This day on October 17
None

Happy Birthday To: edm76, Beeman1979, MVPMOREAU, KSC10032, 17Kurri17, Cementhead27, digisat, chris.oilers11

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Who is the best player in the NHL?
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Who is the best player in the NHL? [message #699296]
Tue, 26 September 2017 18:29 Go to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

3 Cups

Who is the best player in the NHL today?[ 90 vote(s) ]
1.Connor McDavid 56 / 62%
2.Sidney Crosby 28 / 31%
3.Someone else because I don't know a damned thing about hockey and my opinion is invalid. 6 / 7%

Watching TSN top 50 current players show. No surprise that it came down to Crosby and McDavid for top 2 players. TSN went with McDavid. What say the people here?

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Who is the best player in the NHL? [message #699297 is a reply to message #699296 ]
Tue, 26 September 2017 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 26 September 2017 18:29

Watching TSN top 50 current players show. No surprise that it came down to Crosby and McDavid for top 2 players. TSN went with McDavid. What say the people here?

Most dynamic and amazing with the clear potential to be the best for a solid 10 year run soon? McDavid.

Guy you would pick to try to win the Cup this year if your life depended on it? Probably still Crosby.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Who is the best player in the NHL? [message #699299 is a reply to message #699296 ]
Tue, 26 September 2017 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

My answer may change after this year, but I still think it is Crosby.

In a year where McDavid collects the big 3 accolades (Ted Lindsay, Hart, Art Ross), Crosby still comes away with the Richard, Conn Smythe, and Stanley Cup (and World Cup if that matters).

I am in the camp that this is still a Crosby league until it isn't. McDavid is going to have to outperform him by a fairly large margin. It is inevitable that it will happen at some point given the age difference, but it will be an exciting couple years head to head.

How could one doubt the braintrust of 6 Cups Kevin Lowe, MacT's E-MBA from Queens, Paul Coffey's skills coach resume, and drunk Gretzky?

Re: Who is the best player in the NHL? [message #699302 is a reply to message #699299 ]
Wed, 27 September 2017 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
messier11  is currently offline messier11

No Cups

Ask me again next year, I don't like Cr(ybaby)osby but it's hard to argue with fact. When he is healthy, his team is better and they win Cups.

Who would I rather watch this season, McDavid, hands down, but he just doesn't have the same credentials yet.

I'll put the first paycheck I made at the gas station I worked at when I was 16 down on the fact that in 20 years when people are looking back, they will say McDavid was better than Crosby, but right now it's still the Crosby Show.

Re: Who is the best player in the NHL? [message #699306 is a reply to message #699302 ]
Wed, 27 September 2017 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sloiler  is currently offline sloiler

No Cups

As of September 27, 2017 at 11:55 am I am going to go with Sidney Crosby. Last year he won the Cup, the Rocket and Smyth. I think he still wears the crown right now. Within a year he will remove that crown and place it on the head of Connor.

In the years to come, Connor WILL be a cup champion, he will be Captain of Team Canada (Olympics or World Cup) he will win the Conn Smyth and if he ever decides that nobody can shoot as well as him and stops being generous to his line mates he will win the Richard also.

Has anyone ever won the Hart, Smyth, Lindsay, Richard, Art Ross, Stanley Cup in all in one year. As in Clean sweep, nobody else should show up for the awards ceremony. If he was to do that I am pretty sure there would be no question that the torch was passed to Connor.

Re: Who is the best player in the NHL? [message #699307 is a reply to message #699306 ]
Wed, 27 September 2017 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

sloiler wrote on Wed, 27 September 2017 11:04

Has anyone ever won the Hart, Smyth, Lindsay, Richard, Art Ross, Stanley Cup in all in one year. As in Clean sweep, nobody else should show up for the awards ceremony. If he was to do that I am pretty sure there would be no question that the torch was passed to Connor.

Looks like Gretzky did in 84-85, although there was no such thing as the Richard back then. If there was, he would have won that too.

How could one doubt the braintrust of 6 Cups Kevin Lowe, MacT's E-MBA from Queens, Paul Coffey's skills coach resume, and drunk Gretzky?

Re: Who is the best player in the NHL? [message #699308 is a reply to message #699306 ]
Wed, 27 September 2017 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

sloiler wrote on Wed, 27 September 2017 11:04

Technically, no. But Gretzky would have in 84/85 if the Richard trophy had existed back then. He edged Kurri out for the NHL lead 73 goals to 71 (gretzky had 11 SH goals that year!).

Wins in a row the Oilers need to get to playoff pace: infinity
games!!

Re: Who is the best player in the NHL? [message #699312 is a reply to message #699296 ]
Wed, 27 September 2017 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

4 Cups

If we're talking present day, I have to go with Connor. He's younger, faster, and at least as skilled as Sidney- about the only thing he needs to do better at is shooting instead of passing so that he can pot more goals. My opinion is purely based on them as individual players, which leads into my next point below.

People can talk about Stanley Cups, but it's a team sport- Crosby was of course a key part of those championship teams, but look at the talent and coaching he had around him too. Put Connor on those teams, and he would be sporting a couple of Cup rings at least right now.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Who is the best player in the NHL? [message #699616 is a reply to message #699296 ]
Wed, 04 October 2017 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

1 Cup

25 members need to rethink their vote right about now!!!

Visual Win > Moral Win > Strong Effort with signs of improvement > Actual Win

December 15th, 2014: REBUILD #4 OFFICIALLY BEGINS!

Re: Who is the best player in the NHL? [message #699618 is a reply to message #699616 ]
Wed, 04 October 2017 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rekkin  is currently offline Rekkin

No Cups

bigEfromGP wrote on Wed, 04 October 2017 22:54

Yup, I'm one of them. That was a dominant performance.

The people you are sure are wrong are just as sure that you are wrong. The only difference is they're wrong. - God @TheTweetOfGod

Re: Who is the best player in the NHL? [message #699621 is a reply to message #699616 ]
Wed, 04 October 2017 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

bigEfromGP wrote on Wed, 04 October 2017 22:54

I feel shame

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Who is the best player in the NHL? [message #699644 is a reply to message #699621 ]
Thu, 05 October 2017 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

1 Cup

https://media.giphy.com/media/Ob7p7lDT99cd2/giphy.gif

Visual Win > Moral Win > Strong Effort with signs of improvement > Actual Win

December 15th, 2014: REBUILD #4 OFFICIALLY BEGINS!

Re: Who is the best player in the NHL? [message #699716 is a reply to message #699644 ]
Fri, 06 October 2017 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sloiler  is currently offline sloiler

No Cups

As I walk through the alley as People yell Shame, I will have to rethink my vote.

In my defense I did say as of Sept 27. Well now it is October 6 and I think I will change my vote, what a game.

Re: Who is the best player in the NHL? [message #700158 is a reply to message #699716 ]
Sun, 15 October 2017 16:37 Go to previous message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

Floyd Mayweather is way better than Connor McDavid.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Previous Topic:How about Nash?
Next Topic:How many points does Drai need to earn 8.5M?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca