic about the teams direction...almost Kool-Aid level..

I mean it was probably a dream...but I wonder what was the turning point. What was the one thing that would turn someone like that...so full of light and hope..

Makes me wonder if there is still hope for RDOilerfan to come around...in another decade or so maybe..

Haha...I started here a little later than you...middle of summer, 2005...right around the time the team traded for Pronger and Peca. That managed to buy Lowe a lot of rope from me...I remember being called an Oil-pologist in those early days.

I did like MacTavish as a coach usually, even if I didn't agree with some of what he did (Reddox on the top line, Tobey Peterson on the PP, calling Reasoner "Sakic"...)

And Lowe had an amazing year in 2005-06...it was enough to make me think he had a clue what he was doing. After all, he'd always had the excuse before then that we couldn't compete in a cap-less world.

And then we got a salary cap, and a rich owner, and spent to the cap every year and sucked every year while squandering talent and wasting years and trying to position themselves as meaning to suck when they clearly just failed. They increasingly became focused on protecting their own jobs as opposed to winning. They continued to hire rookie coaches and rookie management and people who thought exactly like them and shockingly, more of the same wasn't the solution. They hired friends and family in to key positions that they weren't qualified for, and blamed underlings for all the failure.

Eventually, you start looking back at the earlier days and realizing that behaviours you excused at the time - the exile of Sheldon Souray, the public feuding with ex-players, the bizarre Mike Comrie non-trade - weren't really excusable and actually injured the team just for the benefit of the ego of the GM/POHO/Vice-Chair. And you notice that each change in management leaves the same people in the room, but just adds a layer of protection for them by hiring an outside fall-guy who can take the blame if all goes poorly.

If you look close enough, you can see that these guys already tried to reassume the wheel once when they thought the team was trending up...only to break it even worse immediately.

I do wish I could still be optimistic about this team. I wish I could still be considered the bright-eyed Oil-pologist. But I know that the incompetence of those in charge here has no bounds, and that if success comes to the Oilers while they're here, that it's in spite of them. It requires ridiculous luck - like winning 4 out of 6 first overall picks, or having a season where no key player suffers any injury more serious than a bruise - and even then it's clear that these guys can screw it up by not realizing opportunity when it's staring them in the eyes or by trading away great players at pennies on the dollar, because they confuse the team sucking (which is mostly management's fault) for those players sucking.

SIGH.

I seem to recall being ahead of the curve in bashing Lowe and MacT, lol.

That 2006 run was a fluke. Bottom 4 in the west beats the top 4. We run into choker goalies every series until the last one. Roloson was going full 2018 Fleury for us, seemingly out of nowhere, no one could have predicted he would do that.

It was a fun run for sure, but a fluke, and no one should have expected the same to happen again, even if Pronger stayed. The key leadership on the team that Lowe inherited was eroding and aging. Lowe went all in on Horcoff as a #1C. All the signs were there, Lowe sucked :)

Then we go the next 10 years thinking a couple top end forwards would solve all our problems totally forgetting D, while the whole rest of the league is discovering that D is right behind elite C's in importance to build a team. sigh...

[Updated on: Tue, 22 May 2018 09:58]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714828 is a reply to message #714826 ]
Tue, 22 May 2018 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 22 May 2018 09:55

SIGH.

That 2006 run was a fluke. Bottom 4 in the west beats the top 4. We run into choker goalies every series until the last one. Roloson was going full 2018 Fleury for us, seemingly out of nowhere, no one could have predicted he would do that.

It was a fun run for sure, but a fluke, and no one should have expected the same to happen again, even if Pronger stayed. The key leadership on the team that Lowe inherited was eroding and aging. Lowe went all in on Horcoff as a #1C. All the signs were there, Lowe sucked :)

Then we go the next 10 years thinking a couple top end forwards would solve all our problems totally forgetting D, while the whole rest of the league is discovering that D is right behind elite C's in importance to build a team. sigh...

Yeah, panicked Lowe was only slightly better than panicked Pete Chiarelli. He lost Pronger (and I wonder now even about that - was it really the wife? Or was it the management that Pronger didn't care for?) and then suddenly he's swinging at every pitch. You've got well publicized campaigns to get Jagr and Hossa and Nylander. You've got an offer sheet to Vanek and another to Penner (which honestly, I still don't mind...I think Penner covered the bet). You've got him scrambling to sign Moreau and Staios early (and arguably overpaying for them), while leaving Smyth to the last minute. There's no patience, so landing Pitkanen, they flip him quickly because he's weird...getting Erik Cole who they quickly flip out too for O'Sullivan who's a total bust (although that's a Tambo trade).

To be fair, they did load up defence at one point. Souray/Visnovsky/Gilbert is a pretty solid 1-2-3, but they turned that in to Nothing/Injured Whitney/Nick Schultz...

You could write a book dissecting the Lowe years and the sheer incompetence demonstrated. It's amazing to think about how many times this whole team has been turned over with no discernible change in results and yet it's always somehow the players' fault...

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714837 is a reply to message #714828 ]
Tue, 22 May 2018 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 22 May 2018 10:35

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 22 May 2018 09:55

SIGH.

Yeah, panicked Lowe was only slightly better than panicked Pete Chiarelli. He lost Pronger (and I wonder now even about that - was it really the wife? Or was it the management that Pronger didn't care for?) and then suddenly he's swinging at every pitch. You've got well publicized campaigns to get Jagr and Hossa and Nylander. You've got an offer sheet to Vanek and another to Penner (which honestly, I still don't mind...I think Penner covered the bet). You've got him scrambling to sign Moreau and Staios early (and arguably overpaying for them), while leaving Smyth to the last minute. There's no patience, so landing Pitkanen, they flip him quickly because he's weird...getting Erik Cole who they quickly flip out too for O'Sullivan who's a total bust (although that's a Tambo trade).

To be fair, they did load up defence at one point. Souray/Visnovsky/Gilbert is a pretty solid 1-2-3, but they turned that in to Nothing/Injured Whitney/Nick Schultz...

You could write a book dissecting the Lowe years and the sheer incompetence demonstrated. It's amazing to think about how many times this whole team has been turned over with no discernible change in results and yet it's always somehow the players' fault...

I still don't get why such a stubborn fat head like Lowe that was never shy to start fights with players would trade Pronger so quickly. Was he just that confident that everything he touched would turn into gold after that playoff run? That really could have been it. 7 years later he was still saying that cup run was absolute proof of the genius he possessed.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714831 is a reply to message #714826 ]
Tue, 22 May 2018 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

FWIW, I don't think 2006 was a fluke. I think they had a really good team, with a really terrible goaltending duo for most of the year.

Conklin and Markkanen were both .880 save percentages that year and Morrison was .884. We had Hamsky with 78 points, Horcoff with 73, Stoll with 68. Ryan Smyth was fourth in scoring with 66 and Pronger was 5th at 56. We had years after that where our leading scorer didn't get 56 points (2006-07, 2010-11). Our second leading scorer wouldn't beat 56 points again until 2013-14 (where we somehow had four players above that, but our depth was horrible and our defence was worse.)

2006 was a deep team, with solid defence and good players on every line. The trades that year were pretty solid. Spacek stepped right in to the top 4 and Tarnstrom was as good a #6-7 d-man as you could hope for. Samsonov was a talent, and Roloson gave the team what it needed. He did go crazy for playoffs. Save percentage of .905 in the regular season, and then .927 in the playoffs. I wonder if the percentages across the league were lower due to the high volume of powerplays that year?

I think we had a bunch of players who matured about the same time and then a driver in Pronger who helped get the team on a mission. He was laser-focused on winning. He might be a jerk off the ice, but man, he was so good and he made the team a contender the day he was traded here. If the team had had a real goalie from day one, I think they would have been among the top teams all year.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714832 is a reply to message #714831 ]
Tue, 22 May 2018 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 22 May 2018 10:48

FWIW, I don't think 2006 was a fluke. I think they had a really good team, with a really terrible goaltending duo for most of the year.

Conklin and Markkanen were both .880 save percentages that year and Morrison was .884. We had Hamsky with 78 points, Horcoff with 73, Stoll with 68. Ryan Smyth was fourth in scoring with 66 and Pronger was 5th at 56. We had years after that where our leading scorer didn't get 56 points (2006-07, 2010-11). Our second leading scorer wouldn't beat 56 points again until 2013-14 (where we somehow had four players above that, but our depth was horrible and our defence was worse.)

2006 was a deep team, with solid defence and good players on every line. The trades that year were pretty solid. Spacek stepped right in to the top 4 and Tarnstrom was as good a #6-7 d-man as you could hope for. Samsonov was a talent, and Roloson gave the team what it needed. He did go crazy for playoffs. Save percentage of .905 in the regular season, and then .927 in the playoffs. I wonder if the percentages across the league were lower due to the high volume of powerplays that year?

I think we had a bunch of players who matured about the same time and then a driver in Pronger who helped get the team on a mission. He was laser-focused on winning. He might be a jerk off the ice, but man, he was so good and he made the team a contender the day he was traded here. If the team had had a real goalie from day one, I think they would have been among the top teams all year.

Was a decent team for sure, with bad goaltending. But the fluke part was how horrible the competition was in the playoffs that year. Detroit choked, again. Brutal goaltending, and their players were all on a streak of very disappointing playoffs. Then the 2,3,4 teams all choked too and we were left with team like us in rounds 2 and 3, lots of young guys, green in the playoffs, except their goalies sucked. That's a very fortunate run. Of course the luck was cancelled out in game 1 of the finals. Carolina was not that spectacular of a team either, almost lost in the 1st round, but Cam Ward did his own Fleury impression and held on long enough for the cup.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714833 is a reply to message #714831 ]
Tue, 22 May 2018 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 22 May 2018 09:48

Agreed on all of this. I've said it before, but they allowed the fewest shots in the league during the regular season, but had terrible goaltending. They had a legitimate first line, center depth and Pronger was just so good. 21 points in 24 games in the playoffs averaging almost 31 minutes a game! Yes, guys like Roloson and Pisani caught fire, but no team goes to the final without a couple guys like that.

Wins in a row the Oilers need to get to playoff pace: infinity
games!!

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714835 is a reply to message #714833 ]
Tue, 22 May 2018 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Tue, 22 May 2018 10:55

Agreed on all of this. I've said it before, but they allowed the fewest shots in the league during the regular season, but had terrible goaltending. They had a legitimate first line, center depth and Pronger was just so good. 21 points in 24 games in the playoffs averaging almost 31 minutes a game! Yes, guys like Roloson and Pisani caught fire, but no team goes to the final without a couple guys like that.

I dunno man. I think getting a mid-late 30's career backup and he suddenly plays the best hockey of his entire life for you for 3 rounds of the playoffs has a bit of luck involved :)

That team was an inch away from just being one of these Jets teams that Winnipeg fans have been stuck watching for years until this season. It's still on the GM when you have crap goaltending hiding a decent team, not sure how Lowe should have expected 05/06 to go any differently from the start of the year.

Lightning in a bottle, from the moment Lowe was gifted Pronger to the end of that run. So many little things that likely would never be reproduced. That was not actually a #1 line long term, just was for 1 season. Roli fell back to earth. A leadership vacuum in the org formed as the sather pieces got old and left. Overpaid grinders for 1 good run. Even if Ponger stayed, he is likely asking to be traded in a year or 2 anyways as the team swirled down the toilet, and Lowe would have had us on the same path regardless.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 May 2018 11:20]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714839 is a reply to message #714835 ]
Tue, 22 May 2018 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 22 May 2018 10:17

I dunno man. I think getting a mid-late 30's career backup and he suddenly plays the best hockey of his entire life for you for 3 rounds of the playoffs has a bit of luck involved :)

That team was an inch away from just being one of these Jets teams that Winnipeg fans have been stuck watching for years until this season. It's still on the GM when you have crap goaltending hiding a decent team, not sure how Lowe should have expected 05/06 to go any differently from the start of the year.

Lightning in a bottle, from the moment Lowe was gifted Pronger to the end of that run. So many little things that likely would never be reproduced. That was not actually a #1 line long term, just was for 1 season. Roli fell back to earth. A leadership vacuum in the org formed as the sather pieces got old and left. Overpaid grinders for 1 good run. Even if Ponger stayed, he is likely asking to be traded in a year or 2 anyways as the team swirled down the toilet, and Lowe would have had us on the same path regardless.

Haha don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say Lowe was some sort of genius. The next decade pretty much proves otherwise. There was for sure luck involved, im just saying that was a good team, and their regular season finish was much more reflective of garbage goaltending and not the true talent level of the team.

Ryan Smyth was traded the next season, with 31 goals in 53 games, so I guess I have to concede the legit first line point icon_wink

Roloson had seasons of .927 and .933 with the Wild just a couple years earlier ( splitting time with Fernandez I think), so it wasn't a total aberration. But definitely fortunate timing for sure.

games!!

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714840 is a reply to message #714839 ]
Tue, 22 May 2018 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Tue, 22 May 2018 12:07

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 22 May 2018 10:17

Haha don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say Lowe was some sort of genius. The next decade pretty much proves otherwise. There was for sure luck involved, im just saying that was a good team, and their regular season finish was much more reflective of garbage goaltending and not the true talent level of the team.

Ryan Smyth was traded the next season, with 31 goals in 53 games, so I guess I have to concede the legit first line point icon_wink

Roloson had seasons of .927 and .933 with the Wild just a couple years earlier ( splitting time with Fernandez I think), so it wasn't a total aberration. But definitely fortunate timing for sure.

I'm realising, this is all really my bad.

I just figured we didn't have enough to complain about in the present, so we should fully revisit terrible things that happened in the past :)

sheesh, Manny Fernandez, blast from the past. I think he stole the starter job from Roli in the playoffs on a surprise Wild playoff run. Lemaire was definitely the man back in the dead puck era.

I was mainly talking about the Horc-ster regarding the top line. Horc would never come close to reproducing his 05/06 season, although he was still paid nicey for his 70+ point year and the playoff run, and was expected to be a top line C for some time after.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 May 2018 13:00]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714844 is a reply to message #714835 ]
Tue, 22 May 2018 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 22 May 2018 11:17

To be fair, two seasons later, Horcoff had 50 points in 53 games before his all-star game shoulder injury. He was never the same after that.

Horcoff/Hemsky/Smyth regularly outshot and outchanced other first lines going head to head. I don't think Horcoff was your prototypical driver, but he had good offensive instincts (look at the PPs with him, Hall & Eberle a few years later even), and was the defensive conscience of a line, allowing his wingers to take chances. I think he was a better and more valuable player than Ryan Smyth...just a lot less fanfare and an unfortunate contract.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714846 is a reply to message #714844 ]
Tue, 22 May 2018 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 22 May 2018 13:48

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 22 May 2018 11:17

To be fair, two seasons later, Horcoff had 50 points in 53 games before his all-star game shoulder injury. He was never the same after that.

Horcoff/Hemsky/Smyth regularly outshot and outchanced other first lines going head to head. I don't think Horcoff was your prototypical driver, but he had good offensive instincts (look at the PPs with him, Hall & Eberle a few years later even), and was the defensive conscience of a line, allowing his wingers to take chances. I think he was a better and more valuable player than Ryan Smyth...just a lot less fanfare and an unfortunate contract.

Aw man. Now I have brought back Horc defending Adam.

I'm really making a mess here :)

Was the 50 points year the one where he got the magic sticks from the tree of eternal life that he selfishly chopped down, and was able to score on basically every shot he took? Yeah, that was a cool year for him.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 May 2018 15:10]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714836 is a reply to message #714833 ]
Tue, 22 May 2018 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

No doubt Pronger was really good and Pisani went on the run for his life but without Roloson playing the best goal of his life, they don't make it out of the first round. Taking the Oilers colored glasses off for a second. Does everyone agree the Oilers win the cup if Roloson doesn't get hurt? Once Roloson went down, the Oilers goaltending lost them the first 2 games yet they still took them to 7.

Vegas's run to me has proved that goaltending is pretty much everything to a team. Marchessault is their top scorer with 18 pts in 15 games which is decent but they aren't winning without Fleury. 12-3, 4 shut outs, 1.68 GA, 0.947%.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714838 is a reply to message #714836 ]
Tue, 22 May 2018 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

Yes. I will never forgive Bergeron or Conklin for that game.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714848 is a reply to message #714820 ]
Tue, 22 May 2018 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 16 May 2018 22:48

OilMJMOil wrote on Tue, 15 May 2018 08:36

Magnum wrote on Mon, 14 May 2018 06:48

Not sure where to put this, but:

I find it interesting and a testament to the awesomeness of the contributors to this website, that the idea that the team was full of time wasting meddlers, has been contemplated and pointed out for years here. It's even better that the Banff CJs were a thing on this website only two or three months prior to reports of the Red Wine Summits (I love that the word "summit" is in there, I hope to myself in private that is a nod to "Banff"), which is exactly the same thing but expressed in a more media appropriate way.

Good job everyone.

This site is literally my favorite part of being a fan, even though I'm a sarcastic so and so, I surely and truly enjoy this website. It used to be the games. Now, the joy I derive from being a fan of the Oilers can be broken down as follows (top 3):

1. Oilfans
2. Connor
3. Watching the careers of ex-Oilers

I was a long time reader before (my attempts at) contributing. Born in '88... missed the majority of the glory days, though I do not have any memories of them there are pictures of me and my brother watching Messier hoist the cup. The years to follow... the battles with Dallas... the run in '06... the DoD... I was camping with then girlfriend when the Taylor Hall draft was on. Then again with the Nuge draft. I didn't turn on the radio... I didn't follow along on NHL.com, I got my fill here... from all of you! I'm with you Magnum. This place is literally my favourite part of being an Oiler fan. AND... I'm so close to my first cup haha. Here's to many more memories with all of you!

Well, these feelings of joy are apparently not universal, sadly:

PoolParty's Signature

This forum has turned into a pessimistic cesspool

#Adam #RDOilerfan #Kr55 #CrusaderPi

I have to say, I think this is pretty unfair to RDOF. He's consistently positive about the team!

Those other guys are all grouchy old curmudgeons though.

I recall Adam slowly turning to the dark side. It was pretty awesome. I liked watching the chinks in the armour start to finally appear. I admired how he allowed facts to change his mind as they began to stack up. Too often people are stubborn and defend their original stance beyond reason. Especially when it’s a very strong stance, but Adam wasn’t narrow minded about it and was pretty honest about his opinion of what he was seeing in management. I don’t think I was in any way ahead of the curve on this. I’m just more negative/pessimistic than the average poster.

In many of our debates on tanking he often warned many of us on the lingering effects it can have on an organization. I totally downplayed that..

Limecat Logic

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714854 is a reply to message #714848 ]
Tue, 22 May 2018 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Tue, 22 May 2018 15:00

Adam wrote on Wed, 16 May 2018 22:48

OilMJMOil wrote on Tue, 15 May 2018 08:36

Magnum wrote on Mon, 14 May 2018 06:48

Not sure where to put this, but:

I find it interesting and a testament to the awesomeness of the contributors to this website, that the idea that the team was full of time wasting meddlers, has been contemplated and pointed out for years here. It's even better that the Banff CJs were a thing on this website only two or three months prior to reports of the Red Wine Summits (I love that the word "summit" is in there, I hope to myself in private that is a nod to "Banff"), which is exactly the same thing but expressed in a more media appropriate way.

Good job everyone.

This site is literally my favorite part of being a fan, even though I'm a sarcastic so and so, I surely and truly enjoy this website. It used to be the games. Now, the joy I derive from being a fan of the Oilers can be broken down as follows (top 3):

1. Oilfans
2. Connor
3. Watching the careers of ex-Oilers

I was a long time reader before (my attempts at) contributing. Born in '88... missed the majority of the glory days, though I do not have any memories of them there are pictures of me and my brother watching Messier hoist the cup. The years to follow... the battles with Dallas... the run in '06... the DoD... I was camping with then girlfriend when the Taylor Hall draft was on. Then again with the Nuge draft. I didn't turn on the radio... I didn't follow along on NHL.com, I got my fill here... from all of you! I'm with you Magnum. This place is literally my favourite part of being an Oiler fan. AND... I'm so close to my first cup haha. Here's to many more memories with all of you!

Well, these feelings of joy are apparently not universal, sadly:

PoolParty's Signature

This forum has turned into a pessimistic cesspool

#Adam #RDOilerfan #Kr55 #CrusaderPi

I have to say, I think this is pretty unfair to RDOF. He's consistently positive about the team!

Those other guys are all grouchy old curmudgeons though.

I recall Adam slowly turning to the dark side. It was pretty awesome. I liked watching the chinks in the armour start to finally appear. I admired how he allowed facts to change his mind as they began to stack up. Too often people are stubborn and defend their original stance beyond reason. Especially when it’s a very strong stance, but Adam wasn’t narrow minded about it and was pretty honest about his opinion of what he was seeing in management. I don’t think I was in any way ahead of the curve on this. I’m just more negative/pessimistic than the average poster.

In many of our debates on tanking he often warned many of us on the lingering effects it can have on an organization. I totally downplayed that..

Haha...I do remember the arguments against tanking.

I think it's worth noting that all the teams that did tank and rebound - the Chicagos and Pittsburghs of the league - fired the bad management that got them to the bottom and they rebuilt with much more solid management...it isn't enough to just get a high draft pick or six, you need someone to know what to do with them. And the Oilers ignored that part of the model and kept everyone on.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714865 is a reply to message #714854 ]
Tue, 22 May 2018 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

To be fair, I think they tried to do that with Chia.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714866 is a reply to message #714865 ]
Wed, 23 May 2018 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Tue, 22 May 2018 23:24

It doesn't count if everyone else still gets to keep their office and sit in on all the meetings.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714877 is a reply to message #714866 ]
Wed, 23 May 2018 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 23 May 2018 00:29

Magnum wrote on Tue, 22 May 2018 23:24

It doesn't count if everyone else still gets to keep their office and sit in on all the meetings.

I think it really says something about the lure of McDavid that Chia would agree to that situation. I mean, pre-Oilers he had a great reputation around the league, he had a Cup, I don't think he would have been waiting long for another GM offer. But he willingly chose to come to a situation where he knew the old GM (and the rest of the crew), was still going to be employed by the team.

games!!

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714891 is a reply to message #714866 ]
Wed, 23 May 2018 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

*they all got bigger offices

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #715984 is a reply to message #714891 ]
Thu, 21 June 2018 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Chiarelli with media availability from Vegas at 11 AM today MDT (on National Selfie Day)...

https://www.facebook.com/Oilers.NHL/videos/10156255078732128 /

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLJPB72zMeg

https://twitter.com/edmontonoilers

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/video/t-277437406/c-42256703

...The Oiler website says 11 AM MST, but I'll guess that is just an oversight...

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #715991 is a reply to message #715984 ]
Thu, 21 June 2018 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Thu, 21 June 2018 09:54

Chiarelli with media availability from Vegas at 11 AM today MDT (on National Selfie Day)...

...The Oiler website says 11 AM MST, but I'll guess that is just an oversight...

Already happened

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #715998 is a reply to message #715984 ]
Thu, 21 June 2018 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Holy crap. This is surreal.
How does management need to improve? The players werent good enough
Lucic? He is still young in the big picture and I expect him to bounce back to form. His skating was good but needed to finish better.
How do you plan to improve scoring on the right wing? We have good enough wingers and had enough scoring, have seen how many centerman we have?
Any plans to give Talbot some relief? We have Talbot and Monotoya. (has he already forgotton that he signed Koskinen?)

15 mins in and I just dont get what 90% of what he relays in answers.

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

Seasons without a terrible signing or trade counter= 1 (July 1, 2018 to present)

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #715999 is a reply to message #715984 ]
Thu, 21 June 2018 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Is this presser in Earls Kitchen and Bar?

The background noise is a distraction.

Limecat Logic

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714687 is a reply to message #714528 ]
Wed, 16 May 2018 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

1 Cup

I know this is a Chia thread... but Jason Smith signed his 3-year head coach contract in July 2016... 2016/17 and 2017/18 have elapsed. He was a skills coach then an assistant with the Ottawa Senators before the Kelowna Rockets head coach role. It would be very Oilers to bring him in if the team doesn’t perform under TMac this coming season...

2016: We need to get heavier, and we need a defenseman!

2018: We need to get faster, and we need a defenseman!

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714688 is a reply to message #714687 ]
Wed, 16 May 2018 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Wed, 16 May 2018 23:15

I know this is a Chia thread... but Jason Smith signed his 3-year head coach contract in July 2016... 2016/17 and 2017/18 have elapsed. He was a skills coach then an assistant with the Ottawa Senators before the Kelowna Rockets head coach role. It would be very Oilers to bring him in if the team doesn’t perform under TMac this coming season...

I know he was a great Oiler at one point, but there was this ugly incident:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/former-oilers-capt ain-jason-smith-charged-with-domestic-assault-confinement

I struggle with these things to an extent - how long does someone face consequences for an action, but at the same time, domestic violence is a really serious issue and I'm not sure I would be excited to see Smith return for that reason.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714762 is a reply to message #714688 ]
Fri, 18 May 2018 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 16 May 2018 23:22

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/former-oilers-capt ain-jason-smith-charged-with-domestic-assault-confinement

I struggle with these things to an extent - how long does someone face consequences for an action, but at the same time, domestic violence is a really serious issue and I'm not sure I would be excited to see Smith return for that reason.

Charges dropped though.
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/assault-charges-against-former-o ilers-captain-dropped-1.567688

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714764 is a reply to message #714762 ]
Fri, 18 May 2018 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Fri, 18 May 2018 12:14

Charges dropped though.
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/assault-charges-against-former-o ilers-captain-dropped-1.567688

Yes, but dropped because his wife didn't want to press it further, he agreed to get help and they reconciled. This is the key paragraph in that article:

Quote:

The couple is now living together in the Ottawa region. Smith must now continue domestic violence counselling, abstain from alcohol and report to a probation officer.

It's not like they cleared him of this or that the original reported facts weren't accurate.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714771 is a reply to message #714764 ]
Fri, 18 May 2018 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Fri, 18 May 2018 12:18

Charges dropped though.

Yes, but dropped because his wife didn't want to press it further, he agreed to get help and they reconciled. This is the key paragraph in that article:

Quote:

The couple is now living together in the Ottawa region. Smith must now continue domestic violence counselling, abstain from alcohol and report to a probation officer.

It's not like they cleared him of this or that the original reported facts weren't accurate.

And one would think being the Oilers Head Coach comes with a requirement of being on the sauce... especially if you want to partake in the RWS.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714849 is a reply to message #714771 ]
Tue, 22 May 2018 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Fri, 18 May 2018 14:39

Adam wrote on Fri, 18 May 2018 12:18

Charges dropped though.

Quote:

And one would think being the Oilers Head Coach comes with a requirement of being on the sauce... especially if you want to partake in the RWS.

Are we really saying that the moral history of an Oilers' coach candidate, is a job criteria that is enforced?

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #716046 is a reply to message #714528 ]
Thu, 21 June 2018 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

This is when the Chia advantage kicks in. As Nicholson said, lots of GM's like Chia and want to work with him. This is can only turn out well for us.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #716048 is a reply to message #716046 ]
Thu, 21 June 2018 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mad90  is currently offline mad90

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 21 June 2018 18:33

This is when the Chia advantage kicks in. As Nicholson said, lots of GM's like Chia and want to work with him. This is can only turn out well for us.

They like him so much because he always give them a good deal lol.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 June 2018 22:50]

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #716050 is a reply to message #716048 ]
Thu, 21 June 2018 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mad90 wrote on Thu, 21 June 2018 19:04

They like him so much because they always give them a good deal lol.

While that would make sense, I choose to believe it's because Chia is just that great of a guy that people love to talk to and be around. Just a special kind of guy.

DId you see his interview today? Guy was just oozing confidence and charisma.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #716057 is a reply to message #716050 ]
Thu, 21 June 2018 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 21 June 2018 19:23

They like him so much because they always give them a good deal lol.

While that would make sense, I choose to believe it's because Chia is just that great of a guy that people love to talk to and be around. Just a special kind of guy.

DId you see his interview today? Guy was just oozing confidence and charisma.

Heard bits and pieces while driving home from the inlaws who live in yeg. Did I hear correctly that Chia basically said Lucic is not being traded and that the roster will be widely unchanged from last year?? If so... sigh. faint

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #716059 is a reply to message #716048 ]
Fri, 22 June 2018 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

They like him so much because he always give them a good deal lol.

If I am a rival GM I call right before he picks and get him go make a panic move. He capped us out and traded out lots of talent just like in Bos. Time for the firing squad.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #717555 is a reply to message #716059 ]
Sun, 12 August 2018 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

....Chiarelli indicates the Oilers will do better than last year, but not as good as 2016-17....

https://www.nhl.com/news/2018-19-edmonton-oilers-season-prev iew/c-299707618?tid=290471364

...."I believe we are headed in the right direction," general manager Peter Chiarelli said. "I don't know if we're going to be as good as we were two years ago, but we're going to be better. To a player, maybe not every single player will be better than last year, but I can assure you a good number of them will be better, due to their age, their pride and what they've done through the course of their careers."....

....who hired this guy?....

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #717556 is a reply to message #717555 ]
Sun, 12 August 2018 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sun, 12 August 2018 09:21

....Chiarelli indicates the Oilers will do better than last year, but not as good as 2016-17....

https://www.nhl.com/news/2018-19-edmonton-oilers-season-prev iew/c-299707618?tid=290471364

...."I believe we are headed in the right direction," general manager Peter Chiarelli said. "I don't know if we're going to be as good as we were two years ago, but we're going to be better. To a player, maybe not every single player will be better than last year, but I can assure you a good number of them will be better, due to their age, their pride and what they've done through the course of their careers."....

#BobbyNicks

He's a hockey super genius.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #717558 is a reply to message #717556 ]
Sun, 12 August 2018 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 12 August 2018 20:28

#BobbyNicks

Who could ask for more than possibly winning a single playoff round?

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #717585 is a reply to message #717558 ]
Tue, 14 August 2018 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sun, 12 August 2018 21:22

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 12 August 2018 20:28

#BobbyNicks

Who could ask for more than possibly winning a single playoff round?

I read this and I look at my ticket card for next season and all I can think is, I've made a huge mistake. I wonder if Chia ever thought that?

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #717592 is a reply to message #717555 ]
Tue, 14 August 2018 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Oh yeah, smell that? I smell a #developmentyear!

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Happy Jimmy Carson Day!
Next Topic:Is Darnell Nurse Good or Bad at Hockey?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca