This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers Trade for Cooper MarodyPages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712247]
Wed, 21 March 2018 12:12 Go to next message
SunshinesDad  is currently offline SunshinesDad

No Cups

Oilers pick up Flyers 6th round draft pick from 2015 draft in exchange for the 3rd round pick from NJ.

https://www.tsn.ca/oilers-acquire-rights-to-c-marody-from-fl yers-1.1033750

https://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/20 17/11/11/flyers-prospect-watch-cooper-marody-tear-michigan/8 55334001/

[Updated on: Wed, 21 March 2018 12:15]

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-3PCGZ_c0m91rN7zn75aow

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712248 is a reply to message #712247 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Who?

I just looked him up. He's right handed. Other than that, I never heard of him.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712249 is a reply to message #712247 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Never heard of him either.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/stats/overall.php

He's tied for 10th in NCAA scoring, right hand shot centre.

Career numbers :

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=248334

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712250 is a reply to message #712247 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Right shot centre. Seems to be trending up, led the Big 10 in scoring this year with 46 points in 37 games for a Michigan team that will play in the NCAA tournament starting this weekend.

Short circuits a couple of development years as he is a Junior and turned 21 in December.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712253 is a reply to message #712250 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SunshinesDad  is currently offline SunshinesDad

No Cups

Apparently he had Mono in his freshman year and missed most of the season and then because he didn't get enough credits due to the Mono in his Freshman year he wasn't academically qualified to play in his second year so this year is basically his first year of playing in College.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-3PCGZ_c0m91rN7zn75aow

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712251 is a reply to message #712247 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

See, this I don't get. We know picks are overvalued on the draft floor, so why spend a 3rd on a player that will likely never play for the Oilers when we can use that pick as a sweetener in a package that actually address holes in our roster. We got Talbot for a 2nd, 3rd, and 7th. We got Maroon for a prospect and pick. This is not an uncommon thing, yet we waste a bullet on a kid who is a long-shot for depth role a few years down the road.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712254 is a reply to message #712251 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

ziltoid wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 12:26

See, this I don't get. We know picks are overvalued on the draft floor, so why spend a 3rd on a player that will likely never play for the Oilers when we can use that pick as a sweetener in a package that actually address holes in our roster. We got Talbot for a 2nd, 3rd, and 7th. We got Maroon for a prospect and pick. This is not an uncommon thing, yet we waste a bullet on a kid who is a long-shot for depth role a few years down the road.

I have no clue about this kid or whether he will ever play with the Oilers. I don't know what the odds are of the chances of a 3rd round pick making the NHL but they are pretty low. You are drafting these kids when they are 17, maybe 18 yrs old and projecting what they MIGHT do years from now when they are playing men. Right now they are up against kids. You think he will grow more but there is no guarantee. You think he will get faster but that isn't a guarantee. You think whatever holes in his game will get better with age but you don't know that. Yak was supposed to be this goal scoring, point producing top 6 guy. So much so he was the consensus #1 pick. He is what, a 4th liner at best?
If you pick a kid in the 3rd round and IF he ends up making the NHL. From the time you are drafting him at 17/18, its probably 4 yrs before you see him in the NHL. At least with a 21 yr old. You know how big he is, you know what his skating is like, you know what his strengths and weaknesses are. So I don't see it as a bad deal.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712265 is a reply to message #712254 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 12:36

I have no clue about this kid or whether he will ever play with the Oilers. I don't know what the odds are of the chances of a 3rd round pick making the NHL but they are pretty low. You are drafting these kids when they are 17, maybe 18 yrs old and projecting what they MIGHT do years from now when they are playing men. Right now they are up against kids. You think he will grow more but there is no guarantee. You think he will get faster but that isn't a guarantee. You think whatever holes in his game will get better with age but you don't know that. Yak was supposed to be this goal scoring, point producing top 6 guy. So much so he was the consensus #1 pick. He is what, a 4th liner at best?
If you pick a kid in the 3rd round and IF he ends up making the NHL. From the time you are drafting him at 17/18, its probably 4 yrs before you see him in the NHL. At least with a 21 yr old. You know how big he is, you know what his skating is like, you know what his strengths and weaknesses are. So I don't see it as a bad deal.

You seemed to ignore the exact reason that Ziltoid is shaking his head at this and I agree with him.
There are many times that a third round pick can tip a trade to your favor, especially on the draft floor.
When a Gm starts tossing picks away on lottery tickets it is a signal to me that they have either been told, or are assuming, they are on the hot seat.
You are 100% right that a 3rd round pick is not likely to help the team in the next few years. If PC is thinking he wont be around that long those picks have zero value for him and it leads to trades like this.

I know nothing of Marody but for a team that should be in a win now mode that pick asset should be used to improve the team, not just throw another fishing line in a shallow pond.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712271 is a reply to message #712265 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 14:05

You seemed to ignore the exact reason that Ziltoid is shaking his head at this and I agree with him.
There are many times that a third round pick can tip a trade to your favor, especially on the draft floor.
When a Gm starts tossing picks away on lottery tickets it is a signal to me that they have either been told, or are assuming, they are on the hot seat.
You are 100% right that a 3rd round pick is not likely to help the team in the next few years. If PC is thinking he wont be around that long those picks have zero value for him and it leads to trades like this.

I know nothing of Marody but for a team that should be in a win now mode that pick asset should be used to improve the team, not just throw another fishing line in a shallow pond.

I get that but here is a list of the picks they have.

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Fut ure/Oilers.htm

So they have all their picks in this years draft except their 4th. In next years draft, they have all their own picks, plus an additional 3rd rounder from the Islanders. The pick they gave up was the Devils 3rd.

So they gave up ONE third rounder out of the 3 they had for next years draft. OHHH THE HORROR!!! They and still do exactly what Ziltoid said which is use a 3rd as a sweetner and STILL have another one left over. So they get a guy who might be able to at least go the minors right away and inject some skill into the minor league team so when guys like Benson and maybe Yamamoto turn pro, maybe they can play with a reasonable player rather than having a career AHLer stunting their growth. Hopefully this guy in a year or 2 can maybe crack the Oilers bottom 6.

[Updated on: Wed, 21 March 2018 15:23]

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712272 is a reply to message #712271 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 15:18

I get that but here is a list of the picks they have.

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Fut ure/Oilers.htm

So they have all their picks in this years draft except their 4th. In next years draft, they have all their own picks, plus an additional 3rd rounder from the Islanders. The pick they gave up was the Devils 3rd.

So they gave up ONE third rounder out of the 3 they had for next years draft. OHHH THE HORROR!!! They and still do exactly what Ziltoid said which is use a 3rd as a sweetner and STILL have another one left over. So they get a guy who might be able to at least go the minors right away and inject some skill into the minor league team so when guys like Benson and maybe Yamamoto turn pro, maybe they can play with a reasonable player rather than having a career AHLer stunting their growth. Hopefully this guy in a year or 2 can maybe crack the Oilers bottom 6.

First off, to the bolded part, easy on the confrontational hyperbole. I don't think myself or anyone else said we hated the trade or called you stupid for being ok with it.

To your actual comments, that is a fair point, they do have enough picks that trading one isn't the end of the world.
Just because I have a dozen beer and will likely only drink ten this weekend doesnt mean I will pour two down the drain tonight. Who knows when those extra ones might come in handy.
The bigger picture is that this is another example of poor asset management. We traded a 3rd round pick for a former 6th round pick.
- He is 6'1", 173 punds and hasn't put on weight since being drafted so it doesnt seem there is much "man strength" yet to come. (caveat is that he did have mono so perhaps that slowed progress on this front.
- one that has had one good season in University hockey but doesnt have any indicator as anything more likely to have an impact than a third round pick
- one that if he returns for his senior season there will be an FA after if the Oilers dont sign him

On a positive note his biggest assets are listed as speed and creativity. Perhaps we found our replacement for RNH when he is our annual summer trade bait.

The above makes this seem like a waste to me. Once more asset that MIGHT have value in a trade, and worst case has IMO, the same or perhaps even better chances of being a contributing member of the team seems like a poor use of available resources.

This has nothing to do with Marody himself. I have never heard of him. All I know is the same stuff everyone else here has read today.

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712280 is a reply to message #712272 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 16:02

- He is 6'1", 173 punds and hasn't put on weight since being drafted so it doesnt seem there is much "man strength" yet to come. (caveat is that he did have mono so perhaps that slowed progress on this front.
- one that has had one good season in University hockey but doesnt have any indicator as anything more likely to have an impact than a third round pick
- one that if he returns for his senior season there will be an FA after if the Oilers dont sign him

On a positive note his biggest assets are listed as speed and creativity. Perhaps we found our replacement for RNH when he is our annual summer trade bait.

I'm not overly concerned with where he was drafted. Three years from his draft date, he does look to have taken a step forward. That's a pretty strong year with 46 points in 37 games. He led his team in scoring and that team is the #2 seed in the Frozen Four. We see lots of guys come out of college who are way more valuable than they were on their draft day.

Questions I'd have on this are:
1) Is he a UFA after next season? Does he want to finish school or sign a pro deal? If the he's going to play out his last year at Michigan and then become a free agent, it will be hard to talk him in to signing before free agency because he would be able to call his shot. If he wants to turn pro now, that might be a different discussion.

It makes sense to ask why Philly is dealing him - have they had all those discussions and heard that he wants to go another year in the NCAA? Is Philly just realizing on an asset before losing it for nothing in a year?

2) What's the plan for him? Is he bolstering the AHL ranks? Or are we going to rush to put him in the NHL lineup like we did with Caggiula. If he signs, I'd prefer to see him go to Bakersfield and develop a little rather than push him in to action.

3) Does our GM have a little too much of a soft spot for players who came the route he did? We're seeing a high reliance on college players - both in guys we're signing in the summer and at the draft table. If they're really the best players, that's great, but if it's just because he sees a little of himself in them, then that's less ideal.

Interesting to note that this was the third round pick we got for Maroon. That deal is now Maroon for Dudek and Marody. I think it's extremely long odds that either of these players ever approach Maroon's level of play, but on the surface, Marody looks to have more of a shot of actually playing an NHL game some day...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712292 is a reply to message #712280 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

[quote title=Adam wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 16:08][quote title=PlusOne wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 16:02]
3) Does our GM have a little too much of a soft spot for players who came the route he did? We're seeing a high reliance on college players - both in guys we're signing in the summer and at the draft table. If they're really the best players, that's great, but if it's just because he sees a little of himself in them, then that's less ideal.

I was just thinking this. Cue the Nuge to the Rags for Vesey and a pick...coming this summer! We'll have the best player on the planet, the German Gretzky...and then just a bunch of college grads.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712295 is a reply to message #712292 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

[quote title=Xombie wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 19:28][quote title=Adam wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 16:08]

I was just thinking this. Cue the Nuge to the Rags for Vesey and a pick...coming this summer! We'll have the best player on the planet, the German Gretzky...and then just a bunch of college grads.

That's crazy, I didn't know that Chia played for the Panthers!

The Nottingham Panthers of the BHL (BRITISH Ice Hockey League, now called the Elite Ice Hockey League). icon_lol

https://www.icelocker.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/ba0180c7eaa4ada4849cdd8f8be0e0ac/p/a/paws.jpg

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712299 is a reply to message #712280 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 17:08

I'm not overly concerned with where he was drafted. Three years from his draft date, he does look to have taken a step forward. That's a pretty strong year with 46 points in 37 games. He led his team in scoring and that team is the #2 seed in the Frozen Four. We see lots of guys come out of college who are way more valuable than they were on their draft day.

Questions I'd have on this are:
1) Is he a UFA after next season? Does he want to finish school or sign a pro deal? If the he's going to play out his last year at Michigan and then become a free agent, it will be hard to talk him in to signing before free agency because he would be able to call his shot. If he wants to turn pro now, that might be a different discussion.

It makes sense to ask why Philly is dealing him - have they had all those discussions and heard that he wants to go another year in the NCAA? Is Philly just realizing on an asset before losing it for nothing in a year?

2) What's the plan for him? Is he bolstering the AHL ranks? Or are we going to rush to put him in the NHL lineup like we did with Caggiula. If he signs, I'd prefer to see him go to Bakersfield and develop a little rather than push him in to action.

Interesting to note that this was the third round pick we got for Maroon. That deal is now Maroon for Dudek and Marody. I think it's extremely long odds that either of these players ever approach Maroon's level of play, but on the surface, Marody looks to have more of a shot of actually playing an NHL game some day...

I only brought up the draft spot as I know nothing of this guy so I see him as likely to pan out as the pick so to me it is semi relevant.
He did take a step forward and you are right, his value to a god college team seems to be his a player. Perhaps I should be happier to have a guy who has done something, somewhere.

to your points;
1. Agree 100%
2. I am jaded, as many are. I have n doubt that he will be rushed to the NHL. Especially when I firmly believe PC is making trades with a hopeful payoff, regardless how small, for a short term gain as he knows his time is limited.
3. I think so. A bigger worry for me is he seems to go all in on a current league trend a couple years too late. He spent 2 years making the team bigger, tougher and slooooower just as the rest of the league was getting faster. Now the scouting report on every player seems to be below average size and/or weight but above average size.

Iam mostly indifferent to trades like this but given his body of work it seems to fall in line with his panic moves just at a tinier scale.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712277 is a reply to message #712271 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

Gave up a 3rd round pick for a no-body drafted in the 6th round. Sounds like a Plante, Reinhart type scenario. Trade down for nothing, smartest guy in the room type deal. Maybe he works out, hopefully he does, but the way they gift positions to marginal players in Edmonton I doubt he will ever play.

Waste of a pick that could have been used to leverage a trade if omething of value was offered to the Oilers.

This is scared Pete doing scared things here. Such a waste of time and talents. He will drive this joke further into the ground before he leaves. Book that.

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #766872 is a reply to message #712271 ]
Fri, 18 September 2020 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Marody is headed to Austria.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-loan-marody-t o-dornbirn-bulldogs/c-319002950

I don't know of any Calgary Flames or their prospects headed to Europe.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #766875 is a reply to message #766872 ]
Fri, 18 September 2020 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 18 September 2020 12:21

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-loan-marody-t o-dornbirn-bulldogs/c-319002950

Do these all have out-clauses for when the AHL resumes? I don't mind them getting some hockey in during the fall, but *when* the NHL begins again, Marody seems like a reasonable bet for a callup.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #766884 is a reply to message #766875 ]
Fri, 18 September 2020 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 18 September 2020 12:46

Do these all have out-clauses for when the AHL resumes? I don't mind them getting some hockey in during the fall, but *when* the NHL begins again, Marody seems like a reasonable bet for a callup.

Yes - all these postings have out-clauses. The Oilers are just trying to find places for everyone to play until there is a season again. I'd think as much as the NHL season is in danger, the AHL may be even more so so it's good to get players on the ice SOMEWHERE.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #766886 is a reply to message #766884 ]
Fri, 18 September 2020 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 18 September 2020 13:55

Yes - all these postings have out-clauses. The Oilers are just trying to find places for everyone to play until there is a season again. I'd think as much as the NHL season is in danger, the AHL may be even more so so it's good to get players on the ice SOMEWHERE.

Agreed. And honestly, I don't even mind if some of the guys without much of a shot at NHL minutes spent the year in Europe vs. the AHL/CHL (which I agree, both may be in jeopardy of not playing).

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #766893 is a reply to message #766886 ]
Fri, 18 September 2020 15:15 Go to previous message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 18 September 2020 14:15

Adam wrote on Fri, 18 September 2020 13:55

Agreed. And honestly, I don't even mind if some of the guys without much of a shot at NHL minutes spent the year in Europe vs. the AHL/CHL (which I agree, both may be in jeopardy of not playing).

Some of these postings have been to B-level teams too...I think the Oilers first concern has just been getting them on the ice at all. Could be a pretty fun time for some of these young guys. Get to go over and live in Europe for a few months while playing pro hockey? There's worse fates.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712285 is a reply to message #712265 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Oilers still have a draft pick in the third round if there is a deal they are desperate to get in on. They have all their picks minus the fourth (Montoya). They also have all their picks (plus and extra 3rd round pick next year) for both 2019 and 2020.

I see this more as using a draft pick in March instead of June and getting a player a couple years older who benefits the team now as opposed to making the pick in June and then waiting for a few years for any potential benefit.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712291 is a reply to message #712285 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 17:28

Oilers still have a draft pick in the third round if there is a deal they are desperate to get in on. They have all their picks minus the fourth (Montoya). They also have all their picks (plus and extra 3rd round pick next year) for both 2019 and 2020.

I see this more as using a draft pick in March instead of June and getting a player a couple years older who benefits the team now as opposed to making the pick in June and then waiting for a few years for any potential benefit.

A couple years ago (heck, even 365 days ago) I would have thought the same and been 100% okay with the move; probably even say it was a good move as we are skipping a few development years and cutting out a lot of the uncertainty that comes with a non-first rounder. But PC has backed this team into a corner, and if we are to get out of it, we need to trade and free-agent our way out of it. The clock is ticking on our competitive window, and we just took a bullet out of the chamber as the wolves (other GMs looking at our cap situation down the road) are starting to circle. It seems like PC is strategizing about tomorrow's dinner menu when the ship's hit an iceberg and we are taking on water fast.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712300 is a reply to message #712285 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

As I mentioned in my reply to RDOF; having a bunch of picks doesnt mean they should be expendable without a good trade. It doesn't excuse this trade if in fact Marody plans to go back to school and he will be a FA roughly 16 months from now.

The team needs every piece of tradeable ammo it has, they can't go wasting them.

I have low odds that either that third round pick or this player will ever contribute to the Oilers improving anytime in the next 5 years so in the end it isn't a big deal.

I am just tired of what I see as bad asset management.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712306 is a reply to message #712300 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 22 March 2018 00:16

As I mentioned in my reply to RDOF; having a bunch of picks doesnt mean they should be expendable without a good trade. It doesn't excuse this trade if in fact Marody plans to go back to school and he will be a FA roughly 16 months from now.

The team needs every piece of tradeable ammo it has, they can't go wasting them.

I have low odds that either that third round pick or this player will ever contribute to the Oilers improving anytime in the next 5 years so in the end it isn't a big deal.

I am just tired of what I see as bad asset management.

Look I get you dislike the management but do you seriously think they make the trade without knowing they can sign him?

I get people are pissed, I'm just as pissed. I am not in the "burn it all to the ground, everyone needs to pay" group like some people are but I know that whatever they are doing didn't work. I know the organization needs to do some things different. Whether that is change in the philosophy of the team, fire everyone, fire a few people, I don't know exactly but clearly things need to change. But when it comes to trades or signings, I don't for a second think this organization is doing these things just to piss the fans off because they think it's funny. I don't think they are closing their eyes and throwing a dart at the board and say "Let's try him'. I would assume they would have done some checking and see if they could sign the kid. I would expect that he would sign after he is done the College playoffs.

Thanks to past management and thinking that guys like Moroz, Musil and a list of others could play, the Oilers have diddly squat in the system right now that are even decent AHLers let alone guys looking to push for NHL spots. Slowly they are building that and it looks like they have some dmen coming but at forward, they have NOTHING. That is why in my opinion they go out and sign these AHlers like Callahan, Malone, Ferlin, Downing who are decent AHLers because they need someone to play on their AHL team and they need someone who in an emergency they can call up. Other than Malone, who else can the Oilers call up to play forward? I'd say no one and Malone is a 13th NHL forward at best. I think based on the last couple of drafts, some talent will be turning pro at forward next year and the year after and hopefully a few of them will develop into players in a few years who will be viable call up options. So when they sign Marody (I believe they will) they will have a 21-22 yr old guy who apparently has some skill and based on the scouting reports has a chance to be a decent bottom 6 guy in the NHL. Whether that happens, we shall see but given his age, he should be closer to being that vs a guy they draft next year who's 4 yrs away. So maybe in the near future, instead of calling up a 28 yr old 13th forward in Malone, they can call up this guy to fill a role. Regardless, trading a 3rd round pick on a potential close to making it guy when you have 3 picks in the same round, isn't going to kill them. This team needs to improve NOW not 5 years from now.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712317 is a reply to message #712306 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 22 March 2018 08:35

Look I get you dislike the management but do you seriously think they make the trade without knowing they can sign him?

Honestly yes, yes I do think they would do that.
I am not saying they don't have a chance to sign him but I doubt they know it as a fact.

When anyone here doesnt like a move you instantly make an accusation that we are anti management regardless of the move. Then you try to cast as much sunshine as you can onto whatever deal or move has been made. You seem to be projecting some anger towards anyone who comments on a move by management as if I am calling for a fire bombing of the head office.

I don't for a second think this organization is doing these things just to piss the fans off because they think it's funny. I don't think they are closing their eyes and throwing a dart at the board and say "Let's try him'.

I didn't say that at all. I dont think PC is making moves out of spite or to leave the team in as bad as a place as possible as some middle finger.

Thanks to past management and thinking that guys like Moroz, Musil and a list of others could play, the Oilers have diddly squat in the system right now that are even decent AHLers let alone guys looking to push for NHL spots. Slowly they are building that and it looks like they have some dmen coming but at forward, they have NOTHING. That is why in my opinion they go out and sign these AHlers like Callahan, Malone, Ferlin, Downing who are decent AHLers because they need someone to play on their AHL team and they need someone who in an emergency they can call up. Other than Malone, who else can the Oilers call up to play forward? I'd say no one and Malone is a 13th NHL forward at best. I think based on the last couple of drafts, some talent will be turning pro at forward next year and the year after and hopefully a few of them will develop into players in a few years who will be viable call up options. So when they sign Marody (I believe they will) they will have a 21-22 yr old guy who apparently has some skill and based on the scouting reports has a chance to be a decent bottom 6 guy in the NHL. Whether that happens, we shall see but given his age, he should be closer to being that vs a guy they draft next year who's 4 yrs away. So maybe in the near future, instead of calling up a 28 yr old 13th forward in Malone, they can call up this guy to fill a role. Regardless, trading a 3rd round pick on a potential close to making it guy when you have 3 picks in the same round, isn't going to kill them. This team needs to improve NOW not 5 years from now.

I honestly do hope you are 100% right and I do think that is what PC is hoping for too. I have admitted I am a bit jaded and lacking anymore hope that one of his deals pan out given very few have.

One question for you. If the above is likely, if he is pretty likely so sign, has been improving and likely ready to step in to any kind of NHL role sooner than later why would the Flyers give him up for a 3rd?

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712327 is a reply to message #712317 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 22 March 2018 09:34

Honestly yes, yes I do think they would do that.
I am not saying they don't have a chance to sign him but I doubt they know it as a fact.

When anyone here doesnt like a move you instantly make an accusation that we are anti management regardless of the move. Then you try to cast as much sunshine as you can onto whatever deal or move has been made. You seem to be projecting some anger towards anyone who comments on a move by management as if I am calling for a fire bombing of the head office.

I don't for a second think this organization is doing these things just to piss the fans off because they think it's funny. I don't think they are closing their eyes and throwing a dart at the board and say "Let's try him'.

I didn't say that at all. I dont think PC is making moves out of spite or to leave the team in as bad as a place as possible as some middle finger.

I honestly do hope you are 100% right and I do think that is what PC is hoping for too. I have admitted I am a bit jaded and lacking anymore hope that one of his deals pan out given very few have.

One question for you. If the above is likely, if he is pretty likely so sign, has been improving and likely ready to step in to any kind of NHL role sooner than later why would the Flyers give him up for a 3rd?

To respond to you saying I throw as much sunshine on everything. I have lost count how many times I have said that I get why people are upset with how things have gone. IT has sucked and I am pissed off too. I get that you have very little faith in the management right now. They don't deserve your faith. It might shock you but I am skeptical about the moves they make given their current track record. But I don't live my life where if someone makes a mistake, I write them off forever as being keeping useless. So when they make a move, I like to see what happens first rather than jump right too the conclusion it sucks. I can't see into the future so I don't know that. I won't go into detail on my reasons why I don't automatically think it is a bad move. I have done that to death. All I will say is they had 3 -3rd rounders so giving up 1 3rd round pick for the potential of a guy actually stepping into their system next year I don't deem as being a terrible thing. I am not ready to completely applaud the move but I am at least prepared to wait and see before I grab another pitch fork. What I find frustrating is because I actually like to see moves play out first before I decide they suck or not, I am deemed a Chia lover.

When it comes to the Flyers giving up on him. I have no clue. They drafted him in 2015, maybe the guys that wanted him are gone now. Maybe it was a shift in organization philosophy. Maybe the coach doesn't see a fit. Maybe they have too much of similar players. According to this link. https://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Fut ure/Flyers.htm
If the Flyers resign Mrazek, they have to give up their 3rd rounder in 2019 to the Wings. That would mean they don't have a 3rd rounder so they wanted one and this was the cost to get one. It's been said, teams value draft picks so maybe the amount of teams willing to give on up for him was limited. Given who they have in goal before Mrazek, there is a chance they do it. Maybe the player has looked at the team and told them he won't sign with them for whatever reason.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 March 2018 10:32]

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712328 is a reply to message #712327 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 22 March 2018 10:27

When it comes to the Flyers giving up on him. I have no clue. They drafted him in 2015, maybe the guys that wanted him are gone now. Maybe it was a shift in organization philosophy. Maybe the coach doesn't see a fit. Maybe they have too much of similar players. According to this link. https://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Fut ure/Flyers.htm
If the Flyers resign Mrazek, they have to give up their 3rd rounder in 2019 to the Wings. That would mean they don't have a 3rd rounder. Given who they have in goal before Mrazek, there is a chance they do it. Maybe the player has looked at the team and told them he won't sign with them for whatever reason.

I took out the rest of your quote as you this convo is quickly slipping back into the BS that I am sure annoys most around here so I will move on from that.

To the above. Valid points on the Flyers reasons for moving him.
I hope this works out and Marody contributes to the team sooner than later.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712330 is a reply to message #712327 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

For me the concern is at the end of last season you had a 27 goal scorer on a favourable contract in Maroon. And instead of trading him last offseason, when his value was the highest it probably will ever be, Chiarelli held on to him, made the disastrous Eberle deal, and then only got the 3rd round pick at the deadline. Now that pick is a college player who may become a free agent and go somewhere else. Maroon trade is constantly listed as one of the Chiarelli wins. if the end result is nobody instead of a 27 goal scorer that's bad asset management.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712336 is a reply to message #712330 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 22 March 2018 10:36

For me the concern is at the end of last season you had a 27 goal scorer on a favourable contract in Maroon. And instead of trading him last offseason, when his value was the highest it probably will ever be, Chiarelli held on to him, made the disastrous Eberle deal, and then only got the 3rd round pick at the deadline. Now that pick is a college player who may become a free agent and go somewhere else. Maroon trade is constantly listed as one of the Chiarelli wins. if the end result is nobody instead of a 27 goal scorer that's bad asset management.

In fairness, which NHL team EVER trades a guy coming off a a good season? If they did, fans would go completely bonkers.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712337 is a reply to message #712336 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Our team clearly isn't concerned about fans objecting to trades. The idea that you never ever sell high on a player sounds like bad business to me. But I do agree that Chiarelli doesn't.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712340 is a reply to message #712337 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 22 March 2018 11:19

Our team clearly isn't concerned about fans objecting to trades. The idea that you never ever sell high on a player sounds like bad business to me. But I do agree that Chiarelli doesn't.

That isn't the point. If a player is having a great season, no team is going to dump him. That just isn't the Oilers, that's all teams. The Flames are going to miss the playoffs, there is clearly something wrong with the mix. Other than Gaudreau and Monahan, maybe Tkachuk, there isn't a ton of scoring depth. Gaudreau is going to score close to 90 pts this year. So is value will be sky high. So if the Flames don't trade him, does that make the GM stupid?

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712341 is a reply to message #712340 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 22 March 2018 11:30

That isn't the point. If a player is having a great season, no team is going to dump him. That just isn't the Oilers, that's all teams. The Flames are going to miss the playoffs, there is clearly something wrong with the mix. Other than Gaudreau and Monahan, maybe Tkachuk, there isn't a ton of scoring depth. Gaudreau is going to score close to 90 pts this year. So is value will be sky high. So if the Flames don't trade him, does that make the GM stupid?

Gaudreau isn't 1 year away for being UFA on a team that just signed 12.5MM and 8.5MM deals with with 2 more promising players coming off ELCs next year. Maroon was always going to get moved this year (unless he signed a sweetheart deal in the offseason, which he didn't), so why hang on to him and risk his value declining when you can move him when his value is at an all-time high?

Most often teams won't move a player after a good season, but there are absolutely circumstances when it is appropriate to do so, and although I don't have time to comb through trade histories, I am sure it has, and will continue to, happen.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712342 is a reply to message #712340 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Sorry are you saying that teams never trade good players? PK Subban, Taylor Hall, Seth Jones, Ryan Johansen, Filip Forsberg, Ryan O'Reilly. All those guys weren't good players anymore when they were traded?

Teams trade a good player if they have a surplus at that position to address an area of weakness.

Specific to your Calgary situation, no the Flames shouldn't trade anyone and should continue to just miss the playoffs because it's the only thing that brings me joy anymore.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712344 is a reply to message #712342 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 22 March 2018 12:03

Sorry are you saying that teams never trade good players? PK Subban, Taylor Hall, Seth Jones, Ryan Johansen, Filip Forsberg, Ryan O'Reilly. All those guys weren't good players anymore when they were traded?

Teams trade a good player if they have a surplus at that position to address an area of weakness.

Specific to your Calgary situation, no the Flames shouldn't trade anyone and should continue to just miss the playoffs because it's the only thing that brings me joy anymore.

No, I am saying that teams NEVER trade guys at their peak.

Subban was having an OK year for Montreal but he wasn't as good as he was before he signed his big deal. There were all kinds of rumors that he was a problem in the room, they needed a culture change and he was the odd man out. If Subban was lighting it up the season he was traded and deemed as a core guy, not a chance in hell he would have been traded.

Johansen was having a down year in Columbus the year he was traded. From early on when they drafted him, they had issues with him and issues signing contracts with him. The organization and player didn't get along. Columbus needed a Dman. Jones was a young dman, he was no better than 3rd on their depth chart, probably 4th because they had Josi, Weber, Ellie, Ekholm all on their team.

Filip Forsberg was not even in the NHL, I don't even think he was in North America yet.. All he was, was a prospect at the time and Washington traded him for Erat to load up for a playoff run.

O'Reilly was another guy that had problems with the organization early on with signing contracts. He was up for a new deal. They didn't want to pay him as much as he wanted, so they dumped him for a boat load of players, picks and prospects, most of which did not work out.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712345 is a reply to message #712344 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 22 March 2018 12:18

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 22 March 2018 12:03

No, I am saying that teams NEVER trade guys at their peak.

Subban was having an OK year for Montreal but he wasn't as good as he was before he signed his big deal. There were all kinds of rumors that he was a problem in the room, they needed a culture change and he was the odd man out. If Subban was lighting it up the season he was traded and deemed as a core guy, not a chance in hell he would have been traded.

Johansen was having a down year in Columbus the year he was traded. From early on when they drafted him, they had issues with him and issues signing contracts with him. The organization and player didn't get along. Columbus needed a Dman. Jones was a young dman, he was no better than 3rd on their depth chart, probably 4th because they had Josi, Weber, Ellie, Ekholm all on their team.

Filip Forsberg was not even in the NHL, I don't even think he was in North America yet.. All he was, was a prospect at the time and Washington traded him for Erat to load up for a playoff run.

O'Reilly was another guy that had problems with the organization early on with signing contracts. He was up for a new deal. They didn't want to pay him as much as he wanted, so they dumped him for a boat load of players, picks and prospects, most of which did not work out.

Got it... Problem in the room, okay year, culture change, contract issues, too deep, only a top prospect. Well I guess maroon only fits the contract issues one. and maybe the "too deep" one if we understand Chiarelli's view of the team after the playoffs. Nevermind this is the best possible return. Hope he signs here.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712343 is a reply to message #712340 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 22 March 2018 11:30

There are lots of times when guys having great seasons are dealt. Tampa Bay got Ben Bishop for Cory Conacher when Conacher was scorching hot. The Hossa/Heatley deal came with both players doing well. There are LOTS of examples out there if you care to look. GMs should not be concerned about the fan reactions when making trades. They should make trades that improve their team - and selling when a guy is peaking is one way to do that...especially if you think other people overvalue him given a hot season.

Your argument of Gaudreau isn't relevant here. You shouldn't trade ALL your players who've had a good year. You should assess your needs and what you have and what other people are willing to pay for what you have. At the point where they're paying more than what you think they should, then you consider a deal - although it still can't be done in a bubble. You have to examine what you have and what you need and how it will impact your team. No one ever said the job of a GM was easy.

If you want a good example of this, look at Sam Gagner. His second last season was the lockout-shortened year. He was almost a point a game player and MacTavish talked about him as part of the core (even though he was heading in to an arbitration case). The Oilers were chock full of smaller, young forwards, and Gagner almost certainly had real value after his year under Krueger.

The Oilers inked him to a deal and avoided arbitration, promising the player in the media that he wouldn't be traded ahead of his NMC kicking in.

Then he had a terrible season. His face was destroyed by Kassian in training camp, he rushed back from injury, he had Dallas Eakins as his soul-destroying coach and he slumped to his worst ever season.

The Oilers THEN traded him to Tampa Bay for a guy who was going to get bought out anyhow in Teddy Purcell.

While I realize we have the benefit of hindsight now, when SHOULD have the Oilers traded Sam Gagner? (For the record, I was advocating trading him after that lockout season).

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712347 is a reply to message #712343 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

If you go back and look, i think you'll find that Heatley, Bishop, Conacher etc were all cancers in the dressing room and having contract issues. You only trade players at their lowest value. how else do you get a good shot at a lottery pick?

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712349 is a reply to message #712327 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 22 March 2018 10:27

I am deemed a Chia lover.

I assume you mean chia seeds? Do you find yourself feeling bloated, or has it aided in digestion and improved bowel movements?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712318 is a reply to message #712306 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PoolParty  is currently offline PoolParty

No Cups

The amount of circle jerking this forum does astounds me. Our GM traded away the chance to draft a player that has a 16-23% chance of playing 100 games for the Oilers. In return he got a Hobey Baker Finalist which happens to have a 25% (since 2000) chance of playing 100+ games in the NHL. That's called good asset management to me.

Seems like the lot of people here think a 3rd round pick is gonna get you a 1D or 1st line winger when you add it to a package of garbage. SMH.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 March 2018 09:42]

This forum has turned into a pessimistic cesspool of bitching and whining about the same topics consistently.

#Adam #Kr55 #CrusaderPi #inverno76

#RDOilerfan is possibly reformed, time will tell.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712322 is a reply to message #712318 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

1 Cup

PoolParty wrote on Thu, 22 March 2018 09:35

The amount of circle jerking this forum does astounds me. Our GM traded away the chance to draft a player that has a 16-23% chance of playing 100 games for the Oilers. In return he got a Hobey Baker Finalist which happens to have a 25% (since 2000) chance of playing 100+ games in the NHL. Seems like decent asset management to me.

Seems like the lot of people here think a 3rd round pick is gonna get you a 1D or 1st line winger when you add it to a package of garbage. SMH.

More hyperbole.

All "circle jerking" aside. I think the lengthy discussions on moves such as this are a bi-product of the tire fire of a season that we are almost done with.

My end opinion of this trade is a shoulder shrug but that is more based on my confidence right now than anything.
I have no faith that the team would use that third round pick as a swing in a trade or to draft a decent prospect.
I also have little faith that that the Oilers can sign, develop and have a useful player in Marody.

Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Tyler Benson (and Willy Lagesson) Recalled
Next Topic:Oilers Sign Haas
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca