This day on October 19
Acquired: Dave Donnelly (1987)

Happy Birthday To: blacksheep, LoyalOil, SSTk, Vigo, still94

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap?Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705563]
Sun, 17 December 2017 01:30 Go to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

So, the HNIC guys (Kypreos) speculated that the Oilers and Senators might have already discussed a deal to bring Mike Hoffman to the Oilers. Apparently, the Sens are having money issues and the owner would like them to trim payroll.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/senators-consider-drastic -roster-changes-miss-playoffs/

This one leaves me baffled. The Oilers moved Eberle (a comparable player) and got middling return. We were told most of the reasoning behind the trade was that he was making too much money. So you turn around and immediately make a trade for somebody making almost as much?

I'm guessing the cost will be more than what they got for Eberle, and it sounds like the Sens want prospects and picks back. Eberle also plays a position they actually need, Hoffman is LW of which the Oilers already have too many. Would they actually give up significant future pieces for an expensive forward 6 months after they moved a forward out for being too expensive?

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705568 is a reply to message #705563 ]
Sun, 17 December 2017 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sun, 17 December 2017 01:30

So, the HNIC guys (Kypreos) speculated that the Oilers and Senators might have already discussed a deal to bring Mike Hoffman to the Oilers. Apparently, the Sens are having money issues and the owner would like them to trim payroll.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/senators-consider-drastic -roster-changes-miss-playoffs/

This one leaves me baffled. The Oilers moved Eberle (a comparable player) and got middling return. We were told most of the reasoning behind the trade was that he was making too much money. So you turn around and immediately make a trade for somebody making almost as much?

I'm guessing the cost will be more than what they got for Eberle, and it sounds like the Sens want prospects and picks back. Eberle also plays a position they actually need, Hoffman is LW of which the Oilers already have too many. Would they actually give up significant future pieces for an expensive forward 6 months after they moved a forward out for being too expensive?

Probably roots from our desperation for a good shooter, especially on the PP. Hoffman has a rocket, and a great 1-timer. Definitely agree about his price tag though. With his performance so far this year, I think he's pretty pricey. He's also a zero contact floater type of player, so if he is struggling to score, he will be Eberle 2.0 in the eyes of fans.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705572 is a reply to message #705568 ]
Sun, 17 December 2017 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh  is currently offline Babaganoosh

1 Cup

I still can't believe we traded Eberle for that steaming load. Based on his WJHC history alone you know he is a player that relishes pressure spots. I can see him scoring a cup winner for the Islanders.

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705573 is a reply to message #705572 ]
Sun, 17 December 2017 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Sun, 17 December 2017 16:08

I still can't believe we traded Eberle for that steaming load. Based on his WJHC history alone you know he is a player that relishes pressure spots. I can see him scoring a cup winner for the Islanders.

Oh yeah, the relish was just oozing out of him during those 2 playoffs rounds last summer icon_wink

Let's not pretend WJHC from 10 years ago has any more relevance now. That's kids hockey with no one playing defence.

He's NYI's 5th best forward, and rocking an unsustainable shooting %. We definitely lost the trade, but Ebs is pretty much the same guy we saw for the last few years. Just a good run of luck to start the year, and probably pushed a bit with the power of spite.

THe real boost for the Islanders this year is JT looking at McDavid's contract and realizing he can be a 12M man next summer.

[Updated on: Sun, 17 December 2017 18:48]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #708624 is a reply to message #705572 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

I honestly can’t tell if this is sarcasm or not confused2

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #708625 is a reply to message #708624 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

philly boy wrote on Tue, 06 February 2018 21:10

It's fun that the Islanders are right on the edge of cap hell and might not even make the playoffs this year with their loaded offence.

Forgot about the D. Although I'm not sure if Dougie actually cares about D. Ebs is in heaven this year getting to just free wheel without a care in the world about his own end. And Barzal is happy to carry the play for him all night.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #708626 is a reply to message #708625 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 06 February 2018 21:23

It's fun that the Islanders are right on the edge of cap hell and might not even make the playoffs this year with their loaded offence.

Forgot about the D. Although I'm not sure if Dougie actually cares about D. Ebs is in heaven this year getting to just free wheel without a care in the world about his own end. And Barzal is happy to carry the play for him all night.

Pfffft....Barzal. I would have chosen Erickson-Ek over him anyhow.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #708629 is a reply to message #708626 ]
Tue, 06 February 2018 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 06 February 2018 21:27

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 06 February 2018 21:23

Pfffft....Barzal. I would have chosen Erickson-Ek over him anyhow.

It's not like this team needed any right handed skill player that skate like the wind or anything back in the summer of 2015. One Letestu is plenty.

And there is no way we should have picked a right handed sniper guy with great chemistry with our new future of the franchise too with a 2nd round pick. This org does believe in acting on hunches and coincidences, but seems it only applies to bathroom encounters for MacT and Oil Kings players.

[Updated on: Tue, 06 February 2018 21:45]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705579 is a reply to message #705563 ]
Sun, 17 December 2017 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Tracy Lane‏ @TreenasOil
Oilers close to a trade moves coming.....APG

Tracy has spoken!

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705589 is a reply to message #705579 ]
Mon, 18 December 2017 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

Hearing it is Hoffman & Condon, an AHL player (for contract purposes) coming our way.

Hearing Strome, Benning & Brossoit, plus a pick (i would guess a 2nd) are the main pieces going the other way.

Heard this from a scout and GM in WHL.

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705592 is a reply to message #705589 ]
Mon, 18 December 2017 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jakey wrote on Mon, 18 December 2017 08:46

Hearing it is Hoffman & Condon, an AHL player (for contract purposes) coming our way.

Hearing Strome, Benning & Brossoit, plus a pick (i would guess a 2nd) are the main pieces going the other way.

Interesting move if that's how it works. Sucks to give Benning up, but Ottawa has to get at least 1 young cheap guy with good potential.

Gotta think that is the end of Maroon here. Wonder if we can sell "high" on Maroon and somehow get a decent RHD (probably just 3rd pairing) to replace Benning.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705594 is a reply to message #705592 ]
Mon, 18 December 2017 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 18 December 2017 09:18

Interesting move if that's how it works. Sucks to give Benning up, but Ottawa has to get at least 1 young cheap guy with good potential.

Gotta think that is the end of Maroon here. Wonder if we can sell "high" on Maroon and somehow get a decent RHD (probably just 3rd pairing) to replace Benning.

I still look at Alex Petrovic as a guy who could probably be had for cheap and really contribute. Doubt FLA has any interest in Maroon though.

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705595 is a reply to message #705592 ]
Mon, 18 December 2017 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 18 December 2017 09:18

Seems like a lot of cash to bring in, still doesn't address the RH side. Funny to trade Eberle for Strome then ship him out for someone that costs almost as much as him in a position that we have lots of already. Probably no intention then of signing Maroon. Also is Condon any better then Brossoit?

In Full year cap hits:
$5.188+$2.4+X=$7.588

Out is:
$2.5+$1.075+$.750=$4.325M

Losing $3.26M cap

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705593 is a reply to message #705589 ]
Mon, 18 December 2017 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Makes sense, given needs of the Oilers and players to be moved. I do expect a defenseman moved to open a space for Sekera.

But man, I don't love Benning being the one to go. If you consider Gryba to be AHL-bound, that leaves one RH shot on Oilers defense. Add in that Benning is one of the better puck movers in a group that really lacks that, and he isn't the one I'd most like to move. It really contributes to an unbalanced group. (Makes you wonder if he'd be in trade talks at all without Kris Russell and his NTC).

Also, if Hoffman is Eberle 2.0, it means that to get an Eberle-type back, we are essentially giving up Benning as well. That's a fair return, but absolutely the type of return the Oilers should have demanded in the summer (think Del Colle and Strome).

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705596 is a reply to message #705593 ]
Mon, 18 December 2017 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 18 December 2017 09:21

Makes sense, given needs of the Oilers and players to be moved. I do expect a defenseman moved to open a space for Sekera.

But man, I don't love Benning being the one to go. If you consider Gryba to be AHL-bound, that leaves one RH shot on Oilers defense. Add in that Benning is one of the better puck movers in a group that really lacks that, and he isn't the one I'd most like to move. It really contributes to an unbalanced group. (Makes you wonder if he'd be in trade talks at all without Kris Russell and his NTC).

Also, if Hoffman is Eberle 2.0, it means that to get an Eberle-type back, we are essentially giving up Benning as well. That's a fair return, but absolutely the type of return the Oilers should have demanded in the summer (think Del Colle and Strome).

I am licking my chops a bit at the idea of a Hoffman-McDavid-Pulju line. Hoffman is more of a long range shooter than Eberle. The guy can full windup blast it from anywhere very quickly while Eberle likes to sneak his way in close and get a wrister or backhand off. Pulju can hammer the puck from anywhere too. Imagine we would be looking at something like Tampa's top line with multiple high end long range snipers.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 December 2017 09:37]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705599 is a reply to message #705596 ]
Mon, 18 December 2017 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 18 December 2017 09:35

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 18 December 2017 09:21

I am licking my chops a bit at the idea of a Hoffman-McDavid-Pulju line. Hoffman is more of a long range shooter than Eberle. The guy can full windup blast it from anywhere very quickly while Eberle likes to sneak his way in close and get a wrister or backhand off. Pulju can hammer the puck from anywhere too. Imagine we would be looking at something like Tampa's top line with multiple high end long range snipers.

I agree with you. Hoffman is a different player than Eberle. Like you said, he is way more of a long ranger shooter than Eberle plus Hoffman shoots way more. in 31 games, Hoffman has 109 shots. so 3.5 per game. Eberle in 33 games has 71 shots, so barely over 2 shots a game. For a goal scorer , I never understood why Eberle didn't shoot more. Plus Eberle drove me nuts with his unwillingness to shoot quickly as an Oiler and how often he would pass up great scoring chances to dangle. What Hoffman would definitely bring is a lot more speed than Eberle as I think the Oilers need more speed on the wings.

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705597 is a reply to message #705589 ]
Mon, 18 December 2017 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

If that trade actually happened, that would be a very interesting trade. Condon would be a clear upgrade on the back up. A bit on the expensive side but he's has proven on multiple teams that he can come in, give you quality back up play and even push your starter. Hoffman would replace Maroon who I don't see them bringing back. As much as I like Maroon, he looks to be a product of McDavid and I think some team will throw 4+ mill at him and that is WAY too much. Plus with Lucic here, I think you need someone with more speed in your top 6 and Hoffman would bring that. Brossoit is still just so much of a mystery. At times he can look good but you can't trust him. Strome is a top 9 forward who should be a top 6 but for whatever reason can't do it. I like Benning, I would hate to see him go but he's a 3rd pairing dman. That isn't meant as a knock because I think he is a good 3rd pairing guy. I thought maybe he had a chance to be a #4 but I don't see it.

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705602 is a reply to message #705563 ]
Mon, 18 December 2017 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Hoffman's goals from last year for anyone interested

Almost all are 1-timers.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 December 2017 10:35]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705603 is a reply to message #705602 ]
Mon, 18 December 2017 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

This trade is a clear demonstration of seller's remorse. At least management can see that they effed up. That's a start, right?

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705604 is a reply to message #705603 ]
Mon, 18 December 2017 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 18 December 2017 10:42

This trade is a clear demonstration of seller's remorse. At least management can see that they effed up. That's a start, right?

Funny part is that Strome is playing for us exactly like he always has. Can probably watch any video of a Strome game from the last few years and he would look exactly the same as he does in an Oilers jersey.

Any pro scouts fired lately?

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705605 is a reply to message #705604 ]
Mon, 18 December 2017 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 18 December 2017 10:53

Funny part is that Strome is playing for us exactly like he always has. Can probably watch any video of a Strome game from the last few years and he would look exactly the same as he does in an Oilers jersey.

They did their job, they scouted the cap savings!

Win!

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705610 is a reply to message #705605 ]
Mon, 18 December 2017 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 18 December 2017 10:59

Win!

Let's all hope that Ottawa values unused cap space as much as we did last summer :)

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705618 is a reply to message #705610 ]
Mon, 18 December 2017 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 18 December 2017 12:43

Magnum wrote on Mon, 18 December 2017 10:59

Win!

Let's all hope that Ottawa values unused cap space as much as we did last summer :)

I really want someone to do the math on that one, extra cap space = X.

Right now the goal differential is in favor of Eberle by 9, so $3,500,000 in cap space is worth 22 goals! Based on an extrapolated full year.

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705623 is a reply to message #705604 ]
Mon, 18 December 2017 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 18 December 2017 09:53

Hey, Christmas is coming!!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705607 is a reply to message #705603 ]
Mon, 18 December 2017 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

I mean I'd rather them not much dumb decisions in the first place but at least they've learnt to cut their losses rather than keep hammering a square peg due to pride/ego/stubbornness.

Death by a Thousand Cuts

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705606 is a reply to message #705602 ]
Mon, 18 December 2017 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 18 December 2017 10:32

Hoffman's goals from last year for anyone interested

Almost all are 1-timers.

I like how the first goal in this video is against us followed by the announcer saying "and Hoffman's off the schneid" typical icon_rolleyes

The guy can shoot it that's for sure, lots of PP goals which we could use but hope he can produce some at evens too. Also looks like he plays on the same side as McDavid on the PP so if he's the trigger man and McD is the set up man not sure how that will work.

Death by a Thousand Cuts

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705648 is a reply to message #705563 ]
Mon, 18 December 2017 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Been thinking about this one a bunch this week. The first thought is that it doesn't make sense because he's another left winger, but the more I think about it, he fills a need here.

Patrick Maroon is looking at a significant payday this summer. He's looking at a 20+ goal, 40 +point season again, and so he'd be foolish to do anything but cash in on that this summer. Careers are short, and one bad year and he could be out of the league so he's got to make his money while he can.

Hoffman's a different player. He's more highly skilled than anyone we have on the left flank right now. He's a year and a half younger than Maroon, coming off a 62-point season. He's undoubtedly disappointed with his year-to-date results, but he's on a team in melt-down. That happens.

Unlike Maroon, Hoffman is under contract for another two years at $5,187,500/year. He's cheaper than Lucic and he brings more to the table. Ideally, you could send Lucic the other way, but the no-move clause and the disaster that is Ottawa means that's never going to happen. With Ottawa blowing it up, maybe you can get him for picks and prospects and use up the cap space. Means Mike Cammalleri is done here, but who cares. If you're icing three decent left-wingers, with our three really good centers, then you should be able to do some damage. Would certainly provide a boost.

Now as long as Chia can do it without giving up Nugent-Hopkins, Klefbom or some other key piece in an ill-conceived one-for-one deal...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705659 is a reply to message #705648 ]
Tue, 19 December 2017 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I think in general, the Oilers need to move on from Maroon. I think some team will easily give him 4.5 mill which is too much. As much as I like him a lot, they need more speed on the wings. I think if you have Lucic patrolling on one wing and then a more speedier guy on another wing, you'd have a good balance.

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705660 is a reply to message #705659 ]
Tue, 19 December 2017 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 19 December 2017 08:22

I think in general, the Oilers need to move on from Maroon. I think some team will easily give him 4.5 mill which is too much. As much as I like him a lot, they need more speed on the wings. I think if you have Lucic patrolling on one wing and then a more speedier guy on another wing, you'd have a good balance.

I think that decision is already made which is why they moved him off the McD line and you haven't heard a peep on contract convo in a while since the contract negotiations not going well comments a few months back.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705661 is a reply to message #705660 ]
Tue, 19 December 2017 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Mullet wrote on Tue, 19 December 2017 08:43

I think that decision is already made which is why they moved him off the McD line and you haven't heard a peep on contract convo in a while since the contract negotiations not going well comments a few months back.

I am of the belief that at the start of the season, it was going to be Maroon or Nuge as you couldn't afford to keep both. My companies second in command is good friends with the dad of Nuge's girlfriend, he's been with the same girl since he was in Red Deer. According to the Dad, Nuge and his agent talked after the playoffs about his future. They looked at the Oilers cap, looked at Nuge's contract and given how he played the last few years, they were basically preparing for what they thought was a given that he would be gone after this season. With the cap going up and given that Nuge finally looks like the Nuge we all thought he was, I think everything has changed and Nuge is staying. I can't see how you can get rid of him and with the 3 centers looking this good, they would be nuts to trade him.

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705872 is a reply to message #705661 ]
Fri, 22 December 2017 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 19 December 2017 08:51

I am of the belief that at the start of the season, it was going to be Maroon or Nuge as you couldn't afford to keep both. My companies second in command is good friends with the dad of Nuge's girlfriend, he's been with the same girl since he was in Red Deer. According to the Dad, Nuge and his agent talked after the playoffs about his future. They looked at the Oilers cap, looked at Nuge's contract and given how he played the last few years, they were basically preparing for what they thought was a given that he would be gone after this season. With the cap going up and given that Nuge finally looks like the Nuge we all thought he was, I think everything has changed and Nuge is staying. I can't see how you can get rid of him and with the 3 centers looking this good, they would be nuts to trade him.

Hahaha they wouldn't be nuts to trade.. um.. to.. to trade..
http://lowetide.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/mact-lowe-howson-620x360.jpg

Uhhh, these guys are still part of the mix aren't they?

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705873 is a reply to message #705872 ]
Fri, 22 December 2017 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 22 December 2017 09:35

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 19 December 2017 08:51

Hahaha they wouldn't be nuts to trade.. um.. to.. to trade..
http://lowetide.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/mact-lowe-howson-620x360.jpg

Uhhh, these guys are still part of the mix aren't they?

No chance. No professionally run franchise would ever keep the executives responsible for missing the playoffs in 10 consecutive season employed. That simply would defy reason and logic.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705876 is a reply to message #705873 ]
Fri, 22 December 2017 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Any news on this trade?

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705879 is a reply to message #705876 ]
Fri, 22 December 2017 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

Magnum wrote on Fri, 22 December 2017 10:25

Any news on this trade?

Trade freeze is on till the 28th I believe

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705880 is a reply to message #705876 ]
Fri, 22 December 2017 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Fri, 22 December 2017 10:25

Any news on this trade?

I can't imagine a trade of this magnitude gets leaked in detail before it happens. Anyway, the Christmas roster freeze is on until the 28th, so no news is permitted until then (unless the Oilers decide to hold a practice Monday morning).

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705890 is a reply to message #705660 ]
Fri, 22 December 2017 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

It's too bad. He has good hands and is a decent playmaker for a big guy. Even last night, it was his entry into the Blues zone and his delay and pass that set up the eventual game winner. That he fights and plays the role of pest is bonus.

I'm not sure it's the right decision to sign him or not, and I think you place priority on keeping RNH, but all things equal, I would have preferred Maroon at 4.5 than Lucic at 6.

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #709297 is a reply to message #705648 ]
Thu, 15 February 2018 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 18 December 2017 21:55

Been thinking about this one a bunch this week. The first thought is that it doesn't make sense because he's another left winger, but the more I think about it, he fills a need here.

Patrick Maroon is looking at a significant payday this summer. He's looking at a 20+ goal, 40 +point season again, and so he'd be foolish to do anything but cash in on that this summer. Careers are short, and one bad year and he could be out of the league so he's got to make his money while he can.

Hoffman's a different player. He's more highly skilled than anyone we have on the left flank right now. He's a year and a half younger than Maroon, coming off a 62-point season. He's undoubtedly disappointed with his year-to-date results, but he's on a team in melt-down. That happens.

Unlike Maroon, Hoffman is under contract for another two years at $5,187,500/year. He's cheaper than Lucic and he brings more to the table. Ideally, you could send Lucic the other way, but the no-move clause and the disaster that is Ottawa means that's never going to happen. With Ottawa blowing it up, maybe you can get him for picks and prospects and use up the cap space. Means Mike Cammalleri is done here, but who cares. If you're icing three decent left-wingers, with our three really good centers, then you should be able to do some damage. Would certainly provide a boost.

Now as long as Chia can do it without giving up Nugent-Hopkins, Klefbom or some other key piece in an ill-conceived one-for-one deal...

Heh, Travis Yost (blech) mentions just that on TSN today. Discusses how a Nuge for Hoffman swap makes sense for both teams.
I'd sure as hell hope that we'd get additional pieces in return for Nuge, but who knows with Chia.

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #709298 is a reply to message #709297 ]
Thu, 15 February 2018 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Thu, 15 February 2018 12:23

Adam wrote on Mon, 18 December 2017 21:55

Heh, Travis Yost (blech) mentions just that on TSN today. Discusses how a Nuge for Hoffman swap makes sense for both teams.
I'd sure as hell hope that we'd get additional pieces in return for Nuge, but who knows with Chia.

So we trade Nuge for a winger, without ever trying Nuge on the wing himself.

That's just stupid. It just seems so clear that Nuge could be a better winger. All he's really done well this year is shoot the puck, and it has actually paid off. He's still a mediocre center and not a very strong playmaker. McLellan compared him to Pavelski, but yeah, let's never ever try him on the wing.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705911 is a reply to message #705563 ]
Sat, 23 December 2017 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Tracy Lane going out on a limb

Tracy Lane @TreenasOil
Oilers sitting on a trade proposal expect a trade and more moves coming and one surprise move shortly after the freeze.....APG

Scary!

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers and Sens discussing Mike Hoffman swap? [message #705942 is a reply to message #705911 ]
Sun, 24 December 2017 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 23 December 2017 12:23

Tracy Lane going out on a limb

Tracy Lane @TreenasOil
Oilers sitting on a trade proposal expect a trade and more moves coming and one surprise move shortly after the freeze.....APG

Scary!

Please don't be Nuge going out....

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Good dudes versus NOT
Next Topic:Nicholson believes in the tank!
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca