F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers Training Camp 2017Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699005]
Fri, 15 September 2017 12:32 Go to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-group-a-skaters-take-th e-ice/c-291073752?tid=281885062

....Strome with Maroon and McDavid to get things going.....
....no reports of anyone not showing up or not passing their medicals
....apparently Benning is paired with Russell on Defense...

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699006 is a reply to message #699005 ]
Fri, 15 September 2017 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

I know that part of camp is to evaluate young guys and see where they are at. Newly drafted guys get to taste NHL camps and find out what it takes to a degree. I know part of it is for the AHL coach to see guys. But I hope that they make cuts relatively quickly and get down to a small number so they can be figuring out line combos, building line chemistry, defense pairings and getting some continuity for the defense. So when the season starts, they can hit the ground running. How many spots are available? Maybe the #7 dman and maybe the 13th forward spot? I highly doubt a first year pro gets a sniff at anything.

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699007 is a reply to message #699005 ]
Fri, 15 September 2017 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 15 September 2017 12:32

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-group-a-skaters-take-th e-ice/c-291073752?tid=281885062

From OIlers twitter:

Group B players include Lucic-Draisaitl-Caggiula, Jokinen-RNH-Puljujarvi, Klefbom-Larsson, Nurse-Gryba, Yamamoto.

Hope Lucic can up his 5v5 game this year. Team badly needs it.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699008 is a reply to message #699007 ]
Fri, 15 September 2017 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 15 September 2017 13:09

From OIlers twitter:

Group B players include Lucic-Draisaitl-Caggiula, Jokinen-RNH-Puljujarvi, Klefbom-Larsson, Nurse-Gryba, Yamamoto.

Did you happen to hear his interview yesterday? I like the fact that while he's come into camp in shape, he says he's he had an uninterrupted offseason and he's in the best shape he's been in years. I believe it was tweeted he's down about 5 lbs overall but his body fat is way down. According to Spec he was looking pretty fit. Good sign.

I saw Maroon in his interview, he's looking pretty lean and mean too.

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699010 is a reply to message #699007 ]
Fri, 15 September 2017 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

No Cups

From OIlers twitter:

I like the line combos so far and they seem to be what most expected. More than anything I am just happy that the team is back on the ice. Perhaps the quality of discussion will be upped now that he have something concrete to (over)analyze

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699011 is a reply to message #699010 ]
Fri, 15 September 2017 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I am curious to see how long they keep Yamamoto up. I am guessing he gets into a few preseason games but unless he's absolutely unbelievable in camp and in all the preseason games he will get into, I wouldn't keep him up long. Gaudreau has proven that tiny, skilled guys can definitely play but at 18, no way Yamamoto is strong enough. Gaudreau being from US college would have been a few years older. That makes a huge difference.

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699017 is a reply to message #699011 ]
Fri, 15 September 2017 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 15 September 2017 14:11

I am curious to see how long they keep Yamamoto up. I am guessing he gets into a few preseason games but unless he's absolutely unbelievable in camp and in all the preseason games he will get into, I wouldn't keep him up long. Gaudreau has proven that tiny, skilled guys can definitely play but at 18, no way Yamamoto is strong enough. Gaudreau being from US college would have been a few years older. That makes a huge difference.

I don't see them being in any sort of hurry to get Yamamoto into the main roster, because scoring goals will not be an issue for them for the foreseeable future. I'm more expecting to see Bear and Jones given longer looks in camp unless they go ahead and sign Franson or someone else to hold the fort while Sek is out.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699018 is a reply to message #699017 ]
Fri, 15 September 2017 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 15 September 2017 16:15

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 15 September 2017 14:11

I don't see them being in any sort of hurry to get Yamamoto into the main roster, because scoring goals will not be an issue for them for the foreseeable future. I'm more expecting to see Bear and Jones given longer looks in camp unless they go ahead and sign Franson or someone else to hold the fort while Sek is out.

I agree with you. Let Yamamoto be in camp, play a preseason game or 2, then send him back to junior to play, dominate, get stronger. Bring him back, do camp again, maybe he plays all the preseason games, then send him back and dominated and get bigger and stronger. The Oilers let Eberle finish junior before he went pro. I believe they should be doing the same with Yamamoto.

For Bear and Jones. I would like to see them get at least a year of pro hockey under their belt. The jump from junior to pros is massive and I think it's even harder for a dman than a forward.

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699022 is a reply to message #699018 ]
Sat, 16 September 2017 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

some tweaks in the teams for Saturday practice...nothing earth-shattering, just seems like experimenting with different combinations.....

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-saturday-group-rosters/ c-291098460?tid=281885062

Rishaug is reporting that Jussi Jokinen isn't on the ice this morning, but doesn't know why....

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699023 is a reply to message #699007 ]
Sat, 16 September 2017 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

4 Cups

From OIlers twitter:

Boy, is Cagguila ever getting the push. Those 18 points are somehow propelling him into a gifted Top-6 role.

Only more shocking would be Slepyshev's 10 points propelling him into a similar role.

Really wish they'd have signed a proven, cheap vet, and let those two push their way up. They may be successful, but it's far from a sure bet and it seems like an unnecessary bet to be honest.

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699026 is a reply to message #699023 ]
Sat, 16 September 2017 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sat, 16 September 2017 11:32

From OIlers twitter:

Boy, is Cagguila ever getting the push. Those 18 points are somehow propelling him into a gifted Top-6 role.

Only more shocking would be Slepyshev's 10 points propelling him into a similar role.

Really wish they'd have signed a proven, cheap vet, and let those two push their way up. They may be successful, but it's far from a sure bet and it seems like an unnecessary bet to be honest.

On the topic of Cagguila:

Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug
Yamamoto appears to have taken Caggiulas spot with Draisaitl and Lucic this period. Sluggish first for Caggiula IMO

Caggiula returns to his spot on Draisaitl line. About a half period demotion to keep him aware it seems.

Also,
Strome just buried one top shelf off a McDavid feed in team scrimmage. They want him shooting.

Caggiula probably had the longest leash of any player last year among relatively young players. McLellan really seems to like something about him. I guess he gets a little leeway over guys like Pulju because he is 4+ years older and his game "should" be more polished. Hope Caggiula can live up to his coaches expectation this year.

[Updated on: Sat, 16 September 2017 14:17]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699029 is a reply to message #699026 ]
Sat, 16 September 2017 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 16 September 2017 14:15

From OIlers twitter:

Yamamoto appears to have taken Caggiulas spot with Draisaitl and Lucic this period. Sluggish first for Caggiula IMO

Caggiula returns to his spot on Draisaitl line. About a half period demotion to keep him aware it seems.

Also,
Strome just buried one top shelf off a McDavid feed in team scrimmage. They want him shooting.

Caggiula probably had the longest leash of any player last year among relatively young players. McLellan really seems to like something about him. I guess he gets a little leeway over guys like Pulju because he is 4+ years older and his game "should" be more polished. Hope Caggiula can live up to his coaches expectation this year.

I laughed at Rishaug's tweets today. First training camp scrimmage and we're already over-analyzing when lines get swapped around? Maybe they just wanted to give Yamamoto a look. Talk about trying to make a story out of nothing.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #ChiaOnNotice

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699031 is a reply to message #699029 ]
Sat, 16 September 2017 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goffer48  is currently offline goffer48

No Cups

Rishaug should be a member in here ...... icon_biggrin
.... doh
rofl ...maybe he is !!!

-Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
-Don't mess with old folks, they didn't get old by being stupid.

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699037 is a reply to message #699031 ]
Sun, 17 September 2017 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ravb1981  is currently offline ravb1981

No Cups

Anyone knows/seen what the roster in Calgary will be for the split squad games tomorrow?

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699038 is a reply to message #699037 ]
Sun, 17 September 2017 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

ravb1981 wrote on Sun, 17 September 2017 10:34

Anyone knows/seen what the roster in Calgary will be for the split squad games tomorrow?

Haven't seen anything yet myself but if past years are any indication you'll see both teams dress a veteran-laden team at home and send a team of scrubs with the bare minimum Vet's to the other city.

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699062 is a reply to message #699038 ]
Mon, 18 September 2017 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 17 September 2017 12:45

ravb1981 wrote on Sun, 17 September 2017 10:34

Haven't seen anything yet myself but if past years are any indication you'll see both teams dress a veteran-laden team at home and send a team of scrubs with the bare minimum Vet's to the other city.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/previews-oilers-vs-flames--o ilers-at-flames/c-291133254

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699039 is a reply to message #699029 ]
Sun, 17 September 2017 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 16 September 2017 17:36

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 16 September 2017 14:15

From OIlers twitter:

Also,

I laughed at Rishaug's tweets today. First training camp scrimmage and we're already over-analyzing when lines get swapped around? Maybe they just wanted to give Yamamoto a look. Talk about trying to make a story out of nothing.

Hey man, I'm hungry got stories/drama. Don't ruin it! Rishaug is the man at giving the people what they want.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699054 is a reply to message #699005 ]
Mon, 18 September 2017 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

I think Yamamoto is gone before the end of the preseason, unless (as others have said) he blows the doors off camp with his play. In watching him, he's gifted, but his play certainly shows he's not ready for the bigs.

As for the rest of camp, I will not read into the lines too much. I think Caggiula placement is just to see him as the preseason is the best time to see where things fit.

I think camp should be pretty quiet.

The very definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699059 is a reply to message #699054 ]
Mon, 18 September 2017 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I wouldn't keep Yamamoto around too long. He's got tons of skill but he's just not strong enough yet. Some 18 yr olds who have size struggle because they aren't strong enough to play against men, a gut who's 5'8, 155 lbs has no chance in my opinion and you risk significant injury. Go back to junior, dominate, train, get stronger maybe the end of the WHL season if your team is out, play in the AHL for a few games if he is allowed. Come to camp next year, maybe get in all the preseason, maybe a game or 2 if he's lucky. Go back to your last year of junior, dominate, train, get stronger, play in the AL at the end of your WHL season as a 20 yr old. Come to camp 2 seasons from now ready to make the team.

We don't need him getting lit up by some career AHLer in his first camp in some meaningless preseason game looking to get noticed and catching him not looking. Every team has a few of those guys on their training camp roster looking to stand out.

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699063 is a reply to message #699005 ]
Mon, 18 September 2017 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

4 Cups

I was at the open training camp practice/scrimmage yesterday. Cagguila looks bulky and tall next to Yamamoto. I think they'd be doing him a huge disservice keeping him up for NHL action this year. He needs to bulk up before he starts fighting against the Burns and Doughtys of the Pacific.

Nuge could have used the time to bulk up. Eberle needed it. And Yamamoto needs it more than either arguably. If you are in need of a RW so badly, Oilers would be wise to sign a vet rather than rushing Yamamoto.

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699064 is a reply to message #699063 ]
Mon, 18 September 2017 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Man I'm happy Jay and Dan are back.
Here's the preview for tonight's games:

http://www.tsn.ca/jay-and-dan/video/a-split-squad-game-for-t he-ages%7E1210449

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699071 is a reply to message #699063 ]
Mon, 18 September 2017 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 18 September 2017 12:07

I was at the open training camp practice/scrimmage yesterday. Cagguila looks bulky and tall next to Yamamoto. I think they'd be doing him a huge disservice keeping him up for NHL action this year. He needs to bulk up before he starts fighting against the Burns and Doughtys of the Pacific.

Nuge could have used the time to bulk up. Eberle needed it. And Yamamoto needs it more than either arguably. If you are in need of a RW so badly, Oilers would be wise to sign a vet rather than rushing Yamamoto.

I agree 100%. From my limited viewing it seems that Yamamoto has a quickness/slipperiness that RNH and Eberle dont. Either way a year or even two of filling out and improving is still a good thing.
For years the Oilers rushed 18-20 year olds into roles they werent ready for. Now that they are a competitive team they shouldnt have to do that.
Also, it wont hurt to delay a higher cap hit if he does pan out and earns one

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699086 is a reply to message #699071 ]
Mon, 18 September 2017 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 18 September 2017 13:58

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 18 September 2017 12:07

I agree 100%. From my limited viewing it seems that Yamamoto has a quickness/slipperiness that RNH and Eberle dont. Either way a year or even two of filling out and improving is still a good thing.
For years the Oilers rushed 18-20 year olds into roles they werent ready for. Now that they are a competitive team they shouldnt have to do that.
Also, it wont hurt to delay a higher cap hit if he does pan out and earns one

Sometime they don't seem to fill out, i.e. Nuge, guy still isn't shaving..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699104 is a reply to message #699086 ]
Tue, 19 September 2017 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

...this was expected, his Swedish team is starting their season and he will be a regualar over there...

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-assign-lagess on-to-djurgarden/c-291161988

"....The Oilers roster now sits at 55 players (5 goalies, 17 defencemen and 33 forwards)...."

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699105 is a reply to message #699104 ]
Tue, 19 September 2017 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Now that the split squad games are over, I wonder when the Oilers will make some significant cuts. Looking at the roster.
Forward:
Chase, Christoffer, Downing, Ferlin, Malone, Platzer, Russell have zero chance of making it and I doubt any of them would be call ups. It wouldn't shock me if this is the last we see of Chase, Christoffer and Plazer at least.

Defense:
Betker, Lowe, Mantha, Paigin. Have no chance of making the team. I think Betker is done as an Oiler. He's not even a regular AHLer.

Goalie:
Pasquale, Starrett, none of the are going to even start in the AHL.

I wonder how long they keep these guys around.

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699106 is a reply to message #699105 ]
Tue, 19 September 2017 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

The Condors start their training camp Monday September 25, so likely a number of players will be assigned just before that date....

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699107 is a reply to message #699106 ]
Tue, 19 September 2017 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Looks like the Oilers have already basically separated the NHLers from the AHLers.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-camp-day-6-content-and- updates/c-291171150?tid=281885062

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699108 is a reply to message #699107 ]
Tue, 19 September 2017 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 19 September 2017 11:00

Looks like the Oilers have already basically separated the NHLers from the AHLers.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-camp-day-6-content-and- updates/c-291171150?tid=281885062

Yamamoto is still alive!

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699111 is a reply to message #699108 ]
Tue, 19 September 2017 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Goose wrote on Tue, 19 September 2017 12:08

Yamamoto is still alive!

....the coach likes what he sees...."many more games"..

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-mclellan-assesses-yamam otos-first-audition/c-291182524?tid=281885062

..."Yamamoto ended the night with two points (1G, 1A) and two shots on goal in 15:45 minutes played. He got a look on a powerful first-unit power play, which featured the likes of Leon Draisaitl, Oscar Klefbom, Milan Lucic and Drake Caggiula.

"The coaches mentioned they only had to tell him once or twice on how to adjust to things and he was able to do that," McLellan said.

"It was a really good first showing but that's just what that is: a first audition. He'll get an opportunity to play many more games and we'll see where he goes."....

Spokane's first regular season game in the WHL is on September 29 in Cranbrook....after watching him in the Penticton Tournament and the rookie game against Calgary, I was all for sending him back to Spokane to start the season....I Know RD oiler fan wants to send him down now, but in this case I'll defer to TMac's judgement.....

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699112 is a reply to message #699111 ]
Tue, 19 September 2017 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm is currently online nullterm

6 Cups

Even if he’s sent back, it’s good to get him a good soak in the NHL game so he can shape his game with that in mind. Unless he tears the doors off I’m still in favour of sending him down so ha can mature longer and not repeat past mistakes.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699113 is a reply to message #699112 ]
Tue, 19 September 2017 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 19 September 2017 19:10

Even if he’s sent back, it’s good to get him a good soak in the NHL game so he can shape his game with that in mind. Unless he tears the doors off I’m still in favour of sending him down so ha can mature longer and not repeat past mistakes.

Starting to feel like we have a bit of a Yak situation going. Not exactly the same, but just in how Pulju needs a LOT of guidance to get his NHL game together. Not sure anymore that he will get that with the AHL team. Unless he is really turning into a disaster, I think we should just let him play some low pressure minutes on the 3rd line with JJ. Hopefully JJ can do for Pulju what Roy did for Yak.

But if McLellan puts him in the no trust zone again and just refuses to give him any minutes, I hope Chia doesn't sit on his hands again. If he simply cannot get NHL ice time, send him down. He will never learn if he's not playing no matter what other help he's getting.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699117 is a reply to message #699111 ]
Wed, 20 September 2017 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Tue, 19 September 2017 17:39

Goose wrote on Tue, 19 September 2017 12:08

Yamamoto is still alive!

....the coach likes what he sees...."many more games"..

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-mclellan-assesses-yamam otos-first-audition/c-291182524?tid=281885062

..."Yamamoto ended the night with two points (1G, 1A) and two shots on goal in 15:45 minutes played. He got a look on a powerful first-unit power play, which featured the likes of Leon Draisaitl, Oscar Klefbom, Milan Lucic and Drake Caggiula.

"The coaches mentioned they only had to tell him once or twice on how to adjust to things and he was able to do that," McLellan said.

"It was a really good first showing but that's just what that is: a first audition. He'll get an opportunity to play many more games and we'll see where he goes."....

Spokane's first regular season game in the WHL is on September 29 in Cranbrook....after watching him in the Penticton Tournament and the rookie game against Calgary, I was all for sending him back to Spokane to start the season....I Know RD oiler fan wants to send him down now, but in this case I'll defer to TMac's judgement.....

I don't want Yamamoto to be sent down because I dislike him. I am excited and have high hopes for him. He's an offensive player that needs to play in the top 6 so that means being on McDavid's or Leon's wing. That means playing against teams best d pairings and probably best lines. The jump from junior to the NHL is massive. Not a lot of players make it and have a ton of success. At his size, it will be even tougher. A player like Yamamoto needs to play and needs to get bigger and stronger physically. Small players can play in the NHL, Gaudreau is a great example. But if you put Yamamoto and Gaudreau together, I bet Gaudreau is way stronger because he's that much older and had that many more years to train. The difference between a 18 yr old and even a 20 yr old strength wise is huge. The Oilers slow played Eberle and let him dominate junior and let him get bigger and stronger and it didn't hurt him so I see that as the best for Yamamoto. So unless he is absolutely unbelievable in camp, I would send him down at some point.

Plus with the contracts of McDavid and Leon taking up big money, they Oilers are going to need a steady stream of young, dirt cheap guys coming into the line up and contributing immediately. If they can delay his ELC from kicking in and delay when they have to start paying him big money, all the better. When he comes into the league they need him to be contributing right away. There is a much better chance he does that with a few more years of development and training under his belt.

[Updated on: Wed, 20 September 2017 08:22]

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699171 is a reply to message #699117 ]
Thu, 21 September 2017 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Latest cuts. No real surprises.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-reduce-camp-r oster/c-291243596?tid=281885062

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699172 is a reply to message #699171 ]
Thu, 21 September 2017 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 21 September 2017 15:44

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-reduce-camp-r oster/c-291243596?tid=281885062

Chad Butcher has an AHL deal with Bakersfield, does that mean he's Oilers property? Being released from his tryout contract means he has to play the year out in Bakersfield I'm assuming.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699173 is a reply to message #699172 ]
Thu, 21 September 2017 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Thu, 21 September 2017 16:09

Chad Butcher has an AHL deal with Bakersfield, does that mean he's Oilers property? Being released from his tryout contract means he has to play the year out in Bakersfield I'm assuming.

Yeah, he has to play out his AHL contract. His ATO is just to try to take a chance to show his stuff at the NHL level. Don't think he is Oilers property beyond his AHL contract though. He can move on after that is over. Might even be allowed to sign an NHL deal mid-season with any team actually.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 September 2017 16:21]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699179 is a reply to message #699173 ]
Thu, 21 September 2017 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 21 September 2017 16:18

WhoreableGuy wrote on Thu, 21 September 2017 16:09

Yeah, he has to play out his AHL contract. His ATO is just to try to take a chance to show his stuff at the NHL level. Don't think he is Oilers property beyond his AHL contract though. He can move on after that is over. Might even be allowed to sign an NHL deal mid-season with any team actually.

Correct. If someone else decides they want him, they can snap him up to an NHL deal. I think he'd likely be subject to waivers if they wanted to assign him though, so they can't just snag him to go play on a different AHL team. Unlikely he'll get an NHL deal from anyone at this point, but strong showing probably helps his chances of sticking with Bakersfield where they don't have much for scorers.

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699193 is a reply to message #699179 ]
Fri, 22 September 2017 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Pakarinen wired a shot off Talbot's head that stung him and pissed off Talbot in practice. If I am Chia, I walk down from where ever he watches practice and tells Pakarinen "You are done, get out. Anyone else want to go head hunting?" icon_lol

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699331 is a reply to message #699005 ]
Fri, 29 September 2017 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Couple interesting points in Lowetide's blog this morning:

- Klefbom not on the ice at practice. Hopefully something minor, but that is a bit distressing. If they start the season without 2 of their top 3 defencemen, that's a problem

- McLellan shuffling the lines in practice:

Line 1: Patrick Maroon—Connor McDavid—Leon Draisaitl.
Line 2: Milan Lucic—Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Kailer Yamamoto.
Line 3: Jussi Jokinen—Ryan Strome—Drake Caggiula.
Line 4: Jujhar Khaira—Mark Letestu—Zack Kassian.
Extra/AHL: Iiro Pakarinen—Chris Kelly—Jesse Puljujarvi.

Have to believe that McLellan is at least considering starting Drai with McDavid to start the season if he's putting them together this late in camp. Makes sense on one hand, as the Oilers do not have a proven, legitimate top 6 RW on their roster right now (other than Drai). On the other hand, it allows other teams to focus more on the top line as I'm not sure that 3rd line is going to outscore a lot of teams. That puts a lot of pressure on the 2nd line to go up against top competition and win that battle.

http://lowetide.ca/2017/09/29/tumbling-dice-7/

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699332 is a reply to message #699331 ]
Fri, 29 September 2017 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

I'd like to see a line of Lucic - Drai - Yamamoto.
Two big bodies plus the skill of Yamamoto. Drai is a fantastic playmaker, and Yamamoto and Lucic can both finish.

Guess that'd mean Strome or Nuge would need to play 1RW though. Or Caggiula I guess. He seemed to play well with McDavid last season.

Would sure be nice to have a skilled veteran top six RW though...(I think I remember saying that last year too)

Re: Oilers Training Camp 2017 [message #699333 is a reply to message #699331 ]
Fri, 29 September 2017 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

Listened to Chiarelli talking to Bob Stauffer just now. Sounds like there's a good chance we're going to see Yamamoto kept over Puljujarvi based on the inability to recall Yamamoto once they send him down. Here's hoping this is only a short audition, although it's the Oilers so who knows. I'm going to tear hair out if we burn another entry level season on an 18 year old high-end pick who isn't likely to be competing for the Calder...

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pre-Season Game 8 - Oilers @ Canucks
Next Topic:Pre-Season Game 7 - Canes vs Oilers (@Saskatoon)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca