F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Fire ChiarelliPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Fire Chiarelli [message #703574]
Fri, 24 November 2017 21:26 Go to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

Last year's Oilers were a few pieces away from a decent playoff run. Chiarelli instead misjudged the team at the deadline and made a Tambellini-esque trade of a 7th d-man for a 4th liner. The Oilers managed to get by an aging Sharks team that was heavily depleted by injuries. Next they fluked out a 3-2 series lead against the Ducks despite being dominated in a decent percentage of those games. Sure the series ends on some suspect calls but who honestly thought that line up was going to beat the Penguins? I'll tell you who, Chiarelli.

Not only did he think they were cup contenders, he thought they were cup contenders without Eberle, Pouliot, Desharnais, and Hendricks. So nothing at all of significance was added over the summer.

McDavid's contract gets done, literally the easiest negotiation ever. "Just tell us what you want to make Connor", and Draisatl gets top top dollar putting us into cap hell.

Eberle trade was a clear loss from the outset. Anyone who thought Strome was going to score 25 goals must not watch hockey.

Russell signing - too much for too long. Just because you jam a 5th dman into your top four doesn't excuse overpaying him

Jokinen signing - I admittedly thought it could work. but I'm not a pro scout (we still have those right?)

I won't mention Auvitu or the 20 other minor leaguers.

Long story short, Chiarelli at best stands pat over the summer, but more realistically put the team back a few steps. I don't want to hear about the Talbot and Maroon trades. They're further and further in the rearview mirror and some of the shine is coming off both guys this year. Simply put Chiarelli can't be trusted to take the Oilers any further. If he gets to the trade deadline with any hope of playoffs he's going to mortgage the future to bandaid the very average team he's assembled. Fire him before Christmas.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #703578 is a reply to message #703574 ]
Fri, 24 November 2017 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prince Albert 1  is currently offline Prince Albert 1

No Cups

I don't think it's going to happen. GM's usually get at least 1 coach firing before they end up on the hot seat themselves.

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #703586 is a reply to message #703574 ]
Fri, 24 November 2017 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

After watching Taylor Hall tonight vs. Canucks I'm even more pissed about that trade for Larsson. Chialrelli has a penchant for making himself believe he doesn't have any options and then pulling the trigger on bad trades.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706375 is a reply to message #703586 ]
Wed, 03 January 2018 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DUFFMAN  is currently offline DUFFMAN

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 24 November 2017 23:46

After watching Taylor Hall tonight vs. Canucks I'm even more pissed about that trade for Larsson.

I'm in the minority that thinks that was a good trade. I'm more angry about locking up Kris Russell for four years with an effing no move clause.

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706378 is a reply to message #703586 ]
Wed, 03 January 2018 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

After watching Taylor Hall tonight vs. Canucks I'm even more pissed about that trade for Larsson. Chialrelli has a penchant for making himself believe he doesn't have any options and then pulling the trigger on bad trades.

37 points in 37 games now. Leads the Devils in scoring by 12 points. Huge improvement from the Devils this season too...they sit second in the Metropolitan and third in the Eastern conference with 51 points. Hall was the straw stirring the drink for the Oilers through some pretty tough years. He continues to be an excellent player and he's going to lead his team in to the playoffs this year.

I like Larsson, but that's a terrible straight-up deal. It was when it happened, and the gap is never going to close on that.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706379 is a reply to message #706378 ]
Wed, 03 January 2018 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 January 2018 16:09

37 points in 37 games now. Leads the Devils in scoring by 12 points. Huge improvement from the Devils this season too...they sit second in the Metropolitan and third in the Eastern conference with 51 points. Hall was the straw stirring the drink for the Oilers through some pretty tough years. He continues to be an excellent player and he's going to lead his team in to the playoffs this year.

I like Larsson, but that's a terrible straight-up deal. It was when it happened, and the gap is never going to close on that.

Just on the topic of the Devils. How impressive is Hynes as a coach? 3 years ago he had almost no skill in his lineup, basically 1 forward line worth. So he had his team playing a lock down style. He rode the heck out of a top pair against all the top players and they held the fort, and they tried to win games off their special teams with almost no D talent. He manged a top 10 PP with zero impressive Dmen in his lineup and minimal talent up front. Didn't make the playoffs, but he really did make the best of what he had.

Last year, kinda went like this year for us in net. Schneider had a bad season. Their D they had left were too young still. Talent not quite there. Lots of changes to Hynes had to work through.

This year, their young D are a little older, Schneider is back (maybe the biggest reason for their improvement), and he gets a little injection of talent. Suddenly he's coaching an all out offense and it's working for them.

Quite a change in coaching approach. Even with the turnover in players and the total change in 5v5 approach to the game, one thing in common with 15/16 and 17/18 is a top 10 PP and PK for Jersey.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706383 is a reply to message #706378 ]
Wed, 03 January 2018 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 January 2018 15:09

Its trades like that.. Larsson for Hall, Seguin for Loui Erikson that can get a GM fired and haunt him and teh franchise forever .. oh wait.. that's how we GOT Chiarelli.. a bad trade
http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/four-years-later-t he-bruins-officially-have-nothing-left-from-the-seguin-trade
Quote:

In a package that included Rich Peverley and defenseman Ryan Button, Seguin was sent to the Dallas Stars in exchange for Loui Eriksson, Reilly Smith, Joe Morrow and Matt Fraser. It was a difficult deal to understand at the time and, four years later, it’s even more evident how lopsided it was.

Now is the perfect time to revisit the trade, too, not only because it happened four years ago to the day, but also because it was just this past weekend that Boston officially cut ties with the last remaining piece of their return. That means that as of this past weekend, Boston is essentially left with nothing, nada, zilch as the return for Seguin. In fact, every branch of the trade tree ends with Boston getting nothing in return.

Any of this sound familiar?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706495 is a reply to message #706378 ]
Fri, 05 January 2018 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lew19  is currently offline Lew19

No Cups

I loved the trade when it went down. I love the trade still today, even with the Oilers current woe's and being a long shot to even make the playoffs. What keeps me sane is recalling the whole year Hall whined about being traded, and how he felt "slighted" by being the one who got traded. Suddenly last season the team gelled, and we seen what we seen. I feel Hall not being apart of the locker room, and the pre-Madonna I felt he was, was what this team needed. Fast forward to today. Would Hall help this club offensively...Absolutely. Would he help this team not get down on themselves, and slide even further out of the playoff picture. Not a chance. Larsson provides the steadiness on the back end this team needs. Although we also need a few more defensmen to complete the hand. It cost us Hall...and I think we are still ok. The Eberle for Strome deal....not so good. I want to like Strome, but he just doesn't have it, and I don't think he's going to get it anytime soon. I feel for the kid.

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706536 is a reply to message #706378 ]
Fri, 05 January 2018 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 January 2018 15:09

I agree. Had to be Larson and a first, maybe second rounder. No brainer.

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #703591 is a reply to message #703574 ]
Sat, 25 November 2017 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

The problem is deeper in my eyes. If Chiarelli gets fired that leaves some combination of Lowe, MacTavish, Howson, and Nicholson in charge of finding his replacement. I don't trust that group at all to make a good decision.

Fire them all. New blood top to bottom. This organization still reeks of incompetence right to the owner.

[Updated on: Sat, 25 November 2017 17:24]

How could one doubt the braintrust of 6 Cups Kevin Lowe, MacT's E-MBA from Queens, Paul Coffey's skills coach resume, and drunk Gretzky?

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #703626 is a reply to message #703591 ]
Sat, 25 November 2017 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

4 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sat, 25 November 2017 01:11

The problem is deeper in my eyes. If Ciarelli gets fired that leaves some combination of Lowe, MacTavish, Howson, and Nicholson in charge of finding his replacement. I don't trust that group at all to make a good decision.

Fire them all. New blood top to bottom. This organization still reeks of incompetence right to the owner.

Indeed. The players and middle managers change, but the problems persist. This is an all or nothing solution. At this stage I don’t think Nicholson should be necessarily safe either as he’s now stained now by the virus too.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #703627 is a reply to message #703626 ]
Sat, 25 November 2017 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Fire Katz!
Sell the team.
Buy the Hurricanes.
Or beg uncle Gary for expansion.

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #703636 is a reply to message #703626 ]
Sat, 25 November 2017 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sat, 25 November 2017 16:27

Indeed. The players and middle managers change, but the problems persist. This is an all or nothing solution. At this stage I don’t think Nicholson should be necessarily safe either as he’s now stained now by the virus too.

Nicholson is the most overrated exec in hockey. He had a simple job, he did an okay job at it. I see absolutely nothing great about anything he's ever accomplished.

And he is just a member of the treehouse gang here. His "forensic audit" was a sham. The team wasn't making any other changes at the management level until they found out they were getting McDavid. MacTavish was allowed to go in front of the media and suggest that the next season was likely going to suck too, and they didn't have any intention of changing anything. Even after he said that and they hired Chiarelli, they still didn't let him go.

I would happily see Nicholson leave the organization too.

I'd even say goodbye to Wayne Gretzky as an Oilers exec, which hurts to say because I grew up idolizing Wayne Gretzky...but we need a complete and total change in the way this team is run, and that means no more hirings based on what someone did in their playing days here. Not even for #99.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #703637 is a reply to message #703636 ]
Sat, 25 November 2017 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 25 November 2017 21:25

nullterm wrote on Sat, 25 November 2017 16:27

Nicholson is the most overrated exec in hockey. He had a simple job, he did an okay job at it. I see absolutely nothing great about anything he's ever accomplished.

And he is just a member of the treehouse gang here. His "forensic audit" was a sham. The team wasn't making any other changes at the management level until they found out they were getting McDavid. MacTavish was allowed to go in front of the media and suggest that the next season was likely going to suck too, and they didn't have any intention of changing anything. Even after he said that and they hired Chiarelli, they still didn't let him go.

I would happily see Nicholson leave the organization too.

I'd even say goodbye to Wayne Gretzky as an Oilers exec, which hurts to say because I grew up idolizing Wayne Gretzky...but we need a complete and total change in the way this team is run, and that means no more hirings based on what someone did in their playing days here. Not even for #99.

Don't do it man. Don't bash Bobby Nicks! You can't try to take away the last shred of hope anyone has :P

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706355 is a reply to message #703637 ]
Wed, 03 January 2018 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Fire. Them. All.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706358 is a reply to message #706355 ]
Wed, 03 January 2018 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

4 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 03 January 2018 11:50

Fire. Them. All.

I’ll take a wholesale coaching change since we all know it’s unlikely that the entire front office will get the hammer.

So, what’s Darryl doing right now?

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706369 is a reply to message #706358 ]
Wed, 03 January 2018 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 03 January 2018 11:31

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 03 January 2018 11:50

Fire. Them. All.

I’ll take a wholesale coaching change since we all know it’s unlikely that the entire front office will get the hammer.

So, what’s Darryl doing right now?

I think someone like Dave Tippett could whip our D into shape and maybe stop the bleeding in the goals against and PK.

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706370 is a reply to message #703574 ]
Wed, 03 January 2018 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

The best thing for this team would be a new owner with a sole focus of winning, rather than budding around with his idols.

I'm not sure firing Chia will make this team better. You just know the new guy will be Keith Gretzky or Wayne himself.

A new coach might help. It seems like the players might be turning on TMac. I don't know anymore. I'm deflated and depressed about this team.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706372 is a reply to message #706370 ]
Wed, 03 January 2018 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Wed, 03 January 2018 14:51

The best thing for this team would be a new owner with a sole focus of winning, rather than budding around with his idols.

I'm not sure firing Chia will make this team better. You just know the new guy will be Keith Gretzky or Wayne himself.

A new coach might help. It seems like the players might be turning on TMac. I don't know anymore. I'm deflated and depressed about this team.

You know, Scott Howson never really got his chance to run the Oilers.

And look how good the Columbus Blue Jackets are doing now...who's to say that he wasn't the architect of all of that?

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706442 is a reply to message #706372 ]
Thu, 04 January 2018 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DUFFMAN  is currently offline DUFFMAN

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 January 2018 14:54

And look how good the Columbus Blue Jackets are doing now...who's to say that he wasn't the architect of all of that?

What about..drumroll...the Moose as GM and player-coach.

This team puts Nruse and Kris Russell on the top pairing. Maybe management sucks but the coaching is making it worse.

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706510 is a reply to message #706372 ]
Fri, 05 January 2018 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

You're quite funny. John Davidson deserves no love?

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706516 is a reply to message #706510 ]
Fri, 05 January 2018 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 05 January 2018 09:27

Nah, it's all the seeds sown by Howson and Doug MacLean.

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706517 is a reply to message #706516 ]
Fri, 05 January 2018 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 05 January 2018 09:59

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 05 January 2018 09:27

Nah, it's all the seeds sown by Howson and Doug MacLean.

I'd go 50% Bobo (guess you can say that's Howson), and 50% Davidson.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706446 is a reply to message #703574 ]
Thu, 04 January 2018 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Chiarelli's problem is he wasn't here for the pain, and he had the best generational player since Gretzky land in his lap from a lotto ticket, he was McD drunk, thought all he needed was McD to get scoring, which is pretty close to being true, but the guy can, but not always go through 3 players and score, he needs help, and he doesn't have it. Chiarelli under valued what Hall could do, and was probably under valuing Nuge as well, and was likely on the trade block, until this come back year, now you wonder how they can trade him, that could have been another loser trade. I'm smelling some confusion and panic with the Oilers, bad things result. We don't need more Strome's.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706454 is a reply to message #706446 ]
Thu, 04 January 2018 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 04 January 2018 17:01

Chiarelli's problem is he wasn't here for the pain, and he had the best generational player since Gretzky land in his lap from a lotto ticket, he was McD drunk, thought all he needed was McD to get scoring, which is pretty close to being true, but the guy can, but not always go through 3 players and score, he needs help, and he doesn't have it. Chiarelli under valued what Hall could do, and was probably under valuing Nuge as well, and was likely on the trade block, until this come back year, now you wonder how they can trade him, that could have been another loser trade. I'm smelling some confusion and panic with the Oilers, bad things result. We don't need more Strome's.

I could make my second most offensive post in my Oilfans history to this. I won't, but I certainly thought about it.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706486 is a reply to message #706454 ]
Thu, 04 January 2018 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 04 January 2018 17:11

I could make my second most offensive post in my Oilfans history to this. I won't, but I certainly thought about it.

Don't mean to poke a bear, but are you referring to my post, or Chiarelli?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706514 is a reply to message #706486 ]
Fri, 05 January 2018 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 04 January 2018 22:26

I'm referring to Chiarelli being compared to drunk MacT. It's an excellent comparison that doesn't need to be pushed as far as I want to push it.

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706538 is a reply to message #706514 ]
Fri, 05 January 2018 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 05 January 2018 08:43

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 04 January 2018 22:26

I'm referring to Chiarelli being compared to drunk MacT. It's an excellent comparison that doesn't need to be pushed as far as I want to push it.

I love offensive humor! MacT driving drunk as harmfull as Chia driving McDrunk! I get it!

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706453 is a reply to message #703574 ]
Thu, 04 January 2018 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

IMHO Oilers should focus on James Neal when he is UFA (if Vegas doesn't re-sign), he'd be a solid winger for McD, pure sniper, and has decent wheels, and tough as nails.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706496 is a reply to message #706453 ]
Fri, 05 January 2018 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

It’s probably fair to say, at this point, that in terms of trading first line players, Chia has the worst record in the league.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706499 is a reply to message #706496 ]
Fri, 05 January 2018 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Fri, 05 January 2018 07:29

It’s probably fair to say, at this point, that in terms of trading first line players, Chia has the worst record in the league.

Yeah, but think of how bold he is. Did you know he won a cup?

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706573 is a reply to message #706496 ]
Sat, 06 January 2018 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Just take his cell phone away already!

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706646 is a reply to message #703574 ]
Sun, 07 January 2018 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Just in general, it is sad that we hired a GM that believes in “heavy hockey” to compete in our division, and over the next 2 years our whole division except us starts shifting away from heavy hockey. Lowe and friends behind the curve yet again.

Saw and interview with Darryl sutter and even he said the league is moving away from just defending and checking to checking (more stick checking, less separating man from puck) and speed/transition.

That Sutter article was actually pretty encouraging for him possibly being a good solution to our problems, but who knows what our behind the curve management group is thinking. Maybe Lowe will want to relive his most recent glory and hire Keenan.

[Updated on: Sun, 07 January 2018 11:33]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706687 is a reply to message #703574 ]
Sun, 07 January 2018 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Matheson calling Chia out. Sign that orders coming from above to prepare fans for a change?

Jim Matheson‏ @NHLbyMatty
Blame rests with the GM not the coach McLellan. Pretty much every move or analysis by Chiarelli after last year has not turned out. It is his team. Oilers wanted experienced coach when they hired McLellan. They have one

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706688 is a reply to message #706687 ]
Sun, 07 January 2018 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 07 January 2018 16:46

Matheson calling Chia out. Sign that orders coming from above to prepare fans for a change?

Jim Matheson‏ @NHLbyMatty
Blame rests with the GM not the coach McLellan. Pretty much every move or analysis by Chiarelli after last year has not turned out. It is his team. Oilers wanted experienced coach when they hired McLellan. They have one

Rarely do I ever agree with Matheson‏ or opinions vetted through him by the powers that be, but on this I do. McLellan wasn't given a good enough roster this season. We knew the D was broken when Sekera was hurt in the playoffs and the team folded up, and Chia didn't do anything to address that.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706689 is a reply to message #706688 ]
Sun, 07 January 2018 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

It is Chia’s team but how they prepare and execute is the coaches job. That has been a failure. The special teams play is some of the worst we’ve had and that’s a coaching issue. They all need to go.

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706690 is a reply to message #706689 ]
Sun, 07 January 2018 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

jerekybeef wrote on Sun, 07 January 2018 18:18

It is Chia’s team but how they prepare and execute is the coaches job. That has been a failure. The special teams play is some of the worst we’ve had and that’s a coaching issue. They all need to go.

Yeah, honestly, they both are mediocre to poor at their jobs. But, I'd fire Chia before McLellan. No point in letting Chia pick another coach. That's a shame if the next GM wants a father figure giving discipline/grind everything out/garbage special teams coach, but there's no point in letting Chia use a coach swap as a way to extend his leash.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706696 is a reply to message #703574 ]
Sun, 07 January 2018 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Big Bob chimes in:

Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer
Oilers fans.
I know you are dissapointed in the poor season to date.
In the last 10 years the Oilers have had 4 GM's and 7 Head Coaches.
Do you want to be the Cleveland Browns or learn from the Tampa Bay Lightning?... who stuck with John Cooper after tough '16-'17 season.

So, 3/4 of those GM's he mentions were Lowe himself and 2 Lowe buddies. One of which was just brought in to be a scapegoat for the tanking. The other his totally unqualified best buddy. Only real GM hire we have done since the 90's was Chia. I imagine Bob realises that fans realise this.

He also doesn't mention Yzerman in his specific example, just Cooper.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706697 is a reply to message #706696 ]
Sun, 07 January 2018 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

When is Katz going to fire all the Old Boys? When Connor asks for a trade? would that even do it?

Re: Fire Chiarelli [message #706698 is a reply to message #706696 ]
Sun, 07 January 2018 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 07 January 2018 21:39

Big Bob chimes in:

Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer
Oilers fans.
I know you are dissapointed in the poor season to date.
In the last 10 years the Oilers have had 4 GM's and 7 Head Coaches.
Do you want to be the Cleveland Browns or learn from the Tampa Bay Lightning?... who stuck with John Cooper after tough '16-'17 season.

So, 3/4 of those GM's he mentions were Lowe himself and 2 Lowe buddies. One of which was just brought in to be a scapegoat for the tanking. The other his totally unqualified best buddy. Only real GM hire we have done since the 90's was Chia. I imagine Bob realises that fans realise this.

He also doesn't mention Yzerman in his specific example, just Cooper.

Tampa Bay missed the playoffs by a single point. Arguably their best player - Steve Stamkos - missed 65 games with injury. Tyler Johnson missed 16. Cooper had taken the team to the Finals and the Final Four in the prior two seasons. They were no doubt very disappointed to miss the playoffs, but I don't think there's a lot to compare between the Lightning of last year and the Oilers of this year.

Cooper's track record - he won in his second year in the USHL, he won in his second year in the AHL, he took his team to the Finals in his second full year in the NHL - is worlds different than Todd McLellan, who's had teams routinely underachieve his entire coaching career and who has never won ANYTHING in his entire head coaching tenure other than the President's Trophy in his first year in San Jose...and of course, they cratered in the first round to the lowest seed in the West that year.

The Oilers have given marching orders to protect the coach from the slings and arrows right now. It's fascinating to me that they haven't provided the same protection for the GM and I think it's really telling.

EDIT - sorry, I lied. McLellan DID win a Calder Cup in the AHL. So he can say he's tied Cooper there. He still is a perpetual underperformer at the NHL level.

[Updated on: Sun, 07 January 2018 22:31]

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Oilers sign Colin Larkin
Next Topic:Oilers trade Jerabek to the Blues
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca