This day on January 21
Acquired: Brian Glynn (1992)
Departed: David Shaw (1992)

Happy Birthday To: oilersfan79, infatty, Kwaku, Goodtimes, a caring fan, wgoodbye, oilerman11, Edmoilers, O1L3R5!

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #42)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #42) [message #706607]
Sat, 06 January 2018 15:20 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
Congratulations to: okoilerguy for predicting the score.

Edmonton to win: 60%
Dallas to win: 40%
35 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #42) [message #706609 is a reply to message #706607 ]
Sat, 06 January 2018 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

So, in the last four games with the season on the line, the Oilers are 1-3, with 16GA, and 2GF.

I think we may struggle to be in that group of teams fighting for the last playoff spot...If only MacT had warned us this was another development season...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #42) [message #706610 is a reply to message #706607 ]
Sat, 06 January 2018 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

It's like watching the same horror movie over and over again watching this team. I've no physical connection to Edmonton, I've no reason to cheer for this team other than they won when I saw my first NHL game back in the 80's. I could change my team, but after near enough 30 years it would be so difficult.

Trying to find anything to say about this one. I guess the one thing that I'm trying to use is that they got the luck of the bounce of the puck all game. I can't recall one instance when the puck bounced off a skate and fell straight to us, or towards the Stars goal. Not that we played well enough to actually win, but it would be nice to get a bit of luck during the game.

On to the next time I watch this horror movie.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #42) [message #706611 is a reply to message #706607 ]
Sat, 06 January 2018 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Not an effort that would have expected from a team in a battle for their season. We've seen this about 20 times this season, however.

Frigging brutal. Changes are coming, but I haven't seen PC make many deals that he's won. There's nothing to be done that's going to win 70% of the remaining games to get a sniff. Season is a failure from management to coaching staff, to players....they all wear it. The group to a man, including the superstar and those paid to be stars are not looking like they really give a damn, when it comes down to it...repeated checks for a pulse show nothing. It's over.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #42) [message #706614 is a reply to message #706607 ]
Sat, 06 January 2018 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Average talent level isn't there, too many holes. Why can't the Oilers ever develop a prospect that isn't a top 10? Overall D speed is an issue IMHO.

Next year folks. I'l still watch just to see McD.

There is a distinct bias in the league now for referees and what level of infraction is required to call a penalty when its on McD. Hamhuis had him steer wrestled to the ground on the one play, face pushed in the ice, and there was no call, not until he finally got pissed off and stood up for himself, then HE gets a call as well. If I was a GM, Coach, Owner, I'd be in the media EVERY game calling it out until it changed, put the refs (and NHL) under media and public scrutiny, right now the refs just fade away after every game unencumbered by a single discouraging word.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #42) [message #706615 is a reply to message #706607 ]
Sat, 06 January 2018 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

My wife asked me during this one how things can always go this way for the Oilers. Why are they perpetually bad, no matter who they have on the team?

I still think culture in this organization is ridiculously bad, and that it is a constant issue.

- failure has been rewarded so many times with the old management team that is still there, still around the team, still involved in making hockey decisions. They've demonstrated incompetence, and not only are they not gone from the organization, they still have a seat at the table. It hurts both because their input is likely poor (their track records suggest they're not great at making hockey decisions) but also because everyone can see that it doesn't matter how many times you fail at the executive level of this hockey team, just so long as you're part of the group.

- nepotism runs rampant in the organization. Maybe Chiarelli's brother and Messier's brother are really great scouts, maybe Keegan Lowe is a tremendous leader and example for the kids on the farm, but when there's so much of the nepotism with friends, family and Oil Kings people hired, it sticks out like a sore thumb. That's always cultural poison if those people aren't exceptionally good at their jobs.

- incompetence is rife in the organization and everyone must be aware of that. If McDavid and his camp really had to tell Chiarelli they were going to take less, without him specifically asking for it as the Oilers themselves said this summer, then it must have been a red flag to McDavid and his representatives. Yes - McDavid was ultimately going to get whatever he wanted, but it was always up to the GM to sell him on the vision and explain why he was going to need to take less.

The players can't be blind either to the fact that Eberle for Strome was a terrible straight up trade, or that the team never used any of the cap space that it afforded them. The Oilers have the 6th smallest overall cap hit this year of any team in the league according to CapFriendly - and that's after adding Montoya who moved them up slightly and it includes paying over $2MM to Pouliot and Korpikoski.

- the failure to use McDavid's discount to extract any kind of discount out of any one else has to be seen as a kick in the nuts to the best player on the team. He supposedly offered up money to the team, and yet everyone else they signed - Draisaitl, Russell, Gryba - got absolute max term and dollars from the team. It sets a horrible precedent going in to this summer, with some key deals to get negotiated and without the warm feelings that accompany a playoff run. I do wonder if McDavid wasn't at all irritated by Draisaitl pushing for as much as he could, and the team agreeing to that after he left money on the table. It once again illustrates incompetence in management, and it doesn't show a great deal of team-first attitude by those who pushed for those deals.

- finger-pointing at all levels. Chiarelli, McLellan, everyone on the Oilers other than players seems always happy to direct the blame towards someone else. There's exceptionally little ownership of it at management level, and certainly the management and coaches have provided no cover for the players this year. You even see it seep in to the dressing room from time to time, with Lucic slamming the PK (which he's not on) after the loss to Los Angeles (never mind that no one scored a goal that night...)

The Oilers are dysfunctional from top to bottom. I don't think Dahlin is going to change that either...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #42) [message #706617 is a reply to message #706615 ]
Sat, 06 January 2018 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

Gotta add #firewoodcroft to your signature.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #42) [message #706618 is a reply to message #706617 ]
Sat, 06 January 2018 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh  is currently offline Babaganoosh

No Cups

Fire the lot of em' would suffice. Old Baba tried to warn you. This team wasn't what it seemed.

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #42) [message #706622 is a reply to message #706618 ]
Sat, 06 January 2018 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Sat, 06 January 2018 16:20

Fire the lot of em' would suffice. Old Baba tried to warn you. This team wasn't what it seemed.

Fire: http://oilers.ice.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=33068

Can Montoya request to be waived?

(edit: added question)

[Updated on: Sat, 06 January 2018 16:49]

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #42) [message #706619 is a reply to message #706617 ]
Sat, 06 January 2018 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

1 Cup

Its sad. I quit watching a few games ago. I didn't watch this one and can see it was a wise decision despite missing one win. Chiarelli seems scared to make moves to me. He has been that way since he got here. Seems he is worried Lowe and MacT won't approve in the back ground. McDavid wasn't someone he went out and acquired or anything. Getting 5 large slow clones doesn't improve a team. D has been an issue on this team for years and other than Larsson.....and a few patch work players. Waiting for Nurse to develop seems to be the plan. Sorta like giving McDavid the puck and crossing one's fingers is their offensive plan. Hope the team crashes and burns in some ways. Wish instead of Katz it was a billionaire that cared about the future not the past.

I really enjoy watching Vegas play. No nepotism. Not some goofy owner trying to relive the glory days from 35 years ago giving a bunch of incompetent cronies jobs. Pure joy to watch a team that excels at takeaways vs giveaways.

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #42) [message #706620 is a reply to message #706607 ]
Sat, 06 January 2018 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

McLellan's post game, you'd swear it was just like any other loss. Players made mistakes, and we move along to the next one.

Those last few losses look like a team that knows the season is over. Pride kicked in against the Ducks, but back to the same old against Dallas.

Falling for Dahlin

[Updated on: Sat, 06 January 2018 16:41]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #42) [message #706621 is a reply to message #706620 ]
Sat, 06 January 2018 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

Bleed for the Swede

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #42) [message #706623 is a reply to message #706607 ]
Sat, 06 January 2018 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

It's OK to mail it in at the beer league level when all hope is lost and the cold ones are waiting in the dressing room but.... honest NHL fans are over paying to watch this crappy overpaid team, year after year. As far as I'm concerned it all hangs on the people at the top, wasting how many is it now, I've lost count, first round picks in the process with oil change after oil change.( lots of dirty oil apparently) It's a joke! How you fix it I don't know but I do know that other teams around the league are a lot better at it than the Oilers.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #42) [message #706628 is a reply to message #706623 ]
Sat, 06 January 2018 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

5 Cups

Nick Kypreos just said firings aren't imminent, but there are rumblings....

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #42) [message #706630 is a reply to message #706628 ]
Sat, 06 January 2018 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sat, 06 January 2018 19:10

Ah, that nicholson and gretz shot. I thought they were laughing it up, but they only smiled after gretz was put on the big screen in the arena. They didn’t look too happy before that hehe.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #42) [message #706642 is a reply to message #706628 ]
Sun, 07 January 2018 07:52 Go to previous message
ChasinStanley  is currently offline ChasinStanley

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Sat, 06 January 2018 19:10

They cannot fire anyone until they create some fantasy position to promote them to. Relieving someone of their duties without a promotion would suggest the person who hired them didn’t know what they were doing and that’s not how we do things in Oil Country.

Renaissance 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #42) [message #706639 is a reply to message #706607 ]
Sun, 07 January 2018 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales Cooper  is currently offline Ales Cooper

1 Cup

OilFans wrote on Sat, 06 January 2018 15:20

Even the bot can’t be bothered to do its job. Oils 5,Stars 1?
icon_lol

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #42) [message #706641 is a reply to message #706607 ]
Sun, 07 January 2018 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChasinStanley  is currently offline ChasinStanley

1 Cup

I feel like I called this one
ChasinStanley wrote on Sat, 06 January 2018 11:05

An afternoon game in Dallas, having hope of anything resembling an effort would be a big leap of faith last season, this season I’ll be surprised if 1/2 the team even manage to put their equipment on in the right order.

Renaissance 2015

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #43)
Next Topic:Montoya traded to Oilers for a conditional 4th
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca