This day on April 25
None

Happy Birthday To: Scott, kayla_foley

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers Trade for Cooper MarodyPages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712322 is a reply to message #712318 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

PoolParty wrote on Thu, 22 March 2018 09:35

The amount of circle jerking this forum does astounds me. Our GM traded away the chance to draft a player that has a 16-23% chance of playing 100 games for the Oilers. In return he got a Hobey Baker Finalist which happens to have a 25% (since 2000) chance of playing 100+ games in the NHL. Seems like decent asset management to me.

Seems like the lot of people here think a 3rd round pick is gonna get you a 1D or 1st line winger when you add it to a package of garbage. SMH.

More hyperbole.

All "circle jerking" aside. I think the lengthy discussions on moves such as this are a bi-product of the tire fire of a season that we are almost done with.

My end opinion of this trade is a shoulder shrug but that is more based on my confidence right now than anything.
I have no faith that the team would use that third round pick as a swing in a trade or to draft a decent prospect.
I also have little faith that that the Oilers can sign, develop and have a useful player in Marody.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712313 is a reply to message #712300 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 23:16

As I mentioned in my reply to RDOF; having a bunch of picks doesnt mean they should be expendable without a good trade. It doesn't excuse this trade if in fact Marody plans to go back to school and he will be a FA roughly 16 months from now.

The team needs every piece of tradeable ammo it has, they can't go wasting them.

I have low odds that either that third round pick or this player will ever contribute to the Oilers improving anytime in the next 5 years so in the end it isn't a big deal.

I am just tired of what I see as bad asset management.

Ya, I hear what you're saying in that he could potentially be a free agent in a little over a year, but I think the chance that the Oilers aren't able to sign him is pretty low. Justin Schultz is the last guy I can think of that didn't sign with the team that held his rights, and he had a lot more leverage than Marody does. I just don't think there's going to be a bunch of teams starting a bidding war over this kid. Especially since given the Oilers forward depth, if he continues to improve, he'll be pretty high up the Oilers depth chart by the time he finishes his NCAA career.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712314 is a reply to message #712313 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 22 March 2018 09:23

As I mentioned in my reply to RDOF; having a bunch of picks doesnt mean they should be expendable without a good trade. It doesn't excuse this trade if in fact Marody plans to go back to school and he will be a FA roughly 16 months from now.

The team needs every piece of tradeable ammo it has, they can't go wasting them.

I have low odds that either that third round pick or this player will ever contribute to the Oilers improving anytime in the next 5 years so in the end it isn't a big deal.

Ya, I hear what you're saying in that he could potentially be a free agent in a little over a year, but I think the chance that the Oilers aren't able to sign him is pretty low. Justin Schultz is the last guy I can think of that didn't sign with the team that held his rights, and he had a lot more leverage than Marody does. I just don't think there's going to be a bunch of teams starting a bidding war over this kid. Especially since given the Oilers forward depth, if he continues to improve, he'll be pretty high up the Oilers depth chart by the time he finishes his NCAA career.

If he signs with the Oilers, at worst he shows up and is one of the top centers on their AHL team. He's a right handed skilled center. The Oilers don't have any of that on their AHL team now.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712316 is a reply to message #712313 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

That's not accurate. There's guys every year who go this route. Matthew Benning was a Bruins pick who waited out his time and became a free agent. Jimmy Vesey was a Predators pick. There are only a few like Schultz and DeKeyser who get a huge amount of attention, but this is an annual occurrence. If you play out your career at university, then you can become UFA and pick your spot.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712319 is a reply to message #712316 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 22 March 2018 09:32

That's not accurate. There's guys every year who go this route. Matthew Benning was a Bruins pick who waited out his time and became a free agent. Jimmy Vesey was a Predators pick. There are only a few like Schultz and DeKeyser who get a huge amount of attention, but this is an annual occurrence. If you play out your career at university, then you can become UFA and pick your spot.

NJ just got their best offensive D, Will Butcher, this way too, a Colorado draft pick. I can't see how it wouldn't be super attractive to any remotely good college player to just go UFA. Colorado got Kerfoot too, who NJ drafted. Little dose of hope, Kerfoot's college stats look a lot like Marody's :)

[Updated on: Thu, 22 March 2018 09:40]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712320 is a reply to message #712316 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Thu, 22 March 2018 09:32

Vesey is the perfect example that I was about to comment on.
Drafted by Preds
told them he wasnt signing there
Traded to Buff for a 3rd IIRC
Signed in NY as an FA when he didnt want to sign with the Sabres as well.

As with Marody I knew nothing of Vesey before the above saga but he seems to have come out with a much better college resume than Marody.
2 time Hobey Baker finalist, lost to Eichel as a Junior, won in his senior season as one of the major ones.

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712324 is a reply to message #712316 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Thu, 22 March 2018 08:32

I stand corrected. I don't have numbers in front of me, but I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of NCAA players end up signing with the team that drafted them (or owns their rights). There's a risk for sure, especially if Marody has another season where he improves next year. But that's balanced against the fact that they get a guy that's showing good signs, and is 3 years older (and hopefully further along), than anyone they draft in the 3rd round.

I don't hate this move, but I completely agree with ziltoid's point that my preference would have been to use the pick as part of a package to get someone that's actually NHL ready at the draft (and not Griffin Reinhart 'ready').

Oilers Goal Differential

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712346 is a reply to message #712324 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 22 March 2018 09:54

Adam wrote on Thu, 22 March 2018 08:32

I stand corrected. I don't have numbers in front of me, but I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of NCAA players end up signing with the team that drafted them (or owns their rights). There's a risk for sure, especially if Marody has another season where he improves next year. But that's balanced against the fact that they get a guy that's showing good signs, and is 3 years older (and hopefully further along), than anyone they draft in the 3rd round.

I don't hate this move, but I completely agree with ziltoid's point that my preference would have been to use the pick as part of a package to get someone that's actually NHL ready at the draft (and not Griffin Reinhart 'ready').

My concern is that typically, teams don't trade good prospects for picks at the point where they should be signing their first pro contract unless they have a sense that the player isn't going to sign with them. For some reason, the Flyers are willing to move a Hobey Baker finalist for a lottery ticket. I'd suggest that signals an impasse on that end and they've decided they're better off trading the pick than hoping they can talk him in to a contract.

Now, it could be like Riley Nash, where he didn't want to sign with Edmonton, but did with Carolina who we dealt his rights too...or he could be like Vesey, who didn't care that he got traded and still waited to call his own shot.

I think a lot depends on whether the player is going pro or not. If he's playing out next year in the NCAA, this is a huge risk to me. It means we'll have a short opportunity next spring to get him inked or he goes UFA. If he wants to be pro this year and start making money, then maybe he will like our depth chart better than Philly's and it's all good. we will see....

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712348 is a reply to message #712346 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Thu, 22 March 2018 11:23

My concern is that typically, teams don't trade good prospects for picks at the point where they should be signing their first pro contract unless they have a sense that the player isn't going to sign with them. For some reason, the Flyers are willing to move a Hobey Baker finalist for a lottery ticket. I'd suggest that signals an impasse on that end and they've decided they're better off trading the pick than hoping they can talk him in to a contract.

Technically, he's a Hobey Baker nominee, but there's like 75 of them. He didn't make the top 10 -Finalist cut. icon_wink

Oilers Goal Differential

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712350 is a reply to message #712348 ]
Thu, 22 March 2018 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 22 March 2018 12:34

Adam wrote on Thu, 22 March 2018 11:23

Technically, he's a Hobey Baker nominee, but there's like 75 of them. He didn't make the top 10 -Finalist cut. icon_wink

Holy crap, there are like 75 nominees. How does that work? Does every team get to nominate an entire line?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712252 is a reply to message #712247 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SunshinesDad  is currently offline SunshinesDad

No Cups

Another interesting read. Marody's story in his own words.

http://mihockey.com/2017/09/mistory-dream-big-by-cooper-maro dy/

"One day I was watching a documentary about one of my idols on YouTube called, “Inside the Mind of Tom Brady.” I was surprised to learn that Tom Brady’s champion mindset was developed with the help of Harden. The documentary describes in fascinating detail Tom Brady’s challenging path to greatness.However, what resonated with me the most was when Harden said, “My job was to convince Tom Brady that with or without football he was going to be great. And once he seized that, he had no limits. I expected him to be good at everything that he did…everything.”

After hearing that, I was compelled to seek out Greg Harden. From the first meeting I had with Greg, he told me to plant the mindset into my head that, “With or without hockey, you will be great.” He told me to work to be great at everything I did, including hockey, music, school, everything.

So what does this ‘with or without’ mindset really mean? It is certainly not taking away your drive or commitment to being a professional athlete. It is doing the exact opposite. It’s fostering your drive by freeing your mind and encouraging you to avoid putting all of your self-worth into solely being an athlete. It allows the athlete to see that they are a multi-dimensional human being. To be truly successful, it is crucial to focus on not only striving to be a great hockey player, but also striving to be a great man in all aspects of your life. Professional success would mean nothing to me if I were not also a great husband, father, and role model someday.

It all goes back to what my dad preached to me from a young age.

“Be a fine young man that happens to play hockey.” "

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-3PCGZ_c0m91rN7zn75aow

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712255 is a reply to message #712247 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

I thought there were no trades until after the playoffs?

Marody? Is he a parody?

If he thinks he's great, then he must be great? Great right?

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712256 is a reply to message #712255 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 12:00

Teams can trade players that aren't eligible for the NHL playoffs at any time, even between the trade deadline and the end of the playoffs.

Oilers Goal Differential

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712257 is a reply to message #712256 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 13:05

Teams can trade players that aren't eligible for the NHL playoffs at any time, even between the trade deadline and the end of the playoffs.

So if the Oilers make the playoffs this year, Marody can't play in them. Got it.

I couldn't even type that with a straight face.

Anyway, I hope Cooper has a good career and can push the defensemen in Bakersfield when he's ready to go there. One wonders how long he's going to stay playing college hockey.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712258 is a reply to message #712257 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 12:09

So if the Oilers make the playoffs this year, Marody can't play in them. Got it.

Anyway, I hope Cooper has a good career and can push the defensemen in Bakersfield when he's ready to go there. One wonders how long he's going to stay playing college hockey.

Given the forwards the Oilers are icing these days, he could probably walk right onto the NHL roster, so if I was him I would strike while the iron is hot.

Oilers Goal Differential

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712261 is a reply to message #712258 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 13:21

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 12:09

Given the forwards the Oilers are icing these days, he could probably walk right onto the NHL roster, so if I was him I would strike while the iron is hot.

Reading comprehension error from me. When you wrote "right shot centre" my mind glazed over and I retained "right shot defense". He might actually have a shot to make the team if he's a hard worker and doesn't miss practice. Seems like he'd be a lock for the AHL club. Have you seen their stats page? These are the six centers listed as having played this year:

Name GP G A P
Josh Currie 53 21-22=43
Brad Malone 50 13+18=31
Grayson Downing 48 4+19=23
Joe Gambardella 39 8+5=13
Kyle Platzer 35 5+5=10
Chad Butcher 7 1+1=2 

Now, I haven't watched a second of Condors hockey this lifetime, but that's not great production down the middle.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712260 is a reply to message #712257 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerfan79  is currently offline oilerfan79

No Cups

I would hope trading a 3rd pick next year for just his rights means that he'll be signing soon but you never know with Chia. He better get him to put pen to paper though otherwise I would have to think Philly loves the idea of using our 3rd round pick then signing him in August next year.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712259 is a reply to message #712256 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SunshinesDad  is currently offline SunshinesDad

No Cups

From what I understand any team can trade for any player after the deadline but that player will just be unable to play in the playoffs that year. So technically we could negotiate a trade for Stamkos right now but obviously a team that is going to the playoffs wouldn't trade someone now.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-3PCGZ_c0m91rN7zn75aow

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712262 is a reply to message #712255 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 13:00

Marody? Is he a parody?

If he thinks he's great, then he must be great? Great right?

I think you're like me when an new Oilers player gets picked up you try and see what Gene Principe gets to work with.

I heard he did a Ty Rat Tea pun last night, I missed it, can anyone confirm?

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712263 is a reply to message #712247 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

This guy could be our next Drake Caggiula!

Slot this man on the wing in the big leagues right away! The great thing about these guys is that they don't need ANY AHL time. Perfectly ready for a lifetime of 20 point seasons.

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712282 is a reply to message #712263 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 13:40

This guy could be our next Drake Caggiula!

Slot this man on the wing in the big leagues right away! The great thing about these guys is that they don't need ANY AHL time. Perfectly ready for a lifetime of 20 point seasons.

Joking aside, college free agents are a great way to add cheap forward depth. You won't get a lot of undrafted guys who will be stars, but if you want to use ELCs to cheaply fill out your bottom line or two and not have $2M wingers like Kassian or $6M wingers like Lucic on them, you could probably turn them over regularly and often with good college scouting.

I like the deal. Unlike Dudek, this is a real prospect. For sure not a guarantee, but his numbers and development suggest he at least has a shot at playing in the NHL.

Bakersfield looking at Yamamoto, Marody, Vesel, Benson, and Hebig as right hand shot additions next year. That's likely a huge improvement over what they have there right now. Possibly Rattie, Aberg, and Pakarinen as depth right shots as well, either in Edmonton or Bakersfield.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712289 is a reply to message #712282 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 17:14

Bakersfield looking at Yamamoto, Marody, Vesel, Benson, and Hebig as right hand shot additions next year. That's likely a huge improvement over what they have there right now. Possibly Rattie, Aberg, and Pakarinen as depth right shots as well, either in Edmonton or Bakersfield.

Typical Oilers pendulum swing. We realize that everyone on the team shoots left, so we immediately pivot to only sign for or trade for right shots. Hopefully this is just an anomaly and not the braintrust overvaluing people simply because they shoot right...

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712290 is a reply to message #712289 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 18:09

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 17:14

Typical Oilers pendulum swing. We realize that everyone on the team shoots left, so we immediately pivot to only sign for or trade for right shots. Hopefully this is just an anomaly and not the braintrust overvaluing people simply because they shoot right...

I shoot right so let's wait until after I get my pro contract, okay?

Tbh, I think everyone of those guys listed is a decent prospect and a fine add. The Oilers did have an imbalance, so as long as it isn't the primary objective and skill is being substituted for shot, I don't mind seeing it even out a little. We will see if it is an unhealthy obsession soon enough.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712264 is a reply to message #712247 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

So, which OBC relative is our guy in charge of the college scouting? We are hardcore into college players now.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712283 is a reply to message #712264 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 21 March 2018 14:04

So, which OBC relative is our guy in charge of the college scouting? We are hardcore into college players now.

I like it. I think teams should have a few contracts reserved each year to sign college free agents. Their growth curve and development is a little clearer and more defined. I would expect they have a shot of success similar to any mid-draft pick a team would sign to an ELC.

There's a few guys I'd like the Oilers to consider signing this year... granted my NCAA knowledge is small, based on boxscores and scouting reports, but these guys sound like guys the Oilers could use in their system:

Cale Morris (G)
Daniel Brickley (D)
Jimmy Schuldt (D)
Alec Rauhauser (D)
Grant Hutton (D)
Dylan McLaughlin (C)
Tyler Sheehy (C)
Ryan Kuffner (LW)
Max Veronneau (RW)

Especially Cale Morris. They need a good goalie prospect and his numbers in his freshman year at Notre Dame are unreal. A Hobey Baker finalist.

[Updated on: Wed, 21 March 2018 17:35]

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712297 is a reply to message #712247 ]
Wed, 21 March 2018 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Is Cooper an English major?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712548 is a reply to message #712247 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Ok, I'm trying to figure this out.

In this article in the Edmonton Sun, Jim Matheson says that Marody could just quit school right now, the Oilers would then have a 30 day window to sign him but if that window lapses, he would become UFA.

http://edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/coo per-marody-ahead-of-other-edmonton-oilers-prospects

I would tend to believe Jim, he's been doing this forever and he's in the HHOF, however, I don't think he's right on this one.

He seems to believe that just because Marody played in the USHL, he can leave early, but I think that rule only applies to player who plays their first college eligible year outside of college.

I believe this is the rule applies to Marody.

Article 8.6 (c)
(iii) If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19, who had received a Bona Fide Offer in accordance with Section 8.6(a)(ii) above, becomes a bona fide college student prior to the second June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft and remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive rights of negotiation for his services through and including the August 15 following the graduation of his college class.

Which means the Oilers would still retain his rights until next summer.

Again, I'm just a shmuck who thinks he can read legalese, so I might be wrong.

Matheson also states that Keith Gretzky was the one scouting Marody. He also states the Oilers pretty much wouldn't have done this trade without a virtual guarantee of being able to sign him.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712562 is a reply to message #712548 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 01:25

In this article in the Edmonton Sun, Jim Matheson says that Marody could just quit school right now, the Oilers would then have a 30 day window to sign him but if that window lapses, he would become UFA.

http://edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/coo per-marody-ahead-of-other-edmonton-oilers-prospects

I would tend to believe Jim, he's been doing this forever and he's in the HHOF, however, I don't think he's right on this one.

He seems to believe that just because Marody played in the USHL, he can leave early, but I think that rule only applies to player who plays their first college eligible year outside of college.

Article 8.6 (c)
(iii) If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19, who had received a Bona Fide Offer in accordance with Section 8.6(a)(ii) above, becomes a bona fide college student prior to the second June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft and remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive rights of negotiation for his services through and including the August 15 following the graduation of his college class.

Matheson also states that Keith Gretzky was the one scouting Marody. He also states the Oilers pretty much wouldn't have done this trade without a virtual guarantee of being able to sign him.

I have said it a few times. I know the Oilers management have made some mistakes but I don't see a scenario where they would trade for this guy if they didn't have a really good idea they could sign him. I would expect that once this kid is done in the College playoffs, he will be signed.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712581 is a reply to message #712548 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 01:25

Article 8.6 (c)

edit: misread your point.

Does seem we keep his rights no matter what. But, since we love using contract spots, this kid is probably on an ELC very soon.

[Updated on: Tue, 27 March 2018 10:12]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #712583 is a reply to message #712581 ]
Tue, 27 March 2018 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 27 March 2018 09:09

Pretty sure you're right. The rights stay if he stays in school. But, kid seems to be at least nipping at Spencer Foo level, so he probably knows he can get an NHL deal and doesn't need any more of that dumb education stuff.

Ya, that's kind of the key. If he thinks he could crack the NHL lineup (and given the Oilers forward depth, nothing is impossible), then he likely comes out a year early. If not, he goes back for his senior year.

My guess is that even on the Oilers, he's not going to be guaranteed a spot on the roster, so he goes back to school for a year. I'd be pretty surprised if the Oilers offered him a one-way deal, so then he's got to balance the risk of leaving school a year early to make $50k in Bakersfield.

Oilers Goal Differential

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #713096 is a reply to message #712247 ]
Fri, 06 April 2018 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Eliminated from the Frozen Four tonight. 5 points in 3 games in the actual tournament (3 in the opening game, 1 each in the others).

I'm wondering if he isn't signed by the Oilers tomorrow and given a spot in the lineup Saturday. That is traditionally what happens with non-playoff teams that sign players who don't graduate. Just a little taste and a reward for choosing the team over staying in school.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #713103 is a reply to message #712247 ]
Fri, 06 April 2018 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Recent interview with Marody before Frozen 4.. ...
https://www.livingstondaily.com/story/sports/2018/04/03/coop er-marody-michigan-wolverines-hockey/468002002/

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #713166 is a reply to message #713103 ]
Sun, 08 April 2018 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

According to what is posted in this article on Lowtides site, Marody is expected to sign with the Oilers soon.
http://lowetide.ca/2018/04/08/peace-frog/

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #713169 is a reply to message #713166 ]
Sun, 08 April 2018 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Sun, 08 April 2018 08:16

According to what is posted in this article on Lowtides site, Marody is expected to sign with the Oilers soon.

Didn't see an article online yet, but my Facebook feed says he's now signed:

Edmonton Oilers
20 mins ·
The #Oilers have signed Cooper Marody to a three-year entry-level contract. The 21-year-old forward, whose rights were acquired from the Philadelphia Flyers on March 21, led Michigan Hockey with 51 points (16 goals, 35 assists) in 40 games this season.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #713173 is a reply to message #713169 ]
Sun, 08 April 2018 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

MJ wrote on Sun, 08 April 2018 11:26

RDOilerfan wrote on Sun, 08 April 2018 08:16

Didn't see an article online yet, but my Facebook feed says he's now signed:

Edmonton Oilers
20 mins ·
The #Oilers have signed Cooper Marody to a three-year entry-level contract. The 21-year-old forward, whose rights were acquired from the Philadelphia Flyers on March 21, led Michigan Hockey with 51 points (16 goals, 35 assists) in 40 games this season.

Should be good for depth, hopefully performs well in Bakersfield.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #713174 is a reply to message #713173 ]
Sun, 08 April 2018 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-sign-marody-t o-entry-level-contract/c-297808480?tid=281885062

Official release from the Oilers. It didn't say if he was going to Bakersfield but I would guess he will. The Oilers don't have a lot of young forwards in the system. Hopefully he can develop into something. With a few of these college signings and some of their draft picks turning pro. Hopefully their will be a change in the AHL philosophy of playing young guys vs older AHL vets.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #713189 is a reply to message #713174 ]
Sun, 08 April 2018 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Sun, 08 April 2018 12:00

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-sign-marody-t o-entry-level-contract/c-297808480?tid=281885062

Official release from the Oilers. It didn't say if he was going to Bakersfield but I would guess he will. The Oilers don't have a lot of young forwards in the system. Hopefully he can develop into something. With a few of these college signings and some of their draft picks turning pro. Hopefully their will be a change in the AHL philosophy of playing young guys vs older AHL vets.

Good news. I was a little worried after reading the interview Skookum posted. Specifically this quote;

“It would be amazing, especially with me growing up and idolizing Michigan and wanting to be here so bad,” Marody said. “It would be something I’ve always dreamed about, never really knowing if I could accomplish it as a young kid. It’s something I’ve worked for my whole life. You’re going to see a really inspired Cooper Marody at the Frozen Four.”

I didnt realize his connection to the team. I was concerned he would have an unfinished business type reason to go back for another year.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #713195 is a reply to message #713189 ]
Mon, 09 April 2018 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I said it when the trade was made. In my opinion, I didn't see the Oilers making the trade unless they had an extremely good indication he would sign with them once he physically could. Michigan lost out of the frozen 4 Thursday night and the Oilers are announcing the signing Sunday Morning.

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #713198 is a reply to message #713195 ]
Mon, 09 April 2018 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Just heard on Oilersnow, that Marody is going down to Bakersfield. Here is the official release from the Oilers.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-marody-assigned-to-bake rsfield/c-297831898?tid=281885062

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #713203 is a reply to message #713198 ]
Mon, 09 April 2018 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 09 April 2018 13:00

Just heard on Oilersnow, that Marody is going down to Bakersfield. Here is the official release from the Oilers.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-marody-assigned-to-bake rsfield/c-297831898?tid=281885062

Cool beans, he’ll get a few games in this season

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers Trade for Cooper Marody [message #713206 is a reply to message #713203 ]
Mon, 09 April 2018 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

With Marody who's supposed to be an fast offensive guy. Benson turning pro who's an offensive guy.
Hebig is was a big time junior scorer. IN theory, there should be some offensive talent starting next year in Bakersfield. Those offensive guys need to translate the offensive ability to the pros but hopefully the AHL team will be able count on Oilers prospects making up the team rather than AHL vets.

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Tyler Benson (and Willy Lagesson) Recalled
Next Topic:Oilers Sign Haas
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca